Carter has Pro Bowl stats if not the votes

Defensive end Andre Carter was upbeat as usual Monday when he arrived at Redskins Park.

Carter is among the most genuinely positive people I've ever met, so his good mood wasn't surprising. And his two-sack, six-tackles-for-loss performance in Sunday's 34-13 rout of the Oakland Raiders might have had something to do with it, too. After struggling in 2008, Carter has had a Pro Bowl-caliber season and is among Washington's few bright spots.

In his ninth season, Carter has never been selected to the Pro Bowl, and I was interested in his thoughts about this season's process. Players are voted into the Pro Bowl by fans, coaches and players. Each group's ballot count for a third of the voting. Fans can vote at the NFL.com until the online polls close at the conclusion of Monday's Giants-Redskins game. Players and coaches will then cast their ballots next Tuesday and Wednesday, and the teams will be announced Dec. 29.

But instead of assessing his chances, Carter preferred to make a case for middle linebacker London Fletcher, "who I'm really hoping for. London is the guy I want to see go. He's done so much in this league for so long. He's definitely been deserving before."

Without a doubt, Fletcher has been among the league's most consistent performers at his position throughout his long career. But he has not reached a single Pro Bowl in 12 seasons, and that's just not right, Carter said.

"London should have gone last year and he should have gone more than once," he said. "You talk to guys around the league about London and you'll hear how respected he is. He plays the game the way you're supposed to play.

"He's not a flashy guy or anything like that, but he's dependable. You know you can count on London and you don't have to worry about him putting himself first. He's always thinking about the team and his teammates."

Many in the Redskins' locker room often have said the same of Carter, who has rebounded impressively after having one of the worst years of his career last season. In 16 games, including 14 starts, Carter had only four sacks - his fewest since the 2004 season - and was credited with 23 unassisted tackles among 37 overall. This season, Carter is tied for fourth in the league with 11 sacks and has 57 tackles - including 45 unassisted and 10 for a loss - the most at his position.

"The thing you feel good about is if what you do on the field helps your team," Carter said. "I remember my dad always telling me that no matter what else happens, you have to play for the guy next to you and think about your team first.

"Having that confidence and respect from your teammates is the most important thing to me. That means more to me than any of the individual recognition. Would it be nice to [go to a Pro Bowl]? Yeah, it would. But if anyone from our defense is going to go, I hope it's London."

More players from the league's top teams are selected than those from clubs with poor records. Washington (4-9) will miss the playoffs for the eighth time in Daniel Snyder's 11 seasons as owner and the second in as many seasons with Vinny Cerrato as its top football official.

"You know there's a lot that goes into it [being selected]," Carter said. "But I hope people can look past whatever our record is and understand what London does. If they do that, then you see he belongs there."

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese  |  December 15, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rabach provides stability as line improves
Next: Blache speaks up for his players

Comments

Bazinga

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 15, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say London, Carter, and 'Rak should all be Pro-Bowlers.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 15, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I believe if my memory serves me correctly, the Redskins were roundly ripped for the AC deal, however, with 31.5 sacks in under 4 years at this point, its worked out pretty well for the team...Carter deserves, but London first...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

AP Source: Mike Holmgren Visits Browns for 2nd Day

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: December 15, 2009
Filed at 11:00 a.m. ET

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A person familiar with the meetings has told The Associated Press that former Seattle and Green Bay coach Mike Holmgren is visiting with the Cleveland Browns for a second day.

So if Holmgren's the GM, who does he hire to coach that might be let go from DC?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

London's hit list so far:

Desean Jackson - Concussion
Brian Westbrook - Concussion

The Dallas and NY fans should be voting for this guy in droves.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 15, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"The pats tagged Cassel, it was not a RFA tender. Because the tender still means that the player isn't "signed" he has the right to negotiate with other teams and if he gets an offer we have the right to match, if he doesn't he can accept the slotted tender amount and sign (at which point we can trade him) or he can not sign and not play. but you can't negotiate a trade until he is signed.

Posted by: zjfr2"

The franchise tag is the same thing as a restricted FA tender, only you can use it at any point in a player's career. Once you tender him with either the franchise tag or the RFA tender (the franchise tag is still a tender, the player does not have to sign), you own his rights. Even if he doesn't sign, you can still negotiate a deal with another team because regardless of what happens, that player is still tied to your franchise, one way or another. It's not a common practice, but it does happen (Julius Peppers was unsigned, but was reportedly being shopped to New England this past offseason before Carolina retained him).

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Carters demonstration of mass increasing with energy (m = E/c^2) made the highlight reel last night and isn't going to help his cause

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 15, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

skinswest

"The Saints moved? j/k"

Most folks hope for a "Perfect Team Super Bowl"

Which means that won't happen.

The iggles have the corners and playmakers on offense to go after team Brees in the playoffs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 11:26 AM

They'll likely have to do it in New Orleans though. I like the Saints chances there.

Posted by: skinswest | December 15, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think Carter has more competition for a Pro Bowl spot.

other than Patrick Willis, what other LBs in the NFC would get voted in before Fletcher?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

franchise tag forces you to pay the player the avg of the top5 salaries at his position (or something like that), which is not something that should be considered for a second with JC

or anyone else on the team really

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had 53 London Fletchers on our team, we'd be winners easily every year.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 15, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 11:26 AM
----------------------------------------

The Eagles D is definitely not what it has been historically, but their offense is definitely capable of scoring in bunches.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 15, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but the Redskins are 4-9, so we should probably cut him.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 15, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 15, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

or anyone else on the team really

Posted by: divi3

--------

Right, but the point was that RFA tenders create the same "ownership" of the player as franchise tags.

Similar to how a drafted player can have his rights traded without signing (think the Philip Rivers, Eli Manning swap), so can an RFA if he is tendered.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

or anyone else on the team really

Posted by: divi3 | December 15, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

When was the last time we used the franchise tag? I.e. when was the last time we had anybody considered in the top 5 of the league about to go into FA?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 15, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to buy an Andre Carter Jersey, and Orakpo

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

champ, and then before that I believe it was SGilbert

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 15, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse
Cooley is a franchise tag type player

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"I'm going to buy an Andre Carter Jersey, and Orakpo"

I bought an Antawn Randle El jersey.

The guy at the store threw it at me.

It hit me in the face, and landed to the floor.

Just before I went to pick it up, some kid grabbed it and ran out the store.

"That's okay," the counter guy, last name Zorn said. "That's the fourth time in a row that's happened to you today."

"Maybe you need another chance to prove me wrong."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

No doubt Carter is having a great year for two reasons: he's a good player and because Albert is commanding extra attention in the middle.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Carter...just keeping it real.

My vote will go to London (baby Godzilla). He a tough, active, and smart SOB. Also, he's a class act--Susan Lucci of the NFL--hilarious!

Posted by: smokeybear2 | December 15, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna buy a London jersey but don't know what to do with my Portis one.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | December 15, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter should make the pro-bowl based on his 6 tackles for a loss on sunday. That's sick!

That's like having 8 sacks in a game.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | December 15, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

iH8dallas

"....when was the last time we had anybody considered in the top 5 of the league about to go into FA?"

I think that for the most part, we've been the team that sits like vultures waiting for the team with a Top 5 player to screw up and not sign him.

Then, we swoop in, pay the guy too much, and then wonder, as he moves well past his prime, what we were thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Also: Not to sound like i'm settling, but with 16 teams and 6 playoff spots in each conferance... the average team makes the playoffs every 2.6 seasons or 4.1 appearances for every 11 seasons. So on that front we are only one appearance less than average over the last 10 years.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | December 15, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

smokeybear

"I'm gonna buy a London jersey, but don't know what to do with my Portis one."

You keep it, of course.

Then, in about 5 or ten years, you pull it out, and rock it at a home game.

You wind up with your own 'throwback' jersey'.

I saw a Niners' fan in a Jerry Rice jersey last nice, and it made me smile.

Not that Clinton Portis is Jerry Rice.

Or that he has ever made me smile.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 15, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe:

You are on to something there. Keeping it for sure but didn't think of the "trowback" angle.

I'm a loyal dude...can't just use the jersey as a oil rag. Portis, to my memory, had some games where he dominated--many a time I've hollared my arse off after a Portis tear.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | December 15, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Not a shoulder or knee tear, but a tear through an opposing DL.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | December 15, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I regret selling my Stephen Davis jersey

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 15, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What IF...

the skins don't get Shanahan? Give the job to Jerry Gray and keep Sherman Lewis as the OC.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 15, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Give the job to Jerry Gray and keep Sherman Lewis as the OC.

To me this is the ideal situation. I hope they dont get Shanahan. Hopefully he ends up in Houston with his son. I dont think he is the right man for this job.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | December 15, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What IF...

Posted by: rickyroge

What IF...

We stop the "carousel of coaches" and keep Zorn. Yes, I never thought I would ever say that.

Zoron did say that the offensive system usually takes a couple of years and he appears to be right. Just keep him away from any playcalling duties.

Posted by: dcwun | December 15, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse