Cerrato-Zorn relations frayed as season declined

In today's news release announcing the resignation of Washington's former executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, Cerrato said he "had the pleasure of working with some great coaches such as Joe Gibbs, Greg Blache and Sherman Lewis."

Conspicuously absent from that list was Redskins Coach Jim Zorn.

Based on what I've been told about the chilly Cerrato-Zorn relationship, especially over the past two months, the exclusion of Zorn's name was not simply an oversight on Cerrato's part. Less than two years ago, Cerrato strongly endorsed the hiring of Zorn, first as offensive coordinator then as head coach, to owner Daniel Snyder. But the coach and executive grew apart under the weight of failed expectations the past 21 games, dating from the midpoint of the 2008 season.

After last season's second-half slide, Cerrato sought more oversight of Zorn and the coaching staff, many in the organization said. He took an active role in seeking information about how the offensive staff operated under Zorn and Zorn's approach to game-planning each week. Cerrato even sat in on at least one staff meeting, which was highly unusual considering the separation coaches and player-personnel executives have historically had at Redskins Park.

On the team bus following a 27-24 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Nov. 29, Cerrato admonished Zorn in front of others for his handling of the offense in the two-minute drill at the end of the first half, according to team sources. The Eagles connected on two late field goals in the second quarter and took a two-point halftime lead after Zorn, instead of playing conservatively in an attempt to protect the lead, called passing plays that led to interceptions. Cerrato made it clear to Zorn that he was responsible for that loss, in large part because of the sequence that occurred just before halftime.

Cerrato privately and publicly lavished praise on play-caller Sherman Lewis while ignoring Zorn's role in the process despite Cerrato having stripped Zorn of primary play-calling duties. Cerrato told some in the organization that the season would have been salvaged if he had only "brought Sherm in sooner."

Initially hired as an offensive consultant on Oct. 6, Lewis assumed play-calling duties before the Week 7 game against the Eagles on Oct. 26 at FedEx Field. Although the Redskins' offensive production has increased with Lewis calling a portion of the plays (offensive coordinator Sherman Smith and Zorn still also contribute), Lewis does not devise the weekly game plans, handle pass protections or communicate much with quarterback Jason Campbell.

The Redskins truly have taken a collaborative approach to play-calling, but Cerrato declined to acknowledge the efforts of Zorn and the other assistants, team sources said.

For his part, Zorn subtly made his feelings clear about Cerrato despite declining to comment on their relationship.

When the play-calling change was made, it seemed that Zorn had been completely removed from directing the offense on game days. But Zorn repeatedly revealed, almost in a calculated fashion, that he would maintain ultimate decision-making authority on play calls. As the weeks went on, Zorn made it known that he exclusively handled the two-minute offense as well as called other plays in games. When asked whether Cerrato was comfortable with that, Zorn replied, "I don't know. I didn't ask him."

For weeks, I thought Cerrato would return because some in the organization told me the interaction between Snyder and Cerrato had not changed despite the team's disappointing 4-9 season and an overall record of 6-15 in its last 21 games. Snyder and Cerrato recently together scouted University of Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, and many of the players the Redskins drafted in the one-plus seasons with Cerrato as their top football official have played well down the stretch.

By Jason Reid  |  December 17, 2009; 12:05 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen on board; is Jon Gruden next?
Next: Cartwright: 'Change is a good thing'

Comments

El Chorizo is FIRST! Si!Si!Si!

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | December 17, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a happy, happy day.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

From Redskins.com (I decided to lift the ban briefly and go there):
Five picks traded in 2003. Six in 2004 (including a first for Clinton Portis and a second for Mark Brunell). Three traded in ’06. Four in ’07. Four in ’08. Four in ’09.

Consider the extent of the waste. In 2008, the Redskins dealt their ’09 second-rounder to the Miami Dolphins for defensive end Jason Taylor. Then they decided he should play linebacker … on the other side of the field. No more Taylor. Released. Back to Miami. Playing well. They also had coughed up a No. 7 for another defensive end, Erasmus James. Right. And there was a No. 4 to complete the previous trade for guard Pete Kendall, also not resigned for ’09.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

First great day in awhile in Redskin land

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Doug Williams is coming to the Skins? Word is he is very unhappy in Tampa since Bruce Allen was fired.

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | December 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is gone-gone right? No even lurking in the shadows like a Kindergarden Ninja?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

more mind boggling mind boggliness.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 17, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

For those who think Allen did a a poor job in Tampa,
He was hired the year after the super bowl. Said that the team was old and needed to be rebuilt with a youth movement. IMHO that was true. He traded Sapp & Lynch.

The 4 years he had as GM there led to records of 11-5, 4-12, 9-7,9-7. That is a record of 33-31. He was not a GM with Oakland so the stats there I don't personally count.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

For those who think Allen did a a poor job in Tampa,

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm so happy that bug eyed bastard is gone!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't have a problem with the de facto GM overseeing the Coach and taking an active role.

Plenty to blame Vinny about but overseeing the Coaching staff is his job. Obviously admonishing the coach in front of others is poor management but happens everyday in offices all over the US.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

sarge antonelli and leigh torrance will put a hex on bruce allen and this franchise

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 17, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"It does, they had to interview at least 2 minority candidates."

Jim Caldwell, Lovie Smith, and Mike Tomlin all laugh at that rule.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't go back to playing medium... pass couple of games have been exciting and not as predictable... this is a good move for the future... but so looking forward to beating some NFC east teams with this offense

Posted by: travmanf | December 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

What a great day.....another thug is out of the NFL and Cerrato is gone

Posted by: skinsfaninWI

I know I should ignore this ass clown. WTF!!! Three children just lost their father and man was making a positive change in his life.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

how hillarious would it be if nfl network hired vinny and jlc had to work with him?

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 17, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I just got on the Post, been at work all day....This is a wonderful day for Redskins Nation

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 17, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If Doug Williams comes to the Skins, I'd have to think that Jason Campbell will be back given the support Williams has offered over the last several offseasons.

Posted by: manifested | December 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 17, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

BEST WHAT IF EVER.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This says more about Zorn than anything else IMHO.....

I know now Vinny wished he didn't listen to us and should have hired Fassel in the 1st place.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

What are our chances for offensive continuity?

Leave the defense alone. Those coaches and players need to work out their own problems and continue doing what they're doing. Keep LL and Carlos - just coach them. Who are you going to replace them with? They have learned valuable lessons this year, both, the hard way.

Need to focus on the offense this year, and somehow, someway achieve continuity so we're not learning another G-D system from scratch for the umpteenth season in a row.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited, but I have no doubt this will ruin Mondays game. We have no chance of winning now imo.

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

For nearly all, though, it comes back to Allen. He found clever and subtle ways to challenge Davis, reach the coaches and address the unease in the building. Allen was the antidote to chief executive Amy Trask, who has earned a reputation as a tough woman, fiercely loyal to Al, with the people skills of a chain saw.

Allen was the one man during the past 13 years whose credibility ensured his words would be considered by anyone in the organization.

With Allen holding the place together, young coach Jon Gruden could do his job. It was a successful formula. During the Allen-Gruden years (1998-2001), the Raiders were 38-26. Subtract those seasons, and the Raiders are 50-96 since their return to Oakland."

Bruce Allen is not going to be in charge of the Washington Redskins, Dan Snyder will continue to be in charge -- no matter what he says. Allen may soften the rough edges some however.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 17, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse
Interesting. This sounds a lot like the role that Joe Gibbs played during Gibbs2.0. And that is certainly much needed. I think that was one of VC's weaknesses. Case in point was his relationship with RI reporters.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm so happy that bug eyed bastard is gone!"

LOL, seems like the Skins just won the Super Bowl eh?

I liken him to a weasle. :)

"What a great day.....another thug is out of the NFL and Cerrato is gone"

Death is nothing to make fun of, I hope you're referring to someone else other than Chris Henry.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"But today's news jarred my memory about a conversation I had with a team source during the last coaching search. During a lunch interview with one of the candidates, Snyder turned to Cerrato and said if the next coach didn't work out, he would have to get rid of Cerrato as well."

I phuking love this. But I still don't like Danny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

FYI,

Allen was the Senior Exec in Oakland so he deserves some credit for their success.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So why didn't you report the incident on the team bus in Philly weeks ago????? The reporting done by the Post always seems about a month behind. Even this Cerratto resignation story -- how did Jay Glazer scoop the Post's "insider"?

Posted by: dbunkr | December 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM |

Why is that Vinny had nothing to do with the way the team is playing, so him not being at the stadium will not be the reason the team wins or loses.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

It looks like Tampa is still in their "youth movement." They'll stink for quite some time.

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

did i ever tell you i love you guys?!

for the record i want tony dungy as the next HC.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

beepage, of course.

At great risk of taking the blog completely off the tracks(which is not my intent), i want to pose this question:

Does the NFL still need the Rooney Rule?

I'm a middle aged white guy, so that is the lens through which i view the world. I work for a branch of the DOD, which is the ultimate meritocracy. I can assure you that i view people as people, and dislike or like people of all races based on my perception of them as people independent of their race, persuasion, religion etc etc.

My position is this: When it was implemented, it was needed to force the NFL hierarchy to address the fact that there were basically no minorities leading from the sidelines or the front offices. A glaring trend in the face of the make up of the League as a whole. Today, i believe that the NFL has evolved to a true meritocracy, where anyone regardless of race can get a shot based on performance.

I think the Rooney Rule MAY have passed its time and actually forces teams to perform a ritualistic kabuki dance of interviewing the "designated Rooney guy" just to comply with the rule. In my opinion, getting a Rooney interview with no real shot of getting the job is beyond insulting, but i also know my perspective may not be germane. I also figure its here to stay because of the negative perception the move would cause.

Just wondering what some of the other regulars may think.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2009 12:26 PM |

They have a cheap owner that makes it much tougher to build a winner.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Remember a couple of days ago Jergson said that Vinny will be gone and that JC will be back. I hope part two is correct.

Posted by: jm220 | December 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Vinny saying that the season would've been different if Sherm Lewis was bought in earlier.

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

please...no rooney rule debate....can't we just stoke the good vibes of no more Ceratto?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

El Chorizo is FIRST! Si!Si!Si!

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | December 17, 2009 12:07 PM |

More important, I first to call out Chorzo for being dead wrong about Vinny. You sucko, hombre. Si! Si! Si!

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2009 12:28 PM

The Redskins failed terribly at PR....

2 BIG NEWS EVENTS 2 hours apart?

Too much too soon turns RI into overload.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting...explain your theory please? My intial reaction would be that this would only further motivate them. If it wasn't already crystal clear that people are playing for their jobs, I'd say it is now.

As for the moronic comments from someone about the unfortunate passing of Chris Henry- can we please stop giving him the attention he wants? I'm sorry that I contributed to that, but please do not engage with this guy anymore.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

They have a cheap owner that makes it much tougher to build a winner.

Posted by: Flounder21

He can't be too cheap. He was willing to give AH more money than the Skins. I looking at his draft picks over the last few years. They haven't been that impressive.

I like the hire, I just want to see his eye for talent.

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Twitter udpates like 2 hrs behind what is going on?

Very strange...

Just got breaking news that we are looking at Bruce Allen to possibly replace Vinny

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 17, 2009 12:13 PM |

The TB SB is mainly due to the efforts of Dungy and whoever the GM that precede Allen was. As far as Gruden, he did win the SB but thereafter proceed to get too intimate with the pooch. Don't think he worth the 2 1st rounders the Glazers coughed up to get him.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Current Odds on next coach...

Gruden 2-1
Grimm 75-1
Cowher 500-1
Shanny 10000-1
Zorn staying 1000000000000 to 1

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato resigning makes me wonder about Portis' comments about his future. I now believe Clinton knew this was coming. And with the speed of Danny hiring Allen, this looks planned. Heck, if Danny couldn't hire Spanola (sp?) after a 15 hour interview, how can he hire Allen within 3 hours of Cerrato resigning or getting fired?

Still, I am happy Cerrato is gone and I hope Allen fires all of the coaches except Joe Bugel. All of them. Blache too. He can't coach. The defense doesn't stop anyone. Get someone other than Gruden.

I can again wear my Skins attire.

There is hope for the future!

Posted by: neil64 | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG
===============
The theory goes like this: Distractions always make our team play worse. Sometimes, some distractions make other teams play like they're on space crack. But our team always plays worse.

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Gruden had full control over player personnel decisions in TB? If so, what does a GM do? Was he just a glorified capologist?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Fartez calling out Chroizo!! Let the Mom and Gay insults begin!

Posted by: VegasJim | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry, Florio's rant inserted the Rooney Rule into today's news.

News which is all good in my view.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

From RI: "Cerrato-Zorn relations frayed as season declined".

Jesus dude thanks for the insight into something that was totally unobvious.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"It does, they had to interview at least 2 minority candidates."

Jim Caldwell, Lovie Smith, and Mike Tomlin all laugh at that rule.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Moe, that oreo is going to get mad soggy from all that dipping in the milk you're doing -- j/k

The steelers interviewed the beloved Russ Grimm twice, and your boy Ron Rivera as well.

Grimm also interviewed for the Bears job before Lovie was hired back in 2004.

Caldwell, I agree with you, but it's offset by the hiring of Jim Mora Jr., so lets not go there.

For all the love for Grimm, the dude has had more than a few interviews for HC but for some reason he never gets the job.

I wonder why.

Posted by: RedDMV

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Can we please start a campaign to keep Campbell? I know there have been doubts about him before, but he'll no doubt play better next season than McCoy or Clausen, and we have too many needs to throw away the best signal caller we've had in years.

Posted by: atlskins | December 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Any big free agents this offseason?

Posted by: richs91 | December 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Current Odds on next coach...

Gruden 2-1
Grimm 75-1
Cowher 500-1
Shanny 10000-1
Zorn staying 1000000000000 to 1

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Put John Fox in there if he's fired. That's who i'd love to get.

Posted by: Gweez | December 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

And 2009 just became a successful season

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Should keep Zorn on as Campbell's sliding coach.

Posted by: dfbovey | December 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

With the elevation of Bruce Allen as GM, the last thing the Skins need is a repeat of his support of Jon Gruden. After taking over Tony Dungy's roster for a Super Bowl, what did Allen/Gruden do to the Bucs? Took them to the bottom of the division. In fact, with Gruden at the Bucs' helm, I rooted for 2 teams - the Skins and any team playing the Bucs.

Also, Gruden has a history of destroying QBs. No QB lasted longer than a season under Gruden's offensive scheme and tutelage. If Gruden takes over, Jason Campbell should immediately look for another team.

I still support the Skins from Buc's country in Tampa Bay.

Posted by: rsherman_mclean | December 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

REX: the team managed to get thru the worst distraction in team history- the tragic death of 21. They had to be emotionally drained, but pulled it together to win the last 4 and make the playoffs. I don't know if I buy this theory...could be, but like I said I think they will come out with a real sense of urgency to keep their job. Just my take, time will tell...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking the players and Zorn will respond favourably to this. They're off the hot seat for a NY minute

Whats the single game team sack record? Let's break it!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Fartez calling out Chroizo!!
Posted by: VegasJim

Sounds like the press conference for a welterweight title fight.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 17, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The question of why Russ Grimm has been interviewed so many times and not hired still remains unanswered for us…..we can only speculate at this juncture.

It will be interesting to see what kind of details come out in the Chris Henry story……I remember watching the Alabama/Auburn game when the “news” first broke with the initial reports that had Tiger in critical condition, and that his wife busted his back windshield in order to get him out of the car and that she gave him CPR……..As of now, Henry “ fell out the back of his fiancee's moving truck while engaging in a domestic dispute with her” with no official cause of death released. Wonder what the real story is…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Current Odds on next coach...

Gruden 2-1
Grimm 75-1
Cowher 500-1
Shanny 10000-1
Zorn staying 1000000000000 to 1

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Riggo, I'd take Aorn at 50-1 right now if you want on $10.

Did we just make RI a gaming parlor?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG
===============

Posted by: REXskins | December 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse
Interesting, but I have to agree with Notorious. Skins are playing for next year's roster now.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 17, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Zorn doesn't think this is his opportunity to start calling plays again!

Posted by: dcwun | December 17, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

redDmv

The Rooney Rule is a bad/good idea because no matter what these owners say, they'd take a retread or guy off the 'Buddy Tree' before giving an accomplished black coach a shot.

I'd like to ask the obviously skilled Sherm Lewis what it feels like having to defer to the feckless Jim Zorn while his Super Bowl rings sit at home.

You'd think that after his work in DC, Lewis would get a head coach shot.

Doubt it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 17, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I still support the Skins from Buc's country in Tampa Bay.

Posted by: rsherman_mclean | December 17, 2009 12:41 PM

Rich Gannon might disagree with you....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 17, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I still support the Skins from Buc's country in Tampa Bay.

Posted by: rsherman_mclean | December 17, 2009 12:41 PM
===================================
me too!

I would not prefer Gruden as HC either too much bagagge. We have some great coaches on staff now.

I would love to see Russ Grimm or someone else with fire as HC. That is what this team needs. No more medium.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 17, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

El Chorizo is FIRST! Si!Si!Si!

Posted by: ElBigChroizo | December 17, 2009 12:07 PM |

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 12:29 PM |

Heh, heh. El Chorzo seem to forget that he bites on Snyder double more harder than any Skins DB.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | December 17, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

So Gruden to our beloved Skins and Shanny to the hated cowboys.

These guys thought they were involved in a rivalry with Oak v Den....

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I said I wasn't going to write anything the rest of the year back in week 5 but...HOT DAM Cerrato is gone. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Posted by: gawnpostal | December 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

dude, that guy is a clown for writing that, no doubt. But "Why didn't your mother abort you?" You've got major issues too.

And I didn't realize that every time some ignorant white guy (how do you even know he's white, BTW?) makes a cruel comment involving the demise of someone of color, he's an automatic racist. He may be, I don't know. Point is neither do you. What I do know is that you both are jerks

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 17, 2009 12:25 PM

You are Notorious I am not a racist. Any time someone says something negative that Red doesn't agree with he starts a personal attack. All of you have used curse words replying to my post and yet you call me classless. One person but Chris henry and ST in the same sentence....please how could you.

Maybe I should not have made a comment that he is no longer in the NFL but he is still a thug. He has been good for 2 years so he has turned his life around....really??? I have not had a drink in over two years but I am still a drunk.

I am sorry those kids lost their father just like I am sorry McNairs kids no longer have a father because of the choices their fathers made.

If my post offended someone I am sorry but honestly this guy should not have been let back in the NFL after 5 arrest.

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | December 17, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the Gruden/Allen pairing isn't ideal. I think repeating a team that didn't work out so well before wouldn't be the best idea. Go find a new up-and-coming coach who will had something new to the mix, a la the Mike Smith hire in Atlanta, a guy none of us had heard of before.

Posted by: minorthread | December 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

What a relief! I was just thinking this morning before the announcement that we were going to be stuck with Vinny another year since his "three second round amigos" were playing better, and Dan would drink the kool-aid and think Vinny was doing a good job!

Posted by: 1of9000 | December 17, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | December 17, 2009; 12:05 PM ET

Come on dude. You're just now remembering this? It has never been reported before, but today's news "jarred" your memory?

Again, come on.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

VC is as graceful as a piece of mould growing in the cornew of your attic. Does he think people will think of him as a great man by leaving Zorn out of his resignation letter? It looks disgraceful, and dishonorable. When Zorn leaves, some will cheer, some will be upset. Vinny leaving = EVERYONE cheers. All I want for Christmas is for Dallas to hire him as the next GM.... yeah baby. What a loser.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | December 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So all the puppetry Cerrato employed with Zorn and the "stripping of his responsibilities" this year seems to have been done in an effort by Cerrato to save his own job...makes more sense now. Glad to see him go, now maybe they'll resign Campbell and bring in an O-lineman or 5.

Posted by: emc7x | December 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

" I have not had a drink in over two years but I am still a drunk."

Then, since you've been down the road, dude, you should know better than calling names, especially when you don't even know the man.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 17, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: minorthread | December 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

IMO Snyder isn't thinking about Tampa here. He's thinking about Oakland, where Gruden and Allen worked under Al Davis.

Snyder really thinks he's a football man now. He just wants a guide, a salary cap/contract guy paired with a celebrity coach. Hiring Allen lends the cloak of respectability he'd lost with Vinny around. But Snyder is still the maestro. He's still the Danny, you'll see.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

So I guess we see now if Bruce Allen can be more of a real GM and can get us back on track with draft picks and free agency pick ups. I'm getting just a bit tired of seeing all these mock drafts that have us taking OU QB Sam Bradford (he of the injured shoulder) with our first round pick, when we really need new OL.

Posted by: uscwest | December 17, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Good riddens Vinny.

Posted by: interactingdc | December 17, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I think happened to usher Vinny Cerrato out the door:

>> Cerrato went player shopping again. Vinny was feeding his star-power addiction...again.

SOURCE: Campbell makes the best of a bad situation, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/13/AR2009121303139.html

>> Zorn got wind of the seductive dance Cerrato was playing with another possible QB pick. Zorn went to bat for Jason Campbell by telling management (Snyder and Cerrato) and give JC a change...er, chance.

>> Cerrato told the boss that the QB move would be dynamite for the team, since JC is in his last year of the contract, making JC a restricted free agent.

>> Cerrato also tried to convince all that JC is not the future of the Redskins, and therefore Snyder should put out dough to acquire his new QB pick.

>> Zorn, in a payback to Cerrato, forcefully disagrees and threatens to throw down the gauntlet by making a scene in the press when asked (maybe even team up with JC to put out a statement that we could read between the lines? Remember...neither of them have much more to lose with the Redskins). In the meantime, Zorn, in defiance of what Vinny was up to, wanted the Redskin organization to force his (Zorn's) firing to get beyond the nonsense. Remember...again, Zorn has nothing to lose otherwise, since everyone thinks he's gone anyway.

>> Synder, not wanting to PO'd the fans once again with the glamour picks (fans remembered what happened to the numerous QBs, players, coaches and assistants who moved on and did extremely well), told Vinny not this time...the only thing that hasn't changed in this organization is YOU...the weakest link.

>> Cerrato, who felt that his honor was stepped by Zorn, warned Snyder that he (Cerrato) was willing to walk away on principle. So...Snyder told Vinny, his friend, that the door is a-waiting. Vinny seem to have forgotten that he humiliated Zorn, made Snyder the laughingstock of the NFL, if not sports world, and embarrassed the Redskins with that wicked play calling arrangement when Vinny brought in a retired, bingo gamer to call plays. In the meantime, Zorn and Jason Campbell went on about their business to remain above the antics, leaving others to say what they would dare not say out loud.

>>Snyder, in exasperation, yelled ENOUGH...I've had enough...the fans have had enough...and YOU, Vinny my friend, can take a walk 'cause the fans and I said so.

Is there any other reason why the conspicuous lack of thanks to Zorn on the way out??? This, too, was Vinny's man for head coach, so something's missing here short of what I've said with tongue in cheek.

Posted by: ldsw | December 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

One more thing. Bruce Allen needs to do a top to bottom inspection of everything...especially the front office. There's lots of deadwood there that needs to go. Maybe Dan Snyder can step out of the way to allow that process to proceed without meddling.

Posted by: ldsw | December 17, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

There is hope now! That's what I'm celebrating. Speculation about coaches and drafts seems pointless. As far as Monday night goes, I think most of the players know they have to go all out to prove themselves. Do you think Jason Campbell, or our receivers, or this line, or anyone on the defense is really going to feel confident that they can skate by the rest of the season and still have a job next year? I don't. If Campbell did poorly the rest of the season, for example, he'd be lucky to find any job next year. So, I expect the same fine effort from all of them the rest of the way. And therefore, yes, they have a chance against the Giants.

Posted by: OintheSierras | December 17, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Addition by subtraction and good riddance to the mole in the building (Cerrato). Zorn has been a dead man walking since about the 5th week of the season and Cerrato is still ripping him in front of other coaches for in-game decision? Please, the defense completely fell apart in the 4th quarter of the Philly game which is why the Redskins lost.

Cerrato has mismanaged personnel since he was here and has been a yes man for Snyder's meddling. Allen, if nothing else, should be able to keep Snyder from meddling with the draft and free agency. As far as Zorn as coach, he was hired as O-Coordinator, not as Head Coach. This was doomed to failure as is the hiring of Morris in Tampa Bay.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is a low-class bottom-feeder. He got what he deserved. We all know that he was fired. Hopefully he will get out of town as well.

Zorn is not a good coach, but he is a class act. I cannot imagine working for a sleaze like Vinny "butt-boy" Cerrato.

With a GM in place (hopefully with full authority) perhaps this long nightmare is over.

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: AWWNats | December 17, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tryumpfant | December 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

thank you, wizfan89. your comment about the defense falling apart during the philly game is my sentiment also. we had the lead and all the defense had to do is play solid football and poor tackling, too much cushion killed our chance to knock off philly. only a very sensible fan and observer would see that but so many people wanted to blame campbell.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 17, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

This kind of ruins the theory that nice guys finish last. Looks like the Vinny lost. What a jerk. He could have done everything that needed to be done without being a jackass. Hopefully this the end of the drama.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | December 17, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato's a slug. Good riddance.

Posted by: blukens1 | December 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

>>>*fingers crossed* Please get Russ Grimm, Please get Russ Grimm, Please get Russ Grimm!

Posted by: tryumpfant | December 17, 2009 2:51 PM

Fingers crossed - no, No and NO leftovers, please. Dispense with the yes-man thinking and think out of the box for a different strategy to put the Redskins back on track.

Posted by: ldsw | December 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tryumpfant | December 17, 2009 2:51 PM

Posted by: ldsw | December 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Tony whacked Big Puzzy after only two seasons. Little Napoleon gave Vinnie C seven whole years. Seems more than generous to me.

Posted by: kguy1 | December 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Zorn gets, the last laugh on Vincenzo.

I like Zorn, he talks a little to much, but hes learning to be a good coach and the players do play hard for the guy.

I hope Bruce Allen gives him a fair chance, starting with a offensive line.

Vinny is just the first cancer cell that needed too go.
Now if they can get rid of Portis, Rogers, Montgomery, and any other waste of skin, that thinks there bigger than the club.

We'll be OK

Posted by: dashriprock | December 17, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I am hoping that Cerrato's parting cheap shot guarantees that he never gets another job in football.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 17, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid wrote:

"At the time, I didn't believe Cerrato would ever be fired or resign. Obviously, I do now."

----

Wha... huh? Really, Jason Reid? You *really* believed that under no circumstances would Cerrato *ever* be fired or resign? "ever"?!

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | December 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

What the Redskins need to do now....... 1. Change the FREAKIN'name of the team! 2.Keep Jason(one tough son of a gun) 3.Keep Jim Zorn(and give him back the job he was given) 4. Get enough o-line people to backup the inevitable injuries!

Posted by: GrandPoobah51 | December 17, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins |

__

This is my first impression too. How much change can players be expected to take? I hope I'm wrong. I signed the fire Vinny petition, but too much change can be tough. At least it's at the end of a wasted season.

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 17, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse