Jason Campbell's Reaction/Sean Leading Pro Bowl Vote Getter

The young QB got emotional as he made a statement regarding Sean a little while ago:

"Sean was a dear friend to all of us. We're all like a family and it's like we lost a family member. Through this tragedy we all have to try to pull together, stay strong for each other. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, his girlfriend, his little girl. It's a tough situation right now. Sean was a great person, I just wish that everyone had the opportunity to get a chance to know him because if you just sit down and you talk to Sean one-on-one, he's a special person, and you know, he's a great person and he had all the intentions of trying to do the right things for people in the community. If you just look at him from the way that he's changed in the last year, it's just been outstanding to have the opportunity to spend time with him because he's just a special person. He will truly be missed by all of us, we'll hold him close to our hearts, and it's just a tough situation right now. "

Also, Dan Steinberg reports that he spoke to people at the NFL and that when the next round of fan balloting is updated this week, Sean will be the leading vote getter among all NFC free safeties. Through the end of Monday Sean had 129,605 votes.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 1:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goodell's Statement
Next: Pedro Taylor Statement

Comments

He was the the best safety we ever had along with Ken Houston. He should be inducted at the next home game into the Skins Ring of Honor.

Posted by: freedom0125 | November 27, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Take a moment and go vote for sean...

Posted by: bjcgolf1 | November 27, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

YEA... GO SEAN. CAN SOMEONE CAST A VOTE FOR ME I CANNOT ACCESS THE SITE FROM WORK

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Vote early, vote often. There isn't much we can do as fans to show how much we cared for Sean, but this is something.

Posted by: blee | November 27, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

No one can say he'll win the vote count out of sympathy votes... Sean Taylor earned his way to the Pro Bowl and I would like to see the NFL celebrate his passion for the game in some way.

Posted by: Dorf | November 27, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I WISH I COULD WATCH TO SEE WHAT GIBBS SAYS

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Can someone cast a vote for me....it's blocked at my office.

What a sad day in Redskins history, sucha tragic loss.

Posted by: skinsfan4ever21 | November 27, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this strait from all the people that keep bringing up his history:

If a person makes some mistakes in their life, then they deserve to die? Or "had it coming?". I mean that is basically what you thoughtless people are saying.

Please just stop it....not today. Find some other mouthpiece...write it down in your own blog or journal, but all the negative comments are totally unwarranted, often times getting facts wrong or adding details that were never confirmed. (ie. I heard Sean's lawyer and at least one other on street reporter clarify that in the gun charge Sean never actually had a gun and that was the charge from the thugs that attacked him, and not how it actually went down).

Let's look at it a bit closer.

The gun charge was alleged...fellony charges were dropped. In fact the real criminals in that case were never charged, and he almost had to face 48 years in jail for a situation where he was just trying to defend himself from some violent people. Should he have tried to take the law into his own hands?...no of course not. He like so many of us when we were younger was a bit wreckless and probably felt invincible. But plenty of you reading this now...did some stupid *ss ish in your life, or have had children or loved ones that did...should they die for it? Should they be taken away from their family and friends because of a mistake or two they made? yes it happens and yes we should be more careful all of us in our dealings everyday. But we are not and we all take risks and make questionable decisions all the time. Cut the crap...stand up from your computer and go take a look in the mirror and be glad you are still alive.

The DWI...dropped because of video that revealed the cop was basically jsut picking on Taylor (maybe because of race, maybe the car he was driving, maybe a combo) and the charges there were dropped.

Not showing up for the rookie symposium or reporting to training camp? Really that makes him a thug? So he's the first player ever to hold out? Hummmm guess I've been watching a different NFL than you all.

Spitting on Pittman? Once again unless I'm watching a different NFL than you all pretty sure he is not the first or last person to do something like that...and I can't defend this one at all...But this one event in an emotional playoff game where he lost control for minute, makes him a Thug? Should be sentenced to death for it?

These are the only negative things I've seen mentioned. Or does simply attending the U make you a criminal?

And then you take all that stuff and put it all together...and even suppose he verbally or in some way angered someone..if this was a "hit" so to speak. So you are saying now if you simply say the wrong things to the wrong people then you deserve to die?

Just stop with all the hatred and negativity today...don't take your miserable lives and outlook on life, out on us! Just let it rest for a day or two and let the sensitive emotional people grieve. You really are despicable people to even continue to mention it. You all seem full of hatred and I really feel sorry for all of you that just can't keep your mouths shut for a day after a human being that impacted (pun intended) the lives of so many people in so many ways. The negativity is unwarranted, and has no basis in facts, just media speculation.

That said: I've been following your blog for two days Jason, and you have done a stellar job! Thank you so much! I can only imagine how physically and emotionally wrecked you and the others that have been working to bring us the most up to date news on this tragedy. Hang in there we really appreciate it.

Also I love the idea of putting up a Taylor statue infront of FedEx...and following it up with more Skins greats in the future and/or putting 21 in the ring of fame...at least retire his number. I know I wouldn't feel right wearing a Skins 21 jersey anymore. I mean after all had he not been hurt playing for the Skins doing what he loved to do then there is a chance this might not even have happened. I don't bring that up as a what if...not much for what ifs (unless you are talking about what a great player he would have been).

Which brings up the pro bowl. I really would like to see the NFL go ahead and posthumously elect him to this year's Pro Bowl. We certainly should all go vote...but really think the NFL should step up and do this. He did/does still lead the NFC in picks, and probably would have gone to the Pro Bowl had this tragedy not happened. This is unprecedented for an NFL team to loose such an important player in such a manner right in the middle of the season. I think this would be a very good president for the NFL to set.

Ok now I have to take my leave of this blog and the internet and TV in general. I've been crying on and off all day, which is what I was going to talk about earlier in the day...but so many other people have talked about it so eloquently. How they felt yesterday, last night, and then when we all got floored by the news this morning.

I've been moved in particular by all the other fans from other teams showing their support and saying things like "We are all Redskins today"...hell making me tear up just typing it.

OH and all of you asshamed of crying over some guy you didn't even know...don't be. I'm a guy that doesn't cry much, but there were times this morning that I just couldn't stop. Every time I think about some other aspect of it I break down a bit. I'm a stay at home dad for a 2 going on 3 year old, and I was up pretty much all night and when I found out the news this morning. I of course cried for a bit while trying to watch the news and read this blog and the vast majority of wonderful heartfelt comments, through tear-reddened eyes...but then I went right up stairs and just held my baby girl, and reflected on how fragile life is.

Oh and Chick Hernandez and Larry Michale were even getting pretty choked up talking about it on Redskins radio this morning.

So to you people that just don't get it...have no souls, were never loved by anyone...or whatever your problem is (and you do have a problem). Give it a break STFU. Go get a mirror and spend the rest of the day checking out how perfect you are...just make sure you don't fall out of your F**king Ivory Towers.

Sean will be remembered very fondly by the people that matter. Love most of you all for coming together like this, and hope to see some of you out there at Skins Park later this evening.

Thanks again Jason...and the rest of the fans, and even non-fans that have sent all the wonderfully heartfelt thoughts, that have at least made this day a bit more bearable for me. Helps alot to know we are all experiencing this roller coaster of emotion together.

Go Vote!

Posted by: rbfett | November 27, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay Jessie,

I just voted for you!

Love your spirit but your all caps entries are hurting my eyes. Better not to capitalize at all.....

Posted by: mmok | November 27, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Has he been removed from the list?

Posted by: Soup17 | November 27, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Soup17, you have to scroll down on the free safety list.

Posted by: mmok | November 27, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the caps. My computer system at work will only recognize caps and I keep switching back and forth between this and work. Sorry.
Thank you for the vote !!

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Thank you rbfett. All these negatvie comments are idiotic. So does that mean that anyone with a bad past who gets up out of bed in the middle of the night to defend his wife and child and dies because of it desreves it. If that is the case ( everyone is making it seem that way) than the world is screwed.
If you don't have anything nice to say, STFU

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

No worries Jessie - I figured it was something like that. Glad to vote for you.

Posted by: mmok | November 27, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Jessie seems like a totally different person without the CAPS. I like your spirit. Work hard, blog harder.

Posted by: Dorf | November 27, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

if you hit submit on the probowl ballot page but don't fill out the survey, will your vote count?

Posted by: tedunni1 | November 27, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am just a die hard Redskin fan and this shi* really irks my last nerve, I am a scorpio so my tolerence is short to begin with. Today we are all Redskin fans, and anything else other than heartfelt sympathy should not be posted anywhere.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

We were lucky to have him for just a few years. I've never experienced anything like this in 40 years as a sports fan. It's hard to see the rest of the season having any meaning even if ST would have wanted the team to fight on. God bless you Sean, and your beautiful family.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 27, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Sunday will be very interesting to watch, very hard, but very interesting.

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The emial from ST's dad is up
next topic

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord. I still can't believe this, can somebody tell me how to get over this.

Posted by: nunzio768 | November 27, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Mmok, can you vote for me too, can't get passed our firewall...and you know, maybe vote once, or twice, or twenty times for me?

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 27, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Jessie- You can vote after work, it doesn't end today. Also, you can vote more than once.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I already voted for him and will do so again from home with a new IP addy.

But I'm curious about something here. What happens if he does win? Will the NFL honor him in some appropriate fashion at the Pro Bowl? Seriously, what happens in this situation?

Posted by: spg2dd | November 27, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

just want to echo rfbett. very well put.

Posted by: sschreiberg | November 27, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse