Campbell discusses benching, future

Quarterback Jason Campbell declined to speak with reporters after Sunday's dreary 14-6 loss to the formerly winless Kansas City Chiefs at FedEx Field. In a phone interview Sunday night, Campbell commented on his benching after halftime, Coach Jim Zorn being stripped of play-calling duties and the plight of the Washington Redskins.

Q: What did Zorn say to you at halftime about his decision to go with backup Todd Collins in the second half?

A: "He told me he was going to put Todd in the game so he could just see if he could give us a spark. He said to me, 'I've got to try to find a way to give us a spark.' It was his decision.

"I'm just going to take it stride. Everyone always wants to point the finger at me, and that's why I always say you have to keep your head up, keep going, keep moving because you know what's going on. You know what's really happening. You can't let it get you down and you can't let it distract you.

"Of course, any competitor doesn't like being pulled from a game. You always know that you can come in and get the job done in the second half, you believe you can do that, and you'd like everyone else to believe you can. But you can't control what other people do or believe.

"It happened earlier this year against Tampa Bay, and I think I showed what I can do, showed how I keep fighting and doing everything I can help this team and lead this team, when I'm given that chance. But at the same time, it was his decision to make and he made the decision. So that's just what it was."

Q: Although you're completing 65.6 percent of your passes, you really struggled in the first half on a variety of throws, including a deep ball to wide receiver Santana Moss that fell incomplete. What happened?

A: "I saw Santana and I tried to make a throw down the field. I tried to hold the safety, but I left it maybe a yard or two inside more than I wanted. Other than that, on third down maybe, I had a couple of chances but I hadn't found my rhythm at that point.

"Sometimes it takes you a while to find your rhythm in games and I just didn't find it in the first half. No excuses. The ball to Santana was definitely one I would have liked to have back because it could have been a big play. I just didn't have my rhythm early on. But I also didn't have my rhythm in the game against Tampa Bay. I got hit early, I fumbled, I had a couple of picks.

"In this game, I got a pick because I tried to throw the ball to the end zone to give a chance because there's no time left. It would be crazy t hold the ball and keep running with it. I just stopped and threw it up to try to give Malcolm [Kelly] a shot at it. That interception was just something at the end of the half that was my only option. So I guess they just wanted to see what would be different with a different guy."

Q: How did you feel when the crowd cheered for Collins to start the second half?

A: "You definitely hear it. You know that people are basically looking at you like you're the only problem. That if it wasn't for you, things would be going a lot better than they are for us right now. At the same time, I want our team to be successful.

"So when the decision was made to put Todd in, I was behind him. The fans wanted him in there and you heard it, but I can't let that get me down. I can't let that get me discouraged. You know some people would like you to get down, but I always try to stay positive because that's the only way you can come back and get better. I just took it for what it is and tried not to get discouraged about it.

"Todd came over and talked to me. He told me that's something he went through before when he got pulled from a game. He said, 'Man, just keep your head up. Don't get down. I've been through it before, too.' That's really all you can do."

Q: Are you surprised Zorn has been stripped of play-calling duties?

A: "Right, now, I'm really not trying to figure out anything around here. ... I can't tell you where the issues start at and what to do about them. It's the most awkward position to be in as a team. We've all talked about it as teammates and we all can't put a finger on it. You can't to any one person. Right now, it's just a crazy situation, a tough situation, and I don't think anyone knows how to" fix it."

Q: Do you expect to be the starting quarterback when the Redskins begin preparations tomorrow to face the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday night?

A: "I don't know. That's probably his [Zorn's] decision.

"Like I said, I think they wanted to see if things would be different or see if there was a spark. But whatever [his role] is this week, I'm just going to keep working hard for my teammates, stay positive and move forward."

Q: Do you believe you're still in the Redskins' long-term plans?

A: "I'm not even thinking that far ahead. At the moment, I'm not thinking that far ahead at all. I really can't do that right now. But I know this: I am definitely at a critical point of my career.

"Right now, we're just not being successful as we want to be and as I still believe we can be as far as a whole team. We have some great players on this team. We have some things that we can do. But right now, for whatever reason, things are not happening for us. I'm focused on the team, so I really don't want to look far ahead.

"I want us to get this turned around. That's really what I'm thinking about. But, yeah, I am a critical part of my career where you just want the opportunity to try to be successful."

By Jason Reid  |  October 18, 2009; 10:44 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV feed lost briefly
Next: Lewis expected to be named playcaller

Comments

Boooooooo!

Posted by: GWSkinFan | October 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow, how depressing.

Posted by: Megskin | October 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I have no confidence in Campbell and he's had 4 years to prove himself. That being said, he's not the problem either..I stand corrected..TC was a huge dropoff

Posted by: scottmando | October 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

first time he has ever had to compete for his job.. may work.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but feel for the guy. No matter what his abilities or future are, he seems like a classy guy who's going out of his way to say the right things and be a leader.

Maybe he won't be in the hall of fame, but the Redskins have been to 6 super bowls, not a single time with a hall-of-fame QB. They have the players at the skill positions to be decent. They have a good defense. What they need is a line and someone who can tell the difference between "looks exciting" and "would make a positive contribution to our team". Those decisions have been made poorly (even by Gibbs, I hate to say it) by everyone in charge since Charlie Casserly left.

Posted by: Section406 | October 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato/Snyder were hoping Zorn would either quit or decline so they could fire him. This is not the first time they've pulled this. They wanted Norv to fire his special teams coach and force one of his offensive lineman who had nagging injuries (the name escapes me) to practice. He declined and was fired. Snyder wanted Marty to give up control of the personnel decisions, he didn't and was fired. They wanted Spurrier to fire members of his staff, so he quit. And now this, only Zorn didn't make it easy for them. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Posted by: ronz | October 18, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

nice work WaPo, good interview.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 18, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh and peep this: the Ravens put up 31 points. Let's take a look at some of their coaches on offense: Cam Cameron, former Norv Turner asst., Hue Jackson, former Schottenheimer & Spurrier asst., Al Saunders, former Joe Gibbs asst. Hmmmm

Posted by: ronz | October 18, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

JC some of us still believe in you. It is obvious that the QB was not the problem. There is plenty of blame to go around with this team, but ownership and fans need to wake up and realize without an O-Line no QB or running game will be successful. Maybe a new play caller will help a bit BUT you can't build a house without a foundation. WAKE UP PEOPLE! The skins need an O-Line, just ask everyone’s “savior” Mr. Todd Collins. What a Shock he could not get anything going behind the O-line. Since JC bashers have had the answers all along., what now?

Posted by: gcoles32 | October 18, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I think we're seeing the effects of the team's attempt to get Cutler/Sanchez.

Posted by: az_david | October 18, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronz | October 18, 2009 11:16 PM

Yeah but can they run the WCO.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I know he's not on McNabb's level but maybe this will workout for us like it did for Philly last year when they benched him for the 2nd half of a tight game. The backup sucked and Donovan came back the following week and led the team to a great playoff run with inspired play. Maybe that can happened with JC and a new play caller. I would like to see him get one more shot. We can always bench him at the half again and go with Todd & Colt the rest of the year but I think he deserves that shot. I just hope that Sherm wont run run run run run, pass. I dont want to see that at all

Posted by: dlts20 | October 18, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Please don't bring up the train-wreck that is the REDSKINS. If DANO and bag-man VINNIE aren't squirming in their seats then they're more stupid than I give them credit for.

NOTE to SNYDER:

As I have stated here before, for a solution to the club's problems look in the mirror. You can't subvert the authority of those you place in management positions time and again, then expect excellence. Why would a solid coach like SCHOTTENHEIMER leave or one like STEVE SPAGNOLO diss you and go elsewhere? Because of pride, greed, envy? Come on DANO, get real.

Where players are concerned, the NFL is not a fantasy-football league. Yes, ALBERT HAYNESWORTH is a great defensive tackle, and I understand why he's in D.C. when I see GOLSTON being tossed around as other teams run away from BIG AL. BUT the defense is basically where it was last year without him. Couldn't some money have been used on the offensive line rebuild instead of investing it all on a handful of players? This is a team isn't it? Not every one of the 53 players can have a 100 million contract. Why not have five 20 million lesser known, but just as effective players on the squad instead? Just as many people will turn out to see games and buy t-shirts for a super-bowl club as for a 2-4 train-wreck of a team headed for disaster. More in fact, many more.

The long-term season ticket-holders of this franchise should sue the NFL for allowing SNYDER to continue in an ownership position in D.C.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 18, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlts20 | October 18, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Colt is chillin' on IR - we have the Giants former #3 on our roster

Posted by: az_david | October 18, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Lewis will call plays
By Ryan O'Halloran on Oct. 18, 2009 into Redskins 360

A team source just confirmed that Sherman Lewis -- in town less than two weeks in his role of offensive consultant -- will be the Redskins' new play caller.
Jim Zorn gave up the duties during a post-game meeting with front office chief Vinny Cerrato.
A source earlier tonight confirmed my theory that Sherman Smith is a candidate to call plays but the choice would be Lewis since he was the "fresh set of eyes" two weeks ago, somebody who was recommended/thrust upon Zorn in an effort to spark the offense.
Lewis called the plays for Green Bay in 1999 and also contributed to the Minnesota and Detroit play calling before leaving coaching after the 2004 season.
This can't be a surprise because Lewis was the only person on the offensive staff with NFL play calling experience besides Zorn.

Posted by: TWISI | October 18, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

JC is a good guy, but bottom line -- he's an average NFL qb. When he called the team's final timeout with 47 seconds to go in the first half, thereby removing any possibility to at least get a FG before the half, that tells me right there he does not exhibit QB leadership. Then we have to throw a weak hail mary. But its not his fault. The FO is crap, the coaching is crap, and the players are basically average, except for a few select players. All this equals a lousy season.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | October 18, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

At times he hasn't been good but never the 'problem' especially when playing behind that line. After this year, JC should go to a good organization as a backup, learn and wait for another opportunity. He might be able to start somewhere but he needs to make sure he's in a good organization.

Also, Vinny has to go. The guy shuffles blame all over the place but never accepts the fact that he has not built a good 53 man roster.

Posted by: andvines991 | October 18, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

If we can get JC on the field with a legit offensive line and a solid coach to back him up, we will have a star. Unfortunately it will never happen here. The Dan and Cerrato have run this thing DEEP into the ground.

Next year you will see a star emerge...but it won't be in Washington. JC will have a new team next year and I certainly will be pulling for him. Dude is pure class.

Posted by: TossedSalad | October 18, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Real bad situation in the Redskins clubhouse right now. If guys like Heyer could hold a block our QBs would have a better chance. The Redskins OL is just terrible.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | October 18, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW, it's fascinating to watch the Falcons. There are shiny trophies in their future. Not necessarily because of their performance tonight (which was mediocre), but because of how their organization is setup:

1. Eccentric owner with deep pockets, deep convictions, and enough self-confidence to hire great people and help them be successful.
2. Excellent GM with pedigree from a Super Bowl-winning organization (Patriots).
3. Nondescript head coach with extraordinary class, dignity, and self-respect to go along with unquestioned football acumen.

Blank, Dimitroff, and White are the new Cooke, Beathard, and Gibbs.

Until the Redskins find #1, #2 and #3 are irrelevant. Period. It's just rearranging deck chairs.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 18, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Sherman Lewis calling plays? Count be doubtful... Especially when he said earlier in the evening that he had no idea Zorn was being stripped of play calling.

Does anyone in this organization know what's going on?

And as for the JC17 interview... Why does he even give interviews? They ask him what he thinks about having a different play caller, and he gives no answer.

Really? You'll have a completely different voice in your head for 30 minutes a game, and you have no opinion on it? Really?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Cindy just tweeted that Sherman Lewis is the new playcaller. Not that it matters.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 18, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

It just blows my mind that the bingo caller will be whispering sweet nothings to our QB next week. This is up there with the Raiders assistant coach who was running a bed and breakfast.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 18, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Blank, Dimitroff, and White are the new Cooke, Beathard, and Gibbs.

Good point Diddy. Dimitroff took over after during the post Vick stench, plus a coach who quit on the team during the season. He didn't need multiple years to turn it around.

Dimitroff has made many savvy moves since he took over. The HC, the draft picks (Ryan & Baker), specifically targeted FA's (Michael Turner & Tony Gonzalez). Hard not to be impressed.

Posted by: k_square | October 18, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato = Wormtounge. Pray for Snyder. Vinny on O-Line:

Read this exchange between Larry Michael and Vinny.... ( Hard to believe he was really asking his boss these hard questions )

"Vinny you catch a lot [of heat] over the weeks in terms of the roster, where this team is," Michael began. "But take a look at the offensive line, this has your stamp on it today. You've got Mike Williams, a project that YOU picked up as the guy making the decisions on the team, he's the right tackle. Stephon Heyer is to the left. Will Montgomery, another Vinny Cerrato guy. Derrick Dockery, you brought him in this year. So this offensive line today has your stamp on it, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," Cerrato agreed, his voice literally cracking. "Well, it did with Chris Samuels in it, too. I mean, the same, you know, last week, Mike Williams was playing right guard, and Heyer was playing right tackle, and Samuels was playing left tackle, so that did too. So, you know, I don't see what that really matters, Larry."

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 18, 2009 8:32 PM

Wow. That's to be dealt w/ in 2010; dumping incompetent Vinny and O line upgrade.

Hope for '09 Today! Collins (does read progressions), 60.1 rating: Soup, 46.1. Each played a half. Play the best player.... Practice with the starters. Zorn calls enough good plays; however the execution has been sorely lacking. The team should be supported over the blind cult of personality. God Willing 15-4 this season. Win the next game!

HTTR, HV!

Posted by: Realness1 | October 18, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Vinny tells Campbell that he has too much on his plate.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 18, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with gcoles without an o-line no one can be successful, we need to get back to REDSKIN football, smashmouth run the ball down your throat football,FFF this westcoast crap, I like Zorn but pay whatever it takes to get cowher!!!!!! we dont have to blow this up just the line!!!!!!

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | October 18, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

We can win with soup, just tweek the D a bit and overhaul the line and add a decent wr, and a change of pace back.

Posted by: BleedBurgandGold | October 18, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Our plan for the rest of the year is to replace Zorn with either Blache or Gray, play the same solid defense, get at least one defensive TD each game, and punt a lot.

Posted by: daggar | October 19, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Until Jason Campbell decides to stop being mister nice guy and plays with a purpose to prove himself, he will not be successful.

How many times is he a step off hitting Santana Moss? GD, JC!

Why is it in this offensive scheme Santa only gets 1 or 2 chances to make big plays?

Posted by: oknow1 | October 19, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

we are all wandering the desert. we will be here for years.

Posted by: whughes1 | October 19, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I have always liked Jason and still do. I still support him and believe he can be a successful QB with an O line that gives him some time and an offensive system that he is comfortable with. I would love to see it here.....but nothing can fix this trainwreck of a season. Keep your head up JC and stay classy. At least Vinny will be getting a good draft pick to get you another "quality" WR or TE. /end rant

Posted by: regis429 | October 19, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

That's right! Somebody said it. Yeah, sure, other teams can "Put Points On The Board" or "Score," so to speak, but that's not what we're trying to do, is it?

We're trying to do MORE than that.

We're trying to Resurrect the West Coast Offense! (cue Gong)

Why the West Coast Offense?

Well, because it's the only thing our Head Coach had a book of... I think it was "West Coast Offense for Dumbies" or "Go East With The West Coast, Young Man!"

So, while your so called "Ravens" are putting up 31 points or "Running" the ball down people's throats, we're over here living out the 49ers Glory Days!

Who would you rather pretend you coach?

Joe Montana or Joe Flacco?

Nuff Said.

Hail!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 19, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Regis429, I feel your pain.

I really do. The first time I felt similar pain was when some sawed off millionaire liar who claimed to be a lifelong fan bought my favorite sports team.

The first thing he did, even before his first season started, was cut the heart of the team (Brian Mitchell) and bring in an over-hyped has-been from the 49ers and Dallas (Dieone Sanders).

I KNEW at that moment, there was NO WAY IN THE WORLD, that this guy was a Redskin fan. NO way. Impossible.

NO Redskin fan would have cut B Mitch. Not ONE of us. And replace him with a dooshbag showboating no heart braggart like Dieone Sanders?

No way. He's a liar. He never WAS a Redskin fan. No way. Liar.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 19, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Polo.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 19, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

JC is not in the plans for the 'Skins beyond this season. Neither is Zorn and that was not something recently concluded. It was concluded in the offseason by the FO when they decided not to significantly address the teams' biggest problem, the O-line.

Without adequate protection, you can't run your offense. And they had seen enough of JC and Zorn to feel that it wasn't worth retooling now. Just let the new guy get his own players, as so much is made about who plays for which coach. To you or I it's irrelevant, but to the coaches it makes a difference. For example, JC is a Gibbs pick, not Zorn's guy. For his offense he would have picked a different guy.

Snyderrato were no doubt still looking to ride JC's need to have a good showing (contract) into the best record they could get out of this team, given the upgrades on defense, and let the new guy pick his offensive staples. How else do you explain the glaring deficiency on the O-line?

Knowing the guys in our FO, I wouldn't be surprised if they tanked this one for a high draft pick to get a good QB and to ride the wave of an uncapped free agency! Zorn is just a scapegoat.

Unless they are just idiots...that kind of works as an explanation too...Yeah, I'll take "tanked, with a side of idiot" to go please sir for my explanation...

Posted by: dark_some | October 19, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

IN five years Campbell is not even in the league any longer. He's utterly clueless. It's obvious from this, and every other, Q&A that he thinks he's doing a great job. His completion percentage is high because a high percentage of his throws are to his outlet receivers. Is Campbell the only problem? No, obviously the offensive line is terrible, the corners can't or don't tackle. The team has just two consistent pass catchers in Moss and Cooley. Zorn is not a head coach. Collins is not the answer. But Campbell is a problem.

Posted by: tkoho | October 19, 2009 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Didn't have his rhythm in the first halves of Tampa and KC? Ok, but you know games are lost in the first half. As the QB of the Redskins, you gotta have the balls to call the kind of plays that would put you in rhythm. Not being in rhythm for a whole half? Inexcusable. Following Zorn's plays without questioning them? Inexcusable. Unfortunately, Collins has got to lead the team for the rest of the year.

Question. Did Snyder direct the changing of QB at half time. Reports say Snyder was aware (informed?) of the move. Baloney, he directed the change.

Posted by: getitritegov | October 19, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I feel bad for JC. I think he is a fine QB who like Patrick Ramsey has been ruined by this disasterous organization. This comment makes me want to hang myself though:

Posted by: hackeynut | October 19, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Also, everyone needs to calm down, we are in year 11 of the 35 year rebuilding plan. If they are still bad in 2033, then we can start to worry.

Posted by: hackeynut | October 19, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

A: "I don't know. That's probably his [Zorn's] decision.

Probably? If it's not Zorn's decision, whose decision is it? Hmmmmm......is Danny playing Fantasy Football here too or am I over-thinking it?

Posted by: kone | October 19, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lordtwang | October 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

lordtwang said: I think JC is a great guy. And he'd be a really good but not great qb for a team like the Vikings: great line, great rb, decent receivers, good defense. He's the kind of guy that Gibbs used to win superbowls back in the day. We just don't have the talent around him.

-------------------------------------------
I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: kone | October 19, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lordtwang | October 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If only we knew he had to be surrounded by talent when we drafted him. O, wait that was in his scouting report. We could pick up a pair of tackles in the draft, move BMW inside to right guard, give Marko Mitchell a shot, and actually use Alridge. If we did that this offense may actually score some points.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 19, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I gave my opinoin on my Skins before the season started. Problem number 1 is the offensive line, they suck it's not the QB. Cambel is all we need, like the poster SECTION406 said, we never had a hall of fame QB, but we have won without one. Our defence has been neer the top for the past 3-5 years, we did not need a $100 million defensive guy. We needed to spend that money on the offensive line, some people that can give the QB atleast 2.5-3 seconds to find an open person. 5 sacks in a game is rediculous. I am glad they decided to releive Zorn of some of those duties as well, his play calling sucked from the begining, but he was still not th full blame. That guy with the short man syndrome Snyder is the blame for everything. In his mind, if he spends a lot of cash he should win. I have lots mor to say but I am getting too emotional about this thing, they are not paying me so I refuse to spend anymore time typing about it...LMAO

Posted by: Teflon | October 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

duhhh hey jim what should i do next duuuuhhh is the sideline out of bounds oh i didnt know duuuuuhhhh is the line of scrimmage the first down marker duuuuhhhhh,hey jim i am sure i,ll get in sync by the 3rd qtr.

Posted by: tird45 | October 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT the REDSKINS!!!! and get rid of danny boy. Please sign the petition and send to your friends.

Posted by: mattphillips | October 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

finally, he he doesn't have it for this league. the team will be better with collins.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 19, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 19, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe Jason has this golden opportunity in front of him and he is wasting it. He has to look at himself in the mirror and see he is the top reason him and this offence is not successful. I hear so many excuses why he is not successful. Offence not protecting him, play calling sucks, recievers not getting open, and not being in the same system. Enough already! We are not asking JC to be an A qb like the Mannings, Brady or Brees. All that's asked of him is to be cosistent or a B level qb then hopefully he gets to that top level. Right now he is a C- qb and I'm being extremely generous giving him that. Flacco, Rogers, Cutler and Orton B level qb's in new systems and they all look better than JC. I know the line is bad but when you have time and the reciever is open get them the ball. If they are not open run or throw it away. It's no reason why you should have only 145 yds passing against Carolina and only 89 yds against Kansas 40 of which came after the 2 minute warning. Your not a rookie so stop playing like one and hopefully you will take advantage the next time your out there. Stop making excuses! All the fans want is a good franchise Qb. Peace

Posted by: jcreid2009 | October 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is a class act with talent. He has unfortunately been drafted into a mess of an organization. Multiple coaches with multiple offensive coordinators, continuing to change every part of him. He was a winning QB at Auburn. I can't imagine ahving to do my job with 5 or 6 new directors constantly teling me a different was to do my job, though I have been doing it another way. Now he is under a coach who hasn't been a head coach on any level or even an offensive coordinator. I hope Campbell gets a chance on another team a becomes successful because he deserves it. This team is a joke and I have been a Redskins fan for more than 30 years.

Posted by: garrybrown | October 19, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree that JC is a class act. I am sure he is nice to dogs and old people, but he can't play QB. Yesterday at the end of the first half we had no time outs left and he tries to scramble instead of thrwing the ball away and stopping the clock. He has been in the league for five years and he has not learned that yet? His time management skills are awful, he can't throw a long pass, and he does not get the ball into the end zone. The only thing in this league that matters is winning and losing, look at his record, nuff said.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 19, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep Beep beep Beep beep!!!

Posted by: jiza32 | October 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cavalieri10

Yeah right because taking sacks in your own endzone gets your opponent off guard for the onside punt.

Posted by: elfreako | October 19, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think any QB can be successful in this mess of an organization. The FO and owner try to trade the QB in the offseason, the QB's confidence is shaky, the offensive line is the team's biggest weakness but nothing is done to address it. It was inevitable that Samuels and Thomas would get hurt which would make the line even more vulnerable and provide the QB less time to get comfortable in the pocket (let alone find a rhythm).

Leadership starts at the VERY TOP and I think people should be directing their negative thoughts on JC at Snyder and Cerrato.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree that JC is a class act. I also think he's handling this situation as well as possible. Unfortunately he isn't the long term solution. He is inconsistent (accuracy), does not work through his progressions well, and does not read the d well enough on a consistent basis. He's got a strong arm and good release, but unfortunately his other skills are not at an NFL level.

JC is just one of many issues on this team. The biggest issue that must be addressed is in the FO. Address that and the other issues will work themselves out over time.

In response to an earlier post: No matter how bad things get you NEVER EVER TANK. It is never okay to lose. You never want to send that message.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | October 19, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know. That's probably his [Zorn's] decision"

PROBABLY!? It's obvious Zorn has lost the team. He has been totally undermined and it has not gone unnoticed by the players in the locker room. Just fire the guy already...

Posted by: Gary22 | October 19, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I really like Jason Campbell, he's big, tough, and can move around some. The man has a real gun, can make all the throws... I think just the opposite, I'm not really impressed with the skill players around him. Moss is NOT a legit #1 WR... He's a deep threat, little else. An undersized Randle El is a poor complement to a tiny #1. I'm sorry, but Cooley can't run to save his life. He doesn't get open, he's not covered. These characters are NOT athletes, neither is Collins, my god.

The FB is another ragged washball and there's no down-n-distance back to replace Portis. Betts is more of the same, but less. Ironically, if Campbell does have a weakness, it appears that he has a tendency to throw high. Given that the org never made a move to provide him big, legit targets, clearly, they were never serious about him. If the gods ever green light Jason Campbell, he'll prove how deadly he is. I agree with those who see a top-down problem. Snyder/Cerrato have proven totally inept.

Posted by: markrc99 | October 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

JC is a graceful and solid young man who has taken all of this with incredible grace and dignity.i heard him on Fan . he was awesome > JC forget about everyone, do your best and leave your best on the field

Posted by: maz3 | October 19, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse