Band of 4 Will Handle Punt Returns

Punt returns in the preseason opener against the Baltimore Ravens will be by committee, Coach Jim Zorn said.

Antwaan Randle El, the Redskins' primary punt returner the last three seasons, will lead a group of four players vying for the job. Wide receivers Keith Eloi and Marques Hagans and running back Dominique Dorsey also are scheduled to be in the rotation, Zorn said.

The Redskins hope to significantly improve their production on punt returns, and Randle El could be unseated if someone from the group impresses in preseason. Even if Randle El is replaced on punt returns, he would continue to be a big part of the passing game, Zorn said.

...

Vinny Cerrato is ready for some football.

Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, is pleased with the talent the front office assembled and eager for the team to begin its preseason schedule. "I think it'll be like a starting point," Cerrato said. "Then you can move forward and build from here."

Injuries along the offensive line have slowed the group's development, Cerrato said, but the unit should benefit from the preseason schedule. "What you want 'em to do is, you want to keep healthy so you can get the five guys working together to get continuity. That's what you'd like," he said. "With the offensive line, you get a chance to evaluate individuals, and they'll get a chance to work together some, probably not long. Then in the upcoming preseason games they'll get a chance to play more and develop some cohesiveness."

By Jason Reid  |  August 12, 2009; 5:15 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steinberg, on Haynesworth, Hall...and Much More
Next: Holmes Looks for Spot in Crowded Secondary

Comments

4th, I never said Philly would be champs. I said they were the team to beat in the division. It still has to play out.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 12, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'd expect Philly to be better on offense and maybe not so effective as last season on defense.

Then again, I'm not much of a prognosticator.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I still think its a good thing that Rinehart and Bridges have been getting the reps, the film, and the technique critique from the Coach. The timing for that training has been ideal, even if the circumstances creating the opportunity have not been good.

I am READY for one of these non-ARE guys to be a solid punt returner! [And secretly hoping its Hagans ... because Thomas and Kelly seem like they get roster spots assured ... that they have not yet earned ... and if (when) they get hurt again, we need someone around to be the next #5 WR. Btw, Seahawks released Billy McMullen, so he's out there if necessary ... to my knowledge, the authorities have not released Anthony Mix.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

It's a "Gang" of four, not band of four. Sheesh, Cindy, where's the Editrixess when you need her?

Posted by: daggar | August 12, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

"...I still think its a good thing that Rinehart and Bridges have been getting the reps, the film, and the technique critique from the Coach...."

Agreed.

The best thing that could happen is that they--Rhino/Bridges-- both prove to be just as capable or more than capable of maintaining the right side of the offensive line given Thomas'/Heyer injury, ineffectiveness issues.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I half expected Eloi take KOs too. I thought that's how he would make the team.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 12, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Nice little Comcast video with Strawberry Shortcake interviewing Randy Thomas (check out the size of his thighs ... pay no attention to the distraction of her gams). Best quote from Thomas "I think its Stephon's job to lose. He's back, he's better, he's stronger, he's got a better body ... and better hair."

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Band of 4 Will Handle Punt Returns"

Here's my four:

Rick Upchurch
Brian Mitchell
Dante Hall
Devin Hester

Oh, I forgot about the tampering thingy, so I'll drop Hester and add Billy Johnson.

You know, the guy with the white shoes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"threads" ... which are the things that the Mayor, the Cindy, the Tenorio, etc. write at the top of the page.

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 1:28 PM |

WTF! And I always thought threads was jeans and Ts and shti like that.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

whamp whamp

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

my favorite Mel Brooks moment is from History of the World. Not a great movie, but the scene where Moses comes down from the mountain with the 15 commandments -- that one moment is very funny.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:32 PM |

The all time classic cinematic moment has to be when Jim Carrey takes a crap on his annoying neighbor's lawn in "Me, Myself and Irene" and there is the instantaneous switchout to a softee dispenser.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

ARE: The king of the fair catch.

If these guys can't beat out ARE on punt returns then they should pack their bags and go play soccer or field hockey.

By the way, why don't they give Cartwright a spot in the rotation? If he can return kicks, he should be able to return punts.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 12, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

so who is the strawberry shortcake?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

RT on JC's contract year..."Balls out"

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow that is some quality fortune cookie wisdom. Pre-season is the starting point and you build from there.

Vinny Cerrato has been promoted to Captain Obvious

Posted by: CheyenneWY | August 12, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Another classic moment is when Jim Carrey talks out of his ass in "Ace Ventura". If you did a top 5, Carrey would be in 3 of them, at least.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

wow...just wow....both the Pats and Redskins have come out and stated they are not going to sign Vick.

Given his time off, time away from the game, wouldn't it be prudent to get him into camp, into a training program, studying the playbook, wouldn't that make sense EARLIER rather than LATER.....

I don't get it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Let me help you understand since you inject everything that a front office official, coach, or agent says like it's heroin 5.

I mean, its like you never heard of disinformation. Do you recall, oh about a year or so ago? YOUR General Manager, Vinny Cerrato said that they, the Redskins, were not in talks with the Dolphins about acquiring Jason Taylor? Less than 24 hours later, if that long, it was reported that he had been traded for a 2nd and 6th round pick. HELLO! You do remember this don't you?

Greg, it's called reading between the lines and maybe I'm being a little of a conspiracy theorist, but god*amn, I swear when it comes to things like this you're the most gullible person I know on this blog. Everything that the front office, or coaches say what they AREN'T going to do you ALWAYS automatically believe like its coming from the scriptures. Like if they were to make a play for Vick, they'll come out and say it.

Using you logic, because no team has come out directly and expressed interest in Vick, there mustn't be a SINGLE NFL team that's interested. AND if you do believe that, then you're a damn fool!

It's called disinformation, dude. Sports teams HAVE to use it from time to time.

I know you know this s**t. What is it, is Vick to much of a sh**bag to play for YOUR 'skins? Do you not like Michael Vick?

What?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 5:56 PM |

Phew! For a moment there I thought the Wiz had just signed Marbury.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN: "Mexico regrouped after an early goal by Charlie Davies and, thanks to a late strike by Miguel Sabah, kept its American rival winless at Estadio Azteca."

No country for gringos.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Billy Mcmullen supposedly signed w/ Lions yesterday.

Posted by: skinhead62 | August 12, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"ARE: The king of the fair catch."

Amen.

Dude would fair catch with 20 yards of empty space in front of him.

To be honest, given his ability, I'd like to see S Moss returning punts.

But given his value to the team, I doubt that'll happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

For tomorrow, I'd like to see only guys in the 'not a starter' category take the field.

No Campbell, no Portis, no Samuels, no Cooley, no Moss, no ARE, No Albert, no Fletcher, no Daniels, no Landry ... etc.

Lets find out about the younger players and if they can cut it. Colt, Daniels at QB. Glenn and Henson at LB. And all those young OL guys we drafted -- put 'em all in there.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, given his ability, I'd like to see S Moss returning punts.

But given his value to the team, I doubt that'll happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Last year, Moss takes a punt to the house vs DET. 5 minutes later, he pulls a hammy and isn't the same for the rest of the year.

Which is why you don't use your WRs as PR. Too much injury risk.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 6:53 PM

Yeah, Red, but most of the time they use information, not disinformation. And, I'm with Greg on this one -- this is a case of information. 'Skins are not interested in Michael Vick. (Unless learnedhand says they are, of course, because he's right more times than I am).

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, is pleased with the talent the front office assembled and eager for the team to begin its preseason schedule."

Cerrato is on crack. The defense is going to be good but they will not be able to score any points with Campbell on his back so much.

Then if your defense is on the field so much they will get hurt.

Welcome to your 2008 Washington Redskins everyone!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 12, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm not saying that the Redskins are for certain interested in Vick, so if you want to side with you boy Greg, t_e, that's your prerogative, do or think what you feel.

But you CAN NOT tell me that every time, the 'skins say they AREN'T going after someone, it's true. I can't think of every situation where they've said they wouldn't but I can think of two names right off the bat:

Chad Johnson
Jason Taylor

Those names and stories, and how they relate to 'skins acquisitions ring a bell with you and Greg?

When it was alleged that the 'skins were going after these guys, your boy, Greg screamed and stomped on this blog to no end that they weren't. And those who did believe that they were pursuing those guys, they were met with ridicule and mockery from Greg. So when it came out that they were indeed considering Taylor and Johnson, your boy Greg had to eat some egg yolk with a side of crow. Again, they threw out disinformation, to shield their intentions. SPORTS CLUBS DO THIS! ALL THE TIME!

So if you want to believe that the Redskins aren't going after Vick, okay, do so, furthermore, you're are MORE THAN LIKELY right, both you and Greg. But from what I've seen in sports regarding issues like these, it's never completely dismissed with me until he's suiting up for another team.

That's my g-d story and I'm sticking to it, ya dig?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 12, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Chad Johnson
Jason Taylor

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 9:11 PM

They ring not just a bell but a whole carillon of bells. And, I agree that if the 'Skins were interested in Vick right now, they would be denying it. You use the same words for information as for disinformation. I just don't think they've got the cap room for Vick. But, if Greg really is "the most gullible guy on the blog" then I'm at least second so maybe I'm being gulled this time.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Vick makes no sense because of the six game or so suspension? Maybe for a team like the Patriots or the Raiduhs. Not for a team that needs help ... like now.

Posted by: periculum | August 12, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I like what they have done on defense. As fans, we whined about how they haven't addressed the defensive line, no pass rush, etc. They significantly improved their defense (on paper) this offseason. We are deep along the D-line with both young and experienced backups.

Posted by: rickyroge

They've improved the defense, but not by a lot. Significant talent left the building ... Springs, Taylor, Washington and Evans. Though I'm miffed on why Evans was let go, its clear the other 3 guys, while talented, were paid a lot while being hurt too often.

Smoot fills Springs shoes, Daniels and tbd fills Evans and Taylor's shoes. Orakpo fills Marcus's shoes. Unless Orakpo is an instant hit, we'll be modestly less talented at those spots.

But ...

The big difference is Albert -- his entrance outweighs all the departures.

And, there are several young players with upside -- Barnes, Glenn, Henson, Tryon, Moore.

The defense should be very good and yes, you can win a lot of games with a great defense.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Zcezcest...have you been drinking???

Springs can't stay on the field
Marcus Washington can't stay healthy
Demetric Evans????

I smell haterade!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 12, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

One thing that strikes me about the changes on defense -- and it may just be a matter of the timing involved -- is that one thing they did with Demetric (often enough for it to be noticed) is have him line up a DE, but drop back into coverage to let the LB blitz. I would've thought that you could continue to do that, simplify Orapko's assignments and let him run free.
Maybe Daniels did that in the past -- I can't remember that far back -- and I can see that Evans moved on before they knew they were picking Orapko. But I'd feel more comfortable on 3rd down if they get Orapko in the backfield as much as possible.

Posted by: daggar | August 12, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, cload. I want to see Rak in the bakfield as much as possible. If the other ten dudes are taking care of their business, let's turn the kid loose. Lust for mayhem and etc.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 12, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Springs can't stay on the field
Marcus Washington can't stay healthy
Demetric Evans????

I smell haterade!

Posted by: rickyroge

Ricky -- don't oversmell. I did say that Marcus, Springs and Taylor were hurt too much to retain. But they did contribute.

Springs was very good when healthy ... which was 1/2 the year. He was a key in our W against dallas. We'll miss that. Jason Taylor played decent football -- but the expectations were for HOF performance. Evans played all 16, and was one of our better DL.

Talent did leave the building. In total, those 4 guys played a lot of plays last season -- probably somewhere over 2,000 combined plays total -- and at a solid level, for the most part.

Smoot 2009 isn't as good as Springs + Smoot of 2008. I doubt Daniels and tbd 2009 are better than Taylor and Evans 2008. Can't say Marcus was effective very often -- Orakpo could be anything between a bust and brilliant.

Our defense should be better in 2009 because of Albert. But don't think we didn't lose something good from 2008.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 2:06 AM

Springs served us well against Dallas in general because he matched up well with T.O. Now that T.O. and Plax are out of the division, the need for Springs expired. Even still, dude is entering his mid 30s and was on the books for way more than he's worth. I never understood the hate on Hall, he was a Pro-Bowler in Atlanta and EVERYONE plays like crap in Oakland (except Asomugha, of course). The Skins have some problem areas, but CB isn't one of 'em.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm ready for some fooball! Tonight, right? Stay medium! (With everyone on the bench, I'm expecting to stay tepid.)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato has been promoted to Captain Obvious

--MAKE THAT CAPT OBLIVIOUS.

Posted by: oddjob2 | August 13, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

bee bee

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

yes they gave up too much for taylor but they needed help asap when two des went down in practice so it was smart he was just not as good as hoped. vick is a dog at qb and is not worth the time.

Posted by: rls1041 | August 13, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

What did Anthony Mix do? Is he in jail? My username for ESPN has been Anthony Mix since he recovered that kick off in the Seattle game in the playoffs.

Posted by: murphyz | August 13, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Taylor? Evans? Washington?

I'm not sure what team you were watching last year but those guys were NOT special players. Springs was the only one who contributed something that we can't immediately replace; though he was often hurt anyways.

Orakpo is a huge upgrade over Taylor or Evans when playing DE for us. I think he'll be better than Washington at OLB too; considering Washington was hurt so often and his best skill was 'edge rusher'...which happens to be well-covered by Rak. Hall/Rogers/Smoot/Tryon/Barnes at the CB position is a strength of this team. Plus, as brown said, without TO/Plax, Springs won't be nearly as important.

The fact is that we added the best Defensive player in the game (Haynesworth), what looks like the best defensive rookie (Orakpo), have young players who are developing/getting BETTER (Landry, Horton, Moore, Tryon, Golston, Montgomery, Jackson, Blades), and get two veterans back from injury (Daniels & Doughty). We also get D.Hall's ball-hawk skills for the whole year. It's ridiculous to say we aren't as good as last year. We will be MUCH better on defense this year. And don't sleep on Robert Henson either. He was a game-changer at TCU. Good to have him in the talent pipeline.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 13, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

" doubt Daniels and tbd 2009 are better than Taylor and Evans 2008."

Can't agree with that. The D-line was fine against the run but underachieved against the pass. Taylor admitted he was lousy most of the year (it wasn't just elevated expectation). Evans played well in Daniels' absence but if Philip stays healthy, he's the superior player. The addition of Wynn and Jarmon as well as Orakpo can only strengthen the rush, provided they get on the field.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"Springs served us well against Dallas in general because he matched up well with T.O. Now that T.O. and Plax are out of the division, the need for Springs expired. Even still, dude is entering his mid 30s and was on the books for way more than he's worth."

Possibly, but I think he'll make a really good safety.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse