Colt Brennan faces uncertain future with Redskins

In the past few days, I've answered a lot of email about Colt Brennan. Most of the questions go like this: With Colt on the roster, why would the Redskins consider drafting another young quarterback with the fourth overall pick?

Responding to everyone privately would be too time-consuming, so let me attempt to clarify a few things in one post. Former coach Jim Zorn wanted to cut Brennan before the 2009 season, people familiar with the situation said. In a phone interview last month after he joined the Baltimore Ravens as quarterbacks coach, Zorn declined to discuss personnel and situations that occurred during his two seasons with Washington.

But Zorn expected Brennan to challenge Todd Collins for the backup job in the 2009 preseason, and that didn't happen because Brennan struggled. Also, some in the organization grew frustrated with Brennan because of what they perceived to be his cockiness despite never having accomplished anything in the NFL, team sources said.

Brennan, a popular player, hurt his left hip during the final preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the team decided to put him on the season-ending injured-reserved list and he underwent surgery. In addition to his left hip damage, Brennan had surgery on his right hip before his rookie year.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Redskins definitely would have released Brennan if he had been healthy or that he lacks potential. And I don't know what Coach Mike Shanahan thinks of Brennan, though I plan to ask him this morning during his media availability at the combine.

Zorn, however, determined that Brennan did not progress enough from his rookie season to commit a roster spot to him. Although Zorn was fired after going 12-20 in two seasons and often seemed to be in way over his head, his credentials as a quarterbacks coach are unquestioned.

Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Hasselbeck credits Zorn with much of his development. Other teams quickly pursued Zorn for quarterback coaching positions after he was fired. No matter what anyone thinks of Zorn as a head coach, the guy has had success working with quarterbacks.

And it's not as if Brennan was considered a lock for NFL stardom despite the 21 NCAA records he set while at the University of Hawaii.

Brennan became a fan favorite after his productive preseason debut in the 2008 Hall of Fame game, but the former coaching staff saw things differently. Brennan quickly achieved cult status after he went 9 of 10 for 123 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-16 victory over the Indianapolis Colts at Canton, Ohio.

Fans (and some members of the media) didn't seem to care that the Colts had mostly rookies on defense at that point of the game. It was a nice debut, especially for a sixth-round draft pick with a flawed throwing motion who was trying to make the switch to a West Coast offense after playing in a run-and-shoot scheme in college.

Coming out of college, Brennan was not as highly regarded as Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen - widely considered the top quarterbacks in this draft class. Even if the Redskins do not select a quarterback with the No. 4 overall pick, Brennan might face a difficult road to make the roster. And if the Redskins do select a quarterback early in the draft, Brennan might have more opportunities elsewhere.

By Jason Reid  |  February 26, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive linemen make their case at combine
Next: Live: Mike Shanahan news conference at combine

Comments

First to say that Colt Brennan is a part of the same group as JC...Dead Men Walking

Posted by: scottmando | February 26, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Fine by me...seems to me Colt had his chance last preseason and promptly blew it.

I haven't any talk whatsoever about Jeff Garcia...not just in connection with the Redskins, but ANYWHERE...did I miss his retirement or something?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn didn't want to keep him, then he got injured.

Is there a reason they put him on IR instead of just cutting him?

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

p1funk, I think you have to reach an injury settlement before outright cutting a player who is hurt. Seems to me stashing him on IR wasn't a bad move, I just don't get why they didn't keep Chase Daniel to be the #3 QB.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn didn't want to keep him, then he got injured.

Is there a reason they put him on IR instead of just cutting him?

Posted by: p1funk
------------------
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think a team is allowed to cut a player that's actually on the roster after he has been injured.

Posted by: postwell1 | February 26, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

To add to what I just said, I'm talking about cutting a player in the same season he's hurt. I could be wrong, though.

Posted by: postwell1 | February 26, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Where are the members of the Cult of Colt? Anyone, anyone..Bueller, Bueller..

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I just think some of you are so funny. Bith and moan about Danny/Vinney and the way they ran the team and not addressing the biggest problem the o line. Yet a lot of you are calling for us to go after a QB and once again ignore the line.

Posted by: jm220 | February 26, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

people really took the time to email about Colt Brennan...I mean, who does that...seriously, this cat is 1 step behind Marcus Mason on the career success chart...if you email ANYONE about Colt, someone signs you your computer, there is just no arguing that point...you're an idiot, galactically stupid, and every other insult that I use...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Where are the members of the Cult of Colt? Anyone, anyone..Bueller, Bueller..

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 8:09 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:00 AM
------------------------------------------
I'm in totally in agreement with you. I'm perplexed by not keeping Daniel; but I think it was the right thing to do to squirrel Colt away on IR. Maybe he will grow up and rededicate himself to football. I have never heard the phrase "strong work ethic" in conjunction with Brennan's name. I believe he is a guy who could be a player if he could only get his head in the game, but that is a mighty big "IF".

No one talks about this kid Richard Bartel who was signed in mid-season last year. He has kind of bounced around from a few teams, but Zorn must have seen some potential in the guy. Just wonder what he offers as far as competition for Brennan.

To round out the QB discussion, regardless of what they do with Campbell, I think Collins is done. If Shanny is going to have a veteran QB on his roster, I think it will be someone familiar with the offense. I've heard Rex Grossman's name come up more than a few times because of his experience with Shanny Jr. in Houston. Grossman makes sense. If he needs to be the interim QB, I think he can hold down the role for a season or two.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 8:17 AM
-------------------------------------------
If we had a team of Colt Brennans, Marcus Masons and Leigh Torrences, we would be unstoppable. Un. Stopp. Able.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:19 AM

I think that place is called Philly...they hate on their qb who has been to several pro bowls and at least been to the super bowl.

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Colts a goner.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

rsh, yeah, haha, sure...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:21 AM

You had me up until this remark.

There is nothing anyone can tell me that will make me believe that Grossman is better than JC. And for the morons who will undoubtedly give me the lame "he started a Super Bowl" argument, the Bears went to a SB IN SPITE OF Grossman, not because of. That's like giving Trent Dilfer credit for the Ravens winning the SB...only worse, because Dilfer at least protected the ball instead of fumbling the center/QB exchange and throwing picks to opposing DBs on a weekly basis.

If Grossman is the backup, I could live with that. Rolling with him for 16 games is shooting yourself in the foot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I thought beggars can't be choosers?

Posted by: kone | February 26, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:21 AM

You had me up until this remark.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:28 AM
------------------------------------------
Is he better than JC? At least he knows the offense and is familiar with what the o-coordinator wants to do. In my mind, you are just swapping one inconsistent QB with another. Neither will take you to the Super Bowl. I did say "interim" QB, by the way. If they can get trade value for Campbell, then yes, I think Grossman does make sense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

The idiots clamoring for Colt are the same ones crying when we cut Chase Daniel.

Posted by: rich20ssu | February 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

RSH, seems to me that JC's trade value is in the toilet right now...IMO, you play him this year (I expect he'll play even better in Shanny's system) and hope you can get some trade value out of him in 2011. I mean, if all you can get is Whitner out of him this year, why risk being left with nothing at QB?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:38 AM
------------------------------------------
I heard it would be Whitner and a draft pick. If they can get a third or fourth round pick along with Whitner, then I call that walking away from the Campbell experiment with something to show for it. They can sign a free agent like Grossman to "game manage" for a year while they either groom a rookie or plan to draft a QB in 2011.

You're right, though. If it is Whitner only, I am not sure that is a great deal, and I would be okay with Campbell holding the reins another year while the team targets a QB in the 2011 draft or tries to develop a player from the draft this year (did I tell you I am big on Tony Pike?).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Keep heart Cult of Colt maybe Shanny gives him another shot. Colt has such a lon way to go before anyone considers him a starter in the NFL. He has to show work ethic however, and that has been one of is flaws to date.

RSH if you go back and watch Broncos highlights/games when Plummer was QB, you will see how upsetting it was for big Shanny to work with such an inconsistent QB. I don't think he'll want to start his tenure in DC such as Grossman.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Postwell1,
I think you can cut a player if they are injured, I think its part of an injery settlement. But with an injury like what Colt had, I think their thinking at the time was:

Why not just IR him, and give him 1 more shot,Collins is probably gone through retirement or cut to clear cap space this season.

My gut tells me Colt will be gone to start the season. And whichever UFL team ends up grabbing him is the one I will root for this year.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 8:47 AM

I wouldn't take anything lower than a 3rd...that almost ensures they'd be able to land LeFevour. But the issue I have is that Whitner is a SS...that's where we want Landry to play. So getting a backup SS or playing him out of position at FS isn't worth giving up the only NFL level QB on your roster (unless Trent Edwards comes over in the trade as well).

Again...it's not that I'm completely against replacing JC, I just wanna replace him with a definite upgrade.

Grossman ain't a definite upgrade.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Emailing JReid about Colt Brennan has got to be high on the list of "things that should make you realize you need to get a life"

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Did you all see these comments from 'Los. I posted it last night.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me stashing him on IR wasn't a bad move...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:00 AM

It depends on why they kept him. If they kept him because they think he might get better, then they're only fooling themselves. If they kept him because they were afraid that 2/3 of the RI posters would be in front of Redskins Park with pitchforks and torches with malicious intent, then I think they're on to something.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 9:00 AM |

Only legitimate reason to e/m him is to inquire what perfume Cindy Boren is wearing. Even, then, that could get your name put on a list -- just a different (and probably better) list than the Colt Cult.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
Yeah, you misunderstood me if you thought I was saying Grossman was a long term solution. The Redskins just need a caretaker for this season.

I think getting Whitner is an interesting situation. The more I research it, the more I think he would play free safety with the Redskins. He has decent coverage skills and he's easily faster than Horton or Doughty. I think its an upgrade over last season's secondary if you can have Whitner at free and Landry at strong.

As much as I like Horton and Doughty, I don't think they are going to fit Haslett's defense as well as they fit Blache's. Greg Williams would love to have Doughty down in New Orleans and Doughty is an RFA. Maybe the teams can work a trade. I know it doesn't sound sensible to trade one of your defensive leaders from the previous season, but if the player doesn't fit and they have a surplus of safeties...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | February 26, 2010 8:37 AM

Well, not all of us are the same. I cried over spilt Chase, but would laugh about spilt Colt. Have to say, though, I trust Zorn's judgement about QB's and if he thought Chase wouldn't look good in maroon and black, then it was the right thing to let him go.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

huh, where's my boy diesel that said I was clueless because obviously no QB was franchise worthy and to just ask the Rams two months before the draft.....seems like they may disagree.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

TWISI--Thanks for posting the 'Los link. It's the most "insider" stuff I've read on Redskins Insider for a while. I hope more of the guys will loosen up about the Zorn years.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

twis, if you could post the body of that, I'd be thankful...

the redskins should tell him that they want him to intercept more passes....it works both ways carlos...poor play doesn't get rewarded...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

So Zorn didn't want to keep him, then he got injured.

Is there a reason they put him on IR instead of just cutting him?

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Probably because Cerrato had final say on the matter, not Zorn.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If we draft a QB, we will need a veteran back up and that is NOT Colt. No point keeping him around as the number 3 QB for a third year when he has not shown much progress (to my eyes). I suspect it is time for him to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Posted by: edvar | February 26, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | February 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Are they the same people who would likely have tried to call for Kilmer over Sonny? Actually thats unfair to Kilmer who actually had NFL talent.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:10 AM

Posting a link to "Sports Rumor" which has a link to Adam Schefter? That proves your brilliance? Um, I think it strengthens Diesel's case, not yours. But maybe you're being sarcastic again?

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

BG the link is being blocked by my system administrator. Can someone post the body for BG please.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE Colt and hope he stays with us.

I'm sure this will shock no one...

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

This is a great lead in to an interesting thought for Rogers. Why not pay him on some sort of a commission structure similar to what a lot of sales reps get? I don't have the particulars all figured out, but basically he gets a sucky base pay which increases in increments based on INT's, as well as incentives for not getting burned on double-moves. Or implement a system where we fine Los for every pick-six he drops, or every time he gets beat on a double move. Under this scenario, based on my calculations, over his career he'd already owe the Skins about $10 million, give or take a few bucks...

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Again points to the lack of viable alternatives to JC17 -- who is simply too dumb and discombobulated to play anywhere else -- and need to draft a QB AND take one or more from free agency too.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter, the guy who broke Shanahan coming hear before anyone else and who is one of the most respected nfl reporters there is says "he's heard enough" to definitely say that the Rams are taking Bradford 1st overall.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't but at the very least they are thinking about it. But I know, the RI bloggers are smarter and know there isn't a single QB in this draft capable of performing better than the deity known as Jason Campbell and his vastly superior talent.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

zfjrfjerfereer,

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:10 AM

actually, check out john clayton's article on espn's website which states that qb's and lt's are going to go higher because teams don't want to pay players top dollar who don't play the typical high value positions. He then points out how Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson among others were not able to help turn around struggling franchises...and one more thing, the rams have drafted d-line twice in recent years...

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE Colt and hope he stays with us.

I'm sure this will shock no one...

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 26, 2010 9:17 AM

Shocks me, because I always thought you wanted the Redskins to win.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I'll play the 'Cult of Colt' role on this one...

The guy may not have outright WON the backup position last year, but he didn't play much worse than the other 2 backups.

He should get an opportunity to compete for a spot on the roster. Crazy Eyes (is that a better nickname?... still workin' here...) has seen some good QB play and should know how he'll pan out.

...kids got some fire, let him try.

They should still pick a QB if someone they like is available, let him ride the bench at the 3 spot.

btw - nice interview w/ Double Move!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember all the details, and I don't want to labor through the issue because we are only talking about Colt Freakin Brennan, but...

I thought that when they shut him down for surgery it was more an "option" that they chose instead of something they "needed" to do. It wasn't like an ACL issue where there is only one thing that can happen - surgery to repair it.

In his remarks, JReid makes absolutely no mention of Vinny C., and I'm wondering if the decision to keep Colt and IR him came directly from Vinny, given that it seems Zorn wanted to get rid of him.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE Colt and hope he stays with us.

I'm sure this will shock no one...

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 26, 2010 9:17 AM

Shocks me, because I always thought you wanted the Redskins to win.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about that.

She was also mad that Suisham got cut. He cost the Skins 2 wins this year.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:24 AM |

That was Vinny's job -- to make decisions like that. Vinny may have been influenced by posts from Lisa and a few others on this blog.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Vinny on RI? No.....that can't be!

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I heard Shefter on Mike & Mike this morning and he did not say the Rams were going to draft Bradford. He said he believes they are seriously looking at him or Clausen. His rationale is that the last 3 years the Rams have passed over a QB and still continue to lose and there comes a time when the fan base will not take it anymore. Something like that.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 26, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 9:20 AM
==========================
good post BigE.. I would agree that if Bradford passes his physical 100%.. Rams should take him.
Polian (who some think is the best GM in the NFL) once said his biggest mistake was using a 1st pick on an OT.. (tony ugoh?). And now subscribes to the principle, that if you have a once in a decade pick.. You select the highest value skilled position that can impact your W-L column. You dont waste it on an unskilled position that can be neutralized fairly easily by an opponent (shifts, double teams, etc). Needs being the same, of course.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Lisa always had a weakness for the pretty ones

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

twis, if you could post the body of that, I'd be thankful...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If folks are interested in the gist of the Los remarks, here's my rundown.

1) I blame the coaches and they treated me unfairly. It's their fault.

2) Sometimes I get beat on double-moves. Oh, well. I'm sorry. Folks just need to suck it up b/c people get beat sometimes, and to illustrate my point I will throw D.Hall under the bus and point out that he got beat by D.Jackson on that reverse end-around.

3) I can't catch the ball, I don't know why, but I can't catch it. At least I'm a better tackler than D.Hall.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

are people being serious with this colt talk...I can't tell if this is serious or not?? I mean, he played ok/good against guys who deliver UPS packages now, so I can COMPLETELY understand the draw....I mean...is today opposite day on RI?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the plan is to switch Colts this year... Noodle arm Colt Brennan for Noodle arm Colt McCoy

Posted by: Burrasta1 | February 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I would love it if the rams took Bradford at number 1….then maybe a dream scenario could come true where some team who wants Clausen, Su, or whoever else is left at 4 would trade up….maybe someone in the 10-15th pick range would perhaps trade us their 1st and 3rd rounders to move up to 4. That way we could get two good OL and maybe even a decent QB. It would be really nice to get back a 3rd round pick. Just a little gravy, and a guy can dream right?

Does anyone know when men’s USA hockey plays…is it at 3 or later tonight?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

If folks are interested in the gist of the Los remarks, here's my rundown.

1) I blame the coaches and they treated me unfairly. It's their fault.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

This is ground breaking news? CR has been saying this crap for 3 seasons. He's a punk who's always thought he's much better than he actually is. At least he's been humble enough to cut back on the preening and posing he was doing early in his career. Landry could take a lesson from that. Nothing would make me happier if we could have an Auburn-less roster ASAP.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

if bradford goes #1. Okung must be the pick @ #4. The mentality of a potential franchise QB cannot be denied when picking in the top five. Just hoped that we could have benefited from this not so little secret. Oh well, another one that slipped through our fingers like Aaron Rodgers in 2006.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM

Don't forget, if Orakpo was a full time DE, our LB group would have been the second best unit on the team.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

It's as if Los is delusional or something.

I mean, I know these guys need to have confidence, but Los just takes it to another level.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when men’s USA hockey plays…is it at 3 or later tonight?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'd be just fine with moving back as well, but it would take more than a mid-first and a third to move up to #4.

According to the current draft value chart it would take picks #10 and #40 (high 2nd) to equal the value of the #4 pick.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Beantown -- here's the 'Los interview (in two parts). Let me know if you think it said what funk and Angry Old Man Jack claim it says.

Had a very interesting conversation Monday night, with a guy I have been somewhat critical of for his play during the 2009 season, Redskins restricted free agent Cornerback Carlos Rogers

One thing you have to admire about Rogers is his feistiness, his ability to speak his mind and keep clawing for what he believes in.

Will he back in 2010, after his contract expired – following a tough season for the team and also for Rogers on an individual level?

“I definitely want to be here, especially after the coaching change — but it is in their hands.” Rogers was drafted in the first round, back in 2005, under the Joe Gibbs/Gregg Williams regime – but things started to sour quickly when Greg Blache took over the defense.

“Before the coaching change, I wanted out.” I asked Rogers where it all went wrong between him and Blache.

“We were 6-2 in our first 8 games, and it was Carlos this and Carlos that. I was playing really good.” Rogers was referring to the first 8 games of the 2008 season under ex-head coach Jim Zorn and with Blache running the defense.

“Then in the 2nd Half – we bring in D-Hall and (Shawn) Springs gets healthy — and me and Smootie (Fred Smoot) get pushed back. We were carrying the team!”

Rogers described how they gave up on Smoot in the Giants game at home on a sloppy day, and even though he was matching up and shutting down top receivers, eventually the decision was made to remove Rogers from the starting lineup.

“They didn’t even tell me,” Rogers said. “Jerry (Gray) had told me they were thinking about a change, but I was practicing with the 1’s, I warmed up with the 1’s that day (in Cincinnati) and then they told me in the tunnel.”

Rogers said he had an ally in Gray, who always fought for his guys. “Jerry said he went to Coach Zorn and Blache, and told them they were making dumb moves.” Gray is now in Seattle, Springs spent last year in New England and Blache is retired but to close the book on Zorn’s first year, Rogers simply said “Everyone knew Springs was Blache’s boy.”

So then came perhaps a fresh start in 2009. A chance to redeem himself with Springs gone, but Rogers said it was not much different. “We got rid of Shawn, but it was still the same thing. We never changed. I got beat for the double-move TD against Philly on (Monday Night Football). I got beat, and I’m sorry. When you are always in ‘man’, I can’t play soft and I jumped the slant.”

Rogers wasn’t done talking about that game. On the first drive of the game, DeSean Jackson of the Eagles ran a end-around reverse for a long touchdown that resulted in several missed tackles, one being DeAngelo Hall. Rogers couldn’t understand why he got all of the blame and “nobody said anything to D-Hall about getting beat.”

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know when men’s USA hockey plays…is it at 3 or later tonight?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 9:37 AM

Your dream may yet come true if the Buffalo interest in JC17 rumors are true. This would be great for us in aquiring more draft pics and good for JC17. Yet another trade scenerio rumor, cheesh poor guy.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It will be really really interesting to see if there is any kind of trade market for Carlos Rogers.

I'm really curious to see how other teams out there evaluate him after seeing him benched twice in 2 seasons here in DC.

And if no one else out there thinks he's worth getting, I wonder if Los will continue to insist that he is indeed a top-notch #1 CB who is being discriminated against by coaches.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Carlos -- Part II

After the bye and a loss in Atlanta, the Redskins returned home to take on the Denver Broncos and early on – Kyle Orton dialed up Brandon Marshall for another double-move touchdown, beating Rogers once again. Rogers never saw the field again that day, a move that of course did not sit well with Rogers despite a rare Washington win.

“They benched me for what happened against Denver. They told everyone they wanted to see how I would practice and respond. I was like are you serious?”

I asked Rogers about the issue of blitzing, and if that put too much pressure on the defensive backs. Surprisingly to most, Rogers told me “We did blitz, all the time. When we were in man, we blitzed almost every play. We blitzed a lot, but we just didn’t get there enough.” Rogers went on to say “We couldn’t stop something when we needed too.”

Another criticism of the old regime that Rogers had, along with playing too much man and in his opinion, not effectively blitzing was the inability to take away and focus on an opponents strength. “When you play some of the stuff we were playing, say against a mostly passing team and you don’t take their strength away – it’s going to haunt you.”

Just to be clear, Rogers has no issue with DeAngelo Hall saying “I like DeAngelo, we were fine.” Rogers also recognized what most Redskins fans and media complained about saying “Why is (Brian) Orakpo a linebacker? He is a defensive end!”

Rogers went so far to say on that issue that he thought the secondary was the strength of the defense and the team for that matter, with the linebackers 2nd in his mind. He said “When Orakpo was where he should be — at defensive end — the linebackers were great.”

Turning the page from the last two years won’t be easy, but “I want to be here. It’s a fresh start.” Rogers, never shy continued on the new regime saying “There are new coaches, a new GM. That’s one of the biggest things. We finally have a good GM, and Coach Shanahan wants to win.”

Rogers said he has talked with new Secondary coach Bob Slowik and new Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett. He told them he takes pride in covering top receivers, that it what separates the men from the boys. He was asked by Haslett, what he feels he has to work on and not surprisingly – Rogers said he told them ” at the point-of-attack, with the ball in my face, I just have to catch it. I don’t know why I can’t. D-Hall has great ball skills, but I can tackle.”

One last parting shot from the outspoken former first round pick, on his secondary mate – the often criticized Laron Landry. “Laron’s a good player. They tell him to do too many different things. He’s confused a lot. He’s probably better at strong safety.”

Say whatever you want about Carlos Rogers, and I have been very critical of him at times and he knows that. Say this though, he’s got some bulldog in him, he has some fight. One last thing, he wants to be a Redskins player and that should count for something.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks League I will stop now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 26, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Is it me, or does CB look way too small to play QB in the NFL?? I was holding my breath every time he droped back to pass..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 9:19 AM

Hey! Did you take time to read your own tread? First, you said there are no viable alternatives to JC, then you said take a QB from free agency, question is if you believe there are no viable alternatives, where then would you find a viable replacement to JC. Obviously, you are confused, now tell me, who is actually dumb and discombobulated? At least JC is smart enough to make it to the NFL and actually starts for a team. Take you JC hatred somewhere else. Unless you a member of Shanahan staff, please shut down your useless brain and stop posting nonsense.

Posted by: abxinc | February 26, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 9:46 AM

I'd keep Los, he's not the brightest bulb but he he says things that we all have suspected. And it is rare for a NFL player to be so straight foward about things when it could jepordize his pay check. He's young and physical. Remember he was a top ten pick. New regime change will be good for him.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I just don't really get the "Orakpo is misused" take.

Dude had 11 sacks last year.

If that's "misuse", then let's keep making that mistake.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The 1st 3 picks in the draft are already done:

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh/McCoy (essentially the same)
4. ???

Now What?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Thats just great. Zorn wants to cut a QB instead of trying to develop what he has been given on the roster.... Whether its colt Brennan or Colt McCoy. so what ??? he had a young QB here and the poor guy spent the whole season being abused by other teams defenses... Hasselback had good receivers, OL and an MVP running back.... Sure, when you are winning spread the praise around..

Posted by: djv123 | February 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

thanks for posting guys....not sure what to make of that...sometimes the blame game has to start with oneself....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Rogers has always struck me as the kind of player who needs to feel like he's the man.

He plays better when he is the top corner but if someone else gets the attention he sulks and it affects his play.

He needs to sack up and play no matter what.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

dl USA plays at 3pm...

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 9:59 AM

we're screwed

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Based on that interview Rogers needs to get a grip. I always get rubbed the wrong way by guys who can't seem to ever point the finger at themselves and blame everyone else instead. Were Zorn and Blache good coaches? IMO, nope, but be a man and own up to your own mistakes.

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh/McCoy (essentially the same)
4. ???

Now What?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 9:59 AM

Hallelujah! Someone trades up to grab McCoy/Suh.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

If we can't get THE top OL or QB, I'll be very disapointed. 2nd best OL at #4 does not have a good ring to it. DT we just don't need it. FS?

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"I got beat, and I’m sorry. When you are always in ‘man’, I can’t play soft and I jumped the slant"

"with the ball in my face, I just have to catch it. I don’t know why I can’t."

I don't know what else you want him to take blame for. Sounds like he knows were he screwed up and what his weaknesses are.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh/McCoy (essentially the same)
4. ???

Now What?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 9:59 AM

I don't think the Lions will take Okung. They'll grab Suh or McCoy and the Bucks will get DT sloppy seconds.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Bradford at No. 1 for Rams?
10:04AM ET
St. Louis Rams
Top Email

There are two immutable facts related to the St. Louis Rams this offseason. First, they are in severe need of a new franchise QB; even if Marc Bulger does come back, he doesn't have much mileage left by all accounts. Two, there are two QBs that are in the Top 6 on Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest Big Board. ESPN's John Clayton has opined that the Rams will take one of them, Sam Bradford, first overall this April.

It's not necessarily a new theory, as Bradford and Jimmy Clausen -- and, prior to announcing he was returning to UW, Jake Locker -- have been considered as potentially worthy of that No. 1 pick for some time now. As Clayton argues, the financial considerations of paying a huge sum of money to a DT (in the case of Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy) or S (in the case of Eric Berry) is not something the Rams want to involve themselves in.

Here's NFC West blogger Mike Sando on another reason why the Rams current management might want to take a QB with that pick:

Mike Sando

Developing a QB buys them some time

"Having a quarterback drafted first overall could, in theory, buy time for a coaching staff on the theory that any coach should have time to develop the quarterback it drafted early. The Rams are going through an ownership change. The new owner might want to hire his own people. Perhaps the new owner would be more likely to keep the existing staff in place if that staff had drafted a quarterback to build around. The Seahawks' situation comes to mind. I wonder if the organization would have made such sweeping changes if, say, quarterback Mark Sanchez had been the choice at No. 4 instead of linebacker Aaron Curry."

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

abxinc:
One of the major reasons for the Redskins failure to win last season was the lack of viable alternatives to playing JC17. His faults and weaknesses were on display week after week, and despite a long and unbroken chain of failure and loss upon loss, Zorn decided to bench JC17 for a grand total of one-half of one game. Why? Because (some said) there were few if any viable options to playing this loser.

Apparently, no one wanted to play Collins, despite his clearly better performance in the brief moments he was allowed onto the field, and if the Redskins actually had a third-string quarterback this season, no one saw him.

Hence, a message to the Redskins scouting staff and ownership group: develop some better options for the coming season. The fans will not tolerate yet another lost season of poor play, weak excuses and failure to compete.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 10:08 AM

I don't know...they need a franchise LT to protect their franchise QB. I wouldn't rule out Detroit taking Okung or another LT at #2.

I would take whichever DT is left. Probably the best available player at that spot anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

IMO getting rid of Campbell and getting a young QB does the same thing for Shallen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I just don't really get the "Orakpo is misused" take.

Dude had 11 sacks last year.

If that's "misuse", then let's keep making that mistake.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

What don't you get about it?

If someone isn't put in a position to maximize their potential, isn't that misuse?

If Rak could have had 3-4 more sacks and created more pressure as a full time DE, wouldn't having him drop into coverage be misusing him?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 9:19 AM
==============================
Vic1, Jason is not "dumb".
I would suggest Gibbs froze JC into a too conservative (or frightened) QB after a few picks his rookie playing year (2nd year). Recall that Gibbs was his first NFL Head Coach.. And it is well known that Gibbs drilled into him ball control after those early INT picks. And thus, in the late 4th Qtr, you see the mechanics of a too conservative QB (78 per cent of passes under 10 yards, etc). Especially in the last 7 minutes of a game.

Look at his stats below..

If it is entirely the OLine's fault for JC's performance.. How is it that the same OLine allows him a QB rating of nearly 91.0 if you drop the last 7 minutes of the game? He even achieves a 109.6 QB rating in the 3rd Qtr (with same OLine personnel). But he loses his confidence and composure (mechanics) in the last 7 minutes of a game..(61.0 rating).

(the 4th QTr stats listed below are before the last 7 minutes of the game...and are actually in the 93+ range)

1st Qtr 69.8
2nd Qtr 85.5
3rd Qtr 109.6
4th Qtr 78.8
4th Qtr 61.0 (less than 7 minutes)

Blame Gibbs? Maybe a little? But, you cant blame the OLine entirely if JC has a near 90+ rating for the first 3 Quarters.

Possibly a new QB Coach and Shanahan will restore JC's confidence when the game is on the line.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 10:07 AM

Lotta 'Los haters up here. They won't be satisfied until he says, "Time for me to hang it up. I gave it my best shot and I don't have anything. I just don't belong in the NFL. I've stolen money from the Redskins and I'm giving it all back to them."

I think this interview also shows that they guys who were saying "Carlos is so bitter that...." don't know what they're talking about. He is bitter, but it's not toward the Redskins nor any of the coaches who are here now.

I don't think they'll be able to get anyone better than he is in FA this year and that he'll be a starter in September.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the Lions will take Okung, which is why the draft gets more interesting if the Rams go QB at #1. Everything I have read says they Lions will take Suh or McCoy, which means the other will still be sitting there at #3 possibly. So does TB then pass on Berry? Do they trade down? Or do they take McCoy or Suh at #3? It could shake out where we are sitting at #4 with our choice of Clausen, Berry / McCoy / Suh, and Okung...

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow Vic...nice attempt at bringing Collins back into the convo. Get outta here with that weak sh*t.

Tom Collins is the only Collins we should be talking about up here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 10:08 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I've read several articles that say the Lions staff views Cherilus as a career RT. That it could happen and that if they take a LT with their 1st pick they would slide Jeff Backus inside to guard. Don't know if they will or not but that's certainly been talked about:

Backus to move inside?
2:58PM ET
Jeff Backus | Lions
Top Email

If the Detroit Lions decide to grab Russell Okung with the No. 2 pick (or trade down a little bit and grab him with their new pick), they'll have to ask one of their tackles to move inside to guard. If we can judge anything from head coach Jim Schwartz's comments to the press on Thursday, that will likely be Jeff Backus instead of Gosder Cherilus.

"He can play left tackle, he can play left guard," Schwartz said, according to the Detroit News. "If that's something he ends up doing, I think he could do either one." And Cherilus? "I don't know. I think he's a tackle. I think he's a good right tackle. He's still a little bit of a developing player. But I don't think we're at the point where we're looking at him as anything other than a tackle."

The odds are certainly against the Lions trading down or taking anyone aside from the Big Two DTs this April, but anything can happen between now and then.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

ppstr8, how about simply, "I need to play better"....PERIOD. He's had 8 games where he was truly dominant, out of his career. Other than that, its been lather, rinse, repeat since being drafted. Tell me if you were an OC going up against the skins which CB would you attack, and with what moves?? Yeah, thought so. Sorry, but as much as he tried to take some blame on himself, he was placing blame on others as well.

Personal responsibility...simply, "I need to play better"...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic

Vic,

I would have to argue that the one pass that Collins threw that we all remember may very well be attributed to the coaching staff--it seems logical to think that the coaching staff would want to put a back-up in the best position to succeed or protect him from making a huge mistake. Collins lacks the strength to throw an out, but he can make a touch pass to the then hottest offensive player on the team. Collins can't throw over the middle every play, ergo back to the bench.

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the team just needs to hire a new shrink or two to help JC17 with his confidence... a music and dance instructor to help him with his rhythm... an optimitrist to help him with his reads and downfield vision... a tailor to help him with his pocket presence... a general to help him with his leadership traits... a lawyer to handle his excuses and alibis... etc., etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Matty, the Bucs are a virtual lock to do DT at #3 if one of them is there. So if the Lions pass on Okung, he's the pick for us at #4.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So let me see if I get this straight.. Campbell has sucked for 5 years yet people.. including Reid want to keep giving him another chance but Colt had ONE poor preseason playing behind an OL that were so bad they couldn't replace the BACKUPS who were so crappy they couldn't replace the OL you guys say are horrible!!! And this after he had a GREAT preseason his rookie year!!! And why because he was to cocky??? Look Colt might never be a good QB but he is under contract, since he was drafted in the 6 round he's paid almost nothing.. what is the harm in letting him play a little who knows maybe the real Colt was his first preseason not his last. BTW if Zorn is so good as a QB coach.. how bad must Campbell be if he still sucks after 2 years of being coached by him???

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic
=========+++++++++=============

Collinsworth said the same thing during the Giants game when Collins came in for the last 4 plays of the 1st Half and took the Skins nearly 60 yards into the Giants end zone where Fred Davis dropped an easy TD pass.
Campbell comes back in to start the 2nd Half and throws a Screen Pass into the stands.. arrrgghhh..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

seriously with the colt talk....seriously??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Personal responsibility...simply, "I need to play better"...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I would use any move I felt like and I would throw at Carlos all day long. There's no risk in it, its not like he's going to catch the ball even if it hits him in the hands so why would you ever throw at anybody else. That's what Carlos has never grasped, yes every corner gets beat now and then, yes Dhall gets beat too, but Dhall heck even Tryon makes INTs that change games. The best that Carlos can provide is a tackle or a pass broken up so when he gets beat its worse than the others since he never provides positives. The best of what he can do is what any starting corner should be able to do, a top 10 pick and a guy who acts like he does should be able to do a lot more....

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by sovine08

do you really need people to explain what the harm is in playing a guy who was nearly cut?

btw--in colt's preseason performances, what are his stats in the last 7 minutes...against 4th and 5th string, er, um, I mean players that were removed from the team in the first round of cuts?

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Personal responsibility...simply, "I need to play better"...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It was an interview. He wasn't reading a prepared statement.

I didn't find any untrue/unfair statements. Carlos is just saying what everyone up here thinks about the defense.

If he were just making stuff up to excuse his play, I'd have a problem.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 10:25 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I like how Zorn dodges the "what is your opinion of Campbell" questions, the last two months. Same why Gibbs did it 2 years ago. But Gibbs couldnt stop talking about how great Collins was.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Players play. Coaches coach. Carlos Rogers needs to remember this. If he wants to retire and get into coaching, then fine, but until that time he needs to grin and bear it. I can see the team trading him away for a bag of M&M's and a fourth rounder. I'd be intrigued with re-signing him as a free safety if what we're hearing about the JC trade is not true. Rogers does have speed and he's not a bad tackler. I've even seen him drop the hammer on a few receivers in his career, so it mgith be something he's good at.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Vic1,
I don’t think you are going to get anyone up here arguing that JC17 is an elite QB who can carry a team on his back. It’s just that your same old argument every other day has become more than tiresome. We all get it; you think he sux. But you have really brought it to an unforeseen level of hating up here, and it is very grating. You are so far beyond beating a dead horse up here that we are all pretty sick of it, and see you as a broken record, with no sort of credibility, only an anti JC agenda.. I’m not even going to argue with you about how there is still a possibility that he might not be as bad as you proclaim; I know that it’s useless to argue with you about this. Dude, just drop your anti JC argument for a while and see how things play out. There’s plenty of other stuff to talk about.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

But Gibbs couldnt stop talking about how great Collins was.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:32 AM

He was great in practice--I mean, we are talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. Practice. It wasn't even a game--we're talkin' 'bout practice---

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

ppstr8, still think its a matter of personal responsibility...play better, period...catch 100 balls a day from the juggs machine, STUDY MORE, stop getting beat on the same moves, over, and over, and over, and over....

don't blame blache...don't even mention anyone else but point the blame ALL at himself....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I like Rogers showing that emotion. The guy plays hard and you can tell he wants to be good. These last 2 years were complete wastes under the old coaching regime.

F Zorn.
F Blache.
F Colt Brennan.
F Skins fans who clamor for him and make the rest of us look stupid.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | February 26, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 10:16 AM

Martin MAyhew is a smart dude. He just picked a Franchise QB and is now in prime location to pick a Franchise LT where they can both grow together for a long carreer.

All this talk about the 2 DTs going 1 & 2 in the draft is hogwash.....Because I have been saying to myself,'How can the Rams pass on Bradford?'

And it is no secret that the Bucs covet McSuh (My new name for either or to be picked)....

We would be totally F#$ked...and it can be reality.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I LOVE Colt and hope he stays with us.
I'm sure this will shock no one...
Posted by: Lisa_R
____
While I don't love Colt I do hope he stays. Really what a dopey article about a guy who was on IR last year. To me he is the only guy you can't blame for them going 4-12. To me Colt is a unknown but who had a great college career and great rookie preseason. And Reid wants to punish him for that. Let the guy play a little.. why should there be a rush to cut him??? Reid also say's Zorn didn't like Colt well I'm not hearing Zorn saying to many nice things about Campbell or wanting Campbell on the Ravens.. what does that say about how good Zorn thinks Campbell is???

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Colt's one preseason = JC's five seasons?
I don't hear "He was never given a chance" chant for Colt, after all he had 21 NCAA records, how many did JC had?

Zorn, Gibbs, Saunders, etc, all unquestionable QB and/or Offensive legends were failures with JC?

Bizarro world! I would have thought the failure would have been JC.

Posted by: nimes1 | February 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

CB needs to get a new helmet, that lid has been flying off his head when getting smashed since the bowl game against Georgia.

And oh yeah, he's a waste of a draft pick and roster spot.

Posted by: bhoang888 | February 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think we keep Carlos for one more year. Before you ridicule me, I am going to apply the same reasoning as the JC argument. For the time being--before FA, Draft, Camp--we don't have a ton of depth at the CB position. Tryon is getting better, but Smoot has peaked. Kevin Barnes looked lost at times, but I think he'll get better. DHall is obviously a starter, but that's it. Again, there are so many positions where starters and depth players are needed, and corner is one of them.

Posted by: BigE44 | February 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I just don't really get the "Orakpo is misused" take.

Dude had 11 sacks last year.

If that's "misuse", then let's keep making that mistake.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

What don't you get about it?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't get it because 11 sacks is highly productive for anyone in the league, especially a rookie.

Jason Taylor was "misused".

Brian Orakpo with 11 sacks in his rookie campaign is NOT being "misused".

The logic that says "switching to DE full-time will increase his sack total" is flawed b/c it doesn't take into account the other aspects of that switch - such as being pounded into the ground by giant Olinemen on every running play, which will wear him down over the course of a game and season, resulting in diminished explosiveness and power on those pass rushes.

Anyhow, maybe switching him to DE full-time will increase the total; maybe it won't.

Either way, one is hard-pressed to step back from a Pro Bowl season and say the player was "misused".

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure in 5 seasons the coaches never told Carlos about been aware of the double move. Its totally their fault he was ill prepared and had to figure out for himself how to play man coverage and learned that the only way (and apparently taught Landry as they discuss strategy on the sidelines- still my favorite moment from last season btw) is to jump every thing you see in front of you despite the fact you're lined up 15 yards off the ball.

that's sarcasm btw LS.

That's the part that killed me in watching them, the corners are consistently in man 10 to 15 yards off the ball, and the safeties are 30 yards deep, yet they think they need to "jump routes" in front of them. If you're going to be aggressive and jump routes, then play press coverage!!!!! they've backed you off for a reason so you don't get beat deep, but those two muppets still figured out ways to get beat deep consistently.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

There must be a way to get another first. Package JC or Carlos Rogers with a 5th rnd pick and pick up another first. Okung with the No.4 (although not opposed to Jimmy Clausen, but the Okung on Orakpo argument may have swayed me a lot more towards Okung), then hope for either Clausen to fall or Rolando McClain to be available at our next first round pick. And if neither is, we still have another first round pick and early second to address the many needs we have.

Posted by: A_o_C57 | February 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I was thinking shooting a little higher, but still below the belt.

Posted by: mdrockjock | February 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. Suh/McCoy (essentially the same)
4. ???

Now What?

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Unlike a lot of the buttheads on here I'll play along. It's just a what-if and I think it's definitely possible that this could happen. The Bucs could take Okung too you know. Now, in this case since Okung is off the board you have to look at the best prospects available.

You have the following players in our need positions(LT, RT, G, C, RB, QB, LB, FS) in addition to the top 5 prospects:

Suh/McCoy
Clausen
Berry
Haden
Spiller
Bulaga
Davis
Iupati
McClain

I think in this case I'd have to go with Bryan Bulaga over Anthony Davis because of his lateral movement. Now the real question is do you take the tackle because it is your greatest need or do you draft the QB to get the best value for your pick or do you draft someone else? I simply can not justify drafting a free safety or a guard this high. Running Back is a very difficult decision because of their short career and Spiller has questions about his size and whether his playing style will work in the NFL. I 'd pass on him at 34. Haden could be a great pick if we moved Rogers but if that doesn't happen then I'd pass. McLain is intriguing but I couldn't pick a defensive player this high with the offensive woes so that rules out LB and DT.

This would narrow it down to Clausen vs. Bryan Bulaga. I'd go with Bryan Bulaga simply because I don't want to shell out 70 million dollars to a guy that has size issues and various other questions. If it had been a better prospect like Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker then I'd take him. This is very close so I wouldn't be mad if they took Clausen here.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Vic1,

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 10:34 AM |
**********************************88888
Dlhazel.. I dont believe Vic has a "hatred" agenda here for JC.. I have never seen Vic mention "hate" or anything on that level??

If that is the case everyone on this board has "hatred" agendas for any draft prospect they dont want the Skins to draft.

I think the reason there is a JC vs Collins lighting rod here is that it was so obvious to Redskins fans and the media (Collinsworth and Simms) that Collins was the better QB towards the end of the 4-12 season. One of my favorite blogs out there is "Collins Could of Saved Zorn's Job".. No kidding it really exists..

As last season got mathematically away from the Skins... the only reason JC continued to Start was to maintain a decent RFA status as a "Starting QB". What compensation would the Skins receive otherwise, if JC was sitting on the bench? Probably the difference between a 1st or 2nd round compensation to a 4th or worse.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

But Gibbs couldnt stop talking about how great Collins was.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:32 AM

Posted by: BigE44
_______
No it was after Collins won a regular season GAME!!!.... "On December 6, 2007, Collins replaced Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell who left with a dislocated patella tendon. Taking charge of a team depleted by injuries Collins completed 15 of 20 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns, leading the Redskins to a 24-16 victory. Collins won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performance against the Chicago Bears. Coach Joe Gibbs was particularly pleased with the performance saying "I don't know that I've ever had a better performance coming off the bench. Ever."

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Colt the answer? "What's the Question?"

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Chris Russel was discussing his conversation with JC17 from yesterday this morning on the junkies....

Russel thinks the Skins need to offer JC17 a 2 year deal to put more confidence in him since he has to constantly hear about trade rumors.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a hater. I'm sure he's a fine and upstanding citizen... a good son... a true gentleman and a sincere friend to many. But for some unfathomable reason, he just can't seem to get it done on the football field. I'm not saying it as much as he is -- with five (and counting) seasons of failure here proving the point. I also sincerely wish him every success ahead -- but somewhere else please.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44
____
UmmmColt might have been o
playing against 4th and 5th string guys but h was alos playing WITH 4th/5th sring guys... His OL was were guys 2 back from the OL you Campbell defenders always blame. He didn't have oss or Cooley to throw to or Portis to hand off 2.. he had guys who now work at Walmart.. but still in his rookie year he lead the team down the field and scored. You guys love stats you always use them to defend JC perhaps you should look at Colt's stats again... Cause I don't care who he was playing against it was pretty good for a kid right out of college... "Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason . He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions. For the preseason, Brennan's completion percentage was 67.9% and his quarterback rating was 109.9."

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Don't be a fool and fall for the same old thing we've had the last 10 years. Nothing has changed, including the firing of Zorn and Cerrato and the hiring of Shanahan and Allen.

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!

Posted by: hessone | February 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Brennan is a #3 in the NFL, no more.

At age 27 he is only 2 years younger than Campbell and has yet to start an NFL game or take any regular reps.

I doubt that Shanahan is going to save a roster spot for a guy who struggled as much as Colt did last preseason when playing against other scrubs.

No doubt Mike will want to tab his own guy, whether as a late draft pick or UDFA.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

1. QB is the biggest question mark on the Redskins right now. That being the case it's strange that no comment has come out of the Shanahans about Brennan.

2. Comments of Colt's poor work ethic and cockiness are probably true, Brennan's problem is between his ears.

3. IMO it seems that he could be a playmaker and accurate passer, so there is the potential to play at the NFL level.

4. Shanahan will instill a strong work ethic to the team. This could be the best chance for Colt to straighten up and get serious. If Colt doesn't straighten up he will be gone fast. If he does he may get a chance.

5. Will he get cut, take his game to the next level or crash and burn? It's anybody's guess, it should be interesting.

Posted by: pastorbobs | February 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor
_____
This guy Russell must be a real IDIOT!!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

... The same place you'll find the JC haters if Campbell goes like they want him to and we're stuck with the likes of J.P. Losman or Chris Simms for a season or two...

Either of these two guys would be a step up from JC!

Posted by: bestmick1 | February 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Brennan has an unusual throwing style and is a bit height-challenged, but he's a gamer and he has proved that to many fans. So what if he's cocky? Would you prefer a QB with confidence issues?

I hope he gets a fair shot because he's fun to watch.

Draft OL at #4!!!

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | February 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think JC is fine for now. As for Colt, did anyone think Trent Green was more than a pretty face holding a clipboard? We were wrong about him. Someone needs to sit Colt down and say "You can be Babe Laufenburg or you can be Trent Green, which will it be?"

Posted by: didnik | February 26, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

At any tight spot in a game, JC has failed and will continue to fail. He sucks.

Posted by: tramellcanady | February 26, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What a joke...COLT??? Geez. The guy did OK a couple years ago against 3rd string and never-gonna-make-it players. Then last year against the same type players he was awful. University of Hawaii??? yikes. He was only a shot in the dark and that shot was a bad one. Bye Colt. ... please fly away

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | February 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

This is not journalism. No facts. Just conjecture. Why doesn't Reid say I don't know anything new because I didn't do any investigating. And he should add, P.S. I'm a Colt hater. Its laughable that he thinks Zorn's a great QB coach. Did he see Campbell these past years?

Posted by: jgn123 | February 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Shane Daniels did nothing but win at every level of football his entire life. Had a good preseason, far exceeding Colt, and what happens? Shane is cut and minutes later New Orleans picks him up. We keep Colt and now they're talking of cutting him. This has become so typical of Redskin management.

Posted by: jrussell1 | February 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Rex Grossman? he is one of the absolute weakest QBs i've seen in a LONG time. this guy can't tie shoes right.

Posted by: dcjazzman | February 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | February 26, 2010 7:24 AM

LOL

Posted by: anacostia85 | February 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

P-L-E-A-S-E cut Colt. He will get picked up in a nanosecond by a real team and will be a solid starter before the seaon is done.

I love the double standard: Colt's preseason success should be discounted because the other teams were playing backups and rookies. Who do you think the other 10 Deadskins on the field with Colt were?

The 'Skins will be lucky to go 4-12 this season. Let Colt get to a more serious team!

Posted by: Time4Sanity | February 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

It's unfortunate that Colt was not given the kind of support and opportunity that Flacco received from the Ravens.
Colt came on the scene with a winner's mentality and brought a new dimension to the Redskins.
One thing for sure, a winning mentality is still needed for this team and it would be a shame and a great loss if the "crabs in a bucket" mentality dragged a true winner down.

HTTR!

Posted by: lizkauai | February 26, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The issue with judging scrub play in preseason isn't a physical one. Its because the teams runs vanilla schemes - and anyone good enough to come out of college can grasp them. Thats why you see so many preseason all-stars get cut - because they can't run the real plays in practice (when its closed to casual fans and scouts from other teams).

Posted by: geotherm21 | February 26, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JR for posting a Colt freking Brennan article. Pls interview him and give us a status of rehab, health, endeavor and mindset to win the starting QB job and instill some pizazz into our Sundays at FedEx. There is no way Skins cutting Colt, when they have a Jake the Snack in their pocket. And with 6th round minimum salary??? Forget about it!

The only thing I see accurate in your article is "And I don't know what Coach Mike Shanahan thinks of Brennan" ;-)

Posted by: GoSk1ns | February 26, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

See a lot of folks short-changing Colt on his preseason play and there negative talk of his work ethics. How can one really judge when he's playing with the 3rd team and how is anyone but his training staff qualified to rate his work ethics. He was busting his #ss along with the rest of the team in the 90 degree summers at Ashburn...
Colh has the total package. Even you short-changed him...Colt held 31 NCAA records, for accuracy's sake.

Posted by: GoSk1ns | February 26, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Cocky? A cocky player on THAT team? He was just what they needed!

Posted by: kls1 | February 27, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhoang888

Skrew u racist. What do you know about Colt? You can't play!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 27, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Colt was never a good practice player..even at Hawaii..that was fact. But when he stepped on the field, it was amazing. The most accurate passer i've seen. Zorn and Colt are opposite personalities.
Zorn good qb coach...but terrible head coach. His gameday preperation was just terrible and that made the team disorgaized. It made Campbell look very bad at times. Game Day preperation ..hopefully Shannan will fix that problem.

Posted by: cowrabbit88 | February 27, 2010 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Not to belabor the point, but everyone seems to make a great deal about Brennan facing mostly backups in his first preseason. The part they always leave out is that Brennan also was playing with a squad of unrestricted free agents, low draftees, and players who wouldn't even crack the roster anywhere else in the league. Don't try to suggest that our backups are better than those other teams. With all of the injuries and ineffective play of the past 24 games, if a player had even a shred of promise he should have made it to the field.

As for Brennan's flawed delivery, sure it's three-quarters side arm and he's only 6'3". Campbell has a absurdly long, slow delivery, but I've never seen a column where Reid made such a point about it.

I don't know if Brennan will ever be a starter in the NFL. I don't know if he'll even become a serviceable back-up. But I bristle at the virtually incalculable volume of excuses made for Campbell that are totally disregarded when it comes to discussion about ANYONE else on the Redskins, Brennan included.

Posted by: tkoho | February 27, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the fans in the CULT OF COLT.....he sucks.

Chase McDaniel was beating him soundly at the training camp sessions I attended.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | February 27, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the fans in the CULT OF COLT.....he sucks.
Posted by: GoonieGooGoo

How would you know? You never got to see him in an NFL game! As for your narrowmindedness, you form an opinion without facts....That sucks like your opinion and GOO GOO? What name is that...it sucks as well.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | February 28, 2010 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Check out this article on the Jason Campbell debate:

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit what I saw last summer at training camp, C.Daniels looked better than C.Brennan he showed moxie, but then what do you expect out of the past regime?
Correct personnel decisons?