A Veteran's Approach to Training Camp

Veterans would prefer to keep things simple and laid back during training camp. Players believe there's no reason for coaches to push hard at the outset and risk having a tired team early in the season.

In running his first offseason program last season, Coach Jim Zorn handled the Skins' veterans well. Zorn knew he had a veteran team and that some of the senior guys would need a break because of injury concerns.

Zorn plans to handle things similarly this camp. Players who need extra rest will get it, and Zorn isn't the type to test players' endurance in the heat just for fun. That's good news to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who knows how to prepare for a season after seven with the Tennessee Titans.

"Most guys know what they need to do before" they report to camp, Haynesworth said. "But whether a camp is good or not depends on how the training camp is. Last year with the Titans, they didn't beat you up a whole lot so you were fresh coming into the season. You had pretty much one practice a day and a bunch of film study, which was great for us. That's why the whole team was pretty fresh and we went out there and had the season that we did.

"We went out there and played hard and smart. As far as me, it would be good if I got one practice in and watched the other ones or however we do it. One practice is good with me because I still need that live look. As far as just going out, doing practices and wearing me down and stuff like that, I don't think that's good. I'll do whatever I need to do the way we do stuff, but I'm not getting any younger. I'm sure they're going to take care of me and everyone so we can perform well during the season."

By Jason Reid  |  July 30, 2009; 7:53 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's Time to Head to Camp
Next: And So It Begins...

Comments

Power ratings!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

second!

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Injuries only to undrafted free agents!!!!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:03 AM

No way. Then we'd miss out on the next...Greg, help me out here...Antonio Pierce!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 8:06 AM

Not a loss. We already missed out on the last Antonio Pierce. I agree with Greg that we should have resigned him. What a waste.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"As far as just going out, doing practices and wearing me (Haynesworth) down and stuff like that, I don't think that's good."

Wow.

Football sure has changed for those of us who lived through waterless August "double-sessions" and all the sweating and Oklahoma drill hitting that went with it.

Save the players' legs: makes so much sense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Just do what your told.

Posted by: Gweez | July 30, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

he's a coach...
you're a player...
he talks...
you listen...

Posted by: carsonspence | July 30, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

We're gonna suck this year.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | July 30, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Save the players' legs: makes so much sense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I think all it took was a couple of dead high school players to get that to sink in. We lost a kid in down Stafford a few years ago during 2 a days. Sad.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 30, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Woooooooo... Almost makes you want to hang out in ashburn... almost.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 30, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | July 30, 2009; 7:53 AM ET

And I think it would nice if they served booze at work and had live strippers in the break room during lunch hour. After all, we're building team unity and keeping ourselves alert and fresh for the 2nd half of the workday.

If you like easy training camp, go play for Spurrier or Norv. Redskins should be working hard and smart.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Redskins should be working hard....

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 8:30 AM |

Martyball! Win the regular season, crash in the playoffs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Players to watch at Training Camp-

92 Albert Haynesworth (The 100m dollar Man)
93 Phillip Daniels (Bye-bye, Jason Taylor)
66 Derrick Dockery (Prodigal draft pick returns)
71 Mike "Boulder" Williams
76 Jeremy Jarmin
3 Hunter Smith
39 Anthony "Flash" Alridge
32 Dominique Dorsey (CFL all-star)

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

It should be up to the coaches to determine what a good balance is. It worked with our LG last year, sitting him out on wednesdays.

Haynesworth should just say i like it easier, but it is up to the coaches... and left it at that.

Can we start the countdown to the start of the season now, or are we gonna countdown to the first preseason game?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Martyball! Win the regular season, crash in the playoffs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:34 AM

Say what you will about Marty, but at least he made the playoffs. Considering the Skins have done that just 3 times since Gibbs 1.0, I'd take some Martyball right about now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 8:36 AM

Zeebs, when you're making more than the entire coaching staffs of the Redskins plus any two other NFL teams, you don't really need to defer to anyone.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Veterans and rookies, too.

Guys train year round anymore, meaning there realy is no need to drive them into the ground during the preseason.

Too, because of OTAs and film study, they show up fairly sharp and aware of what's going on in terms of scheme and game planning.

I bet most teams could get away with two-three preseason games.

But if they did that, they'd take some of the joy out of the '...most wonderful time of the year...": the start of the football season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd appreciate it if the coarch would push 'em just past where the WANT to go...

Nothing worse than a team that begins to quit in the 4th quarter... hmm... what's that remind me of?... LAST SEASON>!

Keep off that slack mentality, men!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Ah the first redskins alert in some time. I love it.

Posted by: Gweez | July 30, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Players to watch at Training Camp-

92 Albert Haynesworth (The 100m dollar Man)
93 Phillip Daniels (Bye-bye, Jason Taylor)
66 Derrick Dockery (Prodigal draft pick returns)
71 Mike "Boulder" Williams
76 Jeremy Jarmin
3 Hunter Smith
39 Anthony "Flash" Alridge
32 Dominique Dorsey (CFL all-star)

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:36 AM "

Orakpo need to be on your list!

Posted by: Masonman | July 30, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo's unsigned therefore isn't allowed in camp. :(

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Tango Whiskey Echo November Tango Yankee.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 30, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Keep up the great work Orakpo!

Redskins 8-8 this year AT BEST

Posted by: TheTruth11 | July 30, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

""Veterans would prefer to keep things simple and laid back during training camp."

Veterans would prefer to skip training camp altogether.

Camp is supposed to be an opportunity to bond with your mates and practice running plays. In reality it's often a grueling, heat-fueled Parris Island experience. Back in the Bill Walsh days, I used to wonder why so many players wanted to sign with SF until I learned that there was no hitting in practice. Walsh felt that NFL players already knew how to tackle or he was going to cut them anyway. He was mainly concerned with an extraordinary number of reps of those plays, to get the timing down.

I'm with Walsh.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought they were allowed in camp even if unsigned. Did the rules change RedCherokee?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 30, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

TE, and theres the rub.

I thought AH said all the right things during the press conferences etc... but this is where the filter gets turned off... and his first unfiltered comment says

:Hey, i wanna get paid and stay around for a long time, dont work me to death". Not good. But I will still be optimistic that what motivates him is not practice, but competetion.

Also, of any position, his needs the least amount of knowledge or prowess...

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible that Orakpo will show up in training camp unsigned?

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 6:11 AM

RC, that's against the rules. Players not under contract aren't permitted to participate.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 6:13 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Nothing worse than a team that begins to quit in the 4th quarter... hmm... what's that remind me of?"

I think last year's fourth quarter issues were related to the defense collectively (and subconsciously) saying, "Here we go again," and not playing hard.

There were many late season games--I can't document them all now-- where the skins' D dominated in any way you would want.

But then, once the opposing team's D shut down the skins' offense in the 3rd quarter, the redskins defense went into a shell, almost as if to say, "Why try?"

And that's not conditioning.

That's guys figuring they're killing themselves for nothing and deciding not to play hard.

Again: it won't matter how good the defense is if the offense doesn't put points on the board.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: TWISI | July 30, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of resting the veterans, but it is hard to rest some players, play others, and retain continuity. The offensive linemen need to have reps together. They, more than other positions, need to work together. I think this is less critical for the defensive linemen, but Haynesworth is new to this defense and he needs the reps working with Griffin, Carter and the cast of thousands that will anchor the left side. Maybe a little later the coaches will see he has it down and they back off, but now is not the time for Haynesworth to be lobbying for fewer reps.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 30, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Probably going to catch hell for this, but I would like to see Dominique Dorsey push Rock out, really would like to get a return speedster to break open some plays...having said that Rock is a great ST player and good tackler.

Damn I am excited for football to be back, cant stand watching the baseball on TV...

I have a feeling we might see Vick late/ middle preseason??

Posted by: mhartz1 | July 30, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I think Vick is suspended until October..??
Cant imagine how good he still is... He wasnt that great of passer.. He has put on about 30 lbs so his scramble / rushing speed is probably diminished along with 2 years of added rust... He is worth more in ticket sales sitting on the bench then stinking up a game. He needs to find an owner who doesnt give a rats azz about PR fallout.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a feeling we might see Vick late/ middle preseason??

Posted by: mhartz1 | July 30, 2009 9:19 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

At some point Orakpo WILL be in camp. At that point he will be a player to watch. Another player said on the radio that Orakpo reminded him of Lavar (in his prime).

Posted by: Masonman | July 30, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Not so fast my friend... Marty went 8-8 if my memory serves me. That said I didn't have a problem with Marty and thought we were on the right path and finished that year very strong.

Posted by: FunStreet | July 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

We're gonna suck this year.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | July 30, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------
OMG what are you talking about? This team is currently unbeaten, untied and unscored on. We're having a GREAT season so far. Let's turn on that happy face, Mr. Grumpy!

Posted by: InRealAmerica | July 30, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse