Amid the hubbub, Zorn says he tries to focus

With two games remaining in his Redskins experience, Coach Jim Zorn has tried to maintain his focus on the team. Judging by the apparent strain on Zorn's face during Tuesday's news conference, however, that has become increasingly difficult.

"I don't really want to have an answer for that specific question [about Gray's pursuit of Zorn's job] or my longevity-here questions. You know what I mean?" Zorn said. "I really believe that our staff's pretty, pretty together. I think it still is."

In text messages with a reporter after Monday night's debacle, two Redskins players suggested the coaching staff was distracted in preparations this week because of the news about secondary coach Jerry Gray. Word emerged Saturday that Gray recently had met with team officials about becoming the Redskins' next head coach.

At FedEx Field after the game Monday, Gray declined to comment about the Redskins' coaching situation. Gray has repeatedly told Zorn he did not interview for the job, according to the people familiar with the weekend's events.

"I feel pretty good about our staff and I feel like we're together," Zorn said. "I don't even know all the stuff that's going on on the side."

And Zorn does not want to know, he said.

"I try not to be an investigative reporter. I try to be the head football coach," Zorn said. "And be open with our staff and players about the important things that are going on as they pertain to the game, as they pertain to our preparation and the strategies, the schemes, the health of our players.

"That's really the focal point. That's what I'm called to do. Not to go and try to figure out all the extras. And there's so many things out there, I don't even know what's true and what's not."

By Jason Reid  |  December 22, 2009; 1:34 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carter says he'll play despite biceps tear (updated)
Next: Portis gives Shanahan a 'thumbs-up vote'

Comments

Can anyone figure out what the trick play to end the half was supposed to be?

Granted Hunter had no protection, so he had to throw it right away... but there were absolutely no Redskins near where he threw the ball...

Of the six or so guys who split out left, only two of them even moved. The others acted like they didn't know the ball was snapped...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd have no problem with Zorn not making it to the end of the season.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Whats true Stanley, is that you have two games left as coach, MAX.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If i'm Dan Snyder i call a presser and fire Jim Zorn today ...

Posted by: dargregmag | December 22, 2009 1:23 PM |

You can do that but what it does is undermine your newly hired GM who said he was going to take the rest of the season to evaluate tings before he makes any decises. The sat you get from whacking a dunder is not worth it.

Posted by: TLoad | December 22, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The two who went downfield were receivers. The rest were linemen who can't go downfield on a pass.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | December 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

So, in Zorn's press conference did anyone ask him if he called all of the plays?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 22, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought Fred was supposed to catch the ball in the endzone. He made a desperation run towards the ball.

Coughlin and his staff came up with a Defense for the play during the timeout. They assigned a man to each possible reciever, kept 3 athletes over the center to rush and/or contain the holder/kicker, and moved the rest wide with the Redskins beef.

To completely restate the uber obvious, there is no way you can run the same trick attempt once the TO has been called. I still am amazed he did it again. I didn't think he was THAT stupid.

If you are determined to run a fake, IMO you have to have no pre snap shifting... because wishes don't count Stanley, and THEY DID have a TO to call. If you kick the FG there, at least you can believably implore the team to pull their heads out of their azz and fight.

After that FG debacle, they will just look at you and dismissively move you out of the way on their way to take a pizz.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 22, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have video of the extra point we allegedly missed? Sure looked like it went in.

Fake FG is the front page of Yahoo right now. Sweet.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 22, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone figure out what the trick play to end the half was supposed to be?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 1:58 PM |

It is futile to try to make any sense of the play. Z wanted it to fail. It was his way of giving S the finger. He knows that S won't fire him until the end of the season because if he did, it would make A look bad.

Posted by: TLoad | December 22, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Zorn

Zorn now going Larry David..

I'm pretty, pretty, pretty positive you’re not only gone but will never be anything but a QB coach in this league.

And Blatche, I want the equivalent of Zorn on the D side to retire in 2 weeks and continue his self imposed gag order.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Once again TLoad, you have not been paying attention. Zorn thought it would work. He thought it would work the first time, he thought it would work the second time.

He IS that stupid, but give him credit for NOT being disingenuous.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 22, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I am a lifelong Skins fan, and this year, or for that matter Snyder's ownership can do nothing to change that. However this has got to be the worst I've ever seen.

The way Zorn was sporting that sh!t eating grin on his face during the post game(in regards to the trick play) made me really hate that guy. He has always been an incompetent playcaller, but geez......I could do better than that.

That in my opinion was him getting back at Snyder, fine....whatever. But that comes at the fans expense. I'm glad that my father and I didn't go to that game, it's an embarrasment.

As for Jason, that is not his fault. It seemed everytime the ball was snapped it was a jailbreak. They should have just tried some wildcat formation or something. Too little too late. Admittedly I wanted to give this staff a second chance at one point.NO MORE. F*CK U JIM ZORN----Go back to the other Washington and stick the remainder of your tiny manhood in a piping hot cup of Starbucks.

I have to say I'm all in for Shanahan coming with a new staff and starting from scratch. Get rid of all these losers. I really hope Bruce Allen starts handing out pinkslips fast and with frequency.

Bye bye to the following:
Everyone on the O-line
ARE
Santana
Cooley
Sellers
Rock
Carlos
Landry
Blache
Zorn
am I forgetting anyone?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinWillie | December 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Was Hunter supposed to throw it to Gano who was actually being the blockers? Why did he throw it 15 yards past the blockers? Whole thing makes zero sense...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Fake FG is the front page of Yahoo right now. Sweet.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 22, 2009 2:12 PM

This is the title of the Yahoo piece:

"The Redskins run the worst trick play anyone's ever seen"

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Gray interviewing for the job is joke (Rooney Rule compliance). IMO, you should not only be from another team, you should be a viable and legitimate candidate. This guy got passed over for the Memphis job. - Diesel44
------------------------------------------
Define viable and legitimate. Therein lies the rub.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 22, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Blache
Zorn
am I forgetting anyone?
========================================
yes...you forgot Portis, Tryon, Hall, Haynesworthless

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | December 22, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I was one of Zorn's supporters during the stretch of games where we didn't TOTALLY SUCK. Well that was then, after lastnights National embarrassment I'm sick of Zornball too. Absolutely no one on this team should feel safe about their jobs. Bruce Allen certainly has his work cut out for him. Good luck with that brother!

Posted by: VegasJim | December 22, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TLoad | December 22, 2009 2:13 PM

I still don't understand this. How does making yourself look like an idiotic moron on national TV "give S the finger"? If anything, it makes Snyder look good for seeking a replacement for this tool.

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye to the following:
Everyone on the O-line
ARE
Santana
Cooley
Sellers
Rock
Carlos
Landry
Blache
Zorn
am I forgetting anyone?
------------------------------------
How could you forget Portis?

Posted by: keithrjackson | December 22, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

how many times, and rightfully so did Mike Tirico call the team an embarrassment last night??

I mean, as the HC how is he not culpapble for the product that goes on the field??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Carryover from previous post...

If I was GM....

Look, it's not as bad as it looked last night... Anytime you get a team with nothing to play for & a team with everything to play for... it can get ugly... not to mention, with the current O-Line, the Giants may be the worst matchup for the 'Skins & Eli just kills Greg Blache Defense.

With that said... this is what I would do if I were Allen/Shanahan:

1. Tender Campbell & unless someone is willing to offer a 1st or high 2nd rounder... keep him... whether you like him or not, there are bigger needs on this team & unless you can get an extra pick... your not drafting QB in first round.

2. As someone on this blog has stated, search free agency for lineman that have either been coached by Alex Gibbs (line coach who was with Denver when Terrell Davis was tearing it up) or has experience in Shanahan/Kubiak's zone blocking schemes.

3. Find the best Free Safety available via free agency (shoulda never let Ryan Clark go)... good safeties can be found & their usually not too pricey... Laron Landry shouldn't have to cover anyone one on one unless it is the TE... he needs to be strong safety... If there is no cap, cutting him might be an option... not worth the pay, but is has he been given the opportunity to succeed?

4. Find a good cover OLB to take Orakpo's place... you can't allow him to get isolated like he did last night. Orakpo is DE or 5th rusher & shouldn't be in coverage unless it's underneath for a zone blitz.

5. Draft... we have picks 1,2,4,5,& 7... #3 is Jeremy Jarmon & #6 went to Miami for Taylor... IF we have solidified our tackles on the O-Line via FA then I would say go RB, OL, OL, then take best available with rest. If not, then we got to go OL, OL with our first 2 picks. Then maybe draft RB with our 4th pick... we need a playmaker with speed. IF we trade Campbell for say a high 2nd rounder, then you may have the luxury to go QB, OL, OL, RB.

If they can solidify the O-line, get the defensive players in their natural positions & add a RB... I'm telling you we could be the bounce back team in 2010. At least most of our issues are on offense which will make it easier for Shanahan to address... he is a much better offensive talent evaluator than defensive.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

regarding campbell haters from previous post

Believe me... the first half of this season I was the biggest Campbell hater you would want to meet... but how you gonna draft a QB #1, if you can't protect him?? I can think of quite a few teams that could use a QB who doesn't turn the ball over too much, has a strong arm, but just needs a little extra protection to make it through his reads. Did you all watch the Saints game, that is how Campbell can play with TIME!

Take this into consideration... Jason Campbell has been sacked 38 times this season & has a QB rating of 87.0. Jay Cutler has been sacked 31 times & has a QB rating of 71. Jay Cutler was sacked only 11 times last year & his QB rating under Shanahan was 86. How much better do you think Jason Campbell can be say we get it down to a sack a game?? come on, last night was an absolute jail break... how you supposed to look downfield when you know your RT & LT are dead meat!

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Everyone who wants to throw Cooley under the bus with the rest of the underachievers needs to turn in there Jerseys and slap a Dallas sticker on their car.

It's the most ignorant thing I've read and more embarrassing then last nights performance.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 22, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The loss last night surpassed the embarassment of losing to Detroit. The O-line was absolutely horrible. Despite the success of Vinny's picks, the O-line failure will be his legacy.

And please, I don't EVER want to see burgundy on burgundy uniforms ever again.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

As bad as the trick play was planned, it was even more poorly executed. Did you see how many players never even went downfield? There were about 8 Giants around 2 Skins downfield. Many of the ones who didn't go downfield were ineligible (so they couldn't). That's fine....so keep them in to BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would be interesting to know who designed that play. Zorn or the bubble gum wad chewing special teams coach. He's so horrible I can't even remember his name. He's the same guy who thinks that ARE is the best option at punt returner.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | December 22, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

it is 2:30 and no one has been fired, come on Dan give me something, how about the guy that sold you the yellow vest you wore last night, at least fire him

Posted by: connskins | December 22, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

at this point, an additional two losses will elevate the Redskin draft picks that much more.. plus, as bad an owner as Snyder has been, NOBODY can use the excuse that Zorn was on the cusp of building a winning team and deserves a year 3.

the worse we are, the more desirable this position becomes because nobody could expect Shanahan or anyone else to work miracles. Allen and his head coach will have carte blanche to make any and all changes they want, because it really cant get much worse.
we simply dont have enough talent to compete with any team that is decent and playing for a post season berth.

let's see who really wants to be here next year. the next two games should provide easy answers. start with the premise that nobody over 30 remains, and fill in the roster using whatever methods are available.

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Post of the Day.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jberry73

Why? The bloggas do it to every player that's done anything for this team.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn could not coach a little league flag game. He may be the worst coach the Redskins have ever had.
Synder is the worst owner, even Al Davis has had super bowl teams.

Posted by: jmy999 | December 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 22, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

This is what I want to know. It sure looked like he did, but maybe Stump had more say in the second half, there was at least one nicely designed run by Rock.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Monk81_Green28

As for the trick play, I think it was originally supposed to go to Yoder, who was lined up in the middle of the field alone and did a flare out to the right.

Hunter looked right first, and when Yoder was covered, he threw it up for grabs.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The fake FG may have been meant to draw all/most of the NY defense to the sideline so that Hunter the Punter/back-up QB could dump it off to Yoder who snapped the ball. The hope was that Yoder would essentially run a TE delay where Yoder chip blocks the rusher and then heads to the flat where the idea would be that there wouldn't be anybody covering him--This was easily figured out during the time-out. Should have kicked the field goal.

Posted by: BigE44 | December 22, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

That about sums up its effect on me. 180º from where I was last week.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 22, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________

I hated that call, gotta take the points... but I felt it would of had a much better chance had they thrown a screen pass to Davis & let all those blockers clear the way. You can't ask Hunter the Punter to throw a long pass like that with no blockers.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye to the following:
Everyone on the O-line
ARE
Santana
Cooley
Sellers
Rock
Carlos
Landry
Blache
Zorn
am I forgetting anyone?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 2:19 PM

Dockery probably will be back, maybe even Rabach, at least for a season. Heyer might be retained as a #3 tackle. Cooley, Rogers (tendered), and Landry stay.

Likely other goners include Campbell himself, Portis, Moss, ARE, Griffin ... maybe Betts and Smoot. Essentially, a purge of the vets. [Assuming Samuels and Randy Thomas are retiring.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 22, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

sorry, Tony, you lost me with your defense of Campbell.

he isnt the whole problem, but he is clearly a major part of the problem. he cant read a defense. he locks onto his primary receiver. he is slow and inaccurate delivering the ball. he is just good enough to get you beaten in the end. after 5 years in the league he is what he is, a backup

if you want a tiny window, just look at the two throws that Collins made in relief of Campbell. he had the same rush to deal with, but put several balls right on the money, including a TD pass that Davis dropped. that is the bare minimum you have to be able to do in the NFL.

i am NOT touting Collins as a starter. he has flaws as well, and he is clearly a career backup. but he has a few skills that Campbell isnt close to possessing.

it is time to move on. tender Campbell, get what we can for Campbell in trade. FIX THE OFFENSIVE LINE. but also draft the next Redskin starter. guys like Brady, Romo, Favre, Schaub, Henne, Warner, Hasselbeck,
and others prove you dont have to be a high first rounder to be a starter in the NFL

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think this game was perfectly orchestrated by the FO. Bring in new GM and let the players play themselves out of town. Forget all of these cut list the RI bloggas put up all day long. Watch the tape and cross off the names of players who tanked and start over with the ones with heart/pride.

Posted by: BigE44 | December 22, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 2:19 PM

Posted by: dcsween | December 22, 2009 2:40 PM

Both you guys seem to think (more or less) that all the Gibbs players will be leaving and that all the Cerrato boys will form the nucleus. Ironic.

I'm expecting more guys to come back than either of you is expecting. I think a new coaching staff can get better production out of some of these guys, or at least will think that it can.

Mostly, it will depend on whether there's a cap and how much movement there is in free agency.

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally

JC isn't even close to being the problem. The popular phrase for the JC haters is that he's inaccurate. Since when does completing 65% of your passes make you inaccurate? And to point to Collins one pass to make an argument is nuts. Should we make an arguement that Mason's 1 run qualifies him as an NFL starter?

There are plenty of holes on this team that need to be fixed before we look for the next "franchise" QB

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Well said and how ironic. I agree that a lot of the "Gibbs guys" will be back. Some will have another year or two.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 22, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 22, 2009 2:37 PM

Zorn said that the play calling was simialr to the last couple of weeks.

So 2 minute drills, (fake FGs), etc.

I'm calling B.S. I'd guess that Zorn called at least 50% of the plays last night.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Probable

TE Fred Davis (Active, signed for 2010)—It seems likely that any new coach will be happy to find a way to utilize both Davis and Chris Cooley at the tight end position. Davis has shown that his second-round draft status was warranted with 35 receptions for 369 yards and five touchdowns.

WR Malcolm Kelly (Active, signed for 2010)—Kelly shows signs of breaking out here and there, but he has yet to be consistently productive. Still, he has shown enough promise to be a part of the team’s 2010 plans.

WR Devin Thomas (Active, signed for 2010)—He is working towards becoming the complete package as a wide receiver. Thomas should be a starting wide receiver in 2010.

WR Marko Mitchell (Active, signed for 2010)—He was drafted as a project and he still is learning. Mitchell needs to improve his route running but, while he has been doing that, he has caught virtually every pass thrown in his direction. It’s hard to imagine any coach not being intrigued by the potential of a 6-4 receiver with speed.

TE Chris Cooley (Injured reserve, signed for 2010)—There is no reason to think that he won’t come back 100% healthy and become a favorite target for whoever is quarterbacking the team in 2010.

Posted by: TWISI | December 22, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I just flat out cant even read an article about the skins anymore. I mean, whats the point? We are so bad at every single thing, reading about it just re-enforces the misery. I am so disgusted with every facet of the entire organazation that it truely makes me sick. I am a real fan, whom enjoys talking or chatting about the skins, but i am so tired of this pathetic excuse for a professional sports franchise that I just i cant even post a insightful comment towards a player, or coach, or anything. I am just posting that we are a joke, and not a funny one. i am absolutly fed up with the entire organazation. I can not believe just how awful our team is. We are the laughing stock of the league, and in my 32 years of being a die hard skins fan, this is the worst i have ever seen it. Besides orakpo, is there anybody on the entire team that we are excited to build around? Perhaps davis, but once cooley and his contract get back what are we going to get from him? It just amazes me why we didnt do more two tight end sets when cooley was healthy. We had no recievers worthy of being a #2, our offensive line was a mess and certainly could have used two tight ends, and these are probably our two best offensive weapons. i moved to baltimore because i switched jobs, and hear it everyday from ravens fans. the fact these idiots have a better team than us makes me angrier in more ways than i can explian. If there is any other miserable fans that are organazing a revolt, count me in.

Posted by: terpskinzorioless | December 22, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

so WOW...that, the fake FG, was the low point of my fandom for this team. that was a big WTF a HUGE WTF moment. the announcers were just as shocked and critical. you don't see that very much.

i'll take shanny please! and no more blatche. but who else is out there?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 22, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

cont.

Questionable

RB Quinton Ganther (Active, exclusive rights free agent)—Ganther could line up as the team’s starting running back for the 2010 season opener, and he could be off of the roster then. You never really know what a new general manager and a new coaching staff are going to do with a back that the old regime picked up on waivers in midseason. The fact that Ganther has performed well, averaging 4.2 yards on 33 carries and posting two touchdowns, will help. He could go a long way towards solidifying his slot in 2010 with good performances in the last three games. The fact that he’s a solid special teams performer helps, too. The chances are he will get a shot at making the team in training camp.

RB Rock Cartwright (Active, signed for 2010)—Cartwright just turned 30 and he is due to be paid $1.5 million next year. The former seventh-round draft pick survived through three coaching regimes by doing whatever was asked of him. Given the salary, that may not be enough to get him into a fourth set of coaches.

QB Jason Campbell (Active, restricted free agent in 2010)—This will be the great drama of the 2010 offseason. It boils down to three realistic possibilities. Bruce Allen and the (presumably) new coach could decide that he can be good enough to win with, and sign him to a long-term contract. They could decide that there are no better options for the coming season and keep him on the one-year restricted free agent tender. Or they could decline to match another team’s contract offer and accept draft picks as compensation. At this point, anyone’s guess is as good as anyone else’s so that’s why he’s in the 50-50 category.

WR Santana Moss (Active, signed for 2010)—Moss isn’t as consistent as some would like, but when he’s productive, he’s a true weapon. There may be some slight vulnerability as his 2010 salary is scheduled to be $4.3 million, a good chunk of change for a receiver who will be 31 next summer. But the chances are good that he’ll be back.

FB Mike Sellers (Active, signed for 2010)—This is a tough one. The Redskins gave him a new contract early this season, and it seems that his play has slipped from the Pro Bowl level of 2008. His guaranteed money was “only” $1 million, so it not as though they have a lot invested in him. Sellers can be a beast when he’s on, however, and if there is a new coaching staff, they will have to decide if they can keep him motivated.

Posted by: TWISI | December 22, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

questionable cont.

WR Antwaan Randle El (Active, signed for 2010)—Part of Randle El’s value is supposed to be punt returning, but given his performance there this year, Albert Haynesworth has as much of a chance of lining up to return punts next year as Randle El does. While his 2010 salary is reasonable, if the new regime finds a receiver in the draft or in free agency, it would seem that Randle El is the most vulnerable.

QB Colt Brennan (Injured reserve, signed for 2010)—This will be his make or break year with the Redskins. His injured hip will be sufficiently healed by the time offseason workouts get underway, giving him a full offseason of work. He seemed to have difficulty getting down some of the fundamentals of the position under Jim Zorn. He will need to improve there if he wants a shot at the backup quarterback position in 2010 or an opportunity elsewhere.

Posted by: TWISI | December 22, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Did JC sleep with the girlfriend of every offensive linemen we have? Why did they want him to get killed last night?

To anyone that was at the game: Was the stadium as empty as it looked on TV?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@ terpskinzorioless

I feel your pain. Hang in there.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Doubtful

RB Clinton Portis (Injured reserve, signed for 2010)—During the press conference introducing Bruce Allen, Dan Snyder said, “It’s time for a change.” That statement applies to the running back position as well. He will be 29 when next season starts, but he will be an old 29, given that he has 2,176 career carries in eight NFL seasons. Portis has lost a step and he no longer has the burst-through-the-hole that made him a very effective back. Another concussion could end his career in an instant. The situation is complicated by the fact that a large chunk of Portis' 2010 salary of $7.2 million is guaranteed. One line of thought might be that as long as you’re paying him, you might as well keep him around. But the most likely scenario seems to be that the Redskins will eat the money and cut ties with Portis.

RB Ladell Betts (Injured reserve, signed for 2010)—Betts was playing well, subbing for the injured Portis, when he tore some knee ligaments in Dallas. He will be 31 when next season starts and, while his body doesn’t have the mileage on it that Portis’ does, over 30 is over 30. With Quinton Ganther showing that he can be an effective backup for a lot less money, Betts may be gone.

QB Richard Bartel (Active, exclusive rights free agent for 2010)—The Redskins picked him up last month and little is known about him. He may be given a shot to make it as the third quarterback or he may be shown the door.

RB Marcus Mason (Active, signed for 2010)—Mason runs the football pretty well, but a reserve running back has to do much more than that. When he was signed again in November, he spoke of having to take the job more seriously. He will need to do that and improve his blocking and special teams play if he wants to be around next year. If there is change at the top of the depth chart, his chances will improve greatly.

TE Todd Yoder (Active, unrestricted free agent in 2010)—While Yoder is everything you could want in a third tight end, at 32 next season there is a good chance that the new regime will look for someone younger at the position.

FB Eddie Williams (Injured reserve, signed for 2010) After spending most of the year on the practice squad, Williams spent three games on the 53-man roster before breaking his ankle in practice and winding up on IR. He should get a shot at making the team in camp, but he will essentially be starting from scratch.

Out

QB Todd Collins (active, signed for 2010)—Collins didn’t exactly dazzle in his first extended performance since leading the improbable playoff run in 2007. He completing just 43% of his passes and failed to rally the team in the second half of the loss to Kansas City. Given that he’s due $2.9 million next year, it seems very likely that the new guys in charge will go in a different direction for a backup quarterback in 2010.

Posted by: TWISI | December 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i HATE jc17. he sucks! he's a whiner. just look at what todd did. i'm not a fan of toddball either.

BUT

"Give me a name of a QB that's available that would be better than JC right now. This team needs to get an NFL caliber O-line first and then decide who will be the QB."

This above statement by whatshisface is on the money.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone figure out what the trick play to end the half was supposed to be?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

My bet is that the pass was supposed to go to Todd Yoder.

If you watch carefully, he stays in to "block" for Smith, but then breaks right toward the end zone. I guess they figure that all of the commotion on the left is just a big diversion.

Except that Yoder was covered and the pass rush got to Smith so fast that he decided to just heave up the pass toward the blob of guys.

Posted by: p1funk | December 22, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Synder is the worst owner, even Al Davis has had super bowl teams.

Posted by: jmy999 | December 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

nah I still think Spurrier is worse man i hated that guy. He was a jack ass. Zorn is a good guy just not a good coach.

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | December 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________

All these QB's that you mentioned didn't become good overnight either... Are you willing to wait 3 more years??

Of the QB's coming out... I think Clausen is the best, simply because he isn't damaged goods (Bradford) & he played in pro style offense, gonna cost you first rounder & lots of money... Let's say you don't draft a first rounder... You can't get a franchise QB in free agency... so now, you got 2 options... later in draft, only have 2nd or 4th rounder or trade, but you have so many pressing needs as a team that giving up any picks for 1 player would be detrimental to the team...

There are really only 2 choices well 3... tender Campbell & draft QB with 1st rounder... tender campbell & trade him then draft first rounder... or keep Campbell. I understand that there are some throws that Campbell seems afraid to make, but there is no guarantee the next guy is gonna be able to do it either.

Eli Manning is only as good as his protection, except when he plays the 'Skins... lol ... he is not that much better than Campbell but his line sure makes him look a lot better. I got a few friends who like the 49ers & they would take him yesterday.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

to dcwun

please dont twist what i said. i specifically said that Collins WASNT a starter. but he is able to put the ball where it supposed to be. how many times do we see Campbell throwing the ball to spots where the receiver has to twist, turn, stop or contort himself to try and make the catch ? plus, when nearly all his throws are 10 yards in length, i would expect a higher percentage of completions.

how many times does he complete throws of 20 yards or more ? but then, it is always someone else's fault- the O line, the receivers, the coaches, etc.. his apologists never tire of blaming someone else for Campbell's shortcomings.

he does have one thing going for him. on paper, he will be the best free agent QB available. he will make money next year because someone will bet he can start for their team. that should play to the Redskins advantage as well. tender him, and get something in exchange for him.

who do we get for next year and beyond ? that will be the job of Allen and his new Head Coach. but, at this point continuing with Campbell is just throwing more good money after bad..

time to move on and let Campbell be some other fanbase's problem

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Jery Jones got rid of Emmitt Smith. He was a great player for years, but once you hit that age....C-ya. Still the man in Dallas, but he had to go. Just like Portis, he is not what he used to be. I don't care if it's Shanahan's boy, or Danny's boy for that matter. Get these old farts off our roster ASAP. Draft young, nasty OL, and even get the best available FA OL next year. I just want to see us pound people next year.

Sooner or later the fans are going to rush the owners box, like the villagers to Frankenstein.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The decisions the Skins make about their personnel depend entirely on the cap situation.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 22, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How long do you suppose it would take Jason Campbell to learn a new offense?

Think he'll just pick it up in 8 games?

Or maybe you think we are gonna bring in a new HC and he's just gonna decide to run Zorn's playbook?

Frankly, I don't mind sucking for a couple years if it means we have a competent FO and HC building a new project from scratch.

Posted by: p1funk | December 22, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 22, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse
I hate sucking, but if it means having long term continuity and success then I'll take it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 22, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Either way whether JC stays or goes this is going to be a 5 year process..so stop saying you are going to the super bowl next year...stop it, just stop it, you aint even not gonna make it to the playoff next year...Dont no body is pickiing the skins to do no nothing next year...
No qb, no rb, no oline, no quality number one reciever, no defense, no nothing I tell you. Kiss ma' bumper, just kiss it!

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 22, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"It was good defense - that's what hurt that play," Zorn said. "I contemplated after [the Giants] called timeout just kicking the field goal, and the play was unique enough that I didn't think they saw what we were trying to do. They smelled it out quickly."

This is what bothers me about JZ. Its not that it was the wrong play to call, which it was, its not that he tried it once the giants called time out, and he lost the element of surprise, which they did, its that it was good defense....good defense....right...

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. "I should have kicked the FG, that is my fault"...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm of the opinion that the new regime should and will have a fire sale this off season, basically cutting ties with expensive vets and getting what they can for them. No one with more than 3 years experience should be safe.

It would suck seeing guys like Cooley, Fletcher, Rocky Mac and even Campbell go, but if we can fetch a couple of draft picks for them, then so be it.

Rebuilding is going to be difficult but it's what needs to be done.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 22, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone figure out what the trick play to end the half was supposed to be?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
My best bet is that Hunter was supposed to use the hidden "Eye of the Phoenix" amulet, would have changed him into a giant fiery bird and he would have traveled with the football across the goal line. Makes as much sense as what Zorn really had planned, I am sure.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 22, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 22, 2009 3:15 PM
Kind of like the last 10 years minus the rebuilding part.

Before anyone throws out a but..

Yes, I know Gibbs dragged this roster to the playoffs twice. Brilliant HC, avg GM.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 22, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I think we can be competitive in 3 but 5 is probably closer to reality for a super bowl contender.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 22, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00

Lots of free time, eh? Nothing like spending time trolling on another teams board.

A lot of nerve for a Dallas fan to be talkin smack.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 22, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

sorry tony, Campbell is going into year 6 of his NFL career, NONE of those guys took that long to develop.

as it stands, the Niners are going with Smith next year. Maybe they will give us one of their two first rounders for Campbell ? if so, i would do that deal in a heartbeat.

is Campbell the next Trent Green or Stan Humphries ? could be.. but i think it is far more likely that he is the next Shuler, Ramsey, Frerrotte, Rosenfels.

the cardinal sin that we, as Redskin fans make, is that we assume our players have a lot more value to the rest of the league than they actually do..How much was Campbell worth this past off season when they tried to peddle him ? we dont know for sure, but because he is still on the team, we DO know it was less than what we needed to get to make the deal. at for certain, he was worth less than Orton and possibly Brady Quinn

fix the O line for certain. tender Campbell, for certain. but stop wasting time hoping that Campbell will become a player who can win games for your team. he isnt now, and he wont be in the future. it is time to start developing the future at QB

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

time to move on and let Campbell be some other fanbase's problem

Posted by: shally

That's the WC offense. You throw shorter passes. His yards per completion is higher than half the league. That's not important though.

The facts are no QB can look good if you aren't protected. I'm not saying he's perfect, but to say that he's the problem with the team isn't true. How many QB's have come through here in the last 15 years? At some point continue to develop a QB that's improved every year as a starter instead of searching for the next QB bust.

Not trying to be a JC apologist either. Be realistic and look at what's protecting him.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"...Dont no body is pickiing the skins to do no nothing next year..."

Grade School's tough.....keep at it though...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

30 years ago, when I coached High School, I had the opposing coach try that play against us. I called a timeout and set up the defenders similar to what NY did. The other team came out in the same formation, but seeing we had defensed it, they shifted back to a regular formation. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, ( a new highlight for Football Follies) for Zorn to go forward with the play. It did cross my mind, that he was trying to get fired. He's made a few mil, so no matter how pissed he is, he shouldn't deliberately try to embarrass us fans.

Posted by: nomolehill | December 22, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

take advantage of the uncapped year and start dumping people. I mean, look at this team. Is anyone else tired of us just getting the hell beat out of us on national tv? do you know what its like to wear a redskins jersey in public these days? I had my $279 authentic portis jersey on last night at a bar by my house in baltimore and I would have gladly traded it for my $20 bar tab (2 draft night). there wasnt a person in the whole freakin town that wasnt laughing at me and pointing at the tv screens in disbelief. i just hope another one of tiger's mistresses comes out to clear my computer of all the stories about the redskins.

Posted by: terpskinzorioless | December 22, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"...Dont no body is pickiing the skins to do no nothing next year..."

Grade School's tough.....keep at it though...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 3:28 PM

What would you expect from a Cowboys fan?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally

Dude, you are reaching. This is Campbell's 3rd year as a starter. And there is a certain MVP candidate that DID take a while to develop, Drew Brees.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

...he is not that much better than Campbell but his line sure makes him look a lot better. I got a few friends who like the 49ers & they would take him yesterday.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The folks in Carolina, Buffalo, Oakland, Jax, St Louis, Arizona (Warner done?), and possibly Miami (Henne longterm?) would love to take him, too.

Redskins may be able to win with JC. NOBODY can win w/ Redskins current offensive line and lack of RB threat. Keep JC, fix the line and RB situation, and then decide in 2011 what you are gonna do at QB. Redskins are not 1 or 2 guys away.

I would love to see what Colt can do under Shanahan as well. He is the wild card at QB right now. The point is that you shouldn't go get a "Franchise" QB early unless you plan to massively upgrade the line via free agency, and that seems silly given the overall status of the team.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

So if a kid doesnt matriculate from First to Second grade is the Teacher's fault?

Fickle fans. There is no SB for you either ok...

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Easy answer, because he IS an idiotic moron. He's not smart enough to realize how bad it actually made him look.

Posted by: HTTR | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 22, 2009 3:22 PM

So, Zorn called a play that only works against a bad defense? That's shrewd. It probably worked really well in practice against his own defense.

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I know least about football, but I agree, let campell go, it will be better for him and for us. the only thing is that we need someone to start next season, and usually FA qb's cannot win game for you. we need to win, we are hungry. then I think keep him for another year and then let him go, he could not be worth than any FA vet qb.

Posted by: Skins2 | December 22, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The young man, Jason Campbell, simply had a bad game.

Don't read too much into this loss.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 22, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM

Good question! What did your parents say when you got held back?

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

the Ravens had the courage to look for a new QB after spending a first rounder on Boller.

good franchises do that. you build around a guy who can get you over the hump. you cut your losses if he cant. that is what Allen/Shanahan?? will be paid royally to do.

if they keep Campbell and build around him, we will all live with that. but, if i am betting now, i dont think that will happen.
why ?? because, like Ramsey before him, Campbell cannot read a defense to save his life. that has nothing to do with how many coordinators he has had. on top of that, he is slow to get the ball out, and has no feel for the pocket. these are flaws he has despite 5 years of coaching at the NFL level.

for so many years, many of us have said we were willing to settle for a "caretaker" qb, or someone who simply wont lose games for us..Rubbish !! time to have someone who can run a 2 minute drill and beat other teams in crunch time. you think Campbell is that guy, I dont.. in the end, there are only 2 votes that count. let's see what they do..

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

That all sounds good but can most take 3 years of A$$ whippins similar to this year? I'm not too sure.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Great news, yahoo has the skins "trick" play on it's front page.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 22, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I know least about football, but I agree, let campell go, it will be better for him and for us. the only thing is that we need someone to start next season, and usually FA qb's cannot win game for you. we need to win, we are hungry. then I think keep him for another year and then let him go, he could not be worst than any FA vet qb.

Posted by: Skins2 | December 22, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

embarrassing, really, really, really embarrassed to like a team that pays more than other teams for the players, yet cannot find a coach.

Posted by: Skins2 | December 22, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

so now, the first two years that Campbell was in the league is a 2 year mulligan ? the presumption was that he was learning during that time.. looks like Aaron Rodgers put that time to good use.. and he has been pounded more than Campbell, if that is possible. the difference is that he makes plays, Campbell doesnt..

sorry, i cannot tell you who should be the Redskin starter next year. i CAN agree with you that the Offensive line needs to be fixed. i will tell you that subjecting the fan base to another year of Campbell trying to learn yet another offensive scheme simply wont work..

time to close the books on Campbell and move on..

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Stop blaming Zorn. Does he wears a helmet on Sundays? What is his jersey number? Does he throws any passes? Kick the ball? No, no, no, no...Why is all this his fault?"

Zorn calls the plays (his playbook, and obviously he has not been completely stripped of playcalling - see fake FG debacle). Zorn is the "leader" of the team (do you really think anyone on this team is drinking Mr. Medium's kool-aid right now?) Zorn is...never mind, I'm exhausted of thinking about all the ways that corny Zorny is the root to the Redskins spiral downward.

Posted by: HTTR | December 22, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

time to close the books on Campbell and move on..

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:43 PM

Too easy to say he must go and not offer a solution. What's your solution, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 22, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Me thinks there are too many sows ears on this team.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 22, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally

Again, look what Rodgers has and look at the Skins. Its not even close. Also, look at the top 10 QBs in the league and see how many systems they've been in. For most, it would be 1 and for all it would be the same system for at least 4 years. That's not a coincidence and there is something to be said for that.

That's why I am open to Rat Shanahan coming in because he'll have the respect and time to make a difference and provide something close to stability for this franchise. JC will be here next year. Is he the long term solution? We'll see in 2 years.

Posted by: dcwun | December 22, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The Falcons were at rock-bottom not very long ago. They quickly became competitive again. Allen has to be both good and lucky with his personnel decisions for a quick Redskin turn-around. But people shouldn't hate on Zorn. He did his best with what he had to work with - including his own limitations. I'd rate him slightly above Spurrier in terms of competence. I can't wait for the off-season to begin.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 22, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn is really trying to look out for the best interest of the Redskins and playing for the best draftpick next year. If he starts punting on 3rd downs we'll know he's just trying to do his best to help out Shanny next year. Wow, he sure is a nice guy.

Posted by: HTTR | December 22, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 22, 2009 3:47 PM

It's even worse that you think. Some of them sows ears are sows rears.

Posted by: League-Source | December 22, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:38 PM |
---------------------------

He's not going to be here for 2010.

I'm not sure where he'll be, but he won't be starting either. He's shown in too many nationally televised games that he can't read and release fast enough to be a serious threat at QB in the NFL.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 22, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Fickle fans. There is no SB for you either ok...

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 22, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________

LOL... come on MAN! Did you see that call at halftime?? he had a chance to give his team confidence & knowing they got the ball in the second half with a chance to make the game 24-10... YOU TAKE THE POINTS!!! Worst call of his entire coaching career... almost like he did it on purpose cause he could... there is no excuse for that, especially after you did it to the G-men the first game of the season... You don't think they came a little more prepared on special teams... that is just a stubborn guy who wouldn't adapt & that is why he is going to lose his job. From the time they were 6-2 last season he hasn't made any adjustments.

That's why Gibbs ver 1.0 was genius... He & his staff made in-game adjustments that were rediculous. They couldn't run the ball a lick in Superbowl vs Denver... he called over the O-line & told them, guys were switching to zone blocking scheme & the rest is history... One game wonder Timmy Smith still holds the Superbowl record with 204 yards in a game.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

True, we cannot blame everything on Zorn. but you cannot ignore the fact that it is time for him to go. he did his best, i think. to make things better this time, there should not be any crazy firing, like before. also, I believe that it is time Snyder give an interview and apologize to everything he did, coaches he fired, etc. then we will know for sure that he is serious about this team and not the money that he makes from this team.

I am worried about the playoffs, what if the cowpies make it? what if?

Posted by: Skins2 | December 22, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

After sitting on my frozen ass in my bone chilling $2700/year club level seat last night at Fedex, I cannot remember the last time a high school team took the field disguised as an NFL team and a high school football coach playing the part of an NFL coach. Please Bruce Allen, set us back on the right track with class, professionalism, and a will to win as a team. Stop exorbitant salaries and selecting me first players. Do it with team guys, guys with character, guys who want to play for the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 22, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is what he is... This year, 80 per cent of his completions have been under 10 yards.. Great for padding stats but not for moving the ball.. Look what Collins did when he only touched the ball 4 times.. A drop by Davis for a sure TD and a 47 yard completion to Moss (IN THE AIR, NOT YAC). AND THIS WAS WITH THE SAME PRESSURE AND OLINE THAT JC HAD.

Jason continues to be 211th out of 214 QBs in the HISTORY of the NFL in regards to TD passing efficiency in the Red Zone.

WAke up Skins... You've wasted 4 years of perennial great Defenses while trying to develop a backup QB. How many more years are the fans going to watch a QB that panics when he is behind.. Forgets his progressions reads once.. and then overthrows or underthrows wide open receivers. His picks last night were better throws to the Giants defenders than his completions. And there was no pressure on him at all when he threw those interceptions..(look at the replays). Even the commentators said they were gift interceptions.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 22, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Assistant GM Portis approves of Shanny.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 22, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 22, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Todd did that in KC too on his first drive then the defense adjusted. What did he do after that? O yeah, nothing. Todd can't throw to the sidelines. All he can do is float the ball over the middle. He lacks the arm strength to do anything else.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 22, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

to diesel

tender Campbell. trade him for what we can get for him. he should fetch at least a second rounder.

with a first rounder and two second rounders take 2 offensive linemen and 1 QB. the Offensive linemen will need to be good enough to start from the beginning. that is what you pay your scouts for..

with the remainder of the draft take a RB, LB and special teams players

gut the roster. trade ANYONE over 30 who has value for draft picks. use them for reserves or special teams players. dump players and salary in the uncapped year.
get younger and hungrier overnight.

find among the free agents the next Jason Brown(s). a young player(s) who is stuck behind a high paid veteran, but who can become a solid Offensive line starter.

find a steady hand to play FS.. look what sharper brought to the Saints this year ?

QB ? find a veteran who can give us 1 year of decent play while the draft pick develops.
Charlie Batch ? Sage Rosenfels ? Chad Pennington ? The O line will be better because of the infusion of talent, and by the latter half of the year guys like Thomas, Kelly, Davis, Mitchell will be making plays consistently.

use the 2011 draft to fill in the missing pieces...

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________

Aaron Rodgers is an elite QB... I would take him over Tom Brady today... Brady simply is great because he has been in a system for a long time & that team's personnel is way better than 'skins.

Posted by: tony325 | December 22, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

and, yet, werent Campbell and Rodgers taken back to back in the same draft ??
glad Gibbs had the foresight to see that one...

Posted by: shally | December 22, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Campbell deserves PLENTY of blame. That screen pass throw that the giants returned for a touchdown was pathetic. But think about it... I could single out almost any player on the team. This whole year has been a trainwreck. When you look at replays of a lot of his interceptions you can see that it is rare that we have someone getting any sort of seperation. Couple that with watching mike williams completly miss people, watching the WORST offensive tackle in league Stephon Heyer, (thats coming from a terps grad) and getting on just campbell is ignoring that this whole freakin team just does not work period. Dont get me wrong, I want campbell out of here but im not singling him out. These are massive problems our team and organazation have, and im not going to be in denial anymore about it.

Posted by: terpskinzorioless | December 22, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Been reading a bit about the debacle last night. I was really trying to figure out the logic of that bizarre play. Found a post from a guy who says he's been in football all his life and is familiar with it. Here's how he breaks it down.

actually the "play" is a perfectly designed play, its almost unstoppable... its called the muddle huddle. this play has been around for years, anyone who truly knows football, knows there are trick plays that r universal, like the statue of liberty play, the golden goose play, and hook n ladder to name a few. the play was designed well, and the play would have worked except for 3 miscues by the skins. #1 the play worked is designed to cause match up problems and confusion, which it did hence NY's time out...now mistake number 1, they should have snapped the ball instantly (before the time out) every1 knows for a trick play to work the D must be caught off gaurd. Giants coach made a great play by calling the time out. mistake #2...after the time out and they re-ran the play, it still would have worked buuuut... the kicker (in this play he acts as the QB) sent the decoy kicker in motion, this mistake is disatrous because the play is designed for the defense not to know if ur passing running or kicking. sending the decoy kicker in motion eliminates the threat of the kick therefore changing the dynamics of the play. ie... the d line pins its ears back and rushes the QB, the d backs drop back and get the pic. Mistake #3...the ball was thrown deep, the deep guy is another decoy, never intended to get the ball, if u look at the replay he never even went for the ball cuz like i said, he is only a decoy, the play is designed to have a pump fake to the deep threat and throw the sideline screen, to the back who is standing behind 5 o line blockers blockin cornerbacks and safeties (advantage offense). ... continued next ....

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 22, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

the rest of that guy's post to come... WP not letting me post more for a few...

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 22, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

the kicker (QB) threw the ball deep in desperation, cuz he had no time to pump fake, he had no time because he sent the decoy kicker towards the sideline...leaving the d line with nothing to guess about, just go get the ball. these 3 mistakes is why we arent kissing Zorn's ass right now. heres how the play posed to work...o line shifts to sideline, kicker stays, RB stays, and center stays, plus decoy kicker. if the d line doesnt rush, they fall back then u go ahead and kick the ball, u only need a center a holder and a kicker to do this, if the d line rushes hard, then u throw the middle screen right behind the d line and ur basically running a blockin drill with ur center and ur tail back vs the middle linebacker...if neither of those areopen, u pump fake the fade route throw the sideline screen, and like i said u got all ur hogs running free to clean up DB's. IM not pretending to be a football guru but i have been playing all my life, from pop warner to proffessional (AFL), and to be honest i had never heard of or seen the play till my senior year in high school we ran it. the play is so sensitive we couldnt even run it if we had a sub in....its a play that gets practiced at the end of practices during special teams drills!!! no way that play would work with a kicker who has only been there for 2 weeks and ur starters are out. the play is that sensitive, but also that unstopable...in essence it is a glorified screen pass, best used for short yardage or extra points, but like all screen plays they have the chance of being broken for a long gain. if skins would have run it right, its a very safe play before the half, and is also a momentum builder....i included a link that show a variation of the muddle huddle, yall lemme know what yall think of the play, when u see how it works...this is a variation of it tho, (no fake kick added) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38xJCrbjgcY

Posted by: fan-o-matic | December 22, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

yeah, fan-o-matic, that looks like an unstoppable play, more nfl teams should run it - how old were those kids?

Posted by: coparker5 | December 22, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is talking about Shanahan like he needs to join this Ringling Brothers show..trust me - that guy is making $8 or whatever sitting at home...he is going to go where he has a chance to win right away -- I can think of two teams in Texas: Dallas and Houston!

Bruce "Macaca Your Bacaca" Allen is absolutely unproven -- Al "Skeletor" Davis ran the show in Oakland, so no credit to him on that on personnel..and the one chance he had to build anything in TB was a bunch of crapola picks. We should be glad we have Morroco Brown on our staff - he is a solid personnel guy. Maybe Allen can add another one like him, possible give up his GM title to someone equally solid like a DeCosta from Baltimore or Polian, Jr. from Indy. Be the EVP and let the talent evaluators evaluate.

But alas, just remember: how things have been is how things will be. People don't change, certainly not the types with a Napoleanic Complex who fly around in private jets.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 23, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | December 23, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU, you ma'am are the only person with a little sense and knowledge here.

I second your comment.