Campbell and Moss Click for Long TDs

But it definitely appears they've clicked the last two weeks.

Campbell and Moss teamed on a 57-yard touchdown in the third quarter of a 19-14 loss in Week 3 to the Detroit Lions. And in Sunday's 16-13 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, they combined on a 59-yard touchdown in the third.

"I think he's getting the feel of me now. I give him those looks every day in practice when he overthrows me like, 'Man, c'mon.' Like five years, you should know me now. But you can't really judge practice all the time. Just the way you play in the game, I mean, it's a difference. Sometimes in practice, you're not going to fully and go get those balls. When I run that route so well, too, that I think he's got a feel of it now."

By Jason Reid  |  October 5, 2009; 1:18 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins to Audition Punters
Next: Healthy Again, Doughty Delivers

Comments

One silver lining, anyway...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

OUCH...thats some faint praise from Moss....some left handed compliment type deal.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Bean, seriously?

3 different playcallers/systems?

Lack of good WRs?

A bad O-line?

The FO trying to trade him, repeatedly?

An impatient and maniacal fan base?

And he's been a stand up guy, a leader, and in my opinion, a servicable QB.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 5, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sonny wanted to bench Soupy in the first quarter. But what does a HOF QB know about QBing....

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

cl, no kidding huh, wow....

that was moss calling out jc and his ability to throw the long ball.....does moss read RI?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

WOW is that a back handed compliment or what??? LOL 5 years come on man!

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cl,

I picked that up as well. Maybe he should get open more often. Where is the picture guy today? During the broadcast yesterday they were showing how Talib and Barber werent giving the skins receivers an inch of space.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 5, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow...

Santana came oss a little luke warms there at best.

What a beautiful pass though...caught it on the highlights...perfect pass.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Kelly and Thomas have been disappointments, but sometimes I think JC makes his job harder than it is.

He appears to be unwilling to throw the ball before the WR breaks much of the time, which means the CB gets time to recover if he's beat. If nothing else, he is late with the ball far too often - something else that can make any WR look worse than they are.

JC has a ways to go. Whether he'll make some of those improvements as the year goes on is anyone's guess.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse
---

Reposted yet again, since we are going through threads like a knife through butter now...

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

not sure what else needs to be said, that Moss didn't say......."I think he's getting the feel of me now"....too late it appears....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, Moss is the man.

If anyone does have a right to call out the clowns on this offense it is Moss.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

hmm..i don't think Moss has a right...he still only had 2 catches. I'd give the only "right" to Cooley.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is that you are going to have some picks, even three in a game sometimes, when you aggressively go downfield. He needs to pick his spots better and execute better, but I like the aggression. He'll have better luck most of the time.

The ball to Malcolm Kelly needed more air under it to make it a true "jump" ball, but otherwise I like the mentality that if he sees 1-on-1 with one of our big receivers he is going to throw it.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

The main problem was, according to Zorn, pass protection, which disrupted quarterback Jason Campbell's rhythm. "It took awhile" to get him back on track.

"I try to give him the kind of patterns and rhythms of a pass pattern that he's comfortable with until he gets that rhythm back," Zorn said about working with Campbell. "But eventually you have to play the game, you have to beat the defense."

Something about this doesn't sit well with me....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 5, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Even in their fifth season together, quarterback Jason Campbell and wide receiver Santana Moss still are trying to get in sync on deep balls.

But it definitely appears they've clicked the last two weeks."

I wouldn't call the TD against Detroit as a deep ball...more along the lines of a 20-25 yard throw and yards after the catch.

Regardless, I'll take any TD...but I don't think Moss and JC are "clicking" on deep balls based on 1 throw.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 5, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Eagles get the Bucs in Philly this Sunday. If they only manage to win by three or so I will feel somewhat better. But they will probably win by at least 20 pts.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

If he doesn't know his receivers at this point, what makes any of you think that he'll suddenly figure out his receivers, the QB position, or opposing defenses?

Moss sums it up perfectly because I give those same "wtf" looks at the screen, and I think the same "... by now." theory.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I dont care if he averages a pick a game... that said he threw 3 almost 4 beaned a ref in the head had 2 batted down and lost another fumble... that resulted in a score

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Five years! There are Qb's and WR's on the same page after 5 games. Are we the only team that has their playbook written in Chinese?

Posted by: djorl | October 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If Moss was JC's underneath check-down option you can be assured that he'd have had more than 2 catches. A week ago he had 10.

Moss has averaged 1000 yards a season since he's been a Skin, and that is doubly impressive when you consider the kinds of anemic run-first offenses he's been on, and that he's never had a legit #2 receiver opposite him. He runs great routes (short and long), has great hands, is a big-play threat everytime he catches the ball and will take a punt to the house every now and again. He holds the Skins single-season receiving record, and he's single-handedly won games for this team. He's never thrown a teammate or coach under the bus.

So, I reiterate my declaration:

Moss is the man, and if anyone has the right to call out these clowns on offense, it is him.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 5, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Only thing I will point out...and it is completely anecdotal...is that last year a very similar bomb to beat New Orleans in Week 3 or 4 sparked an offensive surge that took us to two road division wins and a 6-2 record. I guess we'll see.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think he is saying to call some pass plays that can give Campbell a bit of confidnece.

Listening to the game on the radio yesterday Sonny and Sam were commenting that JC17 seemed hesitant at the outset. And then a fumble and a pick or two and that was ll she wrote for the first half.

Whatever was said during the halftime seemed to get him back in focus. With the kind of pressure JC17 has, its a wonder he hasnt had more games like yesterday.

Was the Bucs defense (Talib) that aggressive or were they bad passes.

Even great QBs get picked off but it is usually a spectacular play by the CB...was this the case yesterday?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Referee thing was a freak play. It's the ref's job not to interfere, but sometimes it happens. Should have been a "12 men on defense" penalty.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 1:34 PM

apparently the same thing that a Hall of Fame Basketball Player in Michael Jordan knows about being a basketball GM.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 5, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

mhaslup1 - I hope that's all it takes for the offense to surge...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 5, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Was the Bucs defense (Talib) that aggressive or were they bad passes.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They were terrible passes. Something just looked completely off about the way campbell was throwing the ball. He wasn't even close. The 1 pick he underthrew the ball by about 10 yards and the CB just slowed down a bit and caught it. He beaned the ref in the face with a pass. He missed portis on a flip out pass and missed fred davis on a screen. There was a stretch there where he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn standing in it with the door closed. I don't know what happened. I've never seen him throw like that before. He was under pressure in the first half but in the second they were able to get the defense to back off a bit and they set Campbell up with some quicker drops. He hit some incredibly tough throws but then he has a few WTF passes too.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 5, 2009 1:50 PM

Not talking about GM ing. Apparently you know more than Sonny. Is that your point?

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You know, I been talking a lot of s*** about Jim Zorn this season. I thought the passing deficiencies on offense were charged to:

Zorn: 65%
Campbell: 30%
Offensive Line: 5%

A few games in and this has drastically changed:

Zorn: 45%
Campbell: 45%
Offensive Line: 10%

I think Zorn is only calling pass plays that Campbell feels comfortable with.

Bean, I think that's why you see Campbell only pass to Cooley and Moss because on those given plays those are his "hot reads".

Zorn's not in the clear because he still doesn't know when to call certain plays.

Offensive line gets a share because they've been the problem for a while. As much as I'm not sold on Campbell, I'd be lying if I were to suggest the QB pocket is never compromised. It breaks down often.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Daggar!!

This post is basically a reflection as to why MK12 et. al can't buy a basket. Even Sanatana is trying to adjust to JC17's throw's because of his inaccuracies....

PSP, you gotta clean up this mess for JC....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I hate to live vicariously through you guys but I am wondering how the O-Line held up. Sounded like he took some sacks and was pressured quite a bit.

But it also sounds like he absoultely did NOT want to throw the ball at that point. Thats when Sonny made the comment to bench him.

Not so much he was playing poorly, but in Sonny's estimation, he didnt want to play at all at that point.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Santana is indeed a wonderful receiver and a gifted route runner. Let's also remember his tendency to drop passes when needed.

With that said, if Campbell and Moss can truly get a chemistry going in a season (they were in sync last year early until the better teams wised up), then this year will have the team get better and better.

I'm sorry but the Kelly and Thomas experiment is a failure - time to let Marko Mitchell have a try.

I love watching Chris Cooley play - not the most athletic runner, but he does not go down easy. He is way under utilized - if the defenses are going to double Santana, Cooley should be used and used and used. Throw in a little of Betts and Mike Sellers (way under utilized IMHO as a pass receiver out of the backfield).

Posted by: laserwizard | October 5, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I would like to Sellers get more goal line work. Seems like he would be a pretty hard guy to bring down.

I have been all over Portis as well and glad to see he showed me what a dunsky I am sometimes. Sounds like he ran pretty hard yesterday and was able to bounce around instead of hitting a pile and dropping

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

So, I reiterate my declaration:

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying Moss is in any sense not good but it still doesn't give him solely the right to call out his team. That's all I'm saying. And by the way...your last comment "He's never thrown a teammate or coach under the bus"....I love the Skins and Moss but he just did. Maybe very subtle but it was definitely a slap to Campbell's face.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Soups been sacked 8 times, good for 12th. Shawn Hill (UMD)? 13 times, good for 2nd. 3-1.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who cr@pped in all your guys oatmeal but I went to bed and woke up HAPPY WITH A REDSKINS WIN!!!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss is the anti Thomas - Kelly. The only thing huge about him is his heart, I'm sure that he is 5 ft 10 only after some time on the stretching rack. Kelly and Thomas should forget about thinking that they have arrived and their websites proclaiming how great they are until they actually start contributing to this team. I know that when Santana is the punt returner, he strikes a real fear in the other team. Almost a Darrell Green affect. Santana Rules!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

5 years? Most only get three, two if they're lucky.

Rypien11, I'll say the fanbase has been more than patient and most definitely supportive. This year is the first time you've heard fans really boo the Redskins like that.

I mean damn, if you keep catching your lady cheating, at what point to do dump that skank?

Fans are tired of showing patience, loyalty, and understanding, and have it reciprocated with mediocrity or flat out suckness.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

One silver lining, anyway ...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 1:31 PM

silver? In the words of Rod Blagojevich, its [*&#%$%@] GOLDEN!

Greg@1:43pm (and 4th Floor from previous threads), pass protection was a problem. I'll say it again. He didn't have time to set on 7 step drops and he would have to reset on 5 step drops. Pass protection was a problem. The started clicking in the second half on plays calling for a three step drop and release ... completing pass IN SPITE OF the (problem) pass protection.

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I know alot of people would like to see if a QB other than JC17 would be able to connect with MK12, DT11, and Sleepy...but I'd like to see what JC could do behind the Giants O-Line...bet it would be a lot better...

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

One thing I'm happy about...I'd like to see a game that means something when I get to go to FedEx against KC. At least we won't be 1-4 then.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

4th, you can't possibly clean that up....there is no spin that you can put on that one.... "Like five years, you should know me now"......thats all you need to know about this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: filmchis

That's like saying: Yeah my lady cheated on me, but at least I'm married.

With this thinking you cheat your damn self, and you settle for mediocrity.

Sorry for wanting something more substantial.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 1:36 PM

----------

Reposting and responding to your own comment?

mmmmmmmmkay!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 5, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 1:58 PM

Do you think it's specific plays or concepts? I get the impression from Zorn that certain concepts the players are more comfortable with. In which case, I'd think he'd designs different plays based on that conceptual framework which should lead to different plays, formations,etc and different players making an impact in the passing game.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Red,

I see your point, but I'm wondering, could it be possible that this team has reached it's ceiling? I just keep getting the feeling that alot of people feel we're only a QB away from being a 11-win type of team...I just think there are too many other problems, and that we are what we are...too high expectations maybe?

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Truth and Politics

Truth: "I was just happy he didn't [overthrow] me," Moss said of Campbell's long pass against Tampa Bay. "He's one of those guys, man, that he don't know his own arm strength. He put it out there. I was just able to go get it. It might rank up there with one of the best ones he threw. I think he's getting the feel of me now. I give him those looks every day in practice when he overthrows me like, 'Man, c'mon.' Like five years, you should know me now.

Politics: But you can't really judge practice all the time. Just the way you play in the game, I mean, it's a difference. Sometimes in practice, you're not going to fully and go get those balls. When I run that route so well, too, that I think he's got a feel of it now."

In sum, Campbell has no touch or feel.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Pass protection wasn't nearly as bas as the overall QB play from Jason Campbell.

The days are over of just putting ALL the blame on the offensive line. They're not great, but the problems in the passing running game isn't ALWAYS on them.

I think fans grew accustomed to using that cop out all the time every year.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

did Aaron Rogers go 1 pick before JC??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: filmchis

That's like saying: Yeah my lady cheated on me, but at least I'm married.

With this thinking you cheat your damn self, and you settle for mediocrity.

Sorry for wanting something more substantial.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You want something more substantial than a WIN?!!!!!!

NOTHING IN A FOOTBALL GAME IS MORE SUBSTANTIAL THAN A WIN!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Sorry your wife is cheating on you, but I starting to see her reasoning!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

did Aaron Rogers go 1 pick before JC??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yup, but Aaron was projected as a top 5 pick. JC was projected as a mid second rounder.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM

Time to cut bait and put in the only QB on the roster that has taken DC to the playoffs and start looking for the future QB.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

That's like saying: Yeah my lady cheated on me, but at least I'm married.

With this thinking you cheat your damn self, and you settle for mediocrity.

Sorry for wanting something more substantial.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse
--------------------

Totally understand, I want a better product, too.

Now, what as fans can we do to get what we want?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

LeranedHand:

I was once told you play like how you practice.

I wonder if anyone else has heard that before in their lifetime?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Sonny is a huge loser for asking Zorn if he thought about benching Campbell in the post game.

Sonny shut up, support the team or shut up. You WERE good a LONG time ago. Now, you aren't good anymore.

You liked Frerotte? and your picking on Campbell?

Campbell 10th in yards with 85+ passer rating, so everyone who wants to bench him, especially Sonny, is lame

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Is basically what I've been sugeesting....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Just when you think fans can't get any dumber, you somehow find a way.

JC sucks because he connected with Santana Moss in stride for 56 yard TD pass.

MK12 is a pro-bowl level talent that's being outperformed by Moss, Cooley, ARE, Betts, Sellers, Portis, and Rock Cartwright, is on pace to being outproduced by David Patten, Brandon Lloyd, James Thrash, and Keenan McCardell from recent years past, all because his QB can't seem to find him past all the other options currently outproducing him.

Spot on. Wish I had seen this earlier.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Look my friend, there's a difference between rightly calling out teammates and "throwing them under the bus".

Throwing teammates under the bus is the crap that TO pulls, or when Portis says to a magazine that he wished he could run behind the Vikings Oline instead of his own.

Moss was actually trying to say good things about JC. That's the irony of the statement. He was trying to compliment JC's arm-strength, and note that they finally may be clicking together.

The rest of us are the ones reading subtle criticisms into what he said.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

mattyliiiight, what the business homie?

Yeah, I think that the fans expect this team to be a super bowl team every year. (See 4th Floor's 16-0 prediction) So when they come out the gate stumbling or fall flat on their faces, the fans due to all the excitement, optimism, and energy they put into the team, turns into apathy or hate, pessimism, and dullness.

TWISI, I think that it's just Zorn calling whatever play he knows Campbell can make out there. From those selected plays, like you suggested, I think he tries to modify those formations and plays. That's when he tries to flex his football acumen.

I'm not sure if Zorn is built like that though.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Do the Redskins end up with a top 10 pick this year? If they do they should be able to end up with a good QB(Locker, McCoy, Bradford, Snead).

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

In the ESPN980 pregame show Jurgenson said this about JC: He fails to anticipate where to throw the ball based on what the defense is showing presnap and immediately after the snap (paraphrasing). This, I believe, is the ultimate problem and is exacerbated by his lengthy delivery. These two problems greatly outweigh his armstrength. On the other hand, I believe that even though Collins has a terrible arm, he has far superior anticipation than JC. This was the reason for his success in the 'skins playoff run, and that is why he would be more successful now. It is time to make the switch before.

Kyle Orton is a current example of how this theory applies. And it is for this reason that McDaniels was willing to trade Cutler to the Bears for Orton rather than to the 'skins for JC.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Is basically what I've been sugeesting....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:21 PM

Yup. How about this one from a coach: "It's not pay to play rec ball. Playing time is earned."

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:09 PM

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Is basically what I've been sugeesting....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse
----------------------

All this seems very reactionary. As another poster said, we ask for Campbell to be more aggressive and take more chances, then we want to bench him the first time he's ever thrown 3 INT's.

He's an average QB at this point, and no better - but after 4 games and a 2-2 record, I wouldn't switch QB's just yet. Heck, I thought we were firing Zorn. This week it's Campbell.

Maybe they will get better...or maybe this is what is. One thing is certain: Collins is not our future - he's just insurance against an injury.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | October 5, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Would you care to present evidence of this "tendency" to drop passes when needed?

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

psp, spin away....spin away.....I'm going with what Moss said in this instance.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

You liked Frerotte? and your picking on Campbell?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Look, Mrs. Campbell.

I know it's tough to stomach the criticism of your little boy. We know you love him dearly. It's not personal. It's just that your son played like total CRAP in the first hald and the question about benching him was a fair one.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

the oline gave up pressure on the first drive. other than that and for most of the season they have done a decent job of giving JC time. ITS THE NFL defenses get paid too and they are going to get to the QB sometimes. Especially in our division you have pressure defenses, pressure is a reality in this league, expecting to never see it and calling plays expecting perfect protection at all times is foolish. The difference between us and say a team led by a good QB like Drew Brees is we make excuses when we play a pressure defense and Brees heading into the Jets game was saying we know they are going to blitz but we're ok with that, it means if I make a quick decision and get it to the right matchup one broken tackle is 6 points. WE call 7 step drops, wonder why we get pressure, kick 3 fields goals and blame the oline. I know we have a below average oline, it shows up most in the run game, but from a pass pro perspective these guys haven't been that bad the philosophy of play calling needs to match up with reality not hope for something that isn't a possibility. They showed a great graphic before the Sunday night game of a Colts game against some blitz, they had one deep route called and 2 quick routes, basically it was a play where if they pick up the blitz they have a one on one deep play opportunity if not he has two quick outlets.....the play started, Manning immediately saw they didn't have the blitz picked up and he got rid of it in 1.5 seconds for a 13 yard gain. Two guys coming free never got close.....when is the last time the Skins remotely came close to getting a pass off in 1.5 seconds.....here's a hint, it was during TC 6 game run as our QB and NFL player of the month.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone needs to take some advice from Dr. Leo Marvin's book "Baby Steps".

If it worked for Bob Wiley than it can work for Redskin Fans!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"We knew he wasn't going to be Peyton Manning and sit back there and go through one, two, three, four reads. We knew they were going to condense it for him, give him one or two reads, and if it wasn't there he was going to run."

which qb was this said about from yesterday??

Could this easily have been said about JC??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Wouldn't have made the playoffs that year without Campbell's wins either. They all count the same and I know I was wishing Campbell were healthy in that Seattle game.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:20 PM

I'd rather just blame the media too. They obviously hate the Redskins, and have an agenda against the front office. That's why the team stinks. "WR-TE-WR." Studid media.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 5, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

To all the folks saying Collins isnt our future NO SJKs the problem is Campbell isnt either.... Campbell wont be here next year they didnt want him this year. WHAT has he done so far to prove them wrong??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You want something more substantial than a WIN?!!!!!!

NOTHING IN A FOOTBALL GAME IS MORE SUBSTANTIAL THAN A WIN!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Sorry your wife is cheating on you, but I starting to see her reasoning!

Posted by: filmchis

Now see Ryp11, this is why I go all cuckoo on a mf'er. Now why did he think he had to be clever and add that bs in their at the end?

My analogy wasn't directed at him, but he wanted to crack jokes and score some "tee-hee's", so he thought he'd include that.

It would be half-ass funny if I were married.

Learn the players first, scrub.

You know, I won't even go there with this dude. It's obvious that he want to get drawn and some long back and forth that I to be honest, simply don't have the strength or nerve to do.

Yeah, jerk-off, something more substantial then a win is called a win with substance.

But you wouldn't know that flunking out of comedy 101 with your lame ass.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sup Red,

Just trying to make sense of it all, bro. I for one don't think JC is that bad. I think he ain't that mentally tough, and that all the offseason stuff coupled with the team's rough start is too much for him to overcome. I thought he played pretty well for much of last season, and had flashes the year before, and remember how much people like Troy Aikman would compliment him when given the chance. There might be too much crap that's happened now for him to ever get over the hump, but I don't question his ability as much as I do the fact that mentally, he's prolly pressing with 90,000 booing fans and an owner and GM who have already showed they don't believe in him...

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Anybody on here a College Football guru? Who are the O linemen that are highly regarded that we may land this year? Any sleeper running backs? I hope we do not draft a QB, cause that means neglecting the O line and that is what we need to build.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

psp, in the words of that great philosopher Foghorn Leghorn: "You're doing a lot of choppin', but no chips are flyin'."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@Shaun - I've felt like this since the 1st game. And as each game passes, my notions get further confirmations.

Remember, Gibbs benched Ramsey as soon as he saw an opening. And we went to the playoffs.

@PSP - Love the fact you didn't address the subject matter of this post. That's Cap Hill Speak right there...

@RedDMV - I said 15-1 this year. But I say 16-0 like every year cuz I am not in the 'predicting losses' business. So You can't use me as an example. I've been saying 16-0 since 1994. And I will say 16-0 next year. And I am saying 14-2 this year as my updated prediction.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

You want something more substantial than a WIN?!!!!!!

NOTHING IN A FOOTBALL GAME IS MORE SUBSTANTIAL THAN A WIN!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Sorry your wife is cheating on you, but I starting to see her reasoning!

Posted by: filmchis

It would be half-ass funny if I were married.

Learn the players first, scrub.

But you wouldn't know that flunking out of comedy 101 with your lame ass.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected! Now I know why your not married!!

You got some issues, bro!

I love how your posting that your not going to post!!! :) F N BRILLIANT, MEAT!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

'Yeah, you're right. Clearly NOBODY else in the stadium, or watching on the tv (or on whatever portable technology device thingy they're using these days), thought "Hmmm, I wonder if Coach Z is giving any thought to benching Campbell in the 2nd half."'

I'm one of his biggest backers, and I was calling for the same thing.

Fortunately for us, we were ALL wrong. Campbell put the team on his back in the second half. And we won.

Of course, anything less than a 300+ yard, 3 TD day ('cause we all know 340 yards, 2TDs isn't enough), a comeback victory, pristine excellence in the red zone, around 80% completion efficiency, and 30 ppg for the rest of the season will probably get "bench JC" chants at this point. Apparently, winning just ain't enough anymore.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

5 years? didn't brunell start the first 2.5?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

But you wouldn't know that flunking out of comedy 101 with your lame ass.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You went easy on him, Red.

This clown needs someone to go cookoo on him to clear up his head a little bit.

He's talking about how wins are all that matter, does he want to look at this team's record over the past 10 years??

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

If you know Collins isn't our future, then you let Campbell finish out the year knowing he has to improve or it's over. If this is what the team is, then there isn't any reason not to let him finish it out. If the team has the potential to improve, he'll have to play better for that to happen. Either way, you get answers.

If Collins comes in, and we get the playoffs, that's great..but what do we do from there? How old is the guy? And what makes anyone think he'll last back there with the rush he'll be seeing anyways?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Umm ... Jarmon showed some good hustle on that roll back into stop the run that resulted in the stripped ball ... and Dallas lost. Dallas, that team run by that plastic face who tries to compete with The Owner ... they lost.

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I woulda put Collins in... if we were still running the Al Saunders offense he spent 23 years practicing, reviewing on various clipboards, and occasionally running in live game action.

Campbell is disappointing me this season, and he hasn't lived up to my faith in him -- I was a "he's going to turn the corner this season and be consistently good to great" guy -- but he's still the best QB on the roster, and he's apparently capable of helping the team win some of its games against terrible opponents.

I'm eager to see whether he can help the team win the next two games on the schedule, which happen to be against terrible opponents. I sure would like to be 4-2 going into the tough stretch... nine out of our last ten games are against teams that appear to be much better than we have been so far.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So we diss all-time Redskin greats? We discount the opinion of a HOF QB that had to call his own plays (therefor making his criticism of Zorn's play-calling VALID) and actually played the QB position (therefor making his criticism of Jason Campbell VALID)

Good job there, Pabrian. Campbell couldn't carry Sonny's flask on empty.

Get the f outta here with the Jurgensen hate.

WTF is really good around here? Hating on all-time, HOF, REDSKIN quarterbacks?

I swear the lengths some will go to argue their points is insane.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Any O-lineman from USC in the draft will help DC.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

How dare Sonny (as key postgame interviewer for the Redskins Network) ask a question all of Redskins nation thought or spoke out loud at halftime, during his postgame interview of the QB and coach. UNTHINKABLE! And what does he know about football anyway...LOSER!HATER!WITCHDOCTOR!

(OK my head now aches from the constant sarcastic eye rolling)

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

No, I'll take the win.

I'm just not ready to send JC17 to the Pro Bowl considering it was his total ineptitude that set the stage for the grand comeback.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Whoops... I said nine of our last ten games are against teams that appear to be much better than we have been so far... I forgot that two of those nine are against Dallas, and I would not say Dallas has been "much better" than the Skins so far.

Hip hip hooblah...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, I suspect that the team's record over the past 10 years, has in fact, had a certain number of wins...and losses...and, one tie, no, that happened more than 10 years ago.

So, to your thirst for "substantial" wins - if the Redskins win 8 of their next 12 games by between 1 and 6 points, will you actually care that none of them are "substantial" wins?

I see your point, but I think you're making too big a deal of it.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@p1funk

I would think Moss' comments would be criticism a while ago but after several years, I think this is maybe not "throwing under the bus" but maybe driving across his foot or something but this seemed like a very lackluster attempt at "complementing his QB".

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

He's talking about how wins are all that matter,

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

------

Yea, that's just crazy talk.

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

psp, I like your posts, but Santana Moss said that its been 5 years, and STILL JC and he still aren't on the same page.....trying to spin this is just straight tart....SMoss is saying that JC has no touch on the deep ball, read that a couple times, just so that it sinks in....what more do you need than that??

A win is great, but how about some progress, how about scoring more than 20 points?? We've played the bucs and lions, and we've been able to score a WHOPPING 30 points COMBINED.....how about ripping off, I don't know, 30 points on teams that suck......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Before Sunday i liked Rogers but I have had it. I think he is a great cover corner (he will get beat sometimes when left man to man but that happens to all corners) but the man just can not catch the ball. I would rather take someone with less cover skills but better hands that could change the game around. If we can sign him for cheap at the end of the year then go for it but something tells me a team is going to reach for him and i pray that we don't try and match.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 5, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

anyone who thinks Collins is better than Campbell is a know-nothing loser.

You too Sonny. Is Sonny racist? his name is Adolf and he liked Frerotte, but not Campbell.

Frerotte. Frerotte?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

p1, the dude obviously had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck for a few hours while in the womb.

"Men are what their mothers made them." - Emerson

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

You know JC could come back at Moss and say "well I would know you if you wasn't dealing with a hamstring injury ever year sitting out of practice and some games."

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

MattyLight are you kidding me!? granted there are worse QB's but a few "flashes" over 4 years isnt going to cut it in the NFL! and boo hoo the media is hard on him the fans are hard on him, he has had 2 many coaches/coordinators. He is supposed to be a professional he is getting paid good money to play football... How about guys like Mark Sanchez or h#ll any other QB from the same draft class as Campbell??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Shaun and Nate - thank you for your posts, they say what I spend too much time trying to say.

RedDMV - that's very good for you. At least he was getting personal... all I had to do was slightly exaggerate ONE thing you said to be the victim of abuse.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I hoped this season JC would show something so we could keep him at QB for a couple more years while we address other needs.

After this Sunday team needs.

1. QB
2. O-line
3. LB
4. RB

Hey at least Jarmon got out there and made a play.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

I remember, and it worked out great - for that year.

The next year, with no QB in the stable and an old Brunell, we washed out at 5-11.

My point is I don't want a quick fix. I want us to find a long term solution, and Collins isn't it. If Campbell can't get it done this year, he won't get his extension and the Redskins will need to draft a QB high (no, not Brennan...please). If he gets things turned around and the team improves markedly, you have the discussion of whether he is your guy for the long haul.

Going to Collins leaves us with definitely no Campbell, and having to draft a QB no matter what, since Collins is in the twilight of his career. That scenario is going to happen with Todd at the helm whether he and we are succesful this year or not.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If we could somehow merge the best traits of Carlos and DeAngelo we'd have one hell of a cornerback, wouldn't we?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Collins had 2 years in the WCO before Zorn came to DC....Older QB's have won Super Bowls.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003
please stop quoting stats on JC.. A large portion of his positive stats were acquired in prevent Defenses of the two losses. The Skins were behind by 2 possessions (2 TDs to win) in each of those losses with 5 minutes to go in the game. .. Look at the stats, play by play.... Coupla worthless TDs and JC got anything he wanted up the middle as the Defense WANTED him to throw those and chew up time and skin's time outs. Everyone thought it meant JC was great at the shotgun and calling his own plays.. bs.. It was because the D played soft and stayed back to prevent deep long quick strike TD passes. Zorn knew this in the Lions game thus, the inane lateral call on the last play of the game. But, hey.. JC got a completion in his stats on that play, too!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:20 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Damn Beans, you're bringing it today, no bs!

Hey funny dude, 'filmthese' or whatever you call yourself, the above statement is what I was talking about.

Get a clue then get familiar.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM

psp, you know I love you but you are the king of overstatement. Campbell did throw for two scores but the defense and TB's soon to be unemployed place kicker saved his bacon by preventing TB from converting his miscues into more points. His 4th qtr pick allowed TB to close within a FG and but for that kid fumbling after getting a first down who knows what would have happened. The stars were aligned for your boy. Take it and walk away but don't act as if it was grand performance. It was against one of two worst teams in the entire NFL.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

No doubt psps. I've never been up here as a JC basher. It all starts with the OLine. Always has, always will.
You get "The Hogs" and you win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs over a decade. You get an OLine that has the QB running for his life on a 5 step drop (not to mention the 7 step), well there's the rub.

Add to that the "WR-TE-WR" that either can't get open, or look so bad in practice that they can't get on the field, and 5 years later it's still Moss/Cooley/Nobody.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Pabrian stop with the racist implications

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Campbell played very poorly in the 1st half, but did anyone notice how he got sacked on 2 of the first 3 plays because the right side of our line caved in? Not to make excuses, but the Skins have essentially one side of an O-Line, Moss, Cooley, and a banged up Portis. Defenses know that all they have to do is put 7 men in the box to stop Portis, double to Moss' side, and make sure that Cooley doesn't hurt them on anything deep.

Neither Kelly or Thomas has shown any ability to get seperation, catch a jump ball, or gain yardage after the catch. No one would confuse either of them with Brandon Marshall who would make JC look a whole lot better than he is playing now.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

When it was your freaking fault you're down 10-0 (shoulda been 16-0) to arguably the worst team in the league that every other team has absolutely lit up then no, barely winning another home game against the dregs of the NFL is not enough. 170 yards 2 TDs and 4 turnovers is not enough. Pretending he's a good qb now because they won the game is idiotic and being happy with a 3 point win against the Bucs is even dumber. Final score be damned this team is fading from its spot of perennial mediocrity to absolute crap quickly.....if you can't see that then you shouldn't go applying for any positions as the designated writing on the wall reader or senior elephant in the room spotter.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Bama talking bulljive at it's finest.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"So yeah - it was good of him to come out in the 2nd half and clean up the pile crap on the field. Of course, since he's the one who left it there in the first place, it's the least he could have done."

And if him leaving that pile of crap on the field in the first place was a regular pattern, I'd be freaking out too. But it isn't. It's the first time he's ever thrown 3 INTs in a game.

Last week it was 'he does nothing to lose us the game, but he does nothing to win it either.' This week it's 'yea he won us the game, but he's the reason we would have lost it, if we actually did lose it' (which we didn't). Both have now gotten the Bench JC crowd into a massive orgy, so the ultimate conclusion is that nothing less than perfection will get him off the hot seat.

So whateves. He'll deal with it. We're 2-2 with 12 games to go.

Now if only someone could get Portis back on track...

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Come on Bench,

I know where you stand, and anything other than a "JC sucks" is gonna get a response from you. You're definitely entitled to your opinion, though. But the doom and gloom thing is just a little much for me, that's where we differ. JC is a professional, he's dealt with all of this with class, and no he hasn't played well thus far. But there are other circumstances, which have been mentioned at length, that go into that. And please don't mention Mark Sanchez at this point. The guy is 4 games into his career and just threw 3 picks yesterday.

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Men are what their mothers made them." - Emerson

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

-----

I think this quote reflects much more on you. This is why RI has turned into the wretched negative hole that it has become.

You guys just can't stand people enjoying a Redskins Victory!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh so Pabrian is one of those "'Cause my quarterback is black" fans.

Okay, I understand his/her "support" (which really isn't at all) a whole lot better.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

pabrian with tHE Sonny as racist comment has entered ITA land....

Was anyone else a bit puzzled (and relieved) that the Bucs didn't go for a TD at the end of the game. I mean you are 0-3, you haven't moved the ball since the first quarter and JC was a turnover machine...why not take a shot to win the game there....

I thought it was odd.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

red, I mean, great we won, but it was the same thing that has plagued us for years, we're not making forward progress, we're not improving as a team.....then Moss comes out and say's what he says and still people want to spin this like its not JC......I don't get it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

You guys just can't stand people enjoying a Redskins Victory!

Posted by: filmchis

*yawwwwwwwwn*

Red tired, Red sleepy....

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Attention all JC haters. Please see information below:

Last Fumble Return for TD: 53 games ago 01/07/2006*at TB (Sean Taylor; 51 yds)

Last Blocked FG Return TD: 605 gms ago 09/24/1972 vs. StL (Mike Bass; 32 yds)

Last Blocked Punt Return TD: 78 gms ago 11/07/2004 at Det (Walt Harris; 13 yds)

Last Interception Return TD: 30 gms ago 10/21/2007 vs. Ari (London Fletcher; 27 yds)

Last Kickoff Return TD: 50 games ago 09/17/2006 at Dal (Rock Cartwright; 100 yds)

Last Punt Return TD: 11 gms ago 10/26/2008 at Det (Santana Moss; 80 yds)

What does this tell us? He isn't getting any big plays from his defense or special teams dim wits.

The Ravens get Flacco a defensive TD every other week it seems. Kinda takes the pressure off a bit doesn't it? One had washes the other in this man's game. This isn't Madden or NFL 2K10.

Bow down to the factual oasis of ElFreako!!

Posted by: elfreako | October 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The big story of the day should be....how did an extra point get blocked?!

Posted by: svxcountry1

Ronde Barber drank a gallon of JP-4, farted, and lit his afterburner.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drfunknsoul | October 5, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

You guys just can't stand people enjoying a Redskins Victory!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Should be a victory with a lower case v.

TB lost that game more than the Redskins won it.

I'm sure everyone here is in someway happy skins got the w, but be realistic how enjoyable is it to beat a previously winless team by 3?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

i think JC gives santana that same look every time he drops a first down," 20 some odd yrs this guy has been playing football and he still can't catch"

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"Sonny is one of my all time favorite 'skins, but it's easy to make those decisions when you're sitting in the announcer's booth!

Posted by: drfunknsoul

Its easy, granted, but additionally its his j-o-b to comment and opine about the game while sitting in the announcer's booth.

Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Big Mike Williams?

Heyer looked pretty bad out there yesterday.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, they're only 4 years beyond schedule... and mebbe not even then, given that mid-deep pass against the zone l8r in the game.

...ugh.

FJZ

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

No worries, mattylight..Campbell beats out Sanchez... JC achieves 3 picks AND a fumble. Took JC 4 years to master. Dam..its the new system, again..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

My loyalty lies with the team, not the individual.

The never-ending Excuse Factory that gears up every Monday to defend this lousy QB is bizarre, to say the least.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

uhhh.behind schedule. srry . multi-taskin.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Last Fumble Return for TD: 53 games ago 01/07/2006*at TB (Sean Taylor; 51 yds)

Last Blocked FG Return TD: 605 gms ago 09/24/1972 vs. StL (Mike Bass; 32 yds)

Last Blocked Punt Return TD: 78 gms ago 11/07/2004 at Det (Walt Harris; 13 yds)

Last Punt Return TD: 11 gms ago 10/26/2008 at Det (Santana Moss; 80 yds)

Bow down to the factual oasis of ElFreako!!

Posted by: elfreako

You are familiar with the expression "Lies, damned lies and statistics?"

Yeah, but not this time, freak. Nice use of math to make an excellent point. No bowing down going on tho, a polite nod is all you'll get from me. I'm kinda like Larry David is with apologies.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss' opinion isn't substantial enough, Bean.

The fans who are a "wait and see" phase after a full 1 and 1 quarter season of play from Jason Campbell are the same ones who'd still be paying taxes, bills, and purchasing other goods, if scientists had concrete proof, like videos and pictures of a comet or asteroid heading dead straight for Earth, scheduled to impact in 90 days.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Now if only someone could get Portis back on track...

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope so, because Heyer is getting exposed in pass pro. How does man that big get lifted off his feet? Hopefully Rhino doesn't regress as much as Heyer has, because then...you know SJK.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | October 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see an offensive takle taken with the first round pick. We not only need a replacement for Stephon Heyer but we need to start grooming Chris Samuels replacement. There are a lot of first round tackles, second round running backs, and hardly any upper round guards/centers. The guys that may go in the first round of the draft are as follows.

Russel Okung RT- Oklahoma state
Brian Bulaga LT- Iowa
Ciron Black LT - LSU
Trent Williams - Oklahoma
Charles Brown LT - USC
Anthony Davis LT - Rutgers
Sam Young - Notre Dame

There's plenty of talent there and this is one of the deepest years I've seen for offensive tackles.

In the second I hope we take a RB. There are a lot of RBs available next year. I assume Dwyer and Spiller will go in the first. These guys may still be available in the second round.

Javhied Best
Evan Royster
Stafon Johnson
LeGarrett Blount
Jonathan Dwyer
Chris Brown
Noel Devine

We used our third rounder on Jarmon.

I want to see a guard or center taken in the 4th. The only guard I could see us taking in the first 2 rounds is that guy from Alabama Mike Johnson.

Sergio Render G - VaTech should be gone by the 4th
Jon Jerry G - Ole Miss should be gone by the 4th
Eric Olsen G - Notre Dame may fall to the 4th
Joe Thomas G - Pitt may fall to the 4th

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Whoa..you are a freako.. guess this stat has everything to do with the Redskins Defense...

"Out of all the 219 passers in NFL history who have thrown at least 900 passes, Campbell ranks in a five-way tie for 201st at 3.1 percent. Only 14 quarterbacks, all nonentities, rank lower."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Attention all JC haters. Please see information below:

Last Fumble Return for TD: 53 games ago 01/07/2006*at TB (Sean Taylor; 51 yds)

Last Blocked FG Return TD: 605 gms ago 09/24/1972 vs. StL (Mike Bass; 32 yds)

Last Blocked Punt Return TD: 78 gms ago 11/07/2004 at Det (Walt Harris; 13 yds)

Last Punt Return TD: 11 gms ago 10/26/2008 at Det (Santana Moss; 80 yds)

Bow down to the factual oasis of ElFreako!!

Posted by: elfreako | October 5, 2009 2:55 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 2:51 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Skins, my point was there isn't any reason to compare JC and Sanchez -- he's been in the league 4 games. Can't make a call one way or the other on him yet. That's all I was saying...

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Anybody think the Eagles score 16 or less against the Bucs next week?

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ummmm wow, way to get this one RI:

The "other" Chris Henry will make the rounds
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 5, 2009 2:55 PM ET
Former Titans running back Chris Henry, a second-round pick in 2007, may not be unemployed for long after getting dumped last week.

The Nashville Tennessean reports that Henry will visit with the Redskins Monday night and Tuesday. If he doesn't sign there, he's headed to Houston to get a look see by the Texans.

Henry's old position coach Sherman Smith is the offensive coordinator in Washington. Both the Redskins and Texans lack quality depth at running back, but Henry hasn't shown much in his NFL career to indicate he'd be of much help.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

You guys just can't stand people enjoying a Redskins Victory!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Should be a victory with a lower case v.

TB lost that game more than the Redskins won it.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

------

Oh, Man! ROFL you guys are just pathetic. I'm not trying to hate but you guys are acting like they tortured dogs on the way to their Win!

They WON!! It wasn't pretty!! It was F N UGLY!!! It was painful to watch from the beginning!

....but it finished BEAUTIFULLY! It clearly wasn't perfect as we know the REDSKINS are far from perfect but it was a WIN!

It's going to take "Baby Steps" people. BABY STEPS!!

If it worked for Bob Wiley than it can work for Redskin Fans!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I think that may be a courtest visit from Sherman for Chris Henry...we're a little crowded in the backfield. But then again....

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Matty how about putting JC up against his own draft class??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220

And Moss could come back with: "Well, Jason, I hear that. But the only reason that I tweak the hamstring is because I'm always trying to get under your overthrown bs. It's year FIVE JASON, put them s***s on target on the regular for a change."

That's what I'd say.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

zj, good catch, how big is that cat??

so moss and jc have been working together for 5 years, and they still can't get it right on the deep pass..........how delusional do you have to be to think that this is going to change?? I mean, pass that stuff on down, cuz, I'm not there yet.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"how about ripping off, I don't know, 30 points on teams that suck......"

I understand the frustration.

And I understand the wish to bench Campbell after the first half. I said so myself that I was calling for it.

But give a little credit where credit is due. This team has 6 TDs in 5 games. Five of them are from Campbell. One is from Hunter Smith. Do you expect Campbell, or any QB, to average 4 TDs a game to get around 30 pts? Where's your criticism of Portis, who's averaged 3.9 YPC, has zero 100 yard games, has zero TDs, and has been utilized extensively in the red zone to no avail? Or your criticism of the offensive line, who's run-blocking has paved the way for the top 3 running backs to average 3.9 (Portis), 1.6 (Betts), and 2.6 (Mason) yards per carry? We already know you've placed the blame solely on Campbell for MK12, DT, and FD's shortcomings, despite Moss, Cooley, ARE, Betts, Portis, Sellers, and even Cartwright producing in the passing game. Do you honestly believe the faults of this offense rest on JC? All of that? Really?

Campbell had an awful game. It was putrid. But he did what he had to in the end to win. It wasn't pretty, but he got it done. He wasn't bailed out with a defensive or special teams TD, he wasn't bailed out with Portis scampering for 50 yard TDs, they weren't trick plays that fooled the defense into giving up an easy TD, it wasn't even screen passes largely on the effort of the receiver. They were brilliant passes in the midst of an awful performance.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

beepins

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss' opinion isn't substantial enough, Bean.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Lol. Wasn't Campbell completing almost 70% of his passes coming into the weekend? Hasn't his completion percentage and passer rating improved EVERY year? I don't think he's inaccurate and I bet Moss would say the same thing. Every quarterback over/underthrows a deep ball now and again.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

elfreako, since we know it's virtually impossible to get one of those every game, how many should we expect per season - one or two? What would that push the ppg up to 17 or so?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV you might have a point if it wasn't due to the fact that his pulls came on short routes over the middle.

Posted by: jm220 | October 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The point of the matter is no qb is good enough for this franchise. We have had a history of mediocre qbs (Sonny included) and everyone seems to be waiting for Elway to arrive in Ashburn. Brad Johnson was run out of town for George, Ramsey, Matthews, Wuerffel, and Brunell. I am not even going to bring up the Tony Banks era. JC mediocre as he is, is the best we have had in a while. Besides who the hell cares what Santana says. Its not like he is Steve Smith. He has had regrettable days just like JC did. His comments are the part of the reason the skins havent taken the next step. They arent a team. The only time that happened was when ST21 passed.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Guys - bottom line is we are not a very good team. Campbell is one of our best players. He cannot turn this team into a juggernaut. Neither could Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. This team needs rebuilding from the inside out.

I think they should extend Campbell just because he is an adequate QB and we need to spend every high draft pick this April on offensive linemen. Don't wast a first rounder on a QB and put him behind this pathetic O-line. No point.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

To me, Campbell isn't a great deep thrower. He has outstanding distance but not a whole lot of arc on the ball. That makes defense on deep balls pretty easy; all the DB has to do is turn around. When he tries to throw the ball over the DB, he often overthrows the WR as well.

This is not that easy to correct. Having a tall WR helps some. Somebody like Devin Thomas, who is not only superfast but has extremely long arms, is also helpful. But Campbell will probably always be more comfortable throwing underneath to Cooley or Randle El.

But I'm going along with Doug Wiliams -- Campbell is pressing. The constant stream of criticism seems to be getting to him. I don't blame him; it would get to me, too. He feels he holds the team's fate in his hands. He doesn't, but he feels he does.

Jeez, I hope he doesn't read all the stuff on this blog. Jason, if you're out there, turn the damn computer off.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

This defense should average 2 takeaways per game. Some weeks they may beast out with 4 or 5 if we ever get a first half lead.

Out of 30+ takeaways on the season, I'd like to see at least 3 defensive TDs. On teams it'd be great it Rock & ARE could each take 1 to the heezy. That's 5 "extra" TDs that take pressure off of Campbell & Co. and probably turn at least 2 close games into blowouts.

If they can't do this then they're not as good as they think they are and Danny wasted his money.

Posted by: elfreako | October 5, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe you tools are still arguing this. Jason Campbell has not shown any ability to take control of the field and be consistent. If he doesn't pick it up, he's done.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Santana: You might want to re-consider that political career after to football. True, Sonny sounds like he's drunk half the time, but asking the coach if he's considering replacing a quarterback who's stinking up the joint is a reasonable and sober question...

Posted by: randysbailin | October 5, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse