Bugel: Rinehart 'deserved a chance'

Benched after briefly starting at right guard earlier in the season, second-year guard Chad Rinehart remained focused and continued to work hard, and offensive line coach Joe Bugel noticed.

Bugel convinced Coach Jim Zorn that Rinehart should be given another opportunity to work with the first team, and the former third-round draft pick responded well during the Week 10 victory over the Denver Broncos at FedEx Field. Rinehart is scheduled to make his first career start (fourth overall) Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at the new Cowboys Stadium, and he has earned it, Bugel said.

"I felt during that time where he wasn't a starter, watching him on the scout team servicing the defense, he was doing a heck of a job," Bugel said. "He was staying extra practice, getting in some work, and it came to the time where the kid deserved a chance. You know what I mean?

"He was, I think, a third-round draft pick for us. It's his second year. He's come alive. He kept on growing. He didn't go in a corner and pout or suck his thumb when he got benched. He just worked harder. It's paying dividends for us right now."

Rinehart has fully recovered from a shoulder injury that slowed him for a few weeks, Bugel said, and "he's a high-character guy. You can coach him real hard. You can push a guy and push a guy, and sometimes a guy will just suck his thumb. This guy got better and better."

By Jason Reid  |  November 20, 2009; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth a game-time decision for Sunday
Next: Rogers praised for response to benching

Comments

Haven't we read this about three times already? Has he had three chances or what?

Posted by: League-Source | November 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I feel smaller when Buges talks about guys buckling... man is badass

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

i like it....get rhino in there and just leave him there...let him learn the ropes, get his feet under him....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

CR does not suck on his thumbs the way CR does after being benched.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Good for Rinehart. Now go block someone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 20, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"There's a lot of negativity out there," Gruden told Silver on Thursday. "Let's face it -- most articles you read are negative, and the same with most commentary. And I am truly sorry for not adding to the negativity and for seeing the bright side of the world here. Because, you know, I think negativity is what the world needs. They need some more guys to sit up there and ridicule the Cleveland Browns for four hours."

=====================

Gruden channeling his inner chia pet.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 20, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

two thumb sucking references in one post! gotta love Buges!

Posted by: goose33 | November 20, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

FYI,

If you have not heard LaVar's interview with Riggo yet 3 parts are up on Riggo's You-tube site. He goes into the details of his falling out with Dan Snyder. Highlights, at one point LaVar thought of Snyder as a brother. Goes into details about what happened with the contract dispute.

We all know LaVar was bitter about something, but you get a better idea for what happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNm-Hf3JlwA&feature=channel

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Gruden.

There are too many jackholes around these days - Internet, radio, cable TV - who seem to live for dissecting players and franchises for fun and profit, mostly profit.

And Florio is just a failed lawyer d-bag turned website phenom. His article implies that Gruden is a liar and is only posiitve because he wants to keep his options open with NFL employers.

Ridiculous. As if anyone is going to hire Gruden based not on his resume, but on his performance as a TV commentator?

Personally, I like the Internet(s), because it provides forums like this one for fans; but beyond that, I was just as happy in the days when the only pregame show was a 30-minute NFL Today on CBS (NBC had a similar show, I forget the title), and Redskins news came through local media almost exclusively.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This is a remake of my Sunday....

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 20, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

If Rhinehart was that bad, how much can the dude improve between the three or four games he didn't play? Meaning, what was it that he wasn't doing before that is making him better now -- and rather quickly?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

lol dik. keep bringing them videos.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

al, I read on the extreme site one time, something that made a lot of sense in regard to the LA/DS feud.

1. Why would the contract have 2 6.5 million dollar bonus's....doesn't make sense, why not just 1-thirteen million dollar bonus??

2. One of Lavar's agents is STILL, I believe to this day, unable to work in the NFL...

2 sides to every story...Lavar was a great player, time for him to move on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

red, I don't think it had anything to do with his play, rather it had to do with Vinny wanting to pimp Mike Williams, as a great find, at the expense of CRhino....I mean I can't think of another explanation....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Only way to answer that Red is zorn. Buges had to convince zorn to give CR a chance. Of all the coaches on the Skins, who knows OL better than Buges?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

k, maybe not the only way...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Greg,
Watch the videos because there are details there I bet you have not heard of how the contract got screwed up.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

honk

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 20, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

al, I can't at work, when I get home I'll take a look, but again, its what 5 years after the fact...its time for all interested parties to move on....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

i dont care what the reason is for cr to be in there its about time we put some youth on the line. maybe thomas getting hurt (AGAIN) is a blessing in disguise

Posted by: mudman220 | November 20, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Did he mean "serving as" or is that the secret to the D-Line's success?

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | November 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 20, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree that they should just hug it out

Posted by: alex35332 | November 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

OffseasonChamps that sentence struck me as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 20, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

From here on out, I best not hear Chad Rhinehart lost his confidence! Go maul some dirty F'kn cowturd this sunday!

F Dallas!

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Finally ...

Posted by: periculum | November 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Win Sunday & all is forgiven with the players & coaches... but I will never forgive Dan Snyder until he FIRES VINNY CERRATO & HIMSELF!

Anybody want to buy Saints tickets?

Posted by: tony325 | November 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 20, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Rhino got injured in that first game and that is why he struggled. It seems like he's healed up now, and now is ready to take it out on the pukes

Posted by: Veretax | November 21, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse