Campbell Gets 'a Security Blanket'

Second-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly is expected to be the Redskins' starting flanker in the season opener Sunday against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

During the preseason, Kelly showed that he can catch passes in traffic, especially on balls that were a little off-target. In the process, Kelly gained the confidence of quarterback Jason Campbell.

Kelly said he wants to be a "security blanket" for Campbell and it appears Campbell will have his blanket.

"He'll be on the field," offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said. "Jason will feel good about it. He'll have his security blanket out there."

Kelly impressed the coaches with his steady rehab from offseason microfracture knee surgery, Smith said. He continued to make strides in camp and the preseason while closing the gap with fellow second-year wideout Devin Thomas in the flanker competition, and the Redskins believe they can rely on Kelly.

"He brings work ethic to practice. It makes a difference," Smith said. "He needs to get crisper in running his routes, but you can see the hands and all of that. And again, the work ethic, that's what is making a difference for him.

"And Devin has worked hard, too. I'm not taking that away from him. But Malcolm ... just getting healthy was so important for him. He's feeling good about that and I just see all of it working for him."

Listed at 6-feet-4, 227 pounds, Kelly is the biggest receiver on the roster (rookie Marko Mitchell also is 6-4). Any quarterback would feel comfortable throwing to a receiver with Kelly's size and athleticism, Smith said.

"It's a sense of security. It makes you feel good," Smith said. "It doesn't have to be a perfect pass. You say to yourself, 'If I can just get the ball into the vicinity, nine times out of 10, he's going to make the catch for you.' I think he feels the same way about Santana [Moss]. I think he feels the same way about Chris Cooley.

"But you need more than that. He's saying, 'Now, I've got another guy.' If they take Santana out if they take Chris out, now he's got Malcolm and he's got Devin. I think it makes a difference."

By Jason Reid  |  September 8, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: As Openers Go, This One's No Cupcake
Next: You Make the Call: The Redskins' Record

Comments

"No more Plax or Toomer to burn us."

Actually, I think the jints look at us like we look at them: strong defenses, running games supporting shaky passing offense.

The big difference for the skins: Hunter Smith.

The big difference for the jints: home field, history.

Again: I'd go after the jints early and often via the air and make them into what they don't want to be: a passing team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Seriously though. 1st play? Flanker screen to Kelly w/ Marko on the downfield block.

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Agree with that except it should go to Moss, cause he's the most effective on those plays. Not sure that either Kelly can take it to the house like Moss can on those plays. Remember the bubble screens with Brunell in 05? Moss was a beast

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

BeanGreg-

Thoughts of Mason making the 53 man roster?

Still wait and see?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

On the one hand, I'd like to play at the Swamplands late in the year, when the wind is howling and Eli is even more dangerous (to himself, people) when passing.
On the other hand, I'd much rather start the season with an away game intra-division... if we were to win, it's a big win. A loss, well, going .500 in this division is no badge of shame.

Posted by: daggar | September 8, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Amani Toomer has killed us with critical catches since the 1990s up through last year's ST21 memorial game (Smoooot got buuuuurnt).

I am more relieved he is gone than I am Plax.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Here's my hope that this blanket becomes electric.

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | September 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kelly can do as a starter. I'm also hoping that Marko Mitchell sees significant PT in this offense -- particularly in the red zone. I don't want to give up on D Thomas, but he doesn't appear as polished and reliable as Mitchell or Kelly. This year, I like Thomas on kickoffs, screens, reverses and spot duty when Santana goes down with the inevitable pulled hammy.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin | September 8, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with this. Moss it's tough to bring down on the bubble screen. It should be either him of D. Thomas as he has a nack to at least get a good 10-12 yards everytime.

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 8, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

We have to find out if Marko will even make the 45 man game day roster, initially....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I’m worried about stopping Brandon Jacobs. The good news; I’m sure Greg Blache is too.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | September 8, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 8, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Thomas has more athleticism than both of those other guys but he is a little slower to develop. He may not really turn it on until next year or even the year after. I don't think anyone should give up on him while he's still improving. I agree with the kickoffs thing just to get him on the field for now. It's surprising but we can actually afford to be patient with him and that's exactly what we should do. He has a lot of potential. We just need to be patient.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 8, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

4th... if we look at the roster we can take off a number of players who wont be active every often pertty quickly.

Mason, Mike Williams, one of the 6 corners (depending on Carlos's injury, it'll be Westbrook everytime), that already takes us down to 50 players. From there I'd bet Jarmon isn't active early on and another dlineman maybe a tackle wont be either...

That brings us to 48 and I'm having a tough time taking off anyone else other than Mitchell...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 8, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

As the Redskins began preparations Monday for the season opener at the New York Giants, the three players' emotions ran the gamut.

Mason was relieved.

"I'm blessed to have this opportunity," he said.

Betts was in the dark as to his role.

"I have no idea," he said. "That's something the coaches have to address."

And Cartwright was ticked.

"I would rather be just meeting with the special teams coach because I know I'm not going to get any plays at running back," he said.

...............

Coach Jim Zorn acknowledged all three reserves can't be active on game day.

..............

"I'm basically labeled now as a special teams guy," Cartwright said. "As far as getting toyed with, I think I have. You guys have seen it. Who hasn't seen it? ... I won't go to them and complain about it. I saw it coming. When you see me in [a preseason] game in the third quarter and I'm an eight-year vet and special teams captain, what does that tell you? Apparently, I'm not a good running back."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

First play the bubble screen? Doubt it as the Giants will have game planned that one and be expecting it. Offensively, I would LOVE for the Skins to abandon that STUPID, idiotic 2 yard pass to Moss. Burning a play to see what coverage they're playing is beyond moronic. They'll only change on the next one anyway.

I'd open with a flea-flicker, not deep to Kelley, but intermediate to Cooley or Sleepy Davis. The next play would be a shovel pass to the right, taking advantage of the GiANT's DE trying to beat Heyer up the field. Then a toss to the weak side. Basic idea is to get the Giants running from side to side, and slow down their run blitzes. Then, come back with Portis up the middle.

I foresee a defensive battle, as long as CR plays. If Smootie is starting at CB then MLB takes advantage of him. But I doubt that they run to that side, as Smoot has been f'ing RBs up on the sweep. But if CR plays, then I doubt NJG have the talent at WR to beat either CB. So for Redskin's defense it's clog the middle, make Jacobs go sideways, and get off the field after 3-5 plays. Which is the real reason they got AH, I think.

So -- Skins get AH to clog the middle and force teams to run wide. Hope it works. And they get those big WR to run across the middle to open up the cover-2. Hope that works too.

My final prediction is that Suisham misses a 48 FG at the end, Skins battle hard but lose 12-10.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | September 8, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

So is Dirty Thirty

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

(Trying to get back into season form. Minister of relevant info is back at it)

Quick look at Giants By Ryan O'Halloran
on Sept. 8, 2009
into Redskins 360

The Redskins are off today although some players, such as CB DeAngelo Hall, were at the Park and I'm sure QB Jason Campbell and CB Carlos Rogers will make the usual Tuesday stops at the complex.

The first opponent is the New York Giants -- Sunday at 4:15 p.m. in New Jersey. Here are some notes after watching the Giants starters play the New York Jets two weeks ago.

* On the Giants first drive, Eli Manning had his hands full since Rex Ryan was trying to win the August Super Bowl. The Jets rushed 6, 6, 6, 7, 4, 4 and 3 on Manning's drop backs. Manning was sacked once, but the play was washed out by a penalty.

* The Giants gave a bunch of different looks. The standard was 3 WR-1 RB-1 TE but coordinator Kevin Gilbride also threw out a 5 WR-0 RB-0 TE set and from the 8-yard line, chose to spread the field with 4 WR-1 RB-1 TE.

* New York didn't run a lot of 2 TE, leaving Kevin Boss on the field as the only TE. Like Chris Cooley, Boss will also line up as a WR.

* The Giants went no huddle during their first two possessions, although it that much of a hurry up.

* On defense, Bill Sheridan is the new coordinator. On the Jets seven first-half drives, the Giants rushed 5 or more players an unofficial eight times.

* It looked like DE Justin Tuck moves to DT on passing downs, giving the Giants a great passer to muck up the middle.

* The Giants have zero experience at receiver. Former WRs Amani Toomer and Plaxico Burress have a combined 263 starts. Among the Giants' top five WRs this year, they have a combined 12 starts,

* New York has 10 new players on its roster, including five of their nine draft picks.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

BeanGreg-

Thoughts of Mason making the 53 man roster?

Still wait and see?

Posted by: 4thFloor

What's this I hear about Mason making the final cuts???

Hey 4th, he does still have same amount of carries as you, I, and bean...

Yes, it's most definitely gloat time for the people who backed Mason...

I think we should all celebrate!

Du-dodo-du-du... Du-dodo-du-du... Du-dodo-du-du

Marrrrrrrrcus Mas-on

Hey...

How He Ball On The Field, I Know You Hate It
Mason Serving UP TD’s, Like He Bakin’
Betts And Cartwright ‘bout to get tra-ded
They Bums, Plain Stated, He Ain’t Have To Take It - O-o-ooooo

Pop Champagne... O-o-ooooo... Pop Champagne... O-o-ooooo

Pop Champagne ...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Landry remembers that play quite well, and has been looking forward to the opportunity to try that again for, oh, the last 9 months or so.

Jacobs is a beast, if Landry knocks him on his back it will give 30 a fearsome rep. RB will be looking for him as they approach the second level.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benevolentanarchist
Yeah, he's a load, but its nice having Big Al, a healthy Griffin, and a healthy, 700+lb squatting Daniels. Even Jacobs is a light weight with those guys

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 8, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Rocket Screen, just because.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 11:38 AM

Oooghhh. Thanks for the unexpected 2nd tasting of breakfast...

Posted by: 4-12 | September 8, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

A flea flicker to start is impractical and will not happen. I dont think I can remember the last time the skins even used that play let alone to start the seasons first play...

I'd be more inclined to believe that we start off with a run up the middle. Not flashy or sexy but its something I see us doing. In the end we live and die by the run and it would be great if we could get CP going early and often vs the Giants. Best thing to do to a strong pass rush is run and take short quick shots at them to get them thinking about something other than destroying Campbell... so lets tire them out and make them run all over the field from the start.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 8, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently, I'm not a good running back."

Tell Rock to quit his whining, and someone ask him what other NFL team wanted him when he became a free agent.

4th, I've come around on Mason, he showed me something this preseason.

Moe, the skins bring in Orakpo, Haynesworth, etc. and you think the biggest difference is gonna be Hunter Smith??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I say Zorn leaves 2 tickets at Will-Call for Buddy Ryan.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

How He Ball On The Field, I Know You Hate It
Mason Serving UP TD’s, Like He Bakin’
Betts And Cartwright ‘bout to get tra-ded
They Bums, Plain Stated, He Ain’t Have To Take It

The Rock always Betts on the special teams. Rocking tackles, returning seeds is their game. Marcus, well, he's pretty lame, cause this part he can't play. He'll be cut quicker than the dickens, cause on special teams he don't play.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

That 4WRs + 1 RB + 1 TE is a very clever formation. Unless the ref throws a flag for too 12 men on the field

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

First play? Rock takes it to the house. 12 seconds into the season, its 7-0 Redskins.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If JC is on a short leash and he starts to stink up the game..ie. not reaching the second progression...double pump and dump short....3 and out, 3 and out. etc.. Hopefully Zorn will insert Collins.. the last Skins QB to beat the Giants.. AND in Giants Stadium in a must win game for both teams... Same Gints team went on to win the SB.
Collins just seems to manage a game better than JC (besides making a second Read).

The one catch Kelly made in the 2nd preseason game, for 13 yards, was a 3rd read, check-down by Collins (broken play) that JC would never of seen.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwww, "Wha-ocky" is crying...

Did some one go boo-boo in their diaper? Does his mangina hurt? Him want a wollypop?

Rock get over it! You've been playing only special teams for how long now? This isn't some newly discovered secret. You SUCK at RB!

YOU ARE A LIFE SPECIAL TEAMER.

It's obvious that Rock has been reading the post on RI crowing him as a all-pro- hall-of-famer special teams player. He's now feeling himself and buying into the hype created by "ROCK IS GOD" posters.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

4-12 - sorry about the double digestion

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Paper Matchups:

Offense:
OL - Gints (hands down)
TE - Skins
RB - Gints (note, this is not Jacobs>Portis but the entire units)
WR - Skins
QB - Gints

Defense:
DL - Gints (close, but still Gints)
LB - Gints (Orakpo could eventually swing this our way, but in his first game? Highly doubtful)
CB - Gints (especially if CR is S - Skins

Specials:
Punter - Flip a coin
Kicker - Skins (Suisham looks like his Robo-leg from early 2008 has returned)

Paper winner: Gints
Disclaimer: Paper picks have a 0-0 w/l record since caveman days.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO, game week is finally here, f the giants, let's GO SKINS, wooooooooooooooooooooo, you da man Campbell, get 'er dun Kelly, let's gooooooooo, awwww hahahahah, f the giants Defense-Defense-Defense, catch me bonging beers in the meadowlands parking lot before the game in the Burgundy 21, the time is now, HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 8, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Worst thing to do against a pass rush is run up the middle.

Opening the game with a run between the guards will most likely result in 2nd and 8, another run means 3rd and 7, followed by an incomplete pass, and a bunch of smelly New Yorkers roaring their heads off.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM... i've argued with you before... you should really stop commenting on things because you are wrong so often...

Collins is a quick reader. He reads the defense presnap and decides where to throw the ball before he snaps it. Thus, he typically does not go through his 2nd or 3rd read seeing as he gets rid of the ball most of the time quickly and accurately to his first read. This is a good thing at times but can also be a bad thing. Collins simply does not possess the arm strength to be a true NFL starter (HENCE HIS CAREER AS A BACKUP) and is simply not a better player than Campbell. If we have to play more than a game or 2 with Collins we will not make the playoffs nor will we win many of those games.... SO STOP saying hes a better qb than anyone other than maybe Colt Brennan and Chase Daniels

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 8, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

Shenanigans on Rock running 100 yards in 12 seconds.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Zorn made a major mistake by not selecting Kelly, Moss and ARE as his starters before the week 3 preseason game. This group needs to work together a bunch. It'll take a few games before they are synched up.

I don't expect to see two of the young WRs on the field at the same time. One youngster plus ARE/Moss/Cooley is a package that Campbell should be veryr comfortable with. Don't put Thomas, Kelly and Mitchell on the field all at once. Do that next year.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

periculum,

Don't try this s*** at home.

When you get a chance, put down your Bob Dylan for a bit, and listen to a little hip-hop for awhile. Then you might just have a clue.

The song is called "Pop Champagne" by Ron Browz ft. Jim Jones & Juelz Santana

It's a club joint (song). Probably a little different than that ho-down music you be bumpin' though.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

A flea flicker on the first play huh? Against a ferocious D line? I don't think so. Too many things that could go wrong. You want to get JC in a rythm, not a low percentage play off the bat. The bubble screen while yeah it probably will have been scouted (like every other play the Skins like to run) atleast neutralizes the pass rush and its a higher percentage play to start off with.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 8, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Dpc...

Thats why its done tho. Everyone will expect Zorny to want to make an impression early. Everyone, including the jints, will think were going to run some playaction or some deep out or something down the field to prove we can do it. Its predictable to run... well not a flea flicker, but a play similar to that in hopes of creating a big play on 1st down to start the season... While I agree that running up the gut on a team with such depth on their dline as the jints, its the only way we are going to win this game. We have to be able to run or its going to be a long sunday in NY...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 8, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Now I like this. ARE's name is conspicuously absent. If MK and DT were fighting for #2 how does the loser go to #4? DT is the playmaker in space. If they're confident he knows the plays, he should the be slot guy.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

I want to see a Red Zone spread of Kelly, Sleepy, Cooley (motion), and Mitchell.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 8, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please tell Rock to STFU. You are lucky you still have a roster spot, you steaming pile of mediocrity. If Aldridge could hold onto the ball you would be looking for work today.

Yeah, that's real "Core Redskin" of you, whining about your carries before the season even starts. Way to be a distraction, you arrogant d-bag.

Can we at least now put to bed the notion that this idiot is a "great team player" and model of locker room excellence?

Posted by: McMetal | September 8, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and BEEP

Posted by: McMetal | September 8, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

i want to see a red zone spread of Cooley and Davis everytime. Man if Davis can come in and play well that'll be huge for us. Redzone will no longer be an issue with 2 solid pass catching te's... Mitchell and Kelly down there... Davis has the potential he just needs to put it together and preferably hold onto the ball as well.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 8, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"you steaming pile of mediocrity"

Even thats probably too kind a description of him. I hope Zorn cuts his azz today, betts/dt, can return kicks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

ARE should be an un-named option. If the D's forget about him, we can reap nice gains.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 8, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

PR -- I just remember way too many games against the Giants where the Skins got very predictable: run-run-incomplete-punt. Over and over again. When they finally tried passing on first down, it was obvious they could not run it on first down.

I think a pass -- NOT THE 2 YARD OUT -- on first down has a good chance of making yards. Most coaches will want to run something safe, get their QB in a rhythm, get the jitters out, etc. Which is why everybody expects it, but "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" So, open with a gadget, if it works lots of laughing and scratching on the sideline. If it doesn't you shug and say it was low percentage anyway.

If you do something safe and get stuffed, then what?

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I think a pass -- NOT THE 2 YARD OUT -- on first down has a good chance of making yards. Most coaches will want to run something safe, get their QB in a rhythm, get the jitters out, etc. Which is why everybody expects it, but "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" So, open with a gadget, if it works lots of laughing and scratching on the sideline. If it doesn't you shrug and say it was low percentage anyway.

If you do something safe and get stuffed, then what?

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 8, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

3 key coaching mistakes entering this season.

1. Betts as a 3rd down back. Yes, there needs to be more Betts and less CP to keep CP stronger. But 3rd down is where you make or break your drive and I want the money guy in there on the money down. That's Portis.

2. Not setting the WRs much earlier. Campbell needs time to adjust to the changes and the youngsters need time to get their routes correct. Zorn needed to help his QB by allowing him to get adjusted earlier in the preseason. And to let the WRs settle into their roles as well.

3. Not doing an overhaul to the punt return game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 8, 2009

Are we part of some development league or something?? How many years do you give a guy to be worth the millions you're paying him?? He better contribute this year as a WR or become key to our Special Teams or get off the roster so the next Marko Mitchell can contribute!

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah, wait a minute - didn't we try a flea-flicker in, oh 1985 against the Giants at RFK? How'd that one work out/

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Actually, we like the "triplets":

Malcolm Kelly
Devin Thomas
Marko Mitchell

In today's NFL, three solid wideouts are most necessary.

Don't believe me?

Ask the cardinals.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:23 AM

I'm sorry, did Santana Moss get traded last night? Why is he not in the WR conversation here?

And don't ever, ever, ever use the term "triplets" for a Redskins team. That's a Dallas thing and I want no part of it. We'd all be arrested for attempted murder if the Cowboys ever called their line "the Hogs"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 8:29 AM |

MistaMoe:

I don't believe you.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:29 AM |

MistaMoe = turdbrain

Posted by: ElDrano | September 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

So are you suggesting that the team just dump him and get nothing for the millions they're paying him?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It appears that "The Rock" is somewhat un-apprecitive of his spot on an NFL roster. Seems UN-Captain like to be stirring things up on game week.

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 8, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 8, 2009 12:44 PM |

No. Not at all. I'm just saying that you can't give the guy 4 years to become an asset. He needs to step it up and contribute or be ready to lose his job next year if someone comes in like Marko and impresses. Again, how long do you give a guy??

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

These people aren’t experts anymore than you or I; they just have a podium. Most are too lazy to do proper research, so they simply parrot lines they read or hear on radio or television. The only team(s) they know something about are the team(s) they follow, i.e. their favorite team, which is why you get so much bias in their reporting. The best information comes from each teams’ local beat reporters, like this one.

I wish there was a little more accountability in the sports media. Just as a reporter should take credit when correct, the reporter should also show a little humility, and admit when wrong. Form an opinion and stick by it. If you thought Malcomb Kelly was a bust and you were wrong then say so. This goes a long way in building your credibility. Show some foresight. Don’t state the obvious using hindsight. Any idiot can form an opinion on things that have already occurred.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | September 8, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

How about Fun Bunch? Has that been used yet?? ;-)

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rock,

Quit complaining. You've been a good player for us and we appreciate it. And you've done a great job on special teams. Part of your appeal, however, has been that you've just played hard and not been a trouble maker.

In case you don't know, the economy sucks right now, lots of people are out of work and you should be thankful to make in two years what most people will make in their lifetimes. The Redskins have paid you for eight years of service and because of that you now qualify for a lifetime pension. Shut up! If you don't like your situation then don't sign with the Redskins in the future.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | September 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm just surprised that Rock is just figuring it out that he's not all that good at running the ball. WOW. He still has a job on special teams for now, maybe he should dedicate himself to keeping his status as the KR before he gets humbled further. This is the NFL you know ( Not For Long)

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Man yall just forgot about the Giants D!
They wore us out last year!
Our DE STINKS! Heck our DB stink! You know they will run Jacobs off the end because of Haynesworth. They have another fast and tough RB! Jacobs brings power! One,Two punch! Third quarter how will our D be looking?
Watch what happens Big foot and the Old man will be know good by third quarter.
I like Cartwright but buddie you are a special team player. You had a little stint when Portis was hurt, YOU STANK! Should have been gone long time ago but you were tough on special teams. Betts just be happy because you have know break away speed!
The Skins have GRINDERS non are great backs.
Is ZORN A WIZARD? THEY DON'T DO WELL HERE.
Good but not great!
Maybe next year we will concentrate on building a o-line of young guys something that should have been address three years ago.
MISS TAYLOR he was the only reason i watch the skins because SNYDER IS GREEDY!

So I predict 8-8!
Will be really shocked if they lead the league anytime this season.

Posted by: SOLVBACK | September 8, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

It's perfectly legal. Just 0 QB's.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Portis doesn't like to catch passes. They do nothing to pad the yards needed to reach Riggins. He often appears to drop them?

So, okay this is WC so if they throw to Betts on 1st and 2nd down then Portis can come in. Of course with Portis it will be easy to guess what play Zorn might turn.

Yep, a "money guy" that everyone knows has an ownership edict to get a certain number of reps on the ground. Makes it easy for your local defense now doesn't it?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Your 8 inactives:
Henson
Westbrook
Barnes
E. Williams
Mason
Yoder
Jarmon
M Williams

Posted by: wewbank1 | September 8, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sherman Smith

Absolutely, and notice how ARE is absent from the feel good receive list!!

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 8, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Skins OLine picture:
acquire Damon McIntosh or Langston Walker to back up Samuels & Heyer.

Make Mike Williams the next Leonard Davis (aka move him from tackle to guard).

Rinehart, Edwin and Mike Williams backup G/C (although all 3 are shaky).

problem solved until the '10 draft, but lord pls don't let a starter go doen

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 8, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I really, really like the matchup (as I will most of the season) with NYG's WR vs WASH CB's. Our CB's are better. I like the matchups with our D Line vs their O Line. However, their D Line is better than our O Line. I think 13-14 points wins this one. I give the Giants 10 points, and we win 13-10.

Posted by: dallas287 | September 9, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I would still love to see Mike Sellars at Tailback with 2 TE's. Tampa Bay used Alstot at Tailback a lot. I wish we would.

Posted by: dallas287 | September 9, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

bernard_thompson:

You forgot WIL MONGOMERY, the best x-season of the lot.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse