Blache Dives Under Bus, Makes a Change

Whether it's defensive linemen failing to maintain their gap responsibilities, linebackers not recognizing their "landmarks" or defensive backs playing the wrong "leverage" in play calls, the group has often been a mess. Jim Zorn and defensive coordinator Greg Blache have shouldered responsibility for the repeated breakdowns of a group expected to be the strength of the team, and the staff is doing what it can to effect positive change.

"Quite candidly, in 2009, things got bad, somebody's got to go under the bus. Being the leader of this defense, I should be under the bus, and I'll dive under," Blache said. "If somebody won't throw me, I'll dive under. Because going under the bus, you hurt your feelings a little bit. And at worst you might end up with skid marks on both sides of your shorts."

At this point, there only are so many moves that can be made; the Doughty-Horton switch is one.

"Chris and I are both capable starters and we're both capable players, and we've both played in each game so far," Doughty said. "I mean, I'm starting the game. That doesn't mean I'm going to play every down in that game."

Doughty had four tackles - including two for losses - while playing 28 plays in the 19-14 loss to the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Horton had three tackles and committed a costly pass-interference penalty late in the fourth quarter. Two plays later, the Lions scored a touchdown to take a 19-7 lead. Horton was not alone in failing to execute his assignments well at times against Detroit.

"I'm a competitor, I love to compete," Horton said. "It's not going to change the way I prepare for this game. I'm still going to come out, I'm still going to play. When they do put me in the game in those extra packages, I've got to make my plays. I've got to do what I did last year and just keep showing the coaches that, hey, this guy can play, he makes plays for us."

Doughty became the starting free safety when Sean Taylor was injured late in the 2007 season (because of that injury, Taylor was at his Miami home in November of that year and was murdered). Doughty remained with the first team to start the 2008 season. He started at strong safety in the opener against the New York Giants, but sat out a Week 2 game against the New Orleans Saints after experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Horton replaced Doughty and intercepted two passes and recovered a fumble in a 29-24 victory at FedEx Field. He was named the NFC defensive player of the week and remained ahead of Doughty for the next three weeks. Doughty was placed on injured reserve Oct. 14 because of a back injury and underwent surgery.

Horton continued to work with the starters in camp as Doughty filled the Redskins' John Havlicek role, as Blache put it, being a valuable reserve and contributing on special teams. Doughty's work on teams will be reduced, but he will continue to be active on the coverage units.

"I think that my ability was there even in the preseason last year and the year I started when Sean passed," Doughty said. "But now I have a comfort level. I don't get down after one play, I don't get too up after one play.

"You know, I get a tackle for a loss, guys are like, 'Why aren't you more excited?' There's more plays. We're not off the field yet. I have a comfort level that I can go out there and play and be a part of a defense that can do well."

Blache is counting on it.

"Like Sunday, I thought we were a better football team, but we didn't play better," Blache said. "So that comes back when you stop, when you look in the mirror, you go through all the details, that comes back to coaching.

"And quite candidly, [I] have no problem accepting that. I've talked to the players about it. I've told them, 'I'll do a better job of giving them calls. I'll do a better job of helping them on third downs, put them in situations where they can be successful.' "

By Jason Reid  |  October 1, 2009; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dungy's Take on the Redskins
Next: Zorn Pleased with Effort, Energy

Comments

First. Redskins stink! I want to root for a real franchise like the Ravens.

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

That's a man talking.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I mean Blache, not the First Fool.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Except the PI call on Horton was largely b.s. Not sure why that keeps getting mentioned when discussing his demotion.

Posted by: smutsboy | October 1, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Blache Dives Under Bus, Makes a Change"

So with a defense with high-priced guys not performing, Blache jerks the chain of low rent guys like Horton and Doughty.

Wow, what a lack of coaching.

You make an example out of an alleged star to make a statement.

By benching Horton, Blache did the equivalent of foreclosing on the home of a ghetto-dweller.

Hey, Greg: kick some of them penthouse dwellers around, and then we'll see something.

Otherwise, you'll be kicked out next.

Or should be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"Rey Maualga is outplaying B Orakpo right now."

that's cuz we somehow haven't figured out where to use Orakpo. It's a difficult coaching decision, but "we're improving" after the last loss. NOT

Posted by: pgugino | October 1, 2009 2:28 PM

Yes we have. DE. On all downs.

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, how come you're not celebrating like you just won the damn lottery after you made a desparation tackle with the help of three other players? c'mon, maaan?!

...damn showboaters.

I love my 'Canes, but I can't think of a worse legacy from them than their exuberance over bupkis.

from previous thred ________________

Agreed, Peri (I can't believe I'm saying that!..lol)

Snyder's arrogance is reflected through almost every aspect of this team. Except, oddly enough, from Stompy. I found his recent comments exactly what they should be.

It must be maddening to come from such an overacheiving squad to this dysfunctional mess.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

If Blache continues to play Orakpo at LB, someone should put the bus in reverse and run over his azz again and again.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Blache sickness me i think he HOLDs back young players development in my eyes how can young players grow if they not allowed to make mistakes. But landry , Hall and rogers can screw up all game and nohting being said. I feel bad more KAreem moore, mitchell, tyron. the only reason he playing orapo b/c of high draft pick

Posted by: chinngy23 | October 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Keep Orakpo @ DE permanantly.....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Here’s the trouble with that. Having two relatively light pass rush ends would put the skins back to last year’s troubles. Teams will run AT Orakpo.

What might be more effective is use him more as a rushbacker on early downs, blitz him every other play or so. Let him feel out weaknesses in the offense, and learn his craft, seeing more and different pass block styles.

Part of the problem now is Des dont get to set guys up for future moves.

Orakpo is a hand in the dirt guy only on obvious passing downs, and on third down, Andre C is shafted from right DE to left DE.

An awful lot of sacks come from a player setting up a blocker with a repeated move then reversing it, ( a swim instead of a bullrush, a bullrush instead of a spin), beating him cleanly and sacking (or hurrying) the QB at critical moments

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Blache making changes. Horton may not have made all of the mistakes on Sunday, but he made the most visible - and painful - one. It sends a message and Horton will bounce back from it. Sometimes a young player needs to be pulled back so that they can advance.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Blache is the complete opposite of Zorn when it comes to taking blame

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I like that Blache is stepping up and taking responsibility. But I don't know if taking Horton out of the starting lineup is the answer, but we will see. I would like to see a little less Vanilla defensive schemes and more exotic blitzes, so the OL doesn't know where the rush is coming from. Let's go Blache I know you can have it somewhere in your defensive playbook.

Posted by: gcoles32 | October 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Comparing WRs and LBs production are apple and oranges.

1st round RBs and LBs usually contribute right away.

Tell me I'm wrong on this......

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Has Orakpo not contributed? He has a sack that forced a punt, and an unregistered QB pressure that forced an Eli INT.

And Orakpo isn't a strict LB. He's a LB/DE hybrid. And he has 6 tackles, a sack, and a pass defensed in his first three games.

In Demarcus Ware's first three games of his career, he had 9 tackles, a sack, and a pass defensed.

In Shawn Merriman's first three games of his career, he had 3 tackles, 0 sacks, and 0 passes defensed.

But we've already got guys suggesting Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga are better draft picks 3 games into their NFL careers....

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:44 PM

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The decision to demote strong safety Chris Horton in favor of Reed Doughty for Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has a lot to do with the overall lack of discipline on defense this season. --RI WAPO

Regardless about how one feels about the personnel involved, it's a nice ocurrance to see the redskins replace strength with strength. As thin as the team is at certain critical positions, Safety remains a strength--especially when and if they wear their thinking caps.

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smutsboy

Agreed. If Horton deserves the demotion, that phantom penalty wasn't the reason. Also, it was Horton who broke up the Rams last ditch play with good man coverage on Avery.

My gut tells me that Blache is going to need to sit somebody "bigger" than Horton to get the attention of the defense.

Our DL got eaten alive by DETs OL, seems that would be a place to make a statement. Sit Carter or Daniels? Drop Golston down in the rotation? Sit Hall and give Tryon or Barnes a shot? Sit Landry for Moore?

Or as Greatone1 wrote, Moore to FS and LL at SS?

Doughty for Horton seems a pretty modest shake-up and if there's a message intended in this change, not sure how much it'll resonates.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Blache - "And at worst, you might end up with skid marks on both sides of your shorts."

Um, Greg, buddy, we know you're getting up there in age so you may want to head to your local Target or Costco and pick up some Depends so your skid marks won't be visible to the rest of us.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I think if you get BOrak coming from lots of different angles (DE & LB) it'll be fine.

His effectiveness won't be as watered down.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

Didn't we pick up a 350 dancing bear that was supposed to command double and triple teams? If Orakpo can't handle a tackle 1 on 1 on running downs, then we shouldn't have drafted him. Osi U. is an every-down DE at 6'3" 260, playing in a 4-3, without the benefit of an Albert Haynesworth in the middle. Seems like if Osi can be an every down DE, Orakpo should be given a shot at it too.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 1, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 2:43 PM

Hey, Cork, why don't you try this sometime. I feel like everything you post up here is bullrush. Now you've set us up. Show us your swim.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow that is a mouthful. Finally. Our defense has peacocked downs 1 & 2 now going on a decade...and then just gets cold cocked on 3rd down.

Also big ups to Blache. Accepting blame, tweaking. They need that.

All week my mantra has been: They all suck owner/fo/coaches playas...when you play like they have no one should be repping anything. But also that means looking honestly and saying 'we suck' but lets reubuild the season play by mutha humping play!

To me Blache and Reed are saying, "hey improvement starts with me"

One mind, one heart, can't lose!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

doughty def played well, but benching horton is a putting a piece of gum to stop the leak of a dam, once again just terrible, the boy comes to play and he knocked out kevin "Hall of Fame" smith out of the game
using horton as a scapegoat for this team epitomizes my disgust at this current venture, at least horton plays all out every play
todaysskins14

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

On Oarakpo as LB. Its an experiment. We don't know that he is a good DE at the NFL level.

What I hope is that the Skins are learning what Orakpo can and can't do, both on the DL and as an LB.

My sense is that Orakpo, as an LB, would be best off in the role Rocky has, without needing to cover TE. For a weakside LB, Rocky doesn't seem to be involved in much QB pressure.

If I'm Blache, I watch Raven film and have Orakpo model his blitzes after Suggs.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 2:43 PM

SWIM??????????? You actually used this word to describe a football play.

Posted by: TheJury | October 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Blache what do u have against the young talent on your team. ITS all POlitics in the locker room.. Horton makes a mistake or too he benched, Kareem moore didn't blitz last year against the ram that one mistake didnt cost you the game Blache and he was out of the rotation.You let Landry , Hall smooth, Rogers screw up all game and nothing is being done , but these guys cant make a mistake thats B.S. i be glad when u gone if u dont want these guys trade them for more VETS!!!!!

Posted by: chinngy23 | October 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

On Albert and gap control. If it takes 2 and 3 guys to block him, doesn't that mean there are fewer gaps?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Most of the posts have suggested that a big problem was the secondary. Blach made a change to address it.

Who else should sit and who id the back up for that person?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Should have benched LaRon for Doughty

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:44 PM

I am saying they are playing much much better than Orakpo at the moment. HAve you seen Rey or Cushing play? Compared to Orakpo?

I have. They are playing better, MUCH better @ LB. This is a clear observation. And you didn't qoute any of their stats because they defy any of those you already named.

Cinicinati now has a top 5 defense. And Cushing is a tckling machine. Go to the video tape. They ALREADY have that LB instinctiveness that Orakpo lacks. And it's so visible on misdirection plays and pass plays..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Skid marks on the inside back comes from not wiping your ass properly.

I don't know how you'll get skid marks on the back outside part of your drawers, or how you'll get them on the inside front part.

Skid marks in on the outside front? Well that a whole 'nother story I'm not getting into.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

srobert1117 Go ahead and root for the Ravens, do you think that anyone actually cares who you root for? Soon as they lose 2 in a row you'll move on to another team.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

But Orakpo is a natural DE, 4th. How could he have the same instincts that Maualuga and Cushing have -- guys who've been playing LB most of their football careers?

You bamafied bamatoid.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

You gotta like that attitude and it should be something other players on the team should try to emulate. It's great these guys drop someone for a loss or a sack on 1st and 2nd down but instead of chest bumping everyone within 10 feet of them and flexing the guns, why don't they go out and try to stop someone on 3rd down.

Posted by: Moose33 | October 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Going back to last season, Horton has played as well as anyone in the secondary, so I think demoting him definitely sends a message to the other players: Step it up or someone else will get the opportunity.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"We needed to have our defensive line to stand up, and they did,'' [Gregg] Williams said. "Every week is a race to improve in this league, and it's easier to improve when you have confidence. A game like we just had helps you improve even more because you play faster and make better decisions when you play with confidence. And that confidence helps out the offense because they know they've got a defense they can trust and believe in.''

This is Gregg Williams talking to Don Banks this week. I miss Gregg Williams. The reason the Week One loss to the Giants was so devastating was b/c a win puts a pep in your step and you get more feisty from there. Losses get you back on your heels, more cautious, less fiesty.

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps start tonight.

Washington will have two championships in 2010.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Tell me I'm wrong on this ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM

Not sure what you guys are talking about, but a tree just fell in the forest (where the Pope was pooping), so YOU'RE WRONG!

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

why is landry still starting...he sucks!

Posted by: BMACattack | October 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"They ALREADY have that LB instinctiveness that Orakpo lacks. And it's so visible on misdirection plays and pass plays..........

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Hence the fact that Orakpo has more upside. Orakpo isn't playing off of LB instinctiveness, knowledge, or inheritance. He's playing off pure athletic ability. And once he gets those 'instincts' (as did Ware and Merriman, both of whom were also transitioning to a different position from college to pro), his production skyrockets.

By the way, their stats (Cushing and Maualuga) don't reflect Orakpo's because they don't play the same position as him. Orakpo doesn't line up every snap as a 'backer. And Cushing's zero sacks, INTs, or FFs would have REALLY helped improve this defense's lack of big plays last year.

And I don't know where you got your stats from, but Cincinnati (Maualuga) is ranked 16th in the league on defense, and Houston (Cushing) is dead last at 32. The Redskins are 15th, and that's just in yards. In points against, the disparity is even larger.

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"We don't know that he (Orakpo) is a good DE at the NFL level."

So you're a team that needed offensive lineman in a draft stocked with them, and you draft a tweener backer/defensive and don't know how to use him?

And we wonder why we are where we are....

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

First. Redskins stink! I want to root for a real franchise like the Ravens.

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse
---------------------

Then go root for them.

Just don't come back.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

First. Redskins stink! I want to root for a real franchise like the Ravens.

Posted by: srobert1117 | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

They might be a real franchise, but you're not a real fan. Don't let the door hit ya...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will score 45 points this weekend.

Book It

**I am going to post this every week, and one these days I am going o look like a genius**

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I like Horton, and I am sure he still sees plenty'o time, but its obvious to anyone watching that Reed is leaving on the field, and at some point that has to be rewarded.

And you can call the PI phantom, but the deal is Horton was out of position and thus flailed and thus drew a penalty.

Whateves....will some mutha funker just make a play!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You guys are still griping about Orakpo playing linebacker? Get over it, will you? He has tremendous upside and he is already solid as a linebacker. Just think how good he'll be when he really learns the position...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Why compare Orakpo to Maluaga or Cushing? The comparison should be to Suggs, i.e., the guy who's job description is containment on the strong side (rather than some artificial label like LB or DE).

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

someone should put the bus in reverse and run over his azz again and again.

Amen. In fact, let's just run him over right now, I'll be the first one to buy a ticket to be on that bus so I can watch it happen.

So tired of hearing his damn excuses why we don't blitz, why we don't pressure people, why his D hasn't played anything resembling a modern defense. Run him over, scrape his dead carcass off the pavement and ship it out of town.

Posted by: Megskin | October 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

TheJury, were you joking above about the swim move? That's a real thing, a defensive line move. Even I know about it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

What would be nice would be if Doughty could be the cover one guy on top ... and releasing the Landry hounds to get more contact opportunities rather than cover responsibilities.

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL was listening to the JT show on 980, and Raheem Morris (coach of TB) was on. he called Santana "Santonio Moss"....LOL

Posted by: kman2 | October 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Used to be a regular....I read all the time but rarely have time to post....our problems are well documented and well artictulated by all the posters on this blog....our long term problem off the field is ownership which creates most of the problems on the field....my spin is that even with this dysfunction at the top its possible to become a consistent playoff contender if if if if you have leadership on the field...in the end that is what we lack....the leadership comes from your coach and from your QB...neither of our guys at this moment do anything to lead or inspire....I agree we have many other problems, but we are not completely without players...we need our QB to step up or he and zorn will be out....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM |

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I want to see all 4 defensive linemen execute a synchronized swim move.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I like Megskin's fire.

I can appreciate that.

3-4 is the new standard defense in the NFL. 'Skins need to get familiar.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

... Run him over, scrape his dead carcass off the pavement and ship it out of town.

Posted by: Megskin | October 1, 2009 3:34 PM

Sounds like Meg's warm and cuddly feelings for Gregg Williams are firing up too.

Check this out:

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Here is the problem I always had with the idea of rooting for the Ravens.... They wear purple jerseys. If they wore black all the time think I would like it more.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Rey - 17 Tackles 2 FF 1 Sack
Cushing - 26 Tackles
Orakpo - 6 Tackles 1 Sack
=============================================

I F'd up on the Def Stats, or maybe they were higher before they played Pittsburgh because I saw the stat last week. And the Texans aren't losing because of Cushing.

And they said Rey/Cushing would only be 2 down players. And everyone brought that lie.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

We should play a base cobra package. That could be our secondary imitation of the 3-4. Line up 2 of Horton, Doughty, and/or Landry on both sides of the box, and consistently have one of those guys knifing into the backfield, while the other two disguise coverage.

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You bamafied bamatoid.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:14 PM

You just proved my point for my argument.

You're not such a bad guy after all.

All hail RedDMV......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

kman, TB coach has nothing on Brian Billick.

Sunday he called Malcolm Kelly, "Kelly Malcolm", and last year he kept calling Santana "Santonio".

Why the hell would a dude be named Kelly Malcolm?

He's got to be the worst.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

THIS (about Williams) is what Meg is talking about:

"... He's aggressive in his defensive calls, loves to blitz -- he told me the Saints had two defensive backs coming on 25 snaps against the Bills -- and is known for instilling an attitude in his defenses with his loud and demonstrative coaching style. Williams lives to push his players' buttons. ..."

Secondary blitzes on TWENTY FIVE snaps!

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

sess,
I agree on the color scheme.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

ahhhh stuff it. Grilliams pulled that same 'turtle' routine when it mattered.

The only thing that made Grilliams great was ST21. Other than that, he was just damn good.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bamafied, babamtoid? That's just plain...bama-licious!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Why the hell would a dude be named Kelly Malcolm?

He's got to be the worst.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 3:42 PM

The worst would be Malcolm Magnesia.

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I really don't pay much attention to what any employee of a team says in front of a bunch of reporters.

What they say off the record is much more important.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"My point is, look at the current production and impact that these 3 guys are having. OUt of the 3, Orakpo is having the least. Period. My original point."

And my point is that you don't draft a #13 pick for the sheer rookie stats. There is a larger goal in mind than seeing which guy looks more polished in year 1. Orakpo was going to have a learning curve. Everyone knew this going in. But he has already shown that his talent is for real at this level. That cannot be denied at this point.

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhh you're all just a bunch of Malcom-tents.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

What they say off the record is much more important.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 3:44 PM

But if you've learned NOTHING from Beantown Greg and Larry Michael's "source-o-meter" (and you haven't), if you don't have a hyperlink to it, its not true.

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The worst would be Malcolm Magnesia.

Posted by: dcsween

I cant believe I didnt get that in first...

classic

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Wait, is 4th Floor complaining about the Skins drafting Orakpo?

YOU LIE!

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea of putting dirty thirty back near the line but I'm thinking let Kareem Moore play free safety or even try Smoot out there. Let them cover, they'd do a better job of it than Horton or Doughty. You could bring Horton or Doughty in in a 3 safety set.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 3:40 PM

I like that idea. Also, what has happen to have 5 DL on passing downs? The skins ran that against the G-Men and got really good pressure against the good OL. I want to see some creative stuff from both Zorn and Blache. Give us some reason to be excited.

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I could see a cobra base package working for this team, we only have 2 LB's and you can move Orakpo to DE full time. Hoping my chart here sets up properly using spaces to try and keep things aligned.

30 37
22 52 59 23
98 92 96 93

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dang guess I could not get that to work anyone know how to keep formatting if youare trying to space thing out? I guess I could use ..... to space or something.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 3:45 PM

I think it's too early to say that. HE has the combine numbers for the moment....

@ Sween. I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out. Because I have watched a few Orakpo @ LB plays and his almost always chasing and/or the other team is always throwing in his zone because he is in fact learning on the go.

I'd just rather him stay at one or the other at this point. Because if he's going to be playing LB, he needs to practice it full time....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

.................48
.........30.............37
22....,,....52...59..........23
.........98..92..96..93

I also like the idea of going 5-2 from time to time.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I like the way Blanche is showing his team how to take responsibility and show accountability. One thing I would like to see is Landry being sat for his complete lack fundamentals in his play. All he seems to care about is making the highlight reel, and unfortunately the last time he did that was when he got punked by Brandon Jacobs.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Orakpo being a hybrid LB/DE is that this isn't a 3-4 defense where he would be able to rush the passer every down. If he's not going to be a full time lineman then he should have been drafted by the Steelers, Chargers or some other team where he'd be utilized and put in a position to make plays consistently.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with NYSkinsFan1

If anything else, maybe Blache has the respect of the guys in the D and they will get there act together "avenge his honor" if that makes any sense.

After the last two weeks, I think Sunday will be a very good indicator into what kind of finish they will have this year.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with NYSkinsFan1

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Prolly goes for everyone. If they can't respond and at least play an emotional, flying-around-the-field game, with a fire in their eyes, then there is no hope anyway...need to see some urgency...

Posted by: mattylight | October 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I want Blache as my life coach.

Posted by: dadanimal | October 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

We all know I was against Orakpo but accepted he was on the team. But the way people on this blog and Vinny talk about him, I thought y'all was saying, 'Get Orakpo ... Championship'.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 3:56 PM

I think 'Skins will be drafting earlier than 13th next year ... and we're seeing how lucky that's been for us this year.

Seriously, I joke. There is only one more game that matters right now ... and its this Sunday at FedEx field ... where the Skins are UNDEFEATED this season!

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should just make sure he's wearing his Depends on the sidelines. That would be more realistic.

Posted by: Megskin | October 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

alex, it's worth a thought, but I'm thinking NFL offenses would feast on a 5-2 formation.

It requires a lot of speed. I think that formation doesn't bode well for the likes of Fletcher and Doughty.

Maybe have Landry and Doughty switch sides, and play Landry at some sort of safety/LB position.

It might work.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm really baffled by the downfall of our defense.

We lost: Marcus Washington(who was hurt a lot); Shawn (MY MAN!)Springs (who was hurt a lot; Jason Taylor (who was hurt a lot) and gained Albert Haynesworth (supposedly a beast) and Phil Daniels (back from injury) - so why are we so much worse than last season?

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The fact there at home puts even more pressure on the team.

They gotta have a huge showing out there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

so why are we so much worse than last season?

Posted by: Lisa_R |

I think they fell into their own pile of hype. I think they overestimated their individual talent. It is collective talent that gives a defense their swagger.

Skins D have lost sight of that me thinks. That said, the loss to the lions may have woken them up a bit. Plus Blache falling in the sword for them

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

so why are we so much worse than last season?

Posted by: Lisa_R |

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why I keep double posting

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"First. Redskins stink! I want to root for a real franchise like the Ravens."

The ravens, aka "da dead-birds," are a real franchise?

Please.

Put the pipe down, stat!

They were once the Cleveland Browns of Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, Brian Sipe, Sam Rutiliano, and Paul Brown.

Then they become an expansion team with one-eyed birds on their helmets.

And so, if you're going to go be a fan of the ravens, I'll shoot you a one-eyed bird on your way out the door.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Give Borakpo time. His shorts are still wet and they don't have Blache's skid marks on them yet.

Also we have the finest quality rush linebacker, much greater quality than any other NFL team...All other rush linebackers are inferior to Redskinstan!

Posted by: ElYeah | October 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | October 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot of 4-3 defenses rush a linebacker. It's usually the weak side though. I know we rush a strong side linebacker. We used to do it with Marcus Washington. It seems very risky though.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

.................48
.........30.............37
22....,,....52...59..........23
.........98..92..96..93

I also like the idea of going 5-2 from time to time.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 3:57 PM

That's a good line up. And have #37 blitzing.

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

That's a good line up. And have #37 blitzing.

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

See I think with that kind of cover scheme you now have a classic umbrella with 5 in coverage you can roll a blitz and coverage from any of the 3 safeties and do the same with filling gaps between the holes on the line. You could blitz corners and have a SS cover the sides wide receivers. Back in the day I used to put that scheme into Madden and create a whole playbook based on a similar coverage.

The Run stopping is a concern for such a scheme, 2 LB's means you need the SS's to be good tacklers.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

It might work.

Posted by: RedDMV

See I was thinking just about anyone in the secondary could be moved around depending on what is going on the other side of the field. But we have basically 3 SS's and Horton is really the best in coverage of the three IMHO. But by all means I would expect that we would move guys around from side to side to confuse the QB and stuff.

As a avid maddener I used to love designing my own D more then my own O.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

poop poop

Posted by: dcsween | October 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

That's a man talking.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

yeah, a real STUPID man. Blache sucks. And his defensive playcalling sucks. And his schemes suck. He sucks period. I miss Gregg Williams

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 1, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The safety that needs benching right now is LeRon Landry. He is trying for the spectacular play and missing plays all over the field. Example: the worst defensive play in the Rams game that almost cost us the game was totally on him. The play when the Ram running back ran for 50 plus yards. Watch that play. It should have been a tackle by LeRon after 5-10 yards. The back was headed right for Landry, but Landry was going way too fast and not under control(going for a knockout) and totally whiffed. The Rams scored their only touchdown because of that play. Now, I love Landry, so this benching would only be temporary, but he must learn not to be going for the knockout when he is the last guy.

Posted by: sruppert | October 1, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Lets look at the Real Problem. 1) can't stop the run 2) can't stop the pass, 3) can't stop them on 3rd down. So how are you going to fix that Blache ? You got more holes than a sinking boat, can we get some stop leak here in a Jiffy Please !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 1, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Is this a joke? Horton makes plays and most importantly he play's smart football. Did he commit a costly penalty against the Lions yes...but remember he did turn his head and try to locate the ball in order to prevent the flag from being thrown, unfortunately he didn't get the call. I can't remember too many other mistakes he's made. In fact all I remember is Horton making plays. If anyone needs to be benched it's Landry! Landry over pursues all the time resulting in missed tackles and cutting off other would be tacklers. Blache needs to worry about dialing up some effective blitz schemes and holding all the defenders accountable for missing their assignments. If you want to turn heads sit Carlos Rogers and Hall for their miserable tackling and huge cushions (ie. Mario Manningham, and every 3rd down from the Lions.) I appreciate the effort coach but if you're going to do something like this do it right.

Posted by: ljhartnett24 | October 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the best they can come up with?
Blache has been over his head since GW departed. Working the numbers is Blache game plan, and working the numbers don't win games. When the house cleaning begins Brache will be the Turks second stop. Brache can take his phony persona to a new venue, (possibly some obscure D-2 college program)!

Posted by: Spanglerg | October 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I could start at safety DRUNK this week and we'd have at least the same 3rd down defense ranking.

AND I'd be more fun to watch. Totally unpredictable. Blitz all the time, zigzag across the field to confuse the quarterback, run down the seam looking over my shoulder with my arm in the air like I'm open! I'm open!

Result? Same 3rd down defense ranking OR better.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 1, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to hear Blache on why our corners play so deep.

Are we doing what we did last year? If not can we get back to that?

I do think this D is much better than it has been playing though. I could see it coming into form and firming up.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 1, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

LL needs to sit. He hasn't been the same since B. Jacobs took his soul.

Posted by: eanderson4 | October 2, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse