Alexander Waits for Role on Offense

In camp this season, Alexander has primarily worked in the important tackle-end hybrid position that Demetric Evans excelled at last season. Evans left in free agency to join the 49ers, and Alexander hopes to be as productive in his new job for the Redskins.

"I think I've been able to pick everything up, as far as playing end, fairly well," said Alexander, expected to play significantly against the Ravens.

"Our veteran tackles have had limited practice time, so I've had to take more reps at tackle. I think I'm light-years ahead of where I was last year, in terms of my pass rush and quickness."

One of the big questions among Redskins fans, judging from email, is whether Coach Jim Zorn plans to use Alexander on offense this season.

"Last year, I didn't do anything [on offense] in camp, and then they told me to go in on goal line and short-yardage plays," he said. "It was mostly at tight end. I only needed to know four or five plays, and I was only blocking the guy over me, so it's not too complicated.

"Last year, I probably got in there once or twice a game. That probably equates to 25, 30 plays. I haven't done anything yet, so I just have to wait and see if they need me. But I can go out and catch a pass. That's what I'm really waiting for. I want them to throw me the rock."

On Sept. 4, Alexander said his charitable foundation will provide $100 each for 40 Northern Virginia children whose parents are unemployed to use to shop for school clothes and supplies at a Target store in Alexandria. "They've got to get ready for school just like we're getting ready for the season," Alexander said. "I'm just trying to help them to that."

By Jason Reid  |  August 12, 2009; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham Faces Challenge from Rayner
Next: Mitchell Takes Relaxed Approach to NFL

Comments

At FIRST, I thought they were talking about Shaun Alexander.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Every DT's wish: "Throw me the rock!"

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

from a bit earlier

As far as the most 'important' part of the defense, Marvin Lewis liked to say that it was cornerback. Recent drafts suggest that he's not alone in his thinking. The fact that Washington finished fourth in the NFL in defense, despite virtually no pass rush, makes me think the defensive backs were even better than people thought.

Posted by: Samson151

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, the draft classes by the top teams bears out Lewis's comments. I took a look at what the Colts, Steelers, jints and Pats drafted over the last several years ... and they all picked a high % of DBs. As did the Skins. Posted by: zcezcest1"

Yup, and now it seems to be swinging to pass rushers and left tackles...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think they should let him concentrate on defense, let him get comfortable......

Regarding Youk, that brawl was 1000 percent on Jim Leyland. He told his pitcher to hit V-Mart, and he tried to but failed, so next batter was Youk, and he succeeded. The only problem was that Leyland cost his team the game by being an idiot. Tazawa wasn't trying to hit Cabrera, and was losing 3-0 at the time.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Fifth!

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

(Piling on Suishy from previous post)

Suisham's 72% clip last year ranked him at number 35 out of 39 kickers who attempted at least 1 FG in the NFL.

The 4 kickers with a worse percentage:
Grammatica 6/10
Nick novak 6/10
Steve Hauschka 1/2
Mike Nugent 0/1

Basically, Suisham had the WORST FG% of any kicker who attempted more than 10 FGs last year.

Posted by: p1funk | August 12, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Alexander start learning to play some Fullback. Mike Sellars won't be around forever and I think Alexander might be able to fill that big blocking fullback role. I think things are pretty crowded on the D-line and I think he could be more valuable on offense.

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 12, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

I maintain we've drafted fairly well over the past decade - when we draft.

We've actually picked up a lot of solid talent, which makes the free agent acquisitions all the more egregious.

And somebody made the call to get rid of Taylor, Springs, Washington, Evans, Jansen, and Kendall, and not replace them with high profile FA moves. DHall kinda fell into our laps, and of course Albert was the splash of the year, but one kind of gets the feeling that the days of 'one more big name and we'll have a ring' are slipping behind us. Heck, look at the coach they hired.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey -- I'm gonna ask a dumb question: What does "beep beep" mean? I've been reading this forum off and on for a few years and never figured out the deal with the beeping.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

5 movie moments that I really like:

Mongo punches the horse in Blazing Saddles

Forrest Gump pulls out the Fortune magazine with his pic on the cover

Indiana Jones takes out an entire Nazi convoy

Robert Shaw tells the story of the USS Indianapolis in Jaws

The femme fatale tells Sam Spade 'a little, not much', when he asks her if there was "any truth in that yarn" in the Maltese Falcon

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

Generally means someone noticed a new thread has been started; the beep beep keeps conversations rolling across threads

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep = New post

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 12, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

" ... One of the big questions among Redskins fans, judging from email, is whether Coach Jim Zorn plans to use Alexander on offense this season ...."

So unknown random email is getting the credit on this? Not my question to Cindy on the chat last week? Not my pimping the idea up here? Sigh. Such is the life of an anonymous poster known only by his WaPo account name ...

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Yup, and now it seems to be swinging to pass rushers and left tackles...

Posted by: Samson151

Yes, it is swinging back. But also note that those specific teams already have decent-to-dominant d lines already. The Skins have, in my mind, always had a great DB presence, underrated even. That is in part due to Jerry Gray, who is a phenomenal coach. Detroit tried to call his number awhile back as a head coach prospect. I only hope he stays for quite some time. Him, and Blache. Blache can just plain get it done.

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

My Crystal Ball prediction, we will go after one of these 3 QB's in the draft next year. As posted on here numerous times, Campbell has to have a stellar year, and even then he might be gone. Depending on what stats Snyder considers to be "franchise QB" worthy.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep = New post

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 12, 2009 1:25 PM

I distinguish between "posts" (like this one from me here) and "threads" ... which are the things that the Mayor, the Cindy, the Tenorio, etc. write at the top of the page.

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

We know who is really pulling the strings, dcsween. We know.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I maintain we've drafted fairly well over the past decade - when we draft.

Posted by: mattsoundworld

I agree for the most part. When we've picked, the FO office has done OK in assessing talent. The 2008 draft class might be the exception, but it needs another year to sort out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 Redskins strengths:
5. Hunter the Punter (major upgrade)
4. Tight Ends (I'm a USC fan, so I'm biased, but I think Fred Davis will emerge as a playmaker, and Cooley is already awesome)
3. Two words: Clinton Portis
2. Secondary (DHall will have a very nice year and all 4 positions seem rock solid)
1. Defensive Line (Haynesworth and a ton of depth)
Top 5 Redskins weaknesses:
5. QB's: (Not Jason Campbell's fault, but he's still learning elements of the system, and his confidence could be easily shaken this year. Also, he may take a beating behing the o-line and we've got no trusted back-up)
4. WR's (I hate to sya this beacuse Moss is the best WR in the NFC Beast, but the corps as a whole haven't shown enough yet.
3. Kicker (I hate to put this at #3, but kicking could really cost the Skins 2-3 wins if it is inconsistent)Punt Returner
2. Punt Returner (I'm not ranking this so high due to the importance of the position, but because as much as I like ARE as a player, his punt returning was woeful last year. Maybe someone else will take over -- I hope...)
1. The Piglets AKA The Offensive Line (From the sound of things the entire unit looks rough -- I hope they pull it together).

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I actually said I would prefer him to stay on D. I am a fan of versatile players but if they wanted to keep him on both sides then he should have been doing it last year too, he is mostly a D-lineman so keep him at that spot IMHO. We have a glut of DT's so thats where a good GM makes a trade for a decent prospect lineman.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

Completely agree. I wonder what the average # of picks each team has had over the last decade?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1--
A movie moment that needs added is Jack Black punting Baxter off a bridge in Anchorman and Will Ferrell crying about it to Paul Rudd - hilarious!!

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the beep beep info -- That might have prevented me from posting my thesis on the last thread just as it ended. I posted this hoping someone might post their top 5's or at least tell me mine is idiotic or something, so I'll try again:...

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Which is exactly what its there for :)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Zcezce - how about:

Gene Wilder pounding on the door to be let out of the dungeon in Young Frankenstein.

The end of Usual Suspects.

Kevin Costner asking his dad to have a catch at the end of Field of Dreams.

Russell Crowe being carried off in Gladiator.

Meeting of the 5 families in Godfather.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 12, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

beantowngreg hearts larry michael!!!

4th, i thought i never say this but i miss the mickey mouse fun house club house aka mike & mike on 980. larry michael...ugh!!!

but did you guys hear about pitino???? that's some weird story. and the restaurant bar owner gave pitino the keys to the restaurant so he could have sex on one of his tables that people will be eating on the next day...wtf...

his assistant was listening to him having sex? then the woman married one of his assistants? the same assistant who's condo she used to have sex with pitino...and that was their first encounter. straaaaaaaaaaaange...wouldn't be surprised if that assistant, her now husband (team equipment manager or whatever) is behind trying to extort money...

Posted by: dealer1 | August 12, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

And, the scene at the Art Museum in Ferris Bueller.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 12, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

draft picks by position (rds 1-5, 2001-2008)
Col 1: Skins
Col 2: avg of Pats, Colts, Steelers, jints

QB 11% -- 05%
OL 07% -- 16%
WR 21% -- 09%
TE 14% -- 08%
RB 07% -- 05%

DL 04% -- 16%
LB 11% -- 15%
DB 25% -- 24%

Tm 00% -- 02%

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 2, 2009 12:12 AM

The OL and DL #'s stand out. Total for the top teams along the lines 32%, for the Skins 11%.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1"

That's interesting, but that's just over the last several years. I seem to recall several of those teams investing heavily along the defensive line.

The Patriots with Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Jarvis Green, who are all first rounders I believe (and they only have 3 starting spots). And when it came down to make choices, they let starters routinely walk along the secondary (Asante Samuel, Ty Law, Ellis Hobbs), while ponying up the dough for those guys down low to anchor their defense.

The Colts and Steelers keep it more balanced, each having one guy along each positional group anchoring their long-term hopes (Freeney and Sanders for Indy, Hampton and Polumalu for Pitt). Pitt's first round draft pick this season? NT Evander Hood. They're prepared to replace Casey Hampton even before Hampton has declined.

The Giants? They load up on defensive linemen. In recent years they've spent picks on the secondary, but that's because their line is already established. Umenyiora, Tuck, and Kiwanuka are there (and were there even before Strahan retired), and they still went out and spend $40+ million on Canty, while also adding Bernard to Cofield, Alford, and Robbins. Incredibly deep.

When was the last time a CB was the first defensive player selected in the draft? I know Tyson Jackson, a DE, was selected first this season (from a Patriot protege, no less). Two years ago, it was Chris Long, another DE. Three years ago? Gaines Adams, DE. 2006? Mario Williams, DE. Last time it happened was 2005, Pacman Jones. 2004 - Sean Taylor, 2003 - Dewayne Robertson, DT, 2002 - Julius Peppers, DE, 2001 - Gerrard Warren, DT, 2000 - Courtney Brown, DE.

In the last decade, that's 2 from the secondary, only one of whom is a CB, and 8 from the defensive line (6 DEs, 2 DTs).

I don't know, I seem to think D-linemen have been getting a little more attention than secondary members.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

beantowngreg hearts larry michael

Nice deal, nice, thats how you wanna play??

Who's gonna be starting on opening day, Culpepper, or Stafford??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Stay Classy steelers. Got to hand it to their PR staff. at least they did not have the Big Ben Rape story and the using guns from the evidence locker story happen in the same off season.... oh wait.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Zcezce - how about:

The end of Usual Suspects.

Kevin Costner asking his dad to have a catch at the end of Field of Dreams.

Russell Crowe being carried off in Gladiator.

Meeting of the 5 families in Godfather."

...Andy Dufresne climbing out of the sewage line and getting washed off in the rain

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 12, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Rypien, that scene near the end of The Usual Suspects was great stuff -- when the cop sees all the references are on his desk and board ... great scene

My favorite Young Frankenstein scene ... every time someone says Frau Blucher ... not sure why, but it just gets funnier as the years go by

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"My Crystal Ball prediction, we will go after one of these 3 QB's in the draft next year."

Could be, but a lot can happen. There are scouts on record who think Bradford is the only top ten pick in that group -- that McCoy is late first round and Tebow will go lower than that. Bradford is a risk too, because he's been playing in a very non-NFL type offense (as have the others). Any of the above could be surpassed by Jevan Snead of Mississippi. Or by Jimmy Clausen or Matt Barkley if they get the opportunity, since they'll be playing in pro-style offenses.

There's no guarantee any of the three are better than Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Zcezce- good call. Frau Blucher!!! And the horse NAAAYYYYYYs every time. Hysterical.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 12, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

psps -- here's the complete analysis I did a month ago. Last 8 years, rounds 1 thru 5. Nominally, 40 picks each.

-----

Column 1 -- idealized balanced draft
Column 2 -- Skins picks (28 total)
Column 3 -- Pats picks (43 total)
Column 4 -- Indy picks (45 total)
Column 5 -- Steeler picks (41 total)
Column 6 -- jints (38 picks total)

used rds 1-5 from 2001-2008

QB 04% * 11% -- 05% -- 00% -- 10% -- 05%
OL 20% * 07% -- 16% -- 18% -- 20% -- 08%
WR 08% * 21% -- 12% -- 07% -- 05% -- 13%
TE 04% * 14% -- 09% -- 07% -- 07% -- 08%
RB 08% * 07% -- 07% -- 02% -- 12% -- 03%

DL 16% * 04% -- 16% -- 13% -- 13% -- 21%
LB 12% * 11% -- 09% -- 20% -- 15% -- 16%
DB 16% * 25% -- 24% -- 33% -- 17% -- 24%

Tm 12% * 00% -- 02% -- 00% -- 02% -- 03%

Thoughts on the draft picks:

I'll call the top teams the GOF (gang of 4). The GOF all picked a higher % of defensive players than the Redskins. A minimum of 45% to a max of 66% were defensive players, while the Skins only picked 40% on defense.

The GOF all selected between 29% and 33% linemen, the Skins 11%.

Everyone seems to think DBs are important. The minimum % of picks used on DBs was 17% and it ran as high as 33%. The Skins were right in the middle of that.

WRs are not heavily weighted, the GOF used a max of 13% on WRs (avg 9%), compared to 21% for the Skins.

The GOF used 16% of their picks on the OL and 16% of their picks on the DL.

Compared to the balanced model I suggested, the GOF were:

-4% on OL (20% vs 16%)
+4% on TE (4% vs 8%)
+3% on LB (12% vs 15%)
+8% on DB (16% vs 24%)
-10% on teams (12% vs 2%)

All the other positions were within 2% of the balanced draft.

In practice, the balanced draft, which is simply picking players in proportion to the number of starters, holds quite well for the GOF, except for special teams (underweight) and DBs (overweight).

One other note. No doubt the weighting on special teams was high. I considered there to be 3 starters on teams (K, P, KR/PR). Some draft picks may have been taken, at least in part, on their return potential, but classified as a DB or WR, etc

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 2, 2009 1:36 PM

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

There's no guarantee any of the three are better than Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

True, there are never any guarantees. Jevon Snead could shoot up the draft boards if Ole Miss puts together a good year.

Our best case scenario is for Campbell to have a great year, and to use our 1st round pick on the O-line. I think we all know if Campbell doesnt have a "break-out" year, then the Danny will jump through hoops to get whomever he feels will be his franchise QB.

Personally I would like to see some continuity at the QB position and start giving Campbell protection. But, we are where we are, and hopefully Campbell gets us to the playoffs. I think that in itself could keep him here.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 Redskins strengths:
5. Hunter the Punter (major upgrade)
3. Two words: Clinton Portis
1. Defensive Line (Haynesworth and a ton of depth)
Top 5 Redskins weaknesses:

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I would put Oline at the the absolute top of the list but I think there are two more weaknesses that didn't make your list. LB depth, if any of the starters get hurt we don't have a lot behind them, Blades is really it. And any kind of a speed/danger threat from RB, Rock is solid on teams but I'm hoping Mason makes the team as the #3 back cause if they truly share the carries more this year to keep CP fresh then Betts will probably fumble for 5 or 6 weeks then be hurt so our #3 back could be important, we don't want to be having to sign Shaun Alexander again.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

greg, a good offense is a good defense...i figured let's just fire the first shot...

ummmmmmmm dude, at least they have options. snyder and zorny are panicking over at skins park inviting vick's agent and shti cuz everyone and their mother knows the skins have a poop for a starting qb in jc. what a shame too cuz the skins defense is gonna be ahaasome this year.

Posted by: dealer1 | August 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Betts will probably fumble for 5 or 6 weeks then be hurt"

Actually, if you look at the numbers he's no more a fumbler, than Portis.

just fyi.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

and what's up with the nfl starting their season so late this year? it's never been this late.

my prediction is skins will win 4 games this year. i will watch cuz of the D. on paper it looks like a championship D.

Posted by: dealer1 | August 12, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

zceszcest

"5 movie moments that I really like":

I must interject myself into this.

Here goes:

a. The "Are you talkin' to me?" scene from Taxi Driver.

b. The scene in Gladiator where Crowe's character throws his sword into the crowd and shouts, "Do I entertain you!?"

c. The scene where Bogie tells Bacall in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" to 'blow' just by pressing her two lips together.

d. Any scene from "Young Frankenstien" is funny--high or sober.

e. The Russian roulette scene from "The Deer Hunter".

f. The end of "The Public Enemy" when James Cagney's beat up dead body is dropped at his mom's doorstep.

g. Finally, Pam Grier in "Coffy"--every scene, every shot, every tight piece of clothing she is wearing.

Pam Grier at age 29 is the finest woman America has ever known.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

another great scene ... the Hanson brothers 'warm-up' skate in Slap Shot

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny-the-boy-wonder lick each others taints

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 12, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The greatest moments on film for me in no particular order

"You Talking to Me" from Taxi Driver

Forest Gump, when the leg braces fall off

The moment from Jaws "We're gonna need a bigger boat"

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

deal, as a lions fan, what gives you the right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

That was Kevin Costner's dad??!?!

Totally kidding.

Posted by: Section104 | August 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

beantown

A million dollar internet bet says the Sawx bounce back and take two out of three from the Yanks next weekend.

And remember: Beware the Rays.......

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, I think total number of draft picks for certain teams is a flawed argument. As easily as one makes the argument that higher number of picks spent on one position represents their level of investment, it can just as easily be argued that having that many draft selections on one position represents the lack of actual long-term investments there. For example, take the Patriots. They've spent only 13% of their picks on the d-line, but a lot of those picks were very high, and a number of them were signed long-term (or are looking to be signed long-term). They've had very little fluctuation in comparison to their secondary, and have a lot of money tied up on those few guys. On the flip-side, they've spend 33% of their picks on DBs, in large part because they're constantly shuffling their secondary from year to year (including picking up former Redskin Shawn Springs this past year), and not investing heavily in those positions. They let starters walk, then draft a high number of mid-level talents in an attempt to replace them.

A better way to do it? Balance your statistics with a separate analysis on what the average draft selection (as in overall pick #) was for each position and how much cap space is tied up in each position per significant contributor. I'd put money on it that the defensive line wins those battles (compare the highest paid safety in the game to that of Albert Haynesworth's contract. That will give you a good indication on the level of value placed on the position).

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

From PKing, regarding #68:

Russ Grimm, offensive line, line coach. We need a Hog in the Hall. This is one of the best offensive lines of all time, and quite possibly the best, and it should be represented in Canton. What's hurt Grimm over the years is his shelf life -- he started just 114 regular-season games (19 more in the playoffs) and played four full seasons due to injuries -- but when he played, he was a dominant force at guard and center. He was a gritty force in the best running game in football in the eighties. I hope this is his year

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

At opposite end of the spectrum

The opening scene in 'All About Eve' and the black knight scene in 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

moe, sure, if we're talking internet dollars, then you're on.

If we were talking bonus points, you know, a real currency, then forget it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

deal

"...and what's up with the nfl starting their season so late this year?"

Roger "Good Cop" Goodell wants to lengthen the season so that the Feb. NFL combine starts just after the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl.

They've even made the Draft an additional day.

That's three dull days of Mel Kiper's 'intangibles' and Mike Mayock's 'heavy-legged, tight-waisted high-steppers'.

In 2015, the Pro Bowl will be on St Patrick's Day.

Some owners want a playoff at the end of the preseason--yes, there's that much interest and money in football.

The league's new slogan will be "All Football, All The Time"--a situation not unlike what happens in this blog.

Sometimes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Thnx for helping me with the RI vocab. Can someone explain the etymology of "SJK"?

Posted by: Bx2Bmore | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

CMB is all we got. Am I my brother's keeper?

New Jack City

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | August 12, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

Compared to last year, I would have to give the following analysis:

Offense: All things considered, the offense didnt win us many games last year. One would expect more from the passing game due to QB experience and additional WRs, and I don't think our Oline is worse than it was the last 8 games of last year.

Swing: 0 games

Defense: The defense was solid but unspectacular last year, and new additions up front, coupled with good depth everywhere but at LB should turn this into a potent group.

Swing: +2 games

Teams: Punting should be improved and returns may be improved if someone can hang onto the ball, but I consider this one a wash.

Swing: 0 games

Coaching: You gotta believe that Zorn and co will have a two minute offense installed when they need it this year, and an offseason with continuity can do wonders, but nothing should be taken for granted here.

Swing: 0 games

So that puts us at 10-6. Philly is rebuilding, Dallas is suffering from Romotoid arthritis, and the Giants will be without their All-Pro WR, so I'm confident that is an achievable mark.

More importantly, though, I think the defense is actually built together (not glued together), so there is no reason to think that our window of opportunity to improve the offense might extend into next season.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

bean

Lol!!!

Internet funds, pal.

If I wasn't, as they say, "..financilly-challenged..." I'd be in Florida in air conditioning, chillin'.

Wait a minute.

I am.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Are you not entertain"
Gladiator

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, I had been thinking the same thing to try quell all the “Betts is a big time fumbler” crowd, so I actually pulled some numbers. Portis fumbles once every 103.8 touches, and Betts fubles once every 66.7 touches….

While CP’s numbers are better, I think that Betts numbers are still avg amongst RB’s with at least 300 carries, if not better than avg…..I don’t think of him as a fumbler…more that some of his fumbles have come in close games……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

sween, if it's any consolation, I generally attribute any cockamamie idea I read about up here to you.

I love, love, love that I devote at least some fraction of my mind-grape processing to the conundrum of our O line depth chart. All these ridiculous scenarios. Will the converted D lineman come to help? Will the guy who spent two years out of the league ever be able to play football again after losing over a hundred pounds? Will this line totally collapse after any single injury? Stay tuned for the next thrilling episode in the Saga of the O Line!... ugh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 12, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

dl, I think that you nailed it in your last sentence, he's had more high profile fumbles, more fumbles that stay at the forefront of your mind.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

A movie moment that makes me laugh for a good minute every time I watch it is when MacCauley C puts the tarantula on Daniel Stern’s face in the first Home Alone….I make sure I watch that movie every xmastime for that scene alone…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

psps

*******

Actually, the Pats often play 3 down linemen. So 3/25 starters is 12% and they draft 13% on the DL. Pretty balanced.

I'm not trying to make a specific case for any team. I'm saying if you look at what the best teams in the league are doing -- and we're talking about 160+ draft picks among those teams, you'd expect some trends to emerge.

One of those trends is that they emphasize drafting DBs. Why? My analysis doesn't answer the question. Is it because DBs have a shorter career, take longer to develop, they peak early in their careers or the position is more valuable? Or is it because that they get too expensive, which is part of your point.

Can't answer the 'why' question. But I can say that if all the most successful teams draft heavily along the lines and the DBs, it would be foolish to ignore the data. Even if the reasons are not clear.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Entomology of SJK is - an early poster, I believe named Jack advised that his kids read the blog and he didn't like them seeing cursing - so instead of a choice word - SJK was used - meaning "Sorry Jack's Kids"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"5 movie moments that I really like"

I'll go a slightly more unconventional route and say:

(1) Snatch: When Boris walks out of the pawn shop after sawing off Benicio's hand; "but if if I see you again...YOU MUTHAF###ERS, well..." and then struts out.

(2) Pulp Fiction: "I've got this passage, Ezekiel 25:17..." (not really unconventional)

(3) Snakes on a Plane: "Enough is ENOUGH!! I'VE HAD IT WITH THE MUTHAF####IN' SNAKES ON THIS MUTHAF####IN' PLANE!!! Strap yourselves in. I'm shootin' some f###in' windows."

(4) Fifth Element: "Count to...10"
"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH" (Chris Tucker in the most girly voice imaginable)

(5) Big Lebowski: "You said it man. Nobody f$*#s with the Jesus."

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

my favorite Mel Brooks moment is from History of the World. Not a great movie, but the scene where Moses comes down from the mountain with the 15 commandments -- that one moment is very funny.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Lorenzo Alexander played a key role on offense, defense and special teams during the Redskins' late-season run to a playoff berth in 2007. Last season, he was an effective pass-rush specialist as a defensive tackle.
In camp this season, Alexander has primarily worked in the important tackle-end hybrid position"

So why can't this guy learn to kick off?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Marathon Man -- nothing like a sadistic Nazi dentist asking "Is it safe?"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Body bags we will need a lot for the ravens,Steelers and pats . If we have any bodies left from those games then you have the Giants on sept.13

Can some one yell Panic

Posted by: joevick | August 12, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"The real issue is we've severely under drafted along the lines. I looked at rounds 1-5 over the past several yers and all the top teams (jints, Colts, Pats and Steelers) averaged about 1/3 of their picks along the lines. The Skins were about 10%.
Posted by: zcezcest1"

I've probably said this before, but wouldn't you need to:

1) take a look at their free agent signings and trades -- if they're signing vets to fill their needs, why would they also draft at those positions?

2) look at a longer sample than a few years, to eliminate the possibility that they had young vets at those positions? For instance, once you draft Jansen and Samuels, you lessen your need to use high picks at those positions for years.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Your analysis is sound and I'm pretty close to where you are.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

One other point: this will no doubt annoy some of the more dedicated complainers around here, but the o-line actually did very well last season on a number of the usual measures, such as rushing yards. I think I already pointed out that line blocking gets credit for runs of less than ten yards, whereas backs get credit for longer carries, because they've outrun the blocking. The Skins gave up a lot of sacks last season, but Jason gets some of the blame for that, right? Seems to me that if the Skins have indeed done wrong by not drafting a higher percent of picks for the offensive line, then they haven't paid much of a price for it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll go a slightly more unconventional route and say:

(1) Snatch:

---------------------------------------

You could make a case for a great list limited to JUST that movie.

1 - Tyrone

2 - Whereas YOUR pistol says 'Replica' on the side...

3 - Brick Top walking in with a cup of coffee and talking about feeding bodies to pigs

4 - Boris cursing every time he's shot at point blank range

5 - The scene where the three plot lines collide with Boris in the middle of the road

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

From SI:

Speaking of lack of a pass rush, the Broncos are counting on their other first-round pick, outside linebacker Robert Ayers, to fill that void. The early returns have not been good as Ayers has admittedly been thinking too much as he attempts to comprehend Nolan's defense. The good news is Ayers is conscientious, plays with a high motor, and seems to have taken to heart the talking-to he received recently from veteran linebackers D.J. Williams and Andra Davis.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, one other remark: to demonstrate a correlation between percent of players drafted in a given area and team success, you can't just analyze the winning squads -- you have to look at all the clubs, and see if losing correlated fewer players drafted on the o-line, for instance.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"I think I already pointed out that line blocking gets credit for runs of less than ten yards, whereas backs get credit for longer carries, because they've outrun the blocking."

Except there's a major difference in the YPC between Portis and the other running backs we used, even though Portis rarely broke a big one (actually, never broke a big one). That tells you Portis had a very big influence on the overall YPC, including the under-10 yard runs.

And in the second half of the season, his YPC dropped from over 5 to 3.2. That tells you the both he and the offensive line struggled during that stretch, which is exactly the point of the criticism.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

CMB is all we got. Am I my brother's keeper?

New Jack City

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM

I still say that today, randomly while walking or talking to friends, and often forget where I get it from...lol....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'm out. Biiiiigg time US victory today. 4pm. Telemundo. Be there.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bx2Bmore | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Here's something interesting from the FO Almanac:

The place where New York has impressively managed to avoid injury for two years running is on the offensive line. No starter has missed a regular-season game for two seasons. It’s a remarkable accomplishment,considering that no other team has seen its starting five linemen make it through two consecutive seasons without missing a single start since 2003. In 2002 and 2003, both the Chiefs and the Vikings managed to pull off the feat; neither made it to three years, although the Chiefs’ starters only missed a single game in 2004; the Vikings’ linemen missed 18 games in each of 2004 and 2005.

For the Giants, the basis of their team’s strength is in the combination of the offensive line with fullback Madison Hedgecock, so losing even one player for any period of time would be a huge problem. When Kareem McKenzie struggled with a back injury last year and had to come out for periodic extended breathers in the middle of games, he was replaced by utility lineman Kevin Boothe, who proceeded to nearly get Eli Manning killed. The team has only Boothe and second-round pick William Beatty for recognizable backups, so an injury to a key player like right guard Chris Snee or center Shaun O’Hara could be disastrous for the offense."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Vinny just needs to remember noone's draft rules for the NFL

#1 - Every year in an eary round (rounds 1, 2 or 3) draft at least 1 OL or 1 DL.

#2 - Never draft a WR or DL as an impact player (RB, LB or CB are OK)

#3 - Don't trade away early round draft picks on veteran players

#4 - Don't be afraid to draft a strength position. You may be able to trade a veteran player for more picks.

#5 - Value the intangibiles: smarts, character, maturity

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 12, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

CMB is all we got. Am I my brother's keeper?

New Jack City

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor

LMAO 4TH. Look G Money we can't go back because I am on the run but I know how we can make this right. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

beep.....beep

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI, here's a link to a more formal stat analysis of offensive line performance. Interesting to note that in their adjusted numbers, the Skins ranked 5th in the NFL in run blocking (just behind the NYG), and 15th in pass blocking...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Pineapple Express
When the one guy says " thug life"

Posted by: richardgovea | August 12, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse