Skins to Have Minicamp Population Explosion

The Redskins, I am told, may have 113 players at their three-day mini-camp that begins today at Redskins Park. That's quite a crowd and a number has some coaches scratching their heads. All veterans will attend (although some who are recovering from injuries will not participate), plus the rookies and a bunch of non-roster invitees.

In the past when the Redskins have put so many groups of players together it has made it more difficult for coaches to evaluate all that is going on. Several coaches have raised injury concerns, as well, with primo players sharing a practice field with guys who soon will be working for UPS. Given the fact there are still holes on this team, there's a need to keep looking at players, but it will be interesting to see what comes of this. When the numbers have topped 100 in the past, those here for a tryout generally left feeling like they got so few reps that they never had a shot. In most cases they don't have a shot, anyway.

If nothing else, it will keep us shlubs on our toes as we try to tsee who is doing what.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 30, 2009; 3:02 PM ET
Categories:  Jason La Canfora , Minicamp Share This:  E-Mail | Technorati | Del.icio.us | Digg | Stumble Previous: The QB Question, Favre and Vick
Next: Haynesworth on Anger, Youth and Football

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Does anyone know if Greg Blache endorsed or is excited about Orapko? I would be very disappointed if he turned into a Lavar and didn’t hit the field because he doesn’t fit/get the coach’s system or isn’t the apple of his eye….I don’t get any redskins radio or tv stuff up here in DE…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

If he is anything like Lavar out the gates that would be fantastic, worry about the fit further down the line.
catch the license plate number on that Mack truck yet Troy.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Someone suggested that the D might go hybrid 4-3/3-4 this season. It seems like with all the influx of new D players, most notably Albert H, this might be a serious possibility.

Any new information out there?

How would you array the players in a 3-4, given the players available?

Posted by: _Stumped

We're thin at LB, deep along the the DL. 4-3 makes more sense, especially since its a run-oriented division.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"So right now I'm posting some left field stuff.
***Dwayne Wade Bashing Post***
On a side note, Truth you're 100% correct. Dwayne Wade is vastly overrated. Right now there is LeBron and Kobe, then there is everyone else. Wade can't shoot, all he does is drive to the basket, and if he's breathed on wrong a foul is called. The NBA wanted him to become the next MJ with Kobe's image tarnished and LeBron not quiet ready as a frontman. It was evident in the '06 finals when he attempted more free throws than the entire Mavericks team in six games.

Posted by: RedDMV"

I am impressed by Red!

For some reason, I've never cared for DWade or his game. I've tried to figure out why, and I think it clicked two games ago.

I was watching him and he is the definition of a ballhog. Some say Kobe is, but not nearly to the extent of Wade. I'm watching Wade and almost everytime he tries to get the ball he shoots. And if someone steps in front of him, he'll switch in mid-jumpshot and haul it over to his teammate. He rarely makes a crisp pass that hits someone for a perfect shot in stride. On a fastbreak, he'll make the good pass, but it makes him look good doing so. He doesn't deliver it on the spot like a Jason Kidd would. I think his teammates get assists from him in spite of his passes, not because of his passes.

And he's just selfish, and I hate to say it but I'm not buying his injuries are as bad as he makes 'em out to be. When they start losing, he starts hurting. When he's on offense but doesn't have the ball, he's hurting, but when he gets the ball he's 100%.

I just really don't buy him as a player.

And I really never had a reason to dislike him as a person up until I really put some thought into it, so I'm not a hater. It was good to see a new face step up when he won the finals, but I think a player like Chris Paul or Lebron, or even Kobe could do a lot better on that team if you switch them out with Wade.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"35-40 spots on the roster are set. Let those guys play in a separate area. Eval the others separately. I don't want some 420 lb guy on a diet falling onto Renaldo Wynn

Posted by: zcezcest1"

you better hope Wynn never lines up against Mike Williams in practice then....

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo doesn't have the speed or power of LaVar. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

LaVar and Sean Taylor were once in a lifetime players.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"How would you array the players in a 3-4, given the players available?

Posted by: _Stumped_"

--------------------Fletcher----McIntosh---------------------
--Orakpo----------------------------------------------Carter----
-------------Griffin---Haynesworth---Daniels-------------

Subs:
Wilson and Jackson for Orakpo and Carter
Blades for Fletch and Mac
Monty, Golston, Alexander, and Wynn for the front three

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | April 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Who wins this Saturday

The Hit Man or Pac-Man

Posted by: LoyalOpposition1 | April 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Bret Hart Vs. Adam Jones?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

jasno

'...Several coaches have raised injury concerns, as well, with primo players sharing a practice field with guys who soon will be working for UPS...'

The bags are packed.

I'm not in shape, but hey, if there are 113 guys trying out, who'll notice?

I once was a cornerback--6'0" 195 lbs. 4.54 forty, bad hands. Fearless hitter though.

But that was 25 years ago. Te only thing I hit now is a keyboard and a couch.

I weight 235 now, so looks like me and Robert Thomas will be battlin' for a special teams job and a back up linebacker spot.

I won't fall asleep during meetings.

I won't sell tickets I 'procured'.

I'll tell Prince Albert he looks good in burgandy n goldand offer to drive him to his court dates.

I'll wake up Fred Davis.

I'll blast my Brandon Lloyd cds in the lockerroom while we're getting ready to practice.

I'll stay medium and already know the words to the 'hip hip hooray' cheer.

I'll change my name to Leigh Torrence and Jasno will give me a big write up about the 45 year old special teamer who got knocked the f!ck out while covering a punt.

I'd give anything to try out for the team...provided I don't get hit by some 22 year old trying to get paid.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins haven't made their offense better going into 2009. The only guys who could be upgrades over the 2008 version are last years draft picks and Campbell himself.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse"

Not exactly true. Samuels could upgrade himself simply by staying healthy. Same with Randy Thomas. Same with Santana Moss. And when they were, this was a top 10 offense (like in the beginning of the season).

Of course, those are big ifs...

Posted by: psps23

trouble is, these guys have trouble staying healthy. How often has Moss been good for 16 games? How many times have Jansen and Thomas been dinged up in a major way? Even Heyer has had injury issues.

The point is that, if healthy, the Skins offense should be pretty good. That's true. But the Skins offense stayed (mostly) healthy for 8 games last year -- and its not getting any younger.

Fwiw, I still think the most overlooked moment from last year was when Santana strained his hammy vs Detroit. A fully healthy Moss for 16 games would have had the Skins in the playoffs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

'...The Hit Man or Pac-Man..'

Ricky Hattan...tko, long fight, boring stretches, but Hattan will will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1"

you better hope Wynn never lines up against Mike Williams in practice then....

Posted by: TheTruth11

exactly

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

'...The Hit Man or Pac-Man..'

Ricky Hattan...tko, long fight, boring stretches, but Hattan will will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Incorrect. Manny takes him out around 7-9

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Smoot: “I Don’t Even Know His Name”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 30, 2009, 3:19 p.m.

Washington Redskins veteran cornerback Fred Smoot took exception to rookie cornerback Kevin Barnes’ remarks that Smoot is “getting a little bit older,” according to David Elfin of the Washington Times.

A third-round draft pick from the University of Maryland, Barnes made the comment about Smoot on Sunday.

Smoot, who is 30, issued a rebuttal today, claiming complete ignorance of Barnes as a football player.

“They come in like that until they go to three days of [minicamp] and [then] they humble,” Smoot said. “It don’t bother me. I’m going to take him through some things. I haven’t seen the guy.

“I don’t even know his name and I love football so that tells you [something]. I know who’s going to get drafted where. I didn’t know the kid.”

Posted by: redskinsfanatic1 | April 30, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

also Moe- Manny doesn't fight boring fights and will not let hatton hold himw/o dotting his eyes for reaching in...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief

not sure I'd go with specimen quite yet, but the guy is huge and not a bowl of jello.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Truth and Red must be wizards fans to hate on DWade like that. Overrated, you cant be serious. He has the worst supporting cast in the playoffs and he is supposed to pass the ball to who, Jermaine Oneal? He is what his team needs him to be. Blocking over a 100 shots as a 6'4 guard, leading the league in scoring... There are only two players in the league that hold a torch to Dwade.Just because you dont like his game doesnt make him overrated it just makes you a hater.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams looks like "The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry.

Speaking of that, why don't we start drafting some of those WWE/TNA wrestlers?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You carry that weight around and just to get your ass outta bed everyday let alone compete with the other athletes. Always something. Can't just agree with anyone...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams looks like "The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry.

Speaking of that, why don't we start drafting some of those WWE/TNA wrestlers?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Roids, would be my guess

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's to second chances, let's hope Williams works out. It sounds like he's really motivated.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 30, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

stumped, I'll second that.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 30, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

JLC why in the world WOULD YOU EVEN RAISE FARVE'S NAME---it is ludicrous to EVEN THINK HE IS GOOD ENOUGH OR EVEN INTERESTED IN PLAYING FOR ANY NFL TEAM. I find this type of reporting to be "just filling space". The comments about Farve and Vick (to a lower extent) is cheap reporting worthy of the Washington Times.

Posted by: vergens2 | April 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: Hail2theChief

you look at 1 photo of they guy and say he's gonna make the team and expect people to agree. From 1 photo? Wow. Must be nice to live in such a simple world

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

It's not hard to be positive bro. Just choose to be. It's alot easier than being negative and always needing to have the last word, which i will give to you...fire away

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

'...The Hit Man or Pac-Man..'

Ricky Hattan...tko, long fight, boring stretches, but Hattan will will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________

You must not watch too many Pacquaio fights because his fights have NEVER been boring. Actually, most fights in this weight class aren't boring. These 2 will go at each other, with Pacquiao scoring a KO in the 8th.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | April 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Uh, damn. He doesn't look near as jiggly as I thought he would. I can see why they would be willing to give him a shot.

Posted by: will_ga | April 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | April 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That sure sounds familiar, hhmmm?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | April 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

A couple few threads ago, I posted a cut-and-paste from some beat writer in Buffalo singing the likely praises of Michael Oher. My primary point was to be sarcastic re: Jasno haters who read his "I would have gone for a OT" to be prototypical Skins bashing by a closet Ravens fan. [I disagree with that read because I think football is football, I'm a fan of the game, such as].

That said, I agree with the Skins move to take the BPA at a position of need at #13 ... and I'm ecstatic that Orakpo was that BPA. I think Orakpo was the BDPAITD (best defensive player available in the draft) or in the top two (I think, and always have, that Malcolm Jenkins is a stud ... but Skins don't need another CB ... though Jenkins could have been the free safety of the future ... but I digress).

I've been scanning this here blog and the interwebs for days and STILL cannot find that any interwebtube writer even NOTICED that Duke Robinson fell from being a near consensus top OG available into the fourth round.

Has ANYBODY found ANYTHING on that?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hail, you gave a range, I'm going exact.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | April 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Skins to Have Minicamp Population Explosion" ... I thought Mike Williams (OT) would not be attending the mini-camp, much less using the commodes at the Park.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

113 is not a big number when comparing it across the league.

Every team has over 100 players, and a few have more than 113.

NO NEWS IS NO NEWS....

Want news (Cork)? Here you go.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | April 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That sure sounds familiar, hhmmm?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Incorrect. Manny takes him out around 7-9

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Pac-Man if he can get thru the 1st 5 rounds.

Not worth my $60 to watch. I'll catch next week on the HBO replay.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

regarding the post of using a hyrbid 4-3/3-4 D

I think we could pull it off A. Carter has some experience playing OLB and if B. Orakpo can develop into a 3-4 OLB on certain situations then i dont see why we could employ 3-4 sets

with P. Daniels, A. Haynesworth, & R. Wynn up front and A. Carter, HB Blades, L. Feltcher, & B. Orakpo
as our LBs im sure we can use this package during certain situations and create some havoc or confusion at the least

thats one thing i would like to see more on our D, some wrinkles and and exotic schemes. thats one of the reasons i loved g. williams, his schemes were so complicated its hard to diagnose. We may have one of the best Ds in the league but with out that confusion factor our turnover rate will suffer like it did last season

Posted by: mehtadman87 | April 30, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else here on PSN?

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

first softball game of the year is tonight, i'm stoked about that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 30, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Good luck greg, drink a few for us

Posted by: Hail2theChief | April 30, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Let me run this by you guys...Alot of us here (me included) have biched (spelling intentional) and griped about the lack of young blood on the O line and the ever-aging, often injured guys we have there now. Others say that with the upgrades to the D, we'll be rolling our way to the Super Bowl...riiiight.

Let's take a look at last season. Through eight games, the O line was (relatively) healthy and we went 6-2. Then in the second half, lineman were dropping like Brittany Spears undies and we went 2-6. First half 165 points, second half 100 points. Not great production in eihter half, but still a significant drop-off.

I think our misgivings about not addressing the O line needs are valid, based on these stats alone (add in Portis' stats from the first and second halves and now you've really added fuel to the fire).

Bottom line: IF they stay healthy, IF Jansen has a "Pro Bowl year" as he's professed, IF Reinhart finds his way to the line of scrimmage this season and plays even reasonably up to his Bugel-expexted potential, IF Dockery bounces back from a not-so-good couple of seasons in Buffalo, IF they can sufficiently block for Portis/Betts and keep JC vertical, IF the few guys they've added drop weight, get in shape and provide DEPTH...we SHOULD be okay.

I know, I know, alot of IF's there, but this is not simply speculation...without a healthy, productive O line, we'll never stand a chance at anything resembling a strong playoff run.

Just my twenty two cents (inflation, don't cha know!).

Posted by: tripz | April 30, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

What's PSN?

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

thanks hail....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Has ANYBODY found ANYTHING on that?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:09 PM

Not yet. I've looked as well and haven't found a reason why Duke dropped so far. All I have seen is he might have motivation issues that scared teams off.

Posted by: will_ga | April 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

What's PSN?

Posted by: 4thFloor

That's what I do alot of, after too many BRS.

Posted by: tripz | April 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I see what SMACK was talking about when I threw my hat behind Biden. Thanks SMACK. I know see the light!

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

They forgot to ask the FASTEST man in the world....BOLT!

At least he would stretch the field....

Posted by: mmagua | April 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

... with P. Daniels, A. Haynesworth, & R. Wynn up front and A. Carter, HB Blades, L. Fletcher, & B. Orakpo ...

Posted by: mehtadman87 | April 30, 2009 4:13 PM

I see that I'm not the only one having a mental block remembering that Skins still have Cornelius Griffin ... not only is Haynesworth going to physically occupy the middle the line, he is also doing it psychologically.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, Biden had cancer and is in remission (not to mention slightly crazy in his off-the-cuff remarks). Cancer survivors tend to have a heightened level of freakoutedness about contagious disease and pathogens in general b/c cancer treatment lowers immune system performance.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LaVar and Sean Taylor were once in a lifetime players.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse
=========

LaVar was not a once in a lifetime player. There are plenty of physically talented underachievers that flame out every year.

He had the talent, but not the drive. Sean Taylor had both.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | April 30, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

LaVar and Sean Taylor were once in a lifetime players.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Oh good grief. I'll buy that had he lived, taylor may have proven to be something approaching that, but LaVar?

Hardly. When even JoPa disses a guy for being a me-first freelancer, I listen. Seeing him on the field, frequently out of position, listening to him whine about having to put his hand in the dirt, watching him claim it's everybody's fault but his regarding his contract...wish they'd passed on him.

Best line I ever saw about LaVar was by a coach when he left the Redskins and then signed with the Gints. They were asked if the team as worried he'd take defensive playbook secrets with him to New York.

"Tell you the truth, i don't think LaVar ever knew the playbook" was the response.

As long as football is a team game, I don't want him on mine.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mehtadman87 | April 30, 2009 4:13 PM

My hunch is that the base package would look more like ... Daniels, Griffin, Haynesworth, Carter in the front and McIntosh, Fletcher, Orakpo behind them (as viewed from above ... with the opposing team on top).

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

regarding the post of using a hyrbid 4-3/3-4 D

Posted by: mehtadman87 | April 30, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with Corn Griffin instead of Wynn and Rock Mac instead of Blades. A 3-4 uses two ILBs, but not usually two MLB-types. You'll have a true MLB like a Ray Lewis and then a WLB.

Posted by: PatM1 | April 30, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Sweeny....

No one has knocked me off the Huckabee bandwagon yet....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

NO NEWS IS NO NEWS....

Want news (Cork)? Here you go.....

--POSTED BY 4th FLOOR

"Pats drafted first European

By David Elfin
Moony Newser

Leave it to New England's wily Bill Belichick, the only coach to win three Super Bowls during the past 20 seasons, to select the first European-trained NFL draft choice."

OH MY GOD!!! STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

4th if that would have been in the Post instead of your Moony paper you'd have written "Who cares about this crud. How about some real news about our team.

NE takes a Euro. What a SCOOP!!!!

I smell......PULITZER!!!!

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Even in the 4-3 set, the strong safety is usually coming in to act like a floating WLB.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Bob Oates, a sportswriter who covered 39 consecutive Super Bowls and was the last surviving member of the original Pro Football Hall of Fame selection panel, has died at 93.

Oates died Monday from age-related causes at his home in suburban Baldwin Hills, his son, Bob Jr., told The Associated Press on Thursday.

*****
fwiw, Oates was a big supporter of Art Monk on his way to the HOF

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief

Unless he's wearing a reinforced girdle, the cat handles his 404 pounds well.

Any who've fought the battle of the Bulge wish him success--but know the odds against it.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

No one has knocked me off the Huckabee bandwagon yet....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

You may not notice it when it happens. That thing's been so much closer to the ground since the wheels came off.

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, the only band wagons that I am currently on are the bandwagons for: Brian Orakpo; Jason Campbell; having at least seven draft picks next year; Jim Zorn; and Munchos brand snack chips.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have no reason to go 3-4. They are a good defense playing a 4-3.

Its tempting to think about it, since Wilson, Orakpo and Carter are tweener size. But its a re-learning process that isn't necessary.

I think we leave Carter on the DL. Try Orakpo at DE and LB, see where he fits best. Wilson showed some promise 2 years ago as a speed rusher, but regressed a year ago, not sure if he's really going to make it at either spot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

It's too early for me. I have to take a vaction from the draft hype it was.....

I don't see Orakpo doing big things this year. Maybe spurts. But I see a #1 Defense built to win now before LFB gets put out to pasture.

Cork - I was pulling your chain for calling me out randomly when I was just an innocent bystander.

What happened to the new and improved Cork? I miss him already.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Ozzie Newsome was a Hall of Fame player. His talent evaluation skills are just as legendary. ...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2009 12:07 PM

One of the draft puzzlers was how "wise old heads" like Newsome and Bill Parcells could act so out of character. When Newsome shot up the draft board to pick a player who was dropping like a rock he made a risky pick that he could have just as well made if he had held his ground. Ditto Parcells. He did not have to blow a 2nd rounder on White. There was talk he might not even be drafted. I guess Parcells feels that having White will be worth it in terms of time his opponents will have to take away from normal preparation to work on defensing a "wildcat" scheme. Good luck on that.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether there is a bandwagon available yet, but if there is a re-sign Khary Campbell and for more than vet minimum, I'm on it.

I don't care that he's "only" a special teamer, he's a good one. Plus, his Smoot nickname is Stache.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I smell fertilizer...

Posted by: tripz | April 30, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

4th, I totally see Orakpo ready to contribute and contribute significantly right away. It will be interesting to see whether Blache is a stingy with 1st rounder playing time as Grilliams was. I remember that Sean Taylor didn't start till midseason, Landry a little sooner, but seems like DE is a position where he could start right away, and that strong side requires a little less than weakside re: OLBs.

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

By David Elfin
Moony Newser
Posted by: TheCork |

Did the evil Moonies steal your lunch money when you were a kid? Otherwise, why blast a guy for who signs his pay check? I'm sure most would love to get paid to cover the skins.

Posted by: will_ga | April 30, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

easy zcez,
The whole hyrid D; it's just jibba jabba.

...completely hypocritical.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"And I really never had a reason to dislike him as a person up until I really put some thought into it, so I'm not a hater."
Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 30, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

You put some thought into it, huh? And because you thought about it you're not a hater? What caused you to spend more than 5 seconds thinking about whether or not you liked him as a person?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | April 30, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Spoken like someone who's been there. First of all, Moe, my condolences. Second, is your wife's performance available on DVD yet, by chance?

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 12:05 PM

Yes it is. The DVD's title is "Misty Moe" and it is available at Walmarts everywhere.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 30, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

A group of top undrafted players currently playing. Pretty impressive. Among the notables with local ties, Ryan Clark and London Fletcher.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2009 12:07 PM"

Nah, I just pasted it from somebody else. I respect Ozzie, but he's made plenty of mistakes as a GM. Seems to be a lot better at picking linemen than other positions -- up til Flacco, that is.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone should know something... a few years back, I fingered "The Cork" at a Halloween party... talk about a case of stinky pinky!

Posted by: noseman4681 | April 30, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

This may have been posted already but I found this PFT blurb funny:

Smoot: “I Don’t Even Know His Name”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 30, 2009, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 30, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myskinsr1 | April 30, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

113 players? Are you sure Mike Williams didn't get counted more than once? He looks like 2-3 people.

Posted by: skinswest | April 30, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"the redskins blog has a picture of Williams taken today. travel over there and take a look. He is a physical specimen. I was expecting something much, much worse. He will make the squad barring injury...
Posted by: Hail2theChief "

Weird thing about Williams is, he's so WIDE. Looks as big around as he is tall. With the long arms (and they don't look underdeveloped, either), it could be a real challenge for a defender just to get around the guy.

Then there's the dismal record in Buffalo, and not much more at Jacksonville...

Dockery never played well for the Bills, either. But he did extremely well here. Took a lot of time, but he turned into a real NFL guard. Maybe the same thing can happen for Williams.

I'm wondering if he doesn't start at RT and Heyer doesn't split time with Chris Samuel on the left.

Oh well. It's like spring training -- all the pitchers look dangerous.

I don't know what to expect from him. He certainly looks like he's in better shape than Andre Smith, even at 400 pounds.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 30, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Yea, that Mike Williams guy looks frickin' huge. Not in horrible shape either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 30, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

YAWN JOURNALISM

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 30, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the new and improved Cork? I miss him already.....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Ulcer

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, sound the alarm. Chris Samuels looks like he has lost a ton of weight in the offseason.

yikes!!!!

Posted by: daimon_junk | April 30, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga

Sorry. Don't like religious cults. They've given us Scientology, Tom Cruise, Jim Jones and the people he led to their deaths, Waco, those poor gullible bustards who thought a comet came to pick them up.

Plus as a movie critic I had to sit through "Inchon," three hours of my life I'll never get back.

I don't blast the writer. I blast the guy who posted the piece here billboarding it as "real news." But where do you draw the line as far as "blasting the guy who signs your paycheck." "Rev." Moon? Goebbels? The Ayatollah? Carrot top?

Posted by: TheCork | April 30, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Has ANYBODY found ANYTHING on that?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:09 PM

No. But we will add him to the "dropped like a rock" list that includes Oher and Maulayoua. Will that make you happy?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 30, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Right.

And Muhammed Ali could mount a comeback if he would just keep himself from being punch-drunk all the time...

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Smoot: “I Don’t Even Know His Name”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 30, 2009, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 30, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Smoot will have plenty of opportunities to learn the kid's name Barnes takes the 3rd CB position and Smoot is holding his helmet on the sideline...

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I too wondered why the Skins took a project "LB" in the 5th round over OG Robinson or OT Meredith??? They were predicted to go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in most mock drafts; so a lot of NFL scouts and coaches mush have discovered something that the amateurs missed.

I gather the Skins didn't think those players could make the team; but it would be nice to see an article dedicated to the subject...

Posted by: siris | April 30, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Vinny did mention that the Williams tryout and signing may have been a decisive factor in not drafting any offensive linemen. He has potential as a RT or RG; provided he gets in shape and regains his old form -- he's only 29. Obviously, coach Bugel was impressed with the workout. Plus a Redskins.com press release stated he'd be in the mix for the starting RT position, with Jansen and Heyer.

The Skins did pick up both a C/G (Williams) and OT (Burley) from the undrafted free agent pool. They knew about those guys, because they both attended the local college tryout day at Redskins Park and I gather the Skins had them on their draft board. I hope they get lucky and find another NFL player gem in the rough -- like Heyer.

Posted by: siris | April 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Has ANYBODY found ANYTHING on that?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:09 PM
=============================================

Robinson was dropping for a while.

I recall seeing him listed at the bottom of the 1st round mocks back in January. Post Combine he seemed to be down to 2nd - 3rd round at best.

From Walter Football:

Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
You have to give the NFL Network's Mike Mayock a ton of credit for calling out Duke Robinson's pass-blocking inconsistencies on tape.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 30, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Williams is sucking in his gut in that picture. You can see from his face he's about to pop. You can't be 410 pounds and not have a lot of fat. He may have been working out but he is going to need to burn the pounds and this is a guy whose heart has been questioned in the past. I hope he makes it, because he could be at force 350 lbs. So far, though, it has just been hype and it smells too much like Vinny trying to make us believe he was wise for not drafting O-line.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 30, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Kiper had Robinson pegged as a 4th rounder, so his slide may not have been too surprising. As mentioned before, some analyst said the guard position was a weak onw in this draft.

Posted by: TWISI | April 30, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope Williams succeeds as a Skin. He's a massive guy who'll generate plenty of shade.

Lets hope he's got the talent and desire to do good things. If he can get a push on 3rd and short or down by the goal line, he's got value.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 30, 2009 8:02 PM | ==========================================

On the other hand, the draft was very good for centers, many of whom could also play guard.

So that might have had something to do with it too...why pick a guard if you can pick a c/g?

21. Alex Mack
28. Eric Wood
49. Max Unger
77. Antoine Caldwell
106. Jonathan Luigs

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 30, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

--------------------Fletcher----McIntosh--------------
--_____Orakpo------------------------------Carter----
-------------Griffin---Haynesworth---Daniels------------

Where do you get this stuff? Haynesworth at NOSE TACKLE!!!! You must smokin's some really strange weed dude?

You D-Line would be
LDE Daniels
NT Griffin Golston
RDE Montgomery

Carter does not like playing linebacker in the 3-4. He tried that in SF. So, I suspect you would end up with

Orapko
Blades
Fletcher
McIntosh/Wilson

Posted by: priestholmes | April 30, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Ooopps my bad.

Your D-Line would be
LDE Daniels/Montgomery
NT Griffin Golston
RDE Haynesworth/Jackson

Posted by: priestholmes | April 30, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Right.

Posted by: p1funk | April 30, 2009

I'm tellin' ya psps23 been smoking some strange stuff prolly drinkin' too! Dude, past 30 you don't get better after those kind of injuries you get decidedly worst ... its why I was hoping they could get a top LT in the draft. It would extend Samuel's career to move him to RT. And he is way to valuable to lose in a year or two to some new set of injuries! They really do need him out there. Not on the IR.

Posted by: priestholmes | April 30, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009

If he even looks like he is going to be in playing shape he will make the final cuts. Unfortunately, I foresee him at left tackle not right if the injuries start pulling at Samuel's. The same injury caught Thomas a couple years ago. Now look at him. He was almost crippled last year. Unless those chuckleheads Danny and Vinny get lucky and OL drop in their lap which I sincerely doubt ...

Posted by: priestholmes | April 30, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

'..Pac-Man if he can get thru the 1st 5 rounds. Not worth my $60 to watch. I'll catch next week on the HBO replay...'

So this is what boxing has become: big fight, but I'd rather what it next week?

What are the folks who run boxing thinking--the pay-per-view system is killing off the casual fan.

Plus: think of all the heavyweight type kids who watch football and play madden and never get caught up in the swell of anticipation that comes with a big fight. They become linebackers and tight ends.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Why do we assume that if the redskins picked any ol' o-lineman they would be a contributor?

Posted by: rickyroge | April 30, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Canfy, report to us how the janitorial services are at the Redskins park. Are the enough clean restrooms for players and staff? Tell us your expert opinion on the condition of the paint on the wall. We want to know, really!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 30, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Has ANYBODY found ANYTHING on that?

Posted by: dcsween | April 30, 2009 4:09 PM

I hadn't even heard about the Duke until his name started showing up on this blog at draft time when the Skins were about to pick in round 3 whereas I had heard several times before the draft about his teammate Phil Loadholt, who was picked in the 2nd round as expected, so I wouldn't get my panties bunched up over this if I were you. As to anomalies that were more notable than the Dukester landing on his royal arse, there were RBs and WRs that people were making a big fuss over that had really slow 40s at the Combine - 4.5 and 4.6. Moreno was a 12 pick with a 4.6 40 - ridiculous! Donald Brown had a 4.5. It used to be that nobody would even begin to think about selecting a RB in the 1st round unless the RB had at least a 4.4. For a while it seemed like maybe the timing maching was out of whack until DHB ripped off a 4.3. Another notable result from the draft was the fact that while the San man was selected at 5 there were no USC OL selected in the entire draft - none! A QB that can shine without an OL! Preposterous! Now THAT is a real head slapper! Going the other way, of the 3 elite OTs selected with the first 10 picks, how many had standout QBs? None that I know of. Hah!

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 30, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

So what do we do with the super-negative, always-critical, and Redskins-front-office-hating fans and reporters if the Redskins do well this year?

Will they shut their collective bong-holes for a short while? (at least until next year's draft)

(that includes you Canfy, better be ready to bend over for Vinny)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 30, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 30, 2009 10:02 PM

He wouldn't know. They won't let him in the door.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 30, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge

You don't assume. On the other hand, if you don't pick any OL, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll get zero OL help from the draft.

Also, if you want to win the lottery, it helps to buy a ticket.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 30, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | April 30, 2009 9:58 PM |
============================================
Strawman argument.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 30, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe is awesome.

La Canfora, not so much. This is another one of those negative just because I want to be posts that he likes to rile us up with.

Posted by: lordtwang | April 30, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 30, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

And that would be bad beacuse....??

Posted by: peaceful2008 | April 30, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think Smoot's "I'm going to take him through some things" means Barnes is going to be Smoot's SJK?

Posted by: Crunkenstein | May 1, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Crunkenstein | May 1, 2009

What can one say? Smoot sucks. That's why Barnes gets drafted in the 3rd round. Another injury guy. If he plays up to his potential Smooty hits the bench. If he has further injury complications Smooty gets to play.

Posted by: priestholmes | May 1, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

(deep breath)

Having watched events unfold and resisting the urge to comment until now...

I think the FO has done reasonably well. Trick formations aside, I think we'll see a 4-3 D next season and I look forward to seeing Rak the Sack causing chaos alongside Albert, both in sacks and in my favourite underrated category, TACKLES FOR LOSS!

The FO has obviously decided to roll the dice with the same O-Line, plus any non-draftees who do well in camp (hey, it worked for Joe Jacoby). I still think depth is an issue, but only having 4 picks means not much can be done til next year. We're almost set on D, a couple of LBs next year will do and the rest of next year's draft can be about the OL and who will come in to try and supplant comeback player of 09 Mike Williams.

Hey, we still need O-Line, but fans have been screaming for O-Line for at least 3 years. Hopefully, next year they get it done.

I don't rate the C*w*b*ys next year and I think the Iggles are being anointed before we know if their additions can play. Skins will be 10-6 and the NFC East wild card, thanks to improved health, a consistently shorter field for the O and production from the second year pass catchers.

Bear in mind that record is better than either NFC finalist last year (who were a combined 0-3 against the 'Skins).

It's May, positivity still rules! HTTR!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | May 1, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Any truth in the rumour that the FO didn't want to draft OL and give the 'Skins fans a new "hogs" until the swine flu problem has been solved?

Maybe not...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | May 1, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

You know, if you were bringing that many guys into this mini-camp, I would think the front office would have enough sense to staff the event accordingly with enough coaches. Since the league puts no restrictions on numbers of coaches, or how much you pay them, I think Deep Pockets Danny should spend some money to get a few more evaluators around for the weekend. What's it cost to get a Marty Schottenheimer for a weekend? Give him a few coaching wannabes, have him take a group of guys to another secure field, work them out and evaluate them. Marty has an eye for talent and the Dan could easily repair his relationship with him for a price. To me, it is silly to talk about not having enough chiefs around when you have the highest spending owner in the league.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 1, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I find it funny that PFT has more breaking Redskins news than "Redskins Insider"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 1, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

"Boxing is dying because the desire for pay-per-view money is killing off its audience.

Get the fights on tv so the average fan can tune in--otherwise, boxing and horse racing and bowling and track and field will all wind up in the same tiny window of the sports universe the NBA has been trying to avoid."

Couldn't agree more Moe. Everyone enjoys a good fight, from the Coliseum to the Octagon. Personally, I would much rather watch a major prize-fight in boxing than MMA. But I'm not going to spend money to watch boxing when I can watch 2 guys do spinning back-kicks for free on Spike. If they put the Pacquiao/Hatton fight on ESPN in primetime, the numbers would be out of this world. Pay-per-View and the lack of captivating/talented heavyweights has almost killed boxing.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Almost everyteam in the league brings in over a 100 players, as usual JLC is making a big deal out of nothing.

You dont bring in a coach to evaluate players that doesn't know the system, he has no idea how the players will fit what the team needs.

We have one of the biggest coaching staffs in the league already, no need for more.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

How did it go last night, did you whoop some a$$?

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | April 30, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse
The problem is, teams do not want to talk about players they did not draft. 2 reasons...If they bad-mouth someone by saying what was wrong with the player, they look stupid if they were wrong, and player has incentive to show them up when his team plays Skins. Best policy is "no comment."

Posted by: frediefritz | May 1, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

JLC, seriously...what do you do? What scoops do you provide?

How about instead of a useless article about soooo many people at camp...why dont you talk about those people? How about some inside info about the coaching staff, what they want to see out of certain positions, and who you think makes it based on what you have seen?

Man you are the most useless beat reporter EVAR.

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | May 1, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

How would you array the players in a 3-4, given the players available?

Posted by: _Stumped_"

--------------------Fletcher----McIntosh---------------------
--Orakpo----------------------------------------------Carter----
-------------Griffin---Haynesworth---Daniels-------------

Subs:
Wilson and Jackson for Orakpo and Carter
Blades for Fletch and Mac
Monty, Golston, Alexander, and Wynn for the front three

Posted by: psps23

Have you ever seen Carter move side to side? It's not pretty. That's the rap on Orakpo, too. We would never be able to hold containment or seal.

Posted by: LarryBud | May 1, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

beep beep.

Flound, yeah, we took em behind the woodshed, 21-5, I can't tell you how sore I am today however..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

'...it would be nice to see an article dedicated to the subject...

It would be nice to see how Orakpo might be implemented.

I'd like to read a word or two about how Barnes looks in various drills with cornerbacks/safeties.

I'm most interested in Rhino and the center Williams. If Williams is indeed the fifth best center in the nation and can play like it on the NFL level, he'd be a steal.

But the mini-camp is closed to the public and all is secretive.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

'...it would be nice to see an article dedicated to the subject...

It would be nice to see how Orakpo might be implemented.

But the mini-camp is closed to the public and all is secretive.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

bean

'...I can't tell you how sore I am today however...'

Soreness is why I gave up working out and playing sports--you're the man.

I'm at an age where chillin' out beats any game I could ever play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

'...Have you ever seen Carter move side to side?'

Agreed.

Carter is not a stand up 'backer.

Let him keep his hand on the ground, and as he takes a strong upfield rush, send Orakpo on a delay twist inside of him and leave him one on one against a guard or running back: that's the best way to use them in a 3-4 blitz package.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse