Campbell Steps into Leadership Role

Beginning his fifth season in the NFL, quarterback Jason Campbell has assumed a bigger leadership role on the Redskins.

"It was told to him that's what he needed to improve upon," said Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations. "It was much easier [to do that] in Year 2 than Year 1, just because, he said, 'In Year 1, it was hard for me to get on somebody when I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing.' This year he knows what he's doing."

Campbell has especially taken the lead in working with young receivers such as Malcolm Kelly and Marko Mitchell, Cerrato said.

"If you notice, every day he stays out after practice and works on things that need to be worked, that he didn't do well in practice," he said. "And he stays out there; Marko's always out there and Malcolm's always out there, working on things.
I expect him to have a good season. If we can protect, give him solid protection throughout the year, I think he'll have a good season. What Jason needs to do is just lead the team, manage the games. I think he'll make plays because of that -- with his feet and with his arm."

***

One of the happiest players to make the Redskins' 53-man roster was a guy who was known as "Ham" as a little kid. For Edwin Williams, making the NFL after going undrafted isn't the longest of the longshots he has overcome, Mike Wise writes.

***

Find you're momentarily stumped when asked where the defense ranked among NFL teams in 2001 or you have a brain freeze when asked to name the top assistants in 2002? Bonnie Berkowitz and Laura Stanton have put together Snyder the Decider, a handy-dandy interactive look at Daniel Snyder's 10 seasons as the Redskins' owner.

There's a chat today, since Sunday seems to be a pretty big day for the lads. Cindy Boren is up at noon. Submit your questions via the link above,Twitter, the blog, Facebook or other means. Whatev.

***

Also in our special section, there's Mike Wise on Jason Campbell; Tracee Hamilton on the defense: and Wilbon on QBs under the gun in the NFL.

***

The big blue view from Gotham, courtesy of our friends at the New York Daily News, shows that the Giants are resisting the temptation to rush Hakeem Nicks along. ... GM Jerry Reese the blue Kool-Aid to be delicious -- so much so that he says thinks this year's team may be better than the Super Bowl team and last year's.

By Jason Reid  |  September 9, 2009; 6:11 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Elaborates on Mason's Role
Next: For Campbell, Zorn, It's All About Winning

Comments

FIRST to say Campbell shouldn't bother since he'll be gone next year anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I'll believe JC's taken more of a leadership role when I see him getting after someone for running a wrong route or missing a block. QB is the field general - JC is more of a field daisy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

But God bless him for the effort!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Emmitt Smith has the Cowboys winning only 7 games. And even that idiot at ESPN Easterbrook has them going 6-10. Good to see people coming to their senses...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see JC just once get in somebody's (like ARE) grill for dropping a key 3rd down ball that just hit them in the hands.

"dag nabbit, catch the dang ball"

And then demand Marko Mitchell be on the field the next series. Or 50.

"PLEASE get me a guy who can catch on the field"

Gotta walk first, and JC did attend the St. Joe school of getting into somebody's grill.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 9, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Eldrano

"Easy to see through that. Care to admit to it?"

Dude, why are you stealing my wife's dialogue?

This is how she tests me before we have 'make up sex'.

Okay, I'll play the game, "Honey, what do you want me to admit to?"

"Cheating?"

"Girl, you know I don't want another woman."

"Spending too money in the strip club?"

"Baby, you know helping a low i.q. young woman through community college is my idea of public service."

"Thinking about another woman while we're making love?"

"Now, that's crazy. You know you are the only girl for me, let's do it."

"But first, you have to wear this bag over your head....and can I call you 'Tyra Banks' tonite?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 9, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

"FIRST to say Campbell shouldn't bother since he'll be gone next year anyway..."

Nice, I love it, he shouldn't bother...WOW...way to start the day there brownie.....you get to drink at work??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Reposting, since it seems to be so slow this morning
=========================================
Thoughts to ponder for the season:

1) Who will have more TD's - Marko Mitchell or Malcolm Kelly?

2) Who will have more sacks - Andre Carter or Brian Orakpo?

3) Who will have more tackles - London Fletcher or Laron Landry?

4) Who will have more all purpose yards - Rock Cartwright or Marcus Mason?

5) Who will have more INTs - Carlos Rogers or Fred Smoot?

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the following:
1) Kelly
2) Carter
3) Fletcher
4) Cartwright
5) Rogers

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

brownwood,

I hear what you're saying about Fletcher not missing any plays for the past 10 yrs or so. However, that's a lot of wear and tear on a body and as much as he may want to be out there on the field, I think this year he actually misses a game or two due to injury (i.e his foot).
Of course, I hope I'm wrong about this.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Im sorry but writing the Cowboys off with 7 wins? Really? Ok, yes, it's great to imagine them having a losing season, but you can't turn your back on them.

Romo has proven himself during the season, Roy Williams and Jason Witten are plenty potent for any defense to handle, and their Oline is nothing to sneeze at.

Defensively, they have a solid front 7. Behind that their is a bit of a drop-off, but...

Simply writing them off for the season? I hope it's true but I can't believe it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"3) Who will have more tackles - London Fletcher or Laron Landry?"

Considering Landry usually plays 20 yards off the LOS, we should all hope London has more tackles.

However, I would like Landry to be in the box and blitz more.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 9, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Mattsoundworld - The cowpukes also have the oldest OL of any team in the NFL. Yes, even older than ours. That means that right when Romo needs to perform he'll have more people in his face. Hopefully we'll also put people in his face during both of our games against them.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 9, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 8:03 AM

Dude, are you serious? Romo gets no respect from me until he wins a big game. He plays worse as the season goes on and it's no coincidence that their QB and head coach have NEVER won a playoff game.

And Roy Williams is overrated. As the #1 guy with nothing else at WR, he'll prove it this year. Witten is the only legit receiving option they've got.

And save for Ware, what do they have on D? They lost a few key players in the offseason and I'm not sure they adequately replaced them. In the NFC East, they won't survive...I've got them going 7-9 myself.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
And let's not forget that cream puff of a coach Dallas has. You ever notice how much Wade Philips looks like the Sta-Puf marshmallow man?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Of course, I hope I'm wrong about this.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 8:02 AM

He basically took the offseason off. No worries on this end. There's plenty of stuff to worry about in Redskin Nation...#59 ain't one of 'em.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

"Roy Williams and Jason Witten are plenty potent for any defense to handle"

Witten yes, but Roy needs to prove he can do it in Dallas, as of yet, he's failed to do so as the #2, let alone #1.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell 2009 - 10 season

4100 yards
25 tds
11 ints

Skins 10-6 or 11-5

JC signs new 5 year contract.

Lets all get behind JC and support him as he leads up to the playoffs.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 9, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 8:21 AM

Good call! I was wondering why I get hungry for s'mores when we play Dallas!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell 2009 - 10 season

4100 yards
25 tds
11 ints

Skins 10-6 or 11-5

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 9, 2009 8:23 AM

Did the Skins trade for Randy Moss and Wes Welker or did you simulate the season on Madden?

Crazier things have happened, but I just don't see it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

All The talk up here in NYC ia how banged up the giants D is and that their depth isn't as strong as people think.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

brown, care to share as to why you don't see an improvement from JC in that manner? I mean, you've already stated that he shouldn't even bother trying, but 2nd year in same system, improvement from 2nd year players, more options, why aren't those numbers within reach??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Jeez brownie it's opening week I think a little false hope is in order, maybe lighten up a bit.

14-2 baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"GM Jerry Reese the blue Kool-Aid to be delicious -- so much so that he says thinks this year's [Giants] team may be better than the Super Bowl team and last year's."

Not completely nuts, for two reasons:

1) prior to that historic Super Bowl upset, stats geeks were considering the Giants' rightful place among the least impressive teams ever to play in a Super Bowl, and

2) the Giants' passing game in '08 was no better than the Skins' once Burress went down.

Somebody noted that the NYG wouldn't look nearly as good if it wasn't for their success against Washington. Philly handled them twice last season, and could have swept the series.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 9, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

gcoles32,
Other than preseason euphoria, how did you come up with those stats? From where I am sitting, and until proven otherwise, we still have a quarterback that holds on to the ball too long and is tentative. Although the offensive line looked adequate in pass protection in the preseason, this was against plain vanilla defenses not bringing the heat, and let's not forget that while they were okay in pass protection, they really didn't do a good job opening holes for CP. I have not even discussed the possibility of injury on the offensive line and what that could do to the team. Plus, the Redskins have a coach that became way too predictable as the season wore on last year. Joe Gibbs' teams always won in December when Gibbs had become comfortable with personnel and how to use them most effectively: Zorn's Redskins fell apart at the end of the season suggesting Zorn didn't know how to optimize his utilization of talent. More realistic:

Jason Campbell 2009 - 10 season

2300 yards passing
16 tds
3 ints
Misses at least a couple of games due to injury (how will you be loving Mike Williams after he waves in defenders, Mr. Campbell?)

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 8:37 AM

First of all, I'm a big JC fan. I certainly think that he is CAPABLE of those numbers...just not here. IF the O-line holds up, IF he gets a steady downfield target not named Moss and IF he's not hamstrung by the playcalling he can do that and more. But I'm not calling for all 3 of those scenarios (maybe not any one of them) to play out in the team's favor.

I think his numbers will improve as they always have--his completion %, his TD total, and his QB rating will bump up. Just not enough to get him the extention he deserves.

I think he'll go for 3,300 yards and 17 tds, less than 10 picks. That's not gonna excite anyone, especially not that turd Snyder.

Of course, I hope to God I'm wrong and gcoles is right...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Not that it matters to this team, but the next offensive tackle that has been recently cut that we are NOT going to go out and get is Langston Walker from the Bills.

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else feel thr RI posts have been a little wash ri se repeat lately "what JC needs to do" "mike Williams" "Marcus mason all the time" l
"Kelly vs Thomas"

Man I can't wAit for season so some real story lines emergeg.

I know JAnso is persona non gratta up here but I enjoyed the occassional baseball/music/family life/ the wire posts just to mix it up a bit. But I get the feeling that was just me....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

HA!

Vinny lecturing others on quality leadership...that's rich!

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

14-2 baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:40 AM

I won't be teased by this team ever again. I'll get optimistic when I see this team in the playoffs more than twice a decade.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Man I can't wAit for season so some real story lines emergeg.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

At least we aren't getting 2-a-day posts on Brennan vs. Daniel anymore.

I was seriously starting to wonder about the Mayor...

Posted by: p1funk | September 9, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Jason Campbell will throw a TD pass against the Giants?

I seriously doubt it. He may run one in, but I don't think he will throw a TD pass until week 3.

Does anyone disagree?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 9, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:47 AM

You forgot the occasional "I have a man-crush on that little toad Jerry Coleman" post. I hope they choke each other when they embrace ever so closely...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey JC Bashers,

I'm not saying you're incorrect, but give it a rest! There's no point to it.

If he's not the guy, it will out in the wash..until then, how about wishing the guy turns it around? Y'know.. Constructive? Supportive?

I'm fine with critical analysis, but pointless pontification is pathetic.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

One of your best posts here, JReid! Nice job with the links!

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 9, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Tony Pashos or Langston Walker.

Given the choice, who should the Skins have taken? (and yes I know that Pashos has signed elsewhere).

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"IF the O-line holds up, IF he gets a steady downfield target not named Moss"

So what did you eye's tell you about how this played out during the preseason??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

brownie my stance us basically "prove it" when it comes to the skins but my gawg if you can't get a little psyched up for week one take a crochet class on Sundays or something...

Sports guru returns....yippee! And yes I do think he can throw a TD bc giants secondary and dline is banged up like it's week 12.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

JC will get two TD's passes against the Giants. One to Malcolm Kelly and one to Chris Cooley.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

cl, because jasno and I shared a mutual interest in the local baseball team up here, I miss that as well...also hearing about his kids was good for me too...speaking of, your daughter is what, about 10 months old about now, right?? How is she doing?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Jason Campbell will throw a TD pass against the Giants?

Does anyone disagree?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 9, 2009 8:50 AM

I disagree. He threw a TD pass in week last year, and damn if they didn't know what the hell they were doing in that game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 7:16 AM

When I read this I get the vision of JC screaming and yelling at players after a bad play. Not sure if I agree that this is effective leadership. In fact I know I don't respond to that. I don't respect someone who thinks they can belittle another person.

Posted by: TWISI | September 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty amusing for me to observe that Snyder and Vinny C. have been able, by their overtures to Cutler and Sanchez, to persuade quite a few of the more feeble-minded fans that JC is somehow inadequate. To state the obvious: Jason has not been the problem! Last year, he had the shortest amount of time to throw among all quarterbacks in the league, a statistic directly related to lack of OL depth. He also had no reliable large target; this is important because of rule changes that give tall receivers a big advantage to score touchdowns in the red zone. Until this year, our offensive schemes have changed annually. The secret to success in the NFL is teamwork and continuity. The Giants won the Super Bowl with Eli Manning, whose career statistics are very similar to those of Jason.

Losing Jason for the latest flashy model = more years of rebuilding = big mistake!

If you want to clamor, demand more depth at OL next year!

Posted by: supattapone | September 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

BG: good memory! she is doing great. Home today with her b/c my work is on forced furlough so that is fun. Luckily I lined up some consulting work though..

And no that us not consulting others how to be a blowhard who picks online fights on sports blogs. Although if there was money in that I'd be rich

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts to ponder for the season:

1) Who will have more TD's - Marko Mitchell or Malcolm Kelly?

2) Who will have more sacks - Andre Carter or Brian Orakpo?

3) Who will have more tackles - London Fletcher or Laron Landry?

4) Who will have more all purpose yards - Rock Cartwright or Marcus Mason?

5) Who will have more INTs - Carlos Rogers or Fred Smoot?

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the following:
1) Kelly
2) Carter
3) Fletcher
4) Cartwright
5) Rogers

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

There are only 2 of these even worth contemplating/responding to since playing time at a given position will determine the other 3. 3) Fletcher, he always has more tackles than almost anyone in the league. 5) Really another playing time question EXCEPT Rogers can't catch.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

'it was hard for me to get on somebody when I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing.'

Simply put, Jason Campbell is a man of class. This is one quarterback that gives honest opinion, and I trust him when he also said he was excited about the Skins potential this year.

So far, I'm still betting on the Skins going 13-3 this year, put up your bet or shut up. On this blog, I was the first to predict Marko making the team, I was right; I predicted Colt throwing several interceptions in the pre-season games after mouthing his own defensive team mates, I was right; I have predicted a ferocious defense, stay tuned, I stand by all my predictions, any bets?

Posted by: abxinc | September 9, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I will definitely credit Jasno with fomenting a sense of community up here. The shabingi were great to hear about, though I missed them. And the man had compassion. So he wasn't a skins fan. So he had a career to build. It's all good.

I can't imagine why anyone who spent a good deal of time here didn't appreciate his time and effort. There are a plethora of other boards to attend. You're here 'cause ya like it. Which means you liked what he did. Even if you didn't agree, you liked to disagree. So you either appreciated him as a contrarian or ally.
___
Can't say I'm a Nats fan (Marlindom won't let me), but I have greatly enjoyed the games I attended - including this Sunday's debacle!! Arrrggghhh!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, the guru's back.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

So what did you eye's tell you about how this played out during the preseason??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 8:54 AM

I don't trust the preseason. Not since the 5-0 run with Spurrier and "big game" in Osaka. If I went by preseason numbers, everyone's favorite player to never play a regular season game Marcus Mason would be our starter at RB and Jimmy Farris would still be here. I need to see a guy do it in REAL games, not practice.

That said, I'll be a happy man if one or both of the 2nd round WRs step it up this year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm jumping on the pre season optimism and saying the skins get 4 TD's vs the G Men. Three passing and one rushing.

Posted by: bostskin | September 9, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:55 AM

To be honest, I'm more psyched for tomorrow night's game than the Skins/Giants...I've seen that movie once and hated it.

And you guys should be ecstatic about my stance...in 2005 I thought they'd be terrible--10-6 and a playoff win. In '07 I thought they'd be 5-11...they went 9-7 and made the playoffs again. The worse I think they are, the better they play!

You're welcome.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | September 9, 2009 9:12 AM |

There's a wiki page just for this occassion:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead and brownwood26, gentlemen, gentlemen...You're right, injuries are do play a huge part in the statistical outcome, and our Oline stuggled greatly last year and there are still depth issues. But I think our starters are solid and they changed the protection calls this year and so things seemed to be working well thus far. One injury on the Oline someone can step in, more than one injury we may suffer.

I have the ultimate confidence in Jason Campbell ability to succeed. Especially with his familiarity with the offense now and with the emergence of Kelly (6'4" target)and ARE in the slot, Mitchell (6"4") and thomas speed. We will see differnt wrinkles, for example Zorn will incorporate more medium to deep throws this year. Remember the skins have been looking for years a BIG WR to help our QB out. Everyone was singing the praises of Jay Cutler blah blah blah, he was throwing to a 6'4" beast and another stud WR. after being down all the time, and no running attack. I just feel that if we give Jason adequate time, and surround him by talent, he will deliver. Now we will see.

JC's numbers last year 3200yards 13tds and 7ints (I think) And I don't think it is a stretch for him to reach 4100yds 25tds 11ints with more protection, larger targets, more weapons, and a greater command of the offense. Again if the Oline stays healthy and the keep JC upright. As us guys mentioned before.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 9, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

3TD's on the Ginas. 2 on the ground, 1 through the ait.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

1) Who will have more TD's - Marko Mitchell or Malcolm Kelly?

2) Who will have more sacks - Andre Carter or Brian Orakpo?

3) Who will have more tackles - London Fletcher or Laron Landry?

4) Who will have more all purpose yards - Rock Cartwright or Marcus Mason?

5) Who will have more INTs - Carlos Rogers or Fred Smoot?

============================================
Not trying to make things that simple scamp.

1) Kelly will see more time on the field. Marko will most likely be a red zone target. Doesn't mean that Kelly won't catch a few outside the red zone though.

2) My thinking here was Orakpo is a beast. I see teams defending him more than Carter. And with double teams on Haynesworth, I see Carter getting more opportunities.

3) Landry was a leading tackler too. If Fletcher isn't fully healthy (i.e. foot) and folks said he looked slow in preseason games.

4) The key here is all purpose yards. Kick off returns fall into that category. It's not just a case where Rock is #4 on the depth chart and Mason is #3. Also, there was a lot of chatter about Mason eventually replacing Betts or even doing some special teams.

5) You right about the INT's. Key question is will Rogers hang on to the ball. I think he will.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey JC Bashers,

I'm not saying you're incorrect, but give it a rest! There's no point to it.

I'm fine with critical analysis, but pointless pontification is pathetic.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Well Said DikShuttle, well said!!! But I for one think he is the guy and he will show and prove this year. All of the bashing has become pathetic. Lets support the team we all love and want to see win.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 9, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"It was told to him"

Who talks like this?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 9, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

No one need point out my grammar errors in my previous post. Been up all night at work. So now it's off to Dreamland, where the Skins go 19-0 and are World Champions. And when I wake up, Heather Locklear will be next to me.

I can dream can't I?

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Not trying to make things that simple scamp.

Posted by: RITCA | September 9, 2009 9:24 AM |

The problem with 1 and 4 are the fact that Marko and Mason will be inactive for a couple of games where Kelly and Cartwright will not. 2) Orakpo will play much of his time at LB which means he will be rushing the passer a lot less than Carter (hence playing time at a specified position). 5) Smoot will be a nickle/dime guy and hence won't play as much as Rogers. Smoot is more of a cover/tackle guiy than a playmaker anyway (but so is Carlos).

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I predict that Marko Mason will pass Devin Thomas on the depth chart early in the season (if he hasn't already).

Just listen to all the interviews that JC has done. "I'm out there with Malcolm and Marko every day after practice...Oh yeah, and Devin's good, too."

I think Thomas is destined for special teams duty this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I think Thomas is destined for special teams duty this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 9:33 AM

With all that's been said about Kelly/ Thomas and how much better Kelly is supposed to be it's interesting that Devin Thomas had the same amount of catches in the preseason for only 2 less yards. I take into consideration against what string this happened but they both had equal chances (I think)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Sports guru's banishment from the public library must have ended on labor day.

I'm with you CL. If you can't be slightly optimistic the week before the opener, what's the point to all this?

Posted by: mack1 | September 9, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

That interactive snyder chart thing is great. Well done.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The 'skins have a superbeast on the team... his name is Marko Mason.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The Patriots filled the remaining spot on their eight-man practice squad by signing tight end Robbie Agnone, a 6-foot-6-inch, 260-pounder from Delaware who was signed by the Redskins as a rookie free agent April 30 and waived by them during their final cutdown.

Michael Vega can be reached at vega@globe.com.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

buy me a coke 4th!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

SportsCenter just had this Michael Jordan retrospective...damn that dude was money!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, how have the Redskins not signed Matt Bryant yet? Dude hit a 60 yard game winner a couple years ago! You can't get Suisham to hit a 60 yard game winner in an empty stadium with a 30 yard handicap!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to believe the idea that all we've seen of this year's offense is dilute vanilla.Posted by: bostskin"

If they've employed any other flavor, I haven't seen it. They basically stood there and let Baltimore blitz them into the ground. They showed a little against Pitt and a little more against New England, but nothing that I would call a legit WCO. I'd argue we haven't seen Zorn's offense yet. Maybe because he's playing possum, or maybe just because the team was so unprepared to execute it last year.

A switch from Saunders to Zorn is a really big switch for any QB. But ultimately I think Campbell will do better in the WCO than he ever did for Saunders.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 9, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 8:36 AM

Which is what I was saying down here for the past month....

Reality starting to kick in! Clayton pegged us @ 11 wins! Power Rankings!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Most significant in this article is that DEVIN THOMAS and FRED DAVIS are missing from the picture of those newbie receiver REDSKINS working to improve themselves. So while the extra work allows MITCHELL and KELLY to make strides in their careers, DAVIS and THOMAS improve at a slower pace.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Yea I had seen that too.

No disrespect to the rest of this years HOF class, but MJ should be going in alone.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 9, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | September 9, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"The 'skins have a superbeast on the team... his name is Marko Mason.Posted by: RedDMV"

Yes, I understand he stands 6'4" when he's catching and 5'9" when he's running.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 9, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

brownie:

That's because he can't kick the ball 60 yards. Witness his KO's, which ideally settle near the goal-line. But they never do, often landing on the ten or fifteen. How the "H" can the kicking team stuff the kick returner inside the twenty? The opposing team more often than not starts between the twenty and thirty. That's significantly important to the outcome of most games.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Pashos was signed in SanFran yesterday.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

buy me a coke 4th!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 9:56 AM

Why would I do that??? I got free cokes in my fridge at work.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

AGNONE. Based on his REDSKINS performances in the x-season, good riddence.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 9, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow......

Leave Ellis Lankster alone
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2009 10:04 AM ET
As most of you know, we've got a soft spot for NFL players with connections to West Virginia University.

One guy to whom we've taken a shine this year is cornerback Ellis Lankster, an undersized seventh-round pick who made the team in Buffalo, thanks in part to a two-interception performance during a preseason game against the Bears.

So we're reluctant to give Lankster a hard time for his post-game media comments from that game. But several of you have sent the video to us, and the e-mails will continue until we post something about it.

Clearly, the kid was nervous. And we hope that he'll have plenty of opportunities to hone his press skills via a long and successful NFL career.

That said, did we laugh a little at his broken lawnmower/Miss South Carolina routine? We'd be lying if we said we didn't fall out of our chair and break our jaw against a cabinet.

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top
Alleged victim in Harrison shooting dies
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2009 9:50 AM ET
In the item posted earlier this morning regarding the case against Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, we mentioned the Marvin Harrison situation in Philly as proof of the reality that, sometimes, prosecutors opt not to pursue charges out of fear that a conviction can't be obtained, even if prosecutors subjectively believe that a person is guilty of a crime.

The mention of the Harrison case caused me to make a mental note to check on the status of the most recent twist -- the July 2009 shooting of the man who claimed that Harrison shot him in April 2008.

Coincidentally, a reader has submitted a link to the newest development. The man who was shot seven times on July 21, Dwight Dixon, died on Friday.

Before slipping into a coma, Dixon reportedly told police that he believes Harrison was behind the shooting, apparently because Dixon had sued Harrison as a result of the April 2008 incident involving a gun owned by Harrison.

In late July, police served a search warrant at Harrison's aptly-named Playmakers bar in Philly. The search was aimed at checking footage from surveillance cameras for images of the man who can be seen in separate surveillance video captured at the scene of the shooting.

Absent compelling evidence that either has not been uncovered or disclosed, it now appears that Harrison is in the clear as to both incidents.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

you don't have to yell at someone to lead, and you're not in the huddle, or at practice, or in the locker room, so there.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse