Cerrato leaving as some of his choices improve

Much of the criticism of Vinny Cerrato stemmed from his record in free agency and the draft, which was questionable at best. Although many considered Cerrato a puppet of owner Daniel Snyder, he had the title of the organization's top football official.

Somewhat ironically, Cerrato's "resignation" comes at a time when several of his recent moves appear to have turned out well. The offense has been more productive since Cerrato and Snyder stripped Zorn of primary play-calling duties and promoted offensive consultant Sherman Lewis to the role.

And many of the players drafted on Cerrato's watch as Washington's executive vice president of football operations the past two years have impressed recently, especially rookie defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo, wide receiver Devin Thomas and tight end Fred Davis.

"Nothing really surprises me around here," Thomas said. "It is kind of awkward, definitely, when the guy that brought you in leaves like this. He's a guy who knows what we're capable of, and was real supportive of us playing well, so it's tough to see this. But you know, people have been wishing this for a long time. Maybe it's just like people getting what they wished for. I guess you just really have to wait for the smoke to clear to see what happened and what's really going on around here."

By Jason Reid  |  December 17, 2009; 1:13 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato news a surprise to most
Next: Fletcher says Allen hiring is a positive one

Comments

Source: Shanahan next on the Redskins' wish list
Posted by Mike Florio on December 17, 2009 1:04 PM ET
With the Washington Redskins successfully making a mockery of the Rooney Rule by announcing via e-mail the hiring of General Manager Bruce Allen exactly 114 minutes after announcing via e-mail that the job had become vacant, there's another fairly significant step in this remaking of the franchise.

Per a league source with knowledge of the current dynamics of the organization, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has been targeted by the Redskins as the next head coach.

And even though Allen currently is getting the press, the guy who'll be running the show is Shanahan.

The Redskins quietly have been pursuing Shanahan for months. Reports emerged earlier in the season that Shanahan twice rejected offers to become the team's new coach. The thinking was that Shanahan wanted to survey other possible vacancies before making a commitment.

And while he has made no commitment to the Redskins, we're told that the resignation of Cerrato and the hiring of Allen is the first tangible step in the process.

So even though Allen and Shanahan have no history of collaboration and despite more obvious ties between Allen and former Bucs and Raiders coach Jon Gruden, the source predicts very confidently that coach Jim Zorn eventually will quit or be fired -- and that Shanahan will get the job.

The only remaining question is whether the announcements will be made 114 minutes apart.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

In related news, Vinny will be hosting his radio show at its normal time. But the name will be changed from "Inside the Red Zone" to "Inside the Pink Slip Zone"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree and here's why... of course I never want the Skins to lose a game, no matter the reason or potential benefit. The other issue is that the draft is unpredictable and tanking doesn't always bring good fortune, better to just play with hand your dealt. Finsih strong, keep playing with the same pride and heart they've played with the past month.

Also, we are already finishing last in the division so we get the other 2 worst place teams in the NFC. So no benefit there.

Posted by: saltine182 | December 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

And it makes the players work that much harder in the off-season if they see progress at the end of an unsuccessful season.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This always happens in the NFL....People get fired..and someone else flourshes with the seeds planted by the prior person.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Again....JReid continues to say Vinny and Snyder stripped Zorn of his play calling....It was Vinny...They are NOT Siemese Twins

This is that BS I be talking bout when it comes to the Media......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

On ESPN this morning, Adam Schefter said that Vinny would "stay on as a personal consultant to Dan $nyder." So, Vinny isn't really going anywhere, just hiding in the shadows...

Posted by: nojunk4me | December 17, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

OFFENSIVE LINE. If Cerrato did his job we would not have lost to the Lions, almost to the Rams, gotten tatooed by NY, the Chiefs, blew a 17 pt lead in Carolina when Samuels inevitably goes down and on and on.

Years of squandering draft picks, chasing down names . . .anyone on this blog could give 1,000 examples of this jerk's incompetence and in-fighting - in CONCERT WITH THE OWNER, who is still perfectly capable of f-ing this up even more by slavering all over Clausen.

I still have not heard it confirmed the Kindergarden Ninja is no longer a part of the organization at all - maybe he's in charge of fleecing ticket holders for corn syrup at FedEx?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Personal Consultant = shoe shine boy = get me some coffee, beeyatch

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe it's just like people getting what they wished for."

Or like Christmas coming early for the fans.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 17, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse
Maybe they will call it "Outside the Red Skins".

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU GOD!

Posted by: ljhartnett24 | December 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Cut the bulls**t, DMV. You don't like him because of his brother.

I have no idea if he'll be very good or not - his track record has some big ups and big downers.

I DO think the fact that we have fights going on here on RI after VC is history is evidence that we act like a bunch of girls on here sometimes.

Having...said...that (thank you, Larry David), I just decided to jump to a conclusion about the way you think just as you yourself have about Mr. Allen because his brother uttered racist slurs. Like it?

I'm guessing no...so shut it.

Posted by: shaunsherman12

First of all kiss my afro black ass...

I clearly stated that, I DO NOT have a problem with Bruce Allen.

Made it crystal clear that the problem I have is that people are crowning him 2010 NFL GM of the Year. Without anything concrete suggesting that we should do so.

If I had a problem with Bruce because of George, please believe that I'd say so. I wouldn't care how that would make me look, because I could give s _it about your opinion.

I made my stance adamantly clear on Bruce Allen. So f___ you and your motherf__king mama.

Got it? NO? Then shut the f___ up!

You must be a typical southern Virginia jackass George Allen supporter.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Cerrato leaving as some of his choices improve"

The editor says the headline should read:

"Cerrato leaving is an improvement"

Analysis:

Fewer words, gets right to the point.

Insinuates that a dream or wish has been fulfilled.

The re-phrasing also suggests possiblities and hope.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Footballnews.com

Jon Gruden’s wife has been in contact with a local real estate agent in the Northern Virginia area seeking out homes near Redskins Park in Ashburn according to an unconfirmed report on radio station 106.7 The Fan which broadcasts in the nation’s capital.

There has been a lot of speculation that Gruden will become the next head coach of the Washington Redskins after Vinny Cerrato resigned from the team Thursday morning and was replaced by Bruce Allen.

Allen and Gruden have strong ties from their days together with the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A report on the station also stated that per a source close to Bruce Allen, “There is no way he will work with Mike Shanahan.”

Shanahan had been rumored to become the new coach of the Redskins both earlier in the season and in a report from Jason La Canfora early on Thursday morning.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so much for respecting each others opinions.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so much for respecting each others opinions.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 1:29 PM

First day Gweez?

Posted by: mack1 | December 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

RED DMV - shaunsherman12

Ladies, quit the cat fight. Vinny is gone, this is great news.

Now Hug it Out.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

HAIL WASHINGTON MACACAS!

Posted by: tsbrul1 | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so much for respecting each others opinions.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 1:29 PM

This RI...Up here...

We call that Brotherly Love...Like dem Jersey Shore kids....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bye bye Vin-cent! Vin-cent bye bye! Thank you Santa.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

dar, the differece of the 3 is that ganther/mason might have a future in the NFL, and that needs to be found out...Rock, we've seen this movie, we know how it ends....personally, I like what I've seen out of Ganther...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 1:01 PM
------------------------------------------
Personally, I would like to see Bruce Allen do an immediate late season purge. Cut Wynn, and sign Darryl Richard from New England's practice roster to the Redskins active roster. Cut Todd Collins, give more reps in practice to Bartel, and sign another propsect at QB to the active roster. I think Chase Daniel can be signed from NO's practice roster to the active roster of a team, so bring him back. If Sellers isn't going to be back this week, then place him on injured reserve and sign another fullback/tightend prospect to the active roster - maybe elevate Johnathan Evans from the practice roster. The point is Allen is new and doesn't have to apologize about making tough decisions right off the bat. His defense can always be "Vinny was an idiot" and "I don't know what Vinny was thinking keeping that guy around." Of course, any person signed to the active roster maybe should get a two year deal...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan or Gruden, nobody knows. We won't know till they tell us. All specualtion and its driving me crazy.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44
um I was listening when they said that on wjfk, (F the fan), i think it was a joke, sarcasm, as all the other things they said in the next few minutes were fakes.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Time out. I'm sick of all this Vinny defending. The team is playing hard right now, showing a lot of heart. But the 're-energized' Skins had to knock out 2 QBs to win, and couldn't put away 2 teams who were vulnerable.

Yes, the heart we see now is worlds better than the utter sucktitude we saw early in the season, but we are still a bad team.

I about choked when JReid suggested maybe Vinny was right? Based on what? Effort? Improvement from abysmal to bad? Based on the assumption that the guys on IR could play better than the guys are playing right now? Hmmph. Good riddance, Vinny.

Let Bruce Allen review the coaches, staff, players, everything. This is the right way to make this change, and kudos to Snyder for doing it, regardless of motive.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red-
Long time no chat- I see you are still on here berating people who disagree with you. You're nothing but an a$$ clown pu$$y.

Oh and tell your momma I'll be over tonight to bang it out one time.

Posted by: richard_cranium | December 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't care, either is a gigantic improvement over Zorn so I'm happy either way.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, so much for respecting each others opinions."

Ignore the insults.

Keep postin'.

Give the monitor the finga if you need to relieve stress.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

F__k a Shawn Sherman.

Typical d-bag southern VA'er who can't stand anyone knocking anything that they favor.

I can't wait until 30 years from now when there is an official NORTH Virginia and a south virginia.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Ho-hum,

Seems clear why Vinny is a goner and Allen is in? Clearly (as many of us exhorted him to do) this season may have actually been salvaged if Cerrato had had the foresight to sign LEVI JONES before the season started!!!!! That and the emergence of Fred Davis both as tight-end and blocker, (again which some of us had predicted as a key to this season) ... and not Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas. Orapko continues to improve as a pass rusher. But how are his lessons on learning to stop the run going? The defense has not done well against the run this year ... especially against the better teams.

Starting the season with a questionable offensive line while alienating a young quarterback that continues to improve? How much of that is Snyder and how much is Cerrato? Certainly a lot of it is on Snyder. Hopefully, this means he has realized that he needs more than a yes-man in charge ... Somehow I doubt it.

Posted by: periculum | December 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | December 17, 2009 1:20 PM

This is exactly what happened in Atlanta. Rich McKay* supposedly got canned and replaced, but he's still on the staff and, more importantly, STILL on the NFL's Competition Committee. A busy owner does, after all, still need SOMEONE to beat in racquetball.

* Check out the post at 6:16PM on Sept. 16th ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

This is a great move, clears the air a bit. Keep Campbell, get Gruden and Offensive line. Let's do this thing!

Posted by: Corvis777 | December 17, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | December 17, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 1:37 PM

Wait, So everything they report isn't true. I've heard an "unconfirmed report" that an "unconfirmed source" is off the record as saying that Portis is going to the Titans for Chris Johnson.

Alex- I thought the phrase "unconfirmed report" gave it away. I was perpetuating the joke.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

peri?????????

Where have you been?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | December 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

1000% agree gree. We will be getting a coach who knows when to call a timeout, when to go for it on 4th down, gets in players faces etc. We will be a team to watch next year, if we Keep JC17 and improve our O line. Hail.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red-

Oh and tell your momma I'll be over tonight to bang it out one time.

Posted by: richard_cranium

Wrong. To disagree with something I say, I don't/can't have a problem with that at all. People do everyday, and good convo is a result. But to come out here and try and put words in my mouth or paint me in a certain way just to get chest out with their post is when I have an issue.

I'd expect you to know the difference, dickbreath! Go and make sure you wiz has some RED kool-aid in the house for me to drink after I finish waxing that ass.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on 980 that Gruden's contract with ESPN and MNF is "iron clad" and will 100% be back for 2010 even if a dream job became available. Shanahan is the target.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 17, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

First of all kiss my afro black ass...

I clearly stated that, I DO NOT have a problem with Bruce Allen.

Got it? NO? Then shut the f___ up!

You must be a typical southern Virginia jackass George Allen supporter.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse
--------------------

Pffft. I could care less about Allen here in Virginia, or Republicans or Democrats in general. They've all failed us many times over. Still, way to categorize again, internet tough guy.

You inferred labeling him as a racist was reasonable because his brother was one, using Marcus and Micheal Vick as an example. Since then, you've had some sort of seizure over anyone claiming Allen is a good hire. Therefore, I have called you out on your typical, baiting garbage.

Take all your F-you's, and mamma comments, and shove 'em, kid. I crap bigger than you.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

RED DMV - shaunsherman12

Ladies, quit the cat fight. Vinny is gone, this is great news.

Now Hug it Out.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Lol, fair enough Diesel. Just couldn't let that clown do his usual this time I guess.

VC is gone, and for the moment all is well.

Now let's hope the Skins can ruin both the Giants and Cowboys seasons, back to back.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

at best all of cerratos picks are backups,other then orakpo,who should be a de not a lb and he dropped into his lap

Posted by: DLESMonday | December 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

RED DMV - shaunsherman12

Ladies, quit the cat fight. Vinny is gone, this is great news.

Now Hug it Out.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

VC is gone, and for the moment all is well.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 17, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

dude, jason reid, what is the point of thispost? hopefully you resign as the redskins insider beat reporter.

Posted by: BMACattack | December 17, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse