Campbell Says He's Ready for Patriots' Test

Quarterback Jason Campbell is eager to play tonight against the New England Patriots at FedEx Field.

"We've faced good defenses on our [preseason] schedule and that's what you want to get ready for the season," Campbell said the other day. "You want to go out there and get challenged when you're trying to see what works, and what you need to work on. That's why you play the preseason."

The first-team offense has failed to produce a touchdown in five series spanning the first two games. Campbell went 1 for 7 in last week's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, stirring panic among some fans.

Coach Jim Zorn and offensive coordinator Sherman Smith told me they're not worried about Campbell. They said he has performed well in practice this week and expect him to have a productive season.

I'm sure some of you read that last line and said, "That's exactly what the head coach and offensive coordinator are going to say to you, stupid." I wouldn't expect Zorn and Smith to throw Campbell under the bus under any circumstances. As straightforward as both men are, however, I think I would have gotten at least some sense of concern from them if they were actually alarmed about his play.

Even in my private conversations with people in the organization, I haven't encountered anyone who has told me another quarterback on the roster gives the Redskins a better chance to win than Campbell. For better or worse, Campbell is the guy.

"You always appreciate the support of your coaches and your teammates," Campbell said. "We all know we're trying to work on stuff to be the best we can during the season. That's why you go out there and take shots and do different things.

"I never worry about stats; it's about the team's success. As long as we all do what we have to as a team, then we'll accomplish what we want to as a team. That's why I always rather face tough defenses. You want to see where you are."

I've read analysis from other reporters who believe Campbell is nothing more than an average quarterback who needs a perfect environment to succeed. I tend to view that as an oversimplification of the situation, especially when they compare Campbell disfavorably to other quarterbacks whose teams are considered significantly stronger than the Redskins in key areas, but everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. And for every statistical argument I've read in support of Campbell only being mediocre, I could counter with other statistical arguments that indicate his standing might not be as clear as some perceive.

But what's the point? Is Jay Cutler really a better quarterback than Campbell because he has better stats? How many playoff games and Super Bowls has he won? How many teams has he led to the playoffs?

Granted, coaches and scouts have told me Cutler has more upside than Campbell. But it's all opinion. Winning, as we all know, is all that matters. It's about the actual body of work. Since no one I know has an accurate crystal ball, who's to say Campbell wouldn't have been as successful as Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger if he had had the good fortune to be drafted into stable organizations like the Patriots or Steelers?

Without dredging up everything again, I hope even those of you who view the world through burgundy-and-gold glasses would at least acknowledged the Redskins have not been considered an elite organization for a long, long time. But the bottom line is the bottom line: Campbell has to go out and do it.

If he can't rise above the offense's deficiencies, whatever they prove to be this season, then his tenure with the franchise could come to an abrupt end. Of course, it's easy for reporters to write about players just having to overcome obstacles when we don't have to face speedy edge rushers and 300-pound interior lineman on top of us because of poor pass protection, but such is the life of NFL quarterbacks.

With the season opener against the New York Giants in only 17 days, many questions about Campbell, and the Redskins, might be answered shortly.

Could There Be Rain?

Although at least one of you is dubious (4thFloor's weather bunion says otherwise), the Capital Weather Gang and Dan Stillman say rain is in the forecast for tonight.

By Jason Reid  |  August 28, 2009; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham Gets the Nod -- or Does He?
Next: A Rainy Night Ahead?

Comments

well I hope no one gets injured tonight.

Posted by: jm220 | August 28, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Who's gonna join me in a Lt. Dan war cry at the game tonight?

"YOU CALL THIS A STORM?! YOU WILL NEVER SINK THIS SHIP!!"

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

1st??

Posted by: Deadfish | August 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Missed it by that much.

Seriously I think that Campbell will have an OK year, but I believe Jay Cutler, who is in the same type of situation (Strong Defense, questionable line, no glam recievers, and great RB) will prove he is better than Campbell

Posted by: Deadfish | August 28, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

When he was here the weakness was that he was usually on the sideline in a Fine suit. Not sure how that info will help Brady.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Unfortunately,
I think the weakness is with the LB's, specifically in covering backs and TE's in space.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 28, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Sweeny - Check ur email...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that I really like the tone and substance of Jason Reid's posts to date. I am an avid Reider.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan,
good point. I've seen RBs burn our LBs plenty a times on man coverage. More safety help would be a plus. But with more QB pressure that might not be as big a factor this year.

Posted by: pgugino | August 28, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey REID enough with the off-season replacement thing. Its not the off-season. Its now, and the PATRIOTS are in town. CAMPBELL will be ready. The question is will you?

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

repost

And somehow I still consider Suisham a cowpatty. Please help me either confirm or dispel this contention!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

He's been wearing maroon and black for several years. That's good enough for me.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

derFritzer,

It's a good argument, but his track record in our uni makes me think he may be wearing a star underneath that chief!

..egads.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow....I get called out by JReid already???

Defending his Washington Post colleagues????

BUT THEY WERE WRONG. LIKE ALL WEATHER PEOPLE.

They did say all the rain will be gone before the Steelers game. WRONG.

And I am going to the game with little children tonight. Ranging from babies to preteens, who both are already coughing. If it's going to be a monsoon like the other night and the forecast is wrong, we're SJK'd on a Swine Flu level.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow....I get called out by JReid already???

lol, you sure did 4th.

Posted by: jm220 | August 28, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't that be Hog Flu?!?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As long as the Swiss Hammy holds up through pre-season, we should keep Suisham..We cut Akers prematurely at a similar stage of his career, and how many Pro Bowls for the Ache from the Eagle?? The hammy needs to be verified on Suisham for sure, though..

Posted by: frak | August 28, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

aaack Akers... salt in wound. aaaarrrrrgh!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

And called out by the whole Post 'Gang'. I guess I crossed into the wrong neighborhood.

Y'all...watch out for that Cap Weather 'Gang'....They just knifed me up in that joint....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

One factor that hasn't been discussed much is the potential for scoring more via the defense. If Campbell and Co. are good for 2-3 TD's/game ( and that's a big if ) and the D can manufacture a few more, then things bode well. Tonight will be interesting. The war cry should be 52-7. It's time for some retribution in the form of Brady's supine, unconscious form.

Posted by: bostskin | August 28, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm also an avid Reider (good looks, T_E) but he's gotta be crazy if he thinks Campbell is anywhere near the same level as Cutler. Cutler is more accurate, more mobile, makes faster reads, has a quicker release, has a stronger arm (Campbell's greatest strength), and has the confidence to throw on plays when Campbell checks down. Yes, Cutler is a d-bag. Campbell is a nice guy. But I'd rather watch a jerk throw for 30TDs than watch a nice guy throw 15TDs. Cutler could be a legit Pro-Bowl QB year in and year out (already has 1). Campbell will likely never make the Pro-Bowl.

And can we officially drop the 'new offense' card? Anyone notice that Cutler is picking up his new offense pretty well after a few months? He also has worse WRs and just as questionable an O-line. If we had Cutler right now Vegas would be putting us at 11-5 at worst.

I cringe when thinking that we missed Aaron Rodgers by one pick. Rodgers went 24th, Campbell went 25th. And to be clear, this is not about his 1-7 performance. This is about watching him since the day he was drafted. He just doesn't have it. I truly hope I get proven wrong this season. But I can't be excited about that prospect.

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 28, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS: Redskin officials report this morning that there is no truth to the rumor that they've leased out Fedex Field to George Romero to film his next "Night of the Living Dead" zombie flick.

Them officials explained, "We can understand why some people may have thought it looked like we had a zombie or two out there on the field, but it was really just JC going through his progressions."

Posted by: Vic1 | August 28, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

After two years I still find it funny as hell that people are taking that loss personally.

The Redskins got nubbed that game by the tune of 52-7, and it was ENTIRELY on the Redskins for letting that happen.

I said it two years ago, I'll say it again: The Redskins were just in the path of the tornado. Prior to the season starting the Patriots were accused of cheating. They wanted to prove to the league that they weren't only just that good back then, but even better that '07 season.

Furthermore, this crybaby attitude that the Patriots "ran up the score" on the 'skins is just pathetic. Look, the 'skins are a pro team, just like New England. If the 'skins were that angry about it, THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Plain and simple. But no, they just let them run, pass, and attempt-on-4th-down-inside-the red-zone-while-up-by-38 right over them. The Redskins came out looking pathetic, not the Patriots.

Pro-football is a man's game. Little boys whine and cry about "not playing fair".

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

With the Cowboys Waaaah Williams out for half a season and with Jerruh Jones penchant for obtaining misfits, how long do you think it will be before the Cowboys trade for Brandon Marshall?

Posted by: TheCork | August 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'd just like to thank everyone for joining the fantasy football league and becoming minor blips on my path to future greatness, as well as for your assistance in adding to my already stellar trophy collection. You might as well already give up, the field has been taken over.

That is all.

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow....I get called out by JReid already???

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 9:34 AM

Called out? Called out is when ChRiS LarRy comes after you with his girlie slaps. Or the PC patrol with their tut-tuts. What you got was a wink and a pat on the back.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

And what about when Cutlers team self-destructs AGAIN... And dissent renders them inoperable. He's like a QB-ing TO.

Now, you can make the argument that TO brought Philly to the dance, but look at what happened. And they still came pretty close w/o him.

That's the kind of thing where you won't know until you know. I agree that Soup looks lackluster so far this year. But we're going to have to ride it out.

And I'll take a sucky QB like Dilfer and a ring over a crybaby 'super talent' that never gets one.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

cork, you might be onto something there....if that scenario were to play out, the pukes trading for Brandon Marshall, I would not be shocked in the least...especially if Williams is out for any signifigant amount of time.....glad to see you've calmed down from yesterday....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Yes, Cutler is a d-bag. Campbell is a nice guy. But I'd rather watch a jerk throw for 30TDs than watch a nice guy throw 15TDs. Cutler could be a legit Pro-Bowl QB year in and year out (already has 1). Campbell will likely never make the Pro-Bowl."

I couldn't agree with this more! I mentioned something similar the other day.

It's hard to not like Campbell. He's classy, involved in the community, and although I'm not high on religion like that, I can appreciate faith driven folk.

However, that doesn't mean that he should be the starting QB of YOUR Washington Redskins. Good hearted people really don't get far in life anyway.

The backstabbers, a-holes, the liars -- they're the ones who get it all in this world.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha- I second that. Cutler is a playmaking QB and can save broken plays, JC not so much. Oh well, we will see tonight. Don't worry guys, I won't be on here being annoying and bashing JC cause I'll be at the game! Haha :)

Posted by: rachel216 | August 28, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"I feel good about what we're doing as an offense and what we can accomplish as a team," Campbell said. "I feel we're doing the right things and we're on a good track."---RI, The Mayor

After reading Zorn and Campbell's comments over the past few weeks, I wonder if the Post actually interviews them, or just prints the output of a PR Department operated "random positive comment" quote machine.

Media just THINK these guys are forthcoming. Sure they come forth and talk, but when you write down the words, you find you have nothing but nothing. These guys are human cliche machines.

Oh to have a team as interesting as the Vikings, with Jared Allen saying that he thought schism was an STD, or listening to the delightfully funny Steve Hutchinson (on dan Patrick.)

EVen Portis and Blache have become boring this year.

Posted by: TheCork | August 28, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Red- wasn't whining, dude. Agree w/ your take that it was Totally on the skins. That said, It's time we played like men. Just sayin'

Posted by: bostskin | August 28, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

...glad to see you've calmed down from yesterday....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Beans, I'm of Irish descent and have the attention dpan of a... oh look frogs!... I calm down five seconds after I send any emotional post and move on.

Got it, fathead?

Best to the family.

Posted by: TheCork | August 28, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

sheriff,

I couldn't agree more. I also hope to be proven wrong about JC. Key word there is, "proven". That's JC's job to prove he's got it.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 28, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Yoder, thanks for posting that. Interesting read.

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

fat head....thats stocky-head to you....thank you very much...or at least big-boned head.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

RedD,

It all depends on what your goals are, doesn't it? If superficial is your goal (not implying it's yours...) then being so will get you there.

If substance and truth are of importance, then no amount of skull-duggery will ever get you there.

Besides, if we had a great qb, who would he throw to?! hehehe

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:04 AM

I could see this coming. I didn't want any part of this FF league. If I had to, I would have paid to avoid getting mowed down and spit out by the psps23 harvester.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

psps, no problem.

I thought it was interesting too...the Football Outsiders are generally accepted as a great source for football stats, predictions etc.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

bostskin, really wasn't posting specifically to what you posted. So you shouldn't take it as I was going at you.

But there are a bunch of peeps on RI and other 'skins fans that I know that took the loss personally.

As if they were held in a backyard for nearly two decades.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Red - You've been here for two years?

What was your prior handle? Cuz I thought you just popped up this offseason....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute.... Did 4th floor actually get a shout out? Dont let it go to your head!

Posted by: Rush21 | August 28, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Dear,JC

You don't deserve this. Keep your head up

Posted by: redonmyskin | August 28, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"But I'd rather watch a jerk throw for 30TDs than watch a nice guy throw 15TDs."

How about 25TDs and 18-20 INTs? Because that's what Denver would have been looking at. Produces a record of, oh, 8-8.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

* beep be de beep beep *

new post

happy Friday

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 28, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 28, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Now, why don't you go back and look at what Cutler did against real defenses and not those scrubs in the AFC West. He was useless when playing anyone not ranked in the bottom 10 on defense. Cutler made his numbers last year beating up crappy secondaries and playing catchup in garbage time. If you think Cutler is good then you are in for a rude awakening. BTW, they have the same completion percentage so to say that Cutler is more accurate is a false statement. Cutler also had better receivers and the best offensive line in football last year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 28, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with what NE did to the skins (52-7). I am a skins fan but I respected the way that the patriots played like a team on a mission. I was most disappointed by the whining by the skins for getting their asses whipped. If NE wanted to they could have dropped 2more td's on us but they held back. Its a game people not nurseryschool. NE's offense was potent and Brady has this "military" style of thinking and I wish players on the skins had the brady attitude of winning and not just happy to collect a paycheck.

Posted by: mayfield1974 | August 28, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

TE, that's the best part of FF. As CL adeptly put it, "matching wits" with your fellow competition. If I'm not winning on the fantasy football field, I damn well better make my presence felt in the verbal sparring.

But, doesn't really matter, because I'm going to be winning on the FF field anyway.

Posted by: psps23 | August 28, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Homer McFanboy interviews Football Outsiders:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse
Outstanding article. Thanks, Yoder.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Homer McFanboy gets a "child please."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Usually I try not to rant but there is way too much Jason Campbell angst.. like or not, he is our QB this season and the team will go as far as he takes them.. in the meantime, there are, as always, some great position battles going on and people need to be more cognizant of them. For example, Big Mike Williams will be cut.. but will resign later in the season. Marko Mitchell will be the 4th wideout with Devin Thomas moving to 5th or perhaps even being ousted by DJ Hackett. Chris Wilson may or may not look better in pass coverage than Brian Orapko but who can tell with all the ridiculous chatter about Campbell.. Dorsey will return punts and Rock may or may not do kickoffs. Todd Yoder may be history if Mike Sellers knee is not a problem. If Yoder is cut, does that make Lorenzo Alexander the backup fullback? If Rock goes, then Ladell Betts will have to be the kick-off returner. Rocky Mac has had a quiet pre-season... does anyone know how he looks? Special teams coverage is poor and some such as R. Thomas, Fincher and Westbrook may be out if they do not improve.

Posted by: iseyij | August 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS FROM HOLLYWOOD -- Actor Tom Hanks denies a rumor circulating in Washington this morning that the Academy Award winning actor is planning to film a sequel to his highly popular movie, "Forrest Gump."

The rumor started when someone overheard a series of "Gumpisms" coming out Redskin Park, including:

"We all know we're trying to work on stuff to be the best we can during the season. That's why you go out there and take shots and do different things."

AND

"I feel good about what we're doing as an offense and what we can accomplish as a team. I feel we're doing the right things and we're on a good track."

To which someone responded, "Yeah, and your mama thinks you're pretty special too."

Posted by: Vic1 | August 28, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Homer McFanboy interviews Football Outsiders:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 10:05 AM

Thanks for the post. The issue here is that we have a general organizational culture to the quick fix. This organization started down the path to bring the WCO to DC. I'm hoping that JZ and the rest of the offensive staff and players are given enough time to develop that identity.

Posted by: TWISI | August 28, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

4th

I used to post under Drama King, It was influenced by the DJ Drama mixtapes and the constant view on the blog at the time that everything was hunky dory re: the 'skins.

For the people that complain that bloggers post with no objectivity, you should read some of the comments from back then... I mean NONE. What. So. Ever.

This offseason was the first time I was reading stuff that I could vibe with. Notably the great discussions about hip-hop and other stuff.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I like when he talks about Campbell, not much else. He's basically JLC 2.0. Remember, La Cantreporta also loved Campbell, but hated nearly everybody else associated with the Skins.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 28, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"It's hard to not like Campbell...However, that doesn't mean that he should be the starting QB of YOUR Washington Redskins."
Posted by: RedDMV

I sure don't see any other candidates. We've got an established starter, a veteran backup, and two young bucks that the Head Coach seems to like. That's enough to take a team into the playoffs. By the numbers, the Skins could easily have gone last season, with a few breaks. Or they could have finished 6-10.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Broncos suspend Brandon Marshall
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 10:38 AM ET
As it turns out, Marshall's attempt to accept responsibility for his actions was too little, and too late.

The Broncos have suspended Marshall for conduct detrimental to the team.

The team announced the move via e-mail moments ago.

The duration of the suspension has not yet been determined. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and the NFLPA, the maximum suspension for conduct detrimental to the team is four games.

Unlike league-imposed suspensions, which are subject to appeal to the league office, discipline meted out by the individual clubs can be challenged via third-party

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 28, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Cutler also had better receivers and the best offensive line in football last year.
Posted by: PAskinsfan1"

If you divided the QB position into skills (throwing short, throwing deep, scrambling, etc), Cutler would probably rate higher than overall than Campbell, and most of the other NFL starters. He's that talented.

However, he's a gambler. Sometimes that approach works spectacularly over the course of a career(Favre), and sometimes it doesn't.

Campbell is a more conservative QB who focuses on reducing mistakes and keeping his team in the game. When your team has a very good defense, that approach is likely to work better than gambling. If you're on the 2008 New Orleans or Denver teams, on the other hand, you better pitch the ball downfield and hope to outscore your opponent, because the defense is not going to save you.

Cutler is definitely going to miss those Denver receivers, and quite possibly the blocking, too. Devin Hester's a better athlete than pass catcher.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 28, 2009 9:58 AM

The word of the day: pre-season. Let's see what Cutler does in September before his supporters (or Campbell's detractors) start crowing "Mission Accomplished".

Posted by: Alan4 | August 28, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

You once had me at hello.

But this 'devil's advocate' piece questioning even the most seasoned expert or casual fan on their conclusions that Campbell isn't ready for prime time is just silly.

To mention Jason in the same breath as Brady or Roethlisberger is laughable, even if both have more stable organizations behind them. Exactly what has Campbell ever done over any sustained period of time that would lead you to believer he has 'it.' He's fine, but thoroughly average. Not a bust, but neither is he a game changer. And I'm sorry, but aside from Jason's mobility (a key strength), there isn't one area I see where he is better than Todd Collins. It was Collins who got us to the postseason, not Campbell. And for those trashing Collins for his performance in Seattle, go back and take a second look. Under great duress, Collins was very solid in that game. The picks at the end were arguably a) not his fault and b) a desperation heave given the time left and the need for a quick score to have any chance of pushing the game to OT.

Collins has been and continues to be the best QB on the roster, and I'm confident his day will come once more. And if he stumbles, I'll happily eat humble pie. But I won't have to, because Collins can get us to the postseason. Why he's not being given a shot to push for the job is a total mystery to me - and reflects more foolishness from the front office.

Posted by: knk4jack | August 28, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

You once had me at hello.

Posted by: knk4jack | August 28, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I really hope they keep Campbell as QB and that knucklehead offensive line coach Joe "Barney Rubble" Bugel on the team. I enjoy watchin the skinz lose. I really do. Bug eyes Vinnie and Danny Boy Snyder will witness another terrible season. Let the games begin.

Posted by: Maximus6 | August 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV:

I roll with that. Yesterday's dead and gone. Let's kick azz tonight and take names. Time for HAYNESWORTH to begin earning the nickname "Moneysworth." Let's see that o-line making holes for CP and protecting JC. Lets see DEVIN THOMAS show why he's worth THE pick. Time for some money-ball. it's gameday.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 28, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

knk4jack, have you seen Collins try to throw an out? After that great run to the playoffs he was exposed in the playoff game at Seattle.

Posted by: drfunknsoul | August 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: knk4jack | August 28, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Ben threw 4 more TDs and 9 more INTs and lost 6 more fumbles. He only has 4 more TDs but created 15 more turnovers. Of course when you have the best D in the league this isn't that big of a deal. If we had Big Ben we would have been 4-12. The only reason you think he's so great is bacause he plays good in the 4th quarter. You tend to ignore the INTs and fumbles in the first three. The Steelers win games with defense and running, not because of Ben's QB play. JC would have won that superbowl too. Hell, he beat the Cards with our team and he didn't need a James Harison TD return to do it. The only thing that's laughable is that you think Todd Collins is better than JC. That was true in the old Al Saunders offense but this is completely different. I guess you already forgot how lost Todd looked last year and how is barely doing well this year against benchwarmers. Let's see Todd play against Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. To mention Big Ben in the same breath as JC or Tom Brady is laughable.

Tom Brady is elite. JC is ok. Big Ben sucks.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 28, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

knk4jack: "And I'm sorry, but aside from Jason's mobility (a key strength), there isn't one area I see where he is better than Todd Collins."

Um, what about age?

I like Todd Collins, but be serious, will ya?

As far as Jason goes, he does have some advantages over Brady and Roethlisberger. He's not as likely to win the game for you as Big Ben, but he's also less likely to lose it because of a howling mistake. He's not anywhere as good as Brady, but he's also not coming off a season-ending injury. You know that once you've had an injury like that, you're more vulnerable to recurrence, right? And to other problems that are related to the injury. The way people around here obsess about fluid building up in Malcolm Kelly's knee -- imagine how the Pats fans worry about Brady.

It's entirely possible that Jason could remain at about the same level as last season. It's also possible he could experience a sudden jump in performance related to a number of factors. It's not as likely that his performance could deterioriate radically. He's too young, too healthy, and too cautious for that.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Playing JC is all part of Big Dan's master plan to get a fair shot at Tim Tebow in next year's draft. Last draft, when he couldn't trade for Cuttler or move up for Sanchez, it dawned on Big Dan that the Skins record was "too good" to draft that low. So now he figures to pay and play JC for another season -- and drop about 12 or 13 games -- and then move up to pick 2nd or 3rd in the next draft. See, it will all work out in the end. All it takes is a little patience...

Posted by: Vic1 | August 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, weaker schedule check, better receivers check, better offensive line check, another year in the same system check. Is there any reason why people think he won't be better? I'm just curious. The only thing I can think of is that Chris Samuels gets injured. If that happens then this team is sunk.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell, is definitely not an NFL Quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Danny Snyder loves Penn State.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 28, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Vic 1 you are so right! BTW know we know dan synder's pseudonym.

Posted by: Maximus6 | August 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Vic 1 you are so right! BTW know we know dan synder's pseudonym.

Posted by: Maximus6 | August 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 28, 2009 10:52 AM

-----------------------------------

Partially agree. I think Jason Reid has more integrity than Lacanfora, although they both share an intrinsic hatred of the Redskins. You could argue that they do it to stir up the fans and get better ratings, more nob security, etc (negative news sells better)

If Jason Reid can rescue his head from the depth of LaCanfora's folds of disingenuity he can develop into a good writer.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 28, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

hclark1,

Feel free to fornicate with your own family and as you leave the Redskin country, don't let the door hit your filthy behind

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 28, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is doing nothing to disprove his detractors. He's BADLY missed open receivers and looks uncomfortably slow still. He and Z will be gone next year. Cowher and some other schmo will be in.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | August 28, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Isn't "key NFL preseason match-up" an oxymoron? I suppose that if there is such a thing, it's these next-to-last preseason games.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | August 28, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

You want to know why Campbell is bad? The exact same reason Byron Leftwich is bad, you can't throw from your waist and be a good QB in the NFL, you slow your reads, you telegraph your passes, and you expose the ball and your body. The worst part is that people see these long throwing motions and think "we can just tighten up his mechanics and we'll be okay." That just isn't the case, when you tweak someones natural mechanics that they've had since high school you will kill their accuracy, period. Hold the ball by your ear, and throw from your ear, only way to be an NFL QB. Philip Rivers throws an ugly weird ball, but its up high and its a fast release, and that matters a ton.

Posted by: SirTwist | August 28, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse