Campbell gets start but not commitment

Although Coach Jim Zorn named quarterback Jason Campbell the Redskins' starter for Monday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field, it's not as if Zorn has totally recommitted to Campbell, whom he benched at halftime of the last game. Not in the least.

In a meeting with the quarterbacks Monday, Zorn told Campbell he would likely start but told Collins to "be ready," league sources said. That's not type of comment from a coach that necessarily inspires confidence in a supposed No. 1 quarterback.

The belief among many Redskins players is that Zorn would make a change quickly at quarterback against Philadelphia if Campbell struggles. Zorn lost a measure of respect among some veterans in the locker room, players said, because of his decision to bench Campbell after halftime of the 14-6 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. To be sure, Campbell struggled, the veterans acknowledged, but he had a worse first-half outing in the 16-13 victory in Week 4 over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Campbell impressed his teammates by rebounding with a strong performance in the second half of that game.

Zorn said he made the decision to go with Collins -- who provided an early spark but also struggled -- late in the second quarter, but players said Zorn made comments to Campbell after the Redskins' first series from scrimmage that led many to believe he went into the game eager to make a change. Privately, some players were upset because it seemed as if Zorn singled out Campbell as the main problem on offense when there are much bigger problems all along the offensive line.

In criticizing Zorn's decision to bench Campbell, cornerback DeAngelo Hall publicly expressed what some players have said privately. Players have publicly supported Zorn despite his questionable play-calling during his short tenure that will end soon, they said, and now is not the time to turn on each other.

"It's just good to have the support of your teammates and for guys to know you're trying to do everything you can to stay positive and help the team no matter what happens," Campbell said. "No matter what else is going on, I'm going to keep doing everything I can to try to get this turned around."

By Jason Reid  |  October 21, 2009; 7:03 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Levi Jones and RB signed; Alridge, Mason released
Next: Wednesday morning links

Comments

Campbell is starting to make me upset. I have been a fan of his character, but now he just sounds like a sore loser. He missed three wide open receivers, and still expects to be in charge. Ridiculous!

Deangelo Hall needs to shut up and play like hes worth 53 million dollars.

First!

Posted by: piyusharora | October 21, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

As I have stated and so many others have. Until you fix the line it is not going to matter who you have back there.

Posted by: jm220 | October 21, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

JC or Collins. Who cares?

All these roster moves don't mean jack. Considering the team decided the offensive line was the reason for the 2-6 slide last year, and did nothing in the offseason to improve it. Why would anyone expect a different outcome?

I really want a better recap of the conversation Gannon had with Snyder.

From the bits and pieces I read, it almost sounds like Snyder said, "Yea, well...I mean, I'm better than Al Davis...at least."

Very depressing.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 21, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

piyusharora I disagree. What QB hasn't struggled in a game? Up until that point, Zorn was saying that JC was playing well. Then after a slow start, he benches him? Players (a most reasonable people) see through that maneuver. The players know that the coaches here are feeling the heat. Zorn found a scapegoat. What Zorn did by benching Campbell (particularly if he made the decision so early in the game) was to once again throw a player under the bus. When Zorn first got the job, he did the same "it's not my plays, it's the players" b.s. Many on this blog cautioned that this approach was a doubled edge sword. Now, with the team struggling to score, Zorn fell back to that tactic. Now, some of you will consider this post as me being a JC supporter, which is really the short sighted way of looking at the post. It's about the principle behind Zorn's decision. The problems behind the offense's lack of production aren't going to be fixed by changing the QB this year. They need better play calling, a better OL, a better running game, better practices so their execution of plays improves. Now, I must admit that JC needs to stop being so sensitive to what people say or think of him. JC is really a guy IMO that isn't very self-confident. He talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk. I only hope after being benched he realizes that no one has his back, except himself, and go out and ball.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to agree...everybody wants to play armchair quarterback. actions speak louder than words. I'm no Primetime fan but he made a good comment sunday night on NFLN saying the media is guilty of getting more people than not fired because of the influence caused by negative reporting. you media mongers know it's true...the more you stir it, the worse it stinks. to be fair tho, neon deion also made a fool of himself in the same breath...couldn't remember the name of FEDEX Field...moron.

Games are won in the trenches and whoever (like we don't know who) made the decision to go with little to no talent on the o-line is getting their just rewards. No player is perfect...JC is included so get off his back and let the boy play. JZ, the learning curve is steeper than you expected...coordinator experience would have helped. VC and DS...start listening to some football people about structure and management...you 2 are making a fool out of the organization with your rediculous decision making. Sherman Lewis...really guys...really??? and you think this is going to have some profound difference...I swear I could lead a discussion that would reveal better alternatives than the plan you have put in place. That's right...not much confidence in a play caller who's unfamiliar with the personell and terminology and who was marginal i the only season that he DID call plays as coordinator...not to mention, he was a freakin bingo caller up until 2 weeks ago...really guys...really?? I guess we'll see monday night...wait til you see this onslaught on monday morning...

Posted by: songsofpraise | October 21, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread

Let me speak up for those who are not here. I'm friends with Barno. Poopy will have you believe we are the same person, but this is not the case. I have actually met a few of you at the Redskins Insider meet up at the bar in Seattle before our last playoff game. I was in attendance with Barno and a few other friends.

Here's the thing about Barno...he does come off abrasive and he does almost always think he is right, but he also admits when he's wrong. His attack on JLC was a bit over the top but, let's face it, JLC was overly negative and renegged on a promised prize; however, stupid that prize was. (I believe a Rock CD signed by Cooley for making up some song.)

Give the dude a break though. He bleeds burgandy and gold and is obviously as down about this season as we all are. Poopy, in all his efforts, is no better then FIRE_JIMZORN, as he has single-handedly killed what little there was of the Terps Insider with his alias and subsequent fake alises.

(And poop...I can attest Barno isn't the other poops that you claim since we were out watching the Wizards game during the time of those posts. In other words, you need help.)

That is all....carry on.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 21, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

It bothers me when players start to say "don't fire this coach" and "don't bench this player". Hey, these guys' opinions are important, but that kind of stuff should stay in the locker room. Who runs this team? Who is the voice of this team? That person should be the one speaking to the media. I am sure the players don't know all that is going on, all that has been promised and said, so they are, at best, uninformed observers. People criticize a coach like Belicheck for his "media blackouts" but it is undeniable that he is the voice of the team. The making of a good team starts with a good leader, and the Redskins have not found that guy, yet. When they do, there are a lot of players that will have their feelings hurt because they will be told to just shut up and play ball.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Talk about undermining the authority of the coach. It seems to be the city's favorite pasttime at the moment.

Of course, none have done more to undermine his authority than the man himself, who continues to second-guess a solid decision to bench this so-called quarterback for lack of production -- and then decides to start him again, despite no evidence of change, commitment or improved performance.

Oh well, it will be good to see them both gone soon -- and hopefully, no later than Tuesday.

FIRE ZORN
RELEASE CAMPBELL
FIRE VINNY
RELEASE PORTIS

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Jason quit stirring the pot. This team is 2 -4. Campbell continues to hold onto the ball too long and miss wide open receivers even when he has time. Yes he is a nice guy and he has a poor offense line in front of him. Last year McNabb got benched. Gibbs benched starters before. Whats wrong with a coach trying a different QB if you scored zero points against a team that had not won a game?

Posted by: fja711 | October 21, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

It's just clearer and clearer that Zorn will not be here a week from now.

Posted by: rallenii | October 21, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Deangelo Hall needs to shut up and play like hes worth 53 million dollars.

First!

Posted by: piyusharora | October 21, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

yeah but as long as Rogers is talking about the owner he gets praised right?

Bottom line they should all shutup and stick together,and stop all the back stabing.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Dare I say, MVick will get a look here? At least he's mobile/quick enough to escape the pressure from up front?

Posted by: RedBaron2008 | October 21, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Chick Hernandez (who does a Monday show with Zorn) said on the sports reporters that Zorn knows that they "management" want him to resign. Zorn then said he wasn't resigning, he's going to fight on. The players have to know that is the case as well, but most have publicly supported Zorn, even after some of Zorn's spotty play calling. The players know that they aren't talented enough on the OL. Doc Walker said yesterday that Phillip Daniels said the OL isn't nasty enough. So to not give the QB (JC or TC) full support moving forward shows to me flawed decision making. Make a decision and stick with it, until it becomes obvious that the QB's play is losing games.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

It's just clearer and clearer that Zorn will not be here a week from now.

Posted by: rallenii | October 21, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

And he shouldn't be

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it. It's going to be a long time before this team has the right combination of management, coaching and players to be successful, but a good GM wouldn't be a bad start.

Posted by: min7th | October 21, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

NE benched, no scratch that, de-activated Adalius Thomas for their game against Tenn. Why? Partly because he wasn't getting it done. No one said a peep.

Everyone's job is up for grabs, JC hasn't played so greatly that he's beyond reproach, Deangelo is in the same boat. They're 2-4, and have lost to some of the worst teams in the league, and barely beat the others. Instead of focusing on JC getting benched, maybe they should man up, make a play, and win some games.

In a 1996 game against Minnesota, Parcells was losing at halftime...he spoke to the players on the team, and asked them, "when are you gonna get sick of losing all the time".....when are these guys gonna get sick of losing....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

If the team is simply an extension of the person who owns it, and we all dislike the owner, and the players come and go in free agency, and the caoches are on a carasouel... then why do we all still rout for this team?

Is it because of geographic proximity?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Is it because of geographic proximity?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 8:29 AM |

I can't speak for everyone but I was raised to like this team, my Father used to take me to games at RFK when I was little.

There is no possible way I could ever stop rooting for the team, I don't care how bad it gets.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

When are people going to realize Vick is not even a no 2 QB anymore. guy is 1/5 passing with 1 yard and a 2.2 yards per rush average.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Is it because of geographic proximity?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

That is the dumbest thing ever posted up here

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Another reason I had to like the Skins is because if you didn't like the Skins, you were not allowed to watch football in my house.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn lost a measure of respect among some veterans in the locker room, players said, because of his decision to bench Campbell after halftime of the 14-6 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. To be sure, Campbell struggled, the veterans acknowledged, but he had a worse first-half outing in the 16-13 victory in Week 4 over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers"

This cracks me up, it really does. So they should have just ignored that JC has been so erratic, and awful, and just keep trotting him out there?? Sort of like the offensive play calling, just keep doing the same thing, and expect different results....ugh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Ditto....

I wish the fans of today were more like the fans of RFK,and make homefield homefield again.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

The players should be losing respect for themselves, with the crap play thats going on every week.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

how many times has Zorn had the opportunity to call out D. Hall for his lousy coverage and tackling? Numerous, right? So, D. Hall needs to shut up.

Jason Campbell is terrible. He's not going to be on this roster next year no matter who the next head coach is, so this argument is moot.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 21, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey maybe we could get the guy who turned things around on the Saints defense. Who is their new Def. Coord? Oh right...

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Things to Do:

1) Fire Vinny
2) Remove Entire Coaching Staff: (they can't be effective now)
3) Release or trade Clinton Tortoise
4) Release or trade Antwan Randle El
5) Release Randy Thomas
6) Hire a proven GM who can hire his coach.
7) Bring in New Coach
8) Draft from trenches out consistently.

Stir and enjoy better brewed football.

Posted by: MadeRED | October 21, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

flound EXACTLY, JZ should tell deangelo that guys who get juked out of their jockstrap by 36 yr old white qb's, have no room to talk....especially if the qb then DRAGS the aforementioned hall for 3-4 yards......

riggo was right in his video, someone, JZ, Brache, Gray, should have their foot 3 yards up the spinchter of Hall for missing that tackle....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru. I live almost 3,000 miles from Washington, D.C. (much closer to Dallas) I'm a Redskin fan, I've followed the team since I was a boy in the 50's. From Eddie LeBaron's time through all the lean years, the glory years,and the recent turbulence. On Sundays, I watch the Redskins, no other team. Maybe I'll watch a Monday night game not involving the Redskins. It's a special thing being a Redskin Fan. By the way, F Dallas!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 8:39 AM

If JC is so erratic and play so poor, why go back to him before they even have practice this week?

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

JC or TC? Does it really matter? It's like picking between two Mexican restaurants. There may be a slight preference for one but the end result is always the same...a giant deuce 3 hours later.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 21, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

twis, no idea?? Wasn't my decision. I'd have given Collins the week of first team reps, then seen what he could do against philly, what could be the absolute worst thing that could happen by doing that.....I mean, how do you think JC will play on Monday night?? Do you think he'll come out and light it up, or will it be more of the same of what we've seen all year long.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I am with flounder, it is a father son thing that gets so many of us all into these teams.

2 of my earliest memories are
1- watching the 4th of july firework.

2- sitting on a couch with my dad and a client of his, as we watched the redskins games together, between plays they talked about how to legalize medical marijuana then get back to football.

Later on in my teens we would shoot some pool in the basement while watching the games, best bonding he my brother and I ever did. He taught us how to cook chili for the games.

If we can't separate the team from our past, can we expect to disown them now? Because if you have ever disowned a family member you know that it something very hard to do, and its something you never get over.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

fushezzi,
My only issue with Barno is that he is so hard on everybody EXCEPT Snyder. I just don't understand it.
Everybody thinks they are right on a blog, i don't have a problem with that. But you don't get bonus points for bleeding burgundy and gold on a Skins blog.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

BG I don't know. I think Campbell's confidence is shot. He's the type of person that needs to know that he's wanted, and he ain't gonna get that here. In the past when JC has been pissed off he's had strong performances. Let's hope that is the case.

My opinion about this benching and subsequent reversal, and the reason players are speaking out, is that pressure to make a QB change came from the top. The players know it. If JC was struggling to warrant benching it would be evident in practice, on the films, etc.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

if campbell makes the deep throws to thomas or moss, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. while todd collins didn't do anything amazing, his first deep ball was perfectly thrown. when the OL does block well, collins was more effective.

campbell shouldn't have zorn's full support until he earns it by playing consistently well. right now he's playing consistently mediocre

hope snyder learns something from this.

Posted by: moo21 | October 21, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

alex, i'm not saying Vick's a good QB, i'm just trying to think like the FO...if there's not wholesale changes coming.

Posted by: RedBaron2008 | October 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

twisi,

JC play on the field warranted benching.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Tortoise! That's a good one!

How about Sideline Scramble El?

Zoron is a pretty good one, too.

Gosh, our team is so funny.

Ha Ha Ho man.

PS - Hip Hip Hooray.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"all this stuff is coming out now because zorn is powerless and the players all think they have the answer now because their heads are inflated due to their big salaries."

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Washington Redskins.

Zorn: "Come on guys, follow me!"

Players: "Where? To the unemployment line??"

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 21, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"He's the type of person that needs to know that he's wanted, and he ain't gonna get that here"

time to toughen up, time to over-come, put the big-boy pants on. Your line sucks, guess what, so do other lines, and other qb's are getting it done with less, so time for a little personal responsibility, time to rise above it all and LEAD...enough with the excuses about not being loved/wanted/hugged enough, hit the open guy....period.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

There is a very good chance Zorn benched JC because Vinny told him to via Danny. Remember who we are dealing with..
BOYCOTT the REDSKINS!!!! and get rid of danny boy. Please sign the petition and send to your friends.
or

Posted by: mattphillips | October 21, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

And Monday morning
Monday morning couldn't guarantee;
That Monday evening you would still
Be here with me.

Hey, Zorn-- Welcome to Bodybag Game 2.0

Posted by: InRealAmerica | October 21, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

D.C. Police are "cracking" down on speeders. For the first
offense, they give you two Redskins tickets. (If you get stopped a
second
time, they give you two Nationals tickets.)"

Q. What do you call 47 millionaires sitting around a TV watching
the Super Bowl?
A. The Washington Redskins.

Q. What do the Redskins and Billy Graham have in common?
A. They both can make 70,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus
Christ".

Q. How do you keep the Redskins out of your yard?
A. Put up a goal post.

Q. Where do you go in D.C. in case of a tornado?
A. To FedEx Field - they never have a touchdown there!

Q. What do you call a Redskin with a Super Bowl ring?
A. Senior Citizen

Q. How many Redskins does it take to win a Super Bowl?
A. We may never find out in the 21st century.

Q. What do the Redskins and possums have in common?
A. Both play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Posted by: riceldi | October 21, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there's any way PHilly gives up Ron Mexico to the skins.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Barno has always defended Snyder. It's just what he does.

He's one of those who subscribes to the idea that he's a good owner and wants to win "because he spends the money"

Truth is Danny has plenty of money. His pride is far more precious. He has as of yet been unwilling to swallow that. When he does, then i'll be convinced "he wants to win"

Until then he'll be the NFL version of Sisyphus.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the new play caller is gonna call plays to his strenghts.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBaron2008 | October 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for targeting you then, but I am just saying Vick is overrated.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Until then he'll be the NFL version of Sisyphus.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

They have a shot now that will clear that right up.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Q. Why did the Redskin cross the road?
A. To look for another job.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Q. What's Maroon and Black and read all over?
A. The Redskin Insider of the Washington Post.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

fushezzi = barno1 = Cerrato = JACK A$$...

Please don't insult us!!!

FIRE fushezzi = barno1 = Cerrato = JACK A$$!!!!

Posted by: riceldi | October 21, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor's written this like those vets would have preferred Zorn sub some on the o-line. Riiiiiight. Players are looking for an excuse to dissent. Point your fingers at Vinny, men. Would you really rather have Bingoman and Gray lead you?

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 21, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

It's a special thing being a Redskin Fan. By the way, F Dallas!

Posted by: VegasJim

I have always felt the same way, but Ihave been trying to break it down logically in light of recent events.

1. Every time I get attached to a team mate, they let him go.

2. Every time a coach is brought in, and you try to develop loyalty, they let him go.

3. The current coach ripped a legend (Sonny Jurgenson)

4. The only continuous thing has been Dan Snyder and Vinny Ceratto, both of which I can't stand.

5. The only consistent thing left from the team I grew up and loves are the team colors.

So, I wonder if we are all just rooting for a uniform? Are we blindly following a team that we whole heartedly and philosophically disagree with in direction and purpose?

Even legends like Riggo and B-Mitch are distancing themselves from the team that they loved more than any of us ever could.

Are we rooting for more that team colors and a name? Do we really have a reason to be fans anymore?

Please, help me out on this, because I really want to know.... seriously here.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Q. What do you get when you mix a sawed off Napolean with an inept suck up?
A. The Redskins front office.

Q. What were Zorn's last words as Coach of the Washington Redskins?
A. "We're getting better."

Q. What was the subject of Haynesworth's postgame explosion in the locker room?
A. One Twinkie too many.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

for the love of god can anyone tell me the contract details on Levi?

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"Point your fingers at Vinny, men"

While vinny certainly deserves his share of the blame, should DHall blame vinny for missing the tackle on Delhomme, should JC blame vinny for missing open guys, should Heyer blame vinny for sucking....

blame goes ALL the way around on this team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Q. Against whom will Randle El finally return a punt for a TD?
A. A punt team made up of 5 DeAngelo Halls, 5 Laron Landrys, and Greg Pakulak.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

...
- Sports_Guru

Your issue: You are bringing logic into being a fan.

Stop! The two don't mix, don't try and make them.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 21, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

SO....TWO THINGS I PICKED UP THAT I THINK IS IMPORTANT...

1ST AND FOREMOST...

Jim Zorn stated on Redskin Nation that in the KC game, that JC had protection WELL ENOUGH TO PASS THE BALL BUT HE MISSED ON A FEW OPPORTUNITIES.

I REPEAT...THE PROTECTION WAS GOOD ENOUGH! BUT HE MISSED THE RECEIVERS. Out of JZ's mouth, not mine.....

2ND....

Marcus Mason was on 106.7 this morning and said the Portis vs. Sellers confrontation was NO WHERE NEAR NEWS WORTHY. AND IT WASN'T LIKE THEY WERE ABOUT TO FIGHT. He said he couldn't believe that something sooooooooooo SMALL got blown out of proportion and made it into the MEDIA (Cue 4-12).

That is all.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

twisi,

JC play on the field warranted benching.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:08 AM

Boo hickey. JC hasn't lost games this year. As a fan I wish JC was more decisive in the pocket, and played with a better timing, but he hasn't lost the skins any game.

BG I agree, he needs to be a mentally stronger, but that ain't happening. It irritates me when I hear him say he's going to play loose, and not care about what people are saying, then comes out playing as if the weight of DC is on his shoulders.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

zj, had to be a 1 year for the vet min, otherwise we'd have heard about it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

When the Lions work you out and don't sign you then the next team that does pays you vet min.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

twisi,

He was playing like crap, he hasn't won any games for the team this year either.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm done with the JC thing, he is not a good QB some see that some never will.

If you think JC is a good QB then root for him on his next team if he ever plays.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

zj, had to be a 1 year for the vet min, otherwise we'd have heard about it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I sure as heck hope so, but I was under the impression the reason he was on the street for so long was his contract demands, that he wanted big money. That's why I want to officially here 1 year, I don't so much care about vet min. or 15 mil as long as its for only 1 year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

BG I agree, he needs to be a mentally stronger, but that ain't happening.

So if he need to know he's wanted as you state, and it's not happening here, how can you question his benching?? I mean how many times is he gonna come out and give the tired line, of "I'm gonna be a gun slinger" and then play like he's got an acorn between his butt cheeks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

twisi,

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:29 AM

I'm not saying he a good or great QB, but a coaches decision has to be consistent. JC isn't the only player on offense that hasn't helped win games. It's whatever. My main point is that JZ vacillation is showing a flaw within the way he is running the team.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

It's a special thing being a Redskin Fan. By the way, F Dallas!

Posted by: VegasJim

1. Every time I get attached to a team mate, they let him go.

3. The current coach ripped a legend (Sonny Jurgenson)

Please, help me out on this, because I really want to know.... seriously here.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Dude you really don't get it do you?

Skins fans have nothing to complain about compared to.Detroit,cincy,Clevland,Seattle,Phoenix,Carolina,Jacksonville,Tenn,Texans,Buffalo,San diego,kansas city,minnisota,the falcons,philly...

not one of those teams have ever won a super bowl...

San fran,Dallas,Chicago,the Raiders...for these teams it's been just about as long or longer.

Tha's half the league

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The front office chose a QB coach to lead them, when he doesn't have a clue about how to be a head coach.

He was brought in to run the offense.

Rich Gannon just watched their practice and game and came to the conclusion the offense is run by someone completely in over their head.

So, I'm done critiquing the players on offense. When a guy like Gannon says something like that, I'll take him at his word.

Sweet hire, Snyderatto. Sweet hire.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 21, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Zorn is wishy washy and by the end of the first quarter his facial expression says, "OH, God, please help me! We're doomed and I have no clue what to do next! Panic, men! Everyone, Panic NOW!"

Other than that, he's cool. I mean, if you don't count the whole WCO thing against him. Or the Seattle socks. Or the Maroon and Black. Or continually bending over for Snyderatto. Or just basically being in over his head and never doing anything that's not in his "West Coast For Dummies" book.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

By: JReid

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is some BS. Are the Vets on offense or defense? Starters or the 53rd man? WTF??

This type of stuff is sloppy IMHO.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 9:30 AM | R

I am. He's a good guy and I hope he grows as a professional where ever he ends up. You can hate him and not support him, I don't give a hoot.

BG it's not the benching on game day per say, it's going back to him even though there was no competition, that I a problem with. IMO I can't help but feel that Vinny was busy sticking his nose where it shouldn't be.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Sport_Guru nothing logical about being a Redskin fan, either you are or you are not. By the way, I wonder how all the ship jumping fans that chose to root for the Ravens after week 3 are doing? Three game losing streak for the Ravens. Maybe those fairweather fans are dragging them down. But the Ravens lose with so much flair!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Gannon. Laid the wood to old Snyder, huh?

Well, it never ceases to amaze me how people with millions of other people's money can be so dense. Just not smart at all.

Hopefully, he'll at least have the common sense to listen to someone else.

I can't believe Firing Vinny is even a question, really. I mean, of all the coaches and players who are "over their head" it's either Vinny or Sherm. Zorn is a close runner up.

Our Offense sucks. Zorn doesn't know squat. That, compounded by no O Line and no accountability is a recipe for scoring 6 points against the worst Defense in the league... AT HOME. In a must win.

You've got to be kidding me.
Zorn, leave now. You and Vinny and Sherm, get out before kickoff Monday.

Let Collins call plays. Who cares.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

First, JC may be a stronger QB in many respects then Collins, but when your offense is failing the way the 'Skins are, and Campbell has no previous track record to speak of, you switch quarterbacks. You just do.

Guru, fandom is about memories and loyalty. You're right; there is nothing consistent about this team but Snyderrato, but you continue to root, because it's what you do. It's of course tied to growing up in the D.C. area, but you've developed your loyalty, and you stay with the team, win or lose. It's an emotional investment, and sometimes emotions are illogical, but that's the way it is.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

thats another guy that needs to shut up and make a tackle, hall.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 21, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

going back to campbell is just another stupid move by this team, at least give collins a game to show what he could do, his one long pass to moss was the best pass play i have seen all year.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | October 21, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Of course DeAngelo Hall is supporting Campbell and giving him advices. Hall figured out a long time ago that the NFL will pay you money even if you are not talented because there are so many sucker owners like Daniel Snyder. All you have to do is talk like a Pro and you will get paid like a Pro! See, easy money!

Posted by: DuhHumanity | October 21, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

EXECUTION ??? Jim Zorn has lost more games this year due to poor play calling/ selection then poor player execution !! (CAN ANYONE SAY PORTIS TO THE LEFT ON THE GOAL LINE MUTIPLE TIMES ???)

ZORN, starting using the word "EXECUTION" a a way to shift blame to the players !! The sad thing is the players tryed to stick up for the coach and said the same thing !! It was amazing no player said anything about Zorn and his play calling and decision making. Is it not how "The Pot Is Calling The Kettle Black." Zorn is now bashing Campbell for his decision making ?? LOL Did Campbell not stand in there and support his coach earlier this year.

Maybe you guys forgot how Campbell was moving the ball down the field in past games we just could not score in the red zone. What about the passes that Sellers and Thomas dropped in the endzone. What about Portis Left/ Portis Left on the goal line?? What about the hook and latteral play. This was when we had at least a washed up Samuels playing left tackle now he is gone.

Poor Coaching has cost us more games than poor execution!!

Posted by: LETJASONPASS | October 21, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

... So to not give the QB (JC or TC) full support moving forward shows to me flawed decision making. Make a decision and stick with it, until it becomes obvious that the QB's play is losing games.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 8:25 AM

LMAO. If it hasn't been obvious to you by now, it will never be. Chance Gardner, aka Teflon Campbell, was never a good QB.

Posted by: hock1 | October 21, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"hope snyder learns something from this"

Posted by: moo21 | October 21, 2009 9:01 AM |

Woa, deep denial there moo

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 21, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn knows that Snyder wants him to quit? Now, it makes sense why he is going back to Campbell - He is forcing Snyder to fire him. Great move.

Einstein Hall is upset because Campbell got benched? His reasoning for it is that Campbell threw one Hail Mary pass in the second half against the worst team (not including the skins) in the NFL and they barely ended up with a win. Einstein Hall should be in comedy he seems to have more talent on that field. LMAO.

Posted by: hock1 | October 21, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Until then he'll be the NFL version of Sisyphus.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:12 AM

You mean swallow it like when he hired Marty Shottenheimer and gave him 100% authority to run the team? That lasted one year. Dan Snyder's never going to get it. He's not capable of getting it. He's an @**hole, get it?

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 21, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn lost a measure of respect among some veterans in the locker room, players said"

GIVE ME A BREAK!! They don't want any one messing with their CASH COW!!!!!

Offense is a joke.....

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

What's with the wuss nature of this team? If "some veterans" are going to be peeved that an obviously struggling quarterback is benched in an attempt to find a better outcome, then this team is worse off than I thought. The team is filled with whining, sniveling ankle-biters like Clinton Portis and can't, won't, and never will rise up and man up to their responsibilities.

The more I see of this team, the more embarrassed I am for giving up three hours on Sunday to watch them mock us fans.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 21, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Well put. Campbell's psyche is made out of straw.

Posted by: Painful_priapism | October 21, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

RESPONSE FROM BARNO

All-

I see that Poopy_McPoop has been re-posting many of my comments on here lately. I think it's pretty obvious that Poopy_McPoop is actually Jason La Canfora, and he's finally exacting his revenge on me. Obviously JK. In all seriousness, those quotes are pretty humorous when you put them all together, and I certainly deserve it--as I did the same thing reposting the comments of those who demanded Gary Williams be fired after the Terps made the tourney last March. I do wish someone else had done this other than Poopy, who is universally despised over at the Terrapin Insider for his pointless and often dishonest comments. But someone had to do it, I asked for it.

However, other than the prediction comments he quotes of mine, no context was given and the comments were often cropped by Poopy. This is Poopy's m.o. For instance, in quoting Dan Steinberg on his chat this week, he intentionally deleted Steinberg's kind words including "When a similar (though much less intense) despair was afflicting Terps basketball last winter, Barno repeatedly said that the Terps would be fine and that everyone would love Gary Williams again by April. I think he was right. When national analysts were predicting doom and gloom for the Strasburg negotiations, he repeatedly said that Strasburg would sign for a reasonable number and there was no need for even the slightest nerves, even into the last few hours. He was right there, too." And "the WaPost is better because of Barno." Poopy dishonestly removed those comments when quoting Steinberg's response.

That's the kind of slimy tactic he uses. In addition, there are a few comments Poopy attributes to me that I do not recall writing at all (Eddie Jordan being driven out of town by the media? Can't imagine why I would ever have said that, I never felt that way..but maybe if some context had been given I could see where that came from).

But I am not running away from any of the many comments I wrote about this team. I posted a few times the other day that I was about as wrong as one can get this year about the Redskins. I was wrong in spectacular fashion. I apologized for my relentless idiotic predictions but it obviously didn't satisfy some, and that's their prerogative (btw, PDiddy, this "disturbed jerk" is still interested in donating to your non profit which as I recall aims to promote fatherhood/fight against out of wedlock births--one issue we do agree on. I've asked before if you're willing to post the name of the charity, but if not that's understandable and no big deal).

To be continued...

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

RESPONSE FROM BARNO PART II

There are other claims I vehemently disagree with, namely that I have a campaign against Jason Reid. While I have on a couple of occasions pointed out some things he's written that I have taken exception to, I have also complimented his reporting on numerous occasions, both on the blog and in email to him. I call it as I see it. He and I have had good back and forths, and he thanked and credited me for calling him out on his Mason preseason comments, and said he dedicated a blog item to explaining his stance on Mason thanks to my writing to him).

As for Jason La Canfora, I'll leave that one alone since he is gone now. I'll just say that I was far from alone in my stance on him.

Last but not least, as for Poop's repeated claims that I am the 2 fake poopies that are on Terp insider, all I can say is you can believe what you want, but that's not my style at all. Someone created a fake Barno account on here a while ago and was posting on Redskins Insider for months pretending to be me (he still pops up from time to time). I have no doubt at least some of resentment by Diddy and some others was built bc of some of the things that were said in that time by the fake Barno, but it's no big deal to me. I just feel those tactics are pretty damn cheap and again, I wouldn't do something like that.

I'm not running away from any of my actual comments, more than anything I am just crushed that the Redskins did not live up to them than anything else. I will always believe that this team could have been a good team had Thomas, and later Samuels, not gone down. But I don't think we'll ever get to find out. But I can take the heat and as I said before, feel free to continue to pile on me--I deserve it--and I expect Poopy and others will.

That's about it. Sorry for the book, there was a lot of ground to cover.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

What bothers me the most about this whole circus is that Dan Snyder is pulling the strings through his yes man Cerrato and doesn't have the guts to be accountable. If he wants Zorn out as coach, that's fine. He should have fired him after the K.C. game instead of trying to get him to resign by humiliating him. Everyone on the team and the media knows Zorn is gone.

Snyder needs to step up and say that he made the decision to hire Zorn on advice from his GM and now realizes this was a mistake...he also needs to give the Redskins fans some reason to support the team by saying that there will be changes in the front office forthcoming. Right now, it only appears that Zorn and Campbell are the scapegoats for poor ownership and management.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 21, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Jason is a player like anyone else.. If he is playing poorly of course Zorn should give someone else a shot... Zorn gave Rhinehart what a game now he's back on the bench. Anyone up in arms over that? How about Horton is behind Doughty now?? Campbell finished last year 2-6. This year is was 2-3, against some of the worse teams in the league, Zorn had to give Collins a shot. His mistake is not giving Collins more of a chance. C'mon coming off the bench cold, not playing in almost 2 years how could anyone expect Collins to be sharp?? But Collins still completed the longest pass of the day and lead the skins on 2 scoring drives.. Collins SHOULD be the guy starting ths week..

Posted by: sovine08 | October 21, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

First of all....DeAnglo Hall needs to STFU. Spend less time talking and more time learning how to f'ing TACKLE. This isn't flag football, Mr. $53 million. You have to actually hit the ball carrier, wrap him up, and take him to the ground. Not grab at his jersey like some pansy.

I feel better now that I have that off my chest.

OK..about Zorn benching JC... I see it differently. I think maybe JZ made the move to show Dan 'the Snake' Snyder and Vinny 'my breath smells like Snyder ass' Cerrato that JC isn't the problem. No matter who you put in there, it isn't going to make a difference because you have:
- a high school OL
- a RB with 2 dead wheels and no motivation
- only one good WR (who is always doubled)
- a TE that can't go out on routes because he has to stay in and block
- a punt returner who catches the ball (sometimes) then takes a step left, a step right, another step left, and falls to the ground.

The QB is the position that has the most impact on the offense, and if by changing the QB you still can't do squat, it shows that the problems lie somewhere else.

Maybe ol' Zorny is being smart.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | October 21, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

My opinon:

Zorn was told before the game that if offensive production was not better, he would lose his playcalling abilities. If he was contemplating benching JC in the first quarter - this is why. Vinnie informed Zorn shortly after the game (before reviewing film or anything) that he had indeed been demoted.

Zorn went against his principles to protect himself and his job. A man without principles is less than a man. Those same lack of principles is allowing him to stay there and continue to take abuse from Snyder and Vinnie.

JC should have been benched in the Tampa Bay game. He earned that right in the first half. He was not benched and came back to win that game. JC won that game.

Zorn was trying to find a spark in the KC game because of his pregame ultimatum. It did not work, he lost playcalling duties so he is going back to JC. He will forever wonder if had he let JC play the second half, could he had pulled out another win like he did in Tampa Bay.

When you don't stick to your principles you will lose your way.

Posted by: SPUD2 | October 21, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Since when is DeAnglelo Hall the spokesperson for this team? Redskins' football has become a joke. Thanks, Snyder, you loser...

Posted by: matthewrayman | October 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Dan, you aren't better than Al Davis. He has superbowl rings you don't. That's it in a nutshell dude. You're the worst of the worst along with the Fords I guess.

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

D'Angelo Hall is already paid. He doesn't have to worry. Carlos Rogers is leaving so he doesn't care. Any more questions out there?

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's the blame. You, me, him, the dog, etc. That seems to be the theme surrounding all of this. Who do we blame for what's wrong with the Skins. The main issue here is the Owner. Period, end of discussion. Until he steps forward and takes responsibility for this whole mess the Redskins will always be a so-so team. Always remember that "Attitude reflects leadership. When we have solid leadership at the top it will trickle down to the troops below.

Dan must first fire his boy "Vinny" and then hire himself a competent GM and step aside. Let that person hire a coach with at least "Pee Wee" football experience as far as calling the plays. Next they reall must clean house of all the bad attitude players and get some young, hungry football player who want to win.

If he does that then and only then will things begin to turn around.

Posted by: mikemikemd1 | October 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse