Blache Expected to Take Questions (Updated)

Barring a change in the schedule, defensive coordinator Greg Blache is expected to address the media today in advance of Thursday's preseason opener against the Ravens.
The dominant performance of the defense in camp has Redskins fans talking and I'm really curious to see how Blache plans to blend in Albert Haynesworth, who was so successful at freelancing with the Titans. I guess I just came up with one of my questions for Blache. What would you like to ask him?

...

Practice is underway. Rick Maese says players are not in pads. Devin Thomas has his helmet with him. Maese doesn't see Santana Moss yet but @redskinsblog says he's without helmet. Maese also reports that Jeremy Bridges is on the practice field and adds that "Bugel must feel like it's Christmas today." ... By @Rich_Campbell's estimation, only Alridge and Moss are not practicing at the moment. ...

Agent Joel Segal is on the scene and tells @redskinsblog: "I'm not here for [Michael Vick], I'm here for these guys." Meaning his clients Jason Campbell, D Hall, Landry, & Rob Thomas. Maese says Segal's now watching practice from a tent with Vinny Cerrato. And, Maese tweets, to curb any Vick-Skins speculation for now, I don't think Skins would have Vick's agent negotiating with Vinny in front of reporters. ...

Obligatory update for the Cultists: (via @RickMaese) Colt Brennan put a bounty on his first INT of camp. Looks like he's now in Horton's debt. Horton just picked him off...

JReid reports that, when asked about the possibility of Michael Vick coming to the Redskins, Segal replied: "No. No chance."

By Jason Reid  |  August 11, 2009; 5:53 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Year, Secondary Should Get a Better Jump
Next: Horton Richer, Thanks to C(olt)-Note

Comments

I'd like to ask the first question -- "Aren't you a stupid fool for playing Orakpo at SLB? Orakpo's too stupid to learn a new position in the NFL."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm.... Well first off, I would definitely ask if he is at all concerned with not being able to use big Al's longevity through the season.

Ask about Jamron and his role for the Thursday game.

How much of Orakpo will we get to see??

With the impressive D-line we have and solid DBs, can we expect more aggressive D aka more blitzes??

How has Landry improved since last years camp?

Does he expect to keep Smoot, Barnes and Tyron on the 53 man roster? If no, who out of the three are having the best camp so far....

I have heard a lot about Orakpo... but what about the other LB's fighting for a spot. Find out how Chris Wilson and HB Blades are doing.

Thats all I got...

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 11, 2009 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Ask him if he prefers Unicorns or Rainbows. I'm bedazzling a jean jacket for him and it would be good to get his input.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

I'd ask him for the blueprints to Redskins Park so I can kidnap Snyder and blackmail him into selling the team. Anyone want in?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

careful Brownwood, jokes like that will have the men in shades and dark suits beating your door down! lol

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 11, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not living in the DMV, so if they can find me they can bring it! LOL

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

And here's the Quote of the Day from a buddy of mine referencing this bimbo we work with:

"Chicks like her should never take dicks out of their mouths except to brush their teeth. The sh*t they say is more emabarrassing than walking around with a dick in your mouth, at least people would say 'that looks about right'..."

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

With all due respect to Brownwood and his buddy, here's the QOTD, from the print edition. Darrell Green worked out with Tryon and says, "I'm gonna say that Justin Tryon, if he's given the chance, he's a starter in 2009, 2010 or whenever the opportunity comes," said Green, who said Tryon was like a son to him. "He is definitely qualified to be a starter in the National Football League. I'm putting my reputation on that after being with him for six weeks, seeing what I've seen from him. Hopefully he'll have his chance and be a Redskin for a long time."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

oe, for the win.

Any time you can work the term, 'bedazzling' into a response, thats just high comedy.

nicely played, and before 7 too...

Good article on Tryon working with DG. He's been humbled, just like DThomas, and has responded well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Y'know just the other day I was talking about kidnapping Dan Snyder and Candlejack came up!

I just abou

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

rashad804

Good questions.

I'd add:

What's the liklihood of you using your personnel to go in 3-4,4-3 hybrid looks?

How's Robert Thomas fitting in?

How does Lo Alexander fit into the defensive linemen rotation?

Can a killer defense and mediocre offense exist in the same lockerroom without negativity?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Talent Evaluator/Idiot:

You sir are an idiot. Orakpo is too stupid to learn a new position. Sorry, but your evaluation abilities apparently suck. He was an honors student in both high school and college. If you've ever heard him give an interview (aside from the one he gave to ESPN for that promo), he is very articulate and intelligent.

Posted by: dylanahn | August 11, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Dylanahn, I normally don't call people names, but in this case it's warranted. You're the idiot - TE was being sarcastic, echoing what everyone else said out their buts when the 'Skins drafted Orakpo. TE understands that Orakpo is doing well at both positions in camp and is learning extremely quickly. Next time you might want to look at the context of the remark to see if your initial interpretation is correct.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | August 11, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dylanahn | August 11, 2009 8:16 AM |

Are you sure about this? I heard it from brownwood, repeatedly, that it's too hard for Orakpo to learn a new position his first year in the NFL. He thinks that Orakpo needs "a bicycle with training wheels." Here's what he wrote: "a rookie is gonna have a hard time adjusting the speed of the NFL game. You don't teach a kid to ride a bike by throwing him on a 10-speed Schwinn, you put him on a bike with training wheels and let him work his way up. The Redskins don't have the luxury (or the depth) to bring him along slowly, he needs to be out there wreaking havoc on the QB TODAY."

That's why I think we should get Blache's take on this. I sure hope you're right, though.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Questions? Oh yeah.

1. What's the bs about this being a "redshirt" year for Jarmon? You drafted him based on talent let him play.

2. Will we see what Double L can really do this year? Parking him 25 yds behind the LOS is a waste of talent.

Posted by: bschaef11 | August 11, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

dylanahn,

I believe talent evaluator was using as sarcasm.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

And I believe I am using sentence fragments.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Didn't the Skins learn anything from last years Jason Taylor experiment. If you're gonna get a great player, let him do what he's great at. Don't move him into a position that he's not familiar with. Let him play DE and get after the QB or at least have him play DE when we play against more mobile QB's like McNabb.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | July 31, 2009 6:21 AM |

dylanhan--

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Question:

"Coach Blache, in your opinion, is the defensive line that good or is the offensive line that bad?"

Blache is probably the only guy in the park that would answer that question straight up honest...

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Count me among the one's who side with those who thing TE is an idiot, and not just based on that one post either...I'm talking in general, big picture kind of stuff.....

kidding te.....sort of anyway...

is the Thursday night game on NFL Network?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Sign Vick

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

p1, time to give that a rest, you've made your point, we get it, you want them to sign Vick...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

dylanahn, it's best to lurk for a bit before posting. That way you kind of know the content of the post as it pertains to the blogger. I'm sayin' just a little egg whites and wheat toast for thought, homie.

t_e, I wouldn't even half-ass jokingly come at Blache with that though. Unless you want to spend the rest of your days sucking meals through a straw, ya dig?

brown, careful. that bimbo you're talkin' about may secretly read this blog. LOL... but all too true at the same time. But that doesn't only apply to women either...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

The blog is better because of Talent Evaluator's idiocy. TE vs. Cork is always entertaining. It's like watching Forrest Gump and I Am Sam in a cage match.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

How about, "Coach Blache, do you believe that a single-payer health care system would lead to health care rationing in this country?" And then once he begins answering start screaming as loud as you can.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 11, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

kidding te.....sort of anyway...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 8:38 AM

Being identified as an idiot by someone who invested his entire retirement savings in bonus points is about the same as being called "Democrat" by a Republican.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"Mark Wilson was listed as a TE.
Posted by: zcezcest1"

Not by NFL.com he isn't.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd ask him whether Byron Westbrook is in the mix with Tryon and Barnes. Does he finally have a shot to stick to the 53 this year?

Posted by: LiberalMike | August 11, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 8:45 AM

Hey, I wouldn't do it personally. Do I look as stupid as Truth11? I'm trying to set J. Reid up to do it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I'd also ask him if he anticipates letting Landry spend some time close to the line of scrimmage and blitzing, where he was often disruptive in college and as a rookie strong safety.

Posted by: LiberalMike | August 11, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I would sign vick and trade him for a line.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

life sure has a weird ass sense of humor...

****NBA Post****

Not to being NBA talk into a NFL, more specifically a 'skins blog, (That's subject to capital punishment and what not) but Kurt Rambis is now the coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The same Kurt Rambis who was undercut by Kevin McHale -- who was just recently shown the door by the Timberwolves. But instead of just relieving McHale of his coaching duties and sending him back to the front office, he was jettisoned altogether.

Again, bad karma is such a b****. Who would've thought that after 20 something years later those two would still be linked somehow.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 8:28 AM

I love how you can go back to cut and paste and then completely misread the quote. I never said that Orakpo wasn't smart enough to play multiple spots and nowhere in that excerpt from me did I say that. What I said was that I'd like to see him get acclimated to the DE spot and if you want to move him around once he's mastered that then go right ahead. The Redskins' biggest defensive need going into the offseason was DE. He's a DE. The potential to undo his impact at DE is far greater than any benefit in playing him at LB. That's all I ever said.

It's pretty well documented that you disagree. Fine. But if you're going to fight my position, at least get it right.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"It's okay -- you came in during the middle of the movie. Here is another of those people who don't think Orakpo can learn any new skills, that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. If he didn't play this position at the University of Texas, then he sure can't play it in the NFL. Don't you think it would be a good idea to get Greg Blache's take on it?Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Wow, it's good to know the 'straw man' is still alive and kicking. The problem with spending Orakpo's first camp at SAM has nothing to do with old dogs and new tricks, or whether he's capable of learning. It has to do with the number of new skills he's asked to develop in a short span of time. I'd compare it to the Seahawks drafting Aaron Curry and then insisting he line up at rush end. Curry might eventually be a terrific rusher, but he isn't now, and everybody knows it. Orakpo may at some point be a great run-stopping linebacker, but at the moment... you get my drift.

Blache knows more about defense than we do, so his opinion should carry more weight. On the other hand, those guys on Wall Street knew a lot about stocks and bonds, and looked where their arrogance landed us.

It's a gamble, that's all. I suspect the Skins are just trying to get this very talented guy on the field without benching Andre Carter.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Keep refreshing the entry. Practice has begun.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 11, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

red, that clothesline, back in 1984, was a thing of beauty......to a Celtics fan anyway...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Just a guess obviously, but I don't think we'll see Orakpo at LB very much and most of the time he will be blitzing. He wont be in the nickle (including the 3-safety look we like) unless it's as a DE. We don't play that much straight up 4-3 anymore.

Posted by: LiberalMike | August 11, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Where is Tiff(any)11?

Without her and flound21 the place hasn't been the same. I think flound detested him as much as I did.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

I must admit it was funny as hell.

Especially how Rambis appeared to sit there for a second, as if he were contemplating "Should I whoop his a**? Can I whoop his a**?"

Also gotta say that '84 was a damn good year!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Ask Blanch if he has any new cool package nicknames this year, Last year we had "cobra". This year any others? Copperhead, Python, Anaconda, Rattlesnake?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Coach Blache,
Hi, Jason LaCanfora here from NFL Network. Quick question: can you help me fix my Hall of Fame players list? The other guys at the station laughed at me and I wet myself in my embarrasment. Also, your defense seems so good that it's actually bad, don't you think?"

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

For the curious, on Mark Wilson, the tackle the Skins drafted in 2004, 5th round: a big tackle who spent last season on injured reserve at Oakland after a training camp injury (we know about those). Had a stop in Minnesota, too. Big guy, 6'7", 320 lbs, but wasn't able to impress Bugel.

Mookie Moore, the big guard the Skins drafted in 2000, had stops in Denver and Atlanta and has been OOL since 2005.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"had "cobra". This year any others? Copperhead, Python, Anaconda, Rattlesnake?
Posted by: alex35332"

"Hamstring"

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Blache,
Mike Sellers expressed last year that a butt burglar was at fault for at least one offensive player's performance. Any thoughts on whether this affected the D-fense last year, and if so, how have your guys adjusted?

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Coach Blache, "What's your personal over-under on how many weeks until the Skins sign Vick?"

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 11, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Samson--LOL, except I think that's a formation that the O is using.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Here's a Question: Can we see more of Laron up by the line, and more movement before the snap for blitzes.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Coach Blache, "Do you plan on interviewing for the Skins head coaching vacancy in a few months?"

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 11, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

GreatOne,
that sounds an awful lot like a Ravens defense to me. And I would not be unhappy with that AT ALL.

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Coach Blache,

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:07 AM

Funny stuff

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

GreatOne,

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:18 AM

Yeah thats what I am hoping for, We have the personnel to pull this off. We have Multiplt D-line packages, Multiple LB sets, and we all know we have multiple DB sets. We have some many confusing sets to throw at offenses this defense could be scary if played right.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"A starter in the NFL? This would be bad news for everyone up here who spent last year bashing Tryon and Vinnie for drafting him.Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Yeah, he has a lot of potential. Fast, for one thing. And strong.

And short.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to hear Blache's session with the media today. Out of anyone affiliated with the Redskins's FO and coaching staff he is the one person who has the balls to give an honest straight up answer without sugar coating it, or with cliched BS coach speak. He tells it like it is, a rarity in most arenas these days.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 8:58 AM

Couldn't say it any better than that (and haven't).

Wait for T_E to go apesh*t on you now since you don't agree with his almight assessment...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, he has a lot of potential. Fast, for one thing. And strong.

And short.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 9:23 AM

Just like his mentor -- same height as Darrell Green.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

brownwood - re: Quote of the Day - your buddy works with Sarah Palin?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

TE and brownwood, remember too that Matt Mosely of espn's nfc east blog fame also has been ripping the 'skins decision to move Orakpo to a hybrid LB/DE - he thinks the guy should just be rushing every play from the DE position. So count him as another who'll have egg on the face if this goes right for the 'skins.

Also, I am curious about what Andre Carter thinks of this move with Orakpo, since he himself went through something similar with the 49ers before he came to the 'skins (where they tried to make him into a hybrid). I know he didn't like it and always wanted to be an every down DE. Wonder what he thinks of all this?

Posted by: hithere1 | August 11, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 9:22 AM

You're right. Blache has more versatility and talent now than he's ever had, so it'll be interesting to see how he uses it. Still haven't seen that three-safety "Cobra" formation yet. Hoping they put in Madden 10.

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Coach,

"Do you prefer your defense this year to kick A$$ and take names or are we going to a take numbers based approach this year? And how much will the teams chewing of bubble gum or being out of bubble gum effect said A$$ kicking?"

" And a follow up coach, Larry Michael just took your last miller light with out asking!"

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Question: Are we seeing a good defensive front because the Skins offensive line is weak or is our defense that good?

Posted by: abxinc | August 11, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 | August 11, 2009 9:37 AM

That's different...Carter HAD to be a hybrid in a 3-4 because he's far too small to play DE in that base defense. In nickel and dime formations, he'd play DE. In the 3-4, he played OLB. And that has been part of my issue with the Skins doing it to Orakpo. If we ran a 3-4 here, I would LOVE Orakpo as an OLB. I could envision him having impact like Lamar Woodley in Pittsburgh. But we run a 4-3. And I just don't see why you make that move if you don't have to.

And I read that Mosely column you're talking about and I seem to recall agreeing with much of it. I just don't get why you would take a potentially elite player at your biggest area of need and play him somewhere else.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Updated: August 11, 2009, 9:32 AM ET
Report: Vick drawing interest
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

At least five NFL teams have quietly shown interest in signing Michael Vick, The Washington Post reports, citing several people familiar with the deliberations.

"I don't know where he's gonna end up ... I can't tell you which teams, but I know there's at least five," a person familiar with the situation said on condition of anonymity, the newspaper reported.

It has been two weeks since commissioner Roger Goodell conditionally reinstated Vick, whose 23-month sentence for bankrolling a dogfighting ring ended last month.

The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, who has missed the last two seasons, is free to join a team for training camp and practices. Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19) at the latest.

Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, who is now serving as Vick's adviser, said on a nationally televised preseason game Sunday that Vick has spoken with several NFL teams and that he believes Vick will be signed before training camp ends.

During Sunday night's NBC broadcast of the Hall of Fame Game, Dungy said, "I've talked to quite a few coaches who want to get my thoughts on where [Vick] is."

While Dungy said he wasn't sure if Vick is in football-playing shape, a person familiar with the situation said Vick is in very good condition after training with with speed coach Tom Shaw, the Post reported.

While several teams have gone on record as saying they're not interested in Vick, others have indicated they have not ruled out signing him.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Posted by: abxinc | August 11, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:38 AM

I just hope they show some more imagination with the plays in Madden 10...last year's game didn't have reverses or HB option plays in ANY play book! It was like Joe Gibbs 2.0 was calling plays for the entire NFL!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Questions for Blache other than the normal "how are the rookies doing" kind of questions:

How do you think this defensive line would do against a real offensive line?

Did you want the team to pick Orakpo as a linebacker, defensive end, hybrid or did you just not want the team to pick Orakpo?

Do you think Landry could get some reps at strong safety this season with Kareem Moore playing free safety?

If you had to pick today, who would be your nickel back?

Why don't you reach out more to former Redskins greats like Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Wilber Marshall - guys like that who were on Super Bowl teams and know what it takes to win?

If Zorn were fired halfway through the season, could you see yourself as the head coach?

Could you be a defensive coordinator under another head coach - like Shannahan for instance?

If you were the offensive coordinator, what is one change you would make to the offense?

If you could take one player - active or inactive, Redskin or not - that you would want your players to emulate, who would it be?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Imagine Vick in Indy playing with Manning. put them both back in shotgun formation. Scary

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah right. There are 5 teams interested in Vick. I'm confident the Redskins have a role in the Vick chase some how.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The more they deny, it's like they'll try....

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

How do you think this defensive line would do against a real offensive line?

What is the Redskins offensive line...imaginary??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Imaginary Playmates

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles are dropping like dead flies. Hank Baskett got carted off the field with a knee injury.

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2009 9:49 AM

I'd take that bet. I'm actually coming to the dark side on that whole "sign Vick" thing. I'd be surprisingly OK with it at this point and here's 5 reasons why:

LT-Samuels
LG-Dockery
C-Rabach
RG-half dead Randy Thomas
RT-Heyer

You almost don't need an O-line with Vick. Dude never stays in the pocket anyway. And as much as I love JC, he's got to go for like 4,000 yards and 40 tds to keep his job, and we all know that won't happen. At least with Vick you get a guy in his prime who is a dynamic player and not 68 year-old career backup Todd Collins or too-green-for-primetime Colt "I Was Named After The Dude From 'The Fall Guy'" Brennan. Pair that offense with a kicker once the drive stalls out inside the 20 because Vick can't actually PASS the ball, and you've got a decent offense instead of the currently dreadful one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

If getting a knee injury means more time with Kendra, then he's a happy guy...eagles are hard hit this pre-season no doubt. I saw a quick thing on ESPN that Kevin Kolb got hurt as well....are those guys practicing on concrete or something??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Another Eagle takes a cart ride
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2009 9:46 AM ET
In hindsight, Eagles president Joe Banner probably wishes that he hadn't boasted about the quality of the team's pre-camp roster, with the fate-tempting qualifier "assuming everyone is healthy and standing at the end."

The Eagles have since had the most serious and potentially serious injuries of any NFL team.

The latest guy to take a ride on a cart not used for hauling golf clubs? Receiver Hank Baskett, per Sheil Kapadia of philly.com.

Kapadia has tweeted that Baskett went down with an injury, grabbed his knee, wanted to the tent with trainer Rick Burkholder, and then rode off in the front seat of a cart.

Stay tuned

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 11, 2009 9:57 AM

It's payback for the Body Bag Game, no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I was in the club over the weekend and the dj played that nelly song " drop down and get your eagle on" the funny part is when they said drop down and get your eagle on like 4 people in the club tore their ACL's and fell, and a 5th person rolled their ankle.

Weird

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"he's got to go for like 4,000 yards and 40 tds to keep his job"

Couldn't disagree more with this. He's got to improve, no doubt, get his passer rating up, throw for more than 20 TD's, but what you suggest is just foolish.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

Good point about the 3-4 system the Niners ran with Carter, I had forgotten about that. Still, Carter did not like it and one of the reasons he wanted to leave was that he felt he was an every down DE.

Interestingly, Orakpo and Carter have almost identical physical stats according to ESPN:
Orakpo - 6'4" 260, Carter - 6'4" 253.

Why convert Orakpo to a hybrid in a 4-3 defense? Before jumping to the conclusion that the defensive coaches are idiots, let's entertain why they might want to do that. Flexibility in the defense? Ability to throw lots of looks around while always having the best athletes on the field? Those would be the start of some of my guesses.

And I still wonder what Carter thinks about this, since they are close to the same size and he went through something like this (in a different defensive scheme).

Brownwood, do you want this Orakpo experiment to fail? Or do you think it could work, and hope it does?

Posted by: hithere1 | August 11, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

If Vick were signed, teams that would make most sense are:

Cleveland - Them being the NFL's DPG

Oakland - 'cause Al Davis runs things

Cincinnati - their track record of employing guys with records

Dallas - they gave the Pacman a chance; why not Vick?

Washington - the 'skins are used to the negative PR because of the name Redskins. What's a little more gonna hurt. (What's a good name for racist dog murdering supporters?)

Pittsburgh - Both Vick and Tomlin are from Bad News. He'll get some Tidewater love.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

They can bring in Plaxico too for the Warwick Blvd trifecta.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

reddmv

I know this is off topic, but the other day you posted about how good "The Wire" was in relation to anything else on tv the past couple of years.

Thing is, I got caught up in the show all over again as my daughters, ages 19-16, finished seasons 1 and 2, and are now watching season 3.

Even when you know the show, it's like it's a flame and you're a clueless moth.

They too wonder how a program with the depth of character, analysis, and verisimilitude gets a short life on HBO while some others are given a long time to fail at what "The Wire" succeeded in every Sunday night.

Sorry to go off topic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know how much time the redskins first team offense will spend on the field Thursday night?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

There's a first team offense?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 | August 11, 2009 10:04 AM

In case you've missed the verbal war between T_E and I, yes...I'm on record saying that I hope my assessment is wrong and that Orakpo truly DOES fill two holes for us. But I have seen too many failed Redskin experiments that seemed so much more fool-proof than this. So I think it's possible that it works, but I doubt it.

And my take has NOTHING to do with Orakpo's intelligence. It has EVERYTHING to do with the Redskins consistently taking a good thing and screwing it up.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to go off topic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The Wire was an excellent series, it was a shame it had to end. HBO did it with Carnivale as well, killed it before it was time. That was a good series as well. True Blood is good, as well as Dexter on Showtime.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 11, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

HBO's best series I always thought were the ones that ended short lived due to costs and whatnot. John Adams and Rome are my 1-2.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"For those who do listen, did anyone catch what Tony Dungy had to say about Vick on Mike & Mike this morning?Posted by: RedDMV"

I did. Don't recall much different than what you've read, however. Vick's going to sign somewhere, and soon. Could be that all they had to do was wait until players started getting hurt in camp. Then teams would start looking for excuses to sign him, rather than not to sign him.

Now that decision is about over, the question becomes: what do you do with him? Vick was a successful NFL QB, but there the similarity to guys like Manning and Brady ends. He doesn't play QB like anyone else, ever. I've heard him compared to Steve and Vince Young, but Vick was a whole other magnitude faster than those guys. His height's an issue: remember Theisman opining on TV that Vick ran around so much because he couldn't see over the linemen? Some truth in that.

Y'know, if he's lost some of that speed, it might actually make him a better QB. He'd still be short, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Long article about JCamp17....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Why convert Orakpo to a hybrid in a 4-3 defense?"

My guess is that this won't be a traditional 4-3 defense much longer. Blache has already admitted to the freedom that will be allowed to Albert Haynesworth, which will deviate from last year's scheme. Additionally, last year he often incorporated the "cobra" packages which are already famous on this blog, which naturally upends the traditional front 7. And in a game towards the end of last season, Blache had essentially played a 3-3 with a roamer (with Jason Taylor as the utility man), along with 3 CBs and 1 safety.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but you could see a lot of similarities to the Ravens with this defense coming this year. The Ravens' base formation is essentially a 3-3 with a utility-man (Terrell Suggs played that role). For simplicities sake, it's often said that Baltimore uses a 3-4, but that's not strictly true in a traditional sense. Also like the Redskins, the Ravens generally play a 1-deep safety, 'center-fielder' type (obviously, that's Ed Reed), with the other safety playing in the box or on the blitz. They often use multiple different looks at the front with their big guy, Haloti Ngata, who shifts along the entire line, from LDE to NT to RDE (we've already heard whispers of this being implemented with Haynesworth). And clearly, they have the consummate motivational and intelligent leader at the MLB spot in Ray Lewis. I can easily see those 4 roles being replicated by Orakpo, Landry, Haynesworth, and Fletcher.

While I don't think it will be exactly the same, I think you will end up finding a lot of similarities between the two when it's all said and done. At least, that's what my hope is.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame that The Wire was cut short the way it was, while some shows, like this seasons Entourage is still on. When did Entourage get so damn cheesy, predictable, and just plain corny?

People have a problem with the truth. The Wire was, and still is the truth. It gives incredible insight to what many of us prefer to turn a blind eye to.

I just downloaded all five seasons. I'm telling you that show rocks out from the opening episode "The Target" to the closing one "-30-". Best season is season three, season two is kind of underrated.

"Boris, why always Boris?"

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Well I can't beleive my very best friend Mr.Moe likes and thinks "The Wire" has merit. Having said that, I think "The Wire" was one of the best TV shows of the last decade. Well written, well produced, and the acting was just so suberb that it was downright scary. It was in my opinion right on par with "The Sopranos" which I thought was stellar also.

It is and was a downright travesty that "The Wire" was ignored by mainstream America, media, and the award shows. It deserved just as much acclaim as "The Sopranos" and other so called succesful dramatic shows and series of recent fame.

Why was it ignored and not embraced as it should have been? It was mainly about the Black underclass in inner-city Baltimore with an emphasis on the drug trade, albeit seen through the prisms of law enforcement, local politics, labor, and lastly, the local media. Not as romanticized and accepted in mainstream media and the heartland as the Italian mafia. All I can say is the writers, the producers, the directors, and the amazing acting crew conspired and produced some POWERFUL stuff. "The Wire" is and was art at a high level and it is a shame that it was not rightly recognized as such.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The Wire is The Truth? The Truth is The Wire? Was The Truth cancelled? Is that why he hasn't posted for a while...?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The wire was only written to be as long as it was. Dude-Simon, wanted to specialize each season in 4/5 different aspects and he did...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I forgot that Plax is still out there and is also from Tidewater VA. The Steelers would have their big WR Big Ben wants, and they'll have slash 2.0.

And they'll have Tomlin putting their asses in check every step of the way if they get out of line. The Steelers are a football family indeed.

Vick always sort of reminded me of Cunningham more than either Steve (who was also kind of short) or Vince Young.

I remember that one year when Cunningham played in Minnesota, to me that was the best that I seen him play. Why? 'Cause he had Randy Moss on one side, Carter on the other, and Jake Reed in the slot.

Give Vick some damn targets, and he'll do fine. Or at least better than what most would expect.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

4th is right, Simon, the series creator never intended it to go any longer. HBO had nothing to do with it. Deadwood however, another great show, was ended prematurely by HBO's greed and incompetence.

Posted by: mack1 | August 11, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"...There's a first team offense?"

Yeah, it's the unit of the team that has the long snapper, 2 gunners, and Hunter the Punter.

Well, it's on the field as much as the unit featuring CP, Cooley, and C Samuels, so why not give it props?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:48 AM

No chance of that...I remember him skipping passes to open receivers dating back to college. He's got an amazing arm (or at least he did) and is an awesome runner but he's not very accurate with the ball. It's no coincidence that Roddy White is a Pro-Bowler now that he's playing with a REAL QB after being prematurely labeled a bust when Vick was in Atlanta.

Vick's asset is his legs. That's why he's perfect for the Wildcat. He's more accurate than a RB and has great arm strength. Just don't ask him to stand in the pocket and read a defense. Not gonna happen.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

RE: The Offense

This is good, this is good - expecations are being set appropriately. Any positive signs of life on the part of the offense will be cause for rejoicing and predictions of a super bowl season now.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Red,

If you remember though, Cunningham in Minnesota, was much different than Cunningham in Philly. He became a very good pocket passer in Minnesota, and as soon as he got rid of that tuck and run all the time philosophy, he had his best year as a QB. Vick however, is not a pocket QB, not saying he couldnt switch it up later in his career and do what Randall did though.

One problem with that:

Randall Cunningham: 6'4
Mike Vick : a generous 6'0(probably more like 5'11) Hard to be a pocket passer being that small.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 11, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

My question for Coach Blache:

How badly would it impair your D-line rotation if Lorenzo Alexander was moved back over to become an offensive lineman again?

[And is Anthony Montgomery showing the chops to step up to Lozo's role in the D-line rotation if Lozo were taken out?]

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

How do you think this defensive line would do against a real offensive line?

BeantownGreg1 wrote:
What is the Redskins offensive line...imaginary??

BeantownGreg1,
The offensive line the defense has been facing for the last week is only about two fifths of what is intended to be the starting lineup. The team is taking it easy on Thomas, Samuels had his knee drained and Heyer was out with a knee sprain. So, I can't peg whether the defensive line is really as good as it is being made out to be, or they are just shining against inferior talent.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Vick as Punt Returner! That would make the 1st team offense really work.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

72redskins

"It was mainly about the Black underclass in inner-city Baltimore with an emphasis on the drug trade,..."

Not to open a can o' worms, but you're on the mark.

The emphasis on the 'McNulty' (played by British actor Dominic West) character came about after focus groups told HBO suits that the show was too 'black'.

The same focus group effect ruined the true story of Frank Lucas in 'American Gangster'.

Frank Lucas says all the cops were just as corrupt as he.

There was no heroic, crusading lawyer/cop (played by Russell Crowe) trying to end the drug trade. That character was created to get the film made as Ridley Scott had trouble financing a majority black acted film designed for the mass market.

Sorry to go off topic, again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that a team that 1) runs the west coast offense, 2) is coached by a former QB and highly regarded teacher of the position, 3) was totally inept on offense and lacked scoring, 4) has a depleted O-Line, 5) has a old backup, and 6) is Vick's hometown team CANT find a place for him.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

To my mind, there are two teams whose fan bases would immediately forgive and forget any past transgressions of Michael Vick in exchange for present improvegressions at the QB spot: Vikings and Broncos.

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I give David Simon his props, an excellent writer who showed the ugliness, grittiness, and the beauty of the inner city, with, "The Corner", and "The Wire". I wonder, does anyone know of any other projects up his sleeve? The book, "The Corner", is an excellent read, yes of course better, than the series.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 9:38 AM
---------------------------------------------

I dropped out of Madden Nation after it's pinnacle in 2004 (besides the LBs who could catch anything within 20 feet of them, and an unstoppable Mike Vick, that game was perfect.), but you could recreate the Cobra by modifying the 46 defense in various playbooks.

Technically, the 46 has 8 men in the box with the safety playing center field, which is exactly what Landry does. Sub two safeties for LBs and you have the 'Cobra'.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"How do you think this defensive line would do against a real offensive line?"

Better question:

How would this offensive line perform if it went back to its roots as a run-first, play-action pass second scheme?

Perhaps the offensive lines issues are the result of Mr. Zorn using 5 and 7 step drop passing plays, when bootleg, play-action of the stretch, and screen passes are more apropos.

The redskin offensive linemen are essentially maulers, so why not just attack teams with a two-headed running game (Portis-Betts) and pass once teams move a safety up?

Those are the questions I'd ask.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Question:

When they ship styro-foam, what do they pack it in?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Do all these Vick fans not get that we live in the city where 99% of the things that happen have to be looked at from a political point of view?

Do you not get that it would be mentioned on every sunday talking head show and 100% of that coverage would be negative?

Do you never go downtown? Do you never notice that there is someone protesting something 365 days a year in this city?

Vick in DC would be a circus of crazy

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Here's a team in trouble.

"The Denver Broncos-Brandon Marshall saga has taken another turn. Today, the NFL mandates that each team release a depth chart and Denver's has an interesting revelation at wide receiver. After missing all but the first two days of full-squad workouts, Brandon Marshall has fallen out of the starting lineup. The team’s top three receivers are listed as Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley and Jabar Gaffney, which should come as no surprise to anyone who has watched training camp. Marshall, the team’s top receiver the last two years, is on the second-team, listed behind Gaffney."

I'm trying to guess how many passes Eddie Royal would have caught last year if he hadn't had Marshall on the other side. Not as many, I'll wager.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | August 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

That really depends on Vick. Will he come back as a WR, or will he come back as a QB. I think if he said, 'I'll play any position for any team willing to give me a chance', then I think we put El up for a draft pick and sign Vick to play WR.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Moe your right about "American Gangster", after watching the film your left scratching your head asking, "Was that about a successful drug dealer in Harlem, or a successful undercover NYPD narc?"

It should have been titled, "American Gangster/Cop".

In "The Wire" I liked McNulty and emphathized with his personal life and admired his proffessional gusto. The actor did an amazing job. Would the show have been just as successful without him? We'll never know. One thing, it didn't elevate it to mainstream acceptance and recognition.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Hit refresh for latest on Vick...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Here's a team in trouble...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

And all because the QB blew up when he found out they were 'looking at other options'. We could be in the same situation if JC had tiny man marbles.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

One more blurb, this time on the Steelers. They're still having o-line difficulties.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers, thin at center due to two injuries, have signed former Arizona Cardinals center Alex Stepanovich."

"Justin Hartwig has been bothered by a toe injury since training camp started July 31, and Darnell Stapleton is expected to be out for several weeks following left knee surgery. Stapleton, who began camp as the starting right guard, was the backup center last season."

"The 6-foot-4, 296-pound Stepanovich was a fourth-round draft pick by the Cardinals in 2004 and spent three seasons with them before playing for Cincinnati in 2007 and Atlanta in 2008. He has played in 46 NFL games, making 34 starts."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 11, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to go off topic, again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 11:04 AM

To continue to go off topic but stay on topic. Inaccuracies:

John Adams, the HBO series had plenty of inaccuracies. A special just came on about THE REAL John Adams. He was waaaaaay more religious then HBO showd.

And why did a Bmore Hood Series have so many DC area hood people? The wire featured many residents of PG/DC, including the 'Ghetto Prince'....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

4th, Probably, simply because they were better actors, I don't think it really mattered where they were from. Was there some type of stipulation that the entire acting cast had to come from the actual streets of Baltimore? Sort of unrealistic and wouldn't make much sense. I think not.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Fair point about D.C. being a political town - but aren't the Redskins one thing that transcends politics? (At least according to Jeff Bostic)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

ETrod, u funny.

Methinks Brandon Marshall ends up with the GiAnts by the second preseason game.

I like the idea of a hybrid 3-3 defense. You guys need to relax and let Blache figure out if Orakpo can play at LB. And while he's figuring it out, remember that everybody gets beat once in awhile. Don't take the first pass completed to a TE and say "See?! I told you!".

If the offense keeps throwing that route over and over again, that's a good sign he can't play. NFL coordinators are like Alaska's rivers: merciless. If you have a weakness they'll exploit it.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 11, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Better question:

Those are the questions I'd ask.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 11:11 AM

Amen, Moe. I think the big reason for the 2nd half collapse from last year was Zorn trying to implement more of his stuff instead of sticking with what worked. In that sense, he's the anti-Gibbs. Gibbs came in and did it the Air Coryell way, saw it didn't work with that roster and changed to the smashmouth style we all know and love. Zorn comes in, plays with what he's got and then pulls the round object from the round hole and promptly jams it into the square hole. Let's hope we see more of what made this team 6-2 last year (sans the home upset loss to the Rams, of course).

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

4th,

Yes there were some inaccuracies in John Adams, having not seen the special I can't comment on the details. But in regards to the series, I don't think that they were trying to say Adams was not religious, but just chose not to focus on it.

Though the religious beliefs of many founding fathers has been long debated, and the truth distorted by many sides for political reasons, I tend to believe what I think is a majority opinion that most of the founding fathers were deists.

On the Wire:
My understanding is that much of the Wire was supposed to be about DC at one point and not Baltimore, the creator was and is a Washingtonian.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"The Wire" was way more than just a "Hood" series, but then it's exactly your way of thinking that kept it from the mainstream acceptance and recognition that it deserved.

Was "The Sopranos" just a northern NJ mafia "hood" series?

In totality, NO.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 11:27 AM

Yes it does. And the Republicans do a great job relaying that message, unlike those socialist democrats.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It should have been titled, "American Gangster/Cop".

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:14 AM

Actually, it should have been called "American Snitch". I can't recall another great mobster flick where the main character ends up turning snitch and still going to jail. Not exactly the ending that'll immortalize you in rap songs for generations...

I know Ray Liotta turned snitch in "Goodfellas", but just about all his boys died first and I don't think he did jail time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I think the redskins transcended politics 20 years ago, but we have no proof of that since 91.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I was not a fan of Zorns play calling at the end of the season, but I put myself in that position and I say, 'What could I have done?'

I take stock:

-None of my WRs are over 6ft (or physical)
-My field stretcher is nicked
-My slot receiver (El) is my #2
-My Oline can't run block
-My Oline can't pass block
-My RBs are all hurt

Without access to the game film (where would one find that, anyway?) I'm not sure I can beat up Zorn too bad (though I admit I did at the time).

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
I'd ask those questions of Zorn, but the article was about questions for the defensive coordinator. I'm with you on the smashmouth approach, however. BUT, would this group of guys even make it with a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense? The knock against Heyer is he cannot run block very well. He sacrifices leverage by letting his butt get too high. Pre-groin injury, Williams wasn't getting it done whether the play was run or pass. I think, even in a run first offense, right tackle would be a problem area. All of this conversation is moot anyway, because Zorn won't significantly change his west coast offense playbook.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

In full disclosure.....The REAL J Adams series was backed by a religious group....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26, that observation is true also.
I didn't think much of "American Gangster", it was too all over the place for me. Trying to please as big a box office demographic as possible and pretty much became a mismash of everthing, and then nothing.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

4th, when you mentioned "Ghetto Prince", are you talking about the one dude who met with Stringer Bell in the truck? I believe his line was: "I know a club in Oxon Hill that'll wreck y'all."

McNulty was a great character in that show, and yeah it may have been only intended to go on for 5 seasons, but the show was great. Although with the basis of that show it is never-ending.

As long as you have the the drug trade, you'll have crime. As long as you have crime you'll have police. As long as you have police, you'll have corruption....

------------------------------------------------------------------

brown, we'll disagree on whether Vick would be better with decent receivers. As you may, or may not recall Roddy White has only been in the league for about 3 or 4 seasons. And you know about the development of receivers, right? White's success has little to do with him NOT catching passes from Mike Vick, if any at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------

alex, who cares whether this is a political town or not. If we were in Buttf***, Egypt; there would still be Vick detractors. Like I said the name Redskins brings controversy alone, so what if Vick was signed and it'll bring negative PR, what else is new?

I'm not sure where you're employed, but I doubt if it's for the 'skins PR staff. What's it to you if they get negative PR? As long as they think he can win games for them, in turn satisfying the fans, what's the problem with that? Besides, I can think of plenty of worse acquisitions they've made, or can make.

Contrary to what many of you believe, signing Vick would not bring on the apocalypse.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

*********************
Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 11:34 AM

EXACTLY. Have you seen the BET series 'American Gangster' where they feature Frank Lucas? He snitched not once, but 2x!

The 1st time he snitched was on the Police, which reduced his sentence, he then snitched on peeps in the game to get his time reduced. Then, he got caught wit some small amount of herion and went back to jail.....

I don't think Denzel should have lowered himself to do that role. Smack was wack before crack was even a thought. If you step back and look at it, he destroyed a lot of lives. Ofcourse the thing is....If he didn't do it, the next man would step and do it....A reason for the deadly hood cycle...

Cat in the Hat, use to do SMACK, now he does crack, can't get back.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Ghetto Prince = Big G

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ey has anyone heard of a potential Brandon Marshall trade??? A friend of mine back in Richmond said they heard on the radio that the skins are pushing for a trade... something that would involve ARE and a draft pick....

What is funny is that Denver used OUR 4th round pick to get him... ironic

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 11, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Red,
No way I could ever work for the skins PR staff, I am a terrible brown nose and I think that does not cut it with Danny Snyder. But I have written my share of press release's in my day, so I do know PR. If you want to look at these things from a pure football perspective then your right who cares. But the NFL and the Redskins have to operate within a sphere that has to deal with the outside world. This league has been about Marketing over football for the past 40 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld wrote:
I take stock:

-None of my WRs are over 6ft (or physical)
-My field stretcher is nicked
-My slot receiver (El) is my #2
-My Oline can't run block
-My Oline can't pass block
-My RBs are all hurt

I get what you are saying, but there are changes that can be made to any offense to compensate, somewhat, for a deficiency. My beef with Zorn last year was he didn't make any of those changes:

He could have run a lot more two tight end sets but he elected not to with "Sleepy" Davis. He left him riding the pine instead of being in there helping a right tackle with blocking or sneaking into the flat.

He could have lined up a backfield of Sellars and Cartwright and pounded defenses by splitting their carries, but instead he elected to sign Sean Alexander and let Portis limp through those last games.

He did have a tall wide receiver in Devin Thomas but elected to use him only sparingly, even when he could have been used as a deep threat decoy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the season would have ended any better if Zorn had made these changes, but a fan wants to know that the coach has the adaptability to respond to changes in his lineup. You always try to maximize the use of the tools you have, and I just don't think Zorn did that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

If you're really interested in the characters behind The Wire, you should check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire

If you look to the right on that page, they list the characters of the show. You'll be surprised how many of the main characters are from the DMV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Frank Lucas didn't snitch at the end of American Gangster. How could he give anyone up, when he WAS that dude? He told on those who probably had it coming anyway.

There's a difference between snitching and telling. Henry Hill was a snitch.

Those mobsters he told on wanted his downfall. In the movie they were testifying against him anyway. those cops he told on were greedy and corrupt anyway -- they had it coming.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Actually, 4th, what I've heard more recently is that President Obama is a Nazi - so they've graduated from Socialism.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

PFT reporting the same trade regarding Brandon Marshall, EL and a 5th to the Bronco's for BMarsh....gonna be announced later today......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

in these trying economic times,

if a plumber's job can go down the drain,
and a policeman jobs gone faster than a bullet,
and a firefighter job goes up in smoke
does a hooker get laid off or is she just screwed?

I thought you guys might need a little lighter post to ponder over...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Cat in the Hat, use to do SMACK, now he does crack, can't get back.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 11:45 AM

4th I see you going ol school today

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

What do you get when you basically stop teaching civics classes in public schools. People cant tell weather someone is a fascist, socialist, communist or capitalist. Some times I wonder if that was the plan all along.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------------

All true, but I couldn't help remembering the adage about try to polish a turd.

In all fairness, however, it is very difficult to make an about face mid season. I look back to Gibbs II, where '04 was horrible, and then in '05 he had noticeably updated his playbook and we went into the playoffs with 3/4ths of a QB.

I am hoping that Zorn likewise learned from last year and can start a new approach this year.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the homie Slim Charles. Sorry, I don't listen to go-go like that.

alex, all I'm saying is, if that from a football aspect, if the commissioner Roger Goodell says he'll sign Vick, then how could it hurt the NFL's image.

I got two names for you: Donte Stallworth and Leonard Little. If one of those two are still able to collect paychecks from the NFL, then how in the hell is the NFL THAT worried about image.

Get sauced and get behind the wheel and kill someone, no one gives a damn. Kill a couple of friggin' DOGS but act arrogant and don't fess up immediately, lets burn him at the stake. Go figure...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Randle-El and a fif for Marshall. That would be an absolute steal for us.

I don't buy it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

You all are missing the point of American Gangster. (A) It's a true story, and (B) it's an anti-drug film, designed NOT to glorify the 'gangster' as a persona worth emulating, writing rap songs about, or anything else of that nature -- but to diagram the dynamics between a Harlem drug kingpin, the surrounding environment, and the NYPD, both corrupt and clean, from rise to fall.

Whether or not the guy 'snitched' ot 'told' is irrelevant, and focusing on that point misses the entire scope of what the movie was getting at.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

greg--"Made you look." I can't believe I didn't read who the poster was before clicking on PFT. Duh.

PFT also reporting that Redskins have decided that Orakpo is so good at SLB that they will leave him there every play. Wow, that seems like a big mistake to me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Snyder does not allow the Vick thing to die down.Hes really got it for Campbell. Vick is an average quarterback Atlanta was going to replace anyway. We all know that San Diego reaped the better end of the Vick trade. Campbell is IMHO a far better quarterback than Vick.Look at the stats.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

It's payback for the Body Bag Game, no?
Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 10:02 AM
Nah, payback came that same year when they sent Buddy Ryan packing by stomping the Eagles in the Wildcard game that same year. I lived up here in Eagle territory at the time and I can say that I have never seen a cockier team and fanbase heading into that game. Even by today’s typical eagles fan’s attitude. That was probably IMO the best defeat of the eagles ever….

Anyway, working from home today….rewatching the 2006 Rose Bowl (USC/Texas)…..Vince Young was something else…..was. Interesting to see Orakpo getting some serious playing time as a freshman. He was big even back then.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If we get Brandon Marshall I'll have a romance explosion at work!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Kumbaya!

Posted by: hithere1 | August 11, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I did not see anything on El4Marshall on PFT. I think its fake.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

in these trying economic times,

if a plumber's job can go down the drain,
and a policeman jobs gone faster than a bullet,
and a firefighter job goes up in smoke
does a hooker get laid off or is she just screwed?

I thought you guys might need a little lighter post to ponder over...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 11:54 AM

LOL...thanks for my new Facebook status update!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If these mf's leave Orakpo at slb that would be the epitome of stupidity! Putting J.Taylor on the strong side last year was dumb! This team and their stupidity with their dumb azz usage of personnell is starting to get on my nerves!

Hope it isn't true.

Dumb, Dumber, Stupid, Stupid Dumb Azzes!

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Dolt (aka JesusFreakKaren):

Some people have in fact questioned moving Orakpo to SLB (e.g., ESPN's Moseley). Moreover, I am gainfully employed and so I do not spend all of my time on these blogs, tracking personalities, and deciphering whether John Doe takes X position on Y issue. So, excuse me if I didn't know that TE's post was using sarcasm.

Posted by: dylanahn | August 11, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse