Campbell: A big game in Big D

Quarterback Jason Campbell had one of the best games in his career last season while leading the Redskins to a 26-24 victory over the Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium. Campbell completed 20 of 31 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. He had a 108.4 passer rating while leading the Redskins to only their second victory in the last 13 games in Texas.

The Redskins on Sunday make their first appearance and the new Cowboys Stadium, and Campbell is eager to face the NFC East leaders again.

"It's a big game," Campbell said. "First and foremost, it's an NFC game. We're on the road, we're already behind in the conference. For us, each game is a playoff game for us, from this point on to the rest of the season. So every game is magnitude at the highest level you can get."

Although the Cowboys (6-3) are coming off a loss to the Green Bay Packers, they have performed much better this season than the Redskins (3-6), who are last in the division. "You look at the early part of the season, of course they've had a better year than we've had so far," Campbell said. "They've had a lot of great games this year.

"They're a competitive team, a good football team, they're well-coached. We got off to a rough start. We're in a little different situation compared to all the injuries and things we've gone through offensively. But we're trying to bounce back and find our way."

Zorn's updates

Via Rick Maese's tweets, Coach Jim Zorn said that Carlos Rogers had a good practice and that Rogers, Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon and Lendy Holmes all took reps with the first team. ... Clinton Portis attended team meeting this morning but missed a position meeting later. Zorn said he would "be very cautious" even if Portis gets medical clearance to play. ... Albert Haynesworth "will work as hard as he can" to play, Zorn said. He'll probably be a weekend decision.

By Jason Reid  |  November 18, 2009; 2:55 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Campbell , Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hunter the punter is man of the moment
Next: Zorn says Portis 'very doubtful' to play

Comments

Go get em JC, Hail Skins and F the Cowgirls!

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If Campbell can have "a big game in Big D" then he'll secure a spot in Redskins lore forever, even if he isn't in DC after this season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Lenzoid must not have seed the Den game where Camp overthrew Moss by 10 yds long and chucked several dirtballs 5 yds in front of WRs on shorty routes.

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Campbell threw 17 complete passes and 9 incompletions vs Denver. Were some of his passes off target? Yes. But is completing 2/3 of your passes a good result? Yes.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

If I were him I'd be following Levi Jones around with bubble wrap to make sure he doesn't get hurt. If he goes down it's game over man.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

That was really sweet of you, chasgiffen. Thanks for expressing these sentiments. You have enriched all of our lives.

Yep, I ordered a pumpkin milkshake and it kicked ass. I shared it with my two little boys, and they loved it. I daresay that it was so delicious that you would have enjoyed it, too, unless you're such a mirthless piece of crap that you are incapable of "enjoying" things. By which I mean, you're welcome to lick to sole of the loafers in which I am proud to be light.

Posted by: NateinthePDX
_______________

I love the lack of a sense of humor in this blog!

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"But we're trying to bounce back and find our way."

By Jason Reid | November 18, 2009; 2:55 PM ET

Trying to find our way? Doesn't exactly shout confidence. Maybe he's trying to sneak up on Dallas. Lull 'em to sleep with humility.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but crap chasgriffen, saying that a pumpkin milkshake makes someone light in the loafers...I mean, is that really funny?

The two things don't connect, is what I mean.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
______________

I didn't see the game - how well did Levi play, say on a 10 scale?

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'd give Levi an 8 for last week's performance.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

And did anyone ever hear what Levi's deal terms were?

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Damn Nate! Take a deep breath. lol

Panties

Posted by: jm220 | November 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Now, I made a pumpkin cheesecake for thanksgiving last year; I think you can trot out the light in the loafers comment on THAT!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Ladell Betts is preparing to be the main guy in Portis' absence. Portis was not made available to reporters today.

"I just have the accept the responsibility," Betts said. "It’s another opportunity for me to go out and show what I can do."

* Punter Hunter Smith won the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week award for his touchdown pass against Denver.

One of the people who reached out to him about the play was former teammate Peyton Manning.

"He sent me a text, 'Nice TD throw,' and and I sent him back a text, ‘You need to get your quarterback rating up where mine is,'" Smith joked.

For the record, Manning's QB rating is 104.3 (20 TD, 7 INT) and Smith's is 158.3 (1 TD).

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I like hearing Lendy Holmes took reps with the first team. He was nasty at OU and looked great in the preseason, considering our safety play has been as strong to very strong as Ben Stiller's portfolio in Meet the Parents we need a shake up there badly.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

8's pretty damn strong... So if we, say, draft a beast LT (e.g. Okung) in 2010 Levi might be our RT answer?

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I like my coffee flavored, does that make me light as well??

heck, reddmv likes to get his nails done, and dress up like a chick, now that makes him a cross dressing bama, but does that make him light in the loaf....know what...nevermind, answered my own question...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought Philly had some evil fans...

Steelers fan says he was poisoned, blinded by Bears fans
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 18, 2009 2:36 PM ET
Steelers fan Zack Heddinger says he was blinded at a Chicago bar by Bears fans after some trash talking gone awry.

Heddinger was in the Windy City for the Steelers 17-14 loss to Chicago in Week Two.

"Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they offered a drink as a peacemaker from what I understand," Heddinger said.

That's where things get weird.

According to ABC4 in Pittsburgh, Heddinger passed out and his heart stopped four times after he was rushed to a local hospital. Initially, doctors just thought he was drunk. But they quickly suspected something else was up.

Police are now investigating the incident, and the local bar, Kitty O'Shea's, is fully cooperating. Doctors now believe his drink could have been spiked with toxic grain alcohol.

Heddinger says he can't remember what happened that day, but hasn't been able to see since. He's taking oxygen treatments to recover his part of his eyesight, but doctors aren't very hopeful.

"I don't think they tried to kill me. I think they tried to hurt me, but the killing came pretty close," said Heddinger.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I like my coffee flavored, does that make me light as well??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

maybe not, but he's seen one up close.....boondocks saints 2 for those not catching the reference

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I expect JC17 to be up for this one... especially since its a road game -- which he seems to prefer these days.

I'm sure the Cowgirls will make him feel most welcome too -- especially when JC starts fumbling and grumbling about his lack of protection and support.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 18, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston
___________

Crap, dude! Yes it's funny.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, way to try and shift the focus from your homophobic "joke," chasgiff!

For contrast, note how I stand by my response... standing firmly, and yet lightly, in my loafers.

Okay, I'll stop now. I bet you're not really a homophobe, you just like to dabble in homophobia on the internet, right?

F anyone hating on pumpkin milkshakes.
F homophobic remarks presented as "jokes"
F Dallas.

In closing, as my esteemed colleague jm220 notes: panties.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

red told me that in secret, so lets keep it that way....shhhhhhh

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

LMAO! Post of the day

Posted by: jm220 | November 18, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

chasgriffin,

If you make a joke and no one laughs, it's not a joke. Don't blame your audience because they don't think you're funny. Your material was bad.

The right thing to say is "Oops. I was trying to be funny but I guess I wasn't. Sorry." I think I said that once or twice and it worked out better than "Go stuff yourselves because I'm funny and you don't get it."

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I like my coffee flavored, does that make me light as well??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
_______________

Depends on what you flavor it with... raw tobacco, gunpowder, etc... or crushed rose petals, etc.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes chas, calling someone "light in the loafers" is so extremely funny. Yes indeed, the "humor"....wow, just so knee slappingly hysterical.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I could see Levi at RT next year, if they draft Okung (you have to figure Samuels is done, although I suppose he will have the last word on that - the dude may want to try and come back).

Also, I give Levi an 8 based on last week's game. Let's see if he keeps that level of play up this week and going forward.

If so, I think they could have a good OL with LT Okung, LG Dockery, C Rabach, RG Rinehart/Montgomery and Levi at RT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 3:11 PM
-----------------------------------------
Unless three of those eight incomplete passes happen to be to the other team because the QB is so inaccurate (see Tampa Bay game for hole in rationalization). The coaches are trying to accomodate Campbell's inaccuracy in a lot of ways: make the passes shorter where JC is more accurate and has time to step into the pass, make the long pass when you have a receiver in space, help the QB out with motion to see if it's zone or man coverage, help the QB out with play action to get separation, etc. This doesn't make Campbell a better QB. It just makes Sherm Lewis smarter than Jim Zorn.

If Campbell is forced into a situation where he has to hit the long pass, he is going to display the same inaccuracy that he did on just about every deep pass he threw this season. This is a pity because Dallas is going to crowd the line of scrimmage, especially after Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright tagged the Bronco's for over 150 yards rushing last week. This could open up a lot of deep stuff.

Maybe this will be Marko's big week. Throwing deep to someone with a larger wing span might help accomodate some of Campbell's inaccuracy. This might actually be the philosophy of Zorn throwing deep to Kelly earlier this season, but Kelly does not have the wheels.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM

Doesn't it make him light in the stilleto heels?

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

chas, cyanide, and pcb's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams has nipples, Zjfr2. Can you milk him?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Levi has always been pretty good but he gets injured. I don't think he's the answer but he is certainly deserving of a multi year deal and would be a great mentor for 2 young tackles.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"light in the loafers"

=====================

Had no idea what that meant til now.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Man ya'll need to watch some Don Rickles.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel update, via Twitter:

No worries guys,be back in a day or so, had to make room for our newest Saint! Spent the day in the playbook, not even like I missed a day!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 18, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Pumpkin shakes are neutral.

Now if Nate had said he was sipping a cosmopolitan, then the remark would have been warranted.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 3:31 PM

I know its hypothetical, but why would you start the most inexperienced OLman at LT, when Levi Jones has all his experience in the pros at LT and would've developed chemistry with Dockery.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead

You really just need to come out and say you don't like JC. To sit there and pick apart and look for negative things to say when we win and he completed over half his passes. You really just need to let it go man.

Posted by: jm220 | November 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
_______________________

What year is he in, and how many games missed thus far? Some guys have a streak of bad luck but then become injury free for long stretches, esp if young.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that the Bills have contacted Mike Shanahan to gauge Shanahan's interest in becoming their next head coach.

ESPN also reports that the process is underway of arranging a meeting between Shanahan and the Bills.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 18, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not really interested in shanny coming here...if the Zorn/Lewis combo can get this thing right, then go with what you know, dance with who you brung...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to picture a light in the loafers Bama...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930 | November 18, 2009 3:42 PM

Shanahan might be interested until he actually visits Buffalo. Maybe they'll have the meeting in Denver.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21
++++++++++++++++++++++

I sure hope he doesn't come back. If he does, he risks paralysis plus he gives the front office an excuse to ignore the o-line again. He's awesome, but he needs to retire for everyone's sake.

Posted by: REXskins | November 18, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Levi Jones is now the best lineman on our roster. I think the only knock on him is past injuries, and I think the only reason the Bengals let him go was contract size with missing games, just the same as the Skins letting Shawn Springs go. If he stays healty, is should be a very nice pickup. Better than the Deangelo mid season pickup last year, but we’ll see.

And there is some serious over-reacting to the light in his loafers comment……anyone in his right mind can see he was trying to be funny. I guess it would have been okay if he had followed it up with “not that there’s anything wrong with that”….seen that one up here plenty, and nobody ever got their panties in a bunch like today……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 18, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

What, a coach is doing things to help his player perform better. SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!!

ps -- playaction has been a disaster for the most part this season.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:44 PM

Do you make Lewis the OC? What about Smith? I agree if they can continue to look like a pro team, keep the continuity.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 18, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, if you're out there, got some thoughts on a FF trade I just e-mailed your way ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead

Posted by: jm220

He can join Vic if he does. All QBs miss a few those and yes JC missed a few big ones. To complete 2/3rds of your passes is still pretty good.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

This isn't exactly a JC specific problem either. Look at the long ball receivers in this league. Andre Johnson, Marques Colston, Sidney Rice, Miles Austin, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald etc. are all over 6 foot. It's hard to hit the little guys deep. Steve Smith is looking like the maytag man and Lance Moore's fantasy numbers are more of a nightmare. It isn't exactly rocket surgery. You need to go deep with more than just 1 recever and you need to do it more than once a game. The taller guys are much easier to hit.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead

Posted by: jm220 | November 18, 2009 3:39 PM
-------------------------------------------
One game does not a pro-bowl QB make, quoth RedSkinHead.

As for not liking him, I don't know the guy. I don't think he is a great quarterback but that has nothing to do with who he is as a person. He has some flaws, that I think, can be minimized but will occasionally be exposed.

I remember watching Aaron Brooks play a few years ago thinking this guy was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but then teams learned how to play him, learned he couldn't handle man coverage very well because of his accuracy, and then he faded away. Aaron Brooks = Jason Campbell

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 18, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

I think you're pretty much right on this. Jones was highly paid, injured too often and from what I recall, too inconsistent. Not sure if there was an attitude issue with him or not. Talent-wise, he's up there.

So, there are some 'ifs' that come with Jones.

What made no sense to me was that the front office didn't talk seriously to this guy until late October after Samuels went down. The guy can play and its not like we were looking very good at RT.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope Shannahan gets the Bills Job. I hope Mike Holmgren gets the Browns job. I am glad that Gruden is staying at ESPN.

I want one of the following as our next head coach: Russ Grimm, Rob Ryan, Pete Carmichael Jr, or Ron Rivera.

They are all good coordinators right now, they range in age from Grimm (50) to Carmichael (38).

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 3:44 PM

You mean into next season? I don't see Zorn staying regardless. Now if all the big names are gone do they stay in house with Lewis, Danny Smith or Jerry Gray? If the Lewis/Zorn combo works for this season I wouldn't be shocked to see Zorn go and Lewis become the HC.

Otherwise they clean house - Leslie Frazier was spoken highly of last go round, as was the former D-coordinator at Indy, Maybe Billick?

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

You keep referring to his accuracy. I didn't know having a completion % in the mid 60s was considered inaccurate. Yes he misses a few but so does every other QB.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

If there is one thing people with an opinion hate its a cold indisputable fact. the world is flat I say!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

IF JC has a high completion % it's because he rarely throws long.. What's counts is scoring and this was the first time the team scored more than 17 points and the main reason was the punter threw a TD pass.. Put it this way Josh Freeman a rookie playing fot the Bucs.. a worse team than the Redskins... threw 3 TD passes in his 2ND GAME!!! When was the last time Campbell did anything like that??? I would have replaced Campbell already with Collins (Jurgensen agrees and that's good enough for me). Now it looks like Portis should have been replaced by Betts.. Zorn needed to be more flexable with his players.. because he's not is the reason he and Campbell and probably Portis will be gone next season..

Posted by: sovine08 | November 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08

Dude, you have got to be kidding me. JC doesn't call the plays. Its ironic that the offense picked up when the play calling was taken away from Zorn. As Merrill Hodge stated a few weeks ago, Zorn calls play that are for zone coverage when teams are in man and vice versa.

No one is saying that JC is Drew Brees or Manning but he's the best QB we've had in DC in a decade. The way you win is with your O-line and we simply don't have one that's built for any QB right now. Yes they have played the last 6 quarters well but it took 100 year old Joe Bugel to fire them up.

Posted by: dcwun | November 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you gotta be kidding me, you always point to ONE game out of 30 or 40 this SORRY QB has played that may or may not have been a good game, a game to truly point to in his SORRY career.

Give me a break.

I seem to recall Todd Collins beat Dallas at the end of the 2007 season with our playoff hopes on the line.

Why not point to his stats from that game?

Posted by: jsmith33351 | November 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Fire Cerrato - Hire Chris Polian GM
Fire Zorn - Hire Russ Grimm HC

Front office staff to be hired by Polian. Coaching staff to be hired by Grimm. Let these two work together with Polian making off field decisions and Grimm on field decisions. $nyder makes appearance's with fans to mend burnt bridges. Presto!

Posted by: hessone | November 19, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Where is Kevin Barnes in all of this?

Posted by: jaebersole | November 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun
___
Have we been that bad for that long at QB?? Look all I know Brad Johnson was with the team in 2000 and in 1999, Brad had a 90.0 passer rating with 4,005 yards, 24 TDs and 13 INTs. His 316 completions set a Washington team record and his 4,005 passing yards ranks second all-time in Redskins history. He led the Washington Redskins to the playoffs and defeated the Detroit Lions in the first-round before falling to Tampa Bay by a single point the following week. Of course Snyder got rid of him.. staying he couldn't see winning a Super Bowl with Johnson (Johnson won one 2 years later with TB)But more recently say what you will about Brunell and Collins they lead the Skins into the playoffs behind the same line as JC plays behind.. IF JC is better how come he can't get the Skins in the playoffs???

Posted by: sovine08 | November 19, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse