Campbell's 'Just Weathering the Storm'

Although the regular season has not started, the heat already is intense on Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell. The media and fans have dissected Campbell's performance, and there still are two weeks remaining in the preseason.

"Right now, a lot of negative things are out there that are outweighing the positive," Campbell said today. "I know what's going on."

Campbell has the second-most high-profile gig in the area (President Obama still holds the top spot, though some Redskins fans might disagree), but the scrutiny he has faced after playing five series spanning two games seems somewhat ridiculous. As the main writer on Redskins games for our print edition, I focused on Campbell's outing in Saturday's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field. He went 1 for 7 for only 10 yards as the first-team offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in as many games. Those are the facts.

I offered some perspective, I hope, by pointing out it is only the preseason. After the game, Coach Jim Zorn and Campbell explained Campbell made correct decisions in throwing away two passes on screens the Steelers read well.

Campbell was not in sync with wide receivers Santana Moss and Malcolm Kelly on deep balls, but again, that's why they play the preseason (and also so the league can make more money). After playing about the equivalent of a half in two games, Campbell has completed 30.8 percent of his passes and has a passer rating of 43.1. Obviously, those aren't pretty numbers.

"I watch film," Campbell said, "and for someone to think that I would want to be one for seven is crazy."

There's a lot at play here with the reaction to Campbell's performance and that of the first-team offense. The Redskins produced an average of only 16.6 points - ranking 28th in the 32-team league - last season. In the offseason, owner Daniel Snyder tried to trade for former Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler and considered drafting former Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez, whom the New York Jets selected with the fifth overall pick.

If an owner displays little confidence in his team's starting quarterback, why should fans? And after the Redskins' second-half collapse last season, I guess it's easy to forget how well Campbell played in leading Washington to a 6-2 record before the line faltered in pass protection and the receiving corps failed to produce a second productive wideout to help Campbell and Santana Moss.

Of course, the bottom line is that Campbell must produce with the talent around him, or he probably won't be the Redskins' starting quarterback much longer. Campbell knows that better than anyone, he said.

"I understand how big this year is and the magnitude of it," Campbell said. "But preseason is about trying things and seeing what would work. You can't be out here trying to play perfect for people so they can be happy. You have to work on things that could help us in the season.

"Right now, I'm doing a lot of good things that are not showing up in the stats, and that's fine because we're working on some things. It's not about the stats now. You're never going to please everyone anyway, but I'm confident in my abilities. I also know there are people out there that don't believe in me, and that's fine."

By Jason Reid  |  August 25, 2009; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Here's What I Think ...
Next: Bugel Pleased with O Line Personnel, Progress

Comments

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I like the new feature, better than blah, blah, blah ... front office sucks still

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Is everyone still posting on the last thread, that is oh so 10 minutes ago...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

As I wrote the other day, I'm a staunch believer in Jason Campbell, but I sure as hell want him to prove me right this season. By which I mean the regular season, not the preseason.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Whereas I get where Jason Campbell is coming from, I'd still put him on a short leash.

Fact is, the team's investment in its defensive core suggests a manager who can move the chains is what the offense needs to be successful: and a quarterback as manager is the most basic aspect of the job.

And if Campbell can't do that, maybe he can find a job watching tape...he says he's doing a lot of that already.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 25, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Who's over here, then? Oh, no one.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It's kinda interesting that everyone is talking about Campbell right now. I think the fact that everyone not panicking about the O-Line is a sign that they're playing well, so people have moved to the next thing on their list of "stuff to hyperventilate about." I am more confident about this team, thanks to the O-Line play, than I was a few weeks ago.

Posted by: CharlieF | August 25, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I'm here, and agreed, its put up, or shut up time for JC, as Joe T said before the game the other night, the 13 touchdowns he had last year, that needs to be either doubled, or more than doubled this year.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

JC shows no passion even in the interview...

We need a QB, that stays hungry (and can make a 2nd progression Read).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

We were 6-2 because CP and the Line and the D.

We were 2-6 because when we needed JC to step up, he didn't. You can't expect one RB to win all the games for you....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Campbell has been listening to the radio and reading the newspaper. He is so sensitive.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Got the Redskins local feed on Comcast in Houston Saturday night - why does Joe T refer to Zorn as "Zor-en"?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

hey beantown... I'm sitting on a beach in marblehead..nice day, eh?
did you see BB's interview??.. indirect put-down of the Skins non-offense..haha

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

snagm, nice, enjoy the day, you've got a good one.

No, didn't see the interview, can't stomach that guy......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I wish I shared your conviction in Soup, Nate. I share your enthusiasm, however, and likewise hope he proves the H8rs wrong.

But I don't think the criticism is purely on the preseason stats, but the manner in which they were obtained.

Did you feel confident after his performance? I wanted to, but couldn't.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Most humorless: (tie) Barno 1, zcezcest

Posted by: Rich_Milot | August 25, 2009 10:51 AM |

I think you meant Most Humor: Barno

At least that's what Chris Cooley thinks...

Posted by: Barno1 | August 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Chase Daniel's size?? Were'nt Theismann, Jurgensen and LeBaron the same height?? This guy has been shelved as too short all his football life, and he's always shocked the critics. I say his scrambling ability will be necessary if Samuels goes down and Campbell and Collins go down from the shelling.."I was trying not to get killed!!", said Theismann..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

...ummmm, because the people who the owner shows a lot of confidence in kinda suck

Posted by: ronjon629 | August 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Definitely starting to lose confidence in JC, but Week 1 will tell worlds more than any of these preseason games. That said, this game vs Pats will at least JC to stay in and try to establish a rhythm for a whole half.

Posted by: pgugino | August 25, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

With all this raving of Mitchell, is it conceivable that he might surpass Thomas on the depth chart?

Posted by: pgugino | August 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Campbell: ""I'm very confident and just weathering the storm at the moment," Campbell said. "I know that things will begin to happen."

Jesus. Is this the second reincarnation of Stuart Smalley in DC (the other one is over in the Senate)? How much more of this looking into the mirror and saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it ... " are we going to have to take from Campbell and Corn?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"You can't be out here trying to play perfect for people so they can be happy."

But can you please do better than 1 for 7 and 10 yards?

-JC needs to stop worrying about pleasing people and just go out there and produce. Why is he talking about making people happy? That's not important. He should talk about playing better and improving in Friday's game than talking about pleasing people.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think JoeyT said his TD #s had to be increased by at least 50%. Which would put it at, what, 19.25? I don't know how you get a 1/4 touchdown, but I think a 19 or 20 TD count in our division could put you in a good position, if our running game has a decent production as well.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM

Funny how you give him the blame for the collapse and NONE of the credit for the fast start. Don't you think not throwing a single INT the first half of the season helped this team go 6-2?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

ds, I thought he said his TD's needed to double, but whateves, point being that JT is correct, anything above 20 plus TD's, and I think that is a very successfull year, anything less, and I don't know......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Joe T said it needs to go up 50%, which would be 19-20 TDs this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM |

Because you don't mess with the Zoren.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Beaner.

And if he does manage to get 26 TDs, I think we can be VERY happy with the season.

That kind of production with our D could put us deep into the post season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216

You do know he was responding to a question right?

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

That kind of production with our D could put us deep into the post season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:43 AM |

And you deep in the grips of a fever dream.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:40 AM

If the ground game is up to snuff, then 20 TDS is more than enough. But sadly, probably not enough for JC to stay in DC.

Snyder wants him gone. He's ready for change and unless Campbell goes nuts and throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TDS, he'll be playing elsewhere next season.

I've got my money on Carolina or San Fran. And I'll say right now that the Niners become a title contender if JC is their QB. You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Our second team OLine will not come close to the level of OLine talent that will be cut over the next 2 weeks at the end of the NFL preseason.

I hope Vinny has the teams that are deepest in OLine personnel and talent well scouted for these impending releases...and is ready to pounce when the cuts happen..
Jaguars and Browns are two that come to mind..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

YOU HYPOCRITE!!!

"Here's what I think: Although it's only preseason, Campbell and the first-team offense obviously have not been sharp. Campbell made good decisions in throwing two balls away on screens the Steelers read well from the snap, but considering the offense's poor production last season, it's reasonable for fans to be concerned. The Redskins' offensive starters are expected to play at least the entire first half Friday night against the New England Patriots at FedEx Field. They need to have a good showing to avoid a crisis of confidence on the eve of the season."

YOU JUST POSTED THIS AND NOW IT'S THE FANS' FAULT?!?! YOU ARE THE MOST NEGATIVE PERSON IN HERE, DUDE!

Posted by: McMetal | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So Jason thinks he is just weathering the storm? Sorry Jason, but the storm hasn't even hit yet! Its barely even a slight drizzle right now. Just wait until weeks 4 or 5 when it will be a Class 5 Hurricane named Snyder and the only lifeguard on duty is Vinny. Good Luck!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"Why is he talking about making people happy?"

I love it when people see a comment and immediately blast it without knowing the context.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

After 5 years everyone is still trying to figure out what 1 thing Campbell does well. Sure, he's got great size, a strong arm, and a willingness to take a hit in the pocket. But none, not one of those qualities make him a good QB. He is inaccurate, has little touch, doesn't seem to see the field well, takes forever to get rid of the ball. These qualities are what have made him a less than average QB. Now, it is everyone's hope, including mine, that a little continuity, familiarity with the system, and experience will enable him to overcome his deficiencies; otherwise, the Skins will be in panic mode during the 2010 offseason.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | August 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

False Starts aren't actual plays.

To be honest. The blame is to be spread. But it was clear how we went 6-2. I just remembered too many missed opportunities by the offense and JC was usually in the middle of it, one way or the other......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I'm telling you I remain staunch in my belief in JC the man and the fubball player, and I'm in what seems to be a shrinking minority on that. I just want to see him do what he did the first half of last season -- do the things you have to do to be a winning quarterback -- for a whole season.

Doesn't matter what I think about him, though, because I do think the Skins are going to be rid of him if he doesn't have a great year... unless he has a good year and the team has a great year (say, conference champ game) in which case it would be tough to cut the QB.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell Just Needs To Become The Quarterback We Thought He Could Become When He Was Drafted Back In 2004": needs to be the title of the thread.

Dammit Jason we all want to believe that you're "him", "that dude", and so on! But you're not giving enough fans confidence to believe in you.

Make like Busta and give us some more!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

yikes....little ahead of yourself there brown....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I like it when no one is here...

Great Plaxico quotes

"My finger hit, like, right on the trigger," he said. "What are the odds on that happening?"

When asked why he didn't have a holster, Burress said simply:
"Bad judgment."

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Thanks for putting it into perspective for JC and reminding him that it's only preseason. I'm sure he hadn't realized that. The 1-7 is a bogus statline and all the MMQBs on here (including you) need to get back to neutral.

The bomb to Kelly was an all or nothing play in the rain and 2 other incompletions were busted plays in which he intentionally threw yard darts.

Maybe if Brennan gets cut, which he should and will, this "controversy" will be tempered. JC is a legit NFL QB that will perform if the pocket is protected for longer than a fart.

Posted by: steplight | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Joe T said about Campbell's TD's, that he needed to add about ten more, so that would be 23

Posted by: Skins281 | August 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Ummm...if it happened, I wouldn't be dreaming!..durrr..

Anyway, this is not my supposition, this is my clarification on the comments on what an announcer said... and my reaction to another comment.

But don't read or anything, just keep making SJK up and you'll be fine...
______________________________________
And you deep in the grips of a fever dream.
Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 11:45 AM

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It'll be interesting to watch how JZ handles each WR. There is a varity of styles in that mix. I'm not down on Devin yet. He offers something no other WR can offer besides Moss. He can take a short route to the house. I think Devin is the type of player that needs to get involved early in games. JZ should account for this. Get Devin involved with screens, crossing routes, or a go route this Friday.

Posted by: TWISI | August 25, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

weird, JC says all the right things with no passion or urgency and plays the same way. 1 for 7 when he had all day to throw....and can anybody please explain to me why we have a guy who has done nothing to be proud of yet in the NFL who everyone excuses his poor play away by saying he doesn't know the system and the best stretch of play in his tenure on the team happened when he got hurt and was replaced by his backup only is playing a series here or there. JC should be playing all game every game and should have last year as well.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"You can't be out here trying to play perfect for people so they can be happy."

But can you please do better than 1 for 7 and 10 yards?

Posted by: rachel216 | August 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

He was in reality 2 for 5.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

twis, agreed on DT...get him the ball, let him use his skill set, and see what the outcome is....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So Campbell is complaining he is being judged on preseason play.. well so is Collins and Colt and Chase yet I don't hear them complaining about it. besides for Campbell it isn't just this preseason.. it's last year finishing 2-6 with one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.. it's the year before losing the last 4 games he started before getting hurt only to see Collins win the next 4. What Campbell should be is THRILLED about is that Zorn isn't saying he is fighting for the starting job this year.. which he should be with Collins..

Posted by: sovine08 | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

The controversy in Philly leads to McNabb wanting out. Do we pick him up? He'd be a good fit for WCO.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse
Absolutely, but it's not going to happen. McNabb is one he// of a competitor. And can we fit him under our cap?

re-Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

It's easy not to throw picks, when defenses aren't aligned in formations that have them ready to defend the pass first. And it's easy not to throw picks when you're screening, slanting, checking down the defense to death.

They weren't stacking the box the first eight games, not yet anyway. It wasn't until they realized that the passing game, which includes pass blocking, and Jason Campbell was suspect, they started stacking the box on Portis.

That no picks stat is overrated. Sort of like Brunell completing 20 something passes in a row against Houston a few years back. Again, it's easy to complete passes and not throw INTs when you're not going downfield.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

... if the pocket is protected for longer than a fart.

Posted by: steplight | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM |

"longer than a fart"? Some farts have been known to linger and wreak severe damage. Mebbe if each OL eats 4 cans of beans before the game and then toots at the start of each play Campbell will have a nice pocket to sextuple pump in.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"...well so is Collins and Colt and Chase yet I don't hear them complaining about it."

Are you serious?

No one is interviewing them...for a reason.
I'm sure they would find just as ridiculous to be judged from a limited sample.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM

So learning their offense on the fly won't be a problem?

If that was patronizing, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

lol @Yoder! I wish I was a Balmer fan. They got all my 'Canes. But I just can't. Skins' 'till DirtNAP!

Thx4 tha response Fritz. They always seem to make room when they want to, tho. Something tells me Donovan would go all "Favre" and want to play for his team's arch rival! hehehe.

I kinda just wanted to test the waters here, though, before I meet w/ Snyderrato and get them started on it...

...maps... [:-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

pump and dump
++++++++++++++++++

... if the pocket is protected for longer than a fart.

Posted by: steplight | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM |

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:01 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid, open your eyes and don't turn into another Jasno.

Campbell did as well as the team around him last year. He may not be the next coming of Payton Manning, but he is solid and capable of winning.

Most fans calling for his head are racist, period (Even African Americans can be against a black QB) The fan base here thinks that everything Snyder does is wrong. So how come now trying to get rid of Campbell is embraced as good decesion-making?

JC is absolutely right. Preseason is to explore new plans in game time pressure conditions. He missed a few throws, so what?

Jason Reid, you need to be a sport writer, not a gossip columninst, shame on you

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I was pleased that Zorn called a couple of plays that ... and Campbell took shots at ... deep throws.

What is disappointing is that Santana has no catches and ARE only has one.

I'm not panicked about the results of two quarters of first team offense. It was nice to see a sustained drive in there.

Lots of hustle by the second and third team guys ... like they are finally trying to make the roster or something ... that was what I liked seeing best.

This amateur GM is ready to release D.J. Hackett right now. I'm so pro-Marko Mitchell that I'd start letting the other WR competitors go in order to get released LBs in for tryouts. So far, my LB keepers are Orakpo, Fletcher, RockyMac, Wilson, and Blades. I don't have a good feeling about whoever it is behind RockyMac at WLB (other than the spare safeties ... I'm good with all five safeties ... there are only five on the roster now, right?).

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

defer payment to a no-cap year (2011).. nab mcnabb..
+++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

re-Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 25, 2009 11:57 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Most fans calling for his head are racist, period"

Wow...just wow....ufb....I'm shocked that people like this can actually log onto this site by themselves.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Campbell had a rough outing against Pittsburgh and Baltimore but let's see how others fared against those 2 defenses.

Kurt warner 6/10 0 TDs and 0 INTs bpoth drives ended in a punt.

Mark Sanchez Threw a pick6 and I don't think he had a completion before Ed Reed and Ray Ray hit the bench.

Soupy-
First Drive:
1-3 but hit Cooley for 10 yards and scrambled up the middle for 4 yards field goal.

Second Drive: Pooped the bed.

I'd say he didn't do that bad. He overthrew Kelly and threw too high for moss. Those were his fault. He had to throw the ball away a couple of times.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

JReid, you're a day late on the Campbell debate. I've already decided to quell the discussion with my one worthy adversary, learnedhand. This post is nothing more than lite entertainment reading.

The regular season will speak for itself.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

For just once I would like to hear a little passion for the game, a little accountability, out of Campbell instead of this publicity-speak mumbo jumbo. Maybe he should say he just wasn't accurate and it was his own fault. Maybe he should call Cooley out for missing a block or ARE for dropping a pass or Kelly for not running the right route. He is supposed to be the field general, but instead he sounds like he's just an observer sitting on the sidelines.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Also, I think Haynesworth is a hilarious interview. He doesn't seem willing be a celebrity, regardless of whether he is. The fact that he pulled himself for getting gassed, however, is a cause for concern."

Hopefully they're just feeling out what he can do. Bench-pressing three offensive linemen three plays in a row can be strenuous..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 11:58 AM

While I agree about the Brunell record in Houston, going 7 FULL GAMES without an interception has never been done before. And while the Redskins don't go downfield ENOUGH, they did go downfield (remember the TD to Moss to clinch the New Orleans game?)a handful of times. And considering this team is supposed to be a running team that relies on controlling the clock and playing solid D, protecting the ball is Job 1.

My point is you can't have it both ways with JC. He's underwhelming but you can't say he will COST you a game. He won't win 'em for you (which is a ridiculous expectation in this town), but he also won't lose 'em for you either.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

good point Yodee... I bet the Ravens OLine cuts can beat out our OLine pf cast offs..
Hope Vinny is keeping an eye on the OLine cuts around the league.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 11:59 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe he should call Cooley out for missing a block or ARE for dropping a pass or Kelly for not running the right route. He is supposed to be the field general, but instead he sounds like he's just an observer sitting on the sidelines"

Because thats how Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. conduct themselves. Call out your teammates, and blame them......maybe we should pursue Jeff George, or Ryan Leaf if thats what you're looking for.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

And Nate, you didn't answer my question! ;-]

Here's a valid question which I don't think was raised nor answered during camp at ALL... How did the deep balls between Campbell & Moss look?

Those two have had a disconnect since Campbell got the starting job. Not saying it's Soup's fault AT ALL... but just sayin' is all...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

So learning their offense on the fly won't be a problem?

If that was patronizing, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 25, 2009 12:03 PM

Apology accepted.

And I said they would become a contender, didn't say what year. That's a young team overall and they have an excellent coach. Smashmouth philosophy that doesn't ask the QB to win the game. Perfect situation.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"How did the deep balls between Campbell & Moss look?"

Check out Matt Terl's blog from yesterday's practice. He said the offense was a little out of sync (although definitely catching up to the defense in overall fluidity), but the few perfect executions (route + pass + reception) were pretty much all Campbell-to-Moss.

Posted by: psps23 | August 25, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"For just once I would like to hear a little passion for the game, a little accountability, out of Campbell instead of this publicity-speak mumbo jumbo."

Let's be real here. You wouldn't give a SJK about all that if the team were 11-5. You think Niner fans back in the day were saying, "Man, I wish Montana would show a little more fire...he's just too quiet."

You can wrap up all your complaints in adjective filled rants, but at the end of the day: winning cures all.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 12:09 PM

All I am saying is...That has been his main problem for 3 years. Accuracy and throwing to Moss high.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

So break out JC!

Posted by: elfreako | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone else watch the Ravens O-line last night and have to wipe the drool from their shirt?Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

No for me. Newsome has done a great job replacing his aging o-line over several seasons (a model for the whole league), but the lnie itself isnt IMO among the top ten in the NFL. Looking at last year, I wouldn't compare them to the Giants or Carolina in terms of run blocking, or Indianapolis or New Orleans as pass blockers, or Denver for the combo.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Second Drive: Pooped the bed.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 12:09 PM |

Googled "poop the bed" and got:

Why do I poop the bed? Most people pee the bed, but I however poop the bed?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If this is a serious question, then it's not normal for that to happen. Basically your brain normally sends out a signal to slow down the action in that part of your body so BM doesn't occur during sleep.

It's worth a doctor's visit to have things checked out.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM

Gotta admit it's not hard to overthrow Moss...dude is only an inch taller than the black elf from "Bad Santa". Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, gotta love the irony that the Redskins are trying to become a WCO passing team and the Niners are turning into a smashmouth running team. I would gladly trade rosters with SF right now...

Posted by: brownwood26"

Well, now isn't that special?? Gibbs' smashmouth quarterback is still around as we transition to the WCO..Consistency has never been the Snyder organization's trademarks..Zorn's WCO oil to Campbell's water, great eye, Jedi..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Campell was 1-7 10 yds, 2 were over throws/ 2 throw aways because of pressure (o-line) and mostly runs were called. Cant blame him on everything. Its Zorn too!
Campbell needs to find a rhythm and sometimes it takes more than 1 quarter of play...

Posted by: ocskins | August 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 12:13 PM
--------------------------

for once, I agree with Frak Johnson.

Also, Let JC play in peace. We'll be in much better shape if he does well! Calling for his head before a regular season game is played is childish

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Soup needs to take more chances and not worry so much about negative plays. This team is good enough to win the East if he has a break out year.So break out JC!
Posted by: elfreako"

And make sure you knock yourself out in the preseason, when the games don't count. That's the ticket to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Coach Zorn, please do not subscribe to a particular "offense" (West Coast, East Coast, Just Toast, etc)

Play your teams strengths against your opponents weaknesses.

Saying that we play West Coast offense, is like going to battle and announcing to your enemy that you only bomb them from a particular distance!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I want JC to succeed, but the statute of limitations is right around the corner, The Future Is Now, Georgie..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

" Looking at last year, I wouldn't compare them to the Giants or Carolina in terms of run blocking, or Indianapolis or New Orleans as pass blockers, or Denver for the combo."

I saw an all-out blitz from the Jets and there wasn't a guy within 5 feet of Flacco. Maybe I got a little excited/angry.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

brown why is that a "ridiculous expectation"?

As a QB it is expected for him to win games. Maybe not all by himself, but for just one game I want to be able to say multiple times:

"Man, that was some suspect blocking, but JC stepped up nicely in the pocket to avoid the sack and put in Cooley's bread basket."

"Wow, Moss was getting jammed on that route, but Campbell placed the ball perfectly where only Moss could make a play on it."

I rarely find myself saying that. Rarely. Every time a receiver has just a "baby blanket" on them JC checks down, if he's the primary target and they don't have a "winter comforter" on the receiver, then dammit take a chance and throw it in his direction! Give your receivers a chance to make a play on the ball.

But Campbell is "pick shook". Gibbs, "the master of conservation", drilled into Campbell's head about how absolutely terrible it was to throw INTs. And, as you should know an INT isn't always the fault of the QB. But we wouldn't know if it is, or it isn't because Campbell doesn't "go downfield ENOUGH". And when he does, MOST of the time he's off target.

What's that space called between below average and average, (barely average?) That's where Jason Campbell is.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The reality is...the way the front office mismanages the draft, the draft picks, and the F/A transactions.......there is never going to be the PERFECT 11 lining up on offiense......Therefore ,the QB has to be able to rise above his surroundings.....

He MUST be a leader, and be a playmaker, who can finish drives that, if he even gets into the RED Zone, ....HE MUST be able to finish the deal......

That IMHO is NOT ever going to be .....Jason "3 and Out" Campbell....

But he can have 3 regular season games...2 against mediocre teams ...to put up the required offensive numbers....or..... SIT the fxxx DOWN.......

Posted by: unc1dmo | August 25, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

A lot of that has to do with changing offenses every year. It takes time to learn routes and get your timing down. You aren't throwing to a receiver, you're throwing to a location that the receiver should be. That takes a lot of skill and practice. You also have to keep in mind that he now has to get his timing with Kelly, Thomas, (hopefully Mitchell) at #2 and Moss or Randle El working out of the slot. There is a lot of new stuff going on here and it's being tried agianst arguably the 2 best defenses in the league. He hasn't fared well against those 2 but neither has anybody else. If Kurt Warner can't play well against them then why do we expect Campbell to? Sanchez got completely dismantled on his first drive and played the Ravens lite on his next couple drives. I'd be willing to bet Campbell has a string showing this week against NE.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

yall trip me out. do we get rid of colt? he's had a crappy preseason too? how bout collins? has he produced a scoring drive? do yall really think anyone else on the roster gives us a better chance to win?

I hear all this talk bout campbell not being fiery enough and his pc answers. i think it's b/c he doesn't care what the media and the fans are saying right now. he has a job to do and that's get his team ready for the reg season. JC could throw for 4000 yds and 25 tds in the preseason, but if he's garbage during the regular season it wouldn't matter. I feel good about JC not just throwing the ball up for grabs like Colt has done the past two weeks and collins did this week.

and by the way, if you're a qb throwing to malcolm kelly, devin thomas,roydell williams,dj hacket, and marko mithcell (all over 6'1") you might let it sail a time or two when throwing at your only 5'9" reciever. there's only accuracy issues on passes to Moss and deep balls. both are correctable. lay off campbell, yall didn't want vick, tell me who we can get now better than campbell and don't give me a guy who's been picked off by 2nd and 3rd teamers

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

unc1dmo,

You were calling us "Deadskins" yesterday.

Are you posting as Redskins fan or as Cowdung?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I am not panicked but I do like pancakes!

(damn living up to most retarded is hard)

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10,

Thank God somebody is posting here with active brain cells. Agree with you.

The fandom here mainly consist of real-life losers who feel free to act like spoiled children on these boards!!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

(damn living up to most retarded is hard)

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

...But you make it look easy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 12:32 PM |

Balto's OL is otay but nothing to get excited about. Flac got sacked and the run game was otay but nothing more. Speaking of Balto's run game, what's the deal with McGahee? He is behind Rice on the dc? McG is a year after Port out of the U and he did have that bad injury but that was some time ago and he did have good yrs at Buff. To be behind a hobbitt RU grad? Jesus. What is this world coming to?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Flash forward, Giants game, Redskins leading 10-7, Campbell goes deep.....intercepted.

What should we do? Start Collins?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM |

not really. The footballoutsiders analysis pointed out he has been among the more accurate qbs, and moss has more drops than people realize. Not great start to the preseason, but JC will be fine, especially if the line and MK12 continue looking good. I just hope when he does, his detractors disappear as quickly as the pro-Brennan crowd.

Posted by: AdamCr | August 25, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd be willing to bet Campbell has a string showing this week against NE.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 12:43 PM |

The one dangling from his jock strap?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Ouch Etrod!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't feel bad CL. At least you made the list!

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Most fans calling for his head are racist, period (Even African Americans can be against a black QB)" - peaceful2008

How can you call yourself "peaceful" but insinuate, more like decalre, that people who question his play and abilities are racist, when there is NO EVIDENCE AT ALL that proves this alleged, preconceived "fact"?

I think it's clear that I'm Black. I'm not sold on Jason Campbell, most fans aren't and have damn good reason to be. Read some of the post that question Campbell's ability. Most of them make valid points, but was sad is while you're wearing your "black pride" shades you totally ignore those points.

You know on the flip side, most people can say that Jason Campbell supporters are racists, or black people in particular. And the only reason why these "supporters" are in his corner is because he's "a black quarterback".

This is what pisses me off about "my people". We ALWAYS only agree, or support something or someone because we can "identify" with it. F*** man, sometimes you have to look at the world in other colors, not just BLACK and WHITE!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Campbell will be the starting QB barring injury or complete meltdown. He is the ultimate glass half full/empty player giving just enough evidence to make a strong case either way. It is his year, it will all be seen and if he is still half full/empty he wont be back.

The scary scenario is that he has an all-pro type season and then bolts flying the double bird at Snyder and the team.

Oh and I love shiny objects.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"To be behind a hobbitt RU grad?"

Rice was right up at the top of leading rushers NCAA a coupla years in a row..He'll be the second coming of Joe Morris..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 12:22 PM |

Whatevs, Einstein.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

if the problem is him missing moss and nobody over 6 foot i think moss is the guy to go not JC, right. i think it's not too late to get the offense on the same page before we blow it up.

i hate to play the race card, but no one is calling for brady quinn's head, no one is talking bout cutting alex smith, didn't bmore just sign jon beck from mia? none of the above mentioned qbs has distinguished themselves in the NFL in any way, however no one is asking for their job. but JC,VY and Leftwich get run out of town on a rail.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

amen red....sometimes you can't fix stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

Bull taco..JC has been given 5 years to show his kung-fu, and the slippers ain't shiny..Leftwich signed a better deal elsewhere, and Vince Young?? Let's make him a Redskin, yay-us..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

amen red....sometimes you can't fix stupid...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:00 PM |

But there are brain farts that have been known to happen. And some of them last "longer than a fart".

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

TLoad - I usually post on a forum with preview so I'll be ham fisting typos for a few days. As for McGahee, he is not a good fit for the Ravens running style. They like to run downhill through the tackles. Ray Rice is kind of like a MJD clone. He'll blast staright through into the next level before anyone hits him. McClain will knock people over. McGahee is better in space where he can make people miss. If he would adjust his running style he would probably be more productive but he is getting a little old to start playing a more physical running style.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV,

How else can you explain the lack of logic for JC-hating?

The guy has done ok as a starter, certainly has not underperformed the rest of offense, and is a class act on and off the field. People want "Colt Brennan" to start??!!

Nobody gives him credit when he does well. People question his intelligence?

Maybe it is just a case of spoiled and impatient fans, but you cannot deny a touch of racism there, just MHO

And I am not black, btw

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Most humorless: (tie) Barno 1, zcezcest

Thats not funny

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I love pancakes, too. I would gladly eat pancakes every day of the week.

I will say I've become something of a syrup snob, though. It's real maple syrup all the way, baby.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

" hate to play the race card, but no one is calling for brady quinn's head, no one is talking bout cutting alex smith, didn't bmore just sign jon beck from mia? none of the above mentioned qbs has distinguished themselves in the NFL in any way, however no one is asking for their job. but JC,VY and Leftwich get run out of town on a rail."Posted by: lilhollywood10

Folks in SF have been calling for ritual decapitation of Alex Smith since his first season (and in SF, there are people who actually know how to do that sort of thing.) The fanz and the media in Miami quickly decided John Beck was a complete waste of valuable air space, and if Brady Quinn wasn't a local hero along the lines of LeBron, they'd be dumping Nehi on his head whenever he strayed near the Dawg Pound.

Likewise, Jason Campbell's big mistake was to become the starter. Everybody knows that Skins fans blame the starting QB for everything. If he'd just stayed a backup, they'd be feting him in the National Cathedral beneath burning effigies of Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
I'd take a fiery quarterback that has a little passion for the game over the talking head the Redskins have now... any day.

Jeff George and Ryan Leaf were quarterbacks that would not be accountable for their own shortcomings. I am not saying Jason should become like that. In fact, I am saying just the opposite. He should step forward when it is his fault, but when his guys goof up, he should be letting them know, and letting them take the heat.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Someone extremely annoying and repititious is conspicuously absent today. I believe Cyn deserves a heart felt thank you.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I love pancakes, too. I would gladly eat pancakes every day of the week.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM

Dude's starting to sound like Skippy with his Lemon Meringue Pies.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 25, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

RI regulars:

Pay no mind to peaceful2008 (aka hire_marty_s)

He posts under a variety of handles (too many to enumerate.)

The man is certifiable.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

One of his handles is scampbell1975.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Nate.

Real maple syrup and JC is a good, not great QB.

F_preseason. I want Real football.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 25, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

How very shortsighted of you lilhollywood. VY got exactly what he deserved, he's not very good. Alex Smith just got 2nd stringed...again...and SF fans want to flog him. Don't think for a second that if Quinn bites it for 5 years that the Dawg Pound will want to bury him. You failed to mention the 14,000 other white QB's that have been blamed for everything since the fall of man.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

nate, could not agree more, there is real, maple syrup, then there is all that other stuff that 'claims' to be maple syrup....

rsh, fiery, sure, sounds good. Throwing teammates under the bus, and blaming others? Yeah, I'll pass on that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"One of his handles is scampbell1975.

Posted by: Chia_Pet"

Roger, we made him from the get jump as a Cackling Esmerelda in a Bernaise Psychosauce on a Toxic Traipse..Go get you some noose-trank, peaceful, the entire world will sigh in relief..

Posted by: frak | August 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

A _Stumped_ sighting!

From out of the moss, he emerges.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You when you just throw the race card out there like the three of diamonds, when it really matters, people are going to call bul****! Why? BECAUSE YOU PLAY IT ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!

With most 'skins fans it has NOTHING to do with racism. Are there some people who will never feel that a quarterback who is black could be a winner in the NFL? Sure, I know it is. But to say that most of the fans are racists, or to say that white QBs aren't met with the same equal amount of scrutiny -- is WRONG!

You play well. You shut people up. You win, you shut people up. Even though some still hated on Vick (mostly because he was a suspect passer), why do you think there wasn't anyone in Atlanta calling for him to be replaced? Becasue he won games for the better part he was in Atlanta.

And don't give me the Atlanta is most black, bs. So is DC, and there are a good amount of whites in Atlanta as well.

I swear to God, I'd wish black people would get off the "Slavery is holding us back" routine. Racism exists, people are racists, but it isn't the deciding factor in everything. It just pisses me off when "we" think like that about every damn thing, ALL THE TIME!!!

I'm going to go eat lunch now.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

All that backup syrup just sits there, I never use it, nor would I even in a pinch. I'd probably run to the store and buy more real maple syrup.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 1:05 PM |

Then why did The Wizard of Oz take him off Buff's hands a few yr ago?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

One of his handles is scampbell1975.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:11 PM

Dude I told you once, I'll tell you again. You're weak and petty. Give it up, you got nothin'.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go eat lunch now.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 25, 2009 1:17 PM |

Why go someplace you already are?

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

You and you're life partner frak are really very sad.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Of course people are being "racist."

I mean, it's not like Heath Shuler got bashed into oblivion (i.e., run out of town) or anything. Or Gus Frerrote either. Even after he knocked himself out in that Sunday night game with the Giants, the fans still showed him total support due to his skin pigmentation.

That is all.

(for now)

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Attention fans,

This message board is only for whining. Please check logic at the door before entering!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
That pancake/syrup comment was metaphorical right?

...right?

Chia,
I always check in, but I've been keeping my head down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth's jersey doesn't fit?

It sounds like Campbell's pants don't fit...

Posted by: ElYeah | August 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:14 PM |

real maple syrup = expanding wasteline

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

(sighs)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the pre-season as one game, JC is off to a slow start against the best defense in the NFL. That's it. Nothing more. We should be way more worried about depth on the OL.

Posted by: mack1 | August 25, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

How else can you explain the lack of logic for JC-hating?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:06 PM

Hello, and welcome to being a fan of the Washington Redskins professional football franchise. Perhaps you're familiar with Sonny vs. Billy; Joey T vs. Billy; We want Babe Laufenberg!; Jay vs. Doug; Doug vs. Ryp; Ryp vs. Stan; Heath vs. Gus; and on and on and on...

Posted by: 4-12 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and let's not forget how Patrick Ramsey was beloved by all the Redskins faithful, along with Mark Brunell, Shane Matthews, and John Freisz.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

so you don't think black qbs get a shorter leash? ours in particular?no one is saying get rid of colt and he's thrown no tds and 2 pick against guys who'll be bagging groceries. neither brennan nor daniel was thought very highly of by NFL football people other than the skins. however fans are ready to put the franchise in the hands either of them rather than the guy who led us to a 6-2 record before injuries and opposing defenses caught up with the team last year. the fact that some people consider todd collins a viable option should lend credence towards the idea that there has to be something motivating the jc hate other than football.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Nation Comment Template:

Blah, blah, bench Campbell in preseason, blah, blah, Snyder and Cerrato, blah, blah, gave up my season ticket, blah, blah am going to root for Ravens, blah , blah, JC went 1-for 7, blah, blah Redskins will never win another game, blah blah, Redskins will be 4-12 in 2009 after adding Haynesworth, RAK and Dockery to the 8-8 team, blah

blah

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 25, 2009 12:13 PM

This makes no sense, If he did that then we would jump all over him for being to emotional and throwing another player under the bus. you know how we do up here to Clinton Portis everytime he opens his mouth and says something emotional or critical of a teamate. We want to trade or cut him because he talks to much.

Make up your mind, do you want a player to speak his mind or say politically correct things?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 25, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

But of course we HATED Tony Banks.

For obvious reasons.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Attention fans,

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:21 PM |

So says the guy who blames the press and the fans for the team's mediocrity one day and then call Red a racist the next. Awesome. Thanks for the laugh peace.

Posted by: mack1 | August 25, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Trojan on the blog!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

How else can you explain the lack of logic for JC-hating?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:06 PM

Posted by: 4-12 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM
------------------------

four-twelve, that is not a tradition, that is called a disease and we need to nip it in the bud, lest we always have misery at QB

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Of course people are being "racist."

That is all.

(for now)

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 1:21 PM

And of course we all LOVED Patrick Ramsey.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

That last JReid post was pretty good, huh?
The mayor was encouraging us to be objective and separate the facts from our opinions...talk us hamsters down off the pre-season ledge as it were.

Hamsters don't have wings. Cling to the ledge people, cling to the ledge. Yes, I know its crowed up here, but cling to the ledge.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 25, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh right CL - try living up to "most avuncular" I'm like Walter Cronkite, or something.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 25, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

laugh or no laugh Mack1, I just wanna see us at 6-2 again by midseason.

I just don't understand why everyone is posting here if they are in love with Ravens or the Steelers?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

OK wait...can I bequeath my "Most Retarded" crown to peaceful2008...he seems to a much more deserving recipient.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM |
-------------------------------

Why? Collins has shown that he is still a capable QB.

So why would you think he wasn't a "viable" option?

Because he's 37?

That's ageism!

You've been outed.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I would say maybe what 10% of the anti-campbell stuff seems to come off as raciest.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I second cl's motion.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"real maple syrup = expanding wasteline"

Whatevs, Einstein.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My only advice for JC, at this point, is to relax.

He has the commensurate skills, but he needs to loosen up. The man is playing too tight, and too afraid to make a goof.

Let it rip, JC! Throw a pick? Who cares! You got nothin' to lose.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

sorry I missed a blah at the end of the template:

blah

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Brad Johnson got run out of town on rail after going 10-6 and winning the division (the only time we've down that in the last 17 years btw), Brunel was hated here, Ramsey never ever got a legit shot, it has nothing to do with JC being black, it is the nature of the position over all but specifically in Washington, if you don't win and win big you won't last long....in fact IMO JC has gotten a much longer leash than any qb other than Brunel I can remember since Danny took over and his play has never backed up that leash, at least Brunel got us in the playoffs and won a playoff game....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Frak's-Pet,

Who should start at QB for Redskins against the Giants openner?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"real maple syrup = expanding wasteline"

Whatevs, Einstein.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 25, 2009 1:32 PM |

Stung, didn't it!

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

(sighs)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

To all you cream puff nitwits out there,

Tell me how many times has Campbell taken the ball down in the last two minutes of play to win a game or scored in the last two minutes of the first half. Tell me, nitwits. Color ain't got anything to do with it. If it did, we ought to cut 90% of the team. It's the QB failing to perform and using this excuse of different offenses every year. Come on man, this aint rocket science. Ask Flacco, ask Matt Ryan.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 25, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

right!!!!

the guy went 6-2 with no interception and nobody gave him a credit and they tried to trade him twice!!!

He throws his first pick in the regular season and you geniuses will be calling for lynchin!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love whitey arguing racism while a brother says it ain't. I mean talk about post modern! Derrida is smiling somewhere!

Also love the irony face slap of whining about whining while calling fans who are suspect of Campbell racist.

I mean are we in goofyville or what?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

... in fact IMO JC has gotten a much longer leash than any qb other than Brunel I can remember since Danny took over and his play has never backed up that leash, at least Brunel got us in the playoffs and won a playoff game....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 25, 2009 1:35 PM |

Agree. The dud got special attention coaching, a watered down special ed playbook and he still laid an egg.

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Staphylococcus aureus = peaceful2008

Staph infections can be spread through contact with pus from an infected wound, skin-to-skin contact with an infected person by producing hyaluronidase that destroy tissues, and contact with objects such as towels, sheets, clothing, or athletic equipment used by an infected person.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 says:
"it is the nature of the position over all but specifically in Washington, if you don't win and win big you won't last long.."

-------------------------

And a lot of good that kind of childish whining has done for the Redskins. Beat up on the guys until he either fails miserably or runs out of town.

Self-fulfilling prophecy at its best! Loser fans get handed a losing QB

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I say everyone do what I did after reading through some of this. Go the the nearest store, get a pint of ice cream and enjoy.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Why did JC say this to JR in the latest interview. Dude was MAD!!!!

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Jason looked pretty good throwing the deep ball to Moss to beat the Saints last year. Was that lucky? Is Todd Collins making that play? I think he has all the tools and will put it together this year, it's easy to forget how close he is.

Also, what's better, cool or fiery? All I hear about is Joe cool flacco and cool Eli and why their demeanor is key. Then for rivers and cutler, their fire is the secret. Jason gets whiners either way.

I guess the lesson is, the only thing that matters is your record (unless of course your last name is jay cutler). Hail.

Posted by: AdamCr | August 25, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I was raiding the fridge a few days ago and saw that we had some leftover pudding and some leftover pancakes, and my mind grapes went to work... voila, pudding tacos!

True story.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey guy's I'm back !!!!!!!

Here's practice video from this morning !!!
kelly made a great catch !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

OK its becoming painfully obvious that peaceful2008 has read and subscribes to the philosophy of "The Secret"

If us fans just believed more! We could win superbowls every year! Stop putting out negativity into the world, it hinders the blocking scheme to work properly!!!! Tinkerbell can live if you just wish it so!!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I think you nailed it for me in your post. I would like the Skins to have a QB that is capapble of winning it for us. Instead of throwing away a failed screen pass, look downfield and throw it. Scramble, avoid the rush and make a play. Being too conservative creates too many games decided by 3 points or less and our D being exhausted. Refer to last years late season collapse for exhibit A.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Listening/Viewing assignment of the day:

Heath Ledger directed King Rat by Modest Mouse (All Float On, remember?) Probably the best non-cover of the Cure's 'Love Cats' I've heard in a while... hehe.
_________________________________

And fo the Maple Syrup lovers may I recommend: Butter, Peanut Butter & Real Maple Syrup on fresh homemade pfannkuchen! gah!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 25, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Nate

I kid you not that sounds awesome.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Butter, Peanut Butter & Real Maple Syrup on fresh homemade pfannkuchen = UM Fridge wasteline

Posted by: TLoad | August 25, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I was raiding the fridge a few days ago...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 25, 2009 1:44 PM

----------

Nate, it's your fridge.

You don't have to "raid" it.

That pudding is all yours. Put the SWAT gear away. You do as you please.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 25, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Chia! My fellow survivor of Trojanburg High! Where you blogging from these days?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 25, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 25, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I went back and watched the Ravens game again. One thing I noticed is that JC seems to really telegraph every play. To the point where all you need to do is look at what direction his eyes/helmet are pointing, and you know that's where he will throw it. He doesn't seem to ever look off the DBs and once he decides that a route is no good, he just moves on to the next one, never comes back and sees if there are further developments. I wonder if opposing defenses are going to try to use this against JC.

Posted by: zornskins2 | August 25, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

God I am sick of people making excuses for Campbell. Different offense, that didn't seem to bother Flacco and Ryan last year, who were ROOKIES. Look at the guy's record. He will never be better than a journeyman QB. Very telling that Denver did not want him in the Cutler deal. I am sure he is a good person, is nice to old ladies, dogs and whatever, but bottom line is the guy does not produce. Everytime he drops back to pass his feet are tapping and he looks like a deer caught in the headlights. I have bee a fan for over 50 years and there has never been a Redskin starting QB as mediocre as Campbell. If you want to put the best QB in there let Collins start. Campbell is not going to get you there.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | August 25, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

actually that's one reason I like jc. Last year he did against the saints, played well late against the cards, eagles too. He led a would be game winning drive against the rams the defense couldn't hold. Same in San Fran the d couldn't hold. Not throwing d under the bus but I think this year's d wins both of those games. Still he has to continue improving, we'll see against the giants.

Posted by: AdamCr | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"What's up with Chase Daniel's size?? Were'nt Theismann, Jurgensen and LeBaron the same height??"

Theisman 6', LeBaron 5'9", Jurgensen 5'11".
The shorter quarterbacks were at an earlier time, BUT THEY WERE BETTER COORDINATED THAN A LOT OF THE MORE RECENT PLAYERS.

Posted by: fwroy | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Refer to last years late season collapse for exhibit A.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse
refer to s.moss getting injured, r thomas gettin injured,steph heyer(a starter at the time) getting injured, kelly and thomas being injured, and defenses generally getting wise to zorn. yall r full of it. why did jc just decide to play the exact opposite of how he played the first 8 gms? he wasn't too cautious when we were 6-2. he was one of the best qbs in the league after our first 8.

brunell had to go as soon as we all saw he couldn't complete a pass to the sideline.he had only 1 3000 yd passing season. he was also 36 yrs old when he left wash after four years, but he's tearin the league up now so great example.

ramsey had four seasons here too. never threw more than 14 tds and was generally speaking one of our worse qbs i've seen.

way to pick two guys who really deserved to stay on the team for examples. jc has had 2 years as a starter and has shown progress each year. when JC balls out this REGULAR SEASON i want all the colt lovers to stay true and all the campbell haters to keep hatin.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The Skins just faced the TOP TWO defenses in the league and will face another great defense on Friday. The first team is only playing three or four series each game. The Cardinal's first team (you remember them, they were the offensive juggernaut who played in the Super Bowl last year) didn't score against the Steelers and the Ravens made boy Sanchez wish he was back in Cali.

Of course we all want to see them put up huge numbers and for Soup to have a perfect QB rating with TD bombs to Kelly, Moss and Thomas, but the defenses are getting paid too.

The people who don't like Campbell will find a reason to want to get rid of him and the Redskins fans will look at things with a little perspective

Posted by: ronjon629 | August 25, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

If the 'Skins have a good year (say, 10-6), make the playoffs, and Campbell just plays well (say, 3200-3500 yards and 20 or so TDs), both Campbell and Zorn will be asked back. Snyder wants to win, and not even he is stupid and egotistical enough to dump a playoff-calibre QB-coach combination, especially one that would be, in such a scenario, improving. Anything short of those benchmarks, and at least one, and probably both of the duo are gone.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 25, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

thx for keepin it 100. i just couldn't get the stats quick enough, but i think all of Campbells passer stats go up in the 4th quarter and he does have the ability to lead game winning drives. he just doesn't chuck it enough for some folks.

and to all you ryan and flacco fans. Jaws said on the monday night game that bmore ran the ball more than any team in the league last year to protect their rookie qb. check turner's numbers in atl too. those are running teams who had rookies as game managers.

all those discounting the importance of offensive continuity i challenge you to go to work tomorrow and do your job exactly the opposite of how you've dbeen doing it. then the next day change it again. and again the next.see if your results aren't uneven at best.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I like how he tried to throw the o-line under the bus for the terrible second half last year. It's a team game so everyone's at fault, but how do you think Clinton Portis was the league MVP last year 9 games in? Also, go look at Big Ben's sack number's (hint, he was sacked more than Campbell last year)...and he's a super bowl champion

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

at season's end campbell won't take the money good season or not. he's outta here. it's obvious that some area fans would rather see him chuck it down the field irrespective of coverages or defensive pressure. they want him to be brett farve. JC knows that fans won't tolerate that from a black qb.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The problem with this scenario is that with a screen, the idea is for your o-linemen to let the pass-rushers through, then go out to block for the pass catcher. Consequently, the QB usually doesn't have time to look downfield, and trying to scramble and make a play would probably result in a sizable loss or a turnover more often than it would a big play for the offense. Curious how all you Campbell-bashers out there want JC to take more chances with the ball. Yet, I wonder how many of you would be among the first to jump all over him if he started turning it over.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 25, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

rbpalmer,

it's called lose-lose situation. For our "loser" fan base, it's is easy to focus on the losing situation because they are afraid of disappointment. They propbably approach their daily life wit the same cowardly attitude. Hate, JC, hate JC, and when he does poor, it's "just as I predicted"

You cannot cut through the negativity here with a stadium sized machete!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 25, 2009 1:45 PM
------------------------------------

Sorry to blow your bubble of doom and gloom dude. Just ignore me and keep on hatin.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 25, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse
3 of 5 starting o linemen got hurt during the middle and end of the season last year, so while they aren't to blame it is logical to think that if the o-line wasn't all that strong to begin with, they didn't get betteer losing thomas,samules and heyer. portis also had a stretch of 5 str8 100 yd games during the 1st half (8 weeks) of the season he only hit 100 one more time in the following 8 weeks, but i guess that was JCs fault too.

ben is a sb champ b/c zona couldn't hold a lead or b/c Saint-Tonio made a great catch on a questionable big ben pass. either way i'd say the sacks weren't all of the problem, but you do have to look at when the sacks occured. being sacked on 1st and 10 is way different than being sacked on 3rd a 6.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Joe Flacco threw 1 more TD than Campbell and 6 more INTs. Flacco threw for 300 less yards and had a worse QB rating and a worse completion percentage. Flacco was sacked less than JC. He fumbled 4 more times than JC. I can't think of any reason why you would think Flacco played better than JC last year.

Matt Ryan threw 3 more tds and 5 more INTS than JC. Ryan threw for more yards and had a better rating but he was only sacked 11 times. Keep in mind that JC played a much tougher schedule than both of those guys.

Now, what's the schedule like this year for soupy? It's very weak compared to last year. Last year he played 6 games against top 5 ranked passing defenses. This year Pitt and Baltimore are being replacd by the AFC Worst division.

Let's compare head to head with like opponents
Lions
Campbell 328 yards and a TD 0 INTs
Ryan 161 yards and a TD 0 INTs

Saints
Campbell 321 yards 1TD 0 INTs
Ryan 315 yards 1TD 1 INT
Ryan 248 yards 2TDs 0 INTs

ST Louis
Campbell 208 yards 0 TDs 0 INTs
Ryan 160 yards 1 TD 2INTs

Eagles
Campbell 176 yards 0Tds 0 INTs
Campbell 144 yards 0TDs 0 INTs
Ryan 277 yards 2 TDs 2INTs

If you think Ryan or Flacco is better than JC then you'll be in for a rude awakening if either of them come to the NFC East. I call this the Clinton Portis effect. People talk about how he got worse since he came here but he's just playing gainst better defenses.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 25, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

OMG I HATE PRESEASON SO MUCH.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

To PAskinsfan17 and all you other statistic wonks. You're missing the two most important: POINTS SCORED and W's!

Posted by: bones21 | August 25, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's see how Campbell does against a defense that was not ranked in the top 2!!!!! in 2008.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | August 25, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17 you are good person at telling sports things.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | August 25, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

my heart goes out to you PAskinsfan17 some folks here just want a scapegoat and who better than the black qb who's done everything each different coach has asked him to do. if campbell was as bad as some think he is he wouldn't be here, Danny would go with Todd or Colt or F'in Jeff George. he knows that JC is hi best option, that's why there were no offers for vick (an adequate backup to todd if they cut campbell)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | August 25, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is Flacco and Ryan got their teams in the end zone. Campbell did not. I hope he has a great year and proves me wrong, but until he gets us touchdowns instead of field goals I will be skeptical

Posted by: rmcpks73 | August 25, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

200th

Posted by: BMACattack | August 25, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Here's what's up with Chase Daniel's size. He's built like Doug Flutie and looks like Dan Fouts. We need him. Collins the starter, Daniel 2nd team, Brennan practice squad, Campbell high school coach Mississippi.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 25, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see a young Brees in Daniel? Similiar size, college career, and field moxey. Wishful thinking, huh?

Posted by: Spanglerg | August 25, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Nobody, but Nobody has said anything about the play calling. You have a QB with and arm and you are throwing 3 screens out of 7 passes. Were is the mid-level passing game. 10yd outs, Square ins and drags that other west coast teams use? The offense is limited by play calling. Good coached put players in favorable positons. I don't think the Skins always do that.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | August 26, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse