Celek is latest weapon to emerge for Philly

Philadelphia Eagles wide receivers DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin are big-time deep threats on the edge for quarterback Donovan McNabb. All-pro running back Brian Westbrook has been among the game's best all-around performers for some time.

Now, tight end Brent Celek is emerging as another force on offense. In five games, the third-year player has 30 receptions for 378 yards (a 12.6-yard average) and two touchdowns. The Redskins have noticed, secondary coach Jerry Gray said.

"They have great guys around him," Gray said. "When you have Maclin, Jackson, Westbrook and McNabb, you can't double everyone. Then all of a sudden the tight end has big numbers and he has a lot of catches.

"Those guys are really good around him, so you can't think that somebody is going to get off. The big thing is you have to minimize what the other guys do and make him beat you. If that is the case, then fine, but you can't let Maclin, Jackson, Westbrook and those guys beat you."

By Jason Reid  |  October 24, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins prepare for Vick, Wildcat formation
Next: Quick hits: Injuries, 'MNF' sightings (updated)

Comments

1st!!!!

I Dunno (for real), but I bet this Brent Celek guy was drafted after Fred Davis. Just a guess, yet somhow I know I'm right.

Posted by: jmeaicp | October 24, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

1st!!!!

Posted by: jmeaicp | October 24, 2009 11:07 AM

I bet you're right. If we had a real GM, could you imagine what that draft would have looked like? Who knows? Maybe we would have drafted Royal instead of Kelly. Rinehart wouldn't have been drafted. And the list goes on...

Posted by: johntaylor2 | October 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Joe T. said it, and he was right. The Redskins can't block anybody. Ladell Betts should be ashamed to pick up his paycheck. My heart still wants to believe, by my head says there will be no Monday night miracle. Philly 34-Wash 6.

Posted by: bostskin | October 24, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I am so sick of Vinny!
I posted right here on this blog, after the final cuts were made that the FO should go out and sign two or three OL from Practice Squads of the teams their scouting dept. felt had the best OL in all the NFL.
I even stated, that after weeks three or four those guys would be ready to play, and our OL would be in much better shape.

Vinny must go!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 24, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Celek was a 5th rounder out of Cincy.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Philly's other weapon will be our offense.

Rallying cry: "Vinny must go!"

Posted by: gatorz | October 24, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

More important issue: why did George and Jane Jetson have orange hair, but the kids had white and blonde hair, respectively? Did Mrs. J. fool around with old handyman Henry?

...Yeah, I'm still in my PJs...

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 24, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so! Jane Jetson fooling around? Anywho the way the Eagles blitz is JC upright by the 4th Qtr.and how in the hell did the Eagles lose to the Raeduh's and JeMarcus Russell i mean, PLEASE!!!! Yeah you know the Eagles will want to take it out on the Skins in prime time and don't forget we beat em twice last year so more motivation for them.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 24, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | October 24, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

despite season tickets in my family since 1962, i have decided to boycott attending and am not selling tickets - i will begin going to games again once vinny is fired (i hate hearing him and seeing his non-sensical quotes - i guess he is stupid at football...because he is a stupid man).

if you do choose to go to any game, great idea posted earlier - loud chants all game long of "fire vinny!"

Posted by: dougbalt | October 24, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse