A Reassured Sellers Happy with New Deal

Fullback Mike Sellers, who signed a contract extension this week, finally feels appreciated, he said after practice at Redskins Park.

"I felt it was time," said Sellers, who did not report to offseason workouts in protest of his previous contract. "For years, I sat around and watched everybody else around me get these great contracts. "I was the only one. I kept my mouth shut pretty much and did what I had to do. When my play came about, I felt that I needed it and they took care of my. I'm fortunate. Now I could really retire as a Redskin."

Although Sellers, 34, declined to reveal the terms of his new deal, a league source said the extension, first reported by the NFL Network, runs through 2014. Sellers received a $600,000 signing bonus and is due a $400,000 option bonus in 2010. Selected as a captain this season for the first time in his career, Sellers does a lot on offense and special teams for the Redskins. Sellers presented his case for more money directly to owner Daniel Snyder.

"When you talk to the head man and he tells you that you're appreciated, after all the whining I did on TV, for them to let me know personally that I'm appreciated, that meant a lot," Sellers said. "That meant the world. That put me at ease."

Coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance, Sellers has continued to be valuable to the team, Coach Jim Zorn said. "He's very vocal and he's really a team guy," Zorn said. "He's been vocal about pulling guys together and holding guys accountable. He's been very reliable. Those are a couple of things you really want from your better players. He's certainly one of them."

With Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts at running back, there aren't many carries available for Sellers, Zorn said, but "I've got to get him more involved in the offense. I'd like to have him on the field.

"He's probably not going to carry the ball much. He's our big fullback. But I tell you what, he's done a great job at the point of attack. When he gets there, he's bringing all of his weight."

Sellers said he's happy.

"Time to play football," he said. "I don't have nothing to worry about. Just concentrate on playing some games."

By Jason Reid  |  September 16, 2009; 4:26 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No. 1 Thing for Defense Is Third Down
Next: Redskins Rock (and Rap) During Practice

Comments

So SELLERS was whining about not enough dough on T.V.? Where and when. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Let's make with the comments...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the FIRST on to say the Skins will win this weekend.

Posted by: TheJury | September 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Games often fall into two distinct halves...

Posted by: Samson151
_________________________

The haves and the have nots?

ar ar

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 16, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Greg - Simeon, not Jerry.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Getting an extra million in a NFL Contract.....

So Easy....A Caveman can do it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

4th, Simeon, no thanks...I'd rather play Jarmon, and get him some experience.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If Wynn is deactivated against his old team, we def need no more old players. The youth movement is now.

Go get Cody Glenn Vinny.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the DL. More OL. Can Seller's play guard or center? He certainly knows how to block?

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

More DL? More OL? More COWBELL!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

When I over drink, I produce scrapple.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Kaneohe, random question: you coming over to these shores for any Skins games this season?

I'm heading to the Oakland game in December since I won't be able to make it to San Diego during the holidays... maybe see ya in Oakland? It should be a right proper shabingus.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
_____________

Yeah if Simeon is in the Unidentified Flying Football League, how good can he be? Far better to play Jarmon etc.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 16, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

From PFT:

According to CBS 11 in Dallas, the Giants-Cowboys game has not yet been sold out. And if it's not sold out by 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, it might not be televised in the Dallas area.

HA ha...I seriously doubt it but still funny.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Amazing quote from local treasure Jerry Glanville, head coach at Portland State:

Q: Are you spending a lot of time in the spring trying to figure out how to raise up and get the [reigning conference champion Montana] Griz[zlies]?

Glanville: Yes, I spent my whole summer doing that. I stayed in White Fish this summer, but I drove to Two Medicine in the southeast corner of Glacier National Park, and it's on Blackfoot Indiana sacred grounds. I went over there, because there's a waterfall there -- Running Eagle Falls. She was a great Blackfoot warrior and she would kill the griz. And before she would kill the griz, she would go sit at that waterfall. So, I went over there and I sat there. And ... what a place. You could feel the enchantment. You could feel the spirit. I'm not a Blackfoot Indian, so I don't know whether they'll feed me the message they gave Running Eagle. But ... the Griz feared Running Eagle, who was a woman. So, I tried to get inspiration from her.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon, if he pans out, should supplant Wynn and eventually Daniels. The fact they released Rob Jackson kind of makes that statement.

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Glad to Sellers get a nice "thank you" bonus for his hard work and dedication. He's a good guy and probably 50% of the reason Clinton got his yards last year.

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 16, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Nate... i have not locked down plans...but i have been strongly considering a trip. If we make it to 3-1 at the quarter pole...i will look to lock in. Thanks for bringing it up. Aloha.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 16, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 5:16 PM

Good Lord, be careful Nate. The team isnt as intimidating as the crazed fans they have. Thats Philly West...

Posted by: Club320 | September 16, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says the name Redskins is in court again and those 2 d-bags Wilboner and Kornholer are pulling for the anti's. Big surprise there. Man they're ugly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

And, I'm proud to say that Jerry Glanville is also a graduate/attendee of my alma mater, Western Kentucky University.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 16, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Getting an extra million in a NFL Contract.....

So Easy....A Caveman can do it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 4:56 PM

Very funny!

Posted by: edvar | September 16, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Are there people who really don't think the term Redskins is offensive? Still? Really? Well I'll give you a little factoid that is irrefutable and if you continue to think 'redskins' isn't the worst name in sports then you're just and idiot.

I was watching the documentary War of the Century recently about the Russian/Germany part of WWII (you know, the part where 30 million died but you never learn about it bc it doesn't involve the US, and where the Russians defeated roughly twice the number of German divisions the US and British defeated on the western front, anywayz...) and that guy, you know, HITLER, gave a speech to the german people arguing for the extermination of the Russia because, surprise surprise, they were subhuman. Hitler said that, and I crap you not, the Russians are nothing more than Redskins (owing to their Slavic roots) and thus could be exterminated with a guilty free conscience. Point: if you're cool with calling your sports franchise a word that HITLER freely used to justify the extermination of millions of people, then cool. If not, maybe try to come up with something less offensive, like, oh, every other sports team on the face of the EARTH.

Posted by: YourPsychologist | September 16, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

[That said, I still say that problem starts and stops with the offensive line and the pocket that collapsed too quickly to step up into.]

Posted by: dcsween |

Sween, I rewatched the “game” just focusing on the OL. Yeah, I’m a masochist.

The Redskin pass blocking wasn’t that bad. And Aikman, a country fair QB in his time (and spawn of a demon seed, of course), said the ball slap mistake was Campbell’s for not stepping up. And if you’ve ever had your ball slapped, you know how painful that can be.

Posted by: TheCork | September 16, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Will, if you are in Ga it's possible you won't find it in a grocer. Scrapple is regional dish that originated in Pa.
Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 16, 2009

Could be why it isn't ringing a bell. I've seen souse, and it looks vaguely similar to mushed up pig parts but not sure if it resembles scrapple.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lacantwrite | September 16, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

THIS BUDGET ISH IS KILLING MEEEEE!!

(rant off)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1
______________

It originated in Scrapple, PA, which is located next to Hardscrabble, PA, and is also where the Michael Scott Paper Company is headquartered.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 16, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, I hope to be making plans with some of the Bay Area peeps in a few weeks... aloha.

Club320, c'mon now, I'm a lover, not a fighter. I don't anticipate any trouble.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Your argument would make a WHOLE lit more sense if 90+% of native Americans DON'T find the name offensive!!"

Did you conduct a poll? Direct me please, because all of the lawsuits have been brought by native americans.

Posted by: YourPsychologist | September 16, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Your argument would make a WHOLE lit more sense if 90+% of native Americans DON'T find the name offensive!!osted by: Lacantwrite

Agreed, who cares what Europeans think. IF, the people whose land we rightfully stole from them truly are offended by our beloved team name then as a token of remorse for the crappy way we treated them, I could live with a possible name change.But only if its something cool. Warriors okay. Squaws, teepees , totem smokers, not really.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Totem smokers...lol.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

How about the Washington Red Scalping Basterds, or the War Mongering Savages

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

... And if you’ve ever had your ball slapped, you know how painful that can be.

Posted by: TheCork | September 16, 2009 5:52 PM

Not going to touch that one, but thanks just the same.

I was thinking about Aikman this afternoon, mostly in response to etrod (correctly) noting that, by Week 8, we will be discussing the replacement for Zorn's replacement.

Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden, etc. -- the guys with Championship bling -- would never agree to kiss The Owner's ring. They have too much pride, plus it wouldn't work for The Owner anyway, but he would have to give up his GM role (and be bored hanging out with Vinny like Rich McKay does with Arthur Blank).

Zorn has that entire ego to manage (or, more accurately, operate under) in addition to his other head coach duties. He only really took the job b/c he wanted to be the Offensive Coordinator. Now that he's got the gig, there is no face saving way to step down into the offensive coordinator role anyway, so if he goes, Skins lose not only a head coach, but also the offensive coordinator (not sure I remember lots of talk around the league that Sherman Smith was going to be THE next big thing as offensive coordinator ... he's Zorn's pal ... he'd go too).

Anyway, starting from the ground up, who has the diplomacy and chops to do to ego management on The Owner. It has to be someone who is slightly oily and has a little bit of football celebrity cred on his own. Mariucci should have been that guy (I agree with JLaC's early prediction), but because JLaC published it, that meant The Owner couldn't do it. Maybe now that Jasno is gone, The Owner could reconsider.

The other guy would be Aikman himself. Aikman, unlike every other talking head in Big Media (except maybe Peter King, and oddly, Florio) LIKES the Skins. Seems odd for a guy who lost his career by being sacked by the Skins, but giving props to the Skins has to mean some level of acceptance of the business model. He might just be oily enough to pull it off. You've heard his football thoughts out loud. He could figure out when to throw a red towel, when to go for first down on 4th, how to call plays. He was a QB for crud sakes.

Obviously, never having coordinated before, he'd need to have some strong coordinators underneath to run the real show. Offense? Bill Musgrove (Musgrave?), formerly Gibbs' guy (Gibbs 2.0) at QB coach left on good terms ... and turned first year QB Matt Ryan into Matt Ryan of Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco fame. Defense? He's already here. Jerry Gray.

Now back to the ball slapping ...

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

nd is also where the Michael Scott Paper Company is headquartered.

Ah, I remember early mornin paper plant smell.

F'n Weyerhaeuser. God what a stench.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

THIS BUDGET ISH IS KILLING MEEEEE!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 6:05 PM

As it should be ... and you're not alone.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

... Ah, I remember early mornin paper plant smell. ...

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 6:17 PM

What I really miss about copies is that "mimeograph" smell from grade school. Man, it made my taste buds jump for some reason. The beginning of the end was dot matrix. Laser printing ... pffffft.

Posted by: dcsween | September 16, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Nate, what's this rumo(u)r I saw on the facebooks that our long lost correspondent from Down Under is coming to the US America for some football?

Posted by: 4-12 | September 16, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I heard the same one rumo(u)r, but forgot to follow up on it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Here is what Mike Sellers is saying...
"blah blah blah, I now have more money, I can suck just like Deangalo Hall"

FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE PAID WAY TOO MUCH MONEY.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 16, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Totem smokers...lol.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 6:13 PM

If I ever figure out this fantasy football thing I suppose I'll name my team that. Sort of a Li'l Danny shout out.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The cowboys have $27 'party tickets' aka STanding Room Only.

I like the idea. If Snyder was to do this, I would buy it, but they need a terrace where we can see the playing field...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Not worth a comment, really.
Good for sellers, will we see this from everybody now?

Posted by: zariah | September 16, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

4-12, 4th, yes indeed, kost52 is coming to the States, I think it will be his first-ever visit to these shores.

He's planning to split his trip into West Coast/East Coast, seeing the Skins at Raiders, then Skins-Giants and Skins-Cowboys in Landover.

I'm sure kost will pop up eventually and start sharing the details... I think he would like to meet up with RI peeps in his travels and maybe take advantage of available guest rooms and such as...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Getting an extra million in a NFL Contract.....

So Easy....A Caveman can do it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

So what does that make LaVarr?

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | September 16, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean he won't perform any more, just like Betts has disappeared since getting his deal?

Posted by: agupta1 | September 16, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: YourPsychologist

Does this mean we'll also sue and declare null any commercial proprietary rights (trademarks/copyrights/etc.) of any comedians, filmmakers, authors, etc. who use the "n" word, or terms whitey/honkey/cracker, and any other similar racial slurs/terms to describe any race or ethnicity in their given arenas to their material?

If so, let's change the team name now...if NOT...how about we focus on the instances of racism that are FAR more frequently exposed to our youth, and are far more pervasive in our culture, and thereby more damaging? Hmmm????

It's funny how only the most profitable team gets sued most frequently. You see protests of others, but seldom if ever any lawsuits [Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, et al.] against less profitable sports teams and franchises.

What say you big time?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 16, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

The best play I've seen thus far out of Mike Sellers came during a television interview with Jason Campbell late in the 3rd quarter of a preseason game at Jacksonville. Sellers leaned into the camera and recommended that JC get some chap stick -- and then left the audience to wonder why. I just figured it was another demonstration of the total lack of respect that this worthless excuse of a quarterback gets from his other teammates -- and deservedly so.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 17, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 17, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Signing a 34 year old FB thru 2014 makes no sense.

Posted by: beas13 | September 17, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse