Campbell: Redskins' last 3 games do matter

With many at Redskins Park awaiting the long-anticipated announcement that Mike Shanahan will be the team's next coach, the Redskins tonight face the New York Giants at FedEx Field.

At his introductory news conference last week, new football-operations chief Bruce Allen said he would evaluate Jim Zorn and the coaching staff over the remainder of the season before making any decisions, but it has been clear for some time that Zorn would not keep his job, team sources said. Amid more upheaval in an organization known for it, the Redskins' offense is playing at its highest level in the brief Zorn era.

"Guys have just taken it on themselves to block out everything else and just focus on doing their jobs," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "You know there's a lot of stuff out there, and you constantly get asked about different things [by reporters], but getting caught up in that won't help you do your job.

"I know one of the things I've been telling guys all year is that we just have to take pride in what we're doing and stick together. The thing I feel good about is that we've done that. We haven't let certain things become a distraction. You can look at what we've been doing as an offense and see that."

Campbell declined to comment on the buzz in the organization that Shanahan is expected to replace Zorn shortly after the season ends because "that has nothing to do with me. I'm sure Bruce Allen will make the decisions he feels are best for the franchise, but all I can control is how hard I work to be the best quarterback I can be for this team. We only have three games left, but I never spent time thinking about those things [possible changes in the organization] and I'm not going to do it now.

"Some people might not think it matters what we do in these last three games because we're out of it [reaching the playoffs], but it matters to me. It matters to me that we go out there and put our best foot forward because that's what you do as a professional. I'm the quarterback of this team and a captain. I don't care what's happened this year or what we've had to deal with.

"We have to play like it matters because it does matter. That's the approach you have to take and that's what we've done. I know guys are going to go out there [tonight] and keep playing just as hard as they have all year. And then whatever happens at the end of the year, you know, then that's what it'll be."

By Jason Reid  |  December 21, 2009; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Analysis: 'There are no guarantees'
Next: Fletcher appreciates Blache's endorsement

Comments

a couple of things to ponder up here. . .

1. if shanny is really the coach then wade is gone - makes no sense to have 2 former broncos coaches in the NFC. . .whiskey tango, what's next? Dan reeves replaces the embattled coughlin?

2. having lived in the Denver area through the SBs and post-Elway era, here's what I remember about the QB's shanny had starting for him after Elway retired: Bubby Brister, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Cutler. . .all looked like much better qb's when playing in Shanny's offense then they had/have anywhere else. . .Shanny figures out what a QB can do well and tailors the approach to that. . .I personally would like to see what he can do w/ JC. . .

HTTR

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 21, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

well said JC. Now, go out and win.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Shanahan the coach, but the idea of Shanahan the team president -- yuck.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

What is the difference between Shanahan without Elway and Jim Zorn? Give Zorn a solid line, then see what happens.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2009 1:10 PM |

Let me anwser this again for those who can't read.

4 playoff appearances plus a AFC championship without Elway.

Zorn has won 11 games

Your right they are identical keep Zorn he is great.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ich habe meine Unterhosen verschmutzt.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Injury updates? Gano? Heyer? AH?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Is JC no worse than 16th best QB in the League?

Does JC have any upside in that if given a better line he could be in the top 10?

I think yes to both, and I also think there are Zero FA or Draftees for which the answer to both is yes next year. I think whatever happens at HC, JC is an obvious keeper unless somebody makes Danny an a stupid offer that Danny is famous for making to others, LOL.

Posted that last thread before i read JC's comments... JC is a professional and a warrior. Can you say the same about Cutler for example?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Of course the last 3 games matter.

One of things I'm getting a good chuckle at is how the "keep Zorn" crowd seems to think that the team is rallying and playing better lately on account of their courageous head coach.

These guys are playing their tails off b/c THEY NEED JOBS! Whether it's playing to impress here or putting something on film for when they get cut.

They're not playing for Gipper Zorn.

They're playing for future employment.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ich habe meine Unterhosen verschmutzt.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Then go change yourself...

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Some people might not think it matters what we do in these last three games because we're out of it [reaching the playoffs], but it matters to me. It matters to me that we go out there and put our best foot forward because that's what you do as a professional."

I don't doubt that JC means this sincerely. But he also has about $40 million riding on these last few games. Yea, it matters alright.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I think they are playing because there are guys in the locker room like JC, London, Phil Daniels and even AH who refuse to let them punk out and roll over.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ich habe meine Unterhosen verschmutzt.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I had that once in college, they make a cream for it now.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Totally agreed. THank God we didn't get Cutler. If JC kills it these last three games and some other team matches or beats our offer, I will wish him well. But I really hope we're able to keep him for many years.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21

Why?

Posted by: p1funk | December 21

One argument would be: does anyone remember who picked maurice clarett in the 3rd round?

many similar and worse moves in ashburn over the same period of time,so if that's the downside, it's all upside. . .

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 21, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I think JC17 leaves tonight with a concussion. He has been lucky to last this long.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

They are playing hard because, for the most part, they're a bunch of young guys who know this is their big chance.

These young dudes are hungry and it shows.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 21, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21

Why?

Posted by: p1funk | December 21

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 21, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Not sure why some folks look down on Shanny's personnel moves.

Not every move/pick works out, but he's had some pretty good ones.

He got Brandon marshall in the 4th round.

Elvis Dumerveil was a a 2nd day draft pick.

DJ Williams has started at all 3 LB positions for the Broncos.

Certainly struck gold with Ryan Clady.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: p1funk

Shanahan is a terrific coach and a mediocre GM. Plus, the guys who try to do both jobs at once rarely succeed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Bye Jason.

You're days as a Redskin are numbered and that happens to be 3.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins win their last three, and I think it is very possible, and Snyder fires Zorn, I will be very upset. Here is the deal: Zorn can't call plays. However, he can teach and get guys to play hard. He would have 15-17 in two years with one of the worse offensive lines over those two years.

Now, if Shanahan comes there is no guarantee that things will turn-around anytime soon. When Zorn was hired, he said that it would take 3 years to get things clicking. Here we have Campbell finally clicking with an offense. He is on the cusp of a 90+ quarterback and rating. It clear he is getting comfortable. It is also clear (and Sherman Lewis has a lot to do with this) that Zorn's offense is being tailored to fit his skils--WHAT GIBBS DRAFTED HIM FOR. Deep shots, quick hits, corner routes, go routes. Notice tonight how few crossing routes there for the primary receiver. I just cannot stand not having consistency.

Someone above said that Shanahan had 4 playoff appearances and 1 AFC championship game post-Elway. Well, that is true. But of course ZORN HAS NOT COACHED TWO FULL YEARS YET. So, that is a false comparison because the sample size is too small.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm awfully sorry to say this, but on some level I'm rooting for the Giants tonight. The Giants with a win would be one game behind the Cowboys for the sixth and final playoff spot in the NF of C. The Falcons are two games behind the Cowboys, plus they are hamstrung by the fact that they are the Falcons.

What I'm saying is, lacking a third choice, I would rather see the Giants in the playoffs than the Cowboys.

But of course I want the Redskins to clobber the Giants tonight. Don't get me wrong. Just trying to keep one eye on the big picture. This big picture being the march towards a postseason tournament in which my beloved Redskins will not be participating. Again. *sigh*

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | December 21, 2009 1:37 PM

Or Terrell Davis in the 6th
Or Olandis Gary in the 4th
Or Mike Anderson in the 6th
Or Clinton Portis in the 2nd (then traded for a 2nd and HOF Champ Bailey
Or Brandon Marshall in the 4th
Or Rod Smith (UFA)

And don't forget we surrendered a first, third, and fourth round pick for the 25th overall pick and drafted JC.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 1:28 PM |

It is more like (a) the team is going to have a major rebuild and there are a lot worse places than Ashburn in the NFL and (b) some are playing because of career aspirations.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So...and I'm the first to say Shanny wasn't my first choice...but so you're saying that we would be getting a terrific HC and a decent GM...doesn't that beat the hell out of a mediocre HC (at best, I mean I like JZ but he's been at best avg to date) and a non-existent/incompetent VP Football Ops?

I like skinsfan8KaboveMSL's line "if that's the downside, it's all upside"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The voices tell me Gano yes, Haynesworth yes, Heyer no

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The Jints are still alive for the playoffs and need this game badly.

So it will be a good test to see just how far the Redskins offense has "come along" - as some people say - if they can put up enough points to win tonight.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If all these reporters really knew that Shanahan was coming, then how do you explain them all dropping the ball on Bruce Allen being hired?

I think they all looked foolish and out-of-the-loop by not getting the Allen hire leak, and now they are overcompensating by printing every Shanahan rumor that is out there.

These guys (especially J Reid), don't know ish. They're just faking it. It's kinda pathetic.

Posted by: Salinas1 | December 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is still the head coach, and he is still under contract for another year. I say give him an offensive line and see what happens.

Enough with this instant gratification sickness! Give this team a chance to mature and develop with a solid OL.

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Like all GM's, Shanahan made lots of decisions and some were good, some weren't. But overall, he wasn't that great at it.

I've never understood why owners wou,d want one guy to hold both GM and coach jobs. The GM needs to spend lots of time looking out -- at other teams, college and pro, to see what is available. The HC needs to focus inwardly on the team.

Very different jobs.

We're all familiar with the long hours a HC works. I can't imagine having another 60-80 hr/week job on top of it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Salinas. Shanny may well be hired, but to act like it's a done deal...I think it's silly

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If Dallas flames out in the playoffs as they always do, I'd be surprised if Shanahan wasn't their No. 1 choice to replace Wade Phillips. I seriously think that the WaPo writers are jumping to conclusions based on rumors. Shanahan is the top guy for probably every job opening in the league and he may take the Dallas one when it opens up.

I won't believe Shanahan is our new coach until he's introducted.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 21, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

just looked at the AFC wild card standings. Crazy. Two teams at 8-6 (Denver and Baltimore) hold the slots now. And 6 teams are 7-7.

I'm rooting for an 8 way tie, all at 8-8.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

strange year, they beat both philly and Pittsburgh, both Denver and Cincy ... 'they' would be the Oakland Raiders

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Georgetown lost to ODU.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 21, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This past weekend was further evidence that a good kicker is invaluable.

When Nick Folk pulled a Suisham and blew that 24-yarder that would have put the Cowgirls up by 10, I was sure they were going to lose.

Then yesterday, Jay Feely missed a 38-yarder wide right and the Jets lost 10-7.

Ironically, I saw a headline earlier that said Suisham is being brought in to tryout for Dallas.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 21, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I'm shocked, just shocked! How are the Cowboys going to lose miserably and humiliatingly in the playoffs if they don't get there?

You'll root for the Skins and you'll like it.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 21, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Zorn is going to take back play calling now that Vinny is gone.

What do you guys think is the reason for our better play on O.

A. Sherm Lewis?
B. Better O line play?
C. Zorn?

I think its B and C.
Zorn still makes up the game plan, went to more 3 step drops, and I'm sure was putting his 2 cents worth in during the game.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I hear you. One could look at the glass half empty- easy to do after this year- but I look half full. It's a win-win; either we beat my 2nd most hated team, or we lose and put the most vile, wretched franchise in all the lands at serious risk of missing out on the playoffs...but as SMACK said, it would be cool to see Dallas choke yet again

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM |
-----------------------------------

The Falcons have already been eliminated.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1, was that your excuse in losing to me in Fantasy yesterday, that you were both the coach and GM? B/C I do both and I am in the championship baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

No way, Zorn took the ball out of JC's hands every time we hit the red zone. We had one of the worst red zone conversion percentages in the league. Now with Lewis letting Campbell throw we have 1 of the best. Sherm also pokes around at a defense in order to find a weakness. Once he finds it we abuse the crap out of it. Zorn never did that. He was satified with running his plays regardless of the defensive adjustments. Zorn was too predictable. How often did we throw on first down with Zorn calling the plays? The only time Zorn calls the plays is in the 2 minutes drill. When does our offense look terrible? Yeah, it's in the 2 minute drill.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Better offense lately? Attributable to the signing of Levi Jones to play left tackle. With Dockery at his side you have one pretty decent side of line. Center has been pretty steady if not overwhelming with Rabach. On the other side BMW and Heyer have held their own. Hopefully, BMW will get his "mojo" back and be able to slide into the right tackle position.

Jason took a lot of words two posts or so ago to say a very simple thing. As the ownership goes (Dan Snyder) so goes the Redskins, with Gibbs, or any other hall of fame coach and staff. Or quarterback for that matter. Its all on Snyder ... and if he doesn't get it and himself straightened out it is just going to more of the same frustration, angst, and junior high drama straight from the Breakfast Club.

Posted by: periculum | December 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

F Zorn....good riddance.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

coaches evaluation:
playbooks are virtually all the same, just different terminolagy. using plays to player strengths = strength. forcing players to plays = lots of losses.
responsibilities:
HC - time outs, 4th down plays, fg's/punts, challenges. who starts, substitions. JZ - D- at best.
OC - plays in proper order to keep defense on their heels. JZ - D- at best. Other three currently - B.
DC - C (very vanilla)
1 virtual need - a strong safety that can play his position (the pass when called upon). 2-3 off linemen and 2-3 LB's. RB's and RCVR's - adequate for now. TE-s great shape. QB - wait and see. still dont think he is a high quality WCO QB. He hasn't shown ability to win games just tries not to lose them.
Just a thought.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | December 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Any injury updates? Anybody?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 21, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

how about an update on shuisham's tryout ryp....same thing??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 21, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

PA, agreed, Zorn shouldn't have been calling plays or making any in game decisions (can't say anyone could have known this, except for the collapse last year 2nd half). If the Sherms had been calling the games from day one, who knows where we would be. Since they took over it hasn't been the offense that've been losing games. The doublemove twins, ST (ARE, Swishim wide, etc.) have cost games. Strange year it's been. From the start Superbowl baby!!, after five games, this team is hopeless, to now, if only.

Posted by: msrent | December 21, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mr. Redskin. I hadn't caught word that the Falcons were eliminated, I was just cruising the conference standings and forgot about tiebreakers, such as. Anyway, F the Falcons.

What I'm saying, SMACK, is I would rather have the Cowboys go gently into that good night rather than risking the possibility, however unlikely, that your beloved team get its first playoff victory of the millennium.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Morally corrupt"?!?!

I didn't know football had a Biblical dimension to it.

Maybe if there had been a culture of accountability in the team from the start of the season, they would have been playing their tails off.

But when players are allowed to perform at a mediocre level with no ramifications and still draw a paycheck, then the problem is with the leadership.

You can lay that at Zorn's feet.

Now that players are seeing people getting fired and demoted over the past couple weeks, suddenly guys are playing hungry.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 1:54 PM

Only if they win by 4 or more, and cover the **Coffee Flats** spread, and defeat that evil dcsween! Oakland? Carolina? That dcsween is a cheater!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Bean - no doubt Suisham will come back to kill us.

Didn't JZ have a presser today? How have we not heard anything?

Rooting for Cowboys over Giants to make playoffs. Sorry, I live in Giants country and I hate them. Plus I'm worried they could make noise once they got there - Cowboys you know will self destruct.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what the scale is for judging someone to be a "mediocre" GM. Shanny has hit on some pretty good picks over the years - along with a few bad ones.

But I agree that doing both is alot of work, which is why it's good to have Bruce Allen on board. My sense is that Shanny simply wants to be able to go and get players he wants, as opposed to having a roster of players handed to him. Bruce Allen will allow that and run the logistical side of things.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins are only playing hard to keep their jobs and not because Zorn and other coaches are keeping them motivated, then how to do explain teams like the Bears who's players have given up? Don't those players need a job? P1funk?

Posted by: VegasJim | December 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Or Terrell Davis in the 6th
Or Olandis Gary in the 4th
Or Mike Anderson in the 6th
Or Clinton Portis in the 2nd (then traded for a 2nd and HOF Champ Bailey
Or Brandon Marshall in the 4th
Or Rod Smith (UFA)

And how many of these draft successes play on the defensive side of the ball? Until we see Shanahan draft successfully (or even attempt to draft) for both halves of the team I'm going to have my doubts.

Posted by: zimbar | December 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Again, Snyder-Shanahan-Allen would be a far sight better than Snyder-Cerrato-Zorn, but good grief, that's not saying much, is it?

I was hoping for a pecking order of [football czar]-[general manager]-[head coach] with Snyder auspiciously absent... but that just ain't happening, is it? Unless Shanahan is the football czar and not the head coach, which I highly doubt.

F this... friggin' franchise in turmoil dramatics... it's December, I should be totally psyched about this snowy cold NFC East showdown under the lights, but instead my thoughts turn to the offseason and the front office... and Owner, The... ugh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Denver's draft/home grown defenders were'nt that bad....it was more whiffing on the Def FA.

But he will have less power than in Denver with Bruce Allen around.

People are you really bellyaching over A. something that hasn't happened yet. and B. a move that would be a SIGNIFIGANT upgrade over was has transpired previously?

C'mon think people.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It was reported here a few weeks ago that the staff made adjustments to the passing game.

I just wonder who made that call.
From what I understand Lewis barely speaks to JC or any player for that matter during practice.
Besides his first 4 games calling plays were no better then Zorn, we still couldn't score. Minus the Denver game, but we have Hunter to thank for that.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I am psyched about the next three games. We can play HUGE spolier against NFC East foes and make Norv look bad! AND all without the worry that cheap late season wins help save Vinny's j-o-b...I say all things considered not a bad way to enjoy the seasons last gasps considering how surealisticaly bad most of the season has been.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the Skins offensive improvement was a direct correlation of solidifying the OL. With Levi Jones at LT and Williams at RG -- the pass protection finally allowed Campbell to complete his progressions. Lewis and Zorn were less consequential vs good player execution...

Posted by: siris | December 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on rather seeing Giants make playoffs, if I had to chose.

Dallas can still miss the playoffs if the Redskins win tonight.

IF

Giants lose tonight and win against Carolina and Vikings. And Dallas loses against WAS and PHI.

Both teams would be 9-7 with NYG owning the tiebreaker.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | December 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, I haven't been watching the Bears lately...have you?

I take a look at the Bears squad, and frankly they just aren't talented.

Again, I've not been watching them, so I don't know that they've "given up". There could be alot reasons why they are losing.

Just like there could be alot of reasons why the Skins are winning; and I don't know why "playing for Zorn" needs to shoot up to the top of the list.

Can you identify one player or one statement from someone in the lockerroom that says "Hey, we're pulling together for the coach. He's really inspired us these past couple weeks."??

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder hat seinen Finger ins Arschloch gesteckt.

Nun haben wir alle, "up here" rote Augen.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm out. Heading to the game.

Go Skins!
HTTR!

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 21, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

>>1) Bruce Allen was Mike Shanahan's
hand-picked GM.

I thought the GM was supposed to pick the coach. Not the other way around. Same old backasswards for the Skins. And kind of guarantees that Allen can never fire Shanahan doesn't it.
Perfect.

Posted by: dovelevine | December 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Nate, We can do both.

Posted by: msrent | December 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zimbar | December 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Elvis Dumerveil has like 15-16 sacks; he was a 2nd day draft pick.

DJ Williams has played all 3 LB positions for the Broncos and still plays at a high-level - Shanny pick.

Let's not forget the deal for Champ Bailey...not a draft pick, but that's going after the defensive side of the ball.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Heading to the game.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 21, 2009 2:58 PM

Which reminds me...they're doing snow removal all around the Beltway...various lane closures...MASSIVE back-ups, depending on which way you're going.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder hat seinen Finger ins Arschloch gesteckt.

Nun haben wir alle, "up here" rote Augen.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder got the idea from you.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

p1funk -- Shanahan as a HC would be able to hold his own with an owner or GM. He wouldn't need to be GM in order to have a lot of influence on personnel decision.

This is unlike Zorn and Cerrato, where mgmt had the say on everything and Zorn was only allowed to speak when mgmt let him speak.

As for his record as GM in Denver, with lots of decisions come lots of hits and misses. Overall, I don't think he did that well as GM.

As a HC, particularly as an offensive coach, he can be brilliant. But on the other stuff, he's nothing special.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on rather seeing Giants make playoffs, if I had to chose.

Dallas can still miss the playoffs if the Redskins win tonight.

IF

Both teams would be 9-7 with NYG owning the tiebreaker.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.

I wouldn't mind a classic Dallas choke-job in the playoffs.

Their Oline is a disaster with Flozell Adams at left tackle. No way they go anywhere.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I just wonder who made that call.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What? Lewis's first 4 games were against much better competition and yielded much greater results. Dallas holding us to 6 points is not the same as Kansas City holding us to 6 points. Our Red zone conversion rate is through the roof under Lewis. We went 0-5 in the red zone against St. Louis. That was all on Zorn and his decision to run the ball 16 times. You can't just compare Lewis's first 4 games to Zorn's without looking at the level of competition. Lewis's play calling had a lot to do with us beating the crap out of Denver too. Lewis is a much better play caller than Zorn.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"That, if you're right, shows what a morally corrupt group of spoiled prima donnas we have as a team. They should have been playing their azzes off the whole year. Again, if you're correct. (Which I doubt)

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse "

The problem with your observation is that a large percentage of the guys playing now aren't the same guys who were playing for most of the year. It's hardly a coincidence that the quality of performance went up when some of the big name, big money glamor boys went out with injury and had their spots taken by a bunch of no names. I'm sure that many of the guys who are in there now would have been playing their asses off earlier, if they'd gotten a chance to get onto the field.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

NY Post:

Redskins right tackle Stephon Heyer . . . won't play, forcing Will Robinson into his first NFL start . . . he's a first-year player just signed off the practice squad whose last game action was in 2007 as a senior at San Diego State.

JC is going to get SLAMMED. We're finishing this game with Todd Collins, who moves like a 10 year old in pajamas when he's on the field in cold weather.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, I haven't been watching the Bears lately...have you?

I take a look at the Bears squad, and frankly they just aren't talented.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Would you agree that giving up on your coach and "tuning him out" might be the same thing? You know, coaches lose their players because the message has been the same for too long, or was never effective? Or they were just ineffective leaders?. I think Denny Green lost the Cards, Mora Jr lost the Falcons (okay, a lot of other factors there), and Gruden lost the Bucs--lost their last 3 games to finish 8-8 to miss the playoffs.

We're not that talented in a lot of key areas, particularly on offense, and we've been very competitive for several weeks now.

There have been a lot of quotes from players voicing their support for Zorn, most notably Fletch and Daniels after the last game. Hell, if our defensive guys stand up for him after the way the offense let down the defense early in the year...this has to count for something in Zorn's favor.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The difference this year, haters, is that Lisa has anointed the Cowboys her Team of Destiny*, a distinction that virtually guarantees a championship.

*Pending the signature of one Shaun Suisham.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't see that there's much to worry about in the arrangement.

Shanny is gonna have some personnel authority - OK, I can live with that.

He's been a coach in the NFL long enough to know what he wants in a player. He can work with Bruce Allen on personnel decisions. You've got 2 seasoned well-respected NFL guys, neither of whom seems to have petty personality quirks (like Vinny) to get in the way. BA can handle all the "dirty work" of cap management and contract negotiations.

If Snydes wants to sweeten the deal for Shanny by giving him a nice title like "Team President" and an extra million or 2 to boot, then fine. Do what you gotta do to close the deal.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Touche, p1funk.

I pronounce us all "up here" fans of the Washington Red Eye Skins.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 remaining deafeningly quiet: re losing a heartbreaker to Carroll St F Bombers.....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Next 3 games matter a lot. We can play spoiler especially for Dallas and at this point I'm all about just hating Dallas and wanting them to blow it. (yes Smack I am that small right now :) )

I think JC should be kept around and I'd like to see whoever comes in as HC come out and say so pretty early on so we don't have that drama floating for too long. There is no one worth pursuing who will be any better and we need an o-line and RB more than QB.

Zorn has to go. Do you guys really want to go through a season with an HC whose job is on the line every single game? The only way he survives past next season is a deep run into the playoffs and the odds are not in our favor on that so why waste the season? Plus how is he going to have the locker room if the players know his job is hanging by a thread? No he has to go. I wish him well.

I'm with you Nate - I want us to win tonght but knowing a loss would be a thorn in Dallas' side well there it is.

Posted by: sfskin | December 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Where do I go for the crack? Rooting for the Giants just to help kibosh the 'Girls? C'mon....Are you saying if it's the last play, Skins ball 4th and goal and we have a chance to win, you're hoping we blow it? Hacks me off that these 'dead' wins are costing us draft spots, but no way i want those magnons to win in our house. F that.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 21, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 2:56 PM

I'm on board with this view. Before Vinny was fired, I wanted a loss every Sunday so Snyder would have no choice but to get rid of him. Now that it's done, I would love two big wins against the giants and the girls and put one of them out of their misery.

Posted by: Moose33 | December 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@PAskinsfan17

JC was sacked 15 times in those 4 games.
Almost half of his total all year.

I believe it's more the 3 step drops and the better line play then Lewis.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Besides Philly, Dallas only scored 7 points and Atlanta and Denver aren't as good as everyone thought they were.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hail Yeah and very well stated JC!!! All games matter period!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | December 21, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Folks - give me a break! Jim Zorn and JC haven't had a productive OL since the first 7 games of 2008. You can have an offense if you don't have a solid OL!!

Give them an OL and let's see what happens. We will never have a playoff team if we continually blow up the team every two years!!!

Joe Gibbs' wisdom: Continuity!

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm 59 years old and a fan of the Redskins since the mid-1950s. I was a burgundy and gold little boy. For many years, there was little to root for. I'm still amazed at the transformation of the franchise after Vince's short stay. For 25 years the franchise grew in quality and stature. No professional organization or city could have hoped for better than Joe Gibbs. I am rooting for Zorn to finish well, though I predicted he would not last. He's a quality guy. The team is playing hard for him, now, in spite of Mr. Snyder. But after this season, Zorn is finished and so am I. The love is gone. Au revoir, mon bon ami. Merci pour les souvenirs.

Posted by: obak2 | December 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

JC was sacked 15 times in those 4 games.
Almost half of his total all year.

I believe it's more the 3 step drops and the better line play then Lewis.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Posted by: jberry73 | December 21, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the 3 step drops and better line are a big part of it but Zorn was also a crappy play caller. It wasn't just one thing. You don't score 9 points against the Rams because only 1 thing is broken. You could also add in that Devin Thomas started running the right routes and catching the football. Fred Davis has helped. Benching Portis also helped. I mean there's about 10 things that have helped. That's how broken this offense was.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

At this point I wouldn't expect anything less from JC. The Skins better pay attention, since JC has shown everyone more through all this mess than he has on the field! If the team lets Campbell go without a fight in the offseason, then they will have done yet another thing to prove their ignorance! Never mind that JC's numbers have improved every year, despite varying degrees of pass protection and running game. He has always dusted himself off, and gone right back to doing his job! Though the whole team has suffered through thisa season, nobody has been picked apart as much as JC! No matter what you may think of his QB skills in play, his professionalism and commitment CANNOT be challenged. He is among the hardest workers on the team, and has handled the team doing evrything they can to oust him with great class. All of these things are the same types of qualities you look for in a leader, much less a QB. The Skins know what they have in JC (or they should), why take a HUGE gamble on a 1st round QB, when most, historically, don't pan out! JC was not a highly regarded QB coming out of college--few regarded him as a 1st round pick. The Skins were reaching when they traded to get that pick. To me, he has performed at least up to where his college resume showed he should, and more recently, better. Why is it that so many people are critical of him, for doing, in reality just what he should have been expected to do, yet there is far less criticism for the lack of addressing the O-line debacle? Isn't it telling that JC seems to be playing the best stretch of his carrer with arguably the worst O-line he has played behind! If the Skins are paying attention, it should be everything they need to know heading into the offseason!!

Posted by: jwat2410 | December 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hi I´m a Redskin fan since I remember (4 years old), I´m from Mexico and I follow every Redskins season. The main problem is not the coach, the problem is that the owner just want to buy players in free agency, and what the team needs is college talent. I don´t care If our favorite team doesn´t win a Superbowl in the next years, just if the general manager goes to the colleges to find the talent. We need to go back to the basics. And re-build the franchise. We need linemen, a QB, etc.

Remember the hogs!!!!!!!

Max

Posted by: maximiliano69 | December 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The voices tell me: Manhattan yes, Queens yes, Brooklyn no

Posted by: ElYeah | December 21, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: obak2 | December 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

obak2 - Thank you for your post. I too am ready to find another team to call my own after being a Redskins fan for 40 years. The awful cycle we've been in the last ten years of starting over every couple of years has really dampened my desire to follow the team.

I am very glad that Vinny is gone - I believe he has been the major problem. He made some good personnel decisions but far too many bad ones.

I like Zorn. I believe that he is a "Joe Gibbs" in the rough - it's really ashame that he had to make his head coaching debut under Vinny.

Bottom line: If they fire Zorn, I'm done as a Redskins fan.

I've got three games to enjoy.

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 21, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

JC, a pro as always. Can't imagine any coach not loving this guy. If we just had 22 players with his attitude, the sky'd be the limit.

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 21, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

anyone that says zorn is a good play caller is a racist, fool or both of them. lewis knows more about the offense than zorn ever will. zorn is weak and very predictable he will not even let the player's improvise on routes if necessary, he wants everything to happens the way he draws it up in the play-book..well it just does not happen like that in the real world all the time. cerrato is a bum but he did the right thing by taking all play calling from pumpkin puss". campbell needs to be able to audible out of plays even in the red zone. keep zorn OUT of the play calling and you give the team a chance to WIN.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Washington Redskin fan since The 1971-72 season! I will never stop rooting for them and I will never root for any other team! They will be good again some day and I hope that all of you that are long time fans who start to root for other teams regret every second of it!! I love my team forever! GO SKINS!! BTW, F- DALLAS! Vinny is gone! Hip,Hip Hooray!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | December 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

J Reid is a f'ing moron. He looks like the Wilbon/Kornheiser love child. He is almost as pathetics as gay ass Florio.

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | December 21, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

What will the red, black, and yellow ever do without Zorn? He's such a decent fellow and the players fight their guts out just for him - except of course when the games matter.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 21, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Remember Shannahan's first coaching stint with a dysfunctional owner? It was a disaster with the Raiders and Al Davis. If you're firing a guy after 2 years,, THAT'S THE OWNER'S FAULT, NOT the coach. Snyder is such a short-term thinker, and not only has it ruined the Redskins but Six Flags is a mess, too. Why is Snyder even going around talking to people about Shannahan? THAT'S BRUCE ALLEN'S JOB. What happens if Bruce Allen, with all his alleged 'football acumen,' 'evaluates' the team and determines things could work with Zorn? Does he have the cajones to tell Snyder that, and would Snyder TRUST the people he hires the way Jack Kent Cooke trusted Bobby Bethard when he hired this young nobody named Gibbs?
For all of Snyder's facade of 'bringing back the past' he doesn't do it where it counts: channeling the leadership of Jack Kent Cooke that brought DC championships. If the Redskins hire Shannahan shortly after the end of the season, the jury will still be out on this team. It will get worse during the off-season if it's an uncapped year as anticipated, and Snyder turns into another kid-in-the-candyshop trying to buy Shannahan everything he needs to win the Super Bowl in 2010-11. If this scenario unfolds, this team is doomed, again.

Posted by: pdfordiii | December 21, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

They don't matter if you get wiped out...

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 21, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse