Albright hopes to have deal with Redskins before Friday

Pro Bowl center Ethan Albright hopes to have a new contract in place with the Redskins before the free-agent market opens Friday.

"I haven't talked to them yet, but I know they've been busy at the combine and evaluating guys," Albright said in a phone interview today. "Sometimes my deal gets done quickly and sometimes they want to get the 'big dogs' done first. It just depends. But I definitely want to come back to Washington."

Albright, 38, is among eight Redskins who could become unrestricted free agents next week. Albright, who has not missed a game in nine seasons with the Redskins, has negotiated his contracts without the assistant of an agent. With a base salary of $845,000, Albright was among the league's highest-paid players at his position last season

After 15 seasons in the league, Albright is confident he could still help the Redskins. "I'm very happy with what I've done and what I put on film last season," he said. "I've very comfortable I can still play.

"But in this game, you never really know what's going to happen. With all the changes, maybe they have their own guy. But I know I want to be with the Redskins. March 5 is the day it all gets started, so we'll what happens here pretty soon."

By Jason Reid  |  February 27, 2010; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins hire Malcolm Blacken and Chad Englehart as strength coaches
Next: Bradford not opposed to playing for Redskins

Comments

I see there was a lot of blogging since the last time I was up here.

Posted by: dcsween | February 27, 2010 12:11 PM

There was. You really missed it. But you're a busy man and you deserve an Executive Summary:

JC should be the QB next year!
Should not. You're an idiot!

With the #4 pick we should take a QB!
Should not. You're an idiot!

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

He's the best in the league. We should sign him.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys already talk about Jasno's interview by the Sports Reporters? esp. the part about how Vinny (Notre Dame alum) has been on "Team Clausen" down in Florida where he's working out ... and how Vinny and Kiper are pals (Jasno used the term "boys").

He also talked about how, after around May 1, when the contracts expire for nearly the entire player evaluation/scouting staff, there could be another shakeup. He noted that everyone seems high on Marrocco Brown, but also said that Bobby DePaul, of course, is available, as is the guy who was Carl Peterson's #2 guy in Kansas City back when KC was good.

Finally, he said that he thought that: the Skins and Rabach likely would be able to work something out (mostly b/c a decade of neglect on the line means that Rabach has hand); Campbell likely would be starting for the Skins in September; and that, after lots and lots and lots more intervening drama, in the end, Portis will not be on the Skins as of Week One.

Pardon me if I'm repeating any of this up here. I see there was a lot of blogging since the last time I was up here.

Posted by: dcsween | February 27, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse
Thanks dcs. Not too interested in "Team Clausen", but it's interesting to see some of the behind-the-scenes action.

I'm still a fan of Morocco Brown, hope we can keep him in our FO.

Yes, we need healthy bodies on OL, and until we get a better center, Rabach will be resigned shortly.

Actually, I think the same will be the case with CP. Until we get someone better...

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

With the #4 pick we should take a QB!
Should not. You're an idiot!

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 12:31 PM
=====================================
Did you forget?

With the #4 pick we should take a LT!
Should not. You're an idiot!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 27, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

BRUCE CAMPBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's git him!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

With the #4 pick we should take a LT!
Should not. You're an idiot!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | February 27, 2010 12:47 PM

You're right, although I remember it differently:

With the #4 pick we should take a LT!
You don't know anything about football. You're an idiot!

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

DRAFT LINEMEN!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Awrighty, who's faster, Spilla or McClustas?? The Skins should draft the fasta, but Won already WON!!..http://www.wonabc.com/

shoutouts to all the killa whales on death row, wudda brudda know??? And toall those crazy cats workin the HAARP up there in Alaska, keepin' the erf shakin' worldwide and flyin' the psychedelic skies, paz-onde'...

Posted by: frak | February 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

L_S summery works for every redskins blog on the web.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 27, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Alex--We had about 50% more topics -- three instead of two -- when Vinny was here. On balance, though, I'm still glad he's gone, even if we have to endure this monotony. Or, with two topics, is it bitony?

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

tritony - there's been a little bit of 3-4 defense sprinkled in

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the same will be the case with CP. Until we get someone better...

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 12:41 PM

I think he's gone. I don't think he can get into shape and I don't think Shanahan will put up with his BS. I don't think Portis can live without the BS -- that's who he is.

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The Red Snapper lives!

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think the same will be the case with CP. Until we get someone better...

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 12:41 PM

Posted by: League-Source | February 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse
I understand, but I just think he can still ball. Not sure how his bone spurs are in his feet. But I don't see anyone better on the roster. Sure, we will probably draft someone, but I don't think we will get a premier back. So it will be RB by committee. I think Betts will be gone, due to his surgery. Time should have healed CP's concussion issues. I know he has a huge contract. I just don't see anyone better on the roster or in FA.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It's still a capless year, right??? Obtain surefire linemen through free agency...I think McClusters might be a little tougher than Spiller considering his number of touches again at RB...Who would you rather have , a young Santana Moss or a young Steve Smith?? Both about the same speed but Smith definitely thickerer and more durable-I'm talking about Kackolacky Smith here, not NY Smith..

Posted by: frak | February 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

My 2010 Redskin Draft:

mid to low 1st: OT Bruce Campbell
2nd: HB Ryan Mathews/Anthony Dixon
2nd: OT Vladimir Ducasse
3rd: OG Mike Johnson
4th: LB A.J. Edds
5th FB Rashawn Jackson
7th: C Eric Alsen/ John Estes.

I opt to trade out of the 4th overall pick since someone LIKE Al Davis is willing to give up the world for that spot. We can fill alot more needs with the extra picks.

Drafting offensive lineman is never an exciting draft but it HAS to be done to set us up for the future. we my not agree on the names but we need at least 3 offensive Linemen to come from this draft.

Posted by: lszovati | February 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

RED SNAPPER may go on the endangered species list this season.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Bradford all the way. Draft lineman in 2nd round and shanny will work his magic and get his type of lineman in free agency. Draft a running back late in the draft. Keep an eye on the free agent lineman from the Texans, Broncos, and 49ers. Drafting by need got us Landry over Adrian Peterson, we won't make that mistake again.

Posted by: Redskins001 | February 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller!!!!

He's a difference maker!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

code of da toad, 007..I ain't NEVER been f'ed wid..Bobby Mitchell and Charlie Taylor wuz RBs converted to wide recievers and how did that work out?? Saw Osama Bin Laden in hassidic dreadlocks and the acidic black and white suit walkin around the diamond district Times Square..All them Middle Easterns is related, but do the Hatfields and the McCoys have to suck the whole world down the sink???..McClusters will generate TD-clusters, you watch..

Posted by: frak | February 27, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Another reach post-draft - TONY WASHINGTON OT Abiline Christian, 6'7" 305. Little All-America, Div II Coaches All- America, in addition to ADRIAN TRACY DE, W&M, MATT McCRACKEN LG, UofR, TERRELL WHITEHEAD FS, NS, and ED WANG OT, VT.

'SKINS should try to grab ANTONIO DIXON DT(RAVENS), CECIL NEWTON C(JAGUARS) and GREG TOLER CB (CARDINALS) if they are waived during the pre-season. In TOLER's case that's highly unlikely short of an injury.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

And "Jumpy" GEATHERS' boy JARVIS is a good look at OLB post-draft.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

He's a difference maker!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2010 2:03 PM

What difference does it make? [Actually, you don't need to say more about Spiller, I just wanted to repeat the phrase.]

The most interesting nugget from the interview with Jasno was that Vinny and Kiper are pals. Given the amount of screaming up here about both, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that they get along with each other so well.

Posted by: dcsween | February 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Vinny seemed like he just read Kiper's or the Sporting News's evaluation chart, yep..He had a few hits, but front office consistency with the coaches and the players furly reeked..Nobody seemed to be on the same page, particularly regarding the draft..

Posted by: frak | February 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think they should trade whomever they can if they can get value picks, this year and next year. Excluding perhaps an Orapko, Davis, etc, the "youth".

If the QB's happen to drop to the 2nd round I can see them going for it ... especially Bradford. Other than that I think they will proceed to rebuild the OL since this draft is deep with talent in that area.

They need more picks. At QB they can always sign a veteran until they find the guy the want in the draft.

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

maryland o-linemen = florida wr's

stay far far away from them in the draft

Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 1:28 PM

What's your expectation of an undrafted OL? Heyer should have never been anything but a backup yet due to the 10 years of neglect he was counted on to start. He outplayed Levi and was pretty durable and gave this team more than you should expect from an undrafted OL.

Edwin Williams was another undrafted terp and he shows promise as a C/OG.

Jared Gaither was taken by the Ravens in the 4th rd of the supplemental draft and he will a 10 yr started at LT/RT.

So your comparison is weak.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't listen to anything Kiper has to say about the Redskins as that is just good ol' Vinny.

I think you'll see them **rapidly** revamping, going for more youth and speed at all positions. I don't think anyone is "safe". Especially if they don't show up for those OTA's ... apparently Shanahan is just as big on these as Gibbs was, maybe more so.

So far, so good, but we all have to wait to see if Danny (with Vinny whispering in his ear) intercedes, interrupts, overrules, etc.

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

San Clemente is way crowded ... had enough of the DC and Atlanta traffic! Thinking its better next to the now extinct seven to nine sisters. Mebbe scamp prefers it cause that was Nixon's home?

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Great Article on Redskins, Campbell, and Shanahan.

Posted by: b145579 | February 27, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | February 27, 2010 3:26 PM |

San Clemente is nowhere near as crowded as most of Southern CA. I prefer it because I live in Dayton, OH now. I could care less who is from where.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"The Terps do a great job of maximizing the little bit of talent they get into their program and have one of the best strength and conditioning program in the country."
Posted by: Diesel44 |

Agreed. I've been amazed at the quality of players coming out of College Park. Bruce Campbell didn't even get to play that much, and here he is on the verge of a big pro contract. I'd compare it to UVA under Groh.

And like Groh, Ralph may get fired for not winning enough. Still, Maryland's success in raising NFL players should be a selling point to recruits. In some ways, the team that surprises me in terms of recruiting success is Penn State. Their guys may get drafted high but in some cases really seem unprepared for the next level. Not just the QBs, either. That's why I find it something of a mystery why a blue chip player would leave this area for State College or Syracuse. Va Tech I can understand.

If my son was talented and wanted to be an NFL player, he could do a lot worse than Maryland.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I think it will make a big difference for Maryland this year if they get away from the passing game. They've got a talented multi-purpose QB, some talent at RB, and a line that's at least a year older and stronger. Friedgen's best teams going back to Georgia Tech have been built around the running game. Spreading the field would help a lot too. He's got some really fast kids and if they can find some holes, we could see some real improvement.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Bradford isn't opposed to having his picture on the side of his helmet.............................................BEEPS

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

maryland o-linemen = florida wr's
stay far far away from them in the draft
Posted by: coparker5 | February 27, 2010 1:28 PM

Yeah- that Percy Harvin was terrible:
60 Receptions
790 Yards
13.2 Average
6 TD's

Those FL Gators are awful...

Posted by: RedskinsNow | February 27, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse