Alridge Has Something to Prove

Anthony Alridge failed to make the opening 53-man roster, in large part, because he fumbled too much. Is there a better reason to cut a running back?

But with right guard Randy Thomas sidelined for the remainder of the season because of a triceps injury, the Redskins had an opening on the roster, and they welcomed back Alridge, signing him from the Houston Texans' practice squad.

"It definitely feels good to get a second opportunity, you know, to prove that you can play this game," said Alridge, who is expected to be active Sunday against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. "Just to make big plays out there on the field, to help this team win, that's what I'm trying to do."

Washington began camp hoping to add a back with home-run potential. The speedy Alridge (he has been clocked at 4.36 in the 40-yard dash) displayed a good burst and showed he could get to the edge - an element long missing from the Redskins' ground game. In the preseason, he had 46 yards and a 4.6-yard average.

Again, though, he put the ball on the ground too much. Some Redskins decision-makers were uncomfortable with having a guy on the roster with such ball-security issues, and that was before Alridge lost a fumble on a kickoff return and the Jacksonville Jaguars recovered the ball and returned it for a touchdown in the final preseason game.

Thanks to his trusty tennis ball, Alridge's fumbling problems are a thing of the past, he said. "I got my tennis ball," Alridge said. "I just throw the tennis ball up in the air, keep my eyes on the ball, just stay focused. Fumbling the ball is just a lack of concentration. I'm concentrating now."

The Redskins kept Marcus Mason on the roster over Alridge, which, as many of you know, I could not understand. Mason is a hard worker, and the former Georgetown Prep standout has been productive in multiple auditions with the Redskins, but he's not a change-of-pace back.

He's a tackle-to-tackle guy just like Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright. This was reinforced during Mason's brief three-carry, five-yard performance against the Rams. I had planned to write a lot more about Mason in my game report, but then we learned Thomas was out for the season and, well, news trumps all.

When I saw the inactive list for the last game, I couldn't believe Mason was up. In commenting on Mason's role on the team when the roster was announced, Coach Jim Zorn said Mason probably would not be active unless Portis or Betts were injured. Cartwright is a standout on special teams and Mason is not a big teams guy, so, barring injuries, Cartwright would be the No. 3 running back in most games.

And then Mason was active in Week 2 and it appeared as if the Redskins were grasping at straws, hoping Mason, who is not expected to be active against the Lions, would somehow provide a spark on offense despite the fact he doesn't possess change-of-pace speed.

Ladell Betts supposedly is the team's third-down back, but I think his grip on that role isn't as strong as it was in the preseason. With Mason active last week and the return of Alridge, the team still is searching for something on offense and it seems the backfield -- behind Portis, anyway -- still is unsettled and could be for awhile.

Alridge has speed and the Redskins are in need of playmakers. It seems as if they always have to run 10-14 plays to score, usually a field goal, and that's a drain on the whole offense. The whole team, actually. Imagine how uplifting it could be for the Redskins if they had a few two- or three-play drives or (dare we dream?) even a one-play drive.

Alridge, who missed time in camp because of a foot injury, said he is physically sound now and ready to roll. "I don't need no rhythm. I just want the ball," he said. "Just throw me in there. Throw me in there [to] try to make some big plays and give it back to Clinton Portis and let him do his thing. That's why he's one of the best in the league and I'm just trying to spell him and give him a break."

The Redskins' four other running backs do not possess Alridge's speed, so he could get opportunities others won't this week against the Lions. "Definitely," he said. "I can get some draw plays to make the defense guess a little bit; catch the ball out of the backfield. I definitely feel I can make some plays out there."

By Jason Reid  |  September 23, 2009; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rinehart vs. Montgomery
Next: Sonny: 'I Certainly Don't Have a Problem' With Zorn

Comments

Still trying to understand the rationale for carrying 5 RBs.

Posted by: JinxMan | September 23, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

***Re-post***

Um, PASkins, please tell me you're kidding about the combine/draft. In what way does that have ANY bearing on what type of receiver Holmes has been in the NFL to date, you know, while actually playing?

Holmes has never had a season with more than 55 catches and 950 yards. That's very average. Last season they, the Steelers, had a down year running the ball. Holmes grand total numbers: 55 catches, 821 yards, 5 TDs.

Ward? My bad. He's been legit. When he's done, they'll be talking about the HOF for him. Not first ballot, but eventually.

I didn't know he's been in the league since '98. From 2001 to 2005 he was that dude. He'll finish with 1,000 receptions, 10,000 yards, and 100 TDs.

Them be HOF numbers for sure.

Again, my bad about Hines Ward.

Posted by: RedDMV

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Mason will not be active this week.

Posted by: jm220 | September 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Today, September 23, 2009, 4:02:00 PM
Look for rookie LB DeAndre Levy to take the place of injured LB Ernie Sims on the weak-side. "He's been doing a good job," LB Julian Peterson said. "As a rookie the coaches have put him in a lot of positions to see where he fits. He's done a good job on translating it all into one."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

jinx, I think they're cutting Rock before the end of the season.

I would think Betts may get cut, but they made a commitment to him as their 3rd down back. So I think he stays for at least this season.

That's just me though.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

2:20:45 pm Redskins coach Jim Zorn had the stereo system up and running again during warmups. The players definitely enjoy the music, and they will have to get used to the noise level as they play inside this week at Ford Field in Detroit.

---------------------------------------
2:19:52 pm All roster and practice squad players were dressed in pads for practice. Some players will be limited.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted Sept. 18, 2009 @ 4:13 p.m.
By Mike Wilkening
Updated Monday, Sept. 21 @ 10:27 a.m. ET

Not to be lost in the in the flurry of yards and points the Ravens racked up in the first two weeks of the season was the play of the offensive line, which allowed only two sacks and paved the way for Ravens running backs to rush for 298 yards. The line's superior protection of QB Joe Flacco was particularly notable; he is not especially mobile, and the Ravens clearly plan to let him throw more than a season ago. Flacco, sacked 32 times as a rookie, has proven that when given time to throw, he will accurately spread the ball to a variety of targets, and those efforts start with the offensive line, a group loaded with potential on the edges (OLT Jared Gaither and ORT Michael Oher, the club's first-round pick in 2009) and boasting two very good starters inside in OLG Ben Grubbs and ex-Vikings C Matt Birk. The line's best effort can be a very good one, as it showed right off the bat in '09.

This caption really hurts. I'd damn sure rather have Birk then Rabach and we all know the deal with Oher.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 23, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

JinxMan, i'm still trying to understand the rationale for hiring an OC before the HC, the TJ Duckett trade, and the JT trade.

it all comes back to the owner and his bff vinny.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

So.....it's safe to say JReid is a MAson Hater? Like Beantown was last year?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

it all comes back to the owner and his bff vinny.

Posted by: NFeKPo

Cue the dude in from the NE region....

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but can he play Right Guard?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thinkin' the same thing RE: Reid/MMason, 4th.

What Reid needs to ask his agenda carrying ass is, how many plays was Mason involved in, and how many of those plays was a run?

I think it was all.

But no, this dude Reid has some "F U Mason" axe to grind and loves bringing it out every time the RBs are mentioned.

May be Mason tried to get at his wife or something. Who the f knows...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

All I know right now is Ladell and Rock will be leaving before Aldridge and MMason.

Book it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it just last year that Portis and Landry raced each other and it was pretty much a tie? If I remember right Landry is a 4.3 guy and Portis was right there with him. Why does every seem to say Portis can't run?

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | September 23, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

How many remember RB George Rogers, when he had a fumbling problem, he said he carried a football in his hands throughout the offseason?

It seemed to fix his fumbling problem!

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

3:27:48 pm Redskins coach Jim Zorn on whether he is concerned about a Lions team desperate for a win: "We all are desperate for a win."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Why does every seem to say Portis can't run?

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk

I think the NY game is a perfect example. On that 1st run where he got 34 yards, he just seemed slow. You could tell immediately when he hit the hole that there was no way he going to out run anyone. Remember his first carry as a Skin, against TB, he took it to the house. Compare those two videos he just doesn't have the same speed.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

4th is probably right. This team is definitely grasping for an extra spark. If Alridge breaks at least a couple big gains, he'll probably leapfrog Mason, Betts, and Cartright.

It's not his shere 40 time. Alridge is a smaller target to tackle and he shifts gears quicker. Let's just hope his fumblitis is, for the most part, behind him.

Posted by: pgugino | September 23, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | September 23, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Maybe its because on the field his burst looks all but gone. He's not the same speedy back he once was and there's no way he still runs a 4.3

Posted by: ga8085 | September 23, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Zorn has already installed a red zone trick play featuring Alridge in this week's gameplan. [rolleyes]

Posted by: alwayswaitingtilnextyear | September 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Because he can't seem to outrun anybody wearing a different uniform.

When's the last time he out ran anybody, or made anyone miss in the open field. He's still pretty good between the tackles running down hill, but he doesn't seem to have the speed to bounce it outside and out run the DE or LB. If the play id designed to go wide, maybe sometimes, but not a bounce.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid is a very funny guy. He hated on Mason during preseason, then he writes a great tread saying how he was wrong in all of his reporting of the Kid during preseason, and admitted that his knowledge of everything going on inside Redskin Park was mis-guided and incorrect. Then booooooom!!!! He used this time to ambush the kid with a another tread dogging his ass. This piece should have been about Alridge and his second chance and not about Mason being a Portis, Rock, and Betts clone. Jason, just do us a favor and just write a Tread stating in your words and not hiding behind WAPO crafty words and Just say, " I Jason Reid, Hate Marcus Mason Period."
And when you see the kid in the Park just ignore him and if he do well one game and he will just write about him as #24 and not kiss his ass for a story as if you like the kid.......

Good Luck AA, I hope this time you can make something of your opportunity.....

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 23, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Still trying to understand the rationale for carrying 5 RBs."

I can offer no rationale -- as that would imply there's some logic involved here.

However, I would simply observe that notwithstanding his failed attempt at playing fourth quarter quarterback last weekend, CP has yet to play a meaningful game this season -- or even practice in a serious way with the first teamers -- as the so-called and increasingly oxymoronic "coaching staff" is apparently resting him against the ever more remote possibility that they may need CP to do something worthwhile later this season.

I guess someone convinced Zoron the Moron that early season losses count less in the win-loss records and division standings than late ones. Yo Vinny?

But with that all said, you still need someone you can put out there to fumble, drop easy passes, take a few penalties, and blow their blocking assignments. And who better to do that than this proven pre-season reject?

Posted by: Vic1 | September 23, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the whole anti-Zron state of mind. However, all of the blame does lay at his feet when it comes to end zone ineffiencency. I will state for the record though, Suny Jergensun is a terrible announcer and a horrible post game interviewer. Maybe he should try actually asking questions rather than barking out statements because he "knows what he's doing" because he played in the 50's or whatever. I feel bad for Zron though, I fear the worst for him at the end of the season.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 23, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Them be HOF numbers for sure.

Again, my bad about Hines Ward.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Average for what? Certainly not a guy in his 2nd or third year in the league. He was their number 2 at that time. Those are damn fine numbers for a #2 WR on a smash mouth football team. Keep in mind he's already got 200 yards in 2 games this year. He's a damn good receiver and this is only his 4th season. He's still young and was working his way up the depth chart. He was also part of a receiving group that included Hines Ward at about 1,000 yards a season, Nate Washington at 600 yards a season, and Heath Miller at about 500 yards a season. He is now the primary target of that passing game. I guarentee outside of injury he gets 1,000 yards this season. If you think he's mediocre then you should watch some steelers games.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 23, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Zron though, I fear the worst for him at the end of the season.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 23, 2009 3:51 PM

Don't cry for Zorn. The schedule is tailor made for this team to succeed; easy in the beginning, harder as it goes along. If Zorn is worth keeping around, he will go into the middle of the season with a winning record and an improving team.

The only thing this team has trouble doing is scoring points (I know that sounds silly), but there's no magic force field around the end zone. They know how to move the ball. I see a lot of other teams scoring TDs beyond the 20, so if our WRs get more run-after-catch action that can be part of the solution. People hanging onto catches is another part of the solution.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

10+ wins will solve all Zorn's problems.

Portis has become an NFC East back since coming to DC. I think he put on weight and has changed his style to become a between the tackles kind of back, now we're looking for a change of pace back...and so it goes.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"Still trying to understand the rationale for carrying 5 RBs."

Looks like Vinny just can't make the critical tough decisions.

If we are phasing out Rock - as it certainly appears, then move on. If Mason didn't do it for you (what else would motivate this move) then move on. Why clutter up the roster with guys you don't have much faith in when you could be bringing in other prospects (like a CB or O lineman)

If you can't decide, then you keep the contingency plans around as long as you can and let the water get muddy.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

the pats carry 5 backs, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, and BenJavis Ellis, all except for Faulk are pretty much the same type of player and same size, so I'm not putting much into that....

They should have cut Rock at the final cutdown....he's not long for this team.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: BMACattack | September 23, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse"

But, Sonny played during...
But, you say Zorn is to blame...
But....

Oh, never mind.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to figure the rational of drafting only two o-linemen in the past two drafts. There's a reason FA's are not drafted and former players are just that. You don't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the 5 running backs is a little misleading. Mason is most likely only playing significantly if Portis gets hurt. I'd bet we see Mason on the inactive list. He is the primary backup to Portis. Cartright is a special teamer and shouldn't really count as a RB. It's really 3 backs hopefully on the gameday roster. Portis, Betts, and Alridge. Portis runs through the Tackles. Betts catches passes out of the backfield and runs draw plays. Alridge is a little burner for the second half change of pace and may return kicks.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 23, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

NFeKPo,
at the time I thought it was just b/c it was pre-season and for CP, who cares, right? But now it seems like they're quietly trying to resolve the issue that CP doesn't have the speedy wheels anymore. That said, he's still good between the tackles. He's just not gonna give us more than an initial burst from here forward.

Posted by: pgugino | September 23, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Alridge back. Now let's see if he can do any better than Mason's 1.7 yards per carry.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 23, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

From portis and rocky:

In other news, Rocky McIntosh's latest blog item also touches on the booing question, although that wasn't his main point. "Fans, cut us some slack with the booing," he wrote. "We like constructive criticism but we also need your support to make it through the season."

"It's just people growing tired," Portis said Wednesday, when asked about the teenage angst that's had D.C. sports fans wearing tight black t-shirts and writing weepy poetry this week. "You come out, you bring a family of four or five to come to a game, that's $500, and then you've got to eat and park. You're spending $700 a week to come out and see some entertainment, and you get there and it's really not a lot of entertainment. I think people just growing weary of that.

"We would love to make it exciting. You know, myself included. I'm sure everybody around here, nobody want to go out and score nine points. Everybody want touchdowns. Everybody want to go to the Pro Bowl. Everybody want to win....I really do think on paper we've got the most talented team in the NFL. It's just putting it together and making it work."

During Portis's weekly sessions, the reporters come and go, and so questions can sort of catapult from one topic to a second and a third before returning to an earlier point. And so a few minutes later, someone asked Portis whether Jim Zorn is on the hot seat, which brought us back to the macro existential despair thing.

"Hey, I feel like I'm on the hot seat," Portis said. "I can't speak on Coach Zorn, I don't know. I feel like I'm on the hot seat."

Why, came the follow-up.

"I mean, performance, as a team," Portis said. "We're getting booed coming off the field. So I think everybody in this organization on the hot seat. You know, I think you look at the owner, he on the verge of losing fans. You know, how long before people just give up and stop coming? You look at the players, and people want you out of here. You look at the coach, people want you out of here. So who's not on the hot seat? Until we come out and play to our potential, I think everybody on the hot seat."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17, I'm thinking Betts is the backup to Portis.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, PASkins, what about last year when there wasn't much of a running game in Pittsburgh?

Parker was oft injured, their rookie RB has his shoulder smashed by Ray Lewis, no smash mouth running game, right?

Hines barely clipped 1,000 yards. And 'Holmes the Great had 55 for under 1,000 in reception numbers. With no running game. The Steelers were ranked 22nd in the league in rushing last year.

What's funny is that you try and downgrade Ben Roethlisberger as a QB, but then cite those impressive numbers by the receivers.

Who was throwing them the ball?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

If Double A gets the ball control thing down we will have a revamped set of backup RB's.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:05 PM

Buges is an O-line god-coach, and he's wearing SB jewelry. If he says he can grab any 320 lb guy from a bar and coach him up, who's going to question him?

I truly believe Buges is the reason there haven't been more O-line drafted.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

AA could bring an exciting element to the Skins backfield that we haven't seen in waaaaay too long - crazy, game changing speed.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe Buges is the reason there haven't been more O-line drafted.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Right....cause Vinny is so crafty at signing all the leftovers. Get real.

Posted by: ksquare | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2009 4:08 PM

And this is why I am still saying 15-1. Portis understands.

And this is why I haven't left the team as have Chris LaRrY and RedDMV......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

RI Blog = Power Rankings

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for giving Aldridge a shot-anything to shake things up offensively. That said, three downs a la Mason do not a shot make. I think Einstein said that.

Posted by: bostskin | September 23, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"If Mason didn't do it for you (what else would motivate this move) then move on."

'Cause may be, both Betts and Rock are gone at the end of the season.

Just because Mason didn't impress, (although, I think every time he came in the game they ran the ball. Gee, whadda ya think they're doing?) doesn't mean that Mason isn't meeting expectations... on three carries... in his first game active.

Wow...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

RI Blog = Power Rankings
Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Thats what we get for some people running JLC out on a rail.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Right....cause Vinny is so crafty at signing all the leftovers. Get real.

Posted by: ksquare | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM

It has nothing to do with Vinny's scouting talents. I believe Snyder respects Buges, much as he did Gibbs. If Buges said, "I need more talent from the draft", I can't see Snyder opposing him. I feel confident in saying Buges has not made the case that he wanted O-line in the draft; if he did, I think Snyder would listen to him over Vinny. Nothing Buges says publicly indicates he has any worries about upgrading the play of his line.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe Buges is the reason there haven't been more O-line drafted.

Posted by: Alan4

You think the man is so confident in himself that he doesn't even request high draft picks at any point for o-line guys?

Yeah right. Every niche coach wants their unit to be the best, and they all lobby for draft picks. To do otherwise is stupid career suicide.

Posted by: REXskins | September 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I still think Marko is sorely missed. Apparently JZ does not agree.

Posted by: bostskin | September 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

And this is why I am still saying 15-1. Portis understands.

And this is why I haven't left the team as have Chris LaRrY and RedDMV......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

May not be with you on the 15-1.
But it's good to hear CP come out and say this stuff.

For all the criticism CP takes he still comes out every Sunday and lays it on the line for the team.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Disclaimer: This post may seem contradictory but try and follow.

I use to hate Ben R as a QB and i still don't think he is an elite QB but the man does win big games. You can't take that away from him. Would i take him on any given Sunday no but if i know i have to have to victory, i would choose Ben over "better" qbs.

Perfect example would be Philip Rivers. I think Rivers is a better qb but if i want my team to win, i would rather have Ben behind center.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Something I didn't realize: if you don't get an exceptional QB in the first round, you rarely ever get one in the second. Here's the list:

'08: Brian Brohm, Chad Henne
'07: Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton
'06: Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson
'05, '04, '03, '02: none drafted
'01: Drew Brees, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo
'00: none drafted
'99: Shaun King

I guess that's what they mean when they say top-tier rookie QBs are 'overvalued': they're drafted high because teams are afraid it's the only chance they'll have to grab one.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 23, 2009 3:17

Take that distribution to a stats class. 10 guys who've combined for very little on one side and the best QB in football on the other.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Right... 15-1, yeah sure 4th.

And the 'skins just hit me on the hip... they want me to come in for a workout. For what position, I don't know! But they sound, really, really, really interested.

Better book your hotel room for da fam in Tampa 'for it's too late... Might have to compete with a lot of Chief fans...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

When has Buges ever run down his guys? Never has, never will. Utimately, it's not his job to tell Vinny or Danny he needs more talent.

Buge's job is to coach up who he gets, Vinny's job is to assess team needs and fill said needs. Get it?

Posted by: ksquare | September 23, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Alan4:

And I wouldn't disagree on your take at all. The more time passes, the more respect I have for BUGES. But to me, this organization disses him my not giving him quality to work with in the first place. I mean when JOE JACOBY was picked as a FA out of LOUISVILLE, massive o-linemen were mostly unheard of. Now they go in the top rounds of any draft year. Cut the man some slack, and give him at least ONE great player in two drafts to coach up.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

'Cause may be, both Betts and Rock are gone at the end of the season.

Wow...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:21 PM
-------------------------------------------
RedDMV, I am with you on this notion... this is what I posted earlier.......

you can't judge the Kid off three carries. But what you can see that the writing is one the wall for both Betts and Rock. You talked about 2006. Great but that was 2006 and during that time since Betts put on a some major years in RB age. Yes, he is a reliable veteran but Marcus can be groomed to be the same veteran which is reliable. As I mentioned in a previous post, Portis will be replaced very soon with a young draft pick and at that time Marcus and Aldridge will be that new combination of Betts and Rock. Look at the situation and see that we have three running backs above the age of 29 which is a problem because your body starts to break down which is clear when you see Portis looking for a place to fall once he hits the holes a half a second to late. We have no youth at RB but we have plenty of experience which is causing us problems for break away speed at that position.

The staff saw what Darren did for the Chargers this past weekend and see we need that speed. Marcus is another Betts which is a compliment but with better eyes, more speed, and younger. Experience will come over time this season. Aldridge will provide the change of speed at KR and out of the backfield on swing plays. Rock was replaced this weekend in KR because he lost a step and yes Danny Smith loves Rock but his job is on the line like all the other coaches if they don't win so that love affair can only go but so far.

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 23, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM

I think you also have to take the Stillers #1 ranked defense along with him, because if Ben puts up 17 TDs and 15 INTs for the Skins like he did last year, they're not going to any "big games" and he's on Snyder's chopping block.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

'Cause may be, both Betts and Rock are gone at the end of the season.

Then cut Rock now and move on. He has reduced playing time already, and he doesn't even count as a running back. What is he even doing here? ...yeah, wow.

No reason to have 5 RB's on a roster that is so desperately thin at O line.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

AA could bring an exciting element to the Skins backfield that we haven't seen in waaaaay too long- crazy, game changing speed

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM

you mean Crazy gamebreaking fumbles.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 23, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

True, before you diss Bugel, look who he's had to work with while in Washington.

Especially this time around.

I think Buges is an above average to good linemen coach, but not great.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksquare | September 23, 2009 4:26 PM

Actually, coaches participate in assessing team needs. And Buges carries more clout than most assistant coaches. He can say he doesn't have a starting caliber RT, if he wants to. Snyder knows how to make trades. So no, I still think you're wrong.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

May be Mason tried to get at his wife or something. Who the f knows...

Posted by: RedDMV

Brilliant Analysis.

Posted by: TheCork | September 23, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

red, you're pissing on hallowed ground with that, I happen to agree, but be prepared.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Speed helps when you don't have blocking that's for sure. They already had 3 guards in the wings. (Four if you include Lorenzo Alexander.)

What they really need is for BMW to finally shake that rust off another tackle who is a starter.

As far as Montgomery. If he is that good and he is a center why not see if he can beat out Rabach as well as Rinehart?

Posted by: periculum | September 23, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

ecale25:

No-speed. He's just as fast without the ball as with it, and he's proved that over and over.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Alridge does not have to return punts (and potentially fumble). All he has to do is be able to catch screen passes ... and run with them without fumbling. That is what Zorn's offense needs.

Posted by: periculum | September 23, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Who was throwing them the ball?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, the thing is the number of passing yards doesn't always tell the whole story and you choose to ignore the other numbers. Big ben has a crappy TD/INT ratio, crappy QB rating, crappy DVOA, crappy DYAR, fumbles a lot, takes too many sacks and has a crappy completion percentage. You only look at his super bowl wins and total passing yards. You need to take a more complete analysis. I never said Ben couldn't throw the ball. He just fumbles it and throws it to the other team a lot too. Nobody cares because he has the leagues best defense. If he was on our team he'd be riding the pine. Holmes is a good receiver. You only mention his total yards which aren't even bad. You seem to love to point out that he was under 1,000 yards a year. In his second season in the NFL he had 952 yards in 13 games. Last year he played 15 games and had 841 yards. Hines ward was ranked 15th in yards and Santonio was ranked 38th. Santonio is transitioning into the primary receiver on that team. He will start getting more looks than Ward. When that happens he will give you the yards you are seeking. He already has 214 this season.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 23, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

cL - Ok Ok. You haven't left the team, but you lost 'faith' in the coach and being able to lead this team to the promiseland...

Similar to the NYGiants fans/media losing faith in Coughlin @ 0-2 in 2007 right before they beat us in week 3, which also began their run to the Super Bowl in the SAME YEAR.....

Can you feel it? We're getting better each game on defense and offense. Now, the players need to stop dropping balls and the defense needs to stop missing tackles and we can do it no matter what Zorn calls.

Whose with me?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'm with.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

edvar, I'm with you on "Axing the Rock". I think I made that very clear the last year or so...

banker21,

It's like people are valuing speed, "break away speed"... whatever... over actually possessing the ball in the first place.

Say Aldridge (who I actually like having on the team, but would like to see him come on later in the year) gets a KR past the 35, the 40, the 50, and gets stripped or simply loses the ball on a tackle, what exactly did all the fancy speed and run-back do for the team?

Kill the momentum. Give the other team to capitalize off your your f up.

Don't think turnovers are important?

The NY Giants can give you 24 reasons why they are.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

i don't know that cp is slow now or lacking burst. i think there's less daylight to run to with the skins running attack. you think back to denver's running game before and after clinton; they had no problem getting their backs in the open field. those same backs didn't have the same success after they left denver. it could have been the offensive scheme,the coaching, or a line that played together for years, either way i think the lack of big runs has less to do with cp and more to do with the line and offensive scheme. the same people who expect 75 yd tds from cp are crying about why can't we run inside the 20. but if you can't score from 20 yds out (or even 1/2 a yd out) why would you expect the same o line to spring a guy for 70 yds.

it's not just the line either. the wrs and te and fb have to block their man, some times at the 2nd level. they worked on that in denver. that was their system, it also involves a lot of cut blocking and crackbacks to get defensive players out of the play longer than straight ahead "aggressive" blocking techniques.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"But if Bugel is so great, he should be able to coach up any decent linemen that has the size to play in the NFL."

Say what?

Red, you're normally smarter than that (when you stay on your meds to control your rage...)

That's like saying a good QB coach can take any decent tall dude with an arm and make a QB out of him.

??

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I tend to agree that Mason and Alridge are being given a chance to replace Rock and Betts and perhaps ARE on PR.

I think both Rock and Betts are good players and have earned their jobs. If AA or Mason can come in and show mgmt that they are better, then move them up. To me, they need to show they are clearly better. I'll keep the vet if its close.

But, if its close, I keep them either on team or practice squad.

I'm sure Rock and Betts have gotten the message. The guard is going to change, its a matter of who and when.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm with 4th, too. Time to get the mojo back!

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

periculum:

MONTGOMERY's small for the o-line, shorter than RABACH, but slightly heavier, tough, feisty, inexperienced, and at 26, young compared to CASEY. WIL may ultimately do just that at the center position at least. I like EDWIN WILLIAMS for RG. I think by the end of next season the 'SKINS may have a new RANDY THOMAS. I'm waiting to see RANDY's resurrection in Mr. CHIN-WHISKER's RINEHART. "Live in hope........."

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

May be Mason tried to get at his wife or something. Who the f knows...

Posted by: RedDMV

Brilliant Analysis.

Posted by: TheCork | September 23, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse
Mase was a big deal round here after during high school. he mighta gave our moderator's wife a try

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

AA posses speed that cannot be coached, but fumbling can be corrected, so let's work on that. This offense doesn't have one back on the roster (before adding AA) that can take it to the house if he slips the first tackler. Maybe AA can be that guy.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

danny saw how sproles was getting loose on sunday and that was all she wrote.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

nope

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

1 play drive that end in touchdowns are worse not better than 10 play drives that end in touchdowns. Keeping your defense off of the field is generally a good thing. 1 play drives are good for sports writers because it gives them some drama to write about. 1 play drives are all about superstars. This team has too much focus on superstars. 10 play drives are all about the team. There is not enough focus on the team. The team needs to get better. The team's weakness is on the O line. Everyone on the team should be focused on how to overcome that problem. Yes, the defense too. Defense can work with the O line to prep them for the upcoming opponent.

Posted by: bermudml | September 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey 4th I HOPE you are right, but don't THINK you are...big difference...

Also you don't believe your own babbling either.

My stance this season has been "prove it" long season to go.

But Corny Zorny ain't my style coach. Maybe he can prove me wrong. Maybe....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Funny how the Lions over the Skins became this week's trendy upset special pick. In fact, its sooooo trendy that its reached the point where, if the Skins win, that'd be considered an upset.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 23, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10:

Ma-a-aby. I'd roll with that.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 23, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Is Alridge going to call plays?

Posted by: p1funk | September 23, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Is Alridge going to call plays?

Posted by: p1funk | September 23, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

How's his arm?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 23, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Line up Orakpo over Jansen and ring the dinner bell.

Detroit doesn't have a chance.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

So 4th, you're saying the '09 Redskins, can be like the '07 Giants.

And I caught the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and santa clause in a threesome.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

one thing I don't understand is the Redskins keep taking cornerbacks with mid round draft choices despite the fact the team goes out and signs free agents or uses #1 picks to secure the top 2-3 spots!

meanwhile, that's part of the reason there is very little change of pace depth in the offensive backfield and on the OL.

That #4 pick for Tryon and the #3 pick for Barnes right now are picks that are far from yielding any tangible results for the Redskins in the short term.

And there is a question about how good they will become.

The Redskins could have used a faster back with decent size (hint, not Alridge) or a OT prospect to back up Samuels.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

And there is a question about how good they will become.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Line up Orakpo over Jansen and ring the dinner bell.

Detroit doesn't have a chance.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Matt Stafford should have a fun weekend of picking himself up off the turf.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The lack of big runs has to do with a lack of DOWN FIELD BLOCKING, which actually has show improvement so far this year.

Also I love people who throw around that "OMG he got caught from behind!!!11" Do you guys understand the concept of angles of pursuit. If CP is coming from the G-C gap and angling out towards the sideline, and the corner/DE/Outside LB is running straight downfield to catch him, CP has more ground to cover and would have to have an incredible speed advantage over everyone else. In otherwords, he couldn't just be fast (like say 4.3 - 40 fast like he is) he'd have to be Derrius Heyward-Bey or Devin Hester fast. This is the NFL guys, Even the fastest of WRs, RBs, DBs are only 3-5 TENTHS OF A SECOND (at best) faster than your average linebacker. Sh!t in the NFL there are 300+ lb offensive linemen running sub 5 second 40 times.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 23, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Trung Canidate - Giant Paycheck = Anthony Alridge

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 23, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"how bout we move betts and a 5th for a 2nd rounder you think we'd have any takers? cincy can't be happy with benson.

Posted by: lilhollywood10

You mean Cedric Benson that just busted 141 yards last week and has totaled 217 in two games with a TD. And just for flava added 4 catches for 32 yards. Yeah they are despondent I am sure...

This trade Betts stuff is laughable. Just stop.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

So let me see if Rhino gets the Starting Guard spot, and Montgomery is active as a backup, just who will be inactive so that Aldridge can play?

Posted by: Veretax | September 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Disclaimer: This post may seem contradictory but try and follow.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 23, 2009 4:24 PM |

Well... If you just want a QB to win games, then the one you really want is Shaun Hill

Posted by: alwayswaitingtilnextyear | September 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

... i figure rhino will be active whether he starts or not, if not him another OL, so i still don't understand how Aldridge gets activated, unless one of these:

Mason, Davis, Betts, Marko, Rock is inactive...

Posted by: Veretax | September 23, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

So 4th, you're saying the '09 Redskins, can be like the '07 Giants.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:58 PM

I hope you took pics! They could be worth something!

This is the 2005 NYGiants IF we win @ Detriot. Everyone is picking Detriot to win like they picked us to win in Week 3 '05. We didn't, they did. Championship.

I mean it's too early to abandon ship. If CP26 is on Full Board why can't everyone else get with it? Cuz, you know he'd be the 1st to jump off if it starts sinking by blaming everyone else.

John? You feeling like ChrIs laRry?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10, lets tease out your sports call in like trade proposal further shall we. Lets look at Benson vs Betts H2H in the skins...cough...loss to bengals last season:

Benson
rushing: 21 73 3.5 0 13
Receiving: 3 88 29.3 0 79

Betts:
Rushing: 2 7 3.5 0 6
Receiving: 0 0 0 0

I realize Betts was a back up but still...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Mason won't be active

Posted by: Hammertime44 | September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

edvar, whatever... lol... kinda got a dude with the meds/rage jab..

I think it takes less to make a dependable, serviceable, and consistent linemen then it takes to make a dependable, serviceable, and consistent QB.

QB might be the hardest job to learn in all of sports.

RI Challenge:

Name a position that is harder to learn/master in sports than a NFL quarterback?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Red, I know I am in a deep minority as a hockey fanatic...but Hockey goalie has to be at least close to NFL QB in some regards.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Red, you may be right. I should have picked a better analogy like, maybe "a fast guy with decent hands" becoming a WR.

And the meds joke was just too juicy to pass up. You've got spirit.

Posted by: edvar | September 23, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Finally!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 23, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Speed to the outside gets activated.

I expect the Skins will take out their frustrations on the Lions.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

didn't know benson was doing so well in cincy, was really just tryin to think of a team that has a questionable starter. trade betts may be laughable to you but what good does ladell betts bring the redskins this sunday. f that how bout the last 20 sundays if JC ain't good enough, and CP is too slow now, and the recievers are all too dumb or whatever then why does ladell beets get a pass? because he doesn't do anything bad, how bout he doesn't do much good for us nowadays either. betts and cartwright
"what have u done for me lately?"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

RI Challenge:

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse
The spinning grasshopper (Kame Sutra)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

RI Challenge:

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse
The spinning grasshopper (Kama Sutra)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Look I am not saying trade Betts is laughable b/c I think he is any good, or that he really makes the Skins better. I am saying that no one wants him, his contract is to big and there are better backs on the waiver wire that you dont give up picks/cap hits to get: Dominick Rhodes as one example....I mean Edge James was there for the nabbing just a few weeks ago.

Also if I was looking to trade for a back I'd sniff around Justin Fargas with the raiders.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm with CL on Betts for sure - we would be lucky to get anything for Betts.

But, as I've asked several times here, and maybe I've missed things is - Where does this idea come from that the NFL does big trades mid-season?

It does not happen, folks. For various reasons, too numerous to mention.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 23, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Even though it looks like a typical redskins amateur-hour front office move, losing an OL and signing a RB, I like that they got Alridge. Always thought Mason was a gift to the fans anyway.

Posted by: mack1 | September 23, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I just got off the phone with VC. They're looking real hard at cutting Mason and adding another lineman. League sources are mentioning numerous linemen, too numerous to mention.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | September 23, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope they get 50 linemen.
Or a Wichita lineman.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 23, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I like this move a lot, it's been a long time since the Skins have had a back with this kind of speed. I'm sure he'll be making a concentrated effort not to fumble.

I like his moxie, for his size he doesn't show any fear, he hits the hole hard and fast, and has a fifth gear nobody on this team has. Finally, this team may have somebody who can take it the distance, and give D-co-ordinators nightmares. A.Aldridge I hope you bring it, and good luck to you!

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 23, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

You gotta try this... Rhinehart can just stand in the way (that works on draws) until they find someone else who can pull...remember Mark May?

Posted by: ElYeah | September 23, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Trade Betts for anything equal to or greater than a bag of clean socks.

In fact once DT-Anthony Montgomery is medically cleared, package he and Betts to the Browns for a draft pick (or if we're lucky...for Derek Anderson) since CLE is desperate for D-Line help right now, and could use another back...

Let Rock finish the year returning kicks alongside a rotation of his eventual replacements (Aldridge, Thomas, Mason, whomever), then sign him next season as a special teams coordinator for returners.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 23, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd like Mason to succeed in this league, and he's a good player, but we already have that guy. Two or three of them in fact. Aldridge is a Sproles-type of back I'd love to see what he can do in a game situation . . . as long as that doesn't entail fumbles. His fumble in the preseason was enough to get him cut - but was it enough to cure the bug?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 23, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

And what's with all this Betts-bashing? Remember when Clinton went down? 1,000 + yards? Betts is a good short yardage receiver too.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 23, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Pipe down 4th, I haven't "left the team" I was wearing skins underoos while you were still a zygote."

lol.

Posted by: FudgeDanSnyder | September 24, 2009 2:22 AM | Report abuse

#1: Alridge needs to hold on to the ball. Doesn't matter how fast you run if you're running without the ball.

#2: If the Redskins are going to keep Mason even though he doesn't play special teams, then why keep Ladell? Trade Betts and get something for him while he still has value.

Posted by: tundey | September 24, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse