Orakpo Starts Out at Linebacker

Brian Orakpo was on the field for the first session of the three-day minicamp and, as expected, did all of his individual work with the linebackers, working as a linebacker with the first-team defense. He had told The Post before he was drafted that he figured to be broken in as a strong-side linebacker and to be used as a defensive end in pass-rushing situations. However, he's listed as a defensive end on the roster.

Here's how the first-team defense lined up:
Linemen: Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Albert Haynesworth and Andre Carter
Linebackers: H.B. Blades, London Fletcher and Brian Orakpo
Secondary: Carlos Rogers and DeAngelo Hall (cornerbacks), LaRon Landry and Chris Horton (safeties)

Rocky McIntosh has been excused for personal reasons.

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 1, 2009; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  Jason La Canfora , Minicamp Share This:  E-Mail | Technorati | Del.icio.us | Digg | Stumble Previous: Skins Looking at Veteran Offensive Linemen
Next: Zorn: Shin Splints Limit Moss; Thrash Out (Updated)

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Not sure about this.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Picture of Mike Williams recently taken :

the 5th picture posted

Posted by: TheTruth11"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo and McIntosh=Woodley and Harrison

I know folks may not agree with the comparison, but I think that by next season's end, they'll see what I mean.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

from last thread:

Truth, the thing I don’t understand is why they aren’t considering both…..they can choose 16 teams for a playoff series where the NCAA gets all the money, and still have another 20-25 bowl games…..currently, 26 out of the 29 bowl games are completely frikkin meaningless anyway….it’s not like they would lose any veiwership, unless it was at the same time as a playoff game……

Having gone to a 1-AA school, and still go to all home games (including playoffs), college playoff games are AWESOME……way better than a lame-o meaningless bowl game.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

How are Orakpo and Mcintosh like Woody Harrelson?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

TheTruth11,
Williams is the most in shape 400 lb.er I have seen in a while. Dude has some guns

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

3-4 look this year?

Posted by: LouLewis | May 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"also, I agree with someone from earlier who said we need to let guys like Orakpo play their position, not move 'em around."

I third this.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe I hear RockyMac is a no-show today and it could possibly be a holdout situation...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

alex,

Agreed, looks like he could play at that weight.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

truth,

If thats true I would tell him by, he has done nothing to deserve a bigger contract.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

sorry, RockyMac was given permission to miss for personal reasons.

unless

OH MY GAWD THEY'RE LYING TO THE MEDIA JLC BETTER GET ON THIS THEY'RE LYING

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I think we went a whole hour there without anyone taking a shot at JLac.......new record.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Rocky would have no reason to hold out. Unless he's trying to get advance payment on that next knee operation he's going to need.

Posted by: CDon | May 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I am with haze

16 team playoff with the winner from the 11 conferences + 5 Wild Card teams based on a completely statistical point system factoring strength of schedule & conference, points scored/allowed and wins and losses.

Take the top bowl games and make them part of the playoff and then let the remaining bowl games be kept in there as the random meaningless bowls that they are.

Oh and force all the Independent teams into a conference, all conferences to play a conference championship.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I love the lineup we've got on defense! Has all the potential to be one of the best D's in the league, if they avoid major injuries of course. That's the only potential problem--lack of depth. But I like our starting lineup for the D--looks damn good.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | May 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

McIntosh has been excused for personal reasons. We'll find out more after the first session.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Expect it to take a year before the Skins find the best fit for Orakpo. It'd be great if he's another Merriman out of the box ... but that's wishful thinking, not likely reality.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm very against a playoff.

Give me meaningful football from Week 1.

And the point isn't the playoff Vs. BCS debate, it's the fact that our stupid Congress is wasting time and money to debate something they have no business debating. Worthless!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo won't be playing there for long. Zorn already said McIntosh will be transitioned to SLB. Expect Orakpo to line up at DE in a rotational role.

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Rocky & Orakpo are nothing like Woodley & Harrison...4-3 compared to 3-4. In a 4-3 Orakpo would have coverage responsibilities. Harrison's only job is to get the guy w/ the ball. As for Rocky, personal reasons are not he needs to get his arse in camp and show that he can stay healthy and then talk about a contract extension.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"I'm very against a playoff."

You might as well say, "I'm very against sport" or "I'm very against crowning a Champion".

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo and McIntosh=Woodley and Harrison

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I must have read that 5 times and each time I read "Woody Harrelson"

I was waiting for the punch line.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 1, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm really excited about the potential of this defense. They have so many options for their "packages". It should to challenging for offensive coordinators to game plan against them.

Posted by: TWISI | May 1, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo has up to 5 possible positions. All 3 LB spots (he could become Fletcher's successor) as well as the DE on either side. Projecting out 2 years, he's probably an upgrade at all 5 spots (assuming Fletcher retires).

The question is, which position is he best at? My hope is the Skins have the answer by the end of 2009, then allow him to develop at that spot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

obviously looks can be deceiving, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how good of shape Mike Williams appears to be in for a guy who has been ridiculed because of his weight. If that guy is 4 bills right now, his playing weight must be somewhere 360-375.

Posted by: CPortisRun | May 1, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

From the BEAST blog on ESPN:

I'm spending most of the day at Valley Ranch with the Dallas Cowboys' draft class of '09, but here's something that applies to every team in the league. A Web site called WhatIfSports.com has a complex formula involving algorithms that predicts how each rookie will perform. They hit on a lot of predictions heading into the '08 season, so I thought some of you might be interested in their '09 list. Here's how the Beast is predicted to perform:

No. 9 Hakeem Nicks, New York WR
No. 13 Brian Orakpo, Washington DE (how convenient)
No. 22 LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia RB
No. 24 Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia WR
No. 52 DeAngelo Smith, Dallas S/CB
No. 55 Victor Butler, Dallas LB
No. 61 Robert Henson, Washington LB
No. 69 Clint Sintim, New York LB
No. 74 Mike Mickens, Dallas CB
No. 77 Travis Beckum, New York TE
No. 81 Cornelius Ingram, Philadelphia TE
No. 88 Victor "Macho" Harris, Philadelphia CB
No. 99 Andre Brown, New York, RB

I'm guessing Henson is going to have a boatload of ST tackles. Guess they see Barnes getting injured or something...

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Truth,

That crap about the regualr season not meaning anything is BS, who plays a meaningful game week 1 anyway. Almost all of the teams schedule some bum team and beat them by 50.

The regualr season would be more important, because if you don't do really well you don't make the playoffs

Is the NFL regular season any less exciting because they have a playoff.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Is this OTA open to the public tomorrow?

Posted by: dbrine1261 | May 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

please, lets not get started on the Leigh Torrence topic. we all know how that thread ends. ha ha.

Posted by: erleach | May 1, 2009 12:00 PM

Maybe someday we'll know how it ends, but I predict it will never end while Jasno's around.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Truth,
So, when do the NFL games get meaningful? For the BCS, if you lose one or two games early on you can pretty much forget winning the title. You could still get into the playoffs, though.....which means every game is meaningful....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

There isn't anything wrong with at least trying Orakpo out at LB. He may have the ability to play LB better than DE at this level in this system.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 1, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit the Torrence talk was some funny sh!t up here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

sorry, "would be" meaningful....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I just saw that Devin Thomas has a blog? Shouldn't you have to at least......Nah, that is just too easy. LOL

Posted by: dbrine1261 | May 1, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson?

didn't that guy get convicted of spying for the Russians?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

No. 61 Robert Henson, Washington LB

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:33 PM

Interesting... I wonder if they rated his performance for special teams or the LB spot.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 1, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I third this.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:14 PM

"Natural position?" What difference does it make?

The last Texas guy we got was Dockery, a tackle in college who switched to guard in the NFL. Now there's Mike Williams, a tackle in college who switched to water buffalo in the NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dbrine1261, it's a full-on minicamp, not an OTA and it's NOT open to the public.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think we have a while before we have to get down to 53.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 11:51 AM

Yeah, like 4 months!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Has to be ST...he starred there in college before becoming a starter his senior year.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Lavar comparison just dosent apply to Orakpo. Lavar was an absolute freak and his measurables were off the charts. The comparison I would use would be freeney. However as far as strength the edge would go to orakpo. Gotta remember freeney places on turf and isnt nearly as effective on grass. I'm for using Orakpo @ any position that has him on the field. 1 & 2 down @ OLB and passing downs @ DE.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a pretty stout defense.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson?

didn't that guy get convicted of spying for the Russians?

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

That's what I said on draft day. It was tough to decide whether to go with the spy or with that old chestnut "didn't he create the Muppets" but I went with the spy.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I must have read that 5 times and each time I read "Woody Harrelson"

I was waiting for the punch line.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 1, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I was not the only one that did that

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson?

didn't that guy get convicted of spying for the Russians?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 12:41 PM

No. He claimed to have done it, then admitted he was lying to the press to get them off his back. What he really did was get caught with a blow-up doll in the back of his Ford F-150 in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

If you want a 3-4 Defense, instead of asking for it, start begging snyder and vinny to fire Blatche and Jerry Gray.

I would like to keep them myself....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

TE,

Your all about the jokes today.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Natural position?" What difference does it make?

I think it was directed at the Jason Taylor experiment. I don't care where Orakpo plays really, as long as he's not forced into a position where he's not as effective. In college he showed he's very effective with his hand in the dirt and rushing the QB. If he can be just as effective at LB, I'm all for it.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM |

I don’t know Diesel….did you see the footage of Orakpo at the combine…..dude looks like a bodybuilder. And is about the same size as Arrington. Also, Arrington’s best season was when they used him as both LB and DE……Orakpo also seems a lot, how do I say this……smarter than Lavar too…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I would like to keep them myself....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 12:46 PM

Yeah, most of us are going the other way -- begging Blatche and Jerry Gray to fire Cnyder and Serrato.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:46 PM

Okay....now THAT's comedy!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:43 PM

t_e, Buffalo tried to play Williams at guard as well, it failed.

Dockery's at Texas, gets drafted by 'skins, contract expires with 'skins, sings with Buffalo, gets released by Buffalo, back with 'skins.

Williams is at Texas, gets drafted by Buffalo, released by Buffalo, signs with Jacksonville, released by Jaguars, signs with 'skins.

Rumor has it that Willimas is at 360...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to LaVar in a Skins Jersey again.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Willimas is at 360...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 1, 2009 12:53 PM

I may have started that rumor. It's the weight they have listed for him on the 'Skins website. So, I guess Vinnie (well known for lying to the press) started the rumor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to LaVar in a Skins Jersey again.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 12:53 PM |

No it wouldn't.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Williams look really short in that picture....or else the dude with the camera is like 6 foot 9.....don't see how he could weigh over 400.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

'...How are Orakpo and Mcintosh like Woody Harrelson?'

Okay.

Kinda sorta funny.

Let Rock hold out.

There's always Leroy Hill or Larry Foote.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Last I knew, Mike Williams was around 400. They want him at 370 by training camp.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | May 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Spend a few minutes reading Colt Brennan's fan forum on his page sometime. It makes even the looniest posters on RI seem bright & sane.

Chase is gonna need bodyguards!!!

Posted by: will_ga | May 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo doesn't compare to none of them.

I would compare him to christian Okoye, the Nigerian Nightmare (His defensive twin).

Seriously. Those Nigerains are absolute beast when they put their effort in. One of my buddies was Nigerian back in high school and he plaeyed on the BBall on Football team with me. He would come off those ends and whack the QB or RB ruthlessly....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

How long until an injury knocks him out for the year?

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Leroy Hill signed a 6 yr deal w/ seattle. Lavar ran a 4.44 40 and Orakpo ran 4.79. I loved Lavar the first 3 yrs and especially for retiring Aikman. I hope Orakpo is a monster but the compariosn is weak. Orakpo is strong (36 reps @ 225 strong) but dosent have the speed or athletism of Lavar. I say use @ olb and DE but he eventually settles in as a every down de.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

hecork: "Each year this team has a critical position or four where they just cannot afford to have someone go down.
Last year it was LDE, and it cost the team it's #2.This year there are several."

Well, I aree in principle, yet...

First, all (or nearly all) NFL teams have several positions where they're dangerously thin -- either because they lack talent, or the talent is aging or injury-prone.--SAMPSON 151

Yes, but the GOOD teams plan for that with either adequate backups, guys who can switch positions (NO ONE is better at that than NE) or with cap Room to replace. Also, younger teams are less likely to suffer these injuries and quicker to heal.--CORK

Second, maybe they should have been worried about LDE last year, but they weren't. The Daniels injury caught them by surprise, but Evans stepped in and played reasonably well all year. The trade for Taylor was made in the wake of Daniels' injury, but Taylor's a completely different player -- a pass rusher. When they signed him, they were looking to bolster the rush, not help against the run.--SAMPSON

My argument with panicking last year was threefold: Peddling a #2 pick for a guy who (1) was unsuited to play LDE in Blache's scheme (2) was a two year fix at BEST. The third reason was Vinny was obviously unaware they could plug in Evans for a couple of years and then draft for a LDE the next year.-_CORK

Third, I notice you've got Smoot and Betts down as worthless. I disagree.-_SAMPSON

The words I used were "underperforming" and "fading." Not "worthless." Both descriptions are pretty accurate. Betts was a #2 pick and has had only one outstanding year, Smoot faded down the stretch badly last year. I would NOT want to see him cover elite receivers.--CORK

No, the position I'd worry about if I was Blache would be LB.--SAMPSON

Agree that's foremost because he doesn't have a SAM starter there going into minicamp. And he has to worry about Rocky's knees and Fletcher's age creeping up.

But if Rogers or Hall goes down, the CB situation is a potential disaster,

Posted by: TheCork | May 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"One of my buddies was Nigerian back in high school..."

...until he went to college, when he turned Chinese.

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Cork, how many teams have 3 elite WR? Smoot won't cover anyone elite with Stone hands and Hall in there.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If we had started the trend and brought in a 3-4 defense when Lavar first entered the league, I'd bet he would be in the middle of a HOF career right now. Demarcus Ware would have nothing on Lavar coming off the edge in a 3-4.

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Smoot won't cover anyone elite with Stone hands and Hall in there.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 1, 2009 1:13 PM

Try to show a little respect. His nick-name is "double-move"......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 1, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Smoot won't cover anyone elite...

Good point. At best he will usually just cover the aiight receivers.

Posted by: will_ga | May 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo and McIntosh=Woodley and Harrison

Posted by: MistaMoe

Really Moe? Which one do you expect to get cut three times before he blossoms?

Posted by: TheCork | May 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope the front office isnt counting on Daniels and Wynn to hold down that right DE position. In there prime they were terribly average. The fact that the FO was counted on Daniels last yr was laughable. He lasted what 2 plays @ camp. I hope he has a healthy and productive yr but @ least we have Orakpo and wont have to trade a 2nd for a dancing metrosexual "out of position" washed up dandy. Cant wait to see who Danny has a man crush on this year. Oh wait that was Sanchez.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I like the fact that they can do that with Orakpo imagine when Haynesworth goes DE on some plays and you have Orakpo on SLB blitzing ha that is a big problem for teams we will have one of the toughest DLs in the game.

Posted by: Skins18 | May 1, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Get cut"

Rocky has been under the knife (has it been three times?), boy it's hard to keep track.

"blossoms"

Are we secretly talking cut flowers here boys?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 1, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

thecork:"Peddling a #2 pick for a guy who (1) was unsuited to play LDE in Blache's scheme (2) was a two year fix at BEST. The third reason was Vinny was obviously unaware they could plug in Evans for a couple of years and then draft for a LDE the next year."

Possibly, but I think what they hoped for from Taylor (and the reason they gave up a 2nd rounder) was a second pass rusher.

That's what they needed, even then. The 4-3 really benefits from two guys on the field at the same time, doing the same thing -- coming after the QB. They hadn't had that in quite a while. Taylor was supposed to be that individual.

Which suggests Blache and Cerrato knew that the pass rush was going to be a problem all year.

If they'd drafted Merling in the top spot instead of trading down, and let him back up Evans last year, he'd be ready to start at LDE, so Evans would have left anyway. Daniels or Wynn would have been signed as a backup, but Merling would start. In hindsight, that might have been a better way to go. You wouldn't have all those WRs, but you'd have had your second this year.

That's the great thing about hindsight.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse