Campbell: O Line Just Needs Reps

It seemed as if there were breakdowns in pass protection on nearly every snap late in the season. Campbell was sacked 38 times in 2008 - the league's fourth-highest total. As the starting quarterback, Campbell took much of the heat from the media and fans for the offense's shaky performance.

But as the Redskins were falling apart, many in the organization told my former partner, Jason "The TV Star" La Canfora, and me that the line's deficiencies in pass protection (the unit was much better at run blocking) was the biggest problem. The Redskins also came to that conclusion in an internal review of what went wrong last season - then made their biggest moves on defense.

In fairness, Washington also needed to get better, especially at rushing the passer, on the defensive line, and only so much could be accomplished in one offseason. When we last really rapped about the line, Campbell said he was totally supportive of the offseason plan and was pleased that Washington had brought back guard Derrick Dockery.

He was optimistic about the potential for improvement because of the addition of Dockery and the development of young tackle Stephon Heyer, who is projected to start on the right side for the second consecutive season (Heyer opened 2008 as a starter and lost his job after injuring his shoulder early in the season). And Campbell was encouraged that many linemen, including Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels, trained together in Arizona before camp began.

The team is kicking off its preseason schedule tonight against the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium, so I revisited the topic of the line the other day with Campbell. Obviously, a lot has happened since camp opened - none of it good.

Heyer, who is unproven beginning his third NFL season, injured his knee and missed time. Right guard Randy Thomas, who underwent knee and vertebrae surgery in the offseason, has been slowed by lingering knee soreness. Line coach Joe Bugel has repeatedly expressed his concern about Thomas, who might not be able to play the entire season, many in the organization said. Reserve guard-tackle Jeremy Bridges sprained his ankle in the intrasquad scrimmage and missed time, though the injury is not believed to be serious. Samuels had fluid drained from his knee, Zorn said.

"I think everybody understands we've been in a tough situation," Campbell said. "All those guys came into camp in the best shape possible because of how hard they worked, they worked together out there in Arizona to start building that unity, which you need to have a good line, and I think everybody was just positive about what they could do starting out camp.

"But the thing about this game is that you know you can never control injuries. You know you can't control who's going to stay healthy, and you know a lot of stuff can happen. It's a long season. People look at our offense and our line and think we're just not doing anything against our defense, but they don't understand we haven't had a chance to get the reps we need together right now."

Second-year guard Chad Rinehart has taken many of the first-team reps on the right side in place of Thomas. Bridges has filled in at right tackle for Heyer, including starting the scrimmage. "You can see Bridges can be a good guy for us, he just has to get everything down we do," Campbell said. "They have him playing all over right now. He's getting a lot thrown at him, but he can be solid.

"It just all comes down to developing the timing we need as an offense, and that can't happen if guys are out. And we also have a lot of young guys getting reps they probably wouldn't get if we didn't have any injuries. It's not a perfect situation, but you just have to deal with it, hope everybody can get healthy and just keep moving because nobody is going to feel sorry for you. We know that."

Campbell has received favorable reviews on Heyer from Redskins defensive linemen, he said. Heyer has significantly improved his upper-body strength since he arrived as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Maryland in 2007, and "he could be good," Campbell said. "We just need him to be out there and getting his timing with the rest of the guys."

The Redskins plan to exercise caution with Bridges, who could be the primary backup at multiple positions, but Bridges told me he expects to play against the Ravens. Thomas returned to practice earlier this week but will be held out of the preseason opener, Zorn said.

"Randy is a big part of everything for us," Campbell said. "He's a veteran and one of the guys everybody looks to, so you always want to see him out there. I know I do. But Coach Zorn is being smart about it. You know he's hurting and trying to give us everything he can, and you'd like him to be out there now to get his timing with the guys, but this isn't the time we really need him. The good thing about all the injuries and trying to get that timing is that we still have time" before the regular season starts.

By Jason Reid  |  August 13, 2009; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Holmes Looks for Spot in Crowded Secondary
Next: Game On: Who Will Win Redskins-Ravens?

Comments

That's what I am talking about Mayor. Fairness!

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 13, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If the oline completely flops, does Danny finally look at vinny and go; What were we thinking?

Posted by: Devo2 | August 13, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

F Jay Cutler, and just for old times' sake F the front office again (and in perpetuity) for jerking Campbell around this offseason.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 9:16 AM |

Hey buddy, this is a fambly blog. Take your garage mouth somewhere else.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

SIGN THE RIGHT TACKLE CINCINNATI CUT!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | August 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Double barrel shot gun formation.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"In fairness, Washington also needed to get better, especially at rushing the passer, on the defensive line, and only so much could be accomplished in one offseason."

BINGO!

There are some guys in here that need to be reminded of this daily.

Posted by: McMetal | August 13, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

And I would much rather watch a self absorbed idiot throw it down field than a "true professional" hit the back in the flats or the TE for a 5 yd gain.

Posted by: murphyz | August 13, 2009 9:30 AM

We've had that person here before, his name was Jeff George. It takes more than the best skills to be a leader..see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens for reference.

Posted by: TWISI | August 13, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Barry, thats even more hair brained then that patchwork thing you call healthcare reform. :P

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So Channel 4 and Comcast are showing the game tonight…..I won’t get either up here….does anyone know if Ch4 or Comcast has a live stream online that will show it?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

_______

Many in the "organization" says one thing to RI, but their offseason actions say another. The "organization" tells JLC, who was admittedly on the outs with the FO, that it blames the OL for last season's collapse. Yet, the Skins were looking to trade for Cutler or trade up for Sanchez instead of addressing the OL issue. Sounds like a bit of disinformation strategery.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Boy has this blog made a 180. It used to be troll the league for any dirt on the Skins and report it out. Now it is interview players, coaches and management, take notes diligently and report it out.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

There is a game on tonight!(sort of)Real Football!

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 13, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

with last years defense and an actual passing game we would have been 11-5

Posted by: steveets | August 13, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is clearly an optimist. I admire his can-do attitude. But the reality is that the O-line is the weakest unit on this team, and a large measure of Campbell's success and health is hitched to a group of blockers struggling mightily to just reach "average".

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

SJK ArcticCat

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 9:58 AM |

What's the flavor of the Kool Aid you're drinking? Cherry? Yum, yum!

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"As we all know"? Really? My own thought was that it had to do with a combination of rough scheduling (Pittsburgh, NYG, DAL, Bmore) and middling to poor QB play during that stretch...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 9:51 AM

Could it be rough scheduling (strong D-lines), that led to an overmatched O-line, that led to poor QB AND poor RB play?

Your analysis makes sense, but can you honestly discount the "open competition" at RT? It's a lot easier to play defense against a team you know will always run, or rollout left...

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas...time for him to be number 2 on the depth chart. I could see him as a back up but that is about it. Trouble is who is the starter?

Posted by: Masonman | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

F people who live in the past on a sports blog.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

JaLaCa is now on Wise show.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Try "www.channelsurfing.net".
_______________________________________________________________

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 9:49 AM |

Posted by: Ronnie5 | August 13, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Masonman | August 13, 2009 10:10 AM |

I agree. He had some good years but he has been injured and it has debilitated the dude.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Stallworth is suspended for the entire 2009 season.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Stallworth is suspended for the entire 2009 season.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2009 10:16 AM |

The legal system failed us but it was the NFL to the rescue.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know whether I will get the game on my Sunday ticket? I feel like the answer is no, but thought you all may know the answer. Thanks!

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

F people who live in the past on a sports blog.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:12 AM

And the corollary is "Long live we who live in the present on a sports blog!"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 10:21 AM

Maybe you have to buy the Thursday ticket for this one?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I figure this is all one big conspiracy theory. Snyder and Vinny are letting the offensive line fail so that JC looks bad. That way, when the year comes to an end, they can move on from Campbell without hesitation. And while it may sound like some Oliver Stone type stuff, it does make sense. And believe me, if that were, in fact, the real plan, it wouldn't shock me coming from those two dopes running this football team. (For the record, I don't believe that's what's happening. But it wouldn't surprise if it were true.)

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Insider is dead. Long live Redskins Insider!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm panicked

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"I figure this is all one big conspiracy theory. Snyder and Vinny are letting the offensive line fail so that JC looks bad"

Makes perfect sense....in idiotville, population, YOU....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Sopcast... Google it and become one with it. I wonder if that site that hosts all the channels is still up?

Posted by: Rush21 | August 13, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Thanks I wanted to say something but you pretty much made my point.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

... That way, when the year comes to an end, they can move on from Campbell without hesitation.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 10:23 AM |

They already did this in the off season. How's that cave that you are sharing with bin Laden?

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm panicked

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 13, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Stay Cool Blogger.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Thanks I wanted to say something but you pretty much made my point.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Brothers from different mothers

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

suzannepdc

The preseason games aren't on Sunday ticket but NFL network is replaying the game for those of us outside the local market. They are replaying tomorrow at 3pm EDT. I'm setting my DVR for it.

Posted by: MississippiSkinsFan | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009

by the same token, it's a lot easier to play D against a QB that won't take chances and holds the ball way too long. I don't want JC17 to fail, but I've grown tired of everyone placing the blame on the OL for his lack of success. When he proves he can burn other teams by making plays under pressure, opposing D's can't just pin their ears back.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

flound, welcome back, how you been??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM |

Amen, brother Ken.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Jason Reid: "Before camp began, I had a long talk with Jason Campbell about the offensive line because, as we all know, it was the primary reason for the 2-6 collapse last season."

The Skins were definitely worse in pass protection vs the run -- the stat geeks at FO rank them 15th in the NFL, vs 5th against the run -- but here are some of the teams (half the league) who were worse in '08:

In order from the bottom up: Detroit, SF, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Cincinnati, New England...

Some of those teams were terrible, and others were, well, really good.

Here's the link if you feel like a contrarian perspective:

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I know this is reiterating the question, but I live in NC and do not get Comcast. Help out a fellow Skins fan and let me know if it is possible to watch online.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should read "5th in rush offense..."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

flound, welcome back, how you been??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:32 AM |

Very well thanks,

Getting ready for tryouts for my Daughters softball team, I'm taking over as head coach.

How did your softball season go?

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Well you outsiders will probably get audio of the game on ESPN 980.com I had to do that when on vay cay last summer.

The catch is your gonna have to hear Larry Michael's voice and thus you need ear plugs.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Tuck likes the 5-man front
Wednesday August 12, 2009 2:03 PM By Tom Rock

Remember a few nights ago the Giants defense unveiled that five-man front. We're still thinking of names for it (although apparently the people of Fort Dodge, Iowa -- area code 515 -- are all huge Giants fans now!) but one thing we know for sure: Justin Tuck likes it.

Refresher course: The lineup had Tuck and Osi lined up next to each other on the right side, Kiwanuka at the other end, and Cofield and Alford in the middle.

"You're going to see a lot of that from us," Tuck said. "Luckily for me this defense and this coaching staff is giving me a lot of opportunity to move around a lot. It presents matchup problems. Think about it, you have an offensive guard and an offensive tackle and you have to face me and Osi on one side where we can do all sorts of games or we can just straight-rush you too. It really allows us to have the upper edge as far as offenses not knowing what we’re doing. They can't really get a bead on what we’re doing."

So what does Tuck think an offensive lineman will be thinking if he sees himself and Osi lined up next to each other?

"I don’t know, but I know what goes through my mind," he said. "That the offensive lineman is in trouble."

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:36 AM |

This site says you can do it, but it could be a lie.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 13, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Although the line had its share
of problems last year, Campbell deserves much of the blame for the team's lack of production. In 2006, 2007 and 2008, Ben Rothlisberger was sacked 46, 47 and 46 times, respectively. In 2008, Cambell was sacked 38 times in sixteen games, and in 2007 he was sacked 21 times in 13 games.

The excuses for this FIFTH year QB are getting old.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 13, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM |

Must be completely irrelevant that campbell was the fourth most sacked QB in the league last year. From my experience playing quarterback, it's real hard to throw a deep post lying on your back.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 13, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I love Lendy Holmes. Impressed as a Sooner and now sounds like he's having a good camp. How many safeties will we keep? I hope it's 5...would be hard to cut Reed and have a rookie backing up Horton but this guy has great upside.

-Hubie Brown

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 13, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

^wow, numpad fail...I meant "11" members

Posted by: ecale25 | August 13, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

If this team doesn't start bringing in more o-line help before the regular season, I'll eat my hat. I predict what we will see tonight is our QB's getting little time to throw, but our running backs finding sizeable holes to run through.

BTW, when Heyer came to the Redskins I distinctly remembr Bugel saying that they had to build Heyer's leg strength. Campbell says Heyer beefed up his upper body this offseason. Sounds to me like the focus in the weightroom was on the wrong set of muscles.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 13, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Flound, congrats on the head coach gig, good luck with that, teach them well....
Season is still going on, playoff game tomorrow night.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Many in the "organization" says one thing to RI, but their offseason actions say another."

Right. Because their cutting of Jon Jansen, letting Kendall and Fabini walk, signing Derrick Dockery, Jeremy Bridges, and Mike Williams, and placing an open competition on the right tackle spot -- while returning with the exact same QB situation heading into this season as they had last season -- indicates that they felt the QB position was more of a factor than the offensive line performance.

Boy, you sure convinced me.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It's not the O-lines fault, Jason held the ball too long. Look at tape of Kurt Warner or Phillip Rivers, that ball is out in the blink of an eye.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

One more interesting stat (at least I thought it was interesting), about the o-line last season: a breakdown of where the Skins run the ball:

Around left end: 19%
Around left tackle: 19%
Up the middle (either guard): 33%
Around right tackle: 15%
Around right end: 15%

Interesting because that's an unusually low number of carries up the middle. The Ravens, for example, run off guard 54% of the time. The Skins 33% looks like the third fewest in the league. Was that because they were not getting much push from the guards? Dunno. If it is, might suggest a reason for signing Dockery and Bridges, both power blockers.

Or maybe there was another reason entirely.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 9:16 AM |

Hey buddy, this is a fambly blog. Take your garage mouth somewhere else.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Dare you censure our friendly Pac NW vet, rook?

F JACKIE

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 13, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I hear Stallworth is out for the year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Season is still going on, playoff game tomorrow night.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:48 AM |

It would be great if I didn't have to deal with all the crazy parents.

It's good to see all the doom and gloom is gone from the site, as well as the backseat GM's.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 13, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

p.s. Lendy Holmes played some corner and WR as well in college and ran a 4.5 at pro day

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 13, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 10:23 AM

I said this right after the draft and got ran out of town. But you all will see.....

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Not LMG: "F Jackie" classic! Mega d*ldos to you!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 10:31 AM

The O-line was not good in the second half of the year. If D's were just pinning their ears back, there would have been more production in the run game. Also, JC17 was NFC Offensive Player of the Week last year so it's a mixed bag... he was successful at times.

Other than that I don't disagree with you, but let's add some context.

JC17 was brought in by Joe Gibbs, and witnessed from the sidelines what happened to Pat Ramsey, who was definitely more of a gunslinger despite poor pass protection.

Give the young man some credit, he does learn and he has gotten better over time, with the end of last year being a statistical exception.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I like to put the same point in a slightly different context. Not one of conspiracy, but a different shade of light if you will.

Danny and Vinny are not sold on this WC-system, the coach or the QB. They are however 100% sold on the D.

If that is the case then it makes some sense to invest in the D over the O. Why invest in something that you are not sure about. If next year they decide that Zorn/JC style is not gonna gel what do you do with these guys you bring in to fit that system, wait a year to see what happens. If they stick with Z/JC then you invest in the other players to make them successful. If not well then you have a whole new Coach and QB you need to build around.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Although the line had its share

The excuses for this FIFTH year QB are getting old.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 13, 2009 10:43 AM |

Ben holds onto the ball when there is no play, waiting for something to open up. He takes one for the team. Campbell holds onto the ball when there is a play, skeered that he might be intercepted if he throws it. He is gaming the QB rating system.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM

I concur. But Jansen at RT last year was def horrible.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

correction, the population in idiotville just doubled....

ugh, I can't imagine dealing with the parents, that would take all the joy out of that job....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Jansen = 33 + Kendall = 36
Dock = 29 by week 1 kickoff + Heyer = 25

By my calculations, our offensive line is 15 years younger than last year's line - with the obvious "everyone is a year older" scenario. We also got a former top pick, who may prove to be a legit starter next year (aka, what would happen to most draft picks) and we got a solid backup/former starter in Bridges. And it looks like Chad Rinehart is coming around (in his second year - see above).

Despite what all the former NFL GMs here think, we can't draft an entire starting offensive line in one draft. Sure, it'd be nice to have Oher or one of the top picks, but we got a beast DE/LB and potential rookie of the year in Orakpo instead.

I'm not saying our O-line is the best (our D-line may be), but don't say we ignored it this past offseason, because that argument is laughable. Yeah, we probably should have drafted more O-linemen in the past 5-10 years, but Doc and his Deloreon aren't here to change that.

Let them play and let's see what happens during the season, not during training camp when nothing matters (just ask Steve Spurrier). Ew, I just threw up.

Posted by: Section104 | August 13, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | August 13, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

No, they say, "Goodbye, Jason. Hello, Tim Tebow."

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM

Kinda hard to throw when the receivers aren't getting open.

Posted by: stwasm | August 13, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 11:01 AM

No one needs a QB rating system to know that if any Skins QB threw 17TDs and 15 INTs last year like Ben did, Skins fans would be calling for his head.

Ben is lucky to have the #1 defense to come to his rescue, so he can redeem himself in the playoffs.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I hope that the added WR's force the other teams to use more guys in coverage and they can't rush 7 every down. That may by JC another second.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Jason Campbell, who is, I think, a talented quarterback, as is Collins and Brennan. It is that moron danny boy and his idiot sidekick vinnie that are ruining the 'Skins by not improving the offensive line.

The Redskins Dynasty under Gibbs One was powered by the best offensive line in football!

What we have is one of the worst owners in football.

Can the 'Skins draft a new owner?

Posted by: rash67 | August 13, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

improvement from the wr/te drafted last year, as well as improved play calling, is what I'm hoping for...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 13, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Ha, we had Jeff George in his late 30's and we picked him up off the street. Give me a Geroge or Cutler in his prime and I'll give you some exciting football. I didnt say I wanted either of them, just said I would rather watch them. If you are going to pass the ball then get the effer down field, Im tired of watching the Mark Brunell's and Jason Campbell's and especially the weak ass arm of Todd Collins throw the ball for 5 or 10 yards. We need a QB who's balls have dropped and dosent worry about throwing an int.

Posted by: murphyz | August 13, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 10:50 AM

Kinda hard to throw when the receivers aren't getting open.

Posted by: stwasm | August 13, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse
Kurts recievers have no problem getting open, but who does Phillip have to throw to. Sometimes you have to throw into tight coverage and just trust your reciever.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Stallworth is done for the year...great news.

Guess he can forget about trying to sweeten his already ludicrous sentence.

Pretty sad when the NFL hands out a harsher penalty than the criminal justice system.

Posted by: McMetal | August 13, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse
**************************************

I couldn't agree with you more.

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

reciever.
i before e except after c

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell was sacked 38 times in 2008 - the league's fourth-highest total."

It goes without saying that I haven't reviewed coaches' tape.

But I'll be somewhat optimistic and agree with Jason Campbell as anyone watching redskins' games last season knows that the two players who were abused the most by pass rushers--Jon Jansen/Pete Kendall--are gone.

Jansen run blocked well, but couldn't handled the wide speed rush while teams isolated Samuels on the left side so they could overload blitz and send a safety/'backer at Pete Kendell and his Boston accent and creaky knees.

I'd love to see a breakdown that reveals which redskins lineman gave up the most sacks to confirm my suspicions.

If Heyer and Dockery do anything to improve the athleticism at the rt and lg positions, then Campbell is right.

If not, he'll need more than Obamacare to get healthy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 10:21 AM
Unfortunately, no……I live up by Philly, so I have direct tv/nfl ticket as well (for about 12 years now) an they never have the pre-season. For some reason, I get the DC/Balt Comcast sports channel, and they show the preseason games each year. Each year I see it in the channel guide, and sure enough, today it shows the skins/ravens game tonight at 7:30. Every year, I tune into the pregame, watch the clock, and every year as 7:30 hits, the screen goes black with the “this program is not available in your area” message, and I proceed to scream and yell “WHY? WHY?WHY? WHY?WHY?” at the top of my lungs and curse direct tv and throw sjk at the tv, and the dogs run and hide and my wife rolls her eyes at me and says “you do this every year, why do you get your hopes up? It’s just pre-season…” and I tell her to f off and she gets mad,….but she just doesn’t understand…….so them I try to find the game on line somewhere and fail. So I just end up having to read about it in the paper the next day (I can’t stand to “watch” the gameteracker on NFL dot com) and wait for the re-broadcast on nfl network.

Except this year it’s going to be different……they will finally decide to not black out the games for me and I will be able to happily watch. Plus, if it’s blacked out on Comcast, I see that MASN2 is also showing the game (I guess cuz it’s a ravens game). I get that channel, and they always show the Orioles games, so they wouldn’t DARE black this one out on me……yeah right.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Although the line had its share

Posted by: c_e_daniel | August 13, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

That's right.

The proper conclusion is that the team was carried by the defense. Roethlisberger had a particularly mediocre season; but he managed to come up in clutch situations after the defense kept them in games all season long.

Are you coming to a different conlcusion? You think Roeth somehow carried this team on his shoulders to the championship?

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If not, he'll need more than Obamacare to get healthy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

We will send him to the CFL, they know how to take care of their own.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

i before e except after c

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 13, 2009 11:18 AM |

Spoken like someone still in school. Once you get out. None of that will matter because word and excel automatically flips the letters for you.

I see it done every day on my screen, then say to my self, 'Oh Snaps!'. Well...I don't really say it, I think it though....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Seriously. We should slot Cutler as the QB for the all Jaggoff team he can be throwing to TO and Ocho.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

With Freddy Mitchell in the slot and Shockey starting at TE...

Anyone still upset that we didn't land Cutler??

That nancy-boy should at least win something - anything - before he starts appointing himself some kind of decision maker.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

4th, bringing back the "oh Snap' nice.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

whoever came up with Romotoid arthritis yesterday......nice.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 11:10 AM |

I guess mebbe the dumb ones might. It depends on a lot more than two simple stats, ints and tds.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

h8, how about, reeceevur...I'll just spell phonetically....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

which current running back goes on the all d-bag team?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

SIGN THE RIGHT TACKLE CINCINNATI CUT!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | August 13, 2009 9:40 AM

Think about what you said! How good could he be if he was cut by Cincinnati!!!

Posted by: drfunknsoul | August 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Roethlisberger had a particularly mediocre season; but he managed to come up in clutch situations after the defense kept them in games all season long."

Big Ben also has managed to acquire two rings.

And there lies the difference between his work and that of Mr. Campbell.

"Extending the play" is where #17 must improve.

He gets a 'mulligan' for last season as once a play broke down, it seemed his receivers couldn't 'freelance' and get in a position to get a reception if a play brokedown and Campbell had to scramble.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Bengals...whatever dum azz HBO exec picked Cinci as team to be profiled on the HBO training camp show should be sent back to purchasing late night programming for channel 11 in the Qad Cities, IL media market...

Gag!

I'd almost rather watch the Cowpukes for the third time...almost.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

increase the population of idiotville to 3. i think the o line was left for next year so if JC doesnt come around in 09 nobody thinks twice when Danny & Vinny trade 4 picks next year to draft Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford.

long live the conspiracy theory.

and why dont you two nerds with the softball saga take that to a private email

Posted by: jpfterps | August 13, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

which current running back goes on the all d-bag team?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Coin flip between Larry Johnson and Cedric Benson??

Sadly, an objective observer might also put CP pn the ballot...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

wow, cl, that was a really bad choice, I mean, lets pick a mediocre to bad team, with a tepid fan base, in a small market. Bad choices all the way around.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

whoever came up with Romotoid arthritis yesterday......nice.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2009 11:32 AM |

Romorrhoids too pal. How's that prep H working?

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Big Ben also has managed to acquire two rings.

And there lies the difference between his work and that of Mr. Campbell.

"Extending the play" is where #17 must improve.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

That, Moe, is exactly why I went off on the "Sign Vick" campaign...but you weren't feeling it...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn straight up said that he was no longer calling deep passing plays at the end of the season because he knew Jason wouldn't have time to make the throw, because the o-line was terrible.

But, according to some, Jason holds on the to the ball way too long and doesn't throw it deep. You can't really throw it deep if a) your o-line can't even protect long enough to give you a 5-step drop and b) your coach isn't calling deep routes.

Posted by: -swb | August 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 9:16 AM |

What's up Nate. Here's Barno's theory on this issue:

First and foremost, when have you ever known Dan Snyder to highly covet a player, especially publicly covet them, and not end up getting his man? I really can't think of a single example...can you? I can name dozens upon dozens of examples in which he went after the player, coach, or assistant that he wanted--and got his man. But none that he didn't end up with.

Vinny and Danny have always gotten their man, and it was only a matter of time before they used this perception of them to their advantage. Which leads me to my point...Snyder and Cerrato didn't really want Cutler. And they definitely didn't want some rookie QB either. Drive the price up for a player, why not? The only potential downside would be ticking off Campbell...but what if they thought ticking him off would result in a better season from him?

If you recall, many at the Post wanted to give an assist to Prisbell and Yanda for helping motivate Gary and the Terps last year with the despicable 3-part series ripping the MD program. Perhaps it will be Snyder who will deserve a major assist in motivating Campbell to have a great season in 2009---all while driving up the price for Cutler and Sanchez.

It was a diabolical plan, and the bet here is that it works.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Want to watch the game?
Go here:

... I am not certain if this will work for you guys. I live in the Caribbeans so I can't guarantee it will work for you guys but give it a try. The game is available on this site and you DON'T need to download anything!

HAIL

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 13, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:36 AM

Do you get games down there?

ARE, Coooooley, and Portis are masters at freelancing broken plays. And they have all come thru at one time or another because of that.

Not trying to bag on JC17, but he held the ball too long, was willing to take a sack instaed of a pass attempt too many times, and consistently missed Santana high.....

(If I had typed this in word, the a & e would automatically switched in 'intead', and I wouldn't have noticed....Long live Word....)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

lmfao -

gameday & all of a sudden RI's IQ has dropped. Ugly.

Soup has one season to address all y'all doubters. There is ample evidence he will improve. You don't want to buy into it, fine... but you're just venting. Get over it and watch a game.

And you'd rather watch CUTLER throw the thing all over the place, loose and cry like a baby than watch your own team slug one out conservatively?! Go watch the Cowpatties.

Figures - fantasy football starts gearing up and all the stat-bags begin their clamor.

...still worried 'bout that O Line...

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

HAIL

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | August 13, 2009 11:43 AM
I have been to this site before....I can't check it now cuz I am at work....do they actually list the game as viewable tonight as of this morning?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

Please, no more about Mike Vick until some NFL team 'mans up' and signs him.

Otherwise, he, like Marcus Washington and others is presently unemployed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell was sacked 14 times on the blitz. He had 184 attempts in those situations.

In non-blitz situations, he had 322 attempts, and was sacked 24 times.

Compare that with Big Ben, who was sacked 28 times on the blitz, in only 175 attempts.

In 294 non-blitz attempts, Big Ben was sacked 18 times.

What this suggests is:

(1) The reasons for their sacks are nothing alike. Ben was sacked twice as often on the blitz as compared to Campbell. Campbell was much, much better on the blitz. Could be for a number of reasons, but the most common of which are blitz pickup (Portis is exceptional at this), getting rid of the ball quickly, or avoiding blitzers in the pocket. Campbell exhibited both of the latter two in blitz situations (and his numbers reflect his effectiveness in this area).

(2) Ben was sacked LESS often in non-blitz situations. Even though Ben tends to hold the ball an extraordinarily long time in the pocket (probably longer than any QB in the league), he STILL was sacked less often than Campbell in non-blitz situations.

When it comes down to it, in one-on-one situations, Washington's offensive line is one of the worst in the league when it comes to pass-blocking. Matt Cassel, the league leader in sacks taken, was sacked less often than Campbell in non-blitz situations. Aaron Rodgers, who also took a high number of sacks, was sacked less often in non-blitz situations. Flacco, less often. David Garrard, less often. Bulger, less often. Jamarcus Russel, less often. Favre, less often.

The only QB in the league sacked more often in non-blitz situations than Campbell was Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Cincinnati Bengals. That's it. Other than Cincinnati, no team in the league let up sacks more often in 4, 3, and 2 man defensive line rushes than the Washington Redskins.

That is p*ss-poor. Of course there are those that will place the blame on Jason Campbell for that, saying he holds the ball when there's a play to be made, or misreading his opponent, or whatever else the reason. And maybe that's partially true. But when a defense drops 7, 8, or 9 men into coverage, there will ALWAYS be little room to get open, especially when your offensive line cannot contain their counterparts long enough to allow complex routes to develop.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Now Barno is coming up with conspiracy theories. I think it's wrong but I like the Oliver Stone twist this morning on RI.

Cutler wuold be a Skin if McDaniels liked JC. What does it say that he liked Orton better? Man I hope he is wrong.

You know they never really landed on the moon right?

Posted by: jpfterps | August 13, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Maybe HBO is thinking that Chad Ocho Cinco (wow...) will get people to watch.

If he's really going back to the '05, '06 Chad, then it might be watchable at least.

That's if you could stomach him to begin with.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

yeh, I suppose you could put Crisco on the dBag team. But he hasn't thrown any co-workers under the bus has he? Just the Coarch & he kinda deserved it...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Gag!

I'd almost rather watch the Cowpukes for the third time...almost.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 11:38 AM

Chad OchoCinco is a great caracter that threads the line ala your boy CP26. Carson Palmer is a great QB. Marvin Lewis is a standup HC. They have a villan in Roy Williams. They have a hold out in MarshmelllowStayPuff Man...

Last, but not least, they're not the DAllas Cowboys....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You know they never really landed on the moon right?

Posted by: jpfterps | August 13, 2009 11:49 AM |

Hey buddy - there are Pearl Harbor deniers too. How about them apples?

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Comparing Vick to Marcus Washington in any way is straight dumb silly...

Regardless how he did, or what led him to do it, Mike Vick rushed for 1,000 yards in a season, although debatable, as a QB.

Players and coaches have always said that he was tough to gameplan for, I don't recall anyone saying this about Marcus Washington.

Please.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

which current running back goes on the all d-bag team?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Lawrence Phillips

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 13, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

jpfterps=carl everett, or RI.

No moon landing

No such thing as dinosaurs.

wow....just wow....

game day, and they're coming out of the woodwork....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

JC17 has improved every year. He's won as many playoff games as Skins Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen. ARE and Cooley both had career high seasons in catching yards with JC17 throwing the rock. JC17 was NFC Offensive Player of the Week and set a team record for most passes without an interception.

Is this analysis over the top positive? Of course it is. But this is how some of you sound with your over the top negative critiques about JC17 holding the ball or being scared to throw.

He needs to improve his play, and his history says he will... he's gotten better every year.

He is simply not the reason this team collapsed offensively last year.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I think Jay Cutler has the right idea.

Vinny C just hear me out

I pay for NFL Sunday Ticket every year, like 13 and counting, been a fan all my life, family had tickets for 30 years between old Griffth stadium, DC Stadium, RFK Stadium, etc.

I think I should have input on the final roster.

What do say Vinny, give me a call say Sept. 4th?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Funny how you blame the failure of an entire offense on 1 of its twelve members.
Posted by: ecale25"

The offense has twelve members? I've heard of 6 man football, but never 12...

In pass protection, the QB is often the key. Take New England. In 2007, they broke all sorts of passing records, attempting an average of 36.6 passes a game and getting sacked 21 times. In 2008, they attempted 33.4 per game, and were sacked 48 times... the difference was the QB.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

Please, no more about Mike Vick until some NFL team 'mans up' and signs him.

Otherwise, he, like Marcus Washington and others is presently unemployed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, the campaign got shut down.

They heard about my efforts and quickly brought Joel Segal to camp to come in front of the media and say there is "no chance" Vick will sign w/ Skins.

See what happens when I start shaking the bushes??

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

As A Redskin fan, I hope they do well this season. I don't expect that to happen. As long as Snyder owns this team, they will not be contenders. If they do well , great. if they don't, well, it's only a game.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 13, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Too bad this isn't a regular season game...the Ravens D would make roadkill out of "3 & Out" Campbell's offense....

Posted by: unc1dmo | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I would wonder what a fan run team would look like, really. I mean not like Green Bay but a democratic vote on who's on the roster and who is not, who's head coach.

Probably look closer to the Lions then anything else. In our case it would be Mike Vick surrounded by a bunch of UVA, UMD and Howard players.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know people denied Pearl Harbor, I thought they said it was set-up to draw us into the war...

...kinda like.... suchas... maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

It was a diabolical plan, and the bet here is that it works.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 13, 2009 11:42 AM

Barno - I have actually floated this theory myself once or twice.

I knew for a fact that we weren't after Sanchez.

I think it has been documented that Vinny/Snyder don't mind NFL Guys using their names in rumors. It keeps the other teams' FO and current players on their toes at the same time....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

lmao@alex

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

He is simply not the reason this team collapsed offensively last year.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 11:59 AM

Neither is the OLine....

But we all concentrate too hard on one thing most of the times.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,

I like how DirecTV blacks out the things like Redskins Nation and Redskins Pre-game Show.

I get to watch the post game show, it doesn't have "Redskins" in the title so they must think it doesn't have to be blacked out.

Now I understand the rules on blacking out the actual game, but the pre-game or team show, that makes no sense what so ever.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze - I know exactly what you are talking about with the blackout rule. That is a comcast rule, directv isn't the culprit. You do not live in the dc market so you are only allowed to get the comcast station in philly, not dc. Some bs, but that is how they do business.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 13, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"I think your criticism is too harsh. The Bengals were a great organiztion Pre-1992. They were my favorite AFC team as a child and they have rich history and an old school owner's son."

You must have a weak definition of "great" then.

Quick show of hands, who wants to watch a reality show about the Bengals traing camp?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont think we were after Sanchez either. The Cutler chase was real though, and I am glad the trade didn't happen. I really like JC and want it to work, but unless the o-line comes through he is put in a position to fail.

As for nerdtownGreg, I am a lifelong fan, season ticket holder, and capable in the act of sarcasm. You, my friend, might be too slow to catch on, but shouldn't you be coaching softball somewhere anyway?

Posted by: jpfterps | August 13, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM

Don't forget Hampton and VTech!

We would be awsome! DHB, Shaun Hill, Merriman, Antione Bethea, All those MD CBs (4 of them), Vick, DHAll, Gaither, Heyer, EJ HEnderson, Q'well Jackson, TE from SFran, The 4 HAmpton starters in the league.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Julie Foudy on ESPN First Take is awful. I have no idea how she keeps getting to fill-in for them...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Catching up in reverse order:

1. Looks like Jason Campbell avoided saying ANYTHING about Chad Rinehart. And his remark about what the D-linemen are telling him about Heyer ... have any views yourself Mr. QB? Its not like the QB needs to have a sense about O-line play.

2. I think the Skins DID have 5 safeties on the roster last year ... or that's my recollection of why Omar Stoutmire kept returning to get cut and re-signed again.

3. murphyz, Anthony Mix got picked up by Johnny Law about doing the nasty with an underaged girl.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I said organization, not team.

And I said the org was great pre-1992.

Can you not agree to that?

Show of hands, Bengals or Cowboys?

Bengals - 1(me) Cowboys - 1(ChriSSlArrY)

Vote for me because CRSiSlARry likes the Cowboys.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

which current running back goes on the all d-bag team?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 13, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Is Tatum Bell currently on a roster?

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the Howard guys, but I bet we could piece together a decent team w/ Terps and Cavs...

Offense
Matt Schaub, Vernon Davis, Heyward-Bey, LaMont Jordan, Jared Gaither, Stephon Heyer, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Heath Miller, Eugene Monroe, Thomas Jones

Defense
Shawne Merriman, EJ Henderson, D'Qwell jackson, Kris Jenkins, Chris Long, Dominique Foxworth, Josh Wilson

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Before I get started let me say two things:

1) STOP TALKING ABOUT THE SKINS' OF OLD!
THAT ERA IS DONE! IT'S OVER! JOE
JACOBY'S NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT
DOOR...RUSS GRIMM IS NOT WALKING
THROUGH THE DOOR.

2) STOP POSTING ABOUT GETTING A NEW
OWNER! IT AIN'T HAPPENING! A NEW
OWNER MAY TAKE THE TEAM ELSEWHERE. BE
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 13, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Most OL get injured during preseason because of the physics of crush there is nothing new here. See examples- Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Todd Herremans could miss the rest of the preseason with a foot injury. Coach Andy Reid says the starting left guard has a stress reaction in a bone in his foot just above the arch. The injury means the Eagles probably won't have their projected starting offensive line play together before the season opens Sept. 13. Right tackle Shawn Andrews has been sidelined with a back injury and right guard Stacy Andrews will sit out Thursday night's preseason opener for precautionary reasons after having offseason knee surgery. Nick Cole will start in Herremans' place against the Patriots.
For NY Jets either quarterback is expected to take too many snaps against the Rams, especially with three starting offensive linemen out for the game. Center Nick Mangold (right knee), left guard Alan Faneca (broken finger) and right tackle Damien Woody (head) won't play because of injuries.

Enough attacks on OL by JC17 believers and Mr. Mayor. Actions of the Front Office speak volumes about how they perceive the major weakness of this team: It is Jason Campbell, period. They have enough videotape to see how long JC waits before throwing to an open receiver and how many times he doesn’t see an open receiver. This is the last year of the Zorn/Campbell duo. Zorn is not a good coach. Does not have a good game plan ever and for some reason is emotionally attached to a QB who cant see the field. Joe Gibbs did not mince words about Campbell and certainly refrained from giving any kind of endorsement. Why play with the brains of natural QB Colt, asking him to change his vive step drops to equal steps? Will it increase his intelligence, his vision of the field? Despite reservations on Campbell and Zorn I wish the team the best and they will be in playoffs this year. They have way too many good players with character to fail (special players Moss, Portis, Cooley, hopefully improved JC, younger OL, and the fierce defense). Besides this is a good team with no internal fighting. If JC doesn’t get the job done in first four five games, look at Zorn to go to Collins or Colt. Somehow they will find a way to the playoffs.

Posted by: aydintozeren | August 13, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: Pain

Campbell should sneak his "No Hit" practice jersey into M&T tonight. Maybe confuse the Raven defenders when they're crashing in on him.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | August 13, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I might just be an optimistic redskins fan but I think redskins OL will surprise lots of people once the regular season start. Jason Campbell will make pro bowl. Redskins will win 11 games and a first round playoff game.

Posted by: mhamir | August 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"When it comes down to it, in one-on-one situations, Washington's offensive line is one of the worst in the league when it comes to pass-blocking"

An interesting argument. And raises a legit question: why would a team give up fewer sacks against the blitz than when there's no blitz?

Could be the QB excels at picking up blitzes and getting rid of the ball, but then does he suddenly become a slower, less efficient QB when there's nobody blitzing? Hard to see that. Could be that he's a natural scrambler, adept at avoiding the rush, except watch him sometime and see how he moves -- he's no gazelle out there. Much of his rush yardage comes when he sees a lane open unexpectedly and simply takes off for a first down.

Could be there's a difference in the schemes.

I don't have a ready answer, but it's worth thinking about. It's hard to compare QBs across different teams and different schemes -- how do you control for the variations in tactics? It's not as if every squad is working from the same playbook. It's much easier to compare two QBs on the same club, provided they both get sufficient game time to evaluate.

Still, an interesting question, and thanks for asking it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Hampton and VTech!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If we added VTech to the UVA/UMD list, we could piece together a pretty beastly team...

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

org/team, your definition of great is till like the whole class getting a"B" on the calculus exam after the 30 point curve.

Yes I can disagree that Bengals were ever a "Great" anything.

You really must be bored today if you are willing to defend watching show about Bengals.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll watch the Bungles training camp over most other trash that is put on tv. They had the Chiefs on a couple years ago, this can't be any worse. And anything without having to look at TO's mug is a good thing.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Denier's list:

1. Moon landing
2. Holocaust
3. Obama born in USA
4. Campbell sucks

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So, now that I have stopped rebutting, this was meant to be my 1st post of the day.....

Vick will sign with the skins Tonight/Tommorow.

Breaking news heard here 1st. I am the Brett Haber of Sports News breaking....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Bengals - 1(me) Cowboys - 1(ChriSSlArrY)

Vote for me because CRSiSlARry likes the Cowboys.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:16 PM

You can't spell chRIs LarRy withouth the RI. [And on that second one, it looks like you couldn't spell chRIs lARry at all.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

red

"Comparing Vick to Marcus Washington in any way is straight dumb silly..."

True or False:

Both Mike Vick and Marcus Washington are presently not a member of any NFL team.

True

How is that silly?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Probaly not a good day to paraphrase Rick Pitno, rickyroge.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 13, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

pfunk, Antoine Bethea (Colts/SS) played for Howard.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1,
Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 13, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse
_________________________________________
I can actually watch the pre and post games, and they don’t black out any Redskins Nation or training camp tracker or stuff like that. I can literally watch everything on that channel except for live Wizards/Caps/Redskins games…..

I sent them an angry email a couple of years ago because for the first few years they did NOT black out the wizards and caps games, but then about 2 years ago they started to…..like ToddS says, they claimed Comcast was to blame. This is why I am hoping that I will get to watch it on MASN2 tonight. They don’t black out the Orioles or Nats games, so I am hoping…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 13, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hokies to add to list - Eddie Royal, DeAngelo Hall, Shayne Graham, Vick

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, maybe Bethea is the free safety and Sanders is the strong safety. Whatever. Colts. pfft.

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Stinky Todd. I watched the KC Cheifs year and an episode last night of Bengals. KC was much better. Hey I wanted to like, but couldnt stay awake.

Can't believe joking on the Bengals is the third rail up here....crazy.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"I am a lifelong fan, season ticket holder"

Well that changes everything...thanks for letting us know that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm could easily walk through the door....as HC baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Cl - I believe the Bengals will win their division....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

As much as people rip the FO, I would give Vinny Cerrato a B- so far since his new title of Executive Director of Football Operations...

Here's why...

I like the obvious committment to the defensive side of the ball. O-line is an area where we need to get younger, but so was the D-line, and you can't rebuild a team in one offseason. We've got a combination of youth and depth along the line. We've got Orakpo and Jarmon and good depth in Montgomery and Golston.

I don't care what anybody says, I think Haynesworth only makes us better...so what if you had to pay him, somebody would have.

This is the year where it will be revealed if we are truly going in the right direction. The play of Thomas, Rinehart Kelly, Davis and Tryon is cricital to our success.

I understand the cynical approach to the FO, they have not built up much good faith, but this team is never as good as it's touted or never as bad.

Finally, to me...the biggest battle is just brewing and that's between Randy Thomas and Chad Rinehart. If Rinehart can supplant Thomas as the starter, then this is a bonus...we'll have youth + experience and a bit of depth.

What ya'll think?

Posted by: rickyroge | August 13, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I actually watched the KC version as well, Tim Krumrie, who was their DL coach, made that show watchable....he's certifiable...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

4th, if they pick up Vick, it will be because Vinny reads RI posts and noted my previous take. To wit:

Danny's random thoughts on Vick:

Vick puts butts in seats.
Vick sells jerseys.
Vick has played in the WCO.
Vick can make up for a leaky O-line.
Vick is Wildcat-o-licious.

I, for one, am not a fan of picking up the dude, but hey what the hell. I hear he's willing to sign a 2 year deal for dirt cheap. Sign him, have JC17 start the season while Vick serves his suspension. If JC17 has a breakout season, we keep Vick on the bench and break him out for some sweet Wildcat action. At the end of the year, we either let JC17 go or tag him. Either way, we have a MICHAEL VICK waiting in the wings as an insurance policy. Trust me, guys. It'll be money.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:53 PM

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Cl - I believe the Bengals will win their division....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Well you did call UCLA as NCAA champs so maybe you are on to something.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Well another factor that certainly plays a part are the opponents faced as well. When you play Philly, Dallas, NYG, BAL, and PIT for 8 out of the 16 games, that's some elite pass-rushing talent that's coming after you. Then again, Philly, Dallas, and NYG aren't coming off the schedule anytime soon.

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

True and you can swap in Chargers for Pitt...maybe not the same level as steelers but very good at rushing passer.

Schedule strength is overrated...you gotta be able to punch in the mouth any team in your way. Def is ready to do that, OFF....well we will see.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"If Rinehart can supplant Thomas as the starter, then this is a bonus..."

Or a huge blow, if it means Randy Thomas isn't nearly as good as he used to be (which looks like it may end up being the case).

Posted by: psps23 | August 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 12:30 PM

And what team did he play his pro-carreer for??? CL?

The Bengals. Who Dey? Who Dey?

Re: UCLA - That's NCAA Brackets, Not the NFL.

Just make sure you join NAte's FF league...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jessejackonsadonkey | August 13, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Starting 11s on the Terps-Cavs-Hokies-Bison NFL Team (alternate starter in parentheses)

Offense

QB - Matt Schaub (Vick)
RB - Thomas jones (LaMont Jordan)
TE - Heath Miller
TE - Vernon Davis
WR - Eddie Royal
WR - Darius Heyward-Bey
T - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Eugene Monroe)
T - Jared Gaither (Stephon Heyer)
G - Elton brown
G - Andrew Crummey/Matt Lehr
C- Jake Grove

Defense

DT - Kris Jenkins
DT - Chris Canty
DE - Chris Long
DE - Patrick Kerney
MLB - EJ Henderson
OLB - D'Qwell Jackson
OLB - Shawne Merriman
CB - DeAngelo Hall
CB - Josh Wilson (Dominique Foxworth)
SS - Antoine Bethea
FS - Madieu Williams

Frankly this team would mop the floor with the Lions. The big weakness is at G position.

Posted by: p1funk | August 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who continues to hold Dan Snyder soley accountable for the team's failures is sniffing glue.

For some reason the b & gold uniform does not translate to outstanding achievement for previously steady, producing players.

Jason Taylor was far from injury prone before coming to DC.

He started out the early part of last season with all the confidence in the world, and then boom, the freak calf injury kills the pass rush in one fell swoop.

I am sure having to eat his 8 million for one lousy year burned Danny boy's biscuits.

Not management's fault guys.

But u gotta take those lumps sometimes.

I know this blog is centered on the lack of depth on the o-line, and Jason Campbell's last hurrah in Washington. (Cause he is not a starting q-back. We didn't talk about a 700-page playbook when Collins filled in for JC two years ago and led us to the playoffs did we?)

My point is that management can only make moves that are intended to bolster the roster.

Success is not guaranteed.

So the onus should always be on the players.

Cooley and Portis are in the prime of their careers.

JC must execute the gameplan and stop focusing on one receiver (No. 89)

He is running a West Coast offense that relies heavily on the run.

That is Skins' football.

70 chip all the way.

Posted by: Sammy33 | August 13, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"We are so fckd. By the middle of the season Alex Buzbee and Lorenzen Alexander will be playing OLine."

Indeed. And after JC gets sacked fifty times, Snyder will say it's Campbell's fault, dump him for nothing and try to coax Favre out of retirement. Anything but actually upgrade the line everybody knew would be the team's biggest problem.

Posted by: RIP-21 | August 13, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the conspiracy theorists. Folks, if Dan Snyder wants to dump any player, including the QB, he can. HE OWNS THE TEAM! That's the only reason he needs.

Why set him up to fail? He wants the team to win as much as we do, though he might go about getting to those wins in ways you don't prefer or think are inefficient.

Posted by: lordtwang | August 13, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay. So, a)does Campbell hold on to the ball too long therefore resulting in sacks or b)does offensive line whiff on blocks therfore resulting in the quarterback being mauled?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 13, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Too many question marks in regards to the o-line, the QB play, Portis' health, the development of Devon Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. With this in mind....it'll take a miracle. Is Miracle Max from "The Princess Bride" available? I'm sure The Danny could hire him.

Posted by: sec404 | August 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The offense has twelve members? I've heard of 6 man football, but never 12...

I posted a correction for my typo two posts down.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sec 404, besides keeping the trainers busy, what do Thomas and Kelly do again?

Posted by: OS94_Baba | August 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Collect paychecks. Remind Fred Davis when it's time to wake up.

Posted by: sec404 | August 13, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"NFL website says Campbell has averaged 6.3, 6.5, and 6.4 yards in 2006, 2007, and 2008, respectively. During that time period he was sacked 7, 21, and 38 times, respectively. His completion percentage was actually higher last year than in any other season. If he was getting sacked more often for holding on to the ball too long, wouldn't his average per pass or his completion percentage go down? Campbell didn't change. His offensive line did and the sack total went up.
Posted by: RedSkinHead "

Thanks for the interesting post. Couple problems with the assumption however.

He played in 7 games in '06, 13 in '07, and 16 in '08. Given the difference, what we need to compare is QB ratings, which at least partially controls for that.

His Qb rating was 76.5 in the short '06 season, 77.6 in '07, and 84.3 in '08. The reason for the improvement? For the most part, fewer INTs. Jason threw for 12 TDs in 2007, and only 13 TDs the following year, in three more games. However, he dropped from 11 INTs in 13 games to 6 in 16. He actually had as many INTs in a measly 7 games in 2005 as in the whole of last season. Given the large number of passes he threw, that's a remarkable performance -- probably the league's best in terms of mistake-free play.

The suggestion being that he set out to reduce his INTs and play more cautiously. In such a strategy, a sack isn't desirable, but it's better than an INT.

His average yards per pass IMO reflects the number of short passes he threw. He's a much more accurate passer underneath than he is on deep stuff. That's in contrast to Roethlisberger, who is legit deep threat on every play, and sometimes dumps the short stuff into the grass at the receiver's feet.

Not saying the Skins didn't have pass protection problems -- they did. They were mediocre. But Jason played a role. You could argue so did the receivers by not getting open -- a couple of commentators mentioned that, too. And you could even suggest the problems with the running attack in the second half threw too much burden on the passing game in the first place.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 13, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's to another year with no depth on the oline! Lets hope the main guys stay healthy all year otherwise we will probabably be around 8-8 again.

Posted by: DG28 | August 13, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I've said this many times on this site but haven't posted in months but our record can be directly correlated to losing Samuels in the detroit game. Granted the schedule was tough down the stretch but without Samuels our line went from average to piss poor.

Posted by: DG28 | August 13, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Been reading a number of the posts here and I'm of the opinion that this team has playoff talent everywhere except the OL. The frustrating part is that we all know what this teams needs - OL depth and talent. No surprise, we've known it for years but this FO refuses to spend draft picks on it (only picks spent in the 1-2 rounds in the last ten years were Samuels and Jansen I beleive).
Funny how NO ONE has any issues with Campbells performance in the 1st 8 games last year but starting with the Pittsburgh game he all of a sudden couldn't make decisions quickly, wasn't good enough, etc. I seem to remember a clutch performace against NO and ATL early in the year so i don't want to hear that he can't make plays. QB's need time to perform. And don't compare him to Ben Roth - he's won 2 SB's; campbells not in that league yet and may never get there. he doesn't have to be great, he has to manage the game, he has to be given time/weapons (which he has not had yet at the WR position) and then he can be judged.
I would not be surprised at all if the FO hasn't given him this depth on purpose - they are either so f*cking underhanded that they would sabatoge their QB (and head coach for that matter)in order to get one of the "glamour guys" or they are so stupid and full of themselves that they felt they could do without a top shelf OL.
I wouls somehow love to see Campbell have a great year and leave the skins, have the team suck so Cerrato get shown the door.

I cannot root for this teams success with the current FO in place.

Posted by: DEskinzfan | August 13, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

DEskinzfan wrote:Funny how NO ONE has any issues with Campbells performance in the 1st 8 games last year....
_________________________________

I beg to differ. I called in to the post gameshow on am 980 after game 1 and said they should cut him... He was a shoulder fake and throw to Moss away from loosing the Saints game. CPortis carried the team through the first half if you were paying attention. Campbell sucked in the red zone all year. All of you OLine conspiracy theorist speak as if they come a dime a dozen. In fact, it seems easier to get a replacement at QB than it is for any of the OLine positions.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 13, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Dont forget Sidbury and Hightower from here in Richmond.

Posted by: mark65 | August 13, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse