Campbell prepares for whatever Monday brings

Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell was taking things slowly Tuesday during another rough time in Ashburn.

"Just going to get some treatment," Campbell said in a phone interview. "Just trying to stay positive and get ready."

After being benched at halftime in Washington's loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Campbell is expected to have a heavy workload again in practice this week as Coach Jim Zorn officially named him the starter for Monday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field.

"I haven't been told that yet," Campbell said when informed of Zorn announcing his decision on his radio show Tuesday. "I haven't talked to him about that, I don't know what to say about that, but I'm just going to get myself ready whether it's me or" backup quarterback Todd Collins who starts.

Campbell struggled in the first half of a 14-6 loss to the Chiefs at FedEx. He completed only 9 of 16 passes for 89 yards and had an interception on a desperation pass to the end zone as time expired in the half.

The fifth-year player had a 46.1 quarterback rating, and Zorn turned to Collins, a longtime backup who led the team to four consecutive victories and a playoff berth in 2007 after Campbell's season was cut short by of an injury. After providing an early spark against the Chiefs, however, Collins also struggled.

In six games overall, Campbell is completing 65.6 percent of his passes for 1,197 yards and six touchdowns with six interceptions. His 84.3 passer rating is tied for the highest of his career. Although Campbell has been named the starter, Collins has been told to "be ready," league sources said.

"Right now, all I'm trying to do is just do whatever I can to help my team win," Campbell said. "It's really not about one person - it's about all of us. We all have to do our part to be successful, and I'm always going to try to do that."

Over at the Bog

Dan Steinberg has Rich Gannon comparing Washington to Oakland in a conversation with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

By Jason Reid  |  October 20, 2009; 2:55 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn says he thinks he'll 'go right back' to Campbell
Next: Levi Jones and RB signed; Alridge, Mason released

Comments

Every time I hear JC talk I get this mental picture of Chance Gardner ... "Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again. And all be well in the garden"

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

To bad we don't have a BMitch to fill in as emergency QB this time around.

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 2:42 PM

Eh....Hate to inform you, but BMitch will be getting inducted that night in the Ring of Fame. He choose that game because he played for the Eagles, too. How many fights will be started because both teams will be claiming him?

That's kind of F'd up BMitch....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Luckily Campbell won't have to TIVO House next monday.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"... whether it's me or" backup quarterback Todd Collins who starts." - Teflon Campbell

backup quaterback? LMAO. Buddy, watch what you say, after all, you should be in the practice squad.

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I have confirmation that Philly has the most Jason Campbell like cheerleaders in the league (average):

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

You know who we need on this team? Either Wes or Johnny Banana's from MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Ruins. They'd bring in the spark this team needs.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

give the bog a read, WOW....

From Rich Gannon:

When I went out and watched practice on Friday, I have to tell you, I wasn't impressed. You know, when I watched the play selection, I watched their substitution pattern and I watched their scheme, right now, to me, it's very vanilla, it's very scaled-back.

There you go, thats our offense in a nutshell.....2nd former player to come out and call this offense crappola in the last few weeks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

You do realize that the quote ends after the word or, Campbell didn't say the last part of that sentence.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 20, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Monday Monday, can't trust that day,
Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way,
Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be,
Oh Monday Monday, how could you leave and not take me?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 20, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

4th

They live in Philly or Jersey, what do you expect them to look like?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

4th

They live in Philly or Jersey, what do you expect them to look like?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Love that Gannon said all that to Snyder's face, and then his team promptly went out and pooped the bed. Maybe any arguing Snyder did before hand was quashed with Chiefs 14 Redskins 6 and he'll shut up and hire a GM.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 20, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Its just another Manic Monday
I wish it was Sunday
That's my fun day
My I don't have to run day
Just another Manic Monday

Posted by: ElYeah | October 20, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Hall gives free advice to Jim Zorn
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2009 3:05 PM ET
By now, Redskins coach Jim Zorn may be used to having his decisions questioned by his bosses.

"As far as the change of benching Jason in the second half, obviously that didn't work. So that's not the change you need," Hall said. "I think if I was the guy, I would've left Jason in . . . I don't think that was the right move. Coach made that move. Ain't nothing I can do about it. He made that move, he had to live with it."

Hall's play this season, lovingly highlighted by Cris Carter Monday night, has been spotty. It's probably never a bright idea to question your coach's strategy, but it seems especially short-sighted from a player like Hall.

The good news for DeAngelo is he'll have nothing to complain about this week.

Zorn has confirmed an earlier report from ESPN's Matt Mosley that Campbell will start Monday night against the Eagles.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 20, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Gannon compares Redskins to Raiders
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 3:12 PM ET

Already persona non grata in Oakland, former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon (who also once played for the Redskins) might not be getting the red-carpet treatment the next time he's assigned to work a game at FedEx Field.

During his Tuesday show on Sirius NFL Radio (via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post), Gannon compared the situation in Washington to the morass in Oakland.

Gannon shared his observations from the perspective of a 15-minute sit-down with owner Daniel Snyder. (It's unknown whether Gannon tried to order the "gabagoo.")

"Well, you know, ironically enough we were kind of going back and forth, between talking about the situation in Oakland," Gannon said. "Honestly, this is crazy. And I'm sitting there saying, 'Is this all that different than in Oakland?' And I didn't want to insult him, but certainly I thought the situation was dire."

So what does Gannon think about the latest move, with coach Jim Zorn designing the game plan and someone else calling the plays?

"It's a mess," Gannon said. "And now they're gonna turn to a guy in Sherm Lewis that's been out of football for five years. I mean, he was lured out of retirement to work as a consultant, 'another set of eyes,' was what Vinny Cerrato said. I don't think it's something the coaches wanted. He doesn't even understand the terminology. When I sat down and talked with some of the coaches, they said, 'Listen, this guy's been out of it, we have different terminology, different verbiage.' My sense is the coaches aren't happy about it. And they don't have time, the coaching staff, to stop and to bring Sherm Lewis up to speed. And I think that this is actually going to turn into a disaster for this organization."

Gannon's assessment meshes with our Week Six power rankings, regarding the No. 27 team in the league: "So the head coach is good enough to still be the head coach, but not good enough to call the plays instead of a guy who spent the last five years calling bingo numbers? Yes, the NFC finally has found its answer to the Raiders."

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

yeah, between tony k, and gannon, stating that this team needed some drastic changes made, I'm hoping/praying some of this is sinking in on DS.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't sleep in the subway darling
Don't stand in the pouring rain...

Posted by: ElYeah | October 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

With this weak line, they need to design more plays with pocket movement. Let Campbell roll out and buy time. Get the play-action passes going. Max protect on 3rd downs... anything to help out these backup lineman.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 20, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Now...I tried to tell all you fools on Monday about the Redskins cheerleaders outfits, but all anyone wanted to talk about was BINGO and being emasculated.

I know present to you a side by side comparison to the Philly She-Males (2nd picture)...

At the bottom is what the Redskinettes had on....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the interview with Bag-head guy. Oh how I miss that over-the-top, dramatic interviewer guy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

To bad we don't have a BMitch to fill in as emergency QB this time around.

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 2:42 PM

That's kind of F'd up BMitch....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:04 PM

Suit him up!

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 20, 2009 3:10 PM

And that is a complete sentence to you? Although I wouldn't be surprise if you were right with the great writers and editors that WP offers.

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

PFW IS REPORTING SHANNY WONT TAKE SKINS JOB
this is when the real fun begins....when snyder realizes that he went to far, waited too long, and has treated people like crap
when he sees that no big name coach wants this job he will be forced to fire vinny and get a good gm
that is the ONLY way he attracts a coach
lets see how he reacts

Posted by: jj44skins | October 20, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for another embarrassment for my beloved franchise, this time on national tv, while The Danny looks on, still unable to wrap his little brain around the disaster he created.

Posted by: smutsboy | October 20, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Schaub is asleep? He is? Wow I wish we had an asleep QB who had chucked 6 TDs in the last 2 weeks and 14 for the season.

Posted by: chrislarry |

Its the play calling..They call the stuff to take advantage of the d-fense..Zorn called play because he always wanted to..Fantasy Island plays...He dream of Jeanie plays...

Posted by: jcnjcnj

OK, so Matt Schaub has no talent as a QB...OK...I mean the last thing from a Zorn defender, but jeesh call me a rube but I think Schaub has some skills "up here"

Tell me do you watch the NFL?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

At the bottom is what the Redskinettes had on....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:19 PM |

That Bengals cheerleader looks like Omirosa.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Suit him up!

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM

For which team?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

PFW IS REPORTING SHANNY WONT TAKE SKINS JOB
that is the ONLY way he attracts a coach
lets see how he reacts

Posted by: jj44skins | October 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on amount of trades before deadline:

I say push

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"but I'm just going to get myself ready whether it's me or" backup quarterback Todd Collins who starts.
-------
That's just terrible writing by the Mayor. What is he trying to do? Create drama for anyone who doesn't notice the end quote and the paraphrasing? I didn't at first until the quote stunned me for a second, and then I had to look at it again. F Dallas

What's the point in paraphrasing that part? Just finish the quote.

Posted by: REXskins | October 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Why would vinny want to make a trade. He has put together the greatest team ever on paper.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

2 trades at most....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex I mean NFL wide....

F Vinny....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

give the bog a read, WOW....
From Rich Gannon:
Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow is right. Gannon's last comments were particularly troubling regarding Monday's game. Think the skins may be in for an epic embarassment on national television. Might wake Snyder up.

"It's a mess," he said. "And now they're gonna turn to a guy in Sherm Lewis that's been out of football for five years. I mean, he was lured out of retirement to work as a consultant, another set of eyes, was what Vinny Cerrato said. I don't think it's something the coaches wanted. He doesn't even understand the terminology. When I sat down and talked with some of the coaches, they said, 'Listen, this guy's been out of it, we have different terminology, different verbiage.' My sense is the coaches aren't happy about it. And they don't have time, the coaching staff, to stop and to bring Sherm Lewis up to speed. And I think that this is actually going to turn into a disaster for this organization."

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

boy this is tiring.... there are no answers here on offense, our incompetant owner/management has hired an incompetant coach to go with an utterly untalented collection of offensive players....no leadership, no play making, no toughness really nothing we do or can do well... there is just nothing you can say after 22 games ( really longer) we haven't had a good offense since norv.....what I am rooting for now and suggesting you hope for as well is for total and final humulation over these last 10 games ...pants down red in the face embarasement...this and only this will convince boy wonder to fire cerrato and hire the best football mind he can and let that person hire a coach and build the team.....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 20, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 20, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

SO i guess nothing on the trade deadline front. Thats all I really care about today. Anything else is like throwing rocks at an A1 Abrams battle tank.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 20, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 20, 2009 3:10 PM

Posted by: hock1 | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I realize that it would not be a complete sentence.

Do you realize that the quote ends before the words "backup quarterback Todd Collins who starts."

Could be a typo or it could indicate that Reid put that phrase in to make it clear who Campbell was talking about.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 20, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Suit him up!

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 3:20 PM

For which team?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:27 PM

For the skins of course. BMitch will always be a redskin to me. Hell Art Monk played for the Jets, doesn't mean I think of him as a Jet. Ever.

Posted by: skinswest | October 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

That Bengals cheerleader looks like Omirosa.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:26 PM

I was thinking the same exact thing. SPitting image.

I geuss there are worse off cheerleaders than Philly....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I say we all get our pitchforks, torches, etc. and march down to danny-boys house, tear down the gate and have at him!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Skins are starting JC until they can easily match whatever he gets offered as a restricted free agent.. (minimum?).
However his prevent D stat padding, when the Skins are 2 scores out of the game, may bollox that plan.

He is now at the BOTTOM of the actives..

From the great BOZ...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The detachment between Snyder/Cerrato, and the fans/team, is unreal.

Everyone else sees what the problems are...except the man that is in a position to fix them.

I can't understand how a person can be such a horrible communicator and such a social disaster as Snyder is.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, he's had 15 different offensive systems every week for three years straight.

And the season they made him throw left-handed was pretty bad too.

Posted by: daggar | October 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Okay I have sceen this posted a few times. When they say he is in a 5 way tie, is that in yards or wins or TD's or INT's

You cant post a stat and not say what it is for, did people here never go ti science class growing up, that is a basic rule on giving out data.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. some people dont like facts. much like how danny and vinny don't like women.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

where were you during Bush's 8 years??
++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 20, 2009 3:42 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

And the season they made him throw left-handed was pretty bad too.

Posted by: daggar | October 20, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

My favorite was the season where they made him walk on his hands and throw with his feet.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 20, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Out of all the 219 passers in NFL history who have thrown at least 900 passes, Campbell ranks in a five-way tie for 201st at 3.1 percent."

What is the 3.1% for?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 20, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok i almost reported a blogger for they keep post the same thing over and over again enough already

Posted by: joevick | October 20, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Gannon's comments ring pretty close to what I sense as well.

The coach is in over his head. Vinny is a huge problem. A play caller who has been out of football for 5 years makes little sense. Our scheme is vanilla, which goes back to the coach, though injuries would seem to play a role as well.

In any case, the theme is

"Hey why don't we give (fill in the blank) a shot as (fill in the blank)?

Pick the guy, then pick the role:
HC, GM, RG, RT, RB, QB, play caller, etc

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 20, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

any relation to michael, joe?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

You mean "medium"?

Posted by: REXskins | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM

Raising hand and doing the Scarlett O'hara grubbing on a dirty turnip hunger pledge: "As God is my witness, I will never be medium again." Even if I lose a few pounds & can fit into a medium shirt, I promise to eat a pound of donuts dipped in bacon grease chased by a jumbo grande size vanilla pistachio milkshake every day until I pork back up to large.

Posted by: will_ga | October 20, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I didnt write it, Professor, it was lifted verbatim from Boz's article (as I credited).

appears he is rated last in this TD category, of the active 900+ QBs.

Bottom line, he is a one-read backup QB on any other NFL team, except when he gets his "rhythm" which is usually in a prevent D when the Skins are behind by 2 scores.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 3:44 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for the link, but I almost spit up my lunch at the sight of that hideous burnt-orange creature cheering for the Patriots.

I'd say in the great catsuit debate that the Iggles and Skins are tied in first place... there's something Star Trek sexy about the Iggles' ones, and the Skins ones are different but not that much better, to me.

Also, F Dallas, including their cheerleaders.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 20, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What happens if (highly unlikely) this team starts scoring points and winning. Lets say that the playcalling change works or Campbell showing more intensity after being benched or the team rallies around Zorn. Could Zorn keep his job? They didn't fire him at 2-4 so if he goes (again unlikely) 8-2 the rest of the way and makes the playoffs could they justify firing him then?

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I second the F'ing the Dallas cheerleaders

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hock1

You fail reading comprehension 101, hock0. The partial quote attributed to Campbell ended at "or." The writer added the rest. But don't let the truth or fact stop you from playing with yourself. Everyone knows the offensive line is creaky and leaky. Yet Campbell completes 65% of his passes, and of his six interceptions, one was a Hail Mary. But we all know black quarterbacks rarely get a break. Especially from the ignorami.

Posted by: edwcorey | October 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

So why haven't they tried using Randle El at Qb on a Wild Cat play. He use to play QB. Couoldn't be anything worse than they have now. Also, why don't they use bunch formations to free up the wrs?

Posted by: eznz | October 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ok changing my vote to under 1 for # of NFL trades before deadline./...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This week's FFUpdate

Ina clash of titans, first place Suzanne's Trippin Billies (6-0) rolled over 2nd place Dealer (4-2). Dealer had the odds against him with many players out on a BYE week, but when the score was 100-8 at the end of Sunday afternoon, well, the writing was on the wall, the floor, the ceiling, the driveway ... With Shaub, Hines Ward and MJD all scoring 25 points or more, the final score was 144-36. Suzanne at 6-0, has a 2 game lead over 3 teams.

Zornskins (3-3) clashed with my Salmon (4-2) team, using his iggles and Seahwaks. Well, those birds much have been nesting because they didn't show up Sunday, resulting in a surprisingly easy win, 124-61, behind Thomas Jones' 36.

The RealSkins (3-3) faced the 1 win, BYE week riddled Alpa Chino team and the result was an upset special. Alpa (2-4) rode 31 from Drew Brees and 25 from the Packer defense to a 110-57 win. Hasselback and the Vikings defense both scored negative points on the day for the Realskins.

In a battle of 2-3 teams looking to get to .500, the Coproliths (3-3, and what's a Coprolith?) took care of cL's Bombers (2-4) with an impressive 118-71 win. While Randy Moss had a huge game with 32, it was balanced scoring that carried the day, as only Copro's kicker failed to get into double digits.

The formerly winless KoolAid Kids (1-5) knocked off E Funk, 83-43. Funk (3-3) had 3 starters get shut out, while Brady led the Kids with 39. Its worth noting that KoolAid had a staggering 109 points sitting on his bench!!

The Stweengs (4-2) trailed by SFSkin's Butz (1-5) team by 2 points, heading into Monday Night. It all rode on LT's shoulders and LT came through, resulting in a 53-45 final. Fortunately for the Stweengs, Butz had left 77 points sitting on her bench.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 20, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"...whether it's me or that goofy-ass, no-talent white dude who starts."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 3:55 PM |

If the 'Skins go 8-2 the rest of this season I'll let barno punch me in the face, repeadely until he gets tennis elbow.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I actually don't think Zorn is over his head. Like a lot of new head coaches, he needs to improve game management, but I think the "vanilla" and "scaled back" characteristics of the offense is a recognition on his part that he has very little talent at the core of this team (the line). We can't protect and we can't run block. Nobody could have been successful.

When he got here he said he would need three years to get this offense in place. Apparently the Skins were fine with that at the time. Fickle Danny strikes again.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 20, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great news!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

where were you during Bush's 8 years??
++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 20, 2009 3:42 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

Pffft. Could care less about O-man or B-man on a football blog.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 20, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm just wondering what would happen if it DID. I actually suspect that they intentionally did not improve the offensive personnel because Danny didn't want Zorn to succeed and keep him from being able to bring in Gruden/Cowher/Shanahan/Holmgren.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

The Schroeder-for-Lachey trade with the Raiders has to qualify as one of the biggest fleecing jobs of all time.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 20, 2009 3:29 PM |

The 2nd rounder for Jason Taylor isn't too far behind, factoring in that the Phins got him back the next season at 1/3 his contract salary and the dude ain't doing too bad for them - 3.5 sacks in 5 games.

Posted by: GasFace | October 20, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eznz | October 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Bunch formations help wideouts get off the line, which has not been the problem. They just cant get separation. Also, they are running less 3 and 4 WR sets because of the offensive line problems.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

that's like wondering what would happen if Obama wasn't a socialist, if Bush wasn't a moron, if Limbaugh wasn't a racist, if Vinny wasn't a moron, or if Campbell was good....all extreme hypothetical that come nowhere near the realm of possibility that they aren't worth discussing. The skins aren't finishing 8-2 stop wasting our time.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Over in the FF Peeps league, it remained closely packed.

Redcoat continued to impress as his Fins (5-1) continue to lead the league. His 98-69 win over Tampa (3-3) was led by DeAngelo Williams 30 and AP's 17.

With 4 teams at 4-2, however, Redcoat took a huge step, giving up Peyton Manning for Adrian Peterson. He now has the #1, #3 and #9 RBs. Wow!!

The Skulls (2-4) took a 17 point lead over 4-12 (2-4) into Monday night and held on to win 84-78. MJD's 34 led the way for Skulls.

Alex's Zombies (4-2) overcame the Steers (1-5) by a score of 108-71. It was all about the QBs and it was unexpected. Brees' 31 came against a highly rated jints defense, while Hasselback had a horrid -5 against the bottom ranked Cardinal pass defense.

The Dunsmore family of Houston had a good weekend, with both the Jackalopes and Buffaloes winning.

The Jackalopes (4-2) took care of Nate (2-4), 98-46. Nate had 5 players with byes this week, then started 3 others who played and failed to score.

The Buffaloes (4-2) trampled the Shaft (2-4), 132-54. The Buffs got a huge contribution from Randy Moss, and unexpectedly large contributions from the Tampa defense and Owen Daniels.

My Futaleufu (4-2) team overcame Future (3-3) in a close contest. Brady had 39 for Future, but Thomas Jones countered with 32 for Futa. A 1 point game going into Monday night opened up a bit with the final score was 104-93.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

appears he is rated last in this TD category, of the active 900+ QBs.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

No its TD's per attempt not "TD category".

If you want to lift anything as a quote, you need to use to help provide necessary context, or post the full context and post the entire previous paragraph.

So lets look at the full context of this stat.

"One of the critical ways to measure an NFL quarterback is his percentage of touchdown passes. In all eras, from Sammy Baugh (6.2 percent of his passes were touchdowns) to the present, the great passers know how to finish a drive. A typical touchdown percentage for a star is between 4.5 percent and 6 percent. Below 4 percent is poor. Zorn himself, as well as ex-Redskins coach Steve Spurrier, were only at 3.5 percent.

Out of all the 219 passers in NFL history who have thrown at least 900 passes, Campbell ranks in a five-way tie for 201st at 3.1 percent. Only 14 quarterbacks, all nonentities, rank lower. Is the flaw in Campbell? Or, as on Sunday, when both Devin Thomas and Mike Sellers missed possible touchdown catches from Campbell, is his paucity of scoring passes merely a reflection of an ill-built red-zone offense?"

Providing the full stat makes for interesting discussion and provides a quality post. But you know why you don't bother to try and make a better argument. Because your a hater, and you dont actually want to bother with context or anything, you're to busy busting a **** over someone slamming a guy you hate already.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Skins cut Marcus Mason

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | October 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This week's FFUpdate

In a weekend that rivaled real NFL games for thrills, the Hamster league fantasied their guts out....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 20, 2009 3:58 PM

Obviously, the 'Realskin' problem is ownership. That Bamatastic Bama needs to hire a real personnel guy. Of course, the Bamtacular Bama will probably blame "The Media" for the loss.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | October 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

LMAO. After NO nuked the Giants D they are still ranked #1, albeit in ypg. In pints per game they are like #17.

Posted by: GasFace | October 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GasFace | October 20, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

NYBias...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Dan Snyder actually becoming a worse owner than Peter Angelos? That's the $1,000,000 question.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 20, 2009 2:20 PM

Really? In 2000 the Giants hired someone mid-season who had been out of football for 5 years (and had been calling bingo) and handed over playcalling responsibilities to them?

Oh wait, no, that's not how it happened - they handed playcalling over to someone who had been on the staff all already all season long.

What's the difference, you may ask? How about (1) bingo, (2) familiarity with plays/playbook/personnel, (3) meals on wheels, and (4) WTF???!!!??

If you are bating me into a freak for no reason, then well played, sir. If you are serious about thinking this might work, then I have a bridge I would like to sell to you - at a special price.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

defensive rankings are based on yards per game.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | October 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought you were a O's fanboy?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Jints had a good O-line and 2 solid RB's in 2000.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked and respected Jason Campbell and my respect for him has gone up with his classy attitude through all this ridiculousness. I hope he goes to another team next year and lets his bright star shine (like so many other former players on this team).

Remember, folks, QBs are like coaches: you don't have to yell and scream to be successful. Look at Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Johnny U, Peyton Manning, et. al.

Posted by: playahatah | October 20, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 20, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

_________________

The offense has regressed though and shown no signs of life or improvement at all. It would be one thing if there was progress, but Zorn hasn't made a very good case for being a head coach or offensive coordinator in the NFL. The team can't even score 14 points a game!

I don't blame the front office at all for moving on. But, the way they've initiated it is an absolute joke. Jeopardizes the chances of getting a decent coach to take this job in the future.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 20, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Alridge and Marcus Mason were cut. Skins picked up an RB named Quinton Ganther and mr. Levi Jones

Posted by: --swb | October 20, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"Jim Fassel did just that and took the Giants to the Super Bowl in 2000..the lost to the Ravens but still changing play callers mid-season can work...you just have to let it and stop crying over something that hasn't happen yet...just let it work...

Posted by: jcnjcnj

This from the same guy who said Matt Schaub sucked....

Actually what he did was take playcalling away from Sean Peyton and started doing it himself. But aside from that part you got wrong, I will ad this. They were all on the same staff, using the same terminology, coconstructing gameplan, were hired by Fassell, lead by Fassell.

So yeah totally analogous....

try thinking...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Has it ever been confirmed whether or not Danny is a Scientologist?

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb | October 20, 2009 4:21 PM |

BS show me a link.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Flounder its on redskins.com, I saw it, too...

Posted by: mattylight | October 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought you were a O's fanboy?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:14 PM

What's ones fandom have to do with who the worse of those 2 owners is?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

It's up on the Skins blog twitter account:

First place I found it

Posted by: --swb | October 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry swb you were right.

Redskins pick up Levi Jones
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2009 4:19 PM ET
The Redskins desperately need help at offensive tackle, so they picked up the biggest name available Tuesday.

The team announced that they signed Levi Jones, formerly of the Bengals.

Jones once had Pro Bowl-caliber talent and received a contract extension from Cincinnati with $16.3 million in 2006, but back injuries slowly wore him down. He worked out for the Lions and Packers recently, but both teams passed.

To clear roster room, the Redskins released two running backs: Anthony Alridge and Marcus Mason. They also signed running back Quinton Ganther, formerly of the Titans.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb

Confirmed on 980

Posted by: Predator48 | October 20, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"One of his players is also happy to help. Cornerback DeAngelo Hall said that taking Jason Campbell out of Sunday's loss was the wrong move."

Now, was that Two-Hand-Touch Hall, who apparently hasn't quite mastered the concept that, despite the Indian on the helmet, it's not counting coup in the NFL that gets the guy down. Each and every one of these sorry azz losers should get as far away from a mic or camera as they can until they can prove that they can play the game as warriors and not as used car salesmen (no offense meant to those of you selling pre-owned cars). Hey, Hall--and the rest of you mooks--STFU until you win a game.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | October 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Redskins pick up Levi Jones
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2009 4:19 PM ET

The team announced that they signed Levi Jones, formerly of the Bengals.

Posted by: TWISI | October 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

So does Levi start this week at LT?

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: playahatah | October 20, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Campbell is not like any of the players you listed. He doesn't show command or understanding of anything that goes on around him. You can't lead or inspire confidence in your teammates, when you have no clue what you're doing.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is not the first starting quarterback to be ever benched and he won't be the last. He needs to do his job - staying positive isn't a cure all on a ship that is sinking. I'd rather he be energized, real, and direct that he will RISE UP and EXECUTE his job performance.

The problem with Jason Campbell is that he has been pampered and treated with kid gloves - his feelings have always been over compensated. We failed to toughen him up and now we are paying for it. We've got a wuss.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 20, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So now the Skins have the 4th pick from the 2002 draft at right tackle and the 10th pick from the 2002 draft at left tackle.

Too bad draft order doesn't dictate talent level

Posted by: --swb | October 20, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mrs. Campbell..
your beef is with Boswell, I provided the link and the TD per attempt stats from his article... I dont wish to clip and paste a complete article in the same newspaper it appeared in, when I can just provide a link.

So, with your logic, Boswell is a "hater", too. Opps.. so is Zorn since he benched him. And so is Moss, Kelly, and other WRs for letting him overthrow them repeatedly.. Lots of haters...

JC is in LAST PLACE in TDs per attempt of all active NFL QB's that have 900 or more attempts.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:07 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 20, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Finally signing Levi Jones was a good move, too bad they didn't do this about 3-4 weeks ago when we were all screaming for it.

Season is still lost.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 20, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why the hell not sign Levi? Now cut someone else (Rock, Henson, whoever...) and sign Runyan, and maybe we have a workable offensive line...or maybe not...

Posted by: mattylight | October 20, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

It's about time they did SOMETHING to address the offensive line.

Who's this running back that they also picked up?

Posted by: dfbovey | October 20, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,
I don't think you could teach him the full scheme in 4 days. But I could see him starting at LT after the bye week. The RB moves are interesting.

And so again ends the illustrious career of Marcus Mason.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Tell me do you watch the NFL?

of course I watch the NFL that how I know Schaub is not that good he is definitely not better than Campbell..He came in when Vick got hurt and all of the people done south wanted him because he wasn't Vick..so people brought the hype and now you want to make a case for him..the Texans will not make the playoffs with Schaub and they definitely wont win a Championship...Schaub sucks....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Predator48 | October 20, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter who the QB is or who's calling the plays, they're still Zorn's plays and they don't work. We can't run behind this OL. We need to become a "pass first" offense. I'll take the short stuff all day if it moves the ball.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Campbell, Collins....

Here is your worst fear, Snyder - who cares?!

Posted by: Trout1 | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

So yeah totally analogous....

try thinking...
Posted by: chrislarry

Zorn had an opportunity to do this but he chose to keep calling the same predictable plays..Instead of letting Sherm S try calling...So it was taken from him and his ego...you and hithere1 talk this terminology as if Zorn speak Chinese or something..Plays are plays you run or pass Zorn wasn't able to communicate his play to his players that why MK12 &DT11 & Sleepy couldn't get up to speed...so if the terminology is to complicated simplify it..like on any giving sunday..."go to the Buick and turn around"....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 20, 2009 3:29 PM |

Posted by: GasFace | October 20, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

*************************************
You forgot to mention trading Champ Baily and(!) a 2nd round pick for "Pockets Straight" Portis... that is when we started to see that the organization's priorities were out of whack, in terms of the concept of how to succesfully build a team.

Posted by: PDXskin | October 20, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

They call it Stormy Monday
But Tuesday's just as bad.
They call it Stormy Monday
But Tuesday's just as bad.
Lord, and Wednesday's worse
And Thursday's all so bad.

The eagle flies on Friday,
Saturday I go out to play.
The eagle flies on Friday,
Saturday I go out to play.
Sunday I go to church,
Gonna kneel down and pray.

Lord have mercy,
Lord have mercy on me.
Lord have mercy,
Lord have mercy on me.

Posted by: TheCork | October 20, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Redskins pick up Levi Jones
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal

Is BIG CHRIS is done for the year?
Well we can move Heyer back to the right side and put BMW at RG..or Heyer as a backup with Rhino and BMW on the right side...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 20, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 20, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | October 20, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

stole it from someone else, I know he spells it VINNY!!!!

FIRE VINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Skins28 | October 20, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure Zorn telling Campbell that he's the starter carries any weight. Zorn has as much clout at Redskins Park these days as the cleaning lady. If I were JC, I'd check w/ Vinny to see if it's true...

Posted by: randysbailin | October 20, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

One and only problem with the Skins is the evil midget who destroyed our team.

Posted by: nativedc | October 20, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

You mean sawed-off midget.

Posted by: hessone | October 20, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

We all know $nyder can't stand Campbell. We all know Zorn is gone Tuesday morning. We all know $nyder publicly castrated Zorn yesterday. Turnaround is fair play, in his last call as Skin's coach Zorn names Campbell his starting QB just to piss off $nyder. And this is what has become of a once proud and storied franchise!

Posted by: lf12 | October 20, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Danny boy, take note of what Phil Simms and Pat Kirwan say about drafting:

(Beginning at 4:40)

From the future Hall of Famer himself: "...offensive line is the safest way to go when it comes to picking high."

And from Pat Kirwan:
"In [2003-2006], 13 offensive linemen [were] drafted in the first round. [In 2006], they started 192 of 208 games: 92%...for a safe pick, go to the offensive line."

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 20, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Bos. It amazes me that given the evidence, so many people still choose to believe that JC is something that he appears not to be - a good quarterback whose had a really, really unfortunate run of bad luck.

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | October 20, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell prepares for whatever Monday brings"

Shouldn't be too difficult for JC to prepare for this one. It's not like anyone is expecting anything different from him:

Another loss. More excuses.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse