Brennan Dials Back the Swagger

Second-year quarterback Colt Brennan had big plans at the outset of camp.

After gaining cult-hero status as a rookie, Brennan was eager to challenge longtime No. 2 quarterback Todd Collins for the position as Jason Campbell's primary backup. But the supposed competition never unfolded because Collins continued to be a steady veteran and Brennan struggled throughout the preseason.

As the Redskins prepare to play their final preseason game Thursday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Brennan is in a fight with rookie quarterback Chase Daniel to retain the No. 3 job he held last season. The swagger Brennan displayed before camp and preseason has been replaced by outward humility, which has been a refreshing change to some in the organization who thought the kid used to be way too arrogant for someone who had accomplished, well, nothing.

Brennan definitely has learned from this experience, and he hopes it will help him become a better quarterback.

"It's tough," he said. "Obviously, you're right, this isn't where I thought I would be. But that's football sometimes. Right now, I just have to realize the situation I'm in. When I look back, I'm not embarrassed. I'm not bummed out about my play at all. No matter what happens, I'm going to be able to take away a lot. I got a chance to play against the [New England] Patriots' No. 1 defense and moved the ball. I've gotten a lot out of this preseason. Maybe the end results or the stats are not what I wanted. But everything I've wanted to gain through this preseason I've gained. No matter what happens, I know I'll be able to learn from this, grow and progress as an NFL quarterback.

"I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I could sat there and made excuses up. I could have sat there and pointed the finger and tried to take some of the blame off me. I didn't. I took it all in stride. ... I think part of being a quarterback in the NFL is going through adversity and how you handle that. And I've shown anything this preseason, is that I can handle adversity pretty well and not really get discouraged by not having success. I've battled back and I have one more chance to battle back this Thursday."

Despite his poor decision-making in the preseason, I expect Brennan to be on the 53-man roster.

Today's Schedule

There's no player or coach availability today, as is par for the court on the day before a game, but we'll still have some issues for you to discuss.

By Jason Reid  |  September 2, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Ticket Experience?
Next: Who Will Be the 53rd Player?

Comments

Jason Campbell is the FIRST string QB

Brennan will be the 3rd.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 2, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Even if JC goes ahead with his/her gender realignment surgery, he is still going to think and throw like a little girl. I'd keep Brennan, Daniel and Collins -- and keep checking the waiver wire for someone to supplant them. But anyway it goes down, JC must go away.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh! Just thought of one I forgot about....

So, we all thought Anthony Montgomery is a lock on the 53-man roster. On Monday I heard from 3 different REdskin Beat Reporters that Montgomery might not make the final 53. He was said to be out of shape and a little distant stemming from the addition of HAynesworth.

I remember O'Hallaran and Henrehan (980) and the 106.7 reporter dude mentioning this....For the 1st time all on the same day...

What's up with that?? We have to atleast trade him....And to be honest, I don't ant him to go because of all that F'ing potential he holds....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"...wonder what song they'll blast at fedex during warmups this year..."

Given the latest scalping scandal, how about "Two Tickets to Paradise"?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

So, we all thought Anthony Montgomery is a lock on the 53-man roster. ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:00 AM

Wrong ... I'll go back and find dcsween's version of 4th Floor's hair brained sports prediction on this (see cL post at 10:25am).

[Question: hare brained or hair brained? "Waiter, there's a hair in my brain."]

Posted by: dcsween | September 2, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

first!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | September 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Re: Montgomery
msn.com's Czarnecki proposed this trade yesterday

5. DT Anthony Montgomery to the Panthers: Ever since the Panthers lost mountain man Maake Kemoeatu at defensive tackle, GM Marty Hurney has been looking for a big replacement. Washington's Montgomery is 6-foot-6, 320 pounds and very unhappy about being demoted from the starting lineup with the arrival of Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Barno is fuming mad over the WaPost's latest hit piece...this time the subject is the Redskins and their ticket office, and how they sold tickets to brokers. The story is so slanted you have to read it with your head turned at a 45 degree angle. The story fails to mention the Post's own personal ticket issues in the past with the Redskins, and how the team yanked them away from the paper when they were found to be scalping them online. Cardinal rule of journalism: ALWAYS GIVE FULL DISCLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The story also fails to mention where they found this stuff out from, who tipped them off, that it makes no difference whether they sold them to fans or not because so many fans scalp them anyway, that there would have been a huge steelers presence at that game last year regardless of this issue, and that the Post has most likely been sitting on this story for weeks if not months, waiting for the best time to release it....on the eve of the season opener.

The story actually gets into how this issue happened, buried in the middle, that these were rogue ticket office representatives who were channeling the tickets to certain clients. It's against team policy and they employees "were dealt with." But in all likelihood, most readers don't get that far in the article, and come away with the impression that this is a Dan Snyder idea to screw the fans and make more money.... which OF COURSE is the Post's intention. Just listening to the Mike Wise radio show this morning and Bill Rowland describes the story in just that way: A Dan Snyder Money Making Scheme Which Screws Fans.

Funny to wake up to this story today after watching the new movie State of Play last night--an absolutely terrible movie but that did have one good aspect: It mocked the Washington Post's editors throughout.

Cancel your subscriptions to this fishwrap folks

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Brennan should be dialing back the swag...dude has been nothing short of awful all preseason! God help us if he has to actually play a regular season game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

so if Monty goes, who replaces him?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

OK, let's start the list:

1 RB
2 O linemen
1 MLB

Anybody else?

Posted by: edvar | September 2, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse
3 french hens, 2 OL's, and a RB/MLB

re-Posted by: frediefritz | September 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | September 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather they kept Montgomery to provide more depth to rotate the DL's all season.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Please keep Colt! I see the potential in him and the players LOVE him. If we let him go, he will go somewhere else and become a super star.

Chase Daniel? The kid can run but please keep in mind he was playing against 3rd stringers and only played for 2 series with simplified plays. Colt was just as successful (if not more so) with his simplified plays last pre-season.

Plus, Daniel is only 5'9 (at best) and wears his baseball cap backwards ala Tony Romo.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Skinwest, the Panthers traded with the Browns yesterday for a DT, so I assume that means any trade for Montgomery is off the table.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Montgomery will be on 53, but Gholston is better.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The 106.7 Beat reporter dude said this morning he was hearing 'whispers' this morning that Colt came in this season with waaay to much confidence and didn't want that from here.

Diagnosis of the problem: Hangs out too much with the 1st or 2nd (depends on who you ask) most beloved current Redskin, ChRisTopeR CoOOooOleY.

Solution: Stop acting like he's 'made it' and get back to your humble roots. And Stop dressing up like TOny Homo in Homemade Coooooley Videos and if Cooley was a real friend, he'll let you throw passes to him. Cooley is a Rock Star. Colt is the Roady/wannabe/Think he alredy is Rock Star.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Although if the skins could get a quality OL or even OLB for depth maybe it's worth trading Montgomery

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I thought you could only get pars on the course, where's this golfing court you speak of?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 2, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

so lorenzo alexander and kedric golston are better than monty??? monty and hanyesworth together are close to 800 lbs alone on the d-line... we need that beef...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | September 2, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Barno, I'm surprised the Post didn't pull Woodward and Bernstein out of retirement and dig up Jack Anderson from the cemetary to work on this one.

Admittedly, full disclosure is a fair point, but do you really think that they put that much thought into the issue, as in "waiting until the eve of the regular season" to report it? It's not THAT big a deal.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 2, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

OK nevermind about the Panthers. I'd still be hesitant to trade Montgomery given AH's injury history and Griffin's age, but for OL depth? Who knows.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but after a lot of thinking I see Chase wining out over Brennan, right now. Here is the thing no matter what happens whoever is our no 3 QB if they are in the game we are in trouble because a lot has already gone wrong.

Here is why I see Chase over Colt. The more I thought about it the more I realized how valuable mechanics are for a third string QB. We are talking about a guy who's not getting much time at practice. Do you want a 3rd QB to come out and throwing side arm on what should be a fade pass or you want a guy with the right mechanics?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

SkinsWest - I didn't believe that trade offer when you or whomever 1st posted it.

Now it makes perfect sense. I heard the Cleveland dude they traded for isn't all that and they wanted someone else whom refused to be traded to Carolina. So, it's a good chance the trade is still possible. No less than a 3rd rounder....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Barno is on the case! Sometimes it's hard for me to figure out which side of an issue to take, and Barno swoops in to help me make up my mind! Thanks, Barno!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 2, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are a business and businesses screw people everyday...all the rats are trying to get a bigger piece of cheese.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 2, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather keep Chase. I think he has more upside. He played in the Big 12 against real competition.

Posted by: nuzuw | September 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"Cl - Zorn said yesterday that there will be a few surprises on the final 53 that will astound longtime observers...."

I think this is one more tipping of hand @ the RBs...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that, Alex. Plus Daniel looked like he had command of the huddle and may have those intangibles you look for in a QB.

Colt comes off as a cocky kid, not sure if the team feels that way but it comes off like that to me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I think they can move Daniels to P-Squad. Every team has a chase daniels.

Colt on 53
Daniels to P-squad

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Maybe after the game tomorrow night Colt and Chase can have a bare-knuckles fight on the field to settle this, à la "Every Which Way But Loose."

Philo Beddoe, yo.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It's not THAT big a deal.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Agreed it's not that big a deal. The Skins "dirty little secret" likely is common practice among most NFL franchises. Interesting, though, that ol' Fisheye La Canfora -- an NFL employee -- would contribute to an article that calls out a successful NFL owner (when it comes to ticket sales) so blatantly on his business practices. His days are numbered with the Network.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Barno has a point....But it's a fight I care nothing about...I just want to make sure I can buy face value tix the week of the game like I have done the past 3 years....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Brown,
I agree Colt does rub me the wrong way for a 3rd QB. I was all for him trying to work into that 2nd QB spot, but he did not make it, and don't know if we can stick him on the PS. But I say let him go out for a minor league and work the mechanics out.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 2, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The hat thing is pretty annoying, I'll give you that. Otherwise, Colt has been in this system a year now & looks like he is regressing instead of improving. Chase's time is here & now. Colt's time is but a sweet memory of 2008.

Posted by: will_ga | September 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

barno,
its not a big deal unless you are one of the supposed 150K on the waiting list and you see that brokers are essentially cutting in line. that is a big deal. and i dont think the post has to re-disclose their ticket issues. thats old news. besides, the post accepts a lot of skins advertising, which is critical now. if they were so inclined, they wouldnt attack the hand that feeds them.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

QBs are rarely put on Practice Squads, because you just don't need 4 QBs during a week of practice, not that many balls to throw, so a 4th QB wouldn't get reps unless there is an injury.

The chances of losing Collins and Campbell are low, the real question is, which prospect has more upside. My guess is Colt, because he has NFL size and arm strength, but for this year, it really does not matter.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think they can move Daniels to P-Squad. Every team has a chase daniels.

Colt on 53
Daniels to P-squad

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

They should bribe Chase's receivers to miss their routes and tell the D where the ball is going. That way Chase throws a bunch of picks and nobody will sign him off the p-squad.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 2, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

This is fun steve! The fantasy blogga scounting report on 4th:

"4th is a feast or famine type. His wild hair brained sports predictions can land points in droves, or have you posting goose eggs. Be wary of his conspiritorial stance but embrace his deep knowledge and awareness."

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 10:25 AM

lmao. any more?

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 2, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm unsure about this whole Monty thing, if he gets cut, that just leaves, AH, KG, CG, and LA as the DT's. Given the age of CG, and the health of AH, thats pretty thin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R
_______________________

I just watched the Pats game last night... Colt looked bad against the Pats' 3rd stringers, his passes had no speed on them (his out passes are going to get picked off frequently), he had poor pocket awareness, and he's not fast enough to escape rushers.

CHASE is the man.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 2, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I think they can move Daniels to P-Squad. Every team has a chase daniels.

Colt on 53
Daniels to P-squad

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

If Chase is mediocre tomorrow night I agree, but if he goes out and lights it up again do you really think nobody would take a shot on him if we cut him? I think plenty of teams would, lots of teams need qb depth Denver, San Fran, Chicago, Buffalo, Bengals, St. Louis, Oakland, and Jacksonville all strike me as teams that don't go 3 deep with quality and would have to look at a guy who was Heisman Trophy finalist that lit it up in college and had two solid games in the preseason. (assuming he's solid tomorrow)

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 2, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Daniels can play more inside too..
And so can Wynn...

I forsee Orakpo playing more DE than SLB at this point in time. Especially if (BIG IF) Monty is moved (which I hope doesn't happen).......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:29 AM

That's the thing...dude was supposed to play his way into a promotion, not a demotion. The fact that he's been outplayed by Chase Daniel only highlights that. But he's a 2nd year player...I don't see why you couldn't put him on the practice squad.

And I think putting Daniel on the p-squad is a bad idea. I'd bet one of those QB starved teams would take a flier on him as a 3rd stringer and work his way up. I'd rather him do that here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

CHASE is the man.

Posted by: chasgiffen

Chase Daniel=Drew Brees II Electric Boogaloo.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 2, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Bad NFL QBs sure do learn a lot from their mistakes. It's a wonder that there aren't more ex-Redskin QB Nobel Laureates given all the learning they've done.

Posted by: TBDog | September 2, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You can't go to P Squad, once you have accrued one seaon.

MAson and Colt will be ineligiable this year....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Steve20147:

Fantasy Blogga scouting report: Beantown Greg

"Will guarantee you a steady run of scoring by making the same status quo point at every opportunity. No bonus points for differentiated thinking, but by default he ends up being right enough to be a steady contributor. His bonus points potential comes from the calling of other posters suicide and his willingness to fight with someone one day and then team up with them the next. Achilles heel: World view limited to his own experience. And NASCAR. Secret weapon: sense of humor."

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel=Drew Brees II Electric Boogaloo.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 2, 2009 11:37 AM

Um, no. However:

Chase Daniel = Doug Flutie

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Brown, looking at the rules for practice squads I think Colt's no longer eligible. He has been on a 53 man roster for more than 6 games.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

cl, thanks, thats about as good as you could write it up....I'm touched...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or did Daniel look like Rothlisburger with that gold cap on backwards. Albeit mini-Rothlisburger.

I agree with earlier post - They'll keep Colt and put Daniel on practice squad - with the one caveat if Daniel looks far better against Jacksonville tomorrow.

4th I don't know if that Monty-to-carolina trade was a real proposal. Czarnecki was just writing about 10 trades he thought should happen.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

i'm from germantown, md, but live in brooklyn now and for all the eagles and giants fans who invade fedex (F DALLAS), i dont know why there arent more Skins fans at giant stadium and lincoln, we apparently have the best fans in the nfl, i dont know why we dont travel better, ive been to the last 2 games at giant stadium and last yr at philly, and we def represent, but not nearly to the extent of those fans in our house, let's get out up 95 and let them know who we are, b/c they've forgot, we punked the s**t out of eagles fans last year, rolling up to the stadium blasting Hail to the Redskins and yelling f the eagles, hahah it was great , damn i love the Skins, we just have to show up more at home and on the road, but i do understand that hassle of it all and the cost, but other teams fans seem to make it happen on our turf, why can't we do the same to them?

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

cl:

I think I'm getting a feel for how I should draft (assuming I were a player). Keep 'em coming.

semi-colon. right parenthesis. winky emoticon.

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Folks, here is why the Post not giving full disclosure on their own ticket history with the Redskins is a big deal:

The whole point of this story was to make it seem like there were so many steelers fans (and cowboys, eagles, any road team etc) at Fed Ex because the Redskins were selling tickets to brokers. Ok, but the Redskins sold tickets to the Post for years and years and those very same tickets ended up going to visiting team fans as well, after the Post sold their tickets to brokers!

You miiiiiiight be a hypocrite...if you're complaining about a team selling tickets to brokers when you did the same thing with your tickets.

If the post had given full disclosure, they couldn't have even published the story because of how hypocritical they would have looked.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Its not just you. Yes Chase Daniel and Big Ben are almost twins

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

How would he even known that Monty 'may' be up for grabs in the 1st place? He has to have had some backdoor source. Casserly still works for CBS....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

hmmmmm...was Colt really on the 53 man roster? I thought that he was the emergency third string guy that can only play if both of the other QBS get hurt, and as such was not technically on the roster.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 2, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

cL, the not "not" guy.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 2, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Barno
Do you have proof?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

SI Preview has the Skins finishing 4th, with a 6-10 record.

If I'm Zorn, I buy EVERY issue of this I can get my hands on, and PLASTER the locker room with it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Zeese, my take on that wiki is that Mason is eligible for the practice squad. He's got 2 years of service on it...says a player can have up to 3 years on squad.
I don't think he's got 9 games of service on a 53-man yet.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 2, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If Montgomery goes, I guess that opens up a spot for Rob Jackson and Renaldo Wynn to both make the squad. Lorenzo Alexander and Phillip Daniels would have to take a larger role in the interior of the line, but there's enough depth to replace him for this year (contrary to what I thought yesterday).

He is good, however, when he wants to be. It would be a shame to simply cut a guy with that talent. If he goes, I hope we at least recoup a draft pick for him (not likely, given his unsuccessful foray into restricted FA, where he only would have cost another team a 5th rounder).

Posted by: psps23 | September 2, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

My favorite posters on RI, in no particular order:

1)4thFloor
2)PSP whatever
3)Barno

You guys always seem to have the best takes.

Completely agree about this latest disgraceful salvo in WaPo's ticket war. The Redskins FO are the ones who discovered this problem in the first place and took steps to correct it. Now it's going to be blown all out of proportion and heavily slanted to make Snyder look like a greedy ahole. BRAVO, muckrakers.

The only thing more crass and disgusting than the timing of this article was the one JLA trawled out before our first playoff game a few years back, dredging up all that Arrington nonsense out of the blue.

Posted by: McMetal | September 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

retroskins:

I live in brooklyn as well. where you watch games. I am usually at 200 5th sports bar (name is address.)

I have been to 4 games skins games in philly, two giants games and 1 jets. One reason I stopped is b/c the skins were 1-7 in those games.

Also the meadowland BLOWS and is a mega pain in the azz to get there from NYC. (although they just introduced a new game day rail ride)

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

John,
There is a 53 man roster and then there is a gameday roster (I think 45 man) Colt was always on the 53

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Today's Schedule

"Par for the court" Jason?? Come on man...

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | September 2, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

4-12,
I am 75% sure Mason has 3 years, if you look at how he is listed in most places they count it; Rookie, 1, 2, 3 ect. So if you see most guys listed in their second season as 1 year and Rookies listed as "R"

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Colt? Humble?

He's talking about what a great job he's doing dealing with adversity. Yeah, that sounds real humble.

Colt Brennan is a self-centered donkey from Texas; he will never be humble.

Whatever, dude needs to focus on dialing back the INTs, if anything.

Like I've said all along - keep Chase, at least he can scramble.

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Par for the court" Jason?? Come on man...

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | September 2, 2009 11:54 AM

Yeah, that does sound like Emmitt Smith.

By the way, great sign-in name.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Alex - I thought that I had my wires crossed on that one -

Barno - but the Post, while they surely shouldn't have sold the tickets that they got from the Redskins, are NOT the corporation distributing tickets and organizing what is apparently not a fairly run waiting list. It's not really the pot calling the kettle black. The Skins promised those on the waiting list that it would be "first come, first served". The Post made no promises to anyone.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 2, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

There's NO way Monty gets cut.

We all know Fat Al's wonderful track record of not playing an entire season and limited snaps per game.

We all know Cornelius Griffin will start breaking down by Week 4.

We need DT depth to make this thing work.

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

SI Preview has the Skins finishing 4th, with a 6-10 record.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Definitely. Remind them every day. I don't see 6-10 at all. Even if their offense is mediocre again (which I don't think will happen unless the OL collapses again) I think their defense will be good enough to get them to the 8-8 or better range.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I have a penis.

Posted by: jessejackonsadonkey | September 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow Zeese...so this is now the 4th preseason that we're having the "Marcus Mason must make it" discussion?

Posted by: 4-12 | September 2, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The writer of the top 10 trades that need to happen is credible. I didn't recognize his name at 1st, but John Czarnecki is a HOF voter.

In other words, he knows what he's talking about....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Barno
Do you have proof?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Proof of what, that the Post sold their skins tickets to brokers? Bro, this has been well documented.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

SI Preview has the Skins finishing 4th, with a 6-10 record.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 2, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

SI has to feature the most ignorant football analysts out there - not surprising considering their lead guy is basically football's verion of Chelsea Lately.

All you have to do is take a look at the Skins schedule this year and it is obvious they are in for more than 6 wins: Detroit, St.Louis, Tampa Bay, KC, Oakland, Denver - that's 6 right there, and there's no way we go 0-6 in the NFC East.

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If its been well documented, then you can easily find a document on the web or whatever to prove it. Burden of proof is on the accuser.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Is SI even in print anymore? The worst sports mag in history. if it wasnt for purty pictures what do they have?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...the wiki says Mason originally signed as an undrafted FA before the '07 season. So apparently the greatest running back with zero carries in the history of the NFL can do one more year on the practice squad.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Chase Daniel is just as prepared to take over at QB as Colt Brennan was last season.

Which is to say, not at all...

Stay healthy, Todd. For all your flaws, we need ya.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think neither Colt or Chase makes it to the Skins practice squad if cut. Both would be picked up as someone elses 3rd QB. Marko has made both of them look good this pre-season so it isn't an easy choice.

I say Colt since he has a year under his belt in the system.

Isn't Colt from SoCal? He should check that swagger when QB3, but if he actually gets in a game I want him to have it!!

Was anyone else thinking that Marko would have come down with the fade that Kelly dropped last week?? Just sayin'

Posted by: mrlowery1 | September 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Barno = Snyderratto garbage

If you didn't understand it (and I admit, the article was surpirisngly subtle on this point) - The Redskins marketing team was offering available lower bowl season ticket seats to professional scalpers if they would also buy high priced club seats that no one wants.

This useful to the Skins because it 1) enables them to sell expensive club seats and 2) reduces the number of available lower bowl seats for people on the waiting list, thus making the rapidly dwindling season ticket wait list move more slowly.

Another remarkable and somewhat buried part of the article is that the Redkins would rather offer current season ticket holders additional seats rather than take people off the wait list, presumably either because the current wait list is largely a fiction or because they are trying to avoid giving tix to people on the list (thus reducing its size slowly to zero).

Therefore, the implicit agreement (actually maybe contractual) between the Redkins and people on the waiting list that the Redkins would adhere to the spirit of the waiting list was broken.

Posted by: waldmant | September 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Weird, 4-12, weird. Redskins.com needs to figure out how to lable people. No way you can be a Rookie like Orakpo list MK12 as 1 year in and list Mason as 2 years in and not have him in his 3rd season-oh wait I just figured out what I was doing wrong.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Barno - sorry for first line of previous post. Way too strong and not fair. Sorry. The rest of the post stands.

Posted by: waldmant | September 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Vinny just mentioned on the "Sports Fix" that there is a good chance they will have 4 RB and 1 FB is a good chance this season. So either Mason, Aldridge should make it.

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Git it:

They're cutting/trading (potentially) Monty to keep Dixon.

Book it (in your memory banks cL).

Thx McMetal. That's what you get as an avid Redskin fan who grew up in the 90s.(Post '92)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If Anthony Montgomery was unhappy and came into camp out of shape and distant, then he is a fool and his agent and even bigger fool.

Cornelius Griffith will be 33 this year, has been in the league for 10 years, and has one year left (2010) on his contract since 2011-2014 are voidable years.

If AM had come into camp in shape and worked hard, he might have displaced Griffith or at least made the argument of splitting time and been the starter in the 2010 season.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 2, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Please stop with the "cult hero" status of Colt Brennan. Not all Redskins fans are idiots.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Vinny also mentioned that giving who they project being cut on the OL, the skins will stand pat with what they have in house. Also, he mentioned that we maybe surprised with some of the cuts initially. Finally he said the skins have no interest in Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Git it:

They're cutting/trading (potentially) Monty to keep Dixon.

Book it (in your memory banks cL).

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:21 PM

I'd be okay with that. Dixon has played well this season. He needs to get in better shape, but Monty has had time to develop more consistency.

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

... that ol' Fisheye ...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 2, 2009 11:26 AM

F Kenbeatrizz and other posters who ridicule congenital anomalies (i.e., stuff you were born with).

Posted by: dcsween | September 2, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit I just don't get it. I grew up here, went to very very many classic games at RFK and had been a die hard skins fan for most of my life. But, since Snyder has owned the team, it basically has become a team that, at least for me, is impossible to root for. Every year is the same story - some new free agents, some potentially exciting games, and roughly a 6-10 to 8-8 record. Alot of bad losses, some very close wins. Nothing changes.

I simply do not understand the appeal of the Redskins anymore. Maybe it is a combination of Snyder + free agency... obviously the game has changed alot since 20 years ago. I don't get it - what is the appeal?

Posted by: waldmant | September 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Finally he said the skins have no interest in Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: TWISI"

And for the first time in a very, very long time, I can say that there wasn't a second thought about this in my mind. Regardless of what you thought about Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, or any other disgruntled receiver that looked for a trade, you at least had to give serious contemplation towards the thought of bringing one of them in. Not anymore.

Posted by: psps23 | September 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Ticketgate story was JLA and some other WaPo schlub.

The RI post mentioning it was put up by Cindy.

Anyone get the feeling that the Mayor is keeping a safe distance of plausible deniability from this one?

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Finally he said the skins have no interest in Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I should hope not. For the first time in a long time I'm excited about their receiving corp (Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell, ARE)

For all Marshall's talent he's an idiot. He demands a trade and then blows his trade value. Not to mention he's one strike away from a lengthy suspension - this is a guy some team will want to give boatloads of guarranteed money to? No thanks.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Um, liking the upside of Colt Brennan does not make you an idiot.

Believing that Chase Daniel has a similar upside does not make you an idiot.

Please note the Pats D was still first stringers when Daniels drove the field. Our O line was NOT however and he had signifigantly less time than JC17 or TC.

promise of Daniel = promise of Brennan

I believe we'll have the answer to our minor dilema this weekend. May the best 3rd frekkin' string QB win.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 2, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Griff was a great player a few years back, but he seems to have aged quickly and is frequently hurt. I'm not shocked he's still here, but its not a long term thing. So keeping DTs makes sense.

We've got 6 guys who can play DT (doubt Dixon makes it). Daniels and Griff are near the end. Monty, Golston, Alexander and Albert are our future. Unless Monty is really messing up, he'll have a future here

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 2, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

I never agree with you, but in this instance, much ado about nothing. My favorite part about the ticket article was NFL Network's own JLC contribution. I find his nightly smirk refreshing....kind of like crapping your pants as a kid.

I am all about criticism of Snyder, Cerrato, etc.. but the Redskins can sell tickets to whoever they want. The season ticket list isn't a binding contract. If the 'Skins want to sell to brokers, who the he11 cares? I am more worried about their play (or lack thereof) on the field.

I never bought into the Post's anti-Redskins bias, but the ticket thing is a nonissue. If Snyder decided to steal blind kids tickets to resell to brokers, that is a story. Instead, the paper should scrutinize other local teams as well. Like why the Washington baskeball franchise has a g@y name or why the baseball franchise has the worst owners in all of sports?

I am not a member of the Snyder fan club, but at least the guy puts his money where his mouth is and wants to win. The Lerners are the Donald Sterling of MLB, WaPost, where is the expose?

Posted by: duh2mag | September 2, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone put up here yesterday...Case for Chase, I am on that boat. Take the athlete with the better throwing motion, hope he turns into half of what Drew Brees is or better.

Colt did throw a nice TD to M. Mitchell, but he negated it with the INT. Dont like him or his game...I imagine no matter what the Skins are drafting a QB next year in the top rounds.

I hope that Monty does not go, would be nice to have a strong rotation like the Gints, I do think Wynn needs to be cut, cant believe he is light years ahead of Buzbee or Jackson.

Would like to see us pick up an OL or LB from cuts or FA

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

as long as marko makes the team everything else is gravy as far as im concerned.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2009 11:57 AM

Practice squad eligibilty also has something to do with accrued seasons, which is not just seasons that a guy is on some team's payroll, but also actual games on the 53 man roster of that regular season. In past seasons, there were some weird mid-season cuts that I could only figure out as a way to keep the guy practice squad eligible (or retirement plan ineligible). The timing of John "Angry Toe" Eubanks' cut was one of those where the timing seemed weird.

Posted by: dcsween | September 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Finally he said the skins have no interest in Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: TWISI"

I'm curious to know what prompted this statement from Vinny.

Was he asked a direct question?

Or is it now just SOP for the Skins to have to deny/confirm interest in the cry-baby diva mercenaries of the NFL?

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waldmant

Seriously, your the one on a redskins blog, writing no less asking what the appeal is, you obviously still follow and care.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Last thing on Monty.

Remember...We tendered both Gohlston and Monty. But we tendered Gohlston at the higher tender and tendered Monty at the 2nd to lowest tender. Big money difference.

Gohlston signed almost immediately and worked out in the offseason (OTAs and Weightlifting @ Redskins Park). Monty stayed away all the way through the draft, which is the deadline for signing RFA tenders.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

aw, c'mon sween - they're just jokes. I've seen a lot worse up here.

We've all been made fun of at some time or other... nothin' wrong w/ that.

If someone has a face made for radio, what's wrong with pointing that out?

Admittedly, the pile-on is ugly in it's own right... "Would I?! Would I?!... HAIRLIP! HAIRLIP!"

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

barno, the point is the TEAM was selling tickets to brokers not that individual owners of tickets (such as the post) is selling those tickets. the point is they have this supposed waiting list yet allow brokers to cut in line. the issue with the post was that they had so many tickets that they distributed to employees and THEY ended up selling them, not the post itself. also, there was some suggestion that danny cancelled the tickets due to negative coverage, not that post employees were selling them.

either way, its a big story, although not suprising.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

all you chase daniel supporters are all delusional. He played a few series against a third string defense. Yeah, he didn't throw a pick and threw two TDs...BUT Colt had a fabulous preseason last year, and now since he isnt doing that well y'all are hating. What if Chase does the same thing? Is it really wise to cut Colt who has been in the system a year already and is improving for a rookie who is showing the same signs Colt did a year ago? NO. Shut up with the notion that Chase is a better fit, because he has not proved that at all. Wait until the Jacksonville game before you say anything.

Posted by: supergrl63 | September 2, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

We tendered Gohlston at the 2nd highest tender...not the highest...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Every year is the same story - some new free agents, some potentially exciting games, and roughly a 6-10 to 8-8 record. Alot of bad losses, some very close wins. Nothing changes."

waldman, while I'm generally in agreement with your frustration, the same could be said for most of the teams in this league. Since Snyder took over in 1999, the Rams, Ravens, Patriots (3x), Bucs, Steelers (2x), Colts and Giants have won the Super Bowl, and the other 25 franchises have not.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

supergrl you dating Colt...whats that like?

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes, grew up a huge Redskins fan. Still care, follow somewhat and watch most games TiVoed. Haven't spent a dime on the team in 15 years. People ask me to go to games, I am truly NOT interested in going.

I care DESPITE the team, owner, recent history, FEDEX field, and unscrupulous bisuness practices, and I care maybe 10% as much as I used to. This team will NOT change unless fans walk away in greater numbers.

Posted by: mhartz1

Posted by: waldmant | September 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Didn't read the Case, but I am on the Chase boat.

Those are valid points. For me, the big thing is Chase's ability to scramble.

Any 3rd-string QB that gets into a game is going to have some problems running the offense - nerves, no practice-time/chemistry w/first team, overall lack of talent. There will be alot of miscues and broken plays.

I'd rather take the guy who is likely to pull down the ball and scramble for 5 yards over the guy who thinks he's Brett Favre and slings a sidearmed interception.

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

And duh2mag,

The season ticket isn't a binding contract?! Tell that to the fans who paid the 10s of thousands $$ to the Skins in penalties & then the Skins go right out and re-sell the tickets.

Those are certainly binding contracts. And the fans were even lied to when buying them, being assured of an out if the couldn't afford it down the line. Skullduggery at it's most heinous. I'm all about letting the FO sell tix, but sewing fans for wanting out is bogus.

And if you're buying season tix, make sure you get it in writing that you have an option out!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to know what prompted this statement from Vinny.

Was he asked a direct question?

p1funk

Vinny was asked "What are the Broncos asking for Brandon Marshall?" Vinny replied "I have no idea, we like our locker room."

Posted by: TWISI | September 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | September 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

uhhh suing... not sewing... ooopsh.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 2, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I hope Colt bounces back from a rough preseason. I'm not a Colt hater I just get tired of his fanboys thinking he should have risen up to starter status based on the hall of fame game last year.

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 2, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

You guys also failed to realize that the ticket office worked on commission, or was that point left out in everybody's argument.

If I were in ticket sales, hellz yes I would sale off a block like that rolled up with some luxury suites or whateves. Think about how much $$$ that person reeled in for him/herself???

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: supergrl63 | September 2, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait. So Colt has a great preseason last year, has a year of development under his belt. Comes out this year and plays like crap; and this is supposed to be an argument in his favor???

You basically illustrated that Colt has regressed as a QB. Why would you continue to invest in a guy who is regressing?

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Brennan has more upside. Keep Brennan as the third QB and keep Daniel on the practice squad.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Keep Colt number 3.. Chase should come up limping during his last series Thrusday night... say something is wrong and go on IR for the season.. that what Gibbs loved to do to keep players who couldn't make the normal roster...

Posted by: sovine08 | September 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Brennan has more upside.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Based on what?

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I agree that league parity feels alot more like league mediocrity to me.

But, haven't the majority of teams that have not won the super bowl in that time have at least fluctuated enough so they had some really good seasons? JLa used to put some of that kind of perspective in his articles to point out the extent of the Redskins grinding mediocrity - I just don't know the numbers.

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Posted by: waldmant | September 2, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

either way, its a big story, although not suprising.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the team has a policy that forbids selling tickets to brokers, and a few rogue employees in the ticket office broke that policy and were dealt with. But the Post's slant on the story gives readers, like you, the impression that the Redskins "allow brokers to cut in line" when that is not the case.

Employees of any organization, business, or entity can go off on their own, break the rules, and make the company they work for look bad. They can also be fired and the company has to then set the record straight. Which the Redskins did, even though the Post intentionally does not make that clear.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest

Totally AGREE about Chase looking liek Rothlisberger with his cap on backwards - a mix of Rothlisburger and Romo. Disgusting!

For what it's worth- Vinny was on 980 and indicated we will keep 4 RBs. Granted, he was asked directly about it but he hinted strongly that we will.

But who to keep? Mason and Aldridge were both impressive.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Why would we keep 4 QBs and two unproven at that, I dont think it would make sense to keep one and put one on the Psquad.

I look at both and see same thing, inexperienced and not an ideal fit, but one is more athletic and has the more correct and accurate throwing motion, Daniels reminds me a lot of Brees.

I also agree that Mitchell would have caught that fade route that Kelley dropped, MK did not go up right for that pass, looked awkward.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

dikshuttle,
not all season ticket holders have contracts, i dont and never did. i have the option to renew or not each year. the only ones who have contracts are those who bought club seats or otherwise cut a deal w/ the team. usually that involves luxury seats.

i dont blame the team for enforcing contracts. i also dont have a problem with them reselling those seats. if you dont uphold your end of the contract, they are not your seats anyway.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

____

Here is the flaw in your logic.

"Selling to these outside vendors was not official policy and the Skins said that they were not qualified to make these sales."

The people who sell season tickets for the Redskins worked on commission. The more they sell, the more $ they line in THEIR pockets.

These ticket agents saw a way of bundling hard to sell but lucrative tickets (premium seats) with general admission tickets. I am assuming b/c they worked on commission, selling premium seats got them major $$.

The reason why Snyder freaked out (as the Post says) is because he runs a business that deals in goodwill. People come to see his teams b/c they are fans and root for the team. If that trust is severly broken, then some fans refuse to show (i.e the Orioles/Angelos problem). Say what you want about Snyder's management choices, he still shells out the cash and that's why fans still go. They see he's trying.

But, if fans see him trying to line his pockets with no care in the world about the fans...then there will be a backlash.

The skins ticket agents could care less. It's a job. They have to look out for themselves. There is no dishonor in selling tickets to Cowboy fans, secondary marketers etc. They get their paycheck on quantity of tickets sold...and that's it.

Posted by: right3 | September 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

jm - I saw that a few minutes ago too. The Broncos are a mess. Their top 2 QB's are hurt and may not be available on opening day. Cutler looked good against their starting defense last week. Their prized rookie RB is also hurt. Now to top it off their best offensive player wants out but is such a malcontent that he's ruined is trade value so for now their stuck with him.

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Colt vs Chase: already decided? Good article

Posted by: will_ga | September 2, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Colt v Chase is so unimportant compared to Alridge v Mason. The 3rd QB decision only gets attention because people like to bash Campbell. I don't think Campbell is great compared to some other starters in the league but he's by far our best QB. Neither Colt or Chase would see a single snap this year but Mason or Alridge could play a large role on offense. Mason is better overall, but redundant due to Portis/Betts. Alridge is the better choice because he offers something no other RB does (game-changing, breakaway speed). Who cares which 3rd QB is chosen? This game is about Alridge vs Mason. And I vote for Alridge.

Also, Alridge could challenge Rinehart for most mispelled name.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I root for Washington, and I like Sonny.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Brennan has more upside.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Based on what?

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Duh, he is cuter. Chase Daniels doesnt have the appeal the girl fans are looking for, thats why Colt has the more appealing upside.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 2, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Was never part of the Colt bandwagon, but I'd like take a step back for a moment.

One of the issues with Campbell is that he's NEVER been allowed to fail by pushing the envelope on the field. You learn by pushing the envelope, even if you put the team at risk.

I want guys like Chase and Colt to push the envelope in preseason. To challenge themselves and learn from it. The coaches need to tell these guys thing like, "I want you to throw to the guy that's tightly covered because I want you to figure out how to make that throw. If you fail, learn from it."

Mgmt should judge Chase and Colt on their potential -- but allow them to learn on the field. One poor INT shouldn't be the end of the line for either guy.

That said, Colt's INT was a bad choice and a bad throw ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I disagree- not with your point about the legality- surely the redskins are acting within their rights. However, I do believe its disingenuous to sell to brokers rather than directly to fans (who have reportedly been waiting for years for tickets). I see no reason why they can't set up a site that affords waiting list members the ability to buy individual game tickets according to their rank. The sheer number of opposing team fans present at FedEx each and every week speaks volumes about the pervasiveness of the system (i know regular owns sell their tickets too). Moreover, for all the Hoopla the redskins try to sell us about the "12th Man" our stadium isn't that loud, and we aren't THAT supportive (subjective I know). There is certainly something unsettling about the skins bragging and encouraging the crowd to get loud (best fans in the NFL!), yet at the same time not doing all they can to ensure an overwhelming Pro-Redskins environment. I'm not against the skins making money (i'm a capitalist) but for years i've lamented the loss of RFK's je ne sais quoi, and now i know why.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | September 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I finally got you on one 4th. lol

skinswest no question about it. They are a hot mess and I am sure a lot of players want out of there right now.

Posted by: jm220 | September 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

===========================

Brees took 4 years to develop. Are you going to allow Chase that kind of time? It doesn't sound like you are allowing JC that kind of time.

In Brees' third NFL season he threw 11 TDs and 15 INTs and was sacked 27 times. JC last year threw 6 INTs and was sacked 38 times. 1/3 more sacks but threw less than 1/2 the picks.

The Chargers went out and got Rivers because they thought Brees was a mistake, and then the game slowed down for Brees and he's now an All-Pro caliber QB.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"Barno is fuming mad over the WaPost's latest hit piece...

Cardinal rule of journalism: ALWAYS GIVE FULL DISCLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"--BARNO

You first.

Posted by: TheCork | September 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 12:39 PM

Either that ... or you are addicted to the RI blog. "Hi, my name is dcsween and I have a blogging problem."

Posted by: dcsween | September 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

so if Monty goes, who replaces him?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Golston, who was in turn replaced by a chap named Haynesworth.

Posted by: TheCork | September 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

barno, i get that part. the team says that they prohibit sales to brokers. then how did SO MANY seats get sold to brokers from the team? 15 different brokers over several years??? do they not have any oversight to ensure that employees arent breaking the rules? apparantly not.

my opinion is that the team did allow these seats to get sold to brokers (or at least did nothing to stop them) and only stopped it when they got caught. i think they really feared that they could be required to black out games locally which would have been the ultimate embarrassment for this franchise.

ASC says they bought about 250 seats per year for two years? did they think that was some individual buying all those seats? and if they have such a LONG waiting list, why not limit the number of tickets sold to any one account?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

so if Monty goes, who replaces him?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Didn't Drew Carey replace Monty?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

If Monty doesn't make it it might be because someone beats him out. They might be high on Antonio Dixon.

I'm assuming they keep 4 DTs, 4 DEs, plus swing man Alexander. And that's counting Orakpo and Wilson as LBs.

DEs: Daniels, Jarmon, Carter, ???

DTs: Big Al, Grif, Gholston, ???

Posted by: skinfanman | September 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 2, 2009 11:12 AM

Perhaps, but his release point is still higher than Brennans.

Did anyone see the award ceremony at the US Open. They honored The Admiral, Agassi, Mia Hamm and Doug Flutie, listed, incidentally, by height.

Posted by: TheCork | September 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

That said, Colt's INT was a bad choice and a bad throw ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

It's not one bad INT.

It is a couple of bad INTs. It is taking that sack at the end of the half that put them out of FG range. It is the 3/4ish sidearm throwing motion that he still uses when he's out there on the field (Wasn't Zorn trying to correct that?).

When you have a guy who's had a year on the team who hasn't shown any strides of development, how much leeway do you give him? Especially when he's a low-round nobody who apparently thinks the Skins are priveleged to have him in the building.

Posted by: p1funk | September 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember that Joe Theismann had the same kind of unearned swag as a young pup and he turned out all right.
I'd rather take a guy with too much confidence than a guy with none (Heath Shuler).

Posted by: original_mark | September 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I was a Colt Brennan fan last year, but this year I see a panicky, technique deficient player who is under-sized and make selfish "bone-head" decisions during scoring opportunities. If Chase Daniels come up with another steady performance tomorrow, it is basically goodbye Colt for me.

As for Montgomery, as long as the Redskin defensive line continue to produce 0 sacks against the opponents starters, I say everyone is expendable! If you have an opportunity to trade Montgomery, then go for it and collect future draft choices or whatever. The Redskins are getting 0 sacks with him anyway.

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 2, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

aw, c'mon sween - they're just jokes. I've seen a lot worse up here.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 2, 2009 12:40 PM

Dik, this goes back to the earlier discussion about "straight tard" or rejoicing in people's death or misfortune immediately thereafter. Its not about being "PC" but about simple courtesy and respect for other humans. Now get a hair cut and shave ... and while you're at it, change your race ... and your gender (wait, bad example).

Posted by: dcsween | September 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Professor - I have not given up on JC, I just like Daniels more than Brennan. Third string QBs have nothing but time to develop and learn, I thought Brees was asked to play alot sooner than Daniels would be. I dont think Daniels is the next coming, but still better than Brennan.

I think either way, Skins are drafting a QB next year, unless JC and SKins patch it up and he has a bang out year.

For the record...the term HOT MESS is awful and dbag material

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

jm - Yeah I bet Dawkins is thinking "I left Philly to end my HOF career here?"

Posted by: skinswest | September 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

It's frightening how badly otherwise smart people so badly misunderstand this situation. The Redskins did not get caught by the Post and then took action...that is nonsense. The Redskins caught the employees, then took action and dealt with the employees, and THEN the Post found out about it and wrote a slanted story. The Post article does not mention how they found out, which is par for the course. The insiders know the rules of how the game is played and the readers are left in the dark.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe the majority of people want to cut Colt. Yes Chase did great the one time he went out against backups, but what if he struggles in the preseason next year? Wait, that sounds exactly like what Colt has done in his two years here. So next year, everyone who wants Chase now will want the new #4 QB? Sounds like backseat GMs at their best.

I don't even know why this is a big issue. If we keep Colt as the #3, we'll sign Chase to the practice squad. Let's remember that Chase went undrafted, so no team who passed on him in the draft & hasn't seen him through training camp is going to annoint him their new #3. Let's just wait & have this argument next year...

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Full disclosure may have been a cardinal rule of journalism in the past but journalism isn't what it used to be. Good ethical journalists sit at home typing on their blogs while employed journalists write stories that sell papers. Wake up and smell the stench of decay lingering in ethical bankrupt newsrooms everywhere and face the times we live in.

Posted by: will_ga | September 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Daniel!!!! Not Daniels. And you say you like him and he's the next big thing, get his name right.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey!!!!! What happen to all the play Colt over JC posters? I guess a couple of INT's brought the bandwagon to a halt. Now the vote shows Daniel to make the team over colt. Not colt, the guy who should be playing over Campbell based on the sentiment of fans last season and before pre season this year. Now you dont think he is even good enough to make the team? There are 13 year olds less fickle than some skins fans.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps, but his release point is still higher than Brennans...

Posted by: TheCork

===============================

A higher release point means the ball won't be nose down and will sail on you. I don't think you are saying what you mean, OR you never played QB and don't know what you are talking about.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my name is dcsween and I have a blogging problem."

sween speaking for the masses up here.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 2, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386

================================

Amen!

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 2, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

wisdom80- thank you. Exactly my point. Everyone is jumping on the Chase bandwagon after his stellar preseason game, just the way we did last year with Colt. So what happens if Daniel sucks next year? Same situation. Keep Daniel on the practice squad. Colt is in his second year, this preseason hasn't been great but he can only learn from the mistakes. We'll see tomorrow night.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Brennan, is gone backwards this off season.

In the NFL when your a youngster, either you improve or you get cut.
I would be surprised, if Brennan did not get the axe.

Moreover, Colt has done nothing to prove himself worthy to be the No#3 QB, on this roster.
Daniels on the other hand, has proven himself worthy of a deeper look.

Posted by: dashriprock | September 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Daniel hasn't proved anything then. Chase had a great 1st preseason game this year, last year Colt had a great 1st preseason game. Really NEITHER have proven themselves worthy yet.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 2, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"how do you know that's the order of events? do you really believe it was during routine audit? if it was routine, why didnt they catch it the year before? did you notice who else was on this byline? JLAC. when did he leave the post? a while ago, which suggests that the post has been working on this story for a long time.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse"

None of us knows. The only ones who really care are ones looking for another reason to trash management. This holier than thou mentality is getting to be nausiating. Just take some exlax and let that sh*t go! I have bigger things to worry about than a game.

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I could sat there and made excuses up. I could have sat there and pointed the finger and tried to take some of the blame off me. I didn't. I took it all in stride." - Colt Brennan

He could have made excuses or blamed someone else? The fact that he says that makes me not like him. Have you seen him this preseason? He's been awful. Not average, not below average, HORRIBLE! He hasn't read coverages right, he's thrown bad int's and his accuracy has been terrible. We've only seen Chase Daniel in very limited action but he looked much better than Colt. Colt would be lucky if he gets # 3 job.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | September 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Colt says:

""I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I could sat there and made excuses up. I could have sat there and pointed the finger and tried to take some of the blame off me. I didn't. I took it all in stride. ..."

duude, who were you planning to blame? your parents for giving you the stupid genes?

You threw two costly interceptions on the goal line, of course it is your fault, Mr. Gunslinger!!

please go ahead and blame someone else!!!

I was thinking this guy is worth keeping around, but his arrogant a$$ belongs in Oakland, not in DC

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 2, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Cancel your subscriptions to this fishwrap folks --- Posted by: Barno1

I already did, years ago -- what took you so long?

Posted by: bestmick1 | September 2, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel wears his hat backwards. That's enough for me to get rid of him.

Posted by: AsstGM | September 2, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Brennan, is gone backwards this off season.

In the NFL when your a youngster, either you improve or you get cut.
I would be surprised, if Brennan did not get the axe.

Daniels on the other hand, has proven himself worthy of a deeper look.

Posted by: dashriprock
===================================

1 preseason game is proof that Chase is better than Colt? What are you a Danny Weurffel fan?

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | September 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Rachel216, We have nothing against Colt as a person or the subject of your fanatsies, we just don't want him to screw our chances for success as our QB. That's all. He probably fits in well as a Blackwater security guy in Iraq!!!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking that it would make sense to keep Colt as three, and siging Chase to practice squad if there is enough room on the squad. If not, then of course keep Chase and get a job for Colt at Jiffy Lube

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 2, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Season and parking passes? Please....I fly in my 'copter to games.

Posted by: duh2mag | September 2, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Professor,

What are you, Colts official jock sniffer ?

Posted by: dashriprock | September 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Again, I am going to take you back 20 years about a 3rd string guy that Jerry Glanville said was arrogant for a guy that cant sniff playing time.... Gets traded to GB as a Back up and due to an injury, wins the starting job and set the record for most consecutive starts for a QB.. In no way am I saying Colt is the next Brett Favre but, they are cut from the same mold. You cut Colt and I will bet you in 2-3 yrs time, he will be noticable!

Posted by: rvanags | September 2, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't get too down on Brennan, he's trying for a 3rd string spot, not starter or backup. Colt didn't look great this preseason, but he's got the size and arm, whereas Chase looks good but is just too short. Sorry, but if you can't see over the O-line, you aren't going to make it in the NFL. I'd rather keep a guy that can be trained to be a potential in the future than hold onto a guy who would be an option only if he could grow.

Posted by: psuterry | September 2, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Could be wrong of course but here's one take:
Brennan stays - his name is marketable. Hawaii loves him, so Danny can cash in on Hawaii fans in his never ending competition with Jerry Jones for best marketing owner. He's got a bit of a Kenny Stabler manner about him in his game play. Did I mention the name? Also when was swagger a bad thing for a QB. Not too long ago Jeff George told us the whole leadership thing is overblown. Not so. If they cut him, look for Oakland to pick him off waivers. He's their kind of QB. I think Zorn wants someone more pliable, someone to follow the script closely. JC does that well. So does Chase. Colt looks like he's got a little gambler in him.

Posted by: bfjam | September 2, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSportsFan28
____
And what do you think Campbell was doing his first 3 YEARS in the league??? Colt had a great preseason last year.. he took risks but they paid off.. This year his risks aren't.. but that's a GOOD learning experience. Bottomline he is leading the team down the field.. against the Pats it was the 2nd string offense vs the Pats starting defense.. and yeah he made a mistake after he got them close.. young QB's do.. but the worst thing for him to do is just play it safe in preseason.. this is the time to take chances and LEARN. Colt will be a good one, the Skins have let to many of them go in the past.. Colt needs the time to develop.. i just hope he gets it...

Posted by: sovine08 | September 2, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno -- the Skins had premium lower-bowl tickets available. Hundreds of them. Thousands of them. Instead of making them available to long-time season ticket holders or to people on the so-called waiting list, they bundled them with the tickets they couldn't sell and sold them to scalpers. Even worse, the Skins scalped single-game tickets themselves -- likely to opposing fans!

You might not like the reporting, but you can't like what the Skins did here. And no one but you believes that a handful of rogue ticket-sellers did it. Only two ways that could have happened: (1) Snyder put them under such pressure to sell that they had no choice (and the product Snyder put on the field didn't make it easy). Then he turned a blind eye to how they did it. In that case, it's Snyder's fault. Or, (2), Snyder did it intentionally. In that case, it's Snyder's fault.

The Washington Post's feud with Snyder is boring and childish, but let's not pretend the fault is all on the Post's side. Snyder's responsible for at very least 50% of it.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | September 2, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

vic 1..your analysis of campbell is bigoted and stupid not to mention nothing but lies. campbell has a cannon for an arm, if collins, brennan(the great white hope/dope) and daniels could be cloned together they would not have the arm strength of campbell. as far as being a girl and throwing like one(campbell)you had better check out collins and brennan's physical stature none of them have any where near campbells physical ability. brennan reminds me of another sub-standard bum jim the fraud mcmahon(spelling could be wrong but he was the bears so-called qb.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 2, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Ok...heard all of this ranting about Colt, and couldn't keep my mouth shut. He had a 71% completion rate for a career at Hawaii. People say that it is because he was at Hawaii where they didn't play anybody. I was a college QB, and I can tell you that 71%, even in practice where there are no defenders is amazing, let alone on the field where he wasn't just throwing dump off passes to RB's. On the east coast, you get a lot of U of Hawaii games late night on sports channels because of the time time change, and there is nothing else on that late. I know that every time I saw him play, I thought about how the Redskins needed someone that accurate and with that swagger.

I think Zorn is messing too much with his mechanics, Bernie Kosar made quite a living and threw for a lot of yards throwing side arm...leave the natural tendencies alone and let him go out and compete. The kid will be a stud if coaches teach him the playbook and not a different throwing motion!!!!

Posted by: capscrew | September 2, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan = Patrick Ramsey/Jeff George

Chase Daniel = Drew Brees/Doug Flutie

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 3, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice article. WASHINGTON THREW 14 PASSING T.D.'S ALL OF LAST YEAR!!! 14, 14, J.C. 13 AND Randel El 1 to cooley.. Brady threw 50 2 years ago. ZORN IS A MENTAL MIGIT!!!! Colt his whole career after Colorado when he made a bunch of mistakes, has ALWAYS been humble!! The kid is cocky because he is the only QB in the history of the NFL combine that got a 100% accuracy rating(only 1 pass was not caught, IT hit a KU nobody in the hands). His college career over 70% completion rating!! Have you noticed the more coaching he gets from Zorn, the worst his numbers are. After he threw a couple of beautiful TD's to lead the redskins back in the preseason last year to win, ZORN told him he was being wreckless with the ball with 2 TD's and no INT's. The more he stays with zorn and THE GREAT WASHINTION OFFENSE, the more Zorn will make him a bad QB. The great J.C. did not throw 1 TD pass to one of the best 5 tight ends in the NFL last year, LET ME REPEAT 0 TD'S. Is that bad planning on Zorn's part or kepping in max protetion ALL the time hurt Cooley. Cooley did have 1 TD, but the WR threw it to him. Please cut Colt so he can catch on with a team that has an offensive plan.

Posted by: wseitzjr | September 3, 2009 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Colt has always been personally humble and an enthusiastic leader on the field.

Hint: EVERY PLAYER WILL PERFORM BETTER with FAN LOVE and FAN SUPPORT.

If you love the Redskins and want to see them succeed, tearing the team members down or creating conflict DOES NOT HELP THE TEAM.

REAL FANS ENCOURAGE and SUPPORT THEIR TEAM.

HTTR - get them Jags!