Change is nothing new, according to Portis

Many players have expressed frustration with the team's 2-4 record that includes four losses to teams that did not have a victory before they faced the Redskins. And some have privately described things behind the scenes as being in "chaos."

The upheaval occurring at Redskins Park, however, is nothing new to top running back Clinton Portis, who in six seasons with Washington has been involved in many unsettling situations.

"I've been enduring change since I've been here," Portis said Wednesday. "All of a sudden it's like take notice. It's like all of a sudden. This is not the first year that our line went down. It's like six years straight that our line went down. It's not the first year that we had a change. Every year, even when coach [Joe] Gibbs was here, we had three or four different coordinators. It's all of a sudden like a surprise, 'Oh, they got a new coordinator.'

It seems "we done had a new coordinator every year. We done had somebody new calling the plays. We done had something different. We done had new linemen. We done had a new this, a new that, a change in quarterback. All of a sudden it become shock. That's what it is around here - change. In the midst of that change, it bring news for ya'll [reporters]."

Some players are hanging their heads about the situation - which includes management's ongoing undermining of Coach Jim Zorn - but Portis "can't do nothing but handle it with humor. I can't keep moping around and everybody's sad and don't talk to each other.

"A couple of my teammates didn't even speak to me. I walked in, [wide receiver Santana Moss] didn't even speak to me. And [quarterback] Jason [Campbell] tried to let the door hit me in the face. I don't know what the ... I watched him look at me and then let the door slam in my face."

Not true, says Campbell.

"He was walking behind me. I didn't know he was that close," Campbell said. "He said, 'Darn, J, you ain't got to be that upset at everybody.' I said, 'I'm not upset.' It's a time to refocus, re-energize, find the inner energy and start over."

It seems the Redskins may be starting over again soon with a new head coach and, quite possibly, many new players. And with so much change since Daniel Snyder has owned the franchise, could the Redskins ever win another Super Bowl this way?

"I never won a Super Bowl, so I don't know how you win it," Portis said. "I think we're going to keep changing until we get the right pieces to win the Super Bowl. Hopefully, my career will still be going and I'll still be here at that time."

Largent defends Zorn

Jim Zorn's former Seahawks teammate, Steve Largent, has come to his defense, criticizing the Redskins organization. ESPN's NFC East blog reported the radio interview with Mitch Levy of KJR in Seattle (and @RickMaese tweeted it).

By Jason Reid  |  October 21, 2009; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Collins copes with 'unsettling' situation
Next: Portis misses practice with lower-leg problems

Comments

Our new playcaller looks a lot like...no, I'd say exactly like...

Mr. Potato Head.

You run a stretch play in the Redzone or any short yardage situation, I'll pull your nose off!

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

In honor of Portis' awesome phonics.....Ferse!

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I love how it's with the exception of the Giants. You know, the guys that have scored the third most points in the league. The guys that are averaging almost 30 points a game. Other than a few drives here and there by the Lions our defense has shut almost everybody else down. Our offense gave a short field to the Panthers, Bucs, and Rams. They gave up a TD to the Giants. That all goes against our defense in the stats. If we had a somewhat servicable offense our defense would be #1.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

_______________

Despite being on the field forever against the Giants, they held them to 17 points. That's 13 points below their average over the first 6 games.

People who don't recognize this as a good squad, are dense. Keep the complaints and criticism on the offensive side of the ball where the scrutiny belongs.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood what Jim Zorn's offense really was. Cause it sure is heck wasn't any WCO I've ever seen. A WCO is predicated on quick reads, quick passes, and run after the catch. It is about spreading a defense out. Running isn't the foundation of the offense, its a part of it, but not the foundation as the offense is build on quick hitting plays then once the secondary creeps up you go over the top. Running is more of a short yardage facet of the offense then the base of it. The Eagles run an extreme version of the WCO as they never run but Zorn's offense has always been pound CP and then try and go deep. We rarely ever run quick slants, crossing patterns, swing plays, and quick screens. In a WCO it should be very tough to sack the QB because the ball is supposed to come out so fast. We always have JC taking 5 and 7 step drops. I don't know if this is because JC isn't capable of making the quick read and getting the ball out on a 3 step drop or if the interior of our line is so bad it can't hold up long enough for a 3 step drop (I expect its a bit of both) but whatever we have been running it ain't a WCO.

I hope Sherm is smart enough to see our line limitations and puts JC in the shotgun a lot and understands the only chance this team has is if we chuck the ball 45 times a game, the line just isn't capable of producing a productive running game and Portis is just a guy these days, he can't take over a game anymore. Instead of run, run, pass, our offense should be pass pass and if its short yardage maybe run but probably still pass. This may create some fast 3 and outs but its our only real chance at any success and that's why we bought such a strong D for!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Campbell didn't see Portis because Campbell is really tall and Portis is, you know, really short.

Or maybe this would be a good spot to make a "Campbell has trouble seeing the field" joke. Or a more complicated "the O line couldn't keep the hallway clear long enough for Campbell to find Portis" joke.

Or I could just lay me down in my cubicle and put a damp cloth over my forehead and repeat my serenity now mantra...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

CP is a company man. I have no idea what he is saying a lot of the time but that much is clear. He has his head so far up Snyder's butt he can see Vinny's heels...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Correcting myself. Giants scored 23. Not as impressive as holding them to 17. But still below their average.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

What the heck happened to Horton? Last year he was a playmaker, he looked really good. Now he's not starting, and he's in the "doghouse"?
What's going on?
Posted by: REXskins | October 21, 2009 2:50 PM

IMO of course, but last year he had 1 good game, but it was against the cowboys, when the whole team looked good, and everyone was ready to anoint him the greatest 7th rounder ever drafted. Other than that one game, he has been pretty unspectacular from what I can see. Doughty isn’t great, but he seems to be playing better than Horton at this point. Doughty seems to be the only sure tackler in the secondary right now, and that is probably what has him in Blache’s good graces rather than Horton being in the doghouse…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we be done with stupid useless Portis yet please?

Posted by: hackeynut | October 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey

I believe one of those TDs was a result of a turnover by our O though wasn't it?

Posted by: REXskins | October 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

And keep in mind Osi scored 7 in the Giant game.

The post from an earlier thread is dead-on: he posted like he was dreaming, but made the point that if we had been building a line over the last few years we're 6-0 right now.

I even think the Giants outplayed the Skins all day, but the fact remains we lost by less than a TD. Prevent Osi from going sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, TD and we just might steal that game

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | October 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey

Posted by: REXskins | October 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

__________________

Yeah, that's probably why I was thinking that the defense gave up less.

I think the defense has some deficiencies, but to say they aren't a good defense is baffling.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

And also keep in mind that OUR PUNTER scored one of our touchdowns in that game.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

the skins finally signed levi jones... only question is what took soooooooooooooo long???

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 21, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Our offense...They gave up a TD to the Giants. That all goes against our defense in the stats.

no it doesn't..only points scored while the D is on the field counts against them..it only goes to the overall points allowed..

Subtract that 7 from the 23..our d only gave up 16...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Dude would be a hell of a lot more convincing if he actually walked the walk. But he can't be bothered with off season conditioning, preseason training, preseason games, midweek practices, and major stretches of time during the games -- but apparently has no limit to the number of excuses for his failure to play well and execute in sinc with the rest of the team. He's also not a nit shy about throwing other teammates under the bus -- as today's little BS about JC failing to hold a door for him proves.

His 78 yard run this past weekend followed the first stretch in several years of actually participating in practice -- but even as Sherm Lewis begins to install this week's offensive scheme for the Eagles, CP has decided to skip practice (again). What a loser!!!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I would lay off Barno. You've done enough. He seems pretty sincere in his comments and I don't think you should continue with this, it's getting pretty tiresome. Also, everyone deserves a second chance.

Hithere, Barno did admit he was wrong a bunch in an earlier thread. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 1:50 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, fair enough. It's just that Barno1 mixes mea culpas with statements like the following:

"But again, I think some of the resentment he has towards me was forged by comments attributed to me that were made by the Barno impostor. Obviously not all of it--we always disagreed on JLC--but at least some." (Quote taken from comment on earlier post today.)

The reason I am so interested in all this Barno comeuppance stuff is that I remember - and it has now been well documented by poopy (heehee) - that Barno1 repeatedly attacked the fan loyalty of posters that disagreed with him, and he also still seems to cling to some idea that "impostors" are the ones responsible for posting comments that make people mad at him.

So ok, I agree that Barno1 has basically now shown up and been fairly accountable for his past statements here, so yeah laying off seems right.

But I also expect that fan loyalty should no longer be an issue on this board. Anyone who spends time commenting - especially here, especially now - should be seen as "real" fans of the Redskins (of course excepting those who self-identify otherwise).

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 3:06 PM

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Subtract 7 from our 16 and the Giants Defense only gave up 10 points, since one of our td's came via special teams.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 21, 2009 2:57 PM

Horton's best game came against the Saints where he had a nice pick on the sidelines, a couple tackles, and recovered a fumble that won us the game. For a D that barely got any turnovers last year, he was pretty big.
Horton has decent instincts. He also brings it in run defense. He made 5 or 6 big plays last year near the goal line and throws his body into everything.
Obviously a liability in coverage, but in the Cobra package he is a nice piece.
Definitely a guy who can be part of a top 5 defense, I'm glad we have him for teams too.
Horon was named NFC rookie of the Month for September I believe. Seems like a locker room guy too, of course Im'm not there to really know.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 21, 2009 2:57 PM

Obviously a liability in coverage, but in the Cobra package he is a nice piece.
Horon was named NFC rookie of the Month for September I believe. Seems like a locker room guy too, of course Im' not there to really know.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: withoutdoubt27

I'm not so optimistically speculative. Our D would be considerably worse, and I'm not completely convinced that with 1-2 more seconds in the pocket, our plays would be that much better. At least, better enough to outweigh a worse defense than what we have.

I'm sure we'd have been better off by now, and in the long run. But 6-0... I dunno.

Posted by: REXskins | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

People. Portis is fine. His attitude sometimes sucks, but I'm sick of all the "lost a step" garbage. He may have lost a step, granted. He's definitely not worth what he's paid here, granted. But he's still good enough to hit a hole, if there ever were one.

This line couldn't open holes for Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Brandon Jacobs or any other type of runner.

A RB needs to hit the hole hard, but they're also supposed to use patience and vision to find a hole. Do you want him to show a burst when he knows he's running into a wall? Fix the line and Portis will again give us 125 yrds on 22 carries week in and week out. You'll call him comeback player of the year and I'll tell you he never lost it.

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 3:03 PM

Resoundingly agree.

This defense plus even an average, adequate offense would be 5-1 or 6-0 right now.

That's how bad this offense has been.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow Portis has awful grammar. Hardly new but sometimes i barely understand what he is even saying.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Best case sceanrio 2009-2010 OL:

RT- Poopy McPoop
RG- chrislarry
C- That stalker that stalked Tracee
LG- Talent Evaluator
LT- Barno (the real one)

Posted by: ElYeah | October 21, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Is this a discussion about how the skins play offense??? No, really they don't becuase they don't have any clue on how to get it done... Hasn't Zorn been preaching uptempo since he got here, yet it is slow, labored, and painful to watch.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | October 21, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

True that...So we need our Offense to score...as evident by the last two games

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but his pocket iz straight.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

It would be a riot if Brian Mitchell came out for the ring of fame induction with a paper bag over his head.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Portis isn't worried about his grammer.

When you're paid like that you let the money talk.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Saltine
Yeah, I forgot about the saints game…..just seems to me like he came on really strong and just kind of faded back to average rookie. Although still better than your avg 7th rounder, he just hasn’t impressed me since Dallas…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 21, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

This team just hasn't been the same since Leigh Torrence left.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

This post seems to just show that divisions that have been created within the coaching staff these last few weeks are now bringing out differnces between players (on offense, at least).

I think a lot of players must resent the special treatment CP gets. Treatment that started under Gibbs, by the way. Now favoritism is solidified through CP's relationship with Snyder.

Toxic environment. I just can't see how this season is salvageable with all this going on.

And by the way, didn't CP just get finished blaming the media on ESPN980? If he has a problem with Moss and Campbell, why does he talk about it through the media? Isn't he now creating the very distraction through the media that he complained about before? What a diva. And a cowardly one at that. There is a player who should not speak to the media for the rest of the season - but CP would never agree to that, he loves hearing himself talk to a microphone too much.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

With an O-line there would be room to run. Btings an extra guy into the box. Opens a passing game. If you can run and you can throw that means you hold the ball half the game or more. The defense would be better with a little rest even if we hadn't upgraded there.

6-0 comes from a cakewalk schedule. No Osi sack we beat the Giants. Gain one yard we beat the Lions. Score one time in the second half we beat the Panthers. One block by Sellers or move by Portis we beat the Chiefs.

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | October 21, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs...averages less yards per carry than Portis and he fumbles more..here in the Big Apple they call him tippy toe...it seems like that hit Fletcher put on him in the 1st game took his thunder...he's been tip-toeing ever since....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Airplane, The CP/Gweez Sequel:"

CP: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Gweez: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

CP: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The blog post brings up an issue that is worth more than a casual mention.

What are guys motivated to do on Monday Night?

I'll start with Jim Zorn. If I'm Zorn and I know I'm gone, I'm motivated to get every $$ I can on my way out. How does Zorn accomplish this? Don't know. But will winning the game puts less $$ in his pocket? Maybe. Is Zorn interested in Sherm Lewis succeeding? Maybe. Does Zorn want to have his job past Monday night or is he ready to take a deal and leave asap? Don't know.

Does Vinny want to win this game, or is it more important to him to find a scapegoat? Don't know.

The usual motive, to win, may not be shared by everyone with the team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

_________________

The only reason we're even discussing this is in relation to the argument about whether our defense is good or not. That the Redskins scored on a trick play due to an inapt offense is kinda irrelevant to the conversation. The argument isn't about the offense.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

27. Washington Redskins: Will Vinny Cerrato’s next demand be that Jim Zorn wear a Bose noise-canceling headset during Monday night’s game against the Eagles?

Pretty f ing funny!!

From this link...

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | October 21, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

But will winning the game puts less $$ in his pocket? Maybe

Um...he signed a contract, unless he resigns or signs some type of buy out, he's getting the contract he signed...what about this don't you understand??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"We done had a new coordinator every year. We done had somebody new calling the plays. We done had something different. We done had new linemen. We done had a new this, a new that, a change in quarterback. All of a sudden it become shock. In the midst of that change, it bring news for ya'll..."

Ladies and gentlemen! Introducing the new ebonics poster child: Clinton Portis!

Posted by: tripz | October 21, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"I donwn need no eff'n practis," he sayed, "and if (Sherm) downwn knos me and mys shiz, well eff him to!"

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Of course. Outside of Vinny Cerrato, Clinton Portis is the perfect symbol of the Snyder years. I can't wait to see this clown leave town.

Posted by: Tank2 | October 21, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Clinton, He good! He do what he do.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

He done did pay me, so when i be done sitting out dis pactise, I's gonna roll out on da field and run ups the back of my lineman like I done all dem other times this year. And after I done that I'm gonna roll back to my crib and done chill till they B done with pactise again.

Posted by: gwells1 | October 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

gwells1... you done had me laughin real hard there man.

Posted by: JHvet1 | October 21, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"Outside of Vinny Cerrato, Clinton Portis is the perfect symbol of the Snyder years. I can't wait to see this clown leave town."

Posted by: Tank2 | October 21, 2009 4:10 PM

Your memory is way too short. Try Deion, or Jeff George, or Bruce Smith, or Brandon Jacobs,or Trung Candidate, Brandon Lloyd, Arch Deluxe, Jason Taylor or even Haynesworth. In the end though I'd have to say Deion Sanders is the perfect symbol of Snyder's ownership. Until they sign Vick for next year, that is.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 21, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse