Analysis: Now what, for Zorn and Redskins?

It's difficult to say how much will change in terms of the Washington Redskins' mood or on-field performance following Vinny Cerrato's announcement on his radio show that Jim Zorn would remain the team's head coach for the rest of the season.

Tired of reporters' questions about Zorn's job status after every loss, players privately for weeks have said they hoped management would publicly endorse Zorn for at least the remainder of the season.

Cerrato, the team's executive vice president of football operations, didn't do that in an Oct. 6 conference call announcing the hiring of offensive consultant Sherman Lewis, who has since been handed the play-calling duties that once belonged to Zorn. But with fans outraged about the team's disappointing 2-4 start, the Redskins having become the butt of jokes nationally, and people (including NFL Hall of Famer and former congressman Steve Largent, one of Zorn's closest friends) speaking out on Zorn's behalf, owner Daniel Snyder faced the biggest crisis of his 10-plus seasons as owner. Something simply had to be done in an attempt to defuse the volatile situation, and Cerrato removed Zorn from the hot seat for the final 10 games.

The announcement occurred in advance of Monday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field, and while it seems things should be easier for Zorn moving forward, that might not be the case. Largent made it clear -- first in a radio interview Wednesday and later that same day with The Post -- that Snyder had issued Zorn an ultimatum to either give up play-calling duties or be fired, and multiple people familiar with Zorn's conversations agree with Largent's version of events. Moreover, Largent said it's his view, not Zorn's, that Snyder hoped Zorn would simply quit, which would get the team off the hook for the remaining $4 million or so he owes Zorn.

Some in the organization hoped Snyder would have just fired Zorn, so everyone could begin to move on. The feeling among some in the organization is that there's nothing Zorn could do to persuade Snyder to give him a third year as coach, league sources said, so the Redskins will play out the string with a coach who has been stripped of much of his authority.

The discomfort for Zorn, his assistants and the players, however, won't end. The speculation about the future among media and fans won't diminish because the behind-the-scenes work to hire a successor for Zorn -- and possibly for Cerrato -- likely will continue.

Meantime, Zorn must try to maintain appearances because he can't risk saying or doing anything that could be considered cause for firing. So long as he's not fired for any reason other than performance, Zorn is guaranteed to be paid his salary for the rest of this season and next season.

Zorn's assistants must be careful, as well, because the rest of the league is watching how they respond to the chaos in Ashburn. Those guys have to treat every day as an interview for a job elsewhere next season, so it's all about focusing on their tasks despite what's occurring around them.

For veteran players, it's just about getting through this mess. I've been told many of them are approaching this wisely, deciding not to risk their health for a season that, essentially, would be over if the Redskins lose to the Eagles on Monday night. There likely will be no Herculean efforts to return from injuries because, well, what would be the point? And as far as the performance on the field is concerned, the Redskins' offensive line is one of the weakest in the league, a longtime executive on another NFL recently told me. As good as the defense is, the Redskins can't overcome the poor offensive line, the official said.

So despite today's big announcement, the Redskins likely will continue to be what they have been thus far this season, which raises the question: Is Zorn really better off now?

By Jason Reid  |  October 23, 2009; 11:41 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith: Play-calling system 'not that complicated'
Next: Ganther reunited with mentor from Tennessee

Comments

I thought from the title that this would be a poll... now what?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 23, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought from the title that this would be a poll... now what?

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Glad this is NOT a poll...so sick of all the polls - which are usually just a repeat of the same thing.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Devin Thomas is ready for that breakout game. I believe Sherm Lewis will spread the ball around more and Devin Thomas could be a beneficiary of the whole Sherm Lewis thing.

Posted by REDSKINHEAD

It should work, You have a playcaller who doesn’t know the plays sending in passes to a QB who can’t hit a receiver throwing to a WR who doesn’t know the pass routes. I see NOTHING but success.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"For veteran players, it's just about getting through this mess. I've been told many of them are approaching this wisely, deciding not to risk their health for a season that, essentially, would be over if the Redskins lose to the Eagles on Monday night"

Wow...so guys are gonna dog it...nice, get them on the first bus outta town...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 23, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"And as far as the performance on the field is concerned, the Redskins' offensive line is one of the weakest in the league, a longtime executive on another NFL team recently told me."

- Jason Reid

-------------

Ermmmm,

and I'm a tellin' ya somethin'

that executive, he's right.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

hithere1 - I would fire Vinny, but not until after the season. Until then....Vinny is doing what needs to be done to save Vinny. Which entails the offense improving dramatically.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, I know you're a ravenous consumer of NFL reportage... any plans to dial back your consumption over the next few days, now that the Skins-as-laughingstock meme has become fodder for the national outlets as well as the locals? Or are you just going to grin and bear it?

I guess what I'm saying is, it's a long time from now 'til Monday night, and I hope you don't drive yourself crazy before then :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

----RI, The Mayor

Oh come on, how can that be? They drafted Peppermint Rhino, brought in Jenny Craig and that Bridges guy. And they just signed that guy who played for Cincy during their golden years. It's all good.

Posted by: TheCork | October 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

gbay..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I guess it is business as usual for Clinton Portis, then.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Has Sherm Lewis ever considered the value of punting on first down and leaving the game totally in your defense's hands?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by REDSKINHEAD

I thought he looked on a couple of catches in the Carolina? game. I know he missed one that he should've had. He's more dynamic than Kelly anyway.

Posted by: skinswest | October 23, 2009 11:53 AM

Posted by: skinswest | October 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Nate, as I mentioned on the previous thread, I am cutting back! I was so looking forward to this season and all the NFL related (and Skins related) television shows that I love. But, I can't take it anymore! Just too painful. We are now the laughingstock of the NFL and the media nationwide. If I even hear Redskins mentioned, I change the channel.

Recently started watching HGTV - it's less stressful. And I may take up knitting.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------------

We have a intra-office Bowl every year in November, and no one can block.

Even when I told them to, 'grab a handful of man titty and push', they couldn't quite understand the concept.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Is Zorn really better off now?

------------

Jim Zen should sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nothing he does, positive or negative, will mean anything as far as his job security in Washington, because he's running on a deficit there.

I have noticed, however, that his hair on game days is laying flat. I'd like to see him wild out and bring back the spikey.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM

Green Bay.
St. Louis.
Oakland.
Carolina.
Tampa Bay.
Seattle.

Must I keep going. JReid continues to carry the fib...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If that doesn't say 2-14 I don't know what does. Preserve your health this season is not worth getting hurt over.

Posted by: skinswest | October 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"I've been told many of them are approaching this wisely, deciding not to risk their health for a season that, essentially, would be over if the Redskins lose to the Eagles on Monday night."

Who told you this? We need names..."sources."

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

What's been the most difficult thing about this season, Mike?

Mike Sellers: "You reporters."

He's right, isn't he 4th? If only it wasn't for "you reporters," they'd be 5-1, and clicking on all cylinders.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hard to imagine that guys would dog it out there. I hope thats not the case

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

I guess playing with a torn bicep muscle is a common day occurrence. From my perspective, I don't think the players "will dog" it unless the risk further injury by playing. These guys are professional athletes and have handle this situation well contrary to the schulb athlete J Reid is making them out to be in his above implication.

Posted by: TWISI | October 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM

Green Bay.
St. Louis.
Oakland.
Carolina.
Tampa Bay.
Seattle.

Must I keep going. JReid continues to carry the fib...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can say all these teams have worse o-lines.

The Redskins O-line is in the bottom 10 in the league and probably the bottom 5.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I dont think that Sellers was saying it was the reporters that were making them play badly. I think he was saying that was the worst part about where they were.

Much like Julius Caesar, he shopuld have seen it coming

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

To make things easier for Sherm Lewis they've put all the plays on ping pong balls.

Posted by: skinfanman | October 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Like I said before. With this same OLine, we would be 4-2 if the In Game Management was professional. But it is not.

Posted by: 4thFloor

I agree with this statement. The problem would really have arisen when we started playing better teams during second half of season. Then the line would have been shown to be a fraud. The earlier then expected fraudness that became apparent while playing NFL JV teams was on Zorn & Co.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What's been the most difficult thing about this season, Mike?

Mike Sellers: "Falling down as the lead blocker at the end of a long run by my running back, preventing us from scoring six points."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Things needed for the Skins to Succeed:
1) Five Army Brigades to protect JC
2) Five Reconnaissance units to help JC find his receivers
3) A football guided system to help JC find his targets.
Anything short of that is a waste of a hall-of-fame QB's career.

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:06 PM

(Pulling out my inner Greg)

Show me where you pulled that from? And where those said teams compare?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa."

-by Mike Sellers

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Put your "Greg" back in your pants, 4th, please.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If you defend this o-line you are insane. Heyer wouldn't start for an SEC team....c'mon.

Here are the Redskins problems, listed in no particular order:

Not enough talent on roster

Not enough talent in coaching

Not enough talent in FO

Horrible Owner

Suspect training/conditioning staff

That my friends is tough to overcome.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:06 PM

(Pulling out my inner Greg)

Show me where you pulled that from? And where those said teams compare?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you prove that your list of lines is actually worse than the Redskins.

And before you begin to ramble off their stats compared to the redskins, remember that the Redskins have played some terrible defensive teams this year.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

4th, I think you and Mr.Str8 are actually agreeing to agree.

You mentioned 7 teams with OLines worse than the Skins [and, pulling out my inner Greg too...show me where you pulled that from].
Mr.Str8 said they're "bottom 10," probably "bottom 5."
You're both in the same ballpark, at the same concession stand, arguing about the same thing, coming to the same conclusion, but too bamafied to see it.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:06 PM

(Pulling out my inner Greg)

Show me where you pulled that from? And where those said teams compare?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

"I guarantee dat dey probably the worst in the league. Dey almost as bad as Oakland, and Oakland have never had success on the line since da SuperBowl." - Emmit Smith

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

4th, I think you and Mr.Str8 are actually agreeing to agree.

Mr.Str8 said they're "bottom 10," probably "bottom 5."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 23, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough 4-12, fair enough.

I was only arguing because he said that he could name more teams that the Redskins o-line is better than, so I assumed he though they were about middle of the league talent wise.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

My posse at the sports bar every sunday would chant the "The Season starts now" after every sorta good play (like a pass interference call that would give our O a first down...)in kind of a false hope but maybe type deal...

My new motto: The OFFseason starts now!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If you defend this o-line you are insane.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 23, 2009 12:13 PM

----------

4th?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying the line hasn't been bad. They have. But not unmanagebly bad. And that's where we've failed.

The Coarches are literally doing NOTHING to help make up for the porblems they KNOW have been there since training camp.

It's like beating a dead horse at this point, really.

MattSound - you're crackin' me up! Sign Leigh Torrence AT ALL COST! hahahahah.

Nate - cookies will make the meal! (mebbe a little Breyer's MCC to go with!)

And Lisa, the question is will you be knitting Redskins XMas stockings?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'll concede the 'Power Ranking' of the OLine. But, come on. The OLine still isn't the main reason.

Zorn, out of his own mouth on Redskins NAtion, said the OLine played well enough this past Sunday. He also said, out of his own mouth that Jason Campbell missed some opportunities for big plays. Like that TD throw to Santana that never was. Go back to that play, Campbell wasn't in any trouble.

4-12, I have left the Media alone for over a week (save for my jokes). I've only been calling them out on how they frame perception to others. So, it may be time to drop it.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM

Green Bay.
St. Louis.
Oakland.
Carolina.
Tampa Bay.
Seattle.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 11:58 AM

Actually, it could be the Eagles.

Posted by: skinfanman | October 23, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Things needed for the Skins to Succeed:
1) Five Army Brigades to protect JC
2) Five Reconnaissance units to help JC find his receivers
3) A football guided system to help JC find his targets.
Anything short of that is a waste of a hall-of-fame QB's career.

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it's Todd Collins!! How are you doing Todd?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 23, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

There are still problems that can't be fixed this year. Even if this play calling experiment helps, it's only one of many issues.

Still have the worst offensive line in the league and Jason Campbell is still going to miss wide open receivers.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | October 23, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We are 20th run blocking and 25th pass blocking

These guys are pretty accurate but they only have so much to go on. A crappy line with an elusive QB won't have as many sacks. A QB that stays in the pocket and gets hit will have more. It's not perfect but this really is a subjective debate anyway.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Murder's Row:

11/8 @ Falcons

11/15 VS Broncos

11/22 @ Cowboys

11/29 @ Eagles

12/6 VS Saints

Right now, the saints and broncos are two of the better teams in the league.

No matter how we feel about the iggles and cowpokes, they can score and we can't.

And the falcons, they just make me jealous.

But with the falcons lies the fact that the franchise rebounded from the mess of Petrino and Vick, found Matty Ice, and now is emerging as the real deal.

Perhaps shedding the redskin team of a lot of older players/bad contracts and starting over is the only way out of our mess.

I'll take a couple of 3-13 seasons to get some draft picks--after all, we''re gonna get one this year whether we want one or not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

But not unmanagebly bad.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2009 12:19 PM

----------

Here ya go, Jim Zorn:

We got yo this bad O-Line, now manage it, and hey, whatever happens, it's your fault, so relax buddy.

We got the knife, but we ain't got your back.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Steve Largent channeled his inner Chia Pet.

The man sprouts the truth.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Its really simple. It seems most fans and people around the league know the answer and hopefully Mr. Snyder will end his denial; while Vinny is a friend he is the problem and has to go! Zorn is absolutely fine. Bring in Dungy for Vinny's spot and name him GM and let him handle the personell decisions with Zorn and coach Zorn on coaching and he can coach Snyder also, and listen to Snyders opinions as he goes but have the say up to he and Zorn. They are the coaches, so let them coach with the talent they want, dont give them what you think will work with your idea/ vision and expect someone else to execute your vision for the team and then you take no accountability. So far the coaching job for this team isnt really for a coach. Read the fineprint, its scapegoat. Appreciate Snyder but disgusted with him, pretty darn freakin tired of Vinney and his exit, not trial period, but exit is the answer, and I feel bad sorta for the 8 or so coaches that have been here in the last 10 or so yrs. that Mr. Snyder has owned them. Love you Redskins...just go out and have fun man, thats about all you can do right now, HAil!!!!!!!!!!!Skins Fan for Life (but puttin an freeze on buying redskin stuff for a while.)

Posted by: ebbline | October 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | October 23, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Danny is a phukin' degenerate a$$phuk. I can't believe what he's turned this team into. It's embarrasing. Any other discussion is almost pointless.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, Ron Jaworski was on 980 this morning and he said our problem is not the coaching, it's the execution. Jaworski said he has watched every play of all of our games and that is his conclusion.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

On the Mike Wise show a comment was made that the out of box hiring of Jim Zorn was all Vinny Cerrato's call. It wasn't said point blank but highly inferred that the hiring of Zorn was Vinny's baby.

My fellow bloggers, if that is true, then Danny Synder is taking unfair heat as the owner for his GM.

Danny Synder is being lambasted for not getting out of the way and to let his GM make the football decisions.

But, if Danny actually allowed Vinny to make the call on Zorn, isn't that precisely what he should have done as the owner.

If this is all true, should we really be crucifying Danny, because he placed his faith in Vinny and Vinny hires Zorn, and Vinny is the one largely responsible for this mess.

It was further inferred that Danny has told Vinny that this is your boy and you better get it right or you are gone as well.

Hence, the comments that came from Vinny this morning, because he now knows that his head is on the chopping block also.

Can it be confirmed that Jim Zorns hire was all Vinny's doing?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was funny when Jim Zen said there were plenty of players on the Redskins roster that could start for other NFL teams, and then proceeded to name all three of them.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you JR for prefacing this post with "Analysis". I must have saved a good 5 minutes skipping over it.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------------

I raised that point the other day to B Mitch (he didn't answer).

What if Snyder has turned the corner and is already ok with that too? Certainly, none of us thought it would be THIS bad, but they chopped some serious vets this offseason, they apparently wanted Sanchez (does that say 'win now'?), and as has been pointed out before, it would have been difficult to make a serious push to upgrade the offensive line (between availability and cost).

So... are we crucifying Snyder for having the gall to subject us to a 'rebuilding season'?

Worth debate, though I'm definitely on the side that I have a better chance of getting pregnant than The Dan planning beyond next game.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the NFL executive from another team is being generous....this line was weak before Samuels and Thomas went down for the season. Now, we've got 3 guys (Heyer, Big Mike, and Montgomery) who wouldn't be on most NFL rosters as 3 of our starters!

Let's look at Vinny's draft Class for 2008:

Devin Thomas (2nd round) - little or no production; finally is starting ahead of a non productive Malcolm Kelly.

Malcolm Kelly (2nd round) - teams didn't draft him because of chronic knee problems. See D. Thomas above.

Fred Davis (2nd round) - TE who can't learn the plays and was a waste considering we have a Pro Bowl TE and a decent backup.

Chad Rhinehart (3rd round) - demoted after being given a chance to start due to injury to starter. COMPLETE BUST.

Justin Tryon (4th round) - playing a little better this year, but hasn't been able to become a nickel corner. Skins draft another corner in the 3rd round in 2009.

Punter from GT (6th round) - cut during last season. COMPLETE BUST.

Chris Horton (7th round) - won starting job last year, but is rotating with Reed Doughty this year. Class of the 2008 draft.

WE NEED TO START A FIRE VINNY CAMPAIGN!!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 11:52 AM

The Maryland Terrapins.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 12:32 PM

I think we all can see that. But it is blarringly a sight @ the QB position.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

LarryinClintonMD,

Dude, it doesnt matter what Snyder did. EVERYONE is piling it on as they should. His 10 years of running this team into the ground have been more than enough. The only way to bring about change (that DS will obviously not make himself) is to pile it on and force his hand. Not the time to split hairs.

FIRE CERRATO!!!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Can it be confirmed that Jim Zorns hire was all Vinny's doing?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 23, 2009 12:32 PM

You are partially incorrect. Danny "the Donkey" Snyder is only partly being lambasted for not getting out of the way. The rest of it comes BECAUSE he hired Vinny "the inept" Cerrato.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This has probably been said.

The only thing this announcement means is that no one else wants Zorn's job.

I'm sure Danny has exhausted all plausible replacements and found that no one wants to step in this mess.

So Zorn and the Redskins stay the course and Danny goes back to the drawing board.

Vinny, I hope, is on thin ice.

And a penny saved is a penny spurned.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a damn what that RWing flake and Bush buttbuddy Steve Largent thinks.

The Redskins franchise is run poorly, yes. I'll give credibility to those who criticize the franchise from local media, fans, and former/current players of the Redskins team, but NOT from this bag of pus, who ironically enough comes from a franchise (Seahags) who've never won a damn thing - they have ZERO Lombardi bling in their trophy case.

So Largent can go f*ck himself.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I fully understand about the execution point. But I believe this is a coarching issue as well.

Pointing out how people aren't executing bad schemes, or schemes they don't understand, or schemes they're not motivated to execute doesn't excuse I formation in the end zone or 10 yard cushions on a slant route.

Remember when the D used to actually communicate about what was happening with the play? And by communicate, I don't mean Fletch hollerin' and nobody doing anything about it. ST21 used to have the secondary tight (when allowed to). Don't even get me started on the lack of O communication. NON EXISTANT. They can't even get the play in much less adjust it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:20 PM

No doubt. DC got five sacks and only gave up three to KC, yet lost. At least DC had a lead (that they didn't protect) in the second half of that abysmal game.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The other question: Other than the Raiders, which NFL team has a worse owner than the Redskins?

(Dan Snyder makes me long for a gal like Denise DeBartolo York.)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

'owner Daniel Snyder faced the biggest crisis of his 10-plus seasons as owner'

Calling BS on that one. Front office turmoil is nothing compared to the death of a teammate.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Vinny and Dan are sounding like two irresponsible teanagers that keep crashing the family car but don't understand why they are no longer trusted with the keys.

The 2008 draft is looking like a complete washout and, with the exception of Orakpo, 2009 isn't looking much better.

A RI fan poll of round by round selections couldn't do any worse and Danny can just save all the money he is spending on a GM, scouts and expensive dinners.

Until Dan hires an experienced team builder as a GM and gets out of the way, nothing will change. Vinny may be a good recruiter, but he has never built a team. And we haven't seen any indication that he even has a clue of how to do this.

Posted by: hapster | October 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I want to make "a few things perfectly clear" Jim Zorn is the head coach of the Washington Redskins for the rest of the season, and hopefully into the future. Those are the words of Vinnie Cerrato. This is a blanket statement that if acurate, sounds as though he intends to be here in 2010 and beyond, and the prospect of Zorn doing likewise. Some may label this scary!!

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 23, 2009 12:32 PM

Then the question is why that's the case. Are the coaches not demanding enough in practice? If these mistakes have occurred in all these games, then does that not reflect somewhat on what is being taught?

Posted by: TWISI | October 23, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If DC loses on Monday and Zorn cannot be blamed for playcalling, who will the finger be pointed at afterwards?

Posted by: Realness1 | October 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess it is business as usual for Clinton Portis, then.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

Portis needs to go. I know that I am in the minority here, but I don't think that he's worth the salary and the trouble of having him on the team. He only cares about himself.

Portis is a toxic influence in the lockerroom. He refuses to practice or play in the pre-season. He demands that the coach remove other players from the game. The owner enables him to undermine the coach both in public and behind scenes.

I hope that the team trades him or cuts him in the offseason. I don't think that he's worth the trouble to be honest. I know that others won't agree with him but the team would be doing itself a favor if they got rid of him.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is a good businessman and spares no expense with one of the most profitable franchises in sports. But maybe that's the problem: The young billionaire runs the team more like a first-time fantasy-football manager.

Among the most expensive outlays: nearly $225 million committed to LaVar Arrington, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Laveranues Coles and Adam Archuleta. Though those mistakes were at beginning of Snyder's tenure, Washington still hasn't come anywhere near the Super Bowl and has had five head coaches during his decade of ownership.

Think Snyder learned his lesson?

This past offseason, he locked up three players -- Albert Haynesworth, DeAngelo Hall and Derrick Dockery -- for a combined $162M.

-sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

This is also the result of signing overpriced veterans from other teams who have won. They just come to Ashburn to get paid.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Jaworski said he has watched every play of all of our games and...He went on to say that he expects Monday Night to be a castrophe - not his exact words but that is what he meant."

I agree with Jaws.

The iggles are competing against the World Series Phillies, the debacle in Oakland, and the sense that the jints are running away with the NFC East.

If I'm Team Reid, I unleash the hounds--and Mike Vick in the wildcat--and hope early points make the skins fold quickly and quietly.

And get familiar with the plan: 'cuz just about every team we face until the season's end will come at us like that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

If the playcalling is as bad as it has been, then Bingo should get it (along w/ all the other porblems we've been beyotchin' about).

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

come on Danny boy sir, you can make players and fans happy:

Fire Vinny, hire Dungy

then listen, talk it out, and learn....
give them the control

Posted by: ebbline | October 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

come on Danny boy sir, you can make players and fans happy:

Fire Vinny, hire Dungy

then listen, talk it out, and learn....
give them the control

Posted by: ebbline | October 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Bingo jokes = power rankings.

Enuff already.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 23, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Dik,

Nothin' but love for ya, man, but did you read Steve Largent's comments?

Why do you still insist on ripping Jim Zorn?

He walked face first into a blender, his bad, but jeeesh...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Realness1

Great question. Then the blame will go to where it has ( and should be ) all along.
The quarterback.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid you are worse than Jason LaCanfora.

Posted by: fja711 | October 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

The problem is that Snyder has brought in high priced players who have won championships elsewhere; they come to Ashburn to be paid. They have no interest in playing hard.

The other problem is that Snyder openly allows Clinton Portis to skip practice and the preseason. That's one of the reasons why he fumbled in the KC game last weekend.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lisa instead of knitting some stockings why not post some pixs of you in some stockings. No just stockings!

Posted by: vaherder | October 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

What I've been saying for a very long time now ... very, very long time ... but of course Mr. scagamble1975 will call me a liar. ~smiles~

Its not the quarterback, its not the system, what Portis has said and has done is like Cerrato ... a symptom not the problem ... its Snyder and Cerrato and their choice of talent on this team ... something which Zorn and the coaches had very little, if any control over.

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

is it just me, or do you guys also miss Jason LaCanfora as the blog-runner? Not only this blog, but the weekly Skins chat too. Lately, Reid is taking too many plays off. He doesnt offer any insight, spends WAY too much time trying to go out of his way to criticize, and just lacks the cameraderie with the fans and their comments. Granted JLC was a doosh on many occasions, he took time to read guest e-mails and post them, he was very receptive and courteous to the chatters, and came up with cool concepts, like the TCCLs, and the game wrap-ups the morning after every single game.
Jason Reid ain't cuttin it.

Posted by: kman2 | October 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

finally, all our problems are over

Posted by: chillsonic | October 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

If players are starting to think that way, stick a fork in it, we're done.

Upside who do we pick with our top 5 draft pick?

Russel Okung OK St our new LT

Please hire me to be team president, Mr Dan, I have a plan!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 23, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------
Looks like we may have no choice in that matter. If it is going to be an ugly year, if Snyder and Cerrato were smart, they would send out a memo telling the entire team that no one's job is safe; and that, going forward, they would be determining who really wanted to play and succeed and who was there just for a paycheck.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think the blame should rest on the shoulders of some dude from the practice squad.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn=CASHburn

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, if I were in charge, I would first determine who really wants to play and who just wants to get paid. I would immediately trade or cut those in the latter. Of those remaining in the former I would determine which ones can really play well, which ones fit in the Redskin culture, which ones should be traded for whatever pick they can get even if it is at a firesale price, and cut the rest.

The defense is fine for the most part. I would probably blow up the offense and start over. I would trade everyone, including Portis, for whatever pick they can get even again if it has to be at a firesale price. The only offensive players that I would definitely keep are Cooley, Collins, and maybe Betts and Sellers. I would trade the rest away. I would use whatever picks that come in return to find linemen and other offensive positions.

That would require probably writing off the 2010 and maybe the 2011 seasons. Snyder probably doesn't want to do that; but, given where the team is going, he may have no choice in the matter.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it's Todd Collins!! How are you doing Todd?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 23, 2009 12:22 PM |

Doing fine. Are you still in dream land? Did you ever get your nose out JC's behind?
Did you buy your tickets to see JC at the Super Bowl? I will sell you mind, I won't be able to go.

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Again, Vinny strives to buck conventional wisdom. It's one of the many flaws of this guy -- consistently making the wrong choices -- and insisting they're the right ones.

Just when about everyone else has concluded that it's time to blow up this whole hopeless scheme and start over, they decide to retrench and give us more of the same.

And just when about everyone has decided that it's time to fire the coach and GM, they express their confidence in each other and desire to move on.

It's just another example of the Redskins front office continual thumbing of their noses at the ever shrinking number of fans for this team -- and reminding us that they are accountable to no one.

The truth is Vinny knows that as Zorn goes, so does he. If you fire Zorn, you must fire Vinny too... and Vinny ain't going without a fight.

Trouble is, as bad as it looks today, it will only gets worse (much worse) as the season goes along.

3-13 anyone?

FIRE ZORN
FIRE VINNY

Posted by: Vic1 | October 23, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Periculum--I think that Portis is a major problem that the ownership has enabled. How can any coach be respected by his players if ownership is going to allow Portis to undermine him at every opportunity? What signal does it send to other players when Portis continually gets preferential treatment?

Posted by: jiacinto | October 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

peri

"...it's Snyder and Cerrato and their choice of talent on this team ... something which Zorn and the coaches had very little, if any control over."

I agree and disagree.

Former jints coach Steve Spagnuolo ran out of the room when Snyder gave him the "I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse," speech.

It lookslike Zorn and Bugel should've followed him.

Now, only some lame sucker/hot coach wanting to get paid will come here to get handled like a cheap Home Depot tool.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Zorn and Jason Campbell. They are what they are. Zorn shouldn't be a head coach and Jason Campbell shouldn't be a starting QB in the NFL but both of them have tried hard. Vinny Cerrato is the problem. He has a owner that is willing to pay as much money as it takes to put a good team together and he has created a atrocity. There are a handful of good players on this team, Moss, Samuels, Fletcher, Carter and a few others and for the most part the rest of the team is junk. The coaching staff that has been hired is bad. The blame goes to Cerrato.

Posted by: liftedexx | October 23, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato removed Zorn from the hot seat for the final 10 games.

Or at least officially added himself to it. Think Snyder can't fire Cerrato and take back the fired guy's promise? Having Vinny say you're good sure ain't like hearing your owner says you're safe.

I think we're hearing pretty clearly that Vinny's on the way out. I hope he lets the door smack the crud outta him. ;^)

And if the players stop playing because they feel there's nothing to play for, they're idiots. How about those guys who shelled out for season tickets? How about for wins? Heck, I'd be happy with selfish stat padders at this point.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 23, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I feel like talking about the oppennent. Anyone with moi?

Why I think we have the Eagles number?

They run a pass happy WCO. Not the Run-Happy WCO when McNabb had legs. And Westbrook is on a downturn as well. McCoy has had fumbling issues.

I bet we will see alot of Smoooot playing FS so the Skins can have 3 CBs on the field often. Horton's downward spiral might continue. Lot's of sacks.

People forget we have a DEFENSE who is currently 6th in the NFL for Sacks. Remember last year when JLaC harped on it day in, day out for like 2 years?

Defense is also 3rd in Pass Defense. 8th in Scoring Defense.

The Defense carries this team to a MNF win.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Doe's anyone here think Jim Zorn threw a temper tantrum prior to this year's draft and demanded we draft offensive linemen? Personally I think he was so thrilled to be handed the HC job, he told Snyder and Cerrato I'll lead TC Williams against the NFLs finest if that's what you want me to do! I hope Ceratto lands a nice job in the scouting department for Wofford College after the season, and Zorn's drawing up plays in the Midget Football League next season!!!!! Oh and they can take the current offensive line with them....

Posted by: blackhills1 | October 23, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

eagles WCO is basically pass short, pass short, screen pass, occasional handoff, and DEEP, DEEP, DEEP.
skins WCO is run left, run left, pass short (incomplete). run, run, run some more. occasional deep pass, but keep running.
absolutely no screen passes whatsoever.

it's easy to dog on this team...but the fact is, if the skins can miraculously fix the playcalling structure with Lewis' help, and actually do traditional WCO stuff, it could drastically change the output of this offense. After all, the defense is stellar at holding opponents under 20 pts..,....meaning, if Sherman can magically get this team to put out 21 pts per game, we could see a helluva big difference these next 10 weeks.

Posted by: kman2 | October 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

left tackle
offensive line
no receivers
no running game
offensive line
new coach
coach wont let me call the plays
not enough time
new system
new offensive line
right tackle
instability in the front office
receivers dropped the balls
receivers not doing their part
receivers farted in the huddle
new receivers
old receivers
short receivers
tall receivers
left tackle
right tackle
offensive line
not enought time
zorn doesn't give me freedom
left toe nail was hurting
someone in the practice squad
someone at practice
the water boy
the secretary
Snyder messing with Zorn
relay of calls takes too long
Smith not familiar with the system
Cerrato (good one, anything and everything)
Snyder (good one, anything and everything)
the offensive line (good one, recycle, recycle...)
the receivers (still good for a few more excuses)
the distractions
the media

Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

raise your hand if u thought Jordan Gross from Carolina, the STUD LT, would have been a 10x better pickup than Haynesworth this past offseason. Furthermore, we coulda picked up another player with the leftovers, potentially another lineman.

Posted by: kman2 | October 23, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Kman on the second part of your comment, I'm not so optimistic that this O Line will give us that luxury. It would be nice to have some clear direction steering this ship in Washington. I think alot of the negativity is just frustration and most of our fans want nothing more than to see our Redkins flourish once again!!!!

Posted by: blackhills1 | October 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So word on the street is, now with Zorn no longer calling plays or anything he will be plugging his headset into a walkman, Zorn's old-school.

I hear he needs 2 different mix taps for each game.

So what are some songs Zorn would have?

I think, Feelings by Morris Albert, All by myself by Celien Dion, & All By Myself by Green Day

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The goal of the announcement wasn't to let Zorn off the hook. It's likely Snyder and Cerrato very much want Zorn ON the hook, so to speak, for the rest of the season. The goal of the announcement was, as ever, to blunt some of the criticism directed at Snyder and Cerrato themselves. Publicly committing to giving Zorn the rest of the season (and tacking on the ridiculous "and hopefully into the future") lets just enough air out of the dead-accurate Snyder-and-Cerrato-are-pathologically-impatient-and-impulsive critique that media types (outside of Washington, at least) are likely to move onto something else. Also, by removing the storyline of Zorn trying to coach under duress while looking over his shoulder for Snyder's ax, Snyderrato have removed one of the built-in apologies for Zorn that stood to move him out of the role they REALLY need him for, which is to act as a bullet-shield against mounting criticism of their management of the franchise.

In other words, everything's stills screwed.

Posted by: manalive | October 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Last post "Campbell will where a wristband with plays on it"
This just in...WELCOME TO QBing in the NFL!!!
Don't most teams' qbs have one of these already...Sometimes I'm just at a loss of words about our team.

Posted by: kickass10101 | October 23, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

truthfully next year after all of the upcoming moves have been made.But redskin fans you can still talk loud and hard for dan synder to stay out of any football decisions or until new gm hire then stay away.

Posted by: BJ921 | October 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Great, glad to hear the team is saving themselves from an injury. Is this NOT the sport of football? What a bunch of losers.

Posted by: JBuss | October 23, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

JC'S PLAYBOOK.
(of excuses)Posted by: hock1 | October 23, 2009

Gee, I think Jets fans were posting the same sort of tripe about Brett Favre ... just LAST YEAR!? He seems to be doing quite well with the Vikings thank you very much? What about that Mr. Hock? Idiots ..

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

But now their offensive line is crippled, crippled, crippled and patched together not unlike Washington's. So let's see how the fans excoriate McNabb and company for that as the season progresses.

absolutely no screen passes whatsoever.

Portis and he doesn't catch screen passes that is why Betts gets more time. Westbrook goes out into pass patterns on a regular basis. But let's see what happens now that the Eagles offensive line is decimated. Let's see what kind of plays Andy Reid can call under those circumstances.

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

FIRE ZORN
FIRE VINNY

Posted by: Vic1 | October 23, 2009

Take an aspirin to help those brain tumors ... you'll feel better in the morning if you're not dead. What you continue to suggest amounts to the same thing ...

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ebbline | October 23, 2009

Take aspirin to cure those brain tumors sticking out of your skull ... you may feel better in the morning ... if you aren't dead. You aren't solving the problem ... duh?

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Only question that remains, who has a worse offensive line than the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 23, 2009

Because of injuries perhaps only the Eagles ... just perhaps ... Andy Reid is in charge there and so who knows what rabbit he may pull out of his hat.

Posted by: periculum | October 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Where is Barno? Come home you little scamp.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 23, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse