Will Today Be Better for Offensive Line?

After only practicing in the afternoon on Monday, the Redskins are back at it with two sessions today at Redskins Park. Fans will be permitted to attend the morning practice again, too. Could this be the day the offensive line finally puts it together and at least plays to a standstill with the defensive line, which has been way ahead since camp opened? I get the strong sense Skins fans are desperately seeking anything positive from Joe Bugel's guys.

...
While you wait for those morning updates, there's some stuff you can read. Mike Wise looks at the hot seat built for two: Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell.

I know there's some hamsterian concern about the defensive backs and Rick Maese writes about Chris Horton.

By Jason Reid  |  August 4, 2009; 6:09 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth on Injury: 'It's Not Serious'
Next: Cast Your Vote on the OL Struggles

Comments

Don't worry bout the Synvisc, it was probably his third of the summer, with a possible fourth to follow before the regular season--this is the normal course of treatment. I'd be curious to see how many other players get the same injections, I'd bet there are a lot of chronically irritated knees in NFL.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 4, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse

First?

Posted by: thejolione | August 4, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Make that second - but wait, what is he talking about?

Posted by: thejolione | August 4, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

talkin bout 92's knee and making a distinction between "injections"--the word is usually used to treat an acute injury with steroids (not those steroids). A Synvisc injection is used in a round of injections, is not a steroid, and is a very effective way to sooth chronic irritation without a whole lot of negative side effects.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 4, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

early AM=poor sentence structure

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 4, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm more worried about Carlos Rogers' calf than Albert's knee. Sounds like a very Shawn Springs-like injury. Hope it gets better quick.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 4, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Now, what's our next step? How should we act on our "mild concerns"? Should we write letters? Sign a petition? Demonstrate outside Redskins Park? Post them on the blog every time we read Haynesworth's name?

Unless you've got a better idea, I, personally, am going to sit back and see how it plays out.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 6:40 AM

Don't shoot the messenger...just posting what PFT had on it.

But I gotta say...I said from the beginning that Haynesworth smells a lot like Stubblefield 2.0. I just didn't think I'd say that again before the season even started.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Good call, etrod. Me too. Are these the only two injuries of note so far? How are the elder DLs holding up?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 4, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't shoot the messenger...just posting what PFT had on it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I won't, but I've shot at PFT, specifically floreo, before and they clearly have a bias against the 'Skins. Lately it was the Mike Vick-going to the 'Skins' rumor, which after reading it, I was convinced that PFT Editors wrote a fill in the blanks type mad-lib and floreo jus happened to add Skins..Now he's gassing up Prince Albert taking knee shots like he's the only NFL star who does it. wink wink. It does nothing but bring more negative energy toward 'Skins' football and it does have an effect on our city!

Posted by: Vicc | August 4, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Don't shoot the messenger...just posting what PFT had on it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 7:07 AM

No, brownwood, you posted three paragraphs from PFT followed by six paragraphs of your own spin.

I would never shoot the messenger when the messenger is you. You're bulletproof. I asked a simple question, which you ducked. "Now that we're mildly concerned, what are we supposed to do?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Two ways to look at this Oline v Dline deal

1) The Oline completely sucks and is getting dominated by the ham and eggers across from them on the Dline.

2) The Dline is really, really good, and the Oline is only struggling when both AH and Phil Daniels are on the field together.

I am leaning towards 2 and this is a benefit in disguise. Oline will be facing toughest comp they will face all year every day in practice. Seems the reports are the Oline does fine and JC gets more time when AH/PD are taking the afternoon practice off. Did Chris Samuels, DDock and Rabach suddenly start to completely suck? I don't think so. The real questions are on the other side though... can Thomas still bring it? Can Heyer get it done?

Our defense could be on its way to being completely dominant. Completely. Dominant.

I heard Florio on the Monty show on SNN yesterday... he thinks the Redskins are "flying under the radar" and could be really good. Surprise, surprise.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 4, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:29 AM

Dude, here's the link:

That entire post sans the "here's PFT's take" up top was Florio. I couldn't post the usual PFT dateline up top because it was too long and RI Losable Type wouldn't take it all.

And by the way, I took your question as rhetorical. Because there's NOTHING we can do about ANYTHING Redskins related EVER because we don't own, coach, or play for the team. All we can do is show up to games and buy merchandise. Which helps Snyder, not the guys on the field.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

"Will Today Be Better for Offensive Line?"

Answer: No.

Does it matter?

Answer: Not right now.

When will or should fans worry about the play of the redskins' offensive line?

Answer: The third preseason game against the Pats. Zorn will game plan and let the regs play into the third quarter.

If the skins' offensive line can generate movement against the likes of Vince Wifork and Richard Seymour, we'll be fine.

You seem awfully confident about this. Why?

Good coffee. Early morning sex.

I played troll yesterday and noticed that multiple NFL teams had reports of poor offensive line play and general defensive team dominance. The redskins are no different in that regard.

So bloggas need to stop whining about the o-line?

Answer: Does it matter if they complain?Some of these dudes will whine about winning a million dollars, so let them have fun.

Have you seen my coffee?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 4, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who just fell off the pumpkin truck, it is widely known that Haynesworth has injury issues. This is not news. He has only played one complete season since coming to the NFL.

He hasn't been as bad as Springs was, but we should expect that he will miss games due to injuries. Here's how many games he's played each season starting in 2002: 16, 12, 10, 14, 11, 13, 14.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

That entire post sans the "here's PFT's take" up top was Florio.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 7:44 AM

Okay. I was way wrong and you are way right. And Florio, not you, should be telling me what to do with my "mild concerns."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

This is actually funny, folks on here remind me of what Red Sox fans used to be like before the 2004 World Series. AH gets an injection in his knee, and suddenly people on here are Dr's, and know better than the Redskins Medical staff what the best course of action is. UFB....when AH starts missing games and is ineffective because of his knee, then sure get yer draws in a bunch, that's time to get upset....its training camp.....yikes...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Nice post, MistaMoe.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Funny, Moe. But you're right...it's camp. No worries. Unless the injury bug hits.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

JReid or anyone else know what DHall is talking about on his Twitter?

Posted by: jogill | August 4, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

JReid or anyone else know what DHall is talking about on his Twitter?

Posted by: jogill | August 4, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, but a big Redskins announcement is seldom good news...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

JReid, I highly recommend you start wearing an ascot during your Wash Post Live segments. It's a very distinguished look, plus if you break into smoking a cigar on TV nobody will say anything.

Posted by: isnadd | August 4, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I think our defensive line is improved and I think our offensive line is stuck where they were last year. That is why the defensive line is getting after the QB. I have heard more than Haynesworth's name getting into the backfield. Seems like just about anyone who goes up against Mike Williams blows by him. There's a lot of preseason to go but yes, I am concerned. Bugel is a great coach but I think he is going to have to be tough and sit some vets this season. Randy Thomas might be one of them. It sounded like things improved yesterday when Rhinehart came in for Thomas. Althought Thomas is back from injury, I don't think he is all the way back. I haven't heard much about Bridges. I think they tried him at right tackle for a few plays and then decided that was not going to do it. I think he isn't what they thought they were getting, which was a potential starter. It sounds like Heyer is capable as a pass rusher, and when he really focuses, he can be a decent run blocker. Maybe just a little consistency is all he needs and hopefully he will get that with reps. So far, all I have heard about the rookies is they are getting a lot of intensive coaching from Buges, which means they are making rookie mistakes. We'll see who responds fastest to the coaching. He'll be the guy not running laps after practice...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 4, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

" just didn't think I'd say that again before the season even started.Posted by: brownwood26"

LOL you were going to wait til halftime of the first game...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"[Haynesworth] hasn't been as bad as Springs was, but we should expect that he will miss games due to injuries. Here's how many games he's played each season starting in 2002: 16, 12, 10, 14, 11, 13, 14. Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Good point. That's why we need all that depth at defensive tackle.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 4, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Best case scenario 2009 -2010 OL:

LT: Big Papi
LG: Jill Biden
C: Edwin Williams
RG: Lefty Mickelson
RT: Seth Rogen

Posted by: ElYeah | August 4, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Defense is always ahead of the offense at this time of the year. It takes some time for the offense to develop the timing required of a good offense.

What we need to look at is the progression over the pre-season of the starters and if they appear insync (move the football, convert critical 3rd downs and score in the red zone.

We also need to remember that the Redskins were the 4th best defense, statistically, in the league playing against one of the worst offenses.

I believe we are the only team (as reported elsewhere) in the NFL who is returning the largest number of starters. Interesting point if true.

Posted by: saratogan | August 4, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse