Alexander on special teams

Lorenzo Alexander had a big hit on special teams and also forced a fumble on defense during the Redskins' 27-17 victory over the Denver Broncos last week. The Redskins face the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday, and special teams faces a Texas-sized challenge.

Dallas has the league's fourth-ranked offense, Tony Romo is a big-play quarterback and the team has many playmakers in the passing and running games. So the Redskins have to perform well on kickoff and punt coverage to make things as difficult as possible for the Cowboys.

"Our coverage game has to be on the top of our list," Alexander said. "You don't want those guys getting great field position. You want to keep inside the 20 as much as possible, but it's not easy."

Wide receiver Patrick Crayton leads the NFC and is second in the NFL in punt returns with a 14.4-yard average. His longest return covered 82 yards and Crayton has scored two touchdowns. Dallas is benefitted from his aggressive approach this season.

"Crayton has really made a big stride in his game," Alexander said. "He's not fair catching as much anymore and he's had some big returns."

Speedy running back Felix Jones is averaging 20.7 yards on 18 kickoff returns with a long gain of 38 yards. Jones has no touchdowns on kickoffs but he returned one for a 98-yard touchdown last season, when he had a 27.1-yard average. Impressive wideout Miles Austin is having a breakout year on offense and also is averaging 24.7 yards on six returns.

"You've got Felix back there, and he's got great speed and is an awesome returner," Alexander said. "They also have some other capable guys they can go to, so we've got to execute and get it done."

By Jason Reid  |  November 21, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn says Davis's work is paying off
Next: With 7 games left, hope has sprouted

Comments

maybe we can start using devin thomas a returner this week...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 21, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Or Carlos Rogers as punt returner!!!

Posted by: charley42 | November 21, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

F the Cowchokes!

Posted by: VegasJim | November 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

F the Cowchokes!

Posted by: VegasJim | November 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Or Carlos Rogers as punt returner!!!

Posted by: charley42 | November 21, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

You have to be able to catch a football to return a punt!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | November 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Timeout...FYI, the holiday toy of the year is a hamster:

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully there will be no felching accidents with these hamsters!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

i dont know if anyone has pointed this out but the skins are only 2 games out of the wildcard. no team is more than 2 games ahead of the skins for the wildcard spots!

i know im being unrealistic and far too optimistic, but im just sayin...

Posted by: follybeach | November 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Alexander needs to be involved Sunday, he had two HUGE plays last week.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | November 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Every week, actually, I should say, every day, he just continues to improve, and it started with that bye week the time that he spent out there working," Zorn said. "But then each week, I think after the first game, he really saw ... the speed, how tough it was going to be, how hard he had to come to the game. He had to be very tough physically, very tough mentally. It's really shown in the way he's prepared."

------------------------

And just like that, over one weekend, what Davis could not learn over a year and a half period he suddenly grasps. It can't be the fact that he finally had to play?

What did he know in the game before the bye week that allowed him to have more catches and yards than he has had in the two games since? Certainly his blocking has improved over that period, but again I say it's playing time that is the difference.

Same for DT. In fact when he was allowed to return KO's in preseason Zorn mentioned that maybe that helped DT get into his rhythm faster, yet they continue to trot Rock out there.

Zorn needs to start developing his young players by actually letting them play on game day which is the only way they will ever learn the speed of the game.

Starting during the bye week my a ss.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

i know im being unrealistic and far too optimistic, but im just sayin...

Posted by: follybeach | November 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

What's gonna kill us is that we lost to the Panthers and Falcons.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 21, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

If were the GM, here's how I'd draft next year:

1st round- Best available LT (Okung? Campbell?)
1st round (trade next year's 1st and Ladell Betts)- Jahvid Best, RB (Cal)
2nd round- Trevard Lindley, CB (Kentucky)-- sure, I'd rather have a lineman, but let's be real, it ain't gonna happen again on day 1 after the 1st round
4th round- Best available C/G
5th round- Best available OL
7th round- Best available OL

Then get some free agents to solidify our depth for a year, then use 2011 to further stack the OL, linebacking corps, and such. I know I'm in the minority, but I think Jason Campbell could be even better if he had adequate protection and a mean running game to back up on.

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 21, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

...but I think Jason Campbell could be even better if he had adequate protection and a mean running game to back up on.

Posted by: TDawg1 |

And the Skins stop using the WCO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

funny article on Jay Cutler refusing an interview with Costas. I can only imagine how quickly Skins fans would have turned on him.

It's also a bad decision by Smith and Angelo to bring Cutler into the fold on this one. Like the new Bears quarterback doesn't have enough image problems in that city and nationwide. Now he needs to be pegged as a petulant, pampered star who won't talk to the media because he had a bad game against the 49ers? The last thing Cutler needs is to give the public more reasons to dislike him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"...but I think Jason Campbell could be even better if he had adequate protection..."

Better by what standard?

Jason Campbell has shown the ability to make the occasional play with his legs.

But that's standard.

This season, Jason Campbell has had adequate blocking and left touchdowns on the field.

That's not standard.

In the 2009 Sports Illustrated NFL season preview, various top quarterbacks all pointed out that they get hit on every play, and are expected to make throws.

Aaron Rodgers is the most sacked quarterback in the NFL, and puts up numbers despite getting hit.

So much for the, "He has got to have great blocking to pass well," argument.

Campbell has to be the type of game managing quarterback who can make plays with his legs and arm.

We know he's not a gunslinger.

But he does have a sound ground game to take the weight off whatever inabilities he has as the leader of the redskin offense.

So he must excel at scrambling and making accurate throws when the play is there.

He has to show teams that despite the mediocre offensive line play, he can be a threat.

Otherwise, defensive teams will continue to load the box, and dare him to beat him.

And until he does, that's going to be the standard defense against him and the Washington Redskins' offense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

follybeach

"...I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but the skins are only 2 games out of the wildcard..."

I like the idea of being in the playoffs if it means you have the kind of team that can make a push to go 'deep' into the tournament.

Otherwise, I'd rather finish poor enough to load up on draft picks.

Remember: if we finish poorly, we get high picks in the round were we have a selection.

So our improving team can load up on quality depth guys, shed more bad contracts, select some offensive linemen in free agency, and play a weaker schedule in '10--then be ready for a deep push into the playoffs.

I like that scenario better.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Mista Moe my fellow passenger of the "open up the offense express" i will somewhat agree. However, more picks with the current organization isn't a lock be a good thing.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | November 21, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Stop!! Making excuses for Cutler a bunch of you were ready to bring him in here and throw Jason overboard and how many I N T's does he have? i can't imagine JC throwing 17, count'em 17 picks and not being run out of DC Vinny and his boss were ready to move heaven and earth for Jay INT Cutler if Jason leads the Skins to victory Sunday then Washington is back in the hunt for the wildcard, lets go DC11.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 21, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but does anyone else get the Redskins Insider texts? I got one today that reads "WS OTRDKN LR: Gtlv cr pa e n lgcvrg normbl ieSna hnteRdkn lyteCwos OE" and i'm trying to figure out what it was suppose to say

Posted by: CharlieDay1 | November 21, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CharlieDay1 | November 21, 2009 6:37 PM

I think it says that you should stop getting the Redskins Insider texts. With this spelling, it could only have been written by Jasno LaCanfora and was sent sometime last spring. Someone has blocked you from knowing the truth for eight months, whatever that truth may be.

Posted by: League-Source | November 21, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

"However, more picks with the current organization isn't a lock be a good thing."

I agree.

We complain about the FO.

But it ain't changing.

So, I hope, I dream, I spit into the wind.

The result?: I wipe my face a lot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I wipe my face a lot.

You have GM written all over your face. Well, not written exactly.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

If were the GM, here's how I'd draft next year:

1st round- Best available LT (Okung? Campbell?)
1st round (trade next year's 1st and Ladell Betts)- Jahvid Best, RB (Cal)
4th round- Best available C/G
5th round- Best available OL
7th round- Best available OL

Posted by: TDawg1
__________________

Use our first from 2011 as well as 2010, and not draft a QB relatively high? No thanks. JC's still pitiful (i.e. 2nd string quality), even though we won one game... people seem to forget this towards the end of every week as hope & optimism set in anew. His clock speed, ability to see the field and his receivers, pocket awareness, long wind-up, consistency of accuracy are all unacceptable. Of course it's not easy to find a good to very good QB (and I'm not talking "franchise"), but you need to keep taking shots in order to find one.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 21, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So, I hope, I dream, I spit into the wind.

The result?: I wipe my face a lot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 7:25 PM |

You have GM written all over your face. Well, not written exactly.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 9:23 PM |

Sometimes things is written on the wind, but hardelly ever on some schmuck's mug.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | November 21, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag

Its about time someone said that! Most of the folks here wanted him despite his reputation. If Cutler had those numbers in DC they would blame everyone but him.

I said from the beginning that I would rather have JC over Cutler any day. Protect him and he'll be fine. Oh, and please get rid of this WC offense.

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen

That's the problem. You keep hoping to find another QB instead addressing the other problems first. We've been taking these "shots" for years instead of building around someone first.

I guess Cutler would have been the solution huh?

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Protect him and he'll be fine. Oh, and please get rid of this WC offense.

Can we agree that both are necessary? JC is miscast in a WCO, and it's to the discredit of the FO that they went WCO after Gibbs and of Zorn that he continues to try to make margaritas with whiskey and ice.
Speaking of which, I'll be back in a minute.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 9:41 PM |

Most of Cut's probs are due to lack of serviceable WRs and knowledgeable O coaches. At least he has the balls to sling the hash. You mama's boy Camp specializes in the fetal 3 yd completes when it is 3rd and 6.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | November 21, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Protect him and he'll be fine. Oh, and please get rid of this WC offense.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 9:50 PM |

It ain't that they went WCO that sucks, its that they did'nt do the followup changes necessay to make WCO work - personnel and coach changes. Plus Z bird may know the WCO but he sure don't know how to actually do it. It was another WCO dude, Sherm Lewis, that showed us that.

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | November 21, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, I'll be back in a minute.

Posted by: daggar

No arguements from me. You are totally correct. And way to start the tailgaiting early! I'm gonna do the same.

F DALLAS!

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice spin dcwun. Who said don't address the other problems first, and who said Cutler would've been better? Certainly wasn't me, so your retort has no correlation to my comments.

And "the Skins have been taking shots at QB for years"? JC's been it for us for what, 5 years? I was referring to actually signing someone else, not talking about it as we did last offseason. Yeah, he should blossom any moment now, you just keep thinking that buckwheat. It's Oline first for me at this point, but we need to try to find a better QB.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 21, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm

I knew it! That's exactly what I ecpected to hear from the JC haters. Cutler throwing all of those INTs in the red zone has NOTHING to do with WR, its his decision making. To say that at least he has the guts is crazy. If that what a gunslinger does, they can have him.

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"Use our first from 2011 as well as 2010, and not draft a QB relatively high? No thanks."

Where did I make a mistake? You just said take a QB with a high pick. There aren't many franchise tackles found in the later rounds. We've proven that already.

Just curious, most folks have JC as the top free agent QB available next year (he's restricted). Who is available that would be better?

Posted by: dcwun | November 21, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam
_______________

Truer words were never spoken...

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 21, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheAnimalFarm | November 21, 2009 9:51 PM

Cutler's insufficiencies were hidden because he had Shannah was calling plays. However, it is on the QB to protect the ball in the red zone. All of Cutler's red zone interceptions are a product of Cutler, his decision making down there stinks.

Posted by: TWISI | November 21, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't have better name in mind, but to say that JC is the best on the list is eerily reminiscent of the list of NFL QBs coached by Jeff Tedford -- Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Boller, Billy Volek, AJ Feely, Joey Harrington, and Trent Dilfer.
Lust for Medium exemplified.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I take that back... it's hip hip whatever exemplified.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I beg to differ about the WCO.

I see no problems with the skins utilizing it, even with Campbell under center.

Thing is, it'll be a two-tight end, two man, tight end delay type WCO.

Deep throws will be rare.

Power running mixed with playaction passing and 15 play drives should be the norm.

"Time of possession" will become the stat of utmost importance.

If Sherm and Zorn are left alone in the offseason, next year's skins' offense should look even more like the 2005 Seattle Seahawks.

A WCO offense tailored to what personnel is on the roster does best should be the future.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Couple of comments interest me.

1. The idea of trading our 2011 #1 pick for a second first rounder to draft a running back.

No. First, We have running backs for next year. Second, if we want to draft a RB for the future, which I agree we should, we can get one far later. Follow the Denver model. A RB is as good as their O-Line. How many fast strong guys that follow thier blocks are there out there? A gillion? Clemson RB. Stanford RB. Noel Devine. Hell the guy from Oregan that dropped that Boise St Defensive End with a quick left hook. Guys bagging groceries. The best RB can't run without an OLine and an adequate one can look like a start with a great one. So you don't draft a RB before the middle rounds, at the earliest, period. Particularly with gaping holes at both tackles and guard, and center.

2. The idea that we should only want to get to the Playoffs if we can advance.

We aren't going to get to the playoffs. I agree that the losses to ATL and CAR make it (practically) impossible. But if we do, I'll mess my pants. And I won't be worrying about our draft picks. You make it to the dance, you have a chance. Ask the Dilfer Ravens. Or the Giants from a couple of years ago. Or the Cardinals who came a toe tap away from a super bowl win. You make it, you have a chance.

Posted by: brianearman | November 21, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

lol at those hamsters who point at cutler or sanchez to show how "good" campbell is. cutler's a gunslinger that makes too many mistakes, for whatever reason. sanchez is just starting and who knows what he will be.

this is a good description of campbell:

*8JC's still pitiful (i.e. 2nd string quality), even though we won one game... people seem to forget this towards the end of every week as hope & optimism set in anew. His clock speed, ability to see the field and his receivers, pocket awareness, long wind-up, consistency of accuracy are all unacceptable.
chasgiffen**

because other qbs are struggling or suck does not make campbell any better that what he is- mediocre.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 21, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Come on y'all. We're gonna throttle the cowgirls tomorrow, yet there's all this discussion about the draft and next year. I got my sights set on monkey-stompin the cowpies.

Posted by: aaronharman | November 21, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"We have running backs for next year..."

We have two 30 years old backs and a guy who's hurt a lot and doesn't practice.

I'll build around the better of the two 30 year olds and draft a dynamic speed back to compliment him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 21, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Man...

11:30 Saturday night before Dallas, and there hasn't been a new thread in 11 1/2 hours and we're talking about next years draft and the WCO.

F!
DALLAS!

Posted by: edvar | November 21, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Just to chime-in on this Campbell debate...IMHO, there's really only 4 or 5 truly elite qb's out there: payton, brady, roethelesberger(sp?), brees, possibly rivers, and maybe, just maybe favre if he's on the right team. but the jury is still out on favre if he can hold up for a whole season. Any given week, every other qb in the league is at best, better than average. Campbell isn't the answer but he isn't the solution. A dominant O-line will always be a solution, even with an "average" qb.
What I'd like to see from Campbell is for him to get up in someone's grill and yell at a receiver for running a wrong route or being more authoritative on the field.

Oh yea, F dallas.

Posted by: aaronharman | November 21, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Moe, The words I use for a WCO QB are things like "hyper-accurate", "throws with anticipation and conviction", "throws a real catchable ball". and "decisive".
JC is a tough, solid QB that can make every throw, can hurt you with his legs as well as his arm, and does not panic or make bad decisions under pressure.
But he's not particularly accurate (for NFL money, I'm talking about "brush the angels off the head of a pin" accurate), throws a real hard ball (makes up for late throws with pure arm power), and has trouble with ball security.
In one of the draft prospect sites, they always do a "Compares to" section for each prospect. For me, JC compares to Ben R... who has won a couple of rings, right?

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Campbell isn't the answer but he isn't the solution.

Yes! That's exactly the conflict that everyone Up Here sees!

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

If the game plan tomorrow and the play calling are similar to last weeks win over Denver, then the Skins have a chance to win this game.

Last week was the first time it looked like the Skins were ready to play from the get go. On offense at least.

Romo, if given a chance, will lose the game for the cowgirls if the Skins don't outright win the game.

Keys: run for 125+ yards, protect the ball and don't give up more than one big play (Skins could over come one big play).

Be nice not to see ARE handling punts or Rock KO.

(Ir)regardless, F dallas!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 21, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Heh heh. It's like my favorite t-shirt from way back says: "I root for 2 teams, the Redskins and whoever's playing Dallas".

I get to root for my two favorite teams at the same time!!

F Dallas!!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 22, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

And 11 1/2 hours of same old is crazy. Seriously, no new poles?!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 22, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, no new poles?

I don't know what strippers you're watching, but I prefer mine to use the same pole.
And I think you know what I mean by that.

Posted by: daggar | November 22, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

that's what she said

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 22, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Raise your hand if you think Carlos could get moved to free safety, leaving LaRon Landry to play strong safety.
Posted by: MistaMoe

(hand raised)

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 22, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

daggar

"For me, JC compares to Ben R... who has won a couple of rings, right?"

Ah, well---no, he doesn't.

Big Ben makes the throws whether the guy is open or not.

To me,like with Rodney Harrison, Jason Campbell is a back up with possibilities.

The NFL is a passing league, meaning you really need an accurate guy who throws with conviction--even if his arm strength isn't all that.

One way to get some conviction and accuracy working in Campbell's favor is using 'two-man routes' with a tight end running a delay crossing route underneath or to play side.

Two tight end formations will provide pass and run blocking and lure the defense into 'run' fronts.

It cuts Campbell's reads down to two simple choices and a dump off underneath if nothing is there.

From what I remember, that's more like the system he played in as an Auburn Tiger.

It looks like it was a bad idea to think Campbell could process his reads quick enough to function in a 3-4 wide passing system.

This is not a comment on his intelligence, mind you, but an observation about what he seems to do best.

And once Sherm and Zorn maximize what he does best, it'll open him up to other possibilities.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 22, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Ah, well I know which choice he'll make.

Posted by: daggar | November 22, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

Don't know how this was related to looking up deadlift forms, but I stumbled on the scouting report Vinny saw before calling Cutler's agent last summer.

I don't recommend watching for very long, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm going to get clubbed for this, but it was too funny, how could I not share?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 22, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

After watching the 4th quarter of the 1999 home game against the Cowboys on the NFL network, I see why Ethan Albright has a job.

Motha F DALLAS

Posted by: dcwun | November 22, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

jc needs to have a defense play in slo mo so he can see the open rec. thats it make teams against him use slo mo camera play.

Posted by: rls1041 | November 22, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse