Campbell vs. Cutler: The jury's still out

While watching the San Francisco 49ers' 10-6 victory over the Chicago Bears on Thursday night, I couldn't help but wonder what the reaction around these parts would be if Jason Campbell threw five interceptions in one game.

I know Jay Cutler supposedly has a higher "ceiling" than Campbell, and successful football people I respect have often told me Cutler has more potential than the Redskins' quarterback. But it all comes down to what you do on the field, right?

The 49ers, who don't exactly have the league's best pass defense, picked off Cutler five times. Cutler also threw four interceptions in Week 1 against Green Bay, has 17 in nine games and a 76.0 passer rating. He has been sacked 19 times.

Campbell has nine touchdown passes, eight interceptions and an 86.5 quarterback rating. He has been sacked 25 times.

By Jason Reid  |  November 13, 2009; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis, Betts and practice, practice, practice
Next: Rinehart ready for another shot

Comments

1st to say...

Wow...just wow.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 13, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The jury may be out on who will be more defined by mediocrity, but the jury is IN on at least one issue.

No friggin' way Jay Cutler looks worth the price that the Bears paid to get him.

At least our mediocre QB is still on a rookie contract.

Posted by: p1funk | November 13, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Neither QB is helping their team win. One is definitely losing games for his team. Once again, Dan and Vinny saved from making a bad trade.

Panties.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins site continues to put up these "4 keys to the game" postings which is just laughable. The team can only dream that are just 4 holes in the dike... so, I submit my own, more realistic "4 keys to the game":

1. The Bronco's team must all come down with the flu. Not the sniffly achey kind, but the kind where you have to glue your butt to the toilet seat and put your feet in stirups.

2. The Redskin must replace their traditional Gatorade cooler with a mixture of Red Bull, that stuff that Bane takes in the Batman comics and Mad Dog 20/20.

3. Jason Campbell needs to be packing a tranquilizer gun and needs to put down Elvis Dumervil early. If he gets a clear shot at Champ Bailey, he should take it, but who are we kidding? Campbell can't hit them deep.

4. At half time the Redskins must be visted by the ghost of Vince Lombardi who will give the team a rousing speech on what it means to not stay medium in which he will state, "Winning isn't everything, - oh, what would you know?"

Those are my four keys to winning on Sunday.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 13, 2009 11:52 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 13, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I get the point here... this team has greater problems than just the QB. Whether it was Cutler or Campbell or Sanchez this squad isn't going to win. The culture needs to change first, not necessarily the QB.

Posted by: HollywoodPlayboy | November 13, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I was talking about Alex Boone on the 49ers practice squad, the rookie out of Ohio State, not Alex Barron, I don't want him at all.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 13, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Ah, I got my alex's mixed up. I was talking about Boone but called him Barron. Boone was the one from OSU and he's the one with the alcohol problem. We should pick him up if he's still on the practice squad.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 13, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm good with neither on the team. I think DC will do better w/ a Collins/Colt/Woodson/whomever QB battle next summer. O-line and RB 2010, maybe a late flyer on a QB; Locker in 2011.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler looks alot like Jeff George.

Posted by: knight1977 | November 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

What's your point JReid.......they both suck.

Posted by: gixxer998 | November 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If you guys aren't sick enough yet about the offensive line check out this article. Heyer has given up 6.5 sacks and given an average of 2.8 seconds of protection on them. Most of our sacks have come in under 3 seconds. No QB could be good here. How can Vinny still say this isn't his top priority? This is disgusting and it's only going to get worse.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 13, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

JAy Cutler doesn't even have real WR. He just has a legit TE. 3/5 passes weren't on him. But those 2 in the Red Zone were def all him......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 13, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Cutler had a superior line and arguably superior receivers in Denver. Bears' #1 receiver is Hester, who entered the league as a DB/returner. ESPN's post game analysis inferred that 3 of Cutler's 5 picks were unforced, meaning Hester fell down on one and was out of position on another and the 3rd should have been pass interference.

I'm not a huge Cutler fan, but I do like the way he makes quick reads and flings the ball around. I'd rather have a Brett Favre type who comes with interceptions than someone who holds the ball too long and can't read where to pass it quick enough.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 13, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Cutler BLOWS. Where are all the Cutler slurpers from back when?

Not saying JC is great, but Cutler would have made NO difference here... in fact, maybe even worse. A guy like that will make more mistakes than Campbell when constantly under pressure.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 13, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If he doesn't try to force those two in the Red Zone, Bears win 13-10, at least. I think a stat I saw last night said that 7 of his picks going into the night were Red Zone picks. And looking at the video of the first one, there really just wasn't one of his guys anywhere near the ball.

He's actually losing games for his team this year, rather than not winning them. I'd rather have a quarterback who will manage a game than one who will actively attempt to lose games.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | November 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

QB rating

Campbell - 86.5
Cutler - 76
Sanchez - 67.6

read 'em and weep , haters

My jury isn't still out, Campbell's the man! Snyd-rrato wanted someone else, Snyd-rrato sucks, therefore Campbell.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I wish we'd landed Cutler because then we'd have had a shot at being spectacularly bad instead of just depressingly lousy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

no matter who the QB is..its all about W's and L's if JCampbell was winning its not up for debate but now that the skins are losing everyone is under evaluation. PERIOD.

Posted by: hammer4 | November 13, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What, is it Saturday morning around here? Come on guys, if there is nothing to read on here I may have to get some work done. On a Friday!

Someone needs to kick start this blog, kinda like the Skins need a kick start. You guys have no heart. Feels like a Skins practice around here.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

File this one in the "you gotta be kidding me" category -- sort of like,

"Which would you rather have -- crabs or herpes?"

The answer, clearly, is "none of the above."

Posted by: Vic1 | November 13, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It's just our Zorn-adopted lust for medium emerging.

hip hip whatever.

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

For the idiots who say no QB could be good behind our O line, tell me why Campbell wasn't lighting the world on fire when he was one of the least sacked QBs in the league after 4 games this year? 3 picks and a fumble against the Bucs? the 1-7 Bucs? At home?

HE WAS NOT RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE UNTIL SAMUELS WENT DOWN AND HE AND THE TEAM STILL SUCKED.

Quit making excuses. Excuses are for LOSERS!

Posted by: saqster | November 13, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Forecast: Sunny and 70 degrees in DC on Sunday! Are you:

A) Going to the game,
2) Watching on the teevee,
D) Thinking that 1 to 4pm will be an excellent time to take your kid to the zoo?

Posted by: 4-12 | November 13, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Broncos favored by 3.5

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Where are all the JC haters at? The people that are JC haters are the people that vinny and dan prey on, aka, morons. Not saying Jc is the answer, but there are about 100 other problems that need to be addressed before you can get a big name qb such as bradford/mccoy/god forbid tebow/claussen. Draft a line, draft an rb, keep jc until you have the LUXURY of picking a top tier qb. Top tier qbs only will be effective behind at least a DECENT O-line (see Ryan, Flacco). Peyton Manning is not walking throught that door, draft a line, keep JC on the cheap.

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | November 13, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

QB rating

Campbell - 86.5
Cutler - 76
Sanchez - 67.6

read 'em and weep , haters

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 13, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

You are a loser and a moron.

Our team is 2-6 and you are fired up about JC17's inflated mediocre 86.5 passer rating?

Posted by: p1funk | November 13, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

jeep jeep

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

the nfl only has 5 to 6 top ranked QB's everyone else is OK! so just deal with it you fantasy football FANS!!! We've NEVER had a Peyton or Tom Brady dude..real skins fans know we are and always will be a run first (pound the rock) team..no run = no W's.Then, play action pass team. anything less will be uncivilized.

Posted by: hammer4 | November 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Those are my four keys to winning on Sunday.

Nice list but the 'skins still lose by seven. In Number 4 you do have, however, an excellent episode for Ghost Hunters.

"If you're in the room, Vince, turn on my flashlight."

Posted by: TheCork | November 13, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Cutler's numbers will look a lot better next year after Shanny replaces Lovie. I don't care what stats you produce - Jason Campbell doesn't belong in the same sentence with Jay Cutler.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 13, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Cutler sucks. I pointed out to my buddy in Chicago who was so stoked when the Bears got him. He is the new Jake Plummer-- the guy who keeps both teams in the game with his TD and INT. Campbell and Plummer both threw 6 more TD than INT last year.

Neither is an elite QB. Chicago were fools for paying so heavily to get a mediocre QB. Anyone would put up big numbers getting sacked 12 times all year long and throwing to Marshall and Royal.

Posted by: calhokie | November 13, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so we're all sitting here arguing what is better, having a bucket of diarrhea or or a bucket of solid stool.

[Decide which is which as you will...but for the purposes of this exercise, please do remember the win-loss totals, and the # of TDs and INTs for each.]

Each is just a big bunch of crap, only in different forms.

Neither is particularly desirable (unless you are one WAAAAAYYY strange cat or chick) and the best thing to do with either is to dump and flush 'em.

I was nice, I waited until long after lunch to say that...

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 13, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I had a gut feeling when the whole Cutler Sweepstakes went down in the off-season that Cutler was the equivalent of a college football "system quarterback". The team around him and the offensive scheme made him look a lot better than he really was. He's not bad by any means, but the Bears had too many other areas of need to go spending that much of their budget on a QB.

There are only maybe 4-5 QBs in the NFL who could make a bad offense look decent, and I'm not even sure that Brady would be one of them, since he almost always has a good O-line. Peyton Manning is probably the only one who could get the ball out fast enough to avoid getting killed with the Skins' current mess of an O-line.

One of the few positive things I could see about Shanahan coming to D.C> is that he would insist on upgrading the O-line. His lines in Denver were annually among the league's best.

Posted by: acoberst1 | November 13, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I never wanted Cutler as a Redskin QB, he is just way too unpredictable and I have always felt this way about him.

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 13, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I played Div. I o-line in college but am now 39 yrs old with very bad knees. That said, I have little doubt that I could probably give as strong a performance as Heyer or Batiste. Campbell hasn't been good but the fact that his #s are what they are is near amazing.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | November 13, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5

You are right. JC is much better than Cutler. Chicago, meet the new Jeff George. Its funny to think how most on the RI wanted him in the trade with Denver. Cutler is exactly who I thought he was.

Posted by: dcwun | November 13, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Well - at least we know Campbell can take a pounding...for what ever that's worth. It's pretty sorry when all you can say is "our QB can take more hits than your QB"
Now.... who can take more sacks - Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell - now that's a question...

Posted by: whelms | November 13, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse