Chris Samuels remains mum on whether he'll play again

On Jan. 13, right tackle Chris Samuels said he had not made a decision about whether to retire because of neck problems that ended his 2009 season after only five games. Samuels, who spoke with reporters after Joe Bugel's retirement news conference at Redskins Park, said he would make a decision shortly after having another checkup in February.

The month is nearly over and Samuels, a six-time Pro Bowler and the longest-tenured Redskins player, has not made a public announcement about his decision. The Redskins have "nothing to update," General Manager Bruce Allen said the other day in a phone interview. Attempts to contacts Samuels and his agent this week were unsuccessful.

Several people familiar with Samuels's thinking, however, say they still expect him to retire because of the injury he suffered early in the Oct. 11 loss at Carolina. Samuels, who also has stenosis (or a narrowing) of the spinal column, has consulted with many specialists, several of whom warned him about the possibility of no longer being able to walk if he attempted to prolong his career, league sources said.

In terms of their draft preparations, the Redskins are expected to proceed as if Samuels will retire. He was the best lineman on one of the league's worst units last season, and it would appear that Allen and Coach Mike Shanahan must overhaul the ineffective group regardless of whether Samuels plays next season.

By Jason Reid  |  February 22, 2010; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell to prepare as if he is the Redskins' starter
Next: Redskins focus on present players, then draft and free agency

Comments

FIRST to say Samuels will play if he can find a doctor to clear him. I have a friend who does work for him and she says that he's scared sh*tless of seeing his big paychecks go away. Seems to me he'll play if he can get the clearance to do so.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

MAN F*UCK CHRIS THAT OLD FAT BASTARD NEEDS TO RETIRE INFACT THE WHOLE O-LINE NEEDS TO RETIRE WE SUCKED CAUSE OF YOU GUYS NOT CAMBEL NOT THE WIDE OUTS ALL THE BLAME GOES TO THE O FAT ASS LINE... AND ANYBODY THAT THINKS IM WRONG CAN GO F*CK THEMSELVES !!!!

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Chris, please retire! You deserve to live a long rest of your life walking.

Anybody see this?

So very thankful that our new DC speaks the truth about this overrated defense. I'm looking forward to the aggression he promises we'll play with next year on D! Also loved that he said Orakpo got 11 sacks on only 400 some rushes, he essentially said can't wait to see what he can do when we get him closer to 800 rushes. Sounds like no more o-sackpo in coverage....which is a good thing!

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:22 AM

Welcome! Enjoy your ITA cap.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

This week is the calm before the storm....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like no more o-sackpo in coverage....which is a good thing!

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 9:24 AM

Agreed...but I'm not sure how true that'll be if they switch to a 3-4. OLBs in a 3-4 do play coverage just the same, and I'd rather see us keep the 4-3 and move 'Rak to DE full-time. But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Now THIS is a mock draft I can appreciate...Bucky Brooks has us taking Okung at #4 and Sam Bradford as the only QB taken in Round 1 (by Arizona at #26):

I liked our pick but I would absolutely abhor the Gints selecting McClain and the 'Girls selecting Mays!

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

*correction* Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 7:38 AM

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought the children returned to school this week.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Read what they are saying in these posts. These are the only links I can get to from work.

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 9:11 AM

TWISI -- Thanks for the links. I hadn't seen them.

Posted by: League-Source | February 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

brown, if thats true, then Chris needs to be even more scared about spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair, than getting the checks. Someone needs to sit Chris down and have a talk with him.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

For all you stat-maniacs who love to tout JC's 'improvement' over the years, why not look at the major statistic: his ability to win.

Over the course of his career while behind by one TD or less, JC has racked up 14 TDs and 12 INTs. Last year, in the same situation, 7 TDs to 7 INTs.

Over the course of his career with the game difference being one TD or less (where he needs to lead a comeback or put the nail in the coffin), JC has racked up 30 TDs and 22 INTs. Last year, 12 TDs, 12 INTs.

Finally, and here's the kicker, when behind in the 4th quarter by less than 7 or tied in OT, career 10 TDs and 11 INTs. Last year, 0 TDs & 3 INTs.

These are not even including final 'drives' that end in 4 & outs (a la SD week 17) he's barely above .500 in his ability to not lose the game.

You can't blame JC for the losses? Oh really?

Now let's compare to his competition from the NFC East:

Tony Romo:
2009 Season
Behind by 1 TD: 7 TD-2 INT; Within 1 TD: 21 TD-7 INT; 4th Quarter Within 1TD: 4 TD-1 INT

Donovan McNabb
2009 Season
Behind by 1 TD: 4 TD-2 INT; Within 1 TD: 14 TD-6 INT; 4th Quarter Within 1TD: 0 TD-1 INT

Eli Manning
2009 Season
Behind by 1 TD: 7 TD-3 INT; Within 1 TD: 14 TD-7 INT; 4th Quarter Within 1TD: 3 TD-1 INT

And just for kicks, here's the Superbowl QBs stats:

Drew Brees
2009 Season
Behind by 1 TD: 11 TD-2 INT; Within 1 TD: 25 TD-5 INT; 4th Quarter Within 1TD: 5 TD-0 INT

Peyton Manning
2009 Season
Behind by 1 TD: 9 TD-2 INT; Within 1 TD: 23 TD-9 INT; 4th Quarter Within 1TD: 6 TD-1 INT

Bottom line, when it matters, JC fails.

Posted by: CecIVC | February 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

==============================
great post / research CecIVC
I know Bruce Allen reads RI.. but, I hope the other 31 GMs dont see your research.... Or, the Skins wont even smell a 3rd for JC.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

How does a lack of a future collective bargaining agreement(CBA) affect veterans, current or retired, on the injury front.

I'd hate for Samuels to continue playing, no CBA is reached and he suffers long term damage with no benefits.

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I get the impression that Samuels keeps asking doctor after doctor if he can play until one of them says "yes". I will have mixed emotions if Samuels decides to play another season because of the risk and because it is a better football team with him on the field. I just hope the doctors keep saying "no" for his benefit.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You say his stats looked good. You said his stats were better than any QB's in the AFC. What does this mean? Is he a better QB than Peyton Manning? Is he a better QB than Brady? Rothliesberger? This just goes to show the stats mean nothing. And again, look at the tape. How did Campbell pad those stats? It drove me crazy last season the number of times he threw to the underneath guy on third down. Three and out, but JC's completion percentage went up.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 22, 2010 9:33 AM

I never said any of this. Moreover, unlike you, I don't profess to being a scout. That's why I read excerpts from people who have played the game at a professional level; or scouted at a professional level; or who have being intimately involved in the NFL. I'm a fan; therefore I hope the Skin's maximize their resources and build a quality team. Maybe you were a scout or whatever that why you can analyze and see the warts of JC to be greater than what other professionals in the industry are seeing.

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 9:44 AM

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

REDDMV YOU GOTTA PROB WITH ME? AND WHAT I SAID? THEN HAVE SOME B*LLS AND CALL IT OUT RATHER THEN BEAT AROUND THE BUSH P**SY !!!!

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Samuels doesn't come across as the type of player that would just piss all his money away.

Hard to believe after playing for 10 years he doesn't have at few mil in the bank, add to the money that he would see in some sort injury/retire settlement I think he should be able to "feed his family".

He can't play football. It doesn't mean that he'll be bed stricken for the rest of his life.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:48 AM

This is going to end badly.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus

Hillarious! Does this dude know who he's f***kin with?

Posted by: dcwun | February 22, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

red, ignore it....you're a better man that to get baited by that....it'll go away...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Greg, my friend tells me that he's a pretty hard-headed guy (no pun intended) and doesn't always listen to reason. They've been trying to get him to do more to help increase his visibility in the community to help create some opportunities for him post-football. Dude is just too preoccupied with "living the life", I guess.

So I could see him doing what RSH was saying, going from doctor to doctor to doctor until he finds on that says he can play. Hope he listens to reason this time around because I'd hate to see the guy lose the ability to walk just to get another couple million from Dan Snyder's ATM.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

So I could see him doing what RSH was saying, going from doctor to doctor to doctor until he finds one that says he can play. Hope he listens to reason this time around because I'd hate to see the guy lose the ability to walk just to get another couple million from Dan Snyder's ATM.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

bsilvanus,
I know you are just Jon Jansen. Don't be bitter Jon.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 22, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CecIVC | February 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Works if you ignore the fact that there are 10 other guys on the field with JC.

The guys you compared him to all have better Teams and 2 of them are HOFers, of course JC won't compare well with them.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 22, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Please RETIRE. You are an overrated tackle and have been for a long time. I can't believe that you were ever voted into the Pro Bowl. You take plays off when you want to and get the QB slammed. I loved seeing that linebacker slam you in the face and watching your knees buckle. If you ever step on a field again the same will happen again. Get the hell outta here.

Posted by: Rappcounty | February 22, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'd prefer that Chris retires... 1. For his health, 2. Cause if the FO thinks we don't need a LT, they may be more tempted to go QB at #4...

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

brownwood--

I thought the story was that Chris Samuels was heavily involved with community service through the Chris Samuels Foundation. The Foundation should be pretty well endowed and it will pay him a good salary as Executive Head Mongoose, or whatever he calls himself.

I also assume he still has a lot more coming his way from all the guaranteed money he hasn't collected. But, yeah, he certainly will get more if he's in a uni than if he's not.

Posted by: League-Source | February 22, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus

I'm not a pu**y nor do I beat around the bush. But sometimes I do use my balls to beat bushed pu**y though...

And no, I don't have a problem with what you said at all. I wouldn't dare offend a man that posts in all caps. Guys like you are serious, and we all know that you're serious because you typed in all caps with obscenities.

Good job, son.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:48 AM

This puts the blog on Red Alert.

Posted by: League-Source | February 22, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bsilvanus

Hahahahahah... *smh* You stupid asswhole...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

brown, if I'm the redskins, categorically DENY this guy EVER GETTING on the field wearing a b/g uniform....they simply cannot allow this to happen..I think shanny/allen are way too intelligent football wise to allow this to happen...they don't want him getting wheeled off the field never to walk again on their watch....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Works if you ignore the fact that there are 10 other guys on the field with JC.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 22, 2010 9:55 AM

Dude, just stop...you're making sense. Screws up his whole argument.

The only thing haters like that guy will understand is getting a JaMarcus Russell-esque disaster at QB. And you'd think living thru the Heath Shuler experiment would create more appreciation for a QB who is unspectacular but at least doesn't outright KILL you in games. I mean, you'd think we're the 49ers (they of 3 consecutive perennial Pro-Bowlers--2 of whom HoFers) if you listened to these guys...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rappcounty

What's good with all the lame ass bamas posting up here as of late?

Chris Samuels, overrated? Takes plays off?

Really?!?!?!?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

No way I see the Skins picking at #4....

....Trade is inevitable....

...There are other QBs other than Bradford worth taking...and Okung may not be worth #4 if we can trade out an get one of the top 6/7 LTs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

All the Campbell haters when asked who would they play at QB in his place name guys like: Clausen, Bradford, Brennan, and Collins. Hell some are still hoping they get Daniels back...

None of them gives the 'Skins a better chance at winning in 2010.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Greg, I'd even cut him just to be sure. I doubt any other team in the league takes a chance on a 30-something LT with a long history of injuries. This is the time to cut big salary, I'd start with Samuels--no doubt about it.

LS, just about every prominent pro athlete has a foundation...I wouldn't be surprised if they pass 'em out at the rookie symposium. Seems pretty easy to me...set up a foundation in your name, get someone else to run it, make an appearance at some foundation sponsored event once a year. You can still go clubbin', no worries. I think my friend was speaking more on doing stuff like showing up at the draft and doing some analysis, like Jansen used to do a few years back. Or making appearances on talk shows and area functions. Stuff that gets your name out there and lets people get to know who you are a little.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

^^^Where is the "book it" stamp of guarantee?

Must have gotten tired of wiping that yolk off your face over and over again.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Dude, just stop...you're making sense. Screws up his whole argument.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Is thinking we need an upgrade for a guy who has been highly inaccurate, fumble prone, anti-clutch, unable to keep track of down and distance, has a slow release, locks onto receivers, consistently plays his best when the game is already over, and has generally accomplished nothing of any significance in 4 years of starting football games with 50+ starts hating? I guess you can call me a hater then.

That said, unless we sign 4 lineman in free agency I have to believe that JC is our best option next year. There is no FA QB (except maybe Pennington) that presents and obvious upgrade. And unless the line has been revamped drafting a QB at #4 and sticking him behind a makeshift line with an old back is a recipe for disaster.

IMO if we see 4 or 5 new lineman signed on March 5th with 2 of those being tackles then we very well may be drafting a QB at 4. If we see only a guard and/or a center then we are probably drafting a tackle.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

None of them gives the 'Skins a better chance at winning in 2010.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:12 AM

And you forgot to mention they incessantly (and ironically) compare JC to elite QBs despite their own assertions that he's nowhere near elite, instead of comparing him to other middle-of-the-road QBs, many of whom he's better than. JC is basically David Garrard with a slower release and a less theatrical wardrobe, but I have yet to hear anyone compare him to DG...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

From the blog's lips to Bruce Allen's ears. From loseable type to Allen's eyes? anyway...

Cutting Samuels is simply the right thing to do, a humane act. The man is a warrior, there's no quit in him. Take the decision out of his hands, and show him respect on his way out the door.

Posted by: SonofNero | February 22, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

None of them gives the 'Skins a better chance at winning in 2010.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:12 AM

Bradford would in 2011, though....The others you mentioned....I doubt...

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Thought I'd mention to the Mr Reid, who wrote the piece, and to the geniuses here discussing it that, um, Chris Samuels is a LEFT TACKLE. Always has been in the pros.

People how are we ever gonna fix this damn team if we don't know the difference?

Posted by: TheCork | February 22, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Chad "Super Soaker 10" Pennington?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hillarious! Does this dude know who he's f***kin with?

Posted by: dcwun |

Are you seriously suggesting someone should be intimidated by an internet blogging self-proclaimed bad azz?

Puh-lease, the only danger here is some precious little snowflake (thx Fark) might get their feelings hurt by someone's overuse of apostrohes.

Posted by: TheCork | February 22, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'd offer retirement first, with an immediate spot in the Ring of Fame...if he refused I'd cut him outright....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

ZJ, even the most staunch JC supporter knows that an upgrade is necessary...you just won't find one this year. It's the people who come with crap like "cut JC...he's awful" or "trade JC" that don't get it.

Just like any position on the field, I say you keep a guy until you can adequately replace him. That is an unlikely scenario at QB for this team in 2010.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

REDDMV YOU GOTTA PROB WITH ME? AND WHAT I SAID? THEN HAVE SOME B*LLS AND CALL IT OUT RATHER THEN BEAT AROUND THE BUSH ****** !!!!

Posted by: bsilvanus | February 22, 2010 9:48 AM
====================================
and this from a poster who selects a Handle that ends with those last 4 characters?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Great plan Greg. Hopefully they go that route.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

brown, I've never understood that either... comparing Campbell with the elites. I think your comparison with Garrard is dead on too.

There are only three or four in the entire league, which means 29 or 28 other teams would KILL to have one of those elite QBs Campbell is always compared with.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@CliftonBiz

No one is saying JC is as good as McNabb, Manning, Brees or even Romo. That would be crazy based on what we've seen. However, at the other end of the spectrum, there are a number of teams with weaker QB's than Campbell. That is not a ringing endorsement of our QB, but, I just make the point to show that it is not a slam dunk that if we cut him loose, our situation will get better. It could get worse. The real question is, who could we replace him with that would improve our team? Bradford and Claussen both have upside but we cannot use a #4 on either of them (maybe a #36 if they are still there). As far as current NFL QB's, who is out there that we would want? An over-the-hill McNabb? Garcia? Pennington? Orton? Teams don't let great QB's go.

Washington's best bet is to keep working with Campbell, while improving personnel in the other areas that they can control.

Posted by: jksesq1 | February 22, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:29 AM

The question is can Shanahan and son, if they choose to keep him, coach JC up to be a top 10-12 QB instead of a top 20 over the next ear or two.

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Why is it this Corksucking bastard can't keep me off his mind?

I mean, shouldn't you be worried about other things such as:

Your SSI check

Your cholesterol and blood pressure

Your "going problem" (I think the "growing problem reared it's ugly head years ago -- it remains unsolved)

Your estranged relationship with your children

Your wife fuc_ing your brother

Your tombstone

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Gerrard > JC17 in comparrison to game results. Gerrad has actually won games in the 4th QTR and in the Playoffs....

JC17 and Grossman....but even he lead his team to the SB....

JC17 and Patrick Ramsey.....Bingo

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Red, I've always likened it to complaining that you spent a lot of money on your wedding and how you're sooo pissed that your wife doesn't look like Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Aniston. I mean, those chicks are amazingly hot and are probably insatiable...unlike the Mrs whose idea of a "blow job" is sending you into 30 inches of snow with a snowblower. As if you didn't know going in you weren't getting a perfect 10...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 10:36 AM

We will soon find out.....Very soon....If he has the PAtrick Ramsey Syndrome, I am afraid it is too late....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

No one is saying JC is as good as McNabb, Manning, Brees or even Romo.

Posted by: jksesq1

I know several Cowboy fans who'd rather have Campbell than Romo. Just sayin'.

Most Cowboy fans I know all same the same thing: 'Y'all deadskins have no offensive line'.

And they're correct with that assessment too.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

4th, I think you're fully aware of how lame a comparison that is...put JC on the team Garrard had in JAX 3 years ago and I assure you the result is just about the same.

And going back to that to make a case for Garrard is about the same as me using the game winning TD pass to Moss vs. the Saints the same year. JC had a better year than Garrard did in '09, if we're keeping it current.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 22, 2010 10:29 AM

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 10:36 AM
-------------------------------------------
I don't think they can change Campbell so much as he spent two years with a guy who was supposedly a franchise QB- maker and Campbell has risen about as far as I think he will ever rise. I think they can tailor the offense to make him more effective. I get what you guys are saying about elite QB's and there being so few of them. I think the right thing to do is hang onto Campbell for another season, but I think there needs to be a plan "B". Maybe plan "B" is draft a QB in the later rounds this year. Maybe plan "B" is to wait until a better QB might be available next year. Campbell has hit his ceiling. They can change the offense to better suit his abilities, but Shanahan will have his limits to what he will change. Ultimately he is going to want a QB that fits his scheme, and that is not Campbell.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

It's funny that the stats never seem to show how much protection JC17 has at the end of the game. Where's the stat that shows him getting knocked on his ass in under 2 seconds by a 3 man rush? How are you suppsoed to throw a 15 yard out route when you can't even complete a 3 step drop? You can't drive down the field in under a minute with screen passes. By the end of the game our line is so crapped out that the defense knows all they have to do is sit on the short routes and they'll eventually get the ball back.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

cliftonbiz: Not to make an obvious understatement, but turnovers (INTs and fumbles) are game changers. And JC had the highest number, by far, in his career last year. I dont call that improvement for a 5 year NFL vet QB."

Sorry, bwana, but you're cherry-picking your stats here. You forget to mention that JC's 2008 season was remarkably atypical. He had the fewest INTs in the league by a considerable margin, and despite getting sacked 38 times (one of the NFL's highest totals), and carrying the ball another 47 times for 258 yards, he lost exactly one fumble. The stats pros over at footballoutsiders.com compared this to a similar season from David Garrard a couple years back and noted how this sort of low turnover ratio simply could not continue, regardless of who the QB was. Jason also received criticism from certain quarters for being too conservative and was directed by his coaches to take more chances, which led directly to more turnovers. The progressive dismantling of the offensive line was yet another factor.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 10:19 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Not trying to done JC, but I just see too much double clutching...

Gerrad did have a down year this year...but he has never had any receivers like we have here....

And he did enough to get him a nice 2nd contract ($7/8 Mil/year)....

JC has more potential, and I hope the Shannys can get that out of him.....

All that being said....Gerrad has outperformed his expectations...JC has not met his....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 10:48 AM

And that's why Zorn got fired. He didn't know how to adapt/adjust.

And that is another reason why I don't think you need a complete rehaul of this team. If the next coaching staff plays towards the strentgh of this team...they will be alright...

You don't think Shanny/Gibbs/Bruce/Vinny haven't been huddling up together for the past 10 months or so??

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 22, 2010 10:47 AM

I think that's a fair assessment. The thing I like about mike Shanahan is that he won a bunch of game with the likes of Jake Plummer and Brister. I think it may be fair to say that Shanny may not be able to use his whole playbook because of JC's limitations. Untimely that would lead Shanny to go in another direction.

Posted by: TWISI | February 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Now let's compare to his competition from the NFC East:
..Tony Romo
Donovan McNabb
Eli Manning
As clearly shown here, JC is significantly behind the curve when it comes to NFC East QBs...here's the Superbowl QBs stats:
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Bottom line, when it matters, JC fails."

It must be that the Cherry Blossom Festival started early because there's so many people out picking cherries. The NFC East happens to have three of the best veteran QBs in the NFL. So for fairness, you add in the league's two best?

What you've managed to demonstrate is that some other teams have better comeback QBs than JC. As if we didn't already know that. You don't bother to look at the other factors involved, such as the o-line, the chaotic coaching and play-calling situation, and the indifferent receiving corps, because they don't support your argument.

Like I said, the Cherries must be out early.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Right, that's exactly what happened on the pick he threw against New Orleans 10 yards from field goal range......oh wait no it isn't, he was protected and locked onto a receiver and threw a horrendous pick.....

I'm not saying its all on JC, he didn't have much help last year. But for the first 2.5 years of his starting career he had plenty of help with a healthy line and a healthy Portis and and it was Todd Collins that won 5 in a row and got us in the playoffs. There were plenty of times where he had time, had open receivers and just missed them. Stop pretending like he's blameless just because the line was bad, he sucked plenty last year all by himself. We need a better line, but we also need a better QB eventually.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"maybe its because David Gerrard was selected in the 4th Round, not the 1st Round. And Jax didnt give up practically a whole Draft year (2006) to get him.
Posted by: cliftonbiz"

So I guess your beef is with Joe Gibbs and upper management. None of that is Jason's fault.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

No team will consistently win with D. Garrard at starting QB, but thank god that's Jacksonville's problem.

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Michael Vick is the perfect example of why winning percentage is attributed to QB.

any1 looking at the stats would assume the Falcons prolly lost a lot of games b/c Vick's QB stats sucked.

But when the Falcons needed a play, Michael Vick made a play.

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN Insider:

Rams interested in Campbell?
10:45AM ET
Jason Campbell | Redskins | Interested: Rams?
Top Email

We continue to be interested to see how Jason Campbell fits into the Washington Redskins' long-term plans at QB, given the likelihood that they will draft a gunslinger this April.

But what if his immediate future isn't in D.C. at all? That's the hypothetical posed by NFC East blogger Matt Mosley on Monday. Mosley writes that perhaps the St. Louis Rams -- whose head coach, Steve Spagnuolo watched crates of film on Campbell as DC of the New York Giants -- will make a trade offer to the Skins, since Campbell might be seen as a more conservative alternative to Michael Vick.

Matt Mosley

Campbell could be available

"I'd be curious to hear what Spagnuolo thought of Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell at this point. Campbell's a restricted free agent for the Skins, but I'm sure Mike Shanahan would listen to offers."

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Look, the JC argument is simple.

He's not as good as some.
He's not as bad as some.
Our team is worse than most.
JC is not the weakest link.
Proportionally, JC is not a player that can be replaced with an improvement before September, in relation to other positions of greater need.
Herego, we keep him unless someone is willing to offer a 1st and 3rd. (unlikely).

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Gerrad has outperformed his expectations...JC has not met his....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 22, 2010 10:57 AM

And if Garrard were a 1st round pick would that make him a worse QB than he is?

Anyone with really high expectations for JC seem to have set themselves up for whatever disappointment they have. Have you EVER seen an elite Gibbs QB?

And don't give me Theismann and don't give me Rypien who had one REALLY good year. Seems to me Gibbs wanted what he usually had at QB...a game manager who doesn't kill you with TOs and has the arm to throw the deep ball. That's what JC is. Asking him to be Manning or Brady or Brees is unrealistic and I recall a time anyone claimed he'd be elite.

When you take a guy in the top 10, you expect elite. Considering he wasn't even projected to go until the 2nd round, that should tell you something. Seems to me, it's more of an indictment on Vinny's reaching (or premature edraftulation, as I like to call it) than it is anything Campbell did or didn't do.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

cliftonbiz wrote: Not to make an obvious understatement, but turnovers (INTs and fumbles) are game changers. And JC had the highest number, by far, in his career last year. I dont call that improvement for a 5 year NFL vet QB."
++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 10:53 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

cheery picking??
The discussion was "JC was improving". My point is that he actually hasnt.. (prevent D stat padding aside).
The most important requirement of a skilled position like QB, other then putting up points (which he is also near last in the NFL) is to not turnover the ball.. And in 2009 he nearly equalled 2008 and 2007 combined. If he hadn't thrown the Hail Mary out of bounds on his last (cant mess up my RFA QB rating) pass of 2009.. he would of.
So, I would say again..

W-L 4-12 and doubled the INTs (15) and fumbles in 2009 in his second year in a system..

Versus

W-L 8-8 and 6 INTs in 2008 in a "new system"...
Would strongly indicate he is not improving.

15 INTs, 2009
6 INTs, 2008
11 INTs, 2007 (played only 13 games)
6 INTs, 2006 (played only 7 games)

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

QB is a position in which we can and most likely will upgrade. I just hope we do it without reaching. I'd much rather take QBs outside of the top 15 than to pin our hopes and dreams for the next half a decade on one guy. I'd also like to wait on a QB and see if one falls to us in free agency. Remember when the Chargers had to let go of Drew Brees? How about when the Packers let go of Brett Favre? the Falocns let Matt Schaub walk. It happens quite frequently. It seems like we should build a great team first and worry about a QB when we are ready to compete and if one comes to us along the way then take him. I just think we are wasting too much time and effort on finding a franchise QB and are neglecting the rest of the team's needs as a result.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Beautifully done, Rypien. Can't think of a better way to sum it up.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Uhhhh, thats LEFT tackle Chris Samuels. Its not like he's been playing anywhere else for his ENTIRE career.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 22, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No one here will argue the Falcons had a stellar squad, yet they won games with Vick at QB and lost games when he wasn't.

The Cowboys went 9-7 in 2008 and 1-3 during the stretch Romo did not play with an injured pinky! Their offense was putrid in that span and Brad Johnson simply could not duplicate Romo's success despite playing with the exact same players Romo played with.

If Romo had not gotten injured, the Cowboys woulda made the playoffs!

Posted by: Vicc | February 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2010 11:11 AM
=============================
Is that "Here we go"? or "Ergo?". Or, tarzan for "He Rego"? He Riggo?? Or, a b-itch slap at Jason's girly play..."Her Ego"

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I personally can't wait for the Gerrard/Tebow QB controversy this year.
Kind of like being asked if you'd rather be punched in the face or kicked in the nuts.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 22, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's the other side of the coin, Clifton:

W-L 4-12 and threw career bests in TDs (20), yards (3,618) and completion rate (64.5%) in 2009 in his second year in a system.

Versus

W-L 8-8 and 13 TDs, 3245 yards, and 62.3% completion rate in 2008 in a "new system"...

Would strongly indicate he did somewhat improve...despite the obvious decline in offensive line play from '08 to '09.

See how easy it is to make stats say what you want?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I never said he was blameless. He's also not soley to blame for the loss either. You forgot to mention that during that Saints game he drove us down into the red zone late in the 4th qtr only to have the ball take out of his hands by our idiot coach again. We ran the ball 3 times in a row. We did this against Detroit and St. Louis too. When JC had the oppurtunity to end the game we take the ball out of his hands. We missed the winning field goal and then he threw the bad pick. Picks happen. Stop pretending like that pick was why we lost that game. You only have 1 or 2 of those you can pin on JC but we can pin almost half the season on the oline. JC got hammered in the Tampa, Kansas City, both Giants games, both Eagles games, both Dallas games, Panthers, and the Atlanta game. We had no run game this year. You don't give him any credit for trying to throw into 8 guys in coverage. He's throwing against 1 or 2 extra defenders and trying to do it in half the time as most QBs you are comparing him with.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

ugh, with the jc arguement......time to get some work done....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

LOL, O_e! I still don't get how anyone thinks Tebow has any real shot at being even a good NFL QB...move him to FB or TE and let him get a few Wildcat plays a game. JAX fans fooling themselves into thinking he can be their savior is completely insane.

I give it 2 or 3 years before that team is in L.A.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I haven't compared him to anyone, I've just said he's not very good.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"cheery picking??
So, I would say again.."

OK, I think you're missing the point. JC has an anomalous season in 2008. When I say anomalous, I don't mean just for him, but for any quarterback. He turned the ball over so seldom (via INT and fumbles) that he was virtually mistake-proof. That made it virtually inevitable that those same turnover numbers would go up in 2009-10. Which they did, as predicted by statisticians who didn't follow the Skins or Campbell. All you had to do was look at the numbers and you would see what was going to happen.

So you don't even need to know what happened with the offensive line (meltdown), the WRs (underperforming), or the play-calling (a league joke) to predict that JC's turnover numbers were not going to 'improve'.

What improved instead was JC's TD passes, which went from 12 and 13 to 20. His overall QB rating went up slightly. This in spite of 43 sacks instead of 38.

Basically, he did what the coaches asked him to do. He's not a playmaker; he's a game manager. You can't win with that type of QB unless the rest of the offense is functioning adequately -- which it wasn't in 2009.

When you do have a good functioning offense, you don't particularly want your QB trying to make big plays and instead turning the ball over. The evidence suggests that Jason would be a better QB on a better offensive team.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I haven't compared him to anyone, I've just said he's not very good.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 22, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Way to bring up todd collins. We all know that was essentially JC's rookie year and Todd had 6 years in that offense of course he was better...until somebody got some tape on him. See, the thing is TC didn't play for almost a decade so nobody had any tape on him. Then when Seattle got the tape they develpoed a game plan for TC. They realized that he can't throw to the sidelines. He doesn't have the arm strength. They began sitting in the middle of the field and picked his ass apart. KC did the same thing. All TC does is throws that 1 deep pass down the middle until the defense adjust. After that it's over. That's why he isn't starting and never will.

You also give TC the credit for beating the giants when it was really the high winds and the shotgun draw play that won that game. You give him credit for the Bears game when we had 2 turnovers that put us into scoring position. Todd didn't win those 4 games. We got lucky.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz"

Posted by: Samson151 | February 22, 2010 11:05 AM
==========================
you're confused samson.. My posting was a response to why no one compared JC to Gerrard. Not "why did the Skins trade the farm to get him". We all know why and that Gibbs did it. The same person who retired quickly after watching his recommendation perform (or not perform) in his third year as QB, 2007.

That year, Gibbs was seeing his HOF legacy going down in a flaming embarassment in the midst of an 0-4 losing streak with Jason at the helm until he got injured. Collins comes in after 10 years of no NFL starts and goes 4-0 and saves Gibb's reputation. As one RI poster put it.. Gibbs grabbed his legacy and ran. Remember how he was practically giggling at his press conference when he announced his retirement? Yet it was supposed to be a family situation.. He was also seen 3 days later at a NASCAR event.
Who can blame him.. The Dude Ran and his HOF bust is not too tarnished.

I do recall on Gibbs departure, how effusive he was about Collin's study habits and game preparation but very quiet about Jason...
As was Zorn about JC, except for a few jabs, upon his exit..

If no one makes an RFA offer for JC..
Next best option.. sign him in March and trade him in April for draft picks in the deepest quality draft since 1983.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Chris,
This team isn't worth it. Take care of yourself & your family.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | February 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 22, 2010 11:39 AM
===================================

Half the Skins OLine was out injured for the Seattle playoff game. Stephon Heyer, who still should not be in the NFL, STARTED that game as a Rookie who had never played an NFL down. Collins was running for his life from Heyer's primary responsibility, DT Patrick Kearney. Kearney broke the NFL playoff sack record..thanks to Stephon.

Collins is by far a better QB than JC.. Everyone can see it when he steps in... like the last time in the Gints game.. When JC went out briefly before the Half ended.. Collins, in 4 plays, moved the team further than JC had for the whole previous Half.. 2 for 4 for 57 yards. Would of been 3 for 4 but Davis drops a sure TD.. Next play.. Collins is out and Zorn puts in the Swinging Gate play that will live on forever in Redskins bone-headed coaching infamy.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
______
What Campbell supporters don't get is Campbell is a Russellesque disaster. Russell is a disaster because he loses.. well Campbell is 19-32.. how is that not the same disaster?? And yeah it's a team game.. but the QB is the leader, it's his job to find a way to win and Campbell rarely does even against crappy teams. Besides unlike other QB's has had a great defense.. and while yeah the OL is not been good he has made them look worse than they are by not being able read defenses. Bottomline I watched the games and to claim the Skins lose just because he never has time to throw is just crazy. He gets' sacked when he doesn't see the blitz coming or holds the ball to long. He's as much at fault as the OL. And is he worse than Shuler? I'd say yes. Not because he's not a better QB but because Shuler was so bad the Skins didn't waste time with him. With Campbell the Skins have wasted 5 years and now it looks like it could be 6.. Talk about a KILLER!

Posted by: sovine08 | February 22, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

skins have a great defense?..man you need to stop using drugs the washington defense has NOT been great since the time of green, manley and mann etc. I don't want to hear the b.s. about 4th ranked or whatever defense this team stops NO ONE when the game is on the line. No qb in years were as horrible as shuler a weak armed no running ability so-called qb who was beat out by g. frerotte(7th round pick)

Posted by: wathu19 | February 22, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 22, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Wish he could come back but
I'm not buying that at all. What's he more scared of - going from very rich to rich, or from able to walk to paralyzed?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | February 23, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse