Haynesworth on Anger, Youth and Football

Jason Reid spent quite a bit of time with Albert Haynesworth's family, friends and former coaches, and Haynesworth, and writes about Haynesworth's journey to the NFL, as well as his struggles with anger management.

On the Hartwig and Gurode incidents:

"There was nothing I could do but just take responsibility for it, take a look at myself and just try to be" a better person, Haynesworth said. "Talking about it [with a counselor] really gave me a chance to open up. I look back at it and . . . it's almost like I wasn't the one doing it. It was all in, like, slow motion. I don't even remember a lot of what happened. But it was me. I did it, and it's hard to accept that you did something like that. It was just a really hard time. It was a really hard year for a lot of reasons."

Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn calls Haynesworth the smartest player he's coached:

"Those coaches [in Washington] will figure that out real quick. He's not a player who you're gonna coach on the sidelines or have a real discussion with. About three hours before the game, he's a different person. There's no point in trying to communicate too much with him during a game."

His mother, Linda, on how she tried to raise her three children:

"If you work for your own, if you channel your energy into something positive, you don't have to depend on other people. The time will come when you're going to have problems, but I never wanted them to have the excuse that, 'We didn't have this and we didn't have that.' I made sure they were never without so there were no excuses. It would have been nice to have someone to help me, a partner, because I could have spent more time with them, but that wasn't meant to be."

...

Next up today, minicamp. There'll be three organized team activities next week and then none until early June.

By Cindy Boren  |  May 1, 2009; 7:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins to Have Minicamp Population Explosion
Next: Hackett, Kelly Washington Invited to Minicamp (Updated)

Comments

I just hope Haynesworth continues to play like he did the last 2 years when he was looking for a contract. We dont need Stubblefield/Big Daddy 3.0

I do love the intensity on the field as long as its controlled. But honestly, is there a better place than DC for a guy that stomped a Cowboy on the head.

Posted by: VaTerp1 | May 1, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

That was a really good and balance story by Reid today. Great job!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | May 1, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Whoa....decent post for once. Lets go Big Al!!

Posted by: Predator48 | May 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

This offseason must have been like second Christmas for Greg Blache.

They sign Albert, draft Orakpo. They even spent the 3rd round pick on a DB. And picked up a couple reserve LBs.

That makes up for the loss of Springs, wouldn't you say?

And suggests that the Redskins FO, which presumably doesn't read this blog any more often than they speak to Jason, disagree with our beloved posters about the most pressing team needs.

They went for defensive pressure. Signed only one big-buck O-lineman. Instead of drafting another, they picked up a retired free agent.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 1, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

jm, that truly is a great article, nicely done by JReid. Kudo's to AH's mom for the attitude she instilled in her kids.

I like the part about how he plays mean, and you he gets in a zone about 3 hours before the game...we need more mean players on this squad...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm really interested in what kind of information can be gleaned from today's mini-camp. If it is closed to reporters, does that include the "insider" as well.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 1, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If you saw Al Haynesworth on at street and asked him "How you doing?" and he responded "I am super, thanks for asking"

Would you laugh?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Pred,

I think the park is closed to him everyday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

How did it go last night?

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Flound, went well thanks for asking, 21-5 victory. Great to get back out there though...I love playing, and I'd like to continue playing until my kids are old enough to play with me. We'll see....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | May 1, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hail Brethren! (And Sistern?!)

Totally psyched for some mini-camp. And I LIKE the large numbers. Coaches pretty much know who's going to go where. The new guys can light a fire under the non-producing vets.

And let's face it - we're headed for un-capped, so let's get a view of everything we can in prep for next year's expanded rosters.

Truly, an expanded roster will help keep teams more competative and lessen the inevitable mid-season injury slide.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 1, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

lol @ "I am super, thanks for asking!"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Wait, was Alex insinuating that Fat Al = Big Gay Al?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Truth,
People call him Big Al on the blog all the time. Just taking things to their logical course.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

can haynsey play OL? preferably RT?

Posted by: dadanimal | May 1, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit I was against the idea of adding him (Prince Al), but now that he's on the team, I'm more than just a little happy.

The pressure he and Orakpo and Carter should bring will get INTs, strips/fumbles, confuse offenses, shorten the field, and give the offense more chances to score.

Ya gotta hope the defense doesn't play so well it out performs the offense and creates a 'divided lockerroom' though. That's something that kills a lot of teams.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow...

I'm so shocked, I'm typeless......

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow...

I'm so shocked, I'm typeless......

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Kinda open ended

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Minicamp is not closed to reporters, only to the public. We'll be blogging and tweeting.

Posted by: CindyBoren | May 1, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Twitter is so stupid.

Having said that, I wish I would have thought of it.

"Not doing work...posting on RI occasionally...getting drunk tonight."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 1, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yes. Twitter is a head-ache.

I had to turn all mine off because I would get like 150 txt a day from so many I would follow. And I could never follow the convo of readers..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 1, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I like the DT combo of Haynsworth and Griffin. Looks good on paper. Hopefully, they can both stay healthy. Andre Carter hopes so, too.

F Twitter.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 1, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaTerp1 | May 1, 2009 8:20 AM

Absolutely. This incident is easily my favorite thing about Haynesworth. I dont want him to do it again. But I do want him to dominate that middle...

Posted by: Club320 | May 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't want him to stomp a head, But I would not mind seeing this line do to Romo, what LaVar did to Troy.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Orapko should play DE. Why the HECK would we spend the 13th pick on a kid and try to change what he plays? You do that kind of tinkering with 5th round picks!

Why the HECK does this organization always try to change people's positions... like Jason Taylor last year.

It doesn't work! Pick people to play at the positions they are trained for and comfortable with.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope the guy continues his contract year excellence for the Redskins, of course, but to be honest I will always lament that we signed "that dude who stomped on a guy's bare face with his cleat." I mean, come on, that is so awful. It doesn't matter that the bare face in question was attached to a Cowboy, it was and will always remain heinous to me. (Yep, I'm an old fuddy duddy. So sue me.)

And yeah, F Twitter. I cancelled my twitter account as well, because it was just ridiculous. Even with Cindy and the WashPo crew twittering away. Twitter = power rankings = pandemic hysteria.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 1, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Chubby Chaser Daniels vs Cult o'Colt vs Sweeney Todd Collins, who wins? Redskins fans thats who.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

it does matter that it was a cowboy... THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE GUY... A proven history of hate towards cowboys...

... are you sure you're a redskins fan?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Nate always the voice of logic and reason..

"Twitter = power rankings = pandemic hysteria"

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

'....It's not like we are some great team with a history of reshaping the destinies of men!'

Doug Williams winning a super bowl changed the history of a lot of men.

The men whose history he changed looked like him, but they are celebrated by us all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 1, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | May 1, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Why dont you just change your screen name to jm220 if you want to sign your name every post.... IDGI

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | May 1, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

beeepo

Posted by: alex35332 | May 1, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

This offseason must have been like second Christmas for Greg Blache.

That makes up for the loss of Springs, wouldn't you say?

Posted by Sampson 151

Each year this team has a critical position or four where they just cannot afford to have someone go down.

Last year it was LDE, and it cost the team it's #2.

This year there are several. In ascending order, I see them as:

4. ORT: Assuming Jansen comes all the way back, or Heyer plays well, or Williams loses half a person, there will be a starter. can't assume all three will happen.

3. RB Portis is backed up by career underachiever LaDell Betts.

2. SAM Linebacker. Yeah, sure lots of guys will be tried there. One may actually get the job and perform well. But the drop off will be significant beyond that.

1.CB Assuming Hall wasn't just playing for a contract, and Rogers isn't in a snit, there's two good starters. Then a big drop off to the fading Smoot, the unproven injury prone Barnes and, OMG, Tryon.

Posted by: TheCork | May 1, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse