Alridge Signing Is Bad News for Cartwright

Special-teams standout Rock Cartwright was pushed further down the depth chart at running back when the team re-signed speed back Anthony Alridge off the Houston Texans' practice squad.

"I'm just trying to stay positive and do whatever I can to help the team," Cartwright said. "I'm a special-teams player, I got a job, and I'm happy about that."

Marcus Mason played ahead of Cartwright in the backfield during last week's 9-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams, and the Redskins plan to have Alridge active Sunday against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. The Redskins hope Alridge could provide a change of pace to a running game that has lacked a home run threat for a long time.

With five backs on the roster, Cartwright, again selected one of two special-teams captains, appears completely out of the team's plans on offense.

"I know what I can do, so I just have to stay prepared if they need me," Cartwright said. "You just work hard and stay positive for the team. That's what I do."

In the Week 2 victory over the Rams, wide receiver Devin Thomas split kickoff return duties with Cartwright. Against the Lions, Cartwright is expected to handle all the kickoff returns.

"Whatever they need me to do," Cartwright said. "I'm just here to help the team."

By Jason Reid  |  September 25, 2009; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Listed As Questionable for Sunday
Next: Campbell's Ankle 'a Whole Lot Better'

Comments

1st to repost:

Flound - Springbrook. Class of '98. You?

4-12 - Did they ever take your suntanning lotion? I wish i stuffed the rest of that Remy in my pocket! But I chugged the SJK out of that beer right before being patted down. My son was like 'DAYUUUUM!'....lol

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

================================================

Is it me or dis Rock just get fat off of eating too much humble pie???

Wow.....Talk about changing your tune...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought JZ said that DT was gonna handle the KOR's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Paint Branch High School, for what it's worth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM |

My best friend is married to a girls who graduated from there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Flound - Springbrook. Class of '98. You?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM |

Richard Montgomery class of 89

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Being a lousy RB is bad news for Cartwright.

Posted by: edvar | September 25, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

No, he let me keep it.
Wait, there was more Remy?! I thought we crushed it on the walk? I remember tossing the bottle in the trash.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Paint Branch High School, for what it's worth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM

Did they have lights back in your day? You graduated in the 70s, right?

Flound - I never knew too much about Richard MOntgomery. I still don't know who he is? Prob some English dude like Montgomery Blair? I also never knew how close to Wheaton Plaza it was until after high school.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

damn. looks like Rock lost his swagger. What's next, Zorn urinating in Cartright's locker?

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like bad news for your "unnamed sources" at Redskins Park.

Aldridge signing changes nothing for Rock. He was never going to be getting snaps as a RB this season anyway.

And I agree with edvar, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Posted by: McMetal | September 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I did 4th, great deduction there. They actually had oil lamps and we had to park our horse and buggies in the back of the lot so the horses**t didn't get tracked into the school.

Of course, they let us burn textbooks for heat in the winter, so that was a postive.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

4th,

I went to the school, but never cared to find out who he was. It was a pretty rough school in my day, it's been cleaned up since.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Walt Whitman, class of 'back when he was still alive'. That's how f'n old I am. And I still haven't read Leaves of Grass.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 25, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

4th, Rock's gotta know that his days in D.C. are winding down fast.

If Rock had a decent season or two before Portis got here, then he would have be crying FOUL a long time ago.

He knows he has nothing substantive to point to from his body of work, really, what else can the dude say?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

wasn't kinda p.o.ed that the team kept Mason, is this a different don't let me go tune i hear???

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 25, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

F all you Marylanders.

VA and freakin' T.C. Williams beoytches.

Recognize.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"PFT has learned that Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn was caught urinating in kick returner Rock Cartwrights locker"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

And I still haven't read Leaves of Grass.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 25, 2009 4:22 PM

Yeah, well I have. Each page needed one of these on it:Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Geez No one went to Suitland high?

I know there has to be few that graduated from there over the years.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

It was just a 'tad' bit more left in my cup...Just a tad....I had a full cup initially, but I just couldn't down the rest w/o embarrissing myself...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, Red, I did relocate to Manassas after high school. So I've got the M and the V covered from the DMV.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

ESPN has the Lions/Skins game as the cover story on the NFL home page.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Kinda sad about Rock, he fumbled vs KC, Gibbs stuck him on the bench and he never got a chance to play a noteworthy role after that. RBs are not fine wines, they don;t get better at 30. So is Rock done witht he Skins? Looks that way, though it may take 'til 2010. Of course, Brian Mitchell was left for done and he did fine by playing up the road.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 25, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Rock can't really be too upset. Had a decent run in the league even though only really on teams. He lasted longer than a lot of backs that are as skilled but don't play special teams.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

3 backs roughly the same age, and two a lot younger... and less expensive...hmmm make room for a lineman???

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

z, rock is definetly done in 2010, if not sooner....

guys, lets keep this quiet from brownie, he ain't gonna be happy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Rock - this is your last year here. Youre a good guy and a "core" redskin who gives the effort, but you have rarely done anything on offense and you're AT BEST an average kick returner.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 25, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, the PFT sealed it. And after the pee?
Zorn: "I'm sorry, Rock, I forgot you were there. You may go now."

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey beantown..
Notice that Belicheat hasnt done so well since the implementation of the Defensive headsets.. Basically, signal stealing either done legally or illegally isnt possible anymore.

skinsneedagm, drinking at the cask'n flagon

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

F all you Marylanders.

VA and freakin' T.C. Williams beoytches.

Recognize.

Posted by: RedDMV
______________________

I recognize that anything on that side of the river is basically Appalachia ("you sure got a purty mouth", etc etc)

Bethesda Chevy Chase here, btw...

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

are kick returns down across the league this year (the whole no wege rule)??? anyone know?

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Manassas?

I was thinking about stopping by there this weekend for car shopping.

Need a new whip.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Geez No one went to Suitland high?

I know there has to be few that graduated from there over the years.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM

My Wife did.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

must be some who are out on "work release"..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Geez No one went to Suitland high?

I know there has to be few that graduated from there over the years.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 4:26 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 25, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Manassas... It's not like it used to be.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

They need to cut Mason....he ain't nothing but another clone of Portis and Betts...just taking up space on the roster for no reason at all!! I don't know what the hell Jim Zorn(or whomever is making that decision) is thinking!!! Stupid. Rock brings a whole lot more to this team than Mason ever will.

Posted by: frmi | September 25, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

There is a team out there that needs Mason more than we do.

And we need OL depth more than we need Mason given the RBs on the roster.

Depending on how it goes for Aldridge on Sunday, Mason's stay could depend on how quickly the FO can find an OL for the active roster.

Ahem, Jeremy Bridges? Did he suck in preseason or something? I thought he provided good depth.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 25, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Never mind Cardinals picked him up.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 25, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

no, Rex, Manassas is definetly not what it used to be - D.C. caught up with it.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

north hagerstown high school class 95...however married Churchill grad glass of 1999!!! i moved up in the world ahaha

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1 | September 25, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Springbrook '74

Rock is gone next year IMO. Big mistake, tho.

Posted by: skinssox01 | September 25, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Mason and Alridge are likely a waste of time. A distraction. If the line can't block, if they can't get out of the backfield. Putting Mason in looked like a waste of a play. Maybe if a whole opened up we'd see something. Rock is maybe an inch shorter but runs a lot lower to the ground. Harder to find and tougher to bring down. They considered him a fullback or a short yardage back in the past. Devin getting some game action on the kick return seems ok for a little experience and versatility. With that thought giving Mason and Alridge a couple of plays doesn't seem to bad but, even with a lead Detroit has put up more points than the Skins thus far. Though Alridge breaking 4.3 on the 40 could be tantalizing. Like a shot of roids (hope it doesn't shrink their testees.

Posted by: chavez66 | September 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

From the look of it, not for long.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

This coaching staff needs to grow some balls and play the 3 receivers we DRAFTED IN THE SECOND ROUND to play THE RED ZONE offense. Vinny drafted them they should play them to show that Vinny was right or Vinny was wrong. Lets do what the Giants did and Play the rooks and see what they got.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 26, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 25, 2009 4:32 PM
You know, I don't think ANYONE has tried to argue that Rock was up there with Riggo or Portis as a featured running back. But, you know, the only year he was asked to help carry the load was his second year, after Stephen Davis and before Clinton Portis. He shared the feature duty with Trung Candidate. He didn't make all pro, but he did average 3.8 yards a tote, and about 10 yards a catch, and he scored 4 TD's on about 107 carries. That's the only time he was ever asked to contribute significantly at RB, and he delivered. If anyone cares to take a look at his career average returning KOs, it is about 24 yards, right there with the top KO returners in the league during the same time span. He may not have been flashy, but you could ALWAYS count on him to give us good field position. And he's been a special teams standout. I can't remember him EVER making any waves on the team. I think everybody knows he's near the end of his Redskins career, but I sense this borderline hostility towards him that for the life of me I do not understand. I too am excited about the home run threat that Alridge brings, and the punch that Mason brings, but they aren't feature back material either. Trust me, if Portis were to go down, knock on wood, the much maligned Betts would step in and give us a good year like he did last time it happened. Maybe not pro-bowl, but not chopped liver, either. I've never seen so many people slam good solid back up players who were never expected to be and never pretended to be feature backs or even "change of pace" backs, but who did what was asked of them and did it well.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 26, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

the pride of washington dc Gonzaga College High School '99

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 26, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 25, 2009 4:32 PM

Do you seriously think Betts could step in and take over for Portis and have a good year? Do you think the same of Rock? Its not a question of if people don't like Rock. But a question of if he is producing and he hasn't. He and Betts are 30 years old. Neither has showed anything in like 3 plus years. CP is not having success because of the O-line. What makes you think Betts will be better? Be real. Its not about disliking Rock. Its about him not producing and not even getting carries. Last year we signed Shaun Alexander. Was Rock hurt? No. Put one and two together. They have both reached their celing. its time for some yonger guys to get a chance. We can't stunt our future groth for a 30 yr old player how has a even more reduced role on the team.

Posted by: luvdaskinz | September 26, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This issue is nonsense. Rock isn't going to be used for a RB anyway. That was determined last year. Signing AA doesn't change any of that. Jason is trying to create controversy where there is none. AA would only be a threat to Rock if he started returning KOs.

Posted by: skinfanman | September 26, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Springbrook....Go Great '68......Baabee!!

If Skins lose to Lions...IMO 4-12 Look out below. Bye Bye Zorn, Bye Bye J Cam. Another, start over. Oh my, how much more can we take!?!?!?

Posted by: jmeaicp | September 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

wtf is a "core redskin"...that term is so damn lame.

do you hear other NFL teams saying this guy is a "core steeler", "core patriot", "core packer", "core giant"

Please lose that garbage.

The redskins deserve every bit of criticism from the national media and whoever else until this team performs and wins.

The redskins are about as equal to the Browns, Rams, Lions, 49ers, and every other mediocre team in the last 10+ years.

I always root for the Skins but until they PROVE they are better on the field they are an AVERAGE to BELOW AVERAGE team.

PLain and Simple!

Win, Win, and Win some more to quiet the critics.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | September 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse