Campbell 'No Doubt' Will Start Despite Injured Ankle

Despite being somewhat limited in practice Wednesday because of a sprained left ankle, quarterback Jason Campbell has "no doubt" he will start against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

"It's getting better," Campbell said. "You just have to be careful with it, but at the same time, my teammates are counting on me. I have to practice as much as I can because that's how you get ready to play.

"We need everybody to work as hard as they can right now and have that focus. If I expect that from everybody else, I have to expect it from myself."

For precautionary reasons, Coach Jim Zorn held out Campbell from "some of the movement plays, just to not put a strain on his foot," Zorn said. "But I would say he did all the things that he could."

Injured during the second quarter in a 9-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams, Campbell finished the game and completed 23 of 35 passes for 242 yards. He also rushed for 28 yards.

As for other injured players trying to make it back for Week 3, cornerback Fred Smoot (ribs) and defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery (knee) also practiced. "We had good participation," Zorn said.

By Jason Reid  |  September 23, 2009; 5:46 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sonny: 'I Certainly Don't Have a Problem' With Zorn
Next: Rinehart, Montgomery Vie for Thomas' Spot

Comments

whats FIRST??

Posted by: cocodc1 | September 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

JC17 is the ultimate team player. He doesn't get enough respect from the fans, who would like to see him publicly blow a gasket at his teammates.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 23, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

Some may think he blows already. j/k

Posted by: skinswest | September 23, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Soups has been more vocal on the field this year. I've noticed that on a few occasions, him lighting a fire between plays.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 23, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, they can start "Trusting" each other to make this team play better. They
need to start playing like there's tomorrow. Zorn, just needs to let it all hang out, what does he got to lose.

Posted by: madalao | September 23, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

How about practicing some of that red-zone offense? Don't you think the team could use it?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 23, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

beep peeb

Posted by: RITCA | September 23, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

BMACAttack
If you don't like Sonny follow the Girls cuz that's where you belong

Posted by: dl51 | September 23, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

OMG. We're doomed. Was hoping the injury was serious enough to keep him out this week -- and offer a chance to get a real QB in there.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 23, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but all this talk of a "sprained ankle" seems to be racially motivated. Like Collins' ankle is perfectly tight...

Did you notice how JC didn't have a "sprained ankle" until he actually was injured? How did that happen?

The injury report is a proxy for NFL racism. Yes America Jason Campbell is probable. Next thing you know, Obama will have "laryngitis"...!

Posted by: ElYeah | September 23, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElYeah | September 23, 2009 7:16 PM
==========
E1Yeah....WTF are you talking about? Well, never mind, I don't have time to deal with stupidity

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 23, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of JC17 year after year same ol s#$% can't get in the end zone no big plays,it's not the WR's the O line or the coach's it's JC17!!! Need I remind y'all how good TC15 look'd when JC17 got hurt 2 year's ago!! He's a nice guy and all but being a nice guy don't win games!!!! And I don't want to hear about TC15 being old ether just look at KW and KC and need I say BF4

Posted by: akprotv | September 23, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akprotv | September 23, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akprotv |

lol why don't you learn the game actually Todd Collins did well for the fact he knew the plays for like what 20yrs and he had the same offensive coordinator forever lol. I bet you put him out there in Jim Zorn's system and he'd suck pretty bad he isn't even mobile with our offensive line he'd get crushed on ever snap lmao. Also Jim Zorn is actually the real problem with this team not scoring in the endzone he can't call a game to save his life. His playcalling is soooooo predictable I mean its so obvious listen to espn, Brian Mitchell, Sonny Jurgensen etc.

Posted by: dcskins08 | September 23, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akprotv |

Posted by: dcskins08 | September 23, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Typical JC Haters !!! Todd collins lookd great because he had been in that offensve sytem for years pior to comming to the SKINS !!! JC knows this new system better than Todd Collins and his play shows !!! We just need better play calling from JIM ZORN in th redzone !!!! When JC takes us to the playoffs then what will you haters say then ????

Posted by: LETJASONPASS | September 24, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Jason said it himself, his teamates are counting on him.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 24, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Of course Campbell wants to play. Last time he had to come out of a game Collins came in and look great.. So Campbell knows if Collins gets a chance to play again Campbell could find himself benched for good.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 24, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

dcskins08
_______
If knowing a system is the ONLY thing you need to be successful then how comes Gibbs didn't start Collins in 2007?? Are you saying Gibbs was stupid not to see that all it took was an understanding of a system to have a 106 QB rating??? And BTW if it was so obvious to you were blogging the Skins should bench JC and start TC back then? lol..

I bet you put him out there in Jim Zorn's system and he'd suck pretty bad he isn't even mobile with our offensive line he'd get crushed on ever snap lmao. Posted by: dcskins08
_____
Ummm Zorn's system was run pretty well by Matt Hasselback and he isn't the most mobile QB in the world. And it wasn't like the Skins OL was great in 2007 yet Collins seemed pretty successful with it. Bottomline you don't know if Collins would be successful today the same as Gibbs didn't know Collins would succeed in 2007. Give him a SHOT!!! Can he really be any worse than scoring 9 pts against the Rams???

Posted by: sovine08 | September 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LETJASONPASS
_______
I SOOOOO tired of this excuse.. If that was the case then how come TC didn't start that year. Being a good QB is more than just knowing a system.. BTW 2007 was JC's second year in Saunders system so how many years does he need to be effective???

JC knows this new system better than Todd Collins and his play shows !!!
Posted by: LETJASONPASS
_______
How do you figure that??? JC and TC have both been in Zorn's system the SAME length of time. And Todd had a fine preseason.. as far as the regular season we won't know until he gets a shot at it.

When JC takes us to the playoffs then what will you haters say then ????
Posted by: LETJASONPASS
______
The way I see it when Zorn finally benches JC for not be effective and Collins comes in and leads the Skins into the playoffs what will you Collins haters say???

Posted by: sovine08 | September 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"When JC takes us to the playoffs then what will you haters say then???"

The only way that JC takes anyone to the playoffs is the same way most other fans and spectators get to go: by buying a ticket to a game being played in another city, probably from some Snyder-owned or affiliated secondary seller site like stubhub or ticketsnow.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

oooh Penn State I gotcha!

By the way, when Jopa got injured that was age discrimination....

Posted by: ElYeah | September 24, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse