Springs to Be Released Today (Updated)

The Redskins have informed veteran cornerback Shawn Springs that he will be released from the final year of his contract, according to Springs. A free-agent signing in 2004 and a Silver Spring native, Springs will become an unrestricted free agent.

"They did what's best for the team, and I'm happy for them," Springs said in a telephone conversation. "I'm going to miss my friends there, but as long as it makes the team better, I understand. I'm a true fan of the sport."

The Redskins will save $6 million in cap space by letting him go and Springs could draw interest from New England, Dallas and Baltimore, among other teams. The Redskins are still trying to sign their former guard Derrick Dockery, who was released by Buffalo, as well.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 27, 2009; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Jason La Canfora Share This:  E-Mail | Technorati | Del.icio.us | Digg | Stumble Previous: Redskins Land Haynesworth
Next: A Redskins Reunion in The Big Easy?

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

That's where the cap space is coming from.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | February 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

...and play a full 16 games, making the pro bowl.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 27, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

...for the Cowbowys.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 27, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, any idea how much of this money goes towards covering the new deals, and how much provides actual cap space after the deals are signed?

Posted by: psps23 | February 27, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Lets say they dump springs, and bring in Dock, and Brown. What should they do at #13 in the upcoming draft??

I'm thinking this makes a trade back even more of a priority. More I think about it, more I think that Philly is gonna want to move up. With both Thomas and Runyan being free agents, they need a RT/LT

From the previous post, in fact they have dumped springs....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 27, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

One more FA would be nice.... Brown is probably too much, but Dock or Willis would be quality

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 27, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking this makes a trade back even more of a priority.

Posted by: BeantownGreg

-----

Ohh no sir. I would think that, due to FAs providing the depth, that's precisely when we can add an impact player during the draft. Especially since we still wouldn't have a starting RT.

Posted by: psps23 | February 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

That is good news.

Sprngs can still be a good Redskin by signing with Dallas for a bunch of money and then sitting out 10 games with a sore pinky, throwing their secondary into disarray.

On a serious note, thanks for the good healthy years Springs...

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

wow, derrick dockery update is now the previous and next post

Posted by: Zeebs | February 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

And Springs will probably go to Dallas and kill us, a la Pierce.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 27, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

better than killing us by not playing and getting paid.

Say what you will about JT, but he played despite possibly losing his leg... and I think that hurt him last year... i expect big things from him now

Posted by: Zeebs | February 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll be another Rod Woodson and wind up as somebody's starting safety. He's smart and experienced enough, and he has sufficient size. As a CB, I don't see it, and neither apparently did the Skins.

Maybe Miami...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

None of the FA signings change anything about the draft b/c we STILL HAVE NOT ADDRESSED OUR GREATEST AREA OF NEED ON THE O-LINE!!!!

I'm hoping we get Andre Smith at 13. Move Samuels to RT.

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

It all comes down to LG, IF they sign Dockery or put a package together to get into the second round and get a top guard then I'm fine with this move. I really wanted Canty, but there is no guarantee he'd be a great fit either, they chose to go with the more prolific of the two, tough to make a convincing argument either way. The only way this is a bad move is if they bring back Kendall and late rounders behind him. If they get Dockery and/or make a move to get a top guard in the draft along with a RT at 13, then this was a great offseason. LBs are easy to find especially with a starting DT tandem of Griffen and Haynesworth, and now Carter and Taylor will face nothing but single blockers and our blitzers will be coming free everytime so I'm happy with that, they addressed the pressure issue, albeit in the highest risk biggest money way but they did it. BUT if their only plan is a 38 year old and late rounders on the interior of the line or they do anything but pick a RT at 13 then they return to the stupidest FO ever.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 27, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thank you! I think Rogers/Hall is what the team needs and not a player that couldn't stay on the field. However, I still like to thank Springs for his time here.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 27, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

He doesn't stay healthy enough to keep. He had to go.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 27, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

ryp, when has peirce ever killed the skins when we played them?

Sorry, I'm not going to be that guy who if Springs has a good year next year dumps on the FO for releasing him. He was injured, and NO WAY you could justify the salary he was getting paid for the number of games he played.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 27, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think in the draft we should get RB ,I think Clinton cant take the pounding anymore,let Dan the Man talk to the Chargers and bring LT.

Posted by: javiermartinez14 | February 27, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

If you think about it, all that happened was Hall's salary took the place of Springs salary, and Haynesworth's $$ eats up the room we made by renagotiating the contracts we did, cutting Marcus, and the extra $4M in cap increase.

So, we're pretty much back where we started.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"Dan the Man talk to the Chargers and bring LT."

See what happens when you eat to much sugar, you get cavities.....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Bean - maybe Im jaded, it just always seemed like Pierce knew what was going to happen before the snap.

And youre right about Springs. I'd love to still get an O lineman somehow.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 27, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Later #24. Loved watching you play from 2004-2007. Don't sign with Dallas.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 27, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

1. I am not upset. I am quite secure in what I said, because that ignorance is quite easily refutable and all who know Redskin history know I demonstrated his ignorance of actual history.

2. Just because you say I am upset does not mean I am upset.

3. And if I were upset, that would not necessarily be a sin either. There are some things we as human beings are to love and therefore hate. So again, you come up empty.

Lastly, isn't it interesting how I can be charged by VAbeachblizt w/ being upset [when I am not] and he does not care to charge an an ignorant one who thinks it a good idea to get some thugs?

What does this reveal to us about the mind and passions of VABeachBlitz?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | February 27, 2009 10:31 AM |

I proved you wrong by letting you know that those guys by themselves don't win anything, without a few players who are thugs on the field.

AH is a thug on the field, show me were he has been a thug off the field.

And P1,

The Warner comment is funny he is a true Christian 10-12mil is not enough he needs 12-14mil, and he is trying to swindle other teams to up the bidding for him so he can stay in Arizona.

I'm sure he is going to give most of that money to the church, Yeh right.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 27, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

So, we're pretty much back where we started.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Exactly. Back where we started with a crappy older offensive line that has not been addressed.

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

p1, patience pal, patience.

10 plus hours into free agency, I'm not sure they're done yet.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Flound,

Actually Warner won that man of the year award from the NFL that goes to the dude doing the best charity work.

But you are right. It would be better to give 12-14 million to a "thug" like Vick to run an illegal dogfighting scheme. Or to give it to PacMan to "make it rain".

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

p1, patience pal, patience.

10 plus hours into free agency, I'm not sure they're done yet.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Patience is a virtue not readily applied in the Skins universe, I admit.

If we can get Dock, and use our pick on a top-rate O-lineman, I will allow my grumpy attitude toward the AH signing to subside...

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Dan the Man talk to the Chargers and bring LT."

See what happens when you eat to much sugar, you get cavities.....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 27, 2009 10:39 AM

LOL, cL! It wouldn't surprise me at all if Vinny shops for guys based on their Madden ratings...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

10 plus hours into free agency, I'm not sure they're done yet.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM

If they don't cut/restructure Jason Taylor, then they might be. Not sure where else they can get cap room for Dock, Willis, plus the draft. They might have to trade out of the 13th draft pick just so they can afford to sign their picks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 27, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

People Springs is never healthy!!!!!!!!!!! if he played safety somebody would step on his baby toe and hed be out for 5-6 games. its moot to talk about where he can go becuase hes never healthy.

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 27, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

My heart is broken.....:(

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

but guys; we have valid starters (just no depth) at o line. We do not have a starting SLB. We either take LB with 13 or trade back and get two first rounders. O line is DEEP this year... not as deep as last year, but 4 to 5 first round Tackles...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:43 AM |

When did I say you should give money to Vick, I'm glad you put words in my mouth.

Vick is a thug off the field AH is a thug on it there is a big difference.

I could care less about Vick I hope he never plays in the NFL again.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Not 100% sure, psps23, but I think this helps them on Hall/Haynesworth numbers and isn't making room for another signing.

Posted by: CindyBoren | February 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

zeebs-
"but guys; we have valid starters (just no depth) at o line."

That might be the craziest statement of the day.

Posted by: richard_cranium | February 27, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

d isn't making room for another signing.

Posted by: CindyBoren | February 27, 2009 10:48

Cindy are you still doubting, didn't they just show you they can get whoever they want.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 27, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Alright, alright ... be nice. Say what you will about S.S. as he packs, but I for one hope he gets a more respectable sendoff by the larger audience of fans, staff, and media than he's getting in here. Class class act, loved being a 'Skin, and he's a local boy done good. Three things that anyone in this forum who actually heard "Hail.." over the intercom in grade school can appreciate. ("Thank you Gabby..."). Thanks brother, and Go Bucks!

Posted by: reddog278 | February 27, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

lol.... Some people are acting as if it were THEIR $100 million being spent.

The salary cap - as it exists today - is not an arbitrary situation. Owners - not just Dan Snyder - have shown that with some creative accounting, especially via restructured contracts, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Don't worry. There will be no problem signing Dockery, Willis, Orakpo or others - if they want to be here. Shifting money around is the way owners who aren't afraid to spend get the players they want.

And if JKC were still running the show, he'd be doing the same thing, "dear boy."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 27, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Zeebs | February 27, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I knew it would be Lisa.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 27, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Is Browns safety Nick Sorenson working out for the Redskins as we type? Bob Pappa and Randy Cross on Sirius NFL Radio did a segment with him about 9 this morning and he said he was in a car in Virginia driving to a workout.

6-3, 210, 30 years old, zero career starts.

Posted by: thatguyben | February 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Flound,

the original comment had to do with someone saying that we need "thugs" and not "christians" on the team.

Myabe you didn't see the original one, but that's what it was about. And that's a pretty dumb comment to make.

Let's just resign this whole conversation b/c it's getting stupid...

Posted by: p1funk | February 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I've been as critical as it gets of this front office. However, given the limited time left in the elite nature of Fletcher, Portis, and Moss and the needs of this team along with only 4 draft picks. Essentially trading out Springs for Hall and signing Haynesworth should address the pressure/turnover issue and if they sign a legit guard or draft one along with a RT at 13 its hard to blame them if the team doesn't succeed next year. A good defense has gotten better and a offensive line has improved. This assumes a move for a legit guard and a draft pick of a RT at 13, assuming that happens and they don't pick a tight end at 13 this was a successful offseason and I will give them credit.....while watching it all somehow fall apart on the field....

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I like Springs, but I'm not surprised he's out, and I agree with the move 100%.

He isn't getting any younger, and he was out what? 9 games with a calf injury?

The Redskins have Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Landry, and Horton.

The secondary is fine.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Also, this signing I hope sparks them to move Lorenzo Alexander back to guard. he does no good for us as the 5 DT and he could be a sleeper for at least quality depth there.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Just listening to WTEM and caught a clip of Vinny Cerrato saying that the Bucs actually offered Haynesworth more than the Skins?

Is that right?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 27, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I know...I know...some of you are ticked off...thought we shoulda signed some 2nd tier free agents...

Well, we have those and they are named Kedric Gholston and Anthony Montgomery! I'm all for this and it would complete a good FA season with a signing of Dockery.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

CRAP! Who else are we gonna crack on about being listed as active and probable every other week and not even making an appearance on gamedays? I'm thinking Mr. Santana Moss would be a good fit.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | February 27, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Every time I buy a Redskins jersey, it quickly becomes a collector's item.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Morning all!

Based on last night's events I don't think that the Skins will draft a OT or a D-lineman with the 13th pick. Here's my logic: We can probably fudge a little more cap space to get Dockery and a RT (Willis perhaps). Danny will want to make a spash on the offensive side and since we drafted WR and TE last year, that leaves QB and RB. I don't think they're sold on Stafford or Sanchez. My prediction - and this will make The Truth smile - Knowshon Moreno. Steelers didn't have the greatest line, but they had an awesome D. Moreno would be the homerun hitter that we've been missing. Your thoughts?

Posted by: RITCA | February 27, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This is very, very good news and Springs is a class act in how he responds. I am sure he'll get some nice offers, but our concerns will be theirs, as well. His best fit seems to be in a rotational role in Dallas, near his ailing father or Baltimore where they dissed someone he could easily replace. However, one year wonder is all he may produce, at this stage, as a corner. Safety seems to look better for him, in Dallas.

Posted by: kurtbw | February 27, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

For some reason this morning I cant remember the names of our outside linebackers?? smh....

Posted by: cocodc1 | February 27, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

No excuses this year. they better good deep in the playoffs. All i can say now is get pac man and prya he stays out of the clubs, the CFL and undrafted guys get them for cheap

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | February 27, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Springs when healthy was great. Miss you dude.

Go Skins! Get your butts out there on National TV!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | February 27, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I really think we should draft Heyward-Bey. He has more upside than Crabtree.

Posted by: Arenas2Portis | February 27, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Serves Springs right. He's an injury prone showboater...his knock down of Hall's interception could have caused us to lose against the Giants.

Good luck selling that huge home in Virginia in this economy!

He should have restructured, and been happy to stay with the team.

What a joke...let him go sit on IR elsewhere... good riddance.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | February 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

why did we wait so long to finally release springs? griffin, haynesworth, carter, and taylor sound like a solid d line. plus, bringing back gholston and monty as back ups is a good more... now, we just need to get another big play reciever and sign dockery (who buges absoulutely loves), and draft for depth and get another linebacker... oh yeah, another thing: fire vinny and hire the cap specialist (schaffer?) as gm.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

haynesworth!!!! wow, hall cool, we need to keep carlos rogers at all cost. looks like the old days huh? get dockery, and draft oropko from texas w/ # 13 pick, we become an immediate favorite in the NFC EAST! now we need to tighten up that offense.

Posted by: diopsdad | February 27, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me if I'm a little hesitant to get all excited about this. While it's hard to argue with the Skins for going and getting the best DL available, it's the whole approach that I don't like. We've seen these moves before and the end result is usually sickening. I DO hope that this one works out. I dig Snyder for always being willing to spend his money but, it seems the draft is where winners are built.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | February 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

ALSO, Jason Campbell STILL has yet to complete the 13-22 yard pass with any consistency. QB will be exposed this year as a true and very glaring weakness. He has not shown he is a capable starter in the league. And I would know because I am THE authority on these things. Look no further.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | February 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

He is a very good corner when he is healthy. I wish we could keep him because he give depth to the secondary even if he is hurt sometimes. He shut down T.O last year so I am sure Jerry Jones will make a play for hims seeing his dad is a former cowpile and he is familiar with the area.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins still besides another reliable offenseive line man..they need another reciever...Santana cant do it all..a proven reciever is a proven reciever..the redskins need to get T J Housmanduesch to run with Moss..that would be sick.....

Posted by: Fergusonadrianrs | February 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

No shut down CB on this team.
Going to miss you springs!

Posted by: shamken | February 27, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

OMG DOCKERY? Why was he cut by BUFFALO? SAMUELS loved him because he could lean on him in pass-blocking schemes to prevent DE's beating him on the inside rush.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

They can spend all the money in the world for free agents, and they still won't win with Jason Campbell. How much does a quaterback who can complete a pass over ten yards cost?
Go Phillies.

Posted by: richw38 | February 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

they will have to grab an outside linebacker with the 13th pick...orapko

Posted by: stevemck3 | February 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I think that even if we get help on the O-Line that Jason Campbell still wont do much better than he does now. He has a super slow release which gives DBs time to break on his passes. Colt Brennen will prob have another great Pre-Season and by the mid point of the year, take Campbells job.

Posted by: mobilesuit2000 | February 27, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

He was a good player but too injury prone the last two seasons. It was time to let him go. I just wonder what the thinking is now on Carlos Rogers. Could he be a draft day trade?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 27, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

For those concerned about Campbell (on a Springs article here), he's more likely to IMPROVE with a SECOND year with the same MENTOR, as a STARTER, not a third stringer, as a TEAM leader, not just on Offense and his familiriazation with the entire Offense. Still I will not say he's the complete QB until he proves to Zorn, a very, fair mentor, that he's ready to make a run. Remember WHO the QB was in the playoffs, in 2007?

Yep. He's got experience, now he's got to get a WILLING TALLER receiver, with Football instincts, to throw to, other than Moss, second year receivers, and predictable throws to Cooley/Moss. That is dangerous in itself.

We need two RB's to really really step up, not just great games in games pretty much won anyway. We need it EVERY game, not just when being critized. Don't like it??? there's a door.

Posted by: kurtbw | February 27, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

let's bring back archuleta too. We can line up Lloyd, Givens at our wide outs and be primed on offense.

Free agency has been so successful, why would we ever consider building our team through the draft?

Posted by: jroach1 | February 27, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Why have we not won the Super Bowl in 17 years?? Where to begin? Everything should start @ the top #1 Snyder and Cerrato. Beavis and Butt-head could have made better picks in the draft as well as quality affordable free agents i.e. David Thorton, Plaxico Burress Randy Moss just to name a recent few. Not to mention a coaching carousel that organizations such as the Steelers (most Super Bowl wins in the Super Bowl era) can at least count their coaches on 1 hand. Yes the Skins appear to have a decent defense heading into next season. With an aging team however, we probably should expect another 8-8, 9-7 year. O-line injury prone, QB-inconsistent, RB aging, overrated, WR-Moss and maybe Thomas or Kelly steps up. TE At best Cooley & Davis combine for 80 receptions and maybe 7 TD's. Best case scenario on Defense Haynesworth makes the aging Carter Griffin and Taylor a little better BARRING injury. Rogers Smoot and Hall have 15 INT's combined. Horton and Landry come into their own as the best safety duo in the league. Still ROLB and LOLB are questionable. All in all Redskins fans should be skeptical about our chances next year. Bad (or no) drafts and bad free agent signings in the past have given us a team of for the most part Snyder clones-- good businessmen but do they make the grade overall--no of course not.. Not to us the fans

Posted by: davetoobs146 | February 28, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse