Campbell puts benching, last week's drama behind him

After being benched for the first time in his NFL career, quarterback Jason Campbell is scheduled to start tonight as the Redskins play host to the Philadelphia Eagles. And for the first time in 23 games, someone other than Coach Jim Zorn will direct the offense and communicate with Campbell on the field.

Campbell has tried to remain optimistic during the most difficult time in his five-year NFL career, he said, believing that the team's starting quarterback must set a positive example. Campbell, however, acknowledged he knows he might not stay atop the depth chart for remainder of the season -- or even for all of tonight's game -- but that's something for others to decide. He feels he has a responsibility to coaches and teammates who still believe in him, and he's committed to them.

"Just a crazy, crazy week," Campbell said in a recent phone interview. "There's just been so much stuff going on. It seems like every day we were like the soap opera for the NFL. It was just one thing after another, and you wish it didn't have to be like this because you don't need the distractions when you're trying to focus on winning football games, but the bottom line is we have a job to do. We have to put all the other stuff out of our minds and just focus on what we have to do against the Eagles.

"I feel like guys had better energy [last week in practice] and now we've just got to take that to the field. Really, it's just all about staying positive, sticking together and believing in each other. No matter what's going on off the field, who's calling plays or whatever, we have to stick together now. If we don't do that, nothing will work for us and we won't be able to still try to accomplish anything. That's the most important thing. Right now, that's where everybody's head needs to be."

Owner Daniel Snyder stripped Zorn of play-calling duties after the 14-6 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs at FedEx Field -- in which Zorn demoted Campbell at halftime in favor of longtime backup Todd Collins -- and new offensive consultant Sherman Lewis will direct the offense on game days. But Lewis has been with the organization for almost weeks, is not well-versed in the Redskins' running game or pass-protection schemes and as of last week still was unfamiliar with the strengths and weaknesses of Washington's personnel.

The Redskins have added an additional step to the play-calling process as Lewis, who will sit in the coaches' box, will give the play call to offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, who will stand on the sideline and relay the information to Campbell. Zorn dealt directly with Campbell in his first 22 games as Washington's head coach and play-caller.

Campbell acknowledged adding a step to the process could present challenges because of the play clock, but "we've just got to make it work," he said. "A decision was made to have coach Lewis call the plays and that's just way it is. I know Coach Zorn really enjoys calling the games, but that's not the way it is right now and everyone just has to do their job.

"I know coach Sherman Smith will do a good job getting the plays in to me. We worked on it a couple of days [during practice] and I think that helped everyone to see it doesn't have to be a problem. You know that [delays of game penalties] could happen, but we'll see how everything is going and make adjustments is we have to."

If things are rough from the outset, the Redskins could use their no-huddle, shotgun package. Campbell calls the plays in that formation -- from Zorn's pre-approved list -- and he has thrived doing so in the last two seasons under Zorn. But the team's options in the running game are very limited in the shotgun, and there are other drawbacks in terms of offensive variety. "Jason doesn't have to be in the shotgun to be effective. He's effective because he's a good quarterback," said Smith, among Campbell's strongest supporters in the organization. "Jason can make all the throws, he goes through his progressions and he's smart. Obviously, we're all in this together, and I'm confident Jason will do everything he can to help us make it work."

Campbell was among many players who have publicly supported Zorn during the disappointing 2-4 start, and Campbell has continued to back Zorn despite being benched after halftime against Kansas City. On his radio show Friday, Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, said Zorn would remain in his position for the rest of the season, "and that's good for the team," Campbell said. "Just to know Coach Zorn will be here and we don't have to keep answering questions about him all the time ... that's definitely something we've been waiting to hear."

As for Campbell's situation, he is playing behind what one longtime NFL official on another team recently described as one of the league's worst offensive lines. Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels, sidelined since Oct. 11 after suffering a severe neck injury, will sit out the remainder of the season and has told people in the organization he plans to retire because of the threat of paralysis if he continues to play, league sources said. Second-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly has lost the starting flanker spot to second-year wideout Devin Thomas, who only has 19 catches in 22 games, and second-year pass-catching tight end Fred Davis still has not inspired confidence with his understanding of the playbook.

Campbell revealed that his concern about pass protection last week affected his performance on the field. Campbell could be in his final 10 games with the team, but he "really isn't thinking about the future," he said. "A lot of stuff has happened, I want to have a chance to be successful and I've had a lot of people tell me they respect what I've been able to do as a young quarterback in this league. But I don't know what's going to happen down the road. I just know what I need to go out and do against the Eagles."

My prediction: Eagles 27, Redskins 3.

By Jason Reid  |  October 26, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dungy: Why midseason changes rarely work
Next: All eyes -- and opinions -- focus on play-calling

Comments

Campbell is lost.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"but that's something for others to decide"

"I want to have a chance to be successful"

JC, you're in charge of your destiny, your paly determines your playing time/status on depth chart, as well as your success..play well and you'll be successful, and your future will be wide open for you...LEAD this team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Damn, 27-3... it was kind of hard to hear the prediction at the end of that video a few threads ago (yes, patting myself on the back for watching to the end) but I thought this is what he said.

I sure as hell hope it doesn't turn out that way, but I definitely see where Reid is coming from.

I'd like to think that if he were getting a sense from the locker room of real fire in their bellies, lust for mayhem, or even the veneer of lingering professional pride, he would be predicting a much closer score. This prediction says to me that the beat reporter, who probably spends more time with these dudes than with his family, sees that they have given up.

Ugh... beer me...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 26, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Not sure the Eagles put up 27 on our D. We held them to 3 points the last time we played and I think our D is better now. More like 17-10 Eagles. We get 1 junk TD late and fail to recover the onsides kick.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 26, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering where we were going to get the "3"?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 26, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It don't make much difference what play is called -- or who calls it -- if they can't/won't execute it.

- Offensive unit will still be unable to make first downs, sustain drives, score points

- CP26 stretch run to the left will still go for a 3 yard loss.

- JC17 pass upfield will still fall either 3 yards short of the marker or incomplete.

- Punts to ARE will still result in a fair catches/near fumbles/no gains.

- Fat Albert will still be sprawled out like a beached whale, sucking wind.

- Redskin D backs will still be prancing around like prom queens

- JZ will still be the most clueless coach in NFL history

- Vinny will still be spinning his lies and schemes

- Big Dan will stil be raking his cash, grimy hand over tightly clenched fist, stopping only occasionally to offer a middle fingered salute to the world

Posted by: Vic1 | October 26, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

My prediction: Eagles 27, Redskins 3.

By Jason Reid

Yeah that same Eagles teamt that couldn't score 27 against the Raiders.

Posted by: jm220 | October 26, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Always surprises me when people think the skins will win or lose by a large margin. It just doesn't happen that often. As bad as they are, they generally play people close.

Posted by: Gweez | October 26, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else see Casserly (last GM to build a division winner in DC) prove that the problem was not the play calls but Soups reads on the NFL Today yesterday?

Posted by: Realness1 | October 26, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

they basically did the same thing real Friday night on NFL Live....I think its probably a 60/40 split with play calling, and JC's making the throws...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | October 26, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Here's Casserly's video evidence.

I'd been a JC17 defender in the past... Started to sour on him this season. But this is devastating stuff...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 26, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Realness I didn't see it but it's not all on Zorn, it's not all on Campbell, it's not all on the WR's, it's not all on the O line.

Needless to say take a bad playcaller, poorly chosen WR's, add in a bad O-line so that you have a QB who's never checked down to save his life and you get a disaster called your Washington Redskins.

Posted by: Gweez | October 26, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

How the heck are we going to get 3?

Posted by: peterandmeredith | October 26, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, as Beantown said, play well and win and youre the toast of the town, play awful and lose and youre simply toast.

Posted by: arbano1 | October 26, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering where we were going to get the "3"?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 26, 2009 11:16 AM

A safety and a CFL style rouge.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 26, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Here is what the Redskins problems and needs are*:

EVERYTHING

* not saying some solutions don't exist on roster/FO/Staff...but if they are they are being poorly utilized.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 26, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

but if they are they are being poorly utilized.

truer words were never spoken....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Me tonight ... Come home from work. Already upset because it's gameday and I am not excited. I pop a beer, fire up the grill, put on my jersey, and start fooling myself into believing that somehow Sherm will make us winners and that anything is possible. Then kickoff ... I get really excited and declare to my wife and dogs that we will win! The first quarter will be close and I will get even more convinced that an upset is in the making and that our season is about to turn around. Then we will get destroyed for the next three quarters and I will return to reality ... Which is my beloved Skins suck. F Snyder and especially F Vinny with an AIDS dick :-)

Posted by: sjw1 | October 26, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"My prediction: Eagles 27, Redskins 3."

Redskins might be a terrible team, but the Eagles are incredibly overrated.

Redskins haven't put up points on anyone this year so 3 is a safe bet.

But giving the eagles 27? They've blown out some bad defenses but they aren't any better then the Giants.

My prediction Eagles 17 Redskins 6

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 26, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I wish Snyder would put Vinny behind him.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 26, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

well, that diseased dick does get around...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 26, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Hard to belive this is tougher for Jason Campbell then his team trying to deal him twice durring the offseason.

Posted by: The_Spear | October 26, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Three chants for tonight:
SELL THE TEAM
FIRE VINNY
SNYDER SUCKS

Posted by: sickaboutit | October 26, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sounds familiar, Johnny.

Too bad its one of many porblems...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 26, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Three chants for tonight:
SELL THE TEAM
FIRE VINNY
SNYDER SUCKS

Posted by: sickaboutit
------------------------------

All that will be drowned out by all the fans from up 95 screaming, E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES. I bet the fan situation is worse then the Pittsburgh game last year.

Posted by: The_Spear | October 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

yup, yup - I'll say this; normally, when the 'Skins are on Monday night, I really can't focus at work - I haven't even thought of the game today...it's a sad state of affairs.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

_____
First of Samuels wasn't hurt when the Skins scored 9 pts vs the Rams or lost to the Lions when he threw 3 picks vs the Bucs or most of the lost to the Panthers.. Besides these were all crappy teams.. most with lousy defensive lines. Lets' not pretend the Skins lost to the Ravens or Steelers here.. team with good DL's. I use to think Campbell was medioce.. but I was wrong he's just plain BAD!! and anyone who say's he is not a big part of the blame is clueless..

Posted by: sovine08 | October 26, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 26, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

You missed the entire point of that.

Later, Casserly said, "Here's the bigger issue. When Campbell was drafted he was drafted for the Joe Gibbs offense, which is more of a downfield passing game. He does not fit the West Coast offense, which is a quick rhythm passing game. ... He's a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. He doesn't fit the system and that's the bottom line."

Why blame JC for this? It isn't his fault. It's the team's fault for trying to run a scheme that goes against the players strengths. Read his scouting report. It tells you that he has trouble making decisions and that he has a slow release. If we knew that then why are we making him fire through reads in a WCO? We need to either play the Gibbs/Coryell system JC is better suited for or get rid of JC. Now, once JC is gone we're going to find that nobody else we have except for Chris Cooley is capable of exceeding in a WCO. We don't have the elusive YAC receivers, the pass catching RB, or the quick zone blocking linemen necassary for WCO either. This will become apparanet after we get a new QB though. If we want to effectively run a WCO then we need to realize that we're about 3 years away personnel wise.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"... Owner Daniel Snyder stripped Zorn of play-calling duties after the 14-6 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs at FedEx Field ...." -JReid

This is the first time I've seen this in writing (i.e., that the basis for Vinny's "strong suggestion" was a mandate from The Owner), but I suspected this to be the case anyway.

Because this is a division game, my take on tonight's game is much closer to Mike Wise's 17-14 than it is to Mayor "Go for the Easy Pundit Repetition" Reid's 27-3. The Skins' D hasn't come close to allowing 27 points (yet) and they always have a little something special for McNabb ... I anticipate a friendly visit between Albert Haynesworth and McNabb's still-recuperating ribs. Hopefully, that doesn't happen till the second half ... because Kolb is more of a threat than McNabb against the Skins' D.

Posted by: dcsween | October 26, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

here is how lost the skins are. My girlfriend planed a "couples" date for us and some friends to my favorite Italian place in the area, then I said, "why would u do that during a skins game?" She was like, "S*** I did not know, want to cancel?" I was like "meh, I actually don't care anymore and would rather the best pizza in DC n some veal angelica".

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Random thought...

[Not looking ahead, of course, since they're right in the thick of the race for a championship here in the '09 season]

Posted by: 4-12 | October 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Casserly is right! He was a great GM both in DC and in Houston. Those 2 Superbowls that Houston won with his drafts and FA signings are proof of that. JZ is a genius play caller, naturally it's all JC's fault for misreading.

I mean, the genius of calling a stretch run to the left for the 6th consecutive time is that the defense would NEVER be expecting it! Come on... you called it on first, second, third AND fourth down. In the red zone! They'd never expect it AGAIN!

Going empty backfield and calling a play with all the routes within 8 yards of the LOS is GENIUS when the FS is playing 10 yards deep. If the whole defense is within 10 yards, they'll NEVER expect EVERY receiver to run some sort of a curl, dig, or short out. NEVER. If Campbell doesn't fire that pass as soon as he plants after the third step, it's his fault. Somebody's open, right?

I tell you, Zorn is a genius.

James A. Zorn, genius.... James A. Zorn, SUPER-genius!

Mark my words, 3 years from now when the Saint Louis Rams are confounding the league, it will be James A. Zorn, head coach, at the helm.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 26, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

So who's going to the game tonight? Anybody? sween?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

My bet is Campbell doesn't make it to the end of the game. He'll either get benched or injured. Philly has been weak against the run and if the Redskins can establish the threat of a running game early, then maybe it will take some heat off the pass blockers. Still, if I am the Philly d-coordinator, I blitz every down until Campbell beats me or CP breaks one for a long run.

BTW Mayor, don't you think 27-3 is really disrespecting the defense? I don't think Blache is going to let Philly hang 27 on his defense...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"...But the team's options in the running game are very limited in the shotgun, and there are other drawbacks in terms of offensive variety."

Actually, the team's offensive options diminish sometime after kickoff.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Random thought...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 26, 2009 11:54 AM

That's technically correct. But since a super bowl team like the 'Skins picks at the end of each round, it's really the same as 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8. Plus we'll probably get a few compensatory picks when we lose guys in free agency -- Campbell, Rogers. Oh, and we'll probably trade Betts for a 2nd or a 3rd, same as every year on RI.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

We need to stop pretending that x is the problem or y is the problem. The truth is that there are about 10 problems with this offense. Fixing the play calling may help a little but we also have issue with personnel too. Here's my list of issues.

#1 play calling/offensive scheme
#2 offensive line
#3 broken down old RB
#4 QB
#5 WRs are not devloping

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to the game.

I expect the offense to be better than under Zorn. Yes, it is the same players, and the same stupid WCO passing game. But, for reasons explained above, it's gotta be better.

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

So who's going to the game tonight? Anybody? sween?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM

The owner and his posse will be there.

Other than that the stadium will be packed with Eagles fans.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

4-12

"...Am I figuring this out correctly, that the Skins have a 1, 2, (no 3rd, Jarmon), 4, 5, (no 6, JT), and 7 in the '10 draft?..."

Yeah, sure.

I say we search the roster for some players who can be flipped for more picks.

Has the trade dealine passed?

I'd move S Moss if I could get a third rounder for him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Forgot about the comp picks, L-S. Plus, Betts is clearly going to fetch a 2nd AND a 3rd, so that's, what, 10 picks total?
Gotta be 4 WR, 2 TE, 2 punters, and a kicker, plus a whole extra pick for a "best available."
The future looks bright, indeed.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering where we were going to get the "3"?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 26, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

_____________

Safety and an extra point.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

moe, deadline was 10/20....that dog wont hunt...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Philly has been weak against the run and if the Redskins can establish the threat of a running game early...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 26, 2009 11:58 AM

With Redskins backs, the game is slowed down somewhat and we refer to it as a walking game. It will work if the Eagles agree to count to three after the snap before moving.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

moe, deadline was 10/20....that dog wont hunt...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM

This is a reference to Michael Vick?

Dog will hunt again before the draft. We're gonna be dealing.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

New plan: Grease up the tennis balls on the bottom of CPs walker!! He can just glide right into the end zone...Championship!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 26, 2009 11:55 AM

I am guessing this is sarcasm? Hard to tell, especially since the Redskins did win the Superbowl when Casserly was the GM during the 1991 season. He didn't do much of anything after that though, granted.

Still, his analysis makes sense to me. The interview with his Auburn coach fits with Casserly's appraisal too: at Auburn his senior year they were running a WCO, but they took out some of the shorter passing game and put in more intermediate and long passing plays...to take advantage of JC's strengths.

Take advantage of JC's strengths.

That seems to be what Zorn is having a hard time doing. He is not doing a great job of adjusting his "scheme" to players' strengths. That, and players at lots of important positions suck.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 26, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17 - you are right - and #'s 2 - 5 are the fault of Vinny. We should be building our roster through solid drafting each year - seen any of that lately? Vinny couldn't catch a draft if he were between two open doors! Look at what Ozzie is doing up the road. He gets contributors in every round of the draft. AND he gets players with some attitude! If the Danny-boy doesn't see his problem lies with Vinny, he should sell - like YESTERDAY!

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

In a season's worth of disappointments already, Campbell has stood out as one of the biggest... with his questionable work ethic, lacksadaisical attitude, continuing inability to make even the easiest of plays... and so on and so forth.

The main reason that the Skins are so damned predictable and easy to defend against is that the coaches have continually had to dumb down the playbook, reads, routes, protection schemes, etc., in an effort to accommodate the ever so many shortcomings of this worthless excuse for a pro quarterback.

The guy is simply a walking, talking testimonial to mediocrity and cluelessness.

The sooner this town is rid of this loser, the better!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

All right, we have three hours.
Didn't you ever cram for a test before?

I learned two semesters
of geology in three hours.
-Harold Ramis in Stripes

C'mon Sherm! study study, school's your buddy!

Posted by: MonkMossMann | October 26, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

bean

'...deadline was 10/20....that dog wont hunt...'

Wow.

Another argument for a GM is all this is.

It's also begs the question of why the trade deadline is so early in the year.

Shouldn't a team going no where be able to dismantle and eject before going completely down the tubes?

If you've got a failing roster replete with underachieving players, doncha want try to get some value by flipping players for picks?

I mean, if there is a market for the likes of Rogers, Cooley, and Moss, wouldn't you want to collect picks.

I'm just saying.

And I got one other thing to say.

GO YANKS!!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post is to the Washington Redskins as Fox News is to the White House.

27-3? The same team that just came off a loss to the Raiders? The same team the Redskins beat twice last year? The Saints, Colts, and Patriots could put up 27 on the Skins defense. But not the Eagles. It's called a blitzing, Mr. Reid. The Eagles are hurt on the o-line as well. And the Raiders exposed it. I don't think the Raiders have quite the front four the Redskins do. So why shouldn't a similar outcome be expected?

Posted by: KellRawLive | October 26, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

moe, grats on the yanks...

anyone catch the ball fakes that Favre, and Rothlesburger do, in order to freeze/move a safety/defender??

this is a qb driven league...further divided up by the have's and the have-nots at that position...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Take advantage of JC's strengths."

If indecision and insecurity are his strenghts, I'll take his weaknesses, thank you.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I think, though, that J. Reid is in a depression spiral regarding the Redskins, like many fans...his responses in the last Q and A were flat - yes, no, the Redskins won't win another game...but why would 27-3 be an outlandish prediction for this game? It's not, given all the evidence that we've seen thus far this year. The offense can't get off the field quick enough, the defense CAN'T get off the field on third down. No reason to think the Eagles won't score an average amount of points, and the 'Skins won't score any, until proven otherwise tonight.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

So Quinton Ganther is 5'9'' and 214. I can easily see him becoming a power running back. We should use him to pound the ball and then throw deep often to Devin Thomas and Moss. I know it's basic Gibbs/Coryell but we might actually score more than 6 points with this system. Can the WCO crap and save that until we have the personnel.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The thing that plagues the playcalling is the same problem that plagues everyone else; nothing works on a complete level. You've got a QB that only plays well for half a game, a RB that only runs well for about a quarter, maybe two, WRs that show zero consistency whatsoever, an offensive line that's basically an complete wild-card from one play to the next, and playcalling that's only about 50% effective in manipulating the defense. Some plays, it'll be a nice play call, a good route, and a bad pass that ruins the play (first half against KC). Other times it'll be a nice play call, a nice pass, and a dropped catch that ruins the play (Devin Thomas late against Carolina, Mike Sellers in the red zone against STL). Other times it's a nice play call, a nice route, and zero time for the QB to throw in the pocket (essentially the entire Carolina game). And still other times, it's just a plain bad play call where the offense has no chance of success from the beginning (the entire first half against TB).

It's very, very rare to see a nice play call, a nice route, a nice pass, and solid protection all clicking on the same play. Every time a play fails, there always seems to be a new culprit. You'd generally think that over time, the law of averages works itself out, and you start to see more and more total connections, but this team has it so far in their heads, from the coaches on down, that they beat themselves even before the game starts.

Until a true leader steps up for this offense and demands perfection, this will continue to go on. This offense has noticeably regressed as this season has progressed, and each passing day, there seems to be another excuse or another way of convincing themselves that it's ok, it'll all work out if they continue to do what their doing already. It's become straight depressing to listen to. This is an offense with no leadership.

But maybe, just maybe, Sherman Lewis is the man to bring it to them. Of course, I know that's just my delusional side talking right now.

Posted by: psps23 | October 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KellRawLive | October 26, 2009 12:16 PM

The Washington Redskins are to NFL football as the Bush White House is to American Presidencies.

Posted by: League-Source | October 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 26, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

You know what you need to do Bubba? Throw the ball down field when a DE blatently jumps offsides, not dump it off to RB for a gain of 5 (bush league, Jason, bush league). You are not a young QB anymore so stop using that excuse, you are in your 5th year! You cant seem to find the guys wearing the same color jersey as yourself unless they are in the flats. Santanna said it best, "C'mon, man its been five years and you dont know me?" Playing behind this line shouldnt be anything new, its only slightly worse this year than last. If you dont want to wind up like TC you better learn to adapt to your surroundings, and make whats avaliable to you work for you.

Posted by: murphyz | October 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Asante Samuel is pre-visualizing a pick 6 off a slant to Moss and so am I.

Screens and draws, take several shots down field where an INT amounts to a punt anyway.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

F-off J Reid. We beat this team twice last year with the same sh!ddy offense. Skins win and the D has 6 sacks.

Posted by: dcwun | October 26, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is nice guy but not NFL material. His inability to improve has cost himself millions of dollars. There are only 32 starting NFL QB's in the world and there is no indication he should be one of them. While he is not all of the problem he has never been part of the solution. The end of this season can't come soon enough.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | October 26, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

for the first time in my life of following the Redskins, dating back to Norm Snead and Ralph Gul (Notre Dame QB sp?)....I don't care what happens tonite - I'm not the least bit interested in watching....its all yakety-yak, marketing and glitz until somebody gets in there who knows what they are doing...where is George Allen when we need him ? this team is boring, sucks and I'll wait for the next edition.

Posted by: outrbnksm | October 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The headline says it all, "Campbell Puts Benching, Last Week's Drama (read criticism) Behind Him."

He will learn nothing from any of this, and resume imagining that 8 of 12 for 89 yards is a good outing. He is just too stupid to improve.

In fact, he is exactly like Ramsey. Dumb as a brick, unable to read defenses, and standing in the pocket paralyzed with indecision.

Posted by: tkoho | October 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

it's particularly polarizing to see Crabtree step right out onto the field literally off the street and contribute immediately to the SF passing game. I don't know if it's bad luck or poor scouting that left us with two underachieving 2nd year WR's. Probably a little of both. Either way it's still Vinny's fault for drafting them in the first place instead of upgrading the O-line. I really dislike Cerrato, not just because he's the worst GM ever, but because he refuses to accept responsibility for the poor state of the O-line.

Posted by: ralston21 | October 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If anything, Ramsey became shell-shocked due to a constant lack of protection. For a young QB, the lack of time & constant pressure to make a decision & make it three times as fast, can be a development killer. This line is actually worse than the no-protect schemes of Spurrier. So to say the QB's are dumb & unable to read coverages is missing the point.

Posted by: KellRawLive | October 26, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

What is the chance that next training camp everyone (including the W Post) will say how Kelly is having a great camp. Davis has matured. Portis is practicing every day. Campbell is throwing the ball early and seeing the entire field.

Then the pre-season starts and we see the same ol'thing!!!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | October 26, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Three chants for tonight:
SELL THE TEAM
FIRE VINNY
SNYDER SUCKS

Posted by: sickaboutit | October 26, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

We could really freak everyone out and start chanting "BEAT LA"

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | October 26, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

mmm veal my favorite......

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1 | October 26, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I watched Sunday Night Football last evening and saw two wonderful quarterbacks.

Granted they both had excellent OLines and decent run games (Arazona not so much) and recevers who can run and catch. And,Oh by the way, they both have very good GMs and experienced coaches.

Still it is doubtful that JC can ever be the decisive passer that Kurt Warner is or even Manning Jr!

But we will never know how good he can be until JC is fortunate enough to make it to another team who has some of these missing ingredients!

Another Trent Green?

Posted by: dotto | October 26, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Take advantage of JC's strengths."

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 26, 2009 12:20 PM

Fair enough. But seriously, no one thought that Rypien was a Championship level QB (Rypien was NOT GOOD in 1990). Or DWilliams.

Clearly Campbell is no Peyton Manning (three offensive systems in his entire football life, btw). Campbell has some good tools, and some weaknesses. It's up to coaches to figure out how to make his strengths work at the pro level while minimizing his weaknesses. This WCO system as Zorn has constructed it seems to do the opposite. Yeah Campbell is playing poorly. But I still agree with Casserly, square peg round hole.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 26, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Iggles 38
Skins 7

I predict a 4 int game from the Campbell/Collins combo, along with a CP fumble thrown in for good measure. At least one of the ints will be returned for 6, with the others setting up Philly in good field position. The redskins D is decent, but what good offenses have they played so far? Philly will be looking to prove something tonight after a terrible loss last week - if their offense comes to play this one will be out of reach by the second quarter.

Posted by: Axel2 | October 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm saying 42-10.

Posted by: Keiser | October 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"Lets Stay Medium" Hip Hip Hooray!!!

Posted by: cwebbone | October 26, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse