Campbell Gives Rinehart High Marks

I have to admit I've been skeptical regarding all the happy talk about second-year guard Chad Rinehart.

Line coach Joe Bugel generally raves about the Redskins' linemen (with the exception of rookie tackle Scott Burley), so I take that for what it's worth. Vinny Cerrato also has pumped up Rinehart in our conversations, but Cerrato drafted Rinehart.

Players give you the real scoop on a guy, and I figured we would know a lot more about Rinehart after tonight's game against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium. The Redskins were shut out, 23-0, but Rinehart apparently had a good night.

I don't have the benefit of tape to review at the moment, but he seemed to hold his own against the Ravens on the two possessions on which the first-team offense played. And he definitely made a favorable impression on the Redskins' starting quarterback.

"Rinehart ... he really showed me something out there tonight," Jason Campbell said. "The line gave me time to throw, I had some good protection out there, and he was part of that. He got a really good push on his guy and held his own."

"Hagans wasn't even in my progression, but I had time to look all the way over to the other side of the field," Campbell said. "Rinehart was right on his guy the whole way. You usually don't have that type of time."

This was only the first preseason game and the Ravens were without star pass rusher Terrell Suggs, whose presence would have turned up the pressure on the Redskins' offensive line. Still, though, Rinehart in one preseason game contributed more than he did in the entire 2008 preseason and regular season.

"I think Chad Rinehart can play," Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels said. "He was in there fighting with us and giving us his all. That's all you can ask for."

Rinehart struggled later in the game when he was moved to tackle because of injuries to others. I'm going to suggest to Zack Bolno that the Redskins should drop the "tackle-guard" designation in front of Rinehart's name in next season's media guide. The young fellow clearly is not a tackle. An AFC scout told me Rinehart just doesn't have the footwork or athleticism to play the position, and the Redskins know that.

But with Thomas expected to sit out at least some games because of his physical condition, Rinehart figures to get many opportunities at guard. "You like to have an experienced guy like Randy out there because he's been through it all," Campbell said. "But with Rinehart, he's a young guy who's showing us something. As long as he keeps it up, you start to have that confidence in him that he can be there to help."

...

Second-year pass catchers Fred Davis, Maldolm Kelly and Devin Thomas grade themselves, via Dan Steinberg at D.C. Sports Bog.

By Jason Reid  |  August 14, 2009; 12:20 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith Makes Most of 'Punt-Fest'
Next: O-Line Passes One Big Test

Comments

Whoop dee doo...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

...by which I mean I'm less than enthused by the ongoing saga of our undermanned O line...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Hunter Smith is in for a real change. I mean, punter is not a critical job when your QB is Peyton Manning and he's throwing to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison.

But in the NFC East, where ALL the defenses are seriously nasty ... a punter can play a major role. I'm just hoping its not 9 punts a game 'major'.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Any other players get high marks? Loved Jarmin's block on the pass. Henson played well at the red zone.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 14, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

I hope Rinehart can spell R Thomas this year, since there is no chance R Thomas is going 16 games. I'm hoping for 6-8 games from R Thomas, and this is his last year (his body is breaking down too much). Our young guys gotta step up for us to have a chance.

Posted by: DrJ88 | August 14, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Campbell should not be grading ANYONE at this time!!! He'll be benched by week 6. He is slow to read the defense, and even slower to react. Add this with his timid and shy personality and you have a bad QB.

Posted by: arielm1 | August 14, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

The good:

-Orakpo: Downright unblockable against the second team. In the first team situation, fared well in coverage.

-Kelly: Showed why he's the most unique option the Skins have. Great hands, wingspan, and body positioning coming over the middle. Nobody makes that catch with any sort of regularity.

-Thomas: Looked more comfortable and assertive out there, and made some nice plays.

-Davis: Fumbles are correctable. The reports that suggest he's very difficult to cover reflected themselves tonight.

-First-team pass-protection: Surprising, to say the least. Cooley got owned on a blitz pickup, but other than that, they held up surprisingly well. Terrible run-blocking, though.

- Jeremy Jarmon: Looks as if he could contribute much earlier than expected. Pleasant surprise.

The bad:

- Tryon was abused by the Ravens first team.

- Barnes seems way behind. He was also abused on a couple of occasions.

- London Fletcher. I've never seen him get beat as badly as Ray Rice did. Not only did he look slow on that play, but he completely over-committed and was turn completely around on the route. That was ugly. I hope his age isn't catching up with him.

- Offensive rhythm in general: there was none. Still looked stagnant and rigid.

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

So I watched the 1st quarter and listened to the 2nd quarter in the car on the way to see GI Joe...missed the 3rd and 4th quarters.

My thoughts:

-"starting" O-line actually looked decent...that's right, I just said (err, wrote) that

-Funny/Senile Sam Huff Exchange #1
*Larry Michaels: "Tackle by Haruki Nakamura."
*Sam Huff: "I bet he's Hawaiian!"
*Larry Michaels: "Actually, he's Japanese."
*Sam Huff: "Really?!?!"

-Marques Hagans, coach wants to see you in his office. Oh, and bring your playbook with you please...

-Looks like JC is still trying to grow a pair...frickin' preseason and he's throwing dinkers and crossing routes, can't imagine how tight he's gonna be when it really counts.

-We have a pretty glaring weak spot when our LBs need to cover guys in passing routes.

-Funny/Senile Sam Huff Exchange #2:
*Larry Michaels: "That Brian Orakpo sure looks like a player..."
*Sam H: "Well, he's a number 1 draft pick. They got him from Oklahoma, right?"
*Larry Michaels: "Texas. He's from the University of Texas."
*Sam H: "Oh, well. It's the same thing down there."

-Didn't know we signed Jerome Bettis. I guess we can work him into the rotation.

-Like I said days ago:
*Tryon = Smoot 2.0 = Give the WR at least 15 yards of cushion
*Barnes = Rogers 2.0 = "Double Move"

-D.Hall with good coverage on the goal-line to deny a TD on 3rd down. $50 million well spent.

In conclusion, I'm wondering if I'm the only one envisioning Vick in an Eagle's Wildcat formation decimating the Redskins. Mark my words, we will regret not signing him...

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Sure, p1funk, but how was the movie?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

I may be the only one with this opinion, but I feel GOOD about the opening game. Why?

First of all, no one critical to the team got hurt in a way that might impact the regular season.

Second, we weren't even close to putting our starting team on the field. No Portis. No Moss. Weapons #1 and #2. Campbell was throwing to a soon to be UPS worker named Marques Hagans. On defense, was Albert out there? Or Carlos? Me thinks those guys are a lot better than the guys who did play.

Third, some of the guys that will be needed or helpful showed progress/results. From what I heard/read, this group included Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chad Rinehart, Jeremy Jarmon and even Mike Williams. And can anyone say "Orakpo" ... well, Sam Huff can't, but that's besides the point. The guys in this group have a shot at being somewhere between useful and important. Seems to me that they all are on a good track.

Fourth, do I really care if Dorsey or Aldrige or Tryon or Colt or Barnes struggled? In the big picture ... no. It'd be good if they were good, but I count on them in the way I'd count on Leigh Torrence. Fred Davis? He's a backup to a Pro Bowl player. Also not critical.

Fifth, the first team guys were rusty. So what. Its fine to be rusty now. I don't need London Fletcher to peak in August.

Bottom line ... I'm good

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 14, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, count me bitter and not so sugar coated. No team enters a game with the hope of being shutout. I understand in preseason the coach is looking at personnel and how they do in specific packages, but, guys, nothing worked. The team could not sustain drives. There was a general lack of focus by the players and I think you have to blame Zorn's lackadaisical approach to training camp. You play how you practice... enough said.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 14, 2009 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Face it: Vinny wasted at least two high round picks on worthless receivers and a DB (Tryron: though he was a 4th as I recall) that shouldn't make the team. How would you like to have two second round tackles/guards with a year under their belt and fitting into the system right now???

Posted by: bioesq | August 14, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

PS. How did we miss Eddie Royal, a VT wonder and playing like a stud for the Broncos??? Vinny?????

Posted by: bioesq | August 14, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bioesq | August 14, 2009 3:19 AM | Report abuse

I have been drumming this beat too long.

Can we put the 'It's the OLine's fault' to rest now. I told ya don't worry about RT and don't worry about Rhinehart.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

I missed the game but just went over the box score...hopefully the few delusional souls who thought that Colt was the answer as the Skins starting QB have been jolted back into reality after that crap sandwich he doled out last night. What a stinker...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

BW - JC17 didn't prove anything either....

Same as last year, but with more time because of better PassPro..

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 5:56 AM | Report abuse

BW - JC17 didn't prove anything either....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 5:56 AM

And you can't when you throw only 6 passes. Nobody's out to evaluate JC in the preseason, he's there for the reps. Colt is in competition to be the #2 QB and he needs to look good in the preseason.

Besides, we pretty much know what we're getting with JC.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

BW - You didn't see the game, remember?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

I know, I know...but like I said, you know what you're getting with JC. Colt NEEDS to distinguish himself in these games and he stunk out the joint.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 6:20 AM | Report abuse

I think everybody is freaking out for no reason. The first-team offense only played two drives! I don't think it really matters much that second and third stringers got handled.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 14, 2009 6:21 AM | Report abuse

I watched the game and I agree with both 4th and BW:

Colt did not play up to #2 standards and wont beat out Collins.

JC is still playing scared and wont let it fly.

Flacco is a second year guy and looked like a far better QB then JC, he gets the ball out quicker and has more confidence.

Overall the O-Line was the one bright spot last night. I think Chad would be fine starting RG if need be.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 14, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Too bad no one is giving Campbell high marks.

Campbell didn't look any better. TC (Granted against inferior competition) looked better for a bit.

Kelly and Thomas showed promise.

Posted by: Gweez | August 14, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

...this is what happens when you have "the worst evaluator of talent in the entire league" as you GM. Wake up Danny, Vinnie is a joke. How can you be the only one who does not know this? For those who did not see the game, it was much more lopsided then the score shows. If the Ravens hadnt continuously kept getting a ton of penalities, they would have had double the time of possession and the score would have been much worse. With the exception of Orakpo, Hall and maybe two or three more, the Skins' personell were clearly inferior across the board.
With Vinnie at the helm only a team that finds a way to consistently play way above its head will have a chance of winning.
Its funny, because this team stinks and its not even the players or the coaches fault.

Posted by: oddjob2 | August 14, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

One thing I picked up on was JC was making his reads much better. Seems to be moving quicker.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo is a monster. That tackle held him on every play he rushed the passer and he still got consistent pressure.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

Have you setup the FF league yet, if so can you pass on the info.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 14, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

From RI: "Campbell Gives Rinehart High Marks"

Who ever thought like at the start of training camp we'd be seeing those words?

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

How much can you really tell from a game like this?

Heres what I got.

Cutz 80, 20 (sorry tryon)

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

-Funny/Senile Sam Huff Exchange #1
...

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 1:59 AM |

Sam Huff = Senile

or

Sam Huff = Don't give a shti

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Not like Sam Huff can be fired. love to see what Larry Michael and Dan Snyder look like after that conversation.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

Have you setup the FF league yet, if so can you pass on the info.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 14, 2009 6:44 AM |

Dude. Nato reallly wants you in his FF league. He told me it wouldn't be the same w/o good ol Flound. See deets below:

FANTASY F'ING FOOTBALL

Hey, folks, I set up a fantasy league for us Redskins Insider types, and by that I mean everybody and anybody is welcome to play.

It's free, it's fun, it's on espn, it's inherently stupid, and no money is at stake, just bragging rights.

Drop me a line -- come on now, you know you want to play -- at nateinthepdx at gmail to let me know you're interested.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 12, 2009 4:12 PM |

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

These posts read like RI Nation is collectively dialing 9-1-1.

Let's wait until the 3rd game against the Pats as that's when Zorn/Blache will game plan for a team that's gaming up for a Super Bowl run.

If we look the same in that game as the team did last night, we'll know that dialing 9-1-1 won't be a joke.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see last night's game, so I can't comment. I can comment on the hysteria that was RI last night, and the moonbats up here have already worked themselves into mid-season form. We've got some Pro Bowl caliber nutsies. "Carlos Rogers, you suck" to a guy who's not even on the field?

This is Washington, and there's plenty of blame to go around, but I'm trying to figure out who's most to blame for last night:

1. Dan Snyder
2. Vinnie Cerrato
3. Jim Zorn
4. Jason Campbell
5. Colt Brennan
7. Justin Tryon
8. Fred Davis
9. Jason LaCanfora
10. ChRIs larRy

Most seem to point to Vinnie Cerrato, but I continue to blame cHriS lArrY.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Im stuck on the Jersey Shore and couldnt find the game on the internet so I was stuck in 1920 listening to it on the radio. I thought we were going to be in more trouble than the way Sam, Sonny and Larry made it sound, the fact our first team couldnt even get the kicking competition heated is a little room for concern but it was still the first time these guys have played a game since last December. We can go 0-4 in the preseason and I'll be happy, as long as that 4th game is competitive and our first team leaves the game with us in the lead.

Sam and Sonny were overly critical of the second team O especially the OL. From the sound of things it wasnt completely Colt. They made it sound like he was running for his life and the fact he led the game in rushing yards he apparently was. For the people saying they hope London's age hasnt caught up with him stop! You dont go from a Pro Bowl type year to complete garbage the next, unless there is a mojor injury there is usually a slight decline in play and if London is declining he is still better than 25 other startnig MLB's in the game.

Posted by: murphyz | August 14, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

bee bee
p p

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I guess the coaches will have an easy job cutting guys. Not many of the unknown guys made any plays to stand out. I really couldn’t believe all the dropped passes, interceptions, and missed tackles. It just seemed like our guys played with no effort and the Ravens played with a lot of passion, even if it’s just preseason. Don't these long shot guys want to stick?! They didn’t seem ready to play at all.

Good things- Kelly had the (only) highlight of the night, a 3rd and 5 catch from Collins. Orakpo was close to the QB everytime, and DHall looked good... which is really good cuz Tryon got beat at least 3 times and Barnes looked lost.

BTW, isn't it just a LITTLE worrisome that we could not even score 3 points in a PRESEASON game??

Posted by: rachel216 | August 14, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Funny, when I link to the next RI thread, "O-Line Passes One Big Test", there isn't any comments section. Do you think that was intentional?

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I just found out Eli Mannings real name is Elisha. Lol sorry that made me happy. I had to share.

Posted by: Gweez | August 14, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Smoot stays in Washington. I think it's safe to assume that Justin Tryouts will not be making the trip to the Meadowlands for the opener.

The kool-aid is bittersweet on this game. Rak looks great...at defensive end. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of playing him there every down. JC17...well he didn't turn the ball over or take a sack. Mike Williams didn't look like an overmatched freakshow. Oh, and keep in mind that 2 of our "Big Three" (Portis, Moss, Cooley) were held out of the game on O, and our Big One (Haynesworth) was held out on D.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 14, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I REALLY want Jason Campbell to succeed, but my gut (and not just based on last night) tells me this guys may not be the answer. It seems to me that the stars must be aligned for him to make plays. Sure protection is critical and he does well when he has a ton of time, but protections on all teams breakdown at some points...he's gotta make plays.

Again, my gut tells me that JC may not be the answer for this team.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 14, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Nothing to get too excited about, and nothing to get too low about. Glad to hear about the triplets contributing save for those fumbles, and Rhino, hoping this was just a bump in the road for Tryon. Good no injuries, and good that Vick is an Eagle.....thats all I got....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | August 14, 2009 8:02 AM

A guy named "Gweez" laughing at Elisha?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

New post but for whatever reason the thread is inactive.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Rick, I think I'm feeling the same thing, I'm not saying that Campbell can't be the guy, but I look at Flacco, and you see that he's got 'it', its his second year in that offense, and it seems to be clicking, this is JC's second year in this offense, and we're still seeing dump-offs, nothing DOWN the field. I'm reserving more judgement until about week 8 of the regular season....something doesn't seem right however.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

New post but for whatever reason the thread is inactive.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 8:11 AM

Maybe it's packing to go on vacation?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Rickyrogue, Beatdowngreg,

You guys aren't saying that Dan Snyder knew what he was doing this winter when he went through his progression and tried to dump off Campbell?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Basically JC will never get better, he's an average QB at best. Nothing spectacular, just solid. He will never be a play-making quarterback. Even dumb Flacco looked more poised than JC. Rickyroge, I have to agree, I don't think JC is the answer.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 14, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and keep in mind that 2 of our "Big Three" (Portis, Moss, Cooley) were held out of the game on O, ...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 14, 2009 8:05 AM |

Smart of Z to hold out P and M wasn't it? No wear and tear on their weary bones, lowers expectations about the O and gives the OL at least another week to work on their game.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Rickyrogue, Beatdowngreg,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 8:20 AM |

Some of us are slower than others to "get it". A lot slower, like 8 months slower.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I look at Flacco and see a guy who's sure of what's he's doing, confident, and knows exactly where to go with the ball and gets it out quickly... and Jason is still pump faking 20 times and getting happy feet before overthrowing a wide open Hagans near the side line.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 14, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

te, no, not by a long shot, what I'm saying is that I'm not seeing what I think I should be seeing with JC. I think there should be more progress with this cat, I'm not making any kind of judgements, at this point......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Taking any positives away from the game is looking at it through rose colored glasses.

The Oline looked good because the Ravens held Suggs out and did not blitz with the exception of a few plays. There was no running room.

While Orakpo looked good I would temper my enthusiasm. He was going against the Ravens 3rd string LT. That guy could not block anyone all night. The Ravens rookie destroyed Renaldo Wynn. I can't remember the last time I saw an NFL player get pancaked like that and certainly not by a rookie. The game was 23-0 and it was not even that close. The difference in the quality of players on the 2nd unit of both teams was astounding. The Ravens 2nd unit defense looked outstanding.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 14, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge,

"I REALLY want Jason Campbell to succeed, but my gut (and not just based on last night) tells me this guys may not be the answer. It seems to me that the stars must be aligned for him to make plays..."

Jason Campbell will never get the tools to succeed here. The only QB that could help this team win is a guy who can win a game basically on his own. Which leaves you Big Ben and MAYBE Michael Vick.

"I am in no way saying that Todd Collins is the answer, but he looks more relaxed and in command of himself. Troy Smith had little protection last night and he moved around and made plays."

Please never compare these two QBs again...one is a system QB with the mobility of a sloth and the other is an athletic QB who may actually have a future in this league. Collins looked relaxed because he knows he's not starting and he's got nothing to prove.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

rachel kind of summed it up nicely there.....too much hesitation STILL.....way to early, but something seems squirrly..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 14, 2009 8:30 AM |

Like Albert said, it is all relative. It's not like we take away positives so much as we are seeing our perceived negatives trending to 0.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"The only QB that could help this team win is a guy who can win a game basically on his own. Which leaves you Big Ben and MAYBE Michael Vick"

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees..you know what, never mind....some people you just can't reach....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Ozzie 23, Vinny 0.

Soupy still struggles to read defenses and throw the ball on time unlike Collins.

Posted by: Realness1 | August 14, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Ozzie 23, Vinny 0.

Posted by: Realness1 | August 14, 2009 8:41 AM |

Realness. Dude. It isn't realness. It's a preseason game, is all.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 14, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Talent...I actually thought the FO was onto something when they tried to dump Campbell. Don't get me wrong, you need to see the whole movie. This team's woes are not all on JC, but I just don't get the feeling this guy is the one.

Brownwood...System QB or not, TC seems to play instinctively. JC may have all the tools, but he lacks that intangible "IT" factor.

We can rationalize all we want...O-line, WR's, Dan Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, draft picks, this team has a dysfuntional offense that does not look like any other in the league. Zorn can "teach" Campbell all he wants, but you can't teach moxie, and JC has yet to show it.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 14, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:37 AM

You're right...if you think those guys can all win games by themselves, you're nuts. Peyton Manning is a great player, but he has been blessed with outstanding receivers and the same offense since Day 1, as has Philip Rivers. Tom Brady and Drew Brees I'll grant you.

Bottom line is that JC isn't one of those guys. But you don't HAVE to have one of those guys if you put a good team around him. I think in a smashmouth offense (and, you know, the SAME offense for more than a year) JC could be really good. He's just not going to get that in Washington.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Even when Campbell has all day he can't make a good throw. It's pathetic.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | August 14, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Weren't the Redskins leading the league in rushing through 8 games last year?? And isn't this JC's 2nd year in the offense?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Bean - don't you think the fact that he is jumpy has something to do with the fact he's been getting drilled into the ground for 3 years? Admittedly, QBs in the NFL have to have a short memory, but jeez, the guy is a tackling dummy out there.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 8:53 AM

I'm pretty sure Atlanta did, but then again I don't specialize in stats after 8 weeks. And since 2009 is exactly one preseason game old, Campbell HAS only played one season in this offense.

And if the law of averages plays out, it's also his last season in this offense.

Point is, Campbell is a guy who would do best in a stable organization that gives him the tools and the time to flourish. Washington ain't that place.

And besides that, I don't see where the Redskins think they're gonna upgrade. They don't have anyone currently on the roster who's better and they likely won't see anything in free agency that will be a marked improvement.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

ryp, big ben, now thats a tackling dummy, JC, not so much.

brown, this is what his 5th year in the league....stop blaming it on the FO, and start seeing that maybe JC has some holes in his game. Compare the two qb's last night, compare what they have to work with, both being in the 2nd year of their offense, I'd say that JC has a better RB, better TE, and better WR, but somehow Flacco is grasping/executing it at a higher level. Is that Snyders fault?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo is legit, we all know this. But I still think we will be best served longterm if he's an every down DE. That of course assumes we find a serviceable SLB

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, to be fair, JC's "better RB and WR" (assuming you mean Portis/Moss) didn't play last night, nor did Randy THomas.

JC will be fine if given reasonable protection. How quickly we forget the 6-2 first half and "Campbell for MVP" talk last year...we as fans are usually too quick to praise AND criticize.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 14, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, and they only called holding on him once. I even saw them hold Carter without calling it. I sure hope refs compete for jobs in the preseason as well. Despite the many penelties they called on Baltimore they still missed alot of holding calls.

P.S. On third down Orakapo is going to be a force on the outside. With Big Al in the middle. Oh man, this D is going to crush people.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 14, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

lmg, I was talking overall, I think JC has better weapons, than Flacco.

I'm not jumping ship on JC, all I'm saying is that I think there should be a noticeable jump in his game this year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is simply "Pick-shook".

Gibbs and his overly conservative ways probably made him that way.

People want to blame the receivers, the line, Dan & Vinny... your mama, but shouldn't Gibbs maybe take a quarter of the blame?

The Line
Dan & Vinny (Different offenses to learn every other season)
The Receivers
Gibbs

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"big ben, now thats a tackling dummy"

That's the funniest sh** I've read all morning, Roethlisberger is at his best when on the run. DEFENSIVE LINEMEN have trouble bringing him down.

"How quickly we forget the 6-2 first half and "Campbell for MVP" talk last year"

Funny, I recall a certain RB that wears 26 was the main reason why they started off so well. And as for the "Campbell for MVP" talk, I think you "misremember".

That was Portis, cause you know, he was leading the league in rushing and all. Campbell didn't have the numbers to be in the MVP talk. All he did was throw no INTs through the first half -- in large part due to what Portis was doing on the ground.

But I think you're one of the Portis detractors anyway, so it doesn't surprise me that you'll make a statement like this.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Boy, the Skins can't do ANYTHING right...from PFT:

"Bettis" returns to the NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2009 7:51 AM ET
Lost in the shuffle created by the return of Mike Vick to an NFL team is that another recognizable name that hasn't appeared in pro football for a few years is back, in the very same division where Vick will play.

Sort of.

According to Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post, the jersey of Redskins running back Ladell Betts contained an extra letter during Thursday night's preseason game against the Ravens.

Instead of Betts, the 'Skins had "Bettis."

"I didn't know," Betts said after the game, per Steinberg. "I don't think anybody noticed it until about midway through the first quarter. I had no idea. Somebody came up to me with a jersey and said, 'We need to change your jersey,' and I was like, 'What's wrong?' I thought maybe my jersey was ripped. . . . Actually, I do like Jerome Bettis, but I don't prefer to have his name on my back."

We could give the Redskins' equipment crew the benefit of the doubt on this one if " Bettis" were an undrafted rookie slapdick, destined to be included in the first wave of roster cuts.

But "Bettis" has been a member of the Redskins for SEVEN YEARS.

Then again, we don't rule out foul play, with someone like Chris Cooley responsible for the prank.

If so, well played.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Flounder, what TTTH said -- drop me a line at nateinthepdx at gmail and I'll set you up with the fantasy F-ball.

If I get a bunch more people interested -- and again, anybody and everybody up here is welcome to join! -- I'd be happy to set up a second (but in no way inferior) RI league. Just let me know... draft time approaches.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

People are seriously critiquing Jason Campbell and comparing him to Joe Flacco based on 6 passes in the first preseason game.

Wow. I'm in awe right now.

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Red,

I misremember it about the same way. Portis and Campbell for MVP, Pro Bowel, etc. through 8 games.

BUT, it was RI talk, just like the RI talk that would flush both of them down the toilet like this morning's terds. And some of the talk was by the same people talking out of both sides of their mouth, though not in the same post.

They could maintain consistency for at least a paragraph. (Assuming that's a good thing).

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Re: the following thread, I've got this existential question about whether Type can truly be Lost if it can't even be entered in the first place...

I too am eager to hear Mr. Zorn explain that -- and yeah, yeah, I get that it was a meaningless exhibition game -- his offense was shut out. I don't like that one little bit. Hard to swagger when you're looking up at a goose egg on the scoreboard. Or something like that.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

red, my point was that ben has been sacked probably more than any qb in the league the last few years....

psp, all I'm saying is that jc seems to be doing the same things, I've stated I'm reserving judgement, but that there should be some steps being taken this year....big steps.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I was in the second (but no way inferior league) last year. And the only thing that was inferior about it was my running back corps.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Mr.Tryons statement in the WaPo:
"I can tell right when the play is over whether I played it right or wrong," Tryon said. "There were a couple times tonight that I was wrong, couple times I should've been lined up on the inside. So now you know for next time."

WTF!!Did he really say that shti!Thats like saying I can tell right away if I'm a millionaire right after the powerball number comes out.If this guy is still on the team after today,he is officially Jimoh 2.0.Maybe he has pictures of Snyder with hot chick and threatened to send them to his wife.I cant think of any other reason he is still on this squad.

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 14, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 9:15 AM

Get Flacco out of the conversation. He's got nothing to do with the Redskins. And besides that, he and Ryan are the exception and not the rule.

You're getting on JC because he doesn't have "it". Fine. Most QBs don't. But you don't have to have "it" to win in this league if you've got a good team around him. Brad Johnson sure didn't have "it" and he was the last Redskins QB to make a Pro Bowl and he won a title with Tampa. So a QB with "it" is nice, but it's not required.

And I never said JC doesn't have holes. He does hold the ball too long, which doesn't help an already struggling O-line. But I just resent the notion that the offense in general is inept because of Campbell and not the other 10 guys who are out there screwing up.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I want what your smokin man. Nobody loves CP more than me. I proudly wear his jersey every Sunday. But if you don't thikn that CP AND JC's success is largely contingent upon the O-line, you don't really understand football. Campbell was sacked 38 times last year and I'm quite certain 2/3 of those were in the final 8 games. It's not a coincidence that when 26 "broke down" and JC "crapped the bed" it was when the line play dropped off.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Nay beeps...

Well t_e, sorry I don't remember anyone lobbying Campbell for MVP. He didn't have the stats to back that up.

If you want to look at just the first half of the season, here's a few QBs I would've gave the MVP to over him:

Brees
Rivers
Ryan
Manning (Both)
McNabb
Cutler

I could go on, but I think that makes the point.

Like someone said a few post up: You know what you have in Campbell. If this is so, why do people keep wanting to promote patience and make excuses for this dude.

It's like some people say sh** just 'cause it sounds good. But deep down feel the total opposite way.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 14, 2009 9:45 AM

He gets this from RI. We can tell as soon as we see a player in action whether Vinnie has made the right draft picks or not.

As for why he's on the team, go back and read what his mentor, Darrell Green said about him the other day. Of course, DG may be saying something different about him today.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 14, 2009 9:45 AM

Or send them to Vinny

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

brown, kind of hard to say that Brad Johnson didn't have "it" when he threw for 4,000 yards. It's not like that's average.

LMG, I'm not sharing... but when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. My bad. There are so many 26 haters up here, it's easy to get mixed up. No doubt about how the line play is key6 for both Campbell and Portis. I posted a theory, although obvious, on this blog the other day.

bean, one name for you: David Carr. But Roelisthberger is probably two or three on that list for sure.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Or send them to Vinny

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 14, 2009 9:52 AM

GreatOne,thats a great one.

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 14, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

DMV you need to take a valium bro. I was making a point that people are way too fast to heap praise just as they are too quick to throw a guy under the bus. I know enough to know that I don't know enough to write JC off nor say he deserves a 5 year extension at this point. As Beantown said, he SHOULD, if he's our guy, show improvement in year 2 of the WCO...but that greatly depends on the O-line not breaking down like a '76 Pinto. Not sure what about that gives you heartburn.

HAIL

p.s. if you ever call me a Portis detractor again I shall be forced to challenge you to a duel, slanerous swine

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 14, 2009 2:48 AM |

All you need for proof positive on this is the comment by Edwin Williams re: Md. undrafted players doing well..."practice at md. was much harder than what we've done here". I'm paraphrasing, but that was the basic message. THIS NO GOOD. VERY BAD.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 14, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The difference between Flacco and Campbell?

Flacco has Cam Cameron.

JC has JZ.

Cam adapts much much much easier and tailors his offenses to the strengths of the atheletes he has.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

fair enough DMV. funny thing is we're on the same page.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

4th, you might have nailed it there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Well, I didn’t get to watch the game last night, it was blacked out on both Comcast and MASN. If next weeks game is blacked out on NFLN I will go nutso! Last year the Skins/jets preseason game (I mean skins/Brett Favre game) was shown live on NFLN and it was blacked out up here…….listened to the first half on the espn980 online feed which came in nicely. Sounds like Orakpo, MKelly, Rhinehart and Dthomas are looking better. That’s about it for the good news I suppose. But it was just the first game, no biggie.

I did watch the highlights on Sportsrise. I love when they interview, you know, Malcolm Kelly and Devin, you know, Thomas. Those guys, you know, always have you know positive things to you know say. But I am you know happy with how they you know played.

I’ll say it again, last preseason was a complete stinker, and they then went 6-2……don’t hit the panic button yet.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 14, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Brees
Rivers
Ryan
Manning (Both)
McNabb
Cutler

I could go on, but I think that makes the point.

---------

What? Midway MVP? Half those teams were .500 or below, one of them played so bad he got benched, one publicly criticized his own play after coming directly off of surgery to start the season, and another was a rookie who struggled out of the gate but got hotter as the season wore on. Only Eli entered that discussion, and Campbell's stats pretty clearly outshined Eli's in the first half.

Seriously, you just dropped names without thinking on that one. That's like me saying Clinton Portis wasn't a midway MVP candidate because these guys were:

-Adrian Peterson
-Brian Westbrook
-Ladainian Tomlinson
-Deangelo Williams
-Chris Johnson

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It is interesting to read all the comments and none of them address the coaching. I was unable to see the first half, but can see the overall stat's from the game. You have to start wondering is it the play calling or execution or both. Either way a big part of both relate to the staff. it does not matter if it was the first preseason game, you still need to be competitive. Here are some glaring stat's

3rd-Down efficiency 1-11-9%
Total net yards 196
Average yards per pass 4.4
Time of Possession 24:16

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | August 14, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else glad Brownie isn't the Skins QB coach? Sorry my man but your QB analysis is wack. "It"...c'mon man. Peyton has to have the "right people"....

Everyone take a breath...its not hard...Campbell has a season to show if he is a starter (ie an effective leader, low mistake ratio, ability to focus when its the most confusing and the physical tools to execute the plays) or if he is Tony Banks. So far in his career he has given ample evidence that he could be either.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Tryon is garbage!

Posted by: Skins281 | August 14, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

4th, I know we love to spar in a friendly over beer at the sports bar way, but I am in almost %100 agreement with this:

he difference between Flacco and Campbell?

Flacco has Cam Cameron.

JC has JZ.

I HOPE I am wrong b/c I want fun winning seasons and he is our current coach....but I am not a Zorn fan and don't think he is a good HC. There I said it.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is the latest RI post (O-Line Passes One Big Test) not loading?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Happy that Vick got signed by a team but not happy that we will have to see him twice a year. Damn!

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

They need to keep Chad at guard. From all accounts the kid did well last night.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Tryon did look lost out there a lot, no doubt. But I can't give up on him yet. Darrell Green said he believes he will be a starter in this league, I have to put some stock in that (but yes he looked pretty bad last night)

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"On a third-down play on the Redskins' first possession, Campbell had an inordinate amount of time to survey the field and throw to wide receiver Marques Hagans, who mistimed his jump along the far sideline and failed to come up with the ball. The line provided Campbell with exceptional protection on the play, and Rinehart kept pace with the group.

By: JReid
"

The way I saw it, it was a high pass. Hagans jump was timed very well....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

There's a new post, but no place to post comments. Someone get the Mayor on this!

Posted by: Predator48 | August 14, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with you CL

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

psps, what game did McNabb get benched? Don't remember Ryan struggling out the gate, he was pretty consistent the entire season.

debating, or a back and forth with you would get no where. You're biased when it comes to Campbell because that's your boy and you ALWAYS refuse to see otherwise. Unlike you, I see BOTH the good and bad with Campbell. JC could have a game where goes 11-27, 150 0 TDs and 3 INTs, and you'll still pour syrup on that sh** and call it french toast.

sort of like saying that Reggie Bush has to date more of an impact than Mario Williams. when it comes to these things you're the most stubborn person up here, mines as well start chanting "la-la-la-la" and holding your hands over your ears when it comes to things like this.

you see it one way, I see it both.

and in the first half of the season, portis led the league in rushing, i think even over Adrian Peterson, so take that "fake" RB rationalization elsewhere.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

jm, agreed on CRhino, time to phase the kid in, and phase RThomas out. I'm a big fan of Randy, but lets see what CR can do....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Did Carlos play last night??

I don't think Tryon did terrible. He had some good tackles. And he will still be the 4th CB ahead of Barnes.....

I believe what he said. He needs this game experince so he can learn from his mistakes. Like Mike Vick...

He'll know next time to get a better jam on 3rd and short....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Flacco has Cam Cameron.

JC has JZ.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:13 AM

Amen, CL. If Flacco is playing for Billick right now he's probably already called a bust...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

you'll still pour syrup on that sh** and call it french toast.
_______________

can I use that in a screenplay?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Red I am a big JC fan but agree with you that you also have to see the bad. I am not giving up on him and still think he will have a good year.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I still say LBWestbrook should be our dime back. He plays better each year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 14, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

LBW>Tyron

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The way I saw it, it was a high pass. Hagans jump was timed very well....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:17 AM

There was also an easy first down pass to the right, but soupy didn't bother to look. Guys were open all night. Don't think it's the coaching....

Posted by: Realness1 | August 14, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Did Carlos play last night??

He'll know next time to get a better jam on 3rd and short....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

1) Nope, was on the sidelines in street clothes
2)"He had some nice tackles" generally ain't a rousing endorsement of a CB's play...yea, he tackled great...after getting torched 4-5 times.
3)I have seen real evidence yet that Vick has not only learned from his mistakes but that he is genuinely contrite. Maybe he is but I'm guessing he's more sorry he got cuaght and it cost him tens of millions of dollars. Big difference. (almost) everyone deserves a second chance but doesn't mean I have to give it to them. I for one am glad the Skins didn't sign that pieve of trash.
4)Shouldn't a 2nd yr corner already know to jam on 3rd and short, esp. when his guy has been owning him on the quick slant?

HAIL/TGIF bud

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

and just fyi, psps, I'm not in the crowd that thinks that Campbell will never find success with this team. I'm just not buying what the dude is selling, while you've fully invested into what he's shoveling.

In no way was a Campbell an MVP, maybe with this team. but not the entire league. Why? Becasue he threw no picks, while the offense was heavily reliant on running the ball?

I know Campbell is your baby's daddy and all, but take off the JC17 shades for a week or two.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"JZ tells everyone this is his system and it's gonna get run his way or the highway...."

There is applause in the room, trust me.

But I'm willing to with hold judgement about the offense until the Pats preseason game.

Remember: we have told that the advantage this your is that everyone is in the second year of the same system.

So it follows now that if Zorn game plans for what should be a strong Pats team, the effort should result in some kind of offensive efficiency.

We know the redskins' defense will show up.

Will the offense?

That's the question to be answered.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

3) I HAVEN'T seen..I meant to say

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Sure, p1funk, but how was the movie?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 14, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

GI Joe was a heck of alot better than Transformers 2 (I can't think of a movie that Spielberg should feel more ashamed to have his name attached to than that one).

Snake Eyes was a beast, and in my book that's always the most important thing.

Pretty sure Brendan Fraser has a cameo as Flint, but they need to flesh it out since Flint is my 2nd favorite character.

Marlon Wayans as Ripcord is mostly for comic relief.

Not digging Channing Tatum as Duke.

So far no Cobra twins (Tomax, Xamot) but I hope to see them in the 2nd one.

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

jm, I agree. This is a make or break year for Campbell. I'm not, and won't give up on him. I want him to have success, and lead this team back to the top where it hasn't been since forever.

All I'm saying about Campbell is: "Gimmie Some More"

But, from what I saw last night on offense, even though it was the first preseason game, it just appeared to be more of the same.

More of the same from Campbell can't be a good thing, I don't care who tries to spin it otherwise.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Notorious_LMG I haven't seen one post (I could be wrong and correct me if I am) from you with such fire about Staleworth. He killed a person!!! A person and not same damn dog!

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Personally i AM waaaaaaaaaaaay more siced for District 9 than GI Joe.

Originality in movies rule
toy tie-ins drool

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"what game did McNabb get benched?"

Baltimore Ravens. In the first half of the season, McNabb had 8 TDs, 3 INTs, and 4 games with a passer rating under 81.

"Don't remember Ryan struggling out the gate, he was pretty consistent the entire season."

Through the first 4 weeks of the season, Ryan had 669 yards, went 55 for 105, 52% completion, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs. Yea, he was certainly consistent all season long. Pure MVP numbers right there.

"JC could have a game where goes 11-27, 150 0 TDs and 3 INTs, and you'll still pour syrup on that sh** and call it french toast."

Interesting theory, but I pretty harshly criticized him after Pitt and Baltimore last season. But, unlike you and others, I tend to look at the ENTIRE picture following a game, and not a simple snapshot of what his numbers looked like. Unfortunately for you, I understand there are several factors that contribute to passing stats. Not just "it", as so many lovingly and ignorantly claim to see.

"debating, or a back and forth with you would get no where."

Hey, I can't help it if you get detracted by rational thought.

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 10:23 AM

I know this is the internet and all. And I will never meet 95% of you.

But....you're 'Amen'ing the wrong guy..

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Just want to point out there there is a new post up here, but it can't be commented on, if anyone at wapo.com is watching.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

stallworth/vick is apples and sliced spam JM, it is not analogous. And I am PRO vick redemption story line. But anti these sorta false comparrisons.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I hit submit before finishing my post.

"you see it one way, I see it both."

Really? See it this way. Go ahead and google the words "Jason", "Campbell", and "MVP", and see whether you "misremembered" that his name was under discussion at the midway point.

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Personally i AM waaaaaaaaaaaay more siced for District 9 than GI Joe.

Originality in movies rule
toy tie-ins drool

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:37 AM

Me too. I was just listening to a movie reviewer and he was drooling like you after watching it....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

well 4th he was amening, my amening of you...thats how memes work! (that one was for you dcseeny!)

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

CL to me it is worse. Everyone is taughtwhen you first learning how to drive not to drink and drive. To take someone life and only get 30 days and a year out of the league is total bs to me.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and I didn't think the offense line blocked effectively at all. There was no room to run, little down field blocking, and very poor pass protection. The Ravens defensive players applied constant pressure -- with almost no blitzes -- all night long.

I liked Flacco's quote: "I didn't have to do anything but sit in the pocket and make the throws" -- when is the last time a Redskins QB said that!!!

The offense was really ugly; although WR Kelly looked good catching a few 1st downs. I hope the Skins can stabilize the offensive line or it will be a very long season playing against the aggressive NFC East defenses...

In addition, I thought the punt returns and special team blocking was pretty unimpressive.

Posted by: siris | August 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought murder would keep him out ATLEAST 2 years out of the league.....

Cl - Whateves...lol....

P.S. I wonder how a dcseeny taste? Is thal like sorbert?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

psps, whatever homie. you're the main one that runs and cut and paste stats to back up your buls***. You do it EVERYTIME. So don't try that glue, sticks to, bounces crap with me, okay?

again, debating with you gets no one anywhere with you. You're like a f'n spoiled brat when it's time to get out of the moon bonce when it comes to this stuff.

so go ahead and keep punishing that sh** you're sweetening. newsflash a-hole: you're not the genius you and you're bloated ego pretends to be, so take your cut and paste stats, along with your "psps23's holier than thou rationlization" and shove it, got it?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 14, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

One thing I did notice is the Ravens offense completed several medium and long pass plays in 2-3 seconds. The Skins offense is not that fluid. Hard to say if the pass protection is the problem or the QB's decision making... it might be both.

Posted by: siris | August 14, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it , but if things don't change for the better we could have the worst offense in the league.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 14, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

JM, obviously in some universal moral spectrum killing a person is worse than dog. I am certainly not arguing that. But its more complex than that and its not a direct correlation. Intent vs negligence is one key difference.

But whateves, like I said I am pro-vick second chance. so not going to argue further.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Just for the record - though I guess I'm jumping into the fray; Stallworth did not commit murder by legal definition - manslaughter, yes, murder, she didn't wrote

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Put yourself in that situation JM220…..pretty sure you don’t drink, but say you did…..You have a few beers and you’re driving home and get into an accident that kills someone. You didn’t mean to, and it was, as they say, an accident. Do you need to be “rehabilitated”? If so for how long? And shouldn’t taking away your driver’s license prevent it from happening again? It really is apples/oranges with vick/stallworth. Vick killed “only” dogs, yes. But he meant to. He made a choice and did it many times over, in very sadistic manners. He didn’t just “humanely” kill one of the dogs with a shot to the head for instant death…no; in one instance he used his gun to merely wound the animal, and then threw it into a swimming pool to watch it drown. Then he lied about everything to everyone about it until his buddies turned on him. Very different to me……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 14, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Manslaughter - The unjustifiable, inexcusable, and intentional killing of a human being without deliberation, premeditation, and malice. The unlawful killing of a human being without any deliberation, which may be involuntary, in the commission of a lawful act without due caution and circumspection.

Manslaughter is a distinct crime and is not considered a lesser degree of murder. The essential distinction between the two offenses is that malice aforethought must be present for murder, whereas it must be absent for manslaughter. Manslaughter is not as serious a crime as murder. On the other hand, it is not a justifiable or excusable killing for which little or no punishment is imposed.

-----------------------------------------------

So, while not legally 'murder', it's still an 'unjustifiable, inexcusable, and intentional killing '.

So, since we aren't in court, you might as well say murder....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

JReid just had a 15 minute segment on 'Inside the Red Zone w/ Vinny Cerrato'....

JReid may become a credible insider....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

careful..."murder" is not exactly accurate word selection for Stallworth. It may have been vehicular homicide, but "murder" used in a sentence implies wanton/intentional action.

NOW, as for jm's point that "some damn dog" (which is despicable of you to say, by the way) vs. killing a human - surely any reasonable person agrees the life of an innocent man is more valuable than that of an innocent dog (I preface innocent because I'd take my dog over any bad person in a heartbeat)...however, you are as CL said, making a very erroneous analogy here. I am in NO WAY condoning driving drunk - I lost a dear college friend to it - but it is not clear how much his sobriety or lack thereof had to do with the man tragically dying. The guy ran in front of his car! He was likely impaired (I think he blew a .12) but was that the reason the man died? Hard to say. Further, Stallworth had no INTENT to harm that man. His judgement was poor, no doubt. But he never intedned to harm. Vick's cold cruel ass killed dogs with his own two hands. You wanaa debate Vick fine. BUt let's not talk apples and oranges

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Red, keep on, keep truckin'. You're getting a little too sensitive here for my taste. I can't help it if the claims you made were incorrect. I called you out. Deal with it. You wanna call me out? Great. Just don't become emotional jello when I fire back.

I will (and have) concede an argument if it actually makes sense, or at the very least, acknowledge the merit of it. Sorry if the claim that Matt Ryan and Donovan McNabb were more of MVP candidates than Jason Campbell at the midway point doesn't fit that billing. But keep chompin' at the bit Red. Maybe one day, you'll convince yourself.

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

If we're talking apples, I'm a Gala man myself...oranges, I prefer seedless...my kids, well they like the green Granny Smith, but those are much too sour for my taste....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

How can something be intentional and involuntary at the same time?

Posted by: psps23 | August 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick Conference on now.

Sounds very humble so far....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

JReid may become a credible insider....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The fact that the GM of the team has to bring in a "Redskins Insider" to tell him what's going on with the team tells you all you need to know about Vinny.

Posted by: Gweez | August 14, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

CL, John, and DL, this was not the first time he was drinking and driving so that he didn't mean to do it don't hold too much weight with me. If it was his time time maybe. No I don't drink but all my friends do and I have taken the keys from them including a co worker at a Christmas Party. (yeah I gave him a look of don't make me throw your ass in my truck)Just like Vick made the choice of killing the dogs so did Stallworth of driving again after drinking.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"GI Joe" is a movie.

Select the next baby-boomer toy to become a summer action movie (even if it has been one already):

a. Matell race car (the lame one with the plastic roadway)

b. Mr Potato Head (obviously a porno)

c. Operation (we'll subtitle it "Obamacare Scare")

d. Twister (an arthouse film featuring physically disabled actors)

e. Supersoaker (an water action movie about a killer plastic gun filled with, well, water)

f. Barbie and Ken (a depressing Woody Allen film about divorce, homosexuality, and infidelity that no one but people in New York will go to see)

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

4th - understand what you're saying, but I look at murder as an intentional act, versus manslaughter as essentially an accident - which this was.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

How sad it is to see that a number of our bloggers seem to hold the canine species in such low regard. Man's best friend deserves a little better than that. And why is it that this has become a racial issue? Vick is trash, I don't give a $h!t what color he is. I know plenty of white and black trash alike (and colors in between). Yet there seems to be an undeniable correlation between race and acceptance or even embracing of Vick. I don't get it. Why do many or even most black players seem to champion this guy despite what he's done? This wasnt a racial prosecution. The man did some unspeakable things to dogs and broke about a dozen laws, served less than half of his sentence and is already making almost $2 million this season, yet most players act as though he's some victim. Give me a break. Tell that to the real victims, the dogs he hung and shot and threw into a pool to drown. He deserves a second chance alright...in the VA Penal League. F VICK

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised how people nit pick on the word 'murder'.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Notorious_LMG I am not saying what did was right. Nor am I am saying he shouldn't have paid a price for what he did. What the gave him was waaay over the top.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick Conference on now.

Sounds very humble so far....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

hasnt he always? after busted for drugs, after flicking off the crowd, after murdering dogs with his hands...he's always "So sorry"...this guy is trash, wake up Skins fans and stop backing a bad guy. There are plenty of good guys in this league to root for. To boot, he's a friggin Eagle. Jesus

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:13 AM

We could go back and forth all day on this. Yes, bottom line, everyone’s action stem from choices, but stallworth chose to drink and drive (which is wrong, yes) but he did not choose to kill someone, nor to lie about it after the fact. You didn’t answer my question about who you feel needs to be “rehabilitated”…..Just one question for you. Who would you rather (If you HAD to choose) your daughter bring home to say she was going to marry? Michael Vick or Donte Stallworth?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 14, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

We have entered stupidville right about the time I really need to get some work done. So good!

Life is complex, when you try to simplify it to the point this convo is. Everyone loses.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

There are many ridickulous comments posted on this blog. For example, this idiotic banter between 4th and CL:

------------

he difference between Flacco and Campbell?

Flacco has Cam Cameron.

JC has JZ.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:13 AM

----------

All other things being equal, would Cam Cameron trade Joe "Apt Pupil" Flacco, for Jason "I'm Trying Really Hard To Get This Quarterback Thing Down" Campbell?

Huh?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 14, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:20 AM

Funny thing is Eagles fans are the most outraged by his signing. But then again, Eagles fans hate EVERYTHING...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

really. I don't guess you own a dog JM. If someone killed my dog intentionally, I guran-godd@mn-tee you he'd kiss Satan's a$$ to only serve two yrs in jail.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

LMG - I know of dogfighting rings whn I was growing up. It was prevalent if you were in the 'know'. While we knew it was illeagal, it was part of an American culture most of the mainstream did not know about. Vick has said he was a follower and didn't have a strong enough mind to just quit it as he became famous. Now, he had to hit the problem head on, which he has.

Mike Vick IS me. I messed up once which caused serious reprications to me, my family, and my future carreer/earning potential. I paid my debt to society and was ready to move on. If my work field was 32 NFL Owners, I would say only about 10 of those 32 teams/opportunities were willing to give me a chance. I took the best of those chances and excelled and redeemed nyself to the point that if I ever opened up at work, no one would EVER believe me.

I am listening to the conference now and he appears to be very humble. He deserves a 2nd chance.......

I am where Mick Vick was 7 years ago.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"I ran over a squirrel with my car the other day. Darted in front of the car...nothing I could do to avoid him."

"I ran over a squirrel with my car the other day. Saw him standing in the middle of the road...gunned it as fast as I could to make sure I squashed him good!"

Difference? Malice. That makes the very clear, very important distinction between murder and manslaughter. [Yes, a squirrel is a poor example, but I did 'manslaughter' one the other day on Rt. 3, so that's what's fresh in my mind.]

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

and a hearty F U to you as well chis pet.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

true brownwood

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I *heart* Jim Zen

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 14, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

CL, your entitled to your point but sorry you think that a vigorous debate = stupidity. Unfortunate. I feel strongly about something and I'm going to express my beliefs, based on facts when possible, if sometimes in raw emotion/personal belief well so be it. That's life.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick IS me.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:27 AM

----------

Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 14, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Man's best friend deserves a little better than that.

According to who? I say if dog is your best friend than there is something really wrong with that person.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

4th, I am glad that you overcame your past mistakes to redeem yourself and your family. Truly I am. But I will not accept that this was a "cultural" thing, not for one second. I have plenty of friends from all backgrounds in this country. While white, I spent a good deal of my life in Tidewater as a kid. THis ain't accepted by any culture. It's accepted by cruel, bad people. It is NOT how you treat the most loyal, loving, intelligent animal on the planet.

Vick has continually expressed contrition over the years but his mistakes have only gotten exponentially worse. Maybe his most grievous error will have the most impact on him changing but you might just might forgive/undertand my skepticism...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick IS me.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:27 AM

----------

Wow, just wow.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 14, 2009 11:31 AM

Exactly. Hard to believe, but true...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

No I don't as a Muslim we know they are not clean animals not as bad as pigs but no clean. And for the record if a person killed my child drinking and driving you best believe it will be their ass!! It no I didn't mean to do it. Specially if they was charge with drinking and driving before.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Man's best friend deserves a little better than that.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It's a figure of speech you jackass. You're a pretty cold cat man. Glad to know it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick is not a member of the Washington Redskins.

F'k him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I brought up the cultural thing only in context, not to make an excuse. Though I knew about it, and went to a few fights, I never would have involved myself in it. That being said, he should have divorced himself from it like ST21 did after his daughter was born. Though, it took his daughter's birth to realize he needed to grow up, atleast he did it before the law made him do it.

No more Vick/Stallworth talk for me today. I'm not judge to anyone.....

=============================================

Robert Henson looks good. I like his size. He has a good chance replacing Fletcher next year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze1 sorry for not answering your question. I believe they both need rehab. I also believe they both need to put better people around them. To be honest I don't think my daughters would bring either one home but if they did. I would give both a chance to prove that they really turn their life around.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

No more Vick/Stallworth talk for me today. I'm not judge to anyone.....

=============================================

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

You should really stop talking/writing so as to stop looking like a complete idiot. And learn to spell as well.

p.s. I can't believe I'm addressing this but I will - "as a Muslim..."??@!!! Are you FKING KIDDING ME??!! Now it's a religious objection. I have no less than 10 Muslim friends with dogs who love them every bit as much as me. I really despise (note- I didn't say hate, too many people throw hate around, which is why people like Vick end up doin what they do) people that hide behind religion. Don't worry, you're not alone there. FAR from it. But Christian, Jew, Muslim - anyone that does it is pathetic.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Not LMG: And that sorta thinking, to me, is why we are where we are at with about every problem in society. Everyone takes there corner,puffs out there chests, talks from there heart/gut and not there brain.

i am pro-thinking, solutions, compromise, empathy and listening to other people.

JM is wrong b/c he is being overly simplistic in his correlation between two disparate incidences. Intent, the law, jurisdiction....all are key differences. Take dogs out of it and Vick and crue were still dealing in multi-state organized and intentional law breaking. Add all the culture of acceptance you want but running numbers and bookies are common in all cities but its still systamatic and high level planning to break the law, thus the seriousness of the crime.

You are wrong b/c you talk about people being trash, get hotly emotional about, talk about vigilantly responses and basically talk in a want to fight and be right manner.

The issues are complex and when all of us deny there complexity and fail to view it in context than there is zero chance for any of this to be transformative to Vick, the NFL, the culture, society or the law.

outside of the soft endorsement of "its was accepted" (wow that is a slippery slope...) that 4th discusses I do find the rest of what he describes to be dead on.

Our justice and penal system is conceptaually built on reform. In that context, germane to the specifics of his case, Vick has the right to attempt to put his life back together. Society benifits when it scaffolds his release in a way that allows him pathways to be a better person. Obviously only time will tell, but no one could argue that he chance of sucesses rests increases on his current path than if he was banished to "the street".

ugh did I just type all that...sorry....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Mike Vick is not a member of the Washington Redskins.

F'k him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. And I'm with you 4th, I'm done with this talk. I apologize to all (except JM220) for getting so fired up but Vick does that to me, coupled with the gasoline on the fire from a certain ignoramus on this blog.

Onto the real topic...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

What's the matter? Can't argue your point without acting like a child and calling names.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I apologize to all (except JM220

Don't need it or want it!!!

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm done......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 14, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

cL said "penal"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 14, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

i'm done too....and I am sorry to everyone!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

good cause you ain't gettin it. yea, it was childish to call you a jackass. I shouldn't sink to your level. Good luck with using religion to justify your other narrow-minded and uncompassionate views on life bro

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Need. New. Post. Now...

Wasn't there a game yesterday?

Jarmon was Jammni.
Henson was hitting.
And we brought Bettis out of retirement...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 14, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

sorry Judge Larry for being "wrong"...thank you for sorting me out. I feel so rehabilitated...

Evderyone's entitled to their opinion, didn't ever mean to say/suggest otherwise. Just bothers me when religion is invoked in such manners. Frustrates me when people of all religions hide behind twist what was intended to be a beautiful thing of love and inclusion into an instrument of exclusion and harm

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I shouldn't sink to your level.

LMAO! When did I act like a child because you didn't agree with me? I don't use religion to justify anything. I am a man and take responsibility for what I do and think. I don't use religion to hide behind period!!!!

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

ugh did I just type all that...sorry....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 11:44 AM

That SJK right there is why you are my RI dog. (No pun intended)

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Jarmon was very positive I thought. I really think by 2010 he will be starting DE....what's Carter's contract status, anyone know?

I still think that long term Orakpo should be a FT DE, that man was born to rush the passer....but regardless he will be a beast...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

We do agree on that.

Posted by: jm220 | August 14, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

the feeling of my-dogness is mutual LH.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey all, I'm new to this so bare with me.. The rout last night was pretty bad but in all honest it WAS a preseason game.. Get beat but to come out without any injuries I can live with but in any case it still is discouraging that the players that we're said to come out prove themselves after a terrible rookie seasons(i.e. Justin "burn me once shame on me.. burn me twice..shame on me again.. burn me three times, I should move on" Tryon) provides serious doubts to why they're here.

On another note.. Did anyone pay attention to Michael Oher?? He absolutely handled a I believe Reynaldo Wynn.. I'm ecstatic that we got Rak in the first round he's a beast, but in a perfect world, I would have loved to get Rak and Oher in the first round. This guy from ole miss can definately play..

Posted by: redshot84 | August 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

welcome redshot, love Tyron nickname!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redshot84 | August 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that would be nice to have 2 first rounders. But generally teams with good FO's have such a cache of picks.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

damnit, I said I was done with this...

you said it was just "some damned dog" and then "as a Muslim we know they are not clean animals not as bad as pigs but no clean." That's using religion ingornatly and recklessly. Shame on you.

AND NOW I AM DONE WITH THIS! Peace be with you all. Let's talk Skins

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I have a buddy that wants to do a sizeable prop bet on Portis rush yards this year. He has proposed an over/under of 1,250. My heart says "take the over!" but my head says "don't touch!"

Thoughts?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vick is not a member of the Washington Redskins.

F'k him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 14, 2009 11:42 AM

Neither is Joe Flacco. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

i have to admit i'm skeptical about any opinions of the redskins writers on this blog.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 14, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:13 PM

Don't touch. Skins fans who bet on their team are either disinterested in money or are gluttons for punishment.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 14, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

There IS a new post - "O-Line Passes One Big Test" - you just can't post comments on it!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 14, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Personally i AM waaaaaaaaaaaay more siced for District 9 than GI Joe.

Originality in movies rule
toy tie-ins drool

Posted by: chrislarry | August 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the ONLY reason I went to see GI Joe is b/c it pulls the nostalgic sentimental childhood heartstrings.

I'm also excited about District 9 b/c Peter Jackson is involved, and I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy might be the best movies of all time (arguably, of course).

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll have whatever cL is having...Ritalin?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 14, 2009 12:30 PM

Certainly the best movie that stuck to the letter of the novels….make sense? Did I say that right? You know, translates from book to movie seamlessly. Not the best MOVIE(s) ever IMO though.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 14, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 14, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

beep beep (new thread ... three new threads)

Posted by: dcsween | August 14, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 14, 2009 12:13 PM

I'll take the over on this.. but not by much. CP plays with heart but he also plays with a chip on his shoulder. Ladell Butts is said to have a bigger role this year and rightly so, Clinton is beat to h311 around week 12 every year.. My thing is that I belive he is desperately needed on long 3rd down situations mainly for blitz pickup..Our line can't do that if they wanted to

Posted by: redshot84 | August 14, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Remember the Doomsday Defense?

Well, the Redskins have the Doomsday Fans.

C'mon, people! London Fletcher is gonna get burned like that during the year?! Are you crazy?

It's JUST Preseason. During the season, teams have the benefit of watching film of the opponent, of studying their tendencies, coming up with a game plan, and practicing it...

Not the case in Preseason. London would NOT have been on an island with that guy in the regular season. Period.

Hey, If you told me the O Line would hold up like it did for Campbell, I would have said you're crazy.

Of course, 23-0 looks bad... But I remember a certain asswaxing of the 49ers during the Spurrier Era that amounted to a misleading preseason game during the season.

Calm the F DOWN, People... It's not like we got embarrassed by the Raiders, you know... I mean, the Ravens do NOT suck.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 15, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse