Blache: Alexander's 'Stock Has Gone Up'

I didn't include versatile defensive lineman Lorenzo Alexander among my five "locks" to make the team because his standing among the Redskins' best 53 players was never in question.

And I knew Alexander helped himself in camp and the preseason, but I didn't realize how well he has played. I asked defensive coordinator Greg Blache about Alexander the other day, and he gushed praise.

"He's done a great job. Actually, his stock has gone up," Blache said of Alexander, who has primarily worked in the important defensive tackle-defensive end hybrid position that Demetric Evans excelled at last season.

"His roles are going to increase. He can help us rushing inside, he can help us rushing outside [and] he helps on specialty teams. He really has taken that job that [Evans] had last year, and he's taken it to another level. We're very, very pleased with him, and what he's done, and feel like he'll be a big part our chances of being successful this season."

I expect big things from Alexander this season. And don't be surprised if Coach Jim Zorn turns to Alexander to help on offense as Alexander did often during the Redskins' 2007 playoff push.

The World of Steinberg

Dan Steinberg revisits Matich vs. Blache and then, at 11:30, is up for a chat.

By Jason Reid  |  September 1, 2009; 9:11 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Are Missing Presence of Rogers
Next: Pick the Kicker

Comments

foist

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 1, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I found it hard to believe he was a viable replacement for Evans -- he seemed pretty short for DE -- but looks like that's what he is.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say Alexander is a great asset to both sides of the ball!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

See? This is what I was talking about - playing one side of the ball can help you on the other, for linemen.

I understand not everyone will be able to make that switch, but those that do will have an advantage.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 1, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I was sad to see Evans go...that being said, if Alexander can step in and plug that hole, that'll make the defensive line that much better...

Posted by: mattylight | September 1, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Re: Carlos Rogers

This is all a contract year ploy. He does not want to play in meaningless preseason games and injury himself for his contract year play. Read his qoutes. HE says there's nothing wrong. Just being cautious.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The thing I really don't like about the Saints is their secondary. GG will put the CBs on an island, I don't think they'll cover well. My hunch is that the Saints defense will resemble the Jags of last year.

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Saints secondary this year:
CBs
Tracy Porter
Jabari Greer
Malcolm Jenkins/Randall Gay

Safeties
Darren Sharper
Roman Harper

That's a pretty good secondary. Porter got injured last year and Greer played really well for Buffalo. They aren't exactly playing Leigh Torrence back there but I like their chances.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 1, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.

1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)

Others?

Maybe Vinny is doing a good job. I can't believe I said that.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:37 AM

Talent-wise, the Eagles don't come close to touching the Redskins. The only three players on their entire roster that clearly are above their Redskins counterparts are Donovan McNabb, Trent Cole, and David Akers (they'd have a 4th if Shawn Andrews ever got healthy, which he hasn't been for 2 full years). After that, at best it's a wash for Philly, and at worst it's a clear advantage to Washington.

Westbrook -- Portis

Mays -- Fletcher
Gocong -- Orakpo
Samuel -- Hall
Brown -- Rogers
Mikell -- Horton
Jones -- Landry

People have been jumping all over the Eagles' nuts because a few analysts are creaming over their playoff run last season, ignoring the fact that they -- surprise, surprise -- have the exact same amount of wins the last 2 seasons as the Redskins, and a grand total of ONE more win over the last 4 seasons than the Redskins do. But somehow, the Eagles are clear favorites. And nevermind that their stars are a year older, more worn down, and less productive, while ours are young, fresh, and ready to hit their prime.

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

Forget their secondary, they have a nice front 7. If you can rush the passer and stop the run up front, you can still play at a high level with an average secondary.

But let's be honest here...with that offense, their defense doesn't have to carry them. Even if they're just middle of the road, that's a Super Bowl contender. I think they make a move into the top 10 defensively and win at least 12 games.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"Excuse me if I'm not buying the Eagles hype. Bar none, this is THE most overrated team in NFL entering the season."

That and, if I'm not mistaken, we beat them twice last season...I personally think we are better than them and the Cowgirls...

Posted by: mattylight | September 1, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Cuts are always tough. I don't like the practice squad. I think every NFL team should have a minor league team in a nearby city to send the young prospects. Maybe Washington could have a AAA team in Norfolk and they could send players like Marcus Mason there to prove themselves against other AAA teams. The NFL could afford this if the salaries are kept low. Play the AAA games on Thursday nights because that is a relatively free night for sports. But for now, the players on the cut list should be told that they could have a future in the UFL if they keep themselves in shape and out of trouble.

Posted by: midniterc | September 1, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I have said so repeatedly and wrote a blog post for RI back in the day about the need for developmental leagues.

The numbers is the hard part, and I have a basic spread sheet I created to try and play around with that pay players equal to what they would be making currently as practice squad players, $80,000. For a team consisting of 40 players, 4 coaches and, 1 front office person as well as 180 per person per travel game and a low stadium rent of 20K

Your talking of between $3.5-$4 million a year in costs depending on the number of games played.

The only way I have figured out how to get the games in the black would be to drop player/coach pay to 3K per game and hope to get around 17,000 fans at each game, with ticket prices averaged out at $20.

This is before we talk about promotions and ad revenue.

I believe the NFL will never have a AAA system until it can be proven to be profitable with the basics of ticket sales covering team costs.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean Wynn is a goner?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 1, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Good to hear...I've been a big fan of Lorenzo "Scarface" Alexander since he lost his helmet in a preseason game but went for the tackle anyway, drawing some serious blood. Dude is a GAMER

Posted by: Crunkenstein | September 1, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I think we really need to keep at least 4 backs. Yoder is really only a blocking tight end in goal line situations. His role will be greatly reduced since "Sleepy" Davis is playing well. Alexander can also play blocking/goal line tight end. Any chance we cut Yoder to make room for Alridge/Dorsey/Mason?

Posted by: brian58 | September 1, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

psps23 -- I think you break down the comparison pretty well. Wouldn't you consider the Jason Peters/Chris Samuels match up a push? Some people might also argue for Asante Samuel having the edge on DHall considering he's been an all-pro for two years in a row in two different conferences.

Posted by: SEJerome | September 1, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

HE says there's nothing wrong. Just being cautious.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 9:31 AM

Of course he says there's nothing wrong. He's got a reputation as injury-prone. He wouldn't be saying "Gee, I might not be able to show up for the first game if I don't sit out pre-season."

I hope he plays all 16 -- like he did last year -- and gets big money next year. Preferrably, some of Snyder's money.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2009 9:39 AM

I'll agree with the last paragraph. My expectation of the Eagles have come down considerably over the last couple months. They're one or two key injuries away from total collapse.

But you've gotta take of the burgundy and gold glasses a minute and view things from an outside perspective as to why they get more national love than the Skins. First of all, they have a recent history of winning. They're far and away the best NFC East team over this decade and have proven they can win in the playoffs. Secondly, I don't get what you mean by "ours (stars)are young, fresh, and ready to hit their prime." I don't know what Redskins team you're watching, but the one I've seen has an old O-line with a long history of injury and a RB that has the football equivalent of 100,000 miles on a car. The Skins have some good guys to build around, but the Eagles actually use their draft picks and will have some guys already in place to step up when McNabb and Co. fall apart. Whether those guys play well...I guess we'll see when the day comes.

I hate the Eagles, but I understand why they get the respect they do.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | September 1, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I think we could cut wynn instead. We have plenty of depth with the LBs that can play both positions. I'd like to keep Yoder. As much as I like Cooley and Sleepy, Yoder can really lay down a good block. Cooley whiffs too much and I haven't seen Sleepy blow anybody up yet. I'd rather keep Yoder and cut Wynn in favor of Anthony Aldridge. Besides, I bet even you are shocked when they throw the ball to Yoder. He's like the Spanish inquisition, nobody expects him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 1, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

To me, on paper the skins are probably the 6th best in the NFC, if they stay healthy. At any rate, I think they should be in the running for the final a wild card spot w/ the bears.

Vikings
Giants
Cardinals
Falcons
Saints
Redskins/Bears

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Not sure Wynn's spot is in jeopardy since the Skins tend to load up on D-line roster spots. Still, it could be. I'd think that Jarmon and Wynn are the two DE backups. That'd leave Alexander, Golston, and Montgomery as DT backups.

Posted by: pgugino | September 1, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree with that. I'd take Yoder over Wynn. And yes, it is wonderful when they throw to Yoder.

I assumed that we would cut Wynn, but things still didn't add up right.

Posted by: brian58 | September 1, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drfunknsoul | September 1, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm taking Baltimore as my AFC pick to the bowl. They're gonna blow people up this year.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how the roster allocations work out, but last year Zorn used Alexander in the Tight End spot in goal line situations. Honestly, Yoder should be cut if Alexander can fill that extra blocking need, and I think an extra HB this year would be a smart move. I've got a funny feeling that leaning on Portis will prove costly and despite what we're hearing from camp Betts is not a likely alternative. Alridge or Dorsey?

Posted by: pgugino | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"The Eagles a recent history of winning? We beat them twice last year. They're a mediocre team that got hot at the right time. The strength of the team was the defense, and while they've made slight improvements in the offense this year, the defense will be no where near as good. Between losing players and injuries they haven't been able to stop anyone in the preseason.Posted by: drfunknsoul"

They definitely had their ups and downs last season. But they're one of the few clubs in the NFL that's very effective on offense, defense, and teams. They've strengthened their receiving corps and added a rotation back in case Westbrook isn't healthy. The o-line should be improved, eventually at least. And they divested themselves of one of their least productive players -- LJ Smith (and why did Baltimore sign him, I wonder?).

They look like a team on the way to a good season, with probably some bumps along the way.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles a recent history of winning? We beat them twice last year...

Posted by: drfunknsoul | September 1, 2009 10:08 AM

Yeah, and we went 3-2 against the teams in the conference title games last year and yet we were still home watching. I'm not sure what your point is. But making 5 trips to the conference title game this decade counts in my book as a recent history of winning, regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.

Tell me you wouldn't trade the Eagles W/L record over the decade with the Skins...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, from the Elements of Style, the preeminent grammar and usage text, comes the following:

1. Form the possessive singular of nouns with ’s Follow this rule whatever the final consonant. Thus write,

Charles’s friend
Burns’s poems
the witch’s malice

This is the usage of the United States Government Printing Office and of the Oxford University Press.

Jesus’, and such forms as for conscience’ sake, for righteousness’ sake. But such forms as Achilles’ heel, Moses’ laws, Isis’ temple are commonly replaced by

the heel of Achilles
the laws of Moses
the temple of Isis

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood keepin' it real...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

bostskin:

What about it's vs its?

This one still confuses me.

And when to use a semicolon, a colon, or a dash...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 1, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Samson151,
Agreed. The reason the media is sporting wood over the Eagles is their offensive potential--all that speed with Jackson, Curtis, Maclin, and now Vick too. When you look at the NFC East the Eagles are the only pass-first team. They might light up the scoreboard on other teams, but our division's defense is too talented. I really hope our defense plays up to the hype this year. Anyone bought their Orakpophobia shirts yet?

Posted by: pgugino | September 1, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

How can you not love Lo' Alexander?!?!?! I wouldn't be suprised if he was our emergency place kicker!

I think Blache is going to be very creative on defense this year.

Brownie/TE: Glass half who cares? That's why they play the games. We'll see when the dust settles. The NFL season is a wild ride and there are issues we can't even forsee.

My take on the skins is blind optimism as a fan(atic) and healthy skepticism as evidence based realist.

Basically I take a "prove it" attitude and can't wait to be pleasantly suprised!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 1, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:21 AM

----------

Got it from your last post.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:13 AM

They're not even the best team in their division. Steelers likely won't sweep them again, but they'll win that division.

That offense is still struggling to score and remains void of any legit WR threats and I don't underestimate the loss of Rex Ryan and Bart Scott on D.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I told you, I told you, na-na-na, I told you. LoZO is coming to play sports fans. Now to light that fire under MONTGOMERY. What was it you recommended yesterday 4th floor, the KENNEDY eternal flame?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

cL,

If you had to name one area that might prove to be the Achilles heel for the Redskins, what would it be?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 1, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"They're far and away the best NFC East team over this decade"

The Eagles' big string of success came at about the same time the Rams were having success. Recently (as in the last 4 years and counting), they've been marginally better than the Redskins, who are supposedly the clear bottom rung of the division (if you listen to analysts). The best NFC East team of the decade is without question the Giants, who have 2 Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win, have a young franchise QB that has never missed the playoffs, and has built as close to a model franchise as you have in this league.

"Secondly, I don't get what you mean by "ours (stars)are young, fresh, and ready to hit their prime." I don't know what Redskins team you're watching, but the one I've seen has an old O-line with a long history of injury and a RB that has the football equivalent of 100,000 miles on a car."

The Eagles are carried by 2 players: McNabb and Westbrook. Needless to say, both have wheels that are quickly falling off. Jim Johnson was the one keeping that defense elite, so unless Sean McDermott is the next Spagnuolo, that defense is falling. Hard. They collectively played beyond their talent with Johnson, which is not something many coordinators in this league are ever able to accomplish (and even Spags had the pleasure of working with multiple elite defensive players, something McDermott is not privy to).

The Redskins are carried by their defense, which includes Landry, Hall, Horton, Rogers, Haynesworth, Orakpo, and McIntosh. That is a very young, and very, very good core. Apparently CP is getting old, if 28 is old, but is still putting up numbers like he's in the midst of his prime (which is closer to the truth). Yea, the offensive line is older, but that is the ONLY positional group on the team you can say that about (and it's younger than last year's). And regardless, the simple fact is that the Eagles offensive line is more injury-prone than the Redskins are (shocker, I know), and is currently exemplifying this as we speak.

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

and brownwood feel free to answer that question as well, or anyone else for that matter.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 1, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The Bengals will have a better record than Pittsburgh and Bmore.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Re: Carlos Rogers

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 9:31 AM

Exactly what I thought.

Posted by: abxinc | September 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"And yes, it is wonderful when they throw to Yoder."

A truer statement has never been written on this blog.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Chia,

The apostrophe in it's is short form for It is, not the possessive.

Therefore you would write:

It's a fine day for a Redskins win.

And, alternately,

The world in all its glory.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"cL,

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Well the health of our starters on 0-line. But that is a given right?

My pick outside of the obvious is our LB play. That worries me. Is LBF losing a step in pass coverage? Is Rocky Mac Back. Can Po/Wilson hold down the transition. Can youngsters emerge. Can we survive an injury there?

IF the D-line can be as dominant as its potential it may mask this issue but also do we have a LB corps ready to feast on the buffet a good D-line serves up. To me, this is a huge ? mark.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

Steelers are the defending champs. Ostensibly, they should play the toughest schedule. Why do you think it's easier than the Ravens?

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names in -es and -is, the possessive
the heel of Achilles
the laws of Moses
the temple of Isis
The pronominal possessives hers, its, theirs, yours, and oneself have no apostrophe.Posted by: bostskin"

LOL thanks so very much for that. Now if I can just get my fingers to cooperate with my brain...

There's a guy on one of the other blogs who the moderators have named "Captain Correctness". You wouldn't happen to know him personally, wouldja?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

chia_pet:

was "cl", "gl"? My thought OT. If ANYBODY goes down in that area MIKE WILLIAMS and JEREMY BRIDGES are the back-ups. I would be looking at suspects now and the cut lists hard this weekend.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 1, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"They may win a wild card game in the playoffs, but with Pittsburgh playing an easier schedule and New England welcoming Brady back in the lineup, I don't see Baltimore doing any better than last season.
Posted by: brownwood26"

I suspect they won't do quite as well. The Ravens have a history of up and down years. The preseason blowouts might be deceptive; I heard Ray Lewis on the radio talking about all the confusing looks they gave Mark Sanchez. In a preseason game.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Samson-Don't know the Captain, sorry. Just an old, washed up English major.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

ROCKY Mac is back. He looks like his old self back there albeit a half-step slower. But he's bouncy this year instead of dragging that leg after him.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

psps: "The Eagles are carried by 2 players: McNabb and Westbrook. Needless to say, both have wheels that are quickly falling off. Jim Johnson was the one keeping that defense elite, so unless Sean McDermott is the next Spagnuolo, that defense is falling. Hard."

All reasonable observations. Don't know if it will turn out that way, however. McDermott came up through the Iggles' organization, replacing Steve Spagnuolo as DB coach in 2004. He knows the Johnson system very well, and the players seem to like him. Losing Dawkins and Bradley should hurt some. Philly has been overdependent on McNabb and (particularly) Westbrook for several seasons, but they've actually taken steps to lessen that.

FO has a stat called 'team efficiency' in which they compare every play during a season vs a representative average. The Iggs ranked at the top of the overall list for '08, finishing 13th in offense, 3rd on defense, and 13th on special teams. The Giants were every bit as good, as were Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

They'll find a way to struggle. They don't have the core that the Giants do. But that's a very good team.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Psps23,

OK, maybe the Eagles aren't "far and away the best NFC East team over this decade", but they are certainly the most consistent over that period of time. The Giants won a Super Bowl and I would give them an edge for that overall, but they had way more one-and-done seasons than the Eagles did, who at least waited until the conference title game to choke.

I agree with your assessment of the current Eagles. But you have to admit they have a head coach to overcome that if the NFC remains wide open. And I don't trust Zorn to bring the Redskins to where the Eagles went last year.

So I think that's where the Eagle hype comes from. They've proven they can do it. The Skins have proven they can win a few games at the end of the regular season and flame out in the playoffs. The tables could very well turn, but nobody is gonna go out on that limb, myself included.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

BTW, on that 'team efficiency' list, the Skins finished 12th overall -- 9th on offense, 11th on defense, 25th on special teams.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:38 AM

That's pretty overrated...the Steelers and Ravens will play the same schedule, save for 2 games (the conference games determined by where you finished in the division). But if you look at the schedule, they play the AFC West and the NFC North.

I just like the Steelers better in that division because they're air-tight on D and they have the best QB in that division. The Ravens caught some people by surprise last year, which won't happen in '09.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Preseason hype = power rankings.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 1, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

should the Redskins make sure that AH and RAK don't lose effectiveness by becoming hybrids. It appears to me that certain players, with over the top talent and natural instincts at one position should be utilized as such (I am no expert) By adding too many bells, whistles and new wrinkles to what they do, they run the risk of becoming ordinary. Our team needs a few players like Charles Mann and Dexter Manley who play as beasts.

Anyone with me on this?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone with me on this?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 11:05 AM

I've said this about Orakpo all offseason and T_E takes particular exception to this. You've been warned...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So Mike Wise is listing the top jersey sales so far this season or whatever the start date is.

1. Favre Viking
4. Vick Eagles

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I understand that if a LB or DL player is too aggressive, he may leave a running lane open here and there. But the value of a beastly sack in the backfield cannot be underestimated. It will change the psyche of many QB's and turn on the rest of the team.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

If I am Blache, I am telling the guys "I need to guys to smash that QB to the ground ASAP" " I need to see dirt and grass hanging from the QB's helmet"

peace out

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,
I love that Flacco kid, though. I think he's got the tools to be better than Rothlesberger. Plus, Rice looks like he's going to break out. Add that to the sheer unpredictablility of the Raven's D ( even without Scott ), and you've got a helluva team.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse