Cooley Gives Zorn a Vote of Confidence

Tight end Chris Cooley expressed his support for embattled Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn and said he did not envision splits occurring in the locker room because of the team's disappointing 1-2 start.

"Coach Zorn is our coach," Cooley said. "We have complete faith in what he's doing, the scheme that we're running and the way that we do things here. There's nothing for me to say, anything about his job or his job security.

"He's an outstanding coach. I think he's a great guy and I enjoy playing football for him."

A day after the Detroit Lions ended their losing streak at 19 games with a 19-14 victory over Washington at Ford Field, Cooley was among several veterans who said the team still could salvage its season with 13 games remaining.

With the heat around Zorn intensifying, many national media members arrived at
Redskins Park to question players about the team's problems in the red zone and to attend Zorn's weekly news conference.

"I can't put a finger on anything. No one in here is going to be able to," Cooley said. "Fortunately, as a player, I'm not the person who has to put a finger on anything. I can just show up here and I can just continue to work hard and try to do my job."

As for the question of team unity in this difficult time, "I don't think there's a worry that guys will splinter in this locker room [or] that guys will separate. We're a close team. The thing that we have to do is keep our enthusiasm up.

"We have to keep coming back and working hard. And you got to say, it's Week 4 right now.

"We're fine. We've just got to figure out a way to win some football games. We're not out of anything right now. It's unfortunate that we lost and we ended Detroit's losing steak, but we're fine as a team right now in the situation we're in. Obviously, we have some major hurdles to overcome, but we can do that."

By Jason Reid  |  September 28, 2009; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' Problems, Submitted Without Comment
Next: Injury Update: Haynesworth to Have MRI

Comments

how about an update on his injury, he seemed to be limping pretty badly at the end of the game....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Cooley Gives Zorn a Vote of Confidence

By JReid

--------------------------------------------

1st to say SO THE SJK WHAT?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

So if Snyder wanted Spurrier back for a third year after going .375.... then why is everyone so sure he will fire Zorn?

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's presser coming up on 980!

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

wikipedia entry for cerrato:
First stint with Redskins

Cerrato was hired by the Redskins in 1999. During this time, he acquired older big name stars like Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Irving Fryar, and Mark Carrier. He was then fired by Marty Schottenheimer in 2001. During his brief hiatus from the Redskins, Cerrato worked for ESPN as a college analyst.
[edit] Second stint with Redskins

Cerrato was subsequently rehired by Daniel Snyder in 2002 as the Director of Player Personnel and was named Vice President of Football Operations in 2008. During his current stint with the Washington Redskins the Redskins have continued their decline from being one of the best franchises in football to a franchise in utter disarray. Most Redskin fans feel that Cerrato and Snyder are systematically destroying the franchise.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | September 28, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think they need to stick with Zorn. It takes longer than 19 games to go from the traditional Gibbsian power-run/play action design to a West Coast design. I don't like watching the WCO as much, but they committed to it and they need to see it through. Impatience (while understandable on the part of the fans) has been this organization's primary problem for a decade.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I love how Zorn says we didn't stop them on a 99 yard drive. You did stop them and then instead of having them try a 50 yard FG, you put a tired defense who had been on the field for 18 plays back out there by taking the penalty.

What a jackazz take some f_cking responsability for you actions.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

These Cooley qoutes seem to be 100% B.S.

100% B.S.
============================================

"I don't think there's a worry that guys will splinter in this locker room [or] that guys will separate. We're a close team. The thing that we have to do is keep our enthusiasm up."

Ahhh...more BS

==========================================

And another full serving......

At this point, there's a big disconnect between the players and the fans; the players and the media; and the front office and everyone......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

flound, if you could post anything of signifigance, I'd appreciate it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

at least the hokies are #6

Posted by: follybeach | September 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

greg,

I'll try not the best at typing fast.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think there are so many things wrong with these statement from Cooley. No ownership of the problem. A laize fair attitude to losing. I think it's disappointing to read these quotes from one of the best players on the team. It speaks volumes as to what is happening at the park.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

If I recall from Seattle, it just suddenly "clicked" for Hasselbeck and the offense in year three. The issues the offense is experiencing are natural and will improve with time (and an influx of young talent on the o-line in this year's draft).

What is more concerning is the defense. I have a lot of confidence in Blache, but he may need to get out the cattle prod to force those corners to play tighter. What did we pay D. Hall all that money for if he has to play 10 yards off the line to avoid getting beat deep?

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 28, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@4thFloor:

What do you want them to say? Do you want them to throw each other under the bus and just forfeit any chance they have left at a decent season?

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but for the remainder of the season I'd still rather see a team that believes in itself and it's coach go out there and play, rather than watching a raiders-like joke of an organization, with players laughing at their own poor play.

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Here it comes, the "vote of confidence". When Danny Boy weighs in with one, Z-man is G-O-N-E before the end of the season.

Posted by: DCV1 | September 28, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy...my beloved Redskins! First off, I want to say that I have been a fan for 32 years now. Lived all over the world, and never rooted for any other team. My heart breaks though for what I saw yesterday, and to be honest, what I have seen for the last few years. I have been a huge JC fan, but he seems to still be struggling. Flacco is a immediate success, Roth in Pittsburgh an immediate success, Stafford on his way to being an immediate success. Campbell is still struggling after 5 years; time to go another direction at that position. Campbell was a better QB and had more success than all of the aforementioned QB's in college. Clinton Portis has got to go!! I am sick of his pampered butt, performing subpar....he's not Terry Allen, Stephen Davis or even Timmy Smith for petes sake....not mention Riggo. He's pathetic, and he's playing on the back nine of his career. I like JZ, however I do not think he is the "fire" to restore us to prominence once again. To be honest, I am leaning towards Jon Gruden. The guy has an intensity that is almost unrivaled among his peers, and while it drove me crazy to see that intensity in him when he was with Tampa, I think it would pay huge dividends for our beloved Redskins. Mr. Synder, please give Vinny a office job or something...does he know any programming languages? If not, I will be happy to teach him make the President Webmaster for redskins.com, but get him away from the decision making processes. For those who say "we have been fans for X number of years, but now we are done"...I can only say "go then". I won't hurl insults, but I lived through the 1-15 seasons, and even with one win (against the cowgirls), there was cause for celebration and for loyalty. Redskins fans don't tuck tail and run! This too shall pass, and much like the phoenix, we shall rise again!

HAIL!!

Posted by: httr20081 | September 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Bobby Mitchell as GM....he could be our version of Ozzie Newsome

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | September 28, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"he's not Terry Allen, Stephen Davis or even Timmy Smith for petes sake...."

Dude, you are reaching with the Timmy Smith stuff.

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The Patriots beat a team by 30 points and the coaches and players make mention of all the things they need to do to get better.

The Redskins lose to the worst team in NFL history and Cooley responds with, "We're fine."

And their you have it.

Posted by: bseargent | September 28, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

htr: "Flacco is a immediate success, Roth in Pittsburgh an immediate success, Stafford on his way to being an immediate success. Campbell is still struggling after 5 years;"

I don't know if it's much comfort, but the QBs you mention, though currently successful, will almost certainly struggle during the season. Despite the titles, Roethlisberger has a history that rivals the most inconsistent QBs of the past decade. Flacco is hot at the moment but really flagged at the end of last season, when he was asked to carry more of the load for his team. Stafford has an impressive arm but even in college blew hot and cold. Detroit picked him over Sanchez largely because they thought he could get the ball deep to Calvin Johnson (who will be the NFL's best receiver at some point in the near future). In nearly every other measure, Sanchez is a better QB prospect.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Stafford performed well yesterday because the Skins didn't get consistent pressure. If they had, a rook QB folds like a Kleenex. So why didn't they?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the biggest problem with the Skins is that they are soft. It's like we are fielding the cheerleaders instead of professional football players. No one on the team (except CP and Fletcher...and haynesworth) comes out with any fire. CP sacrifices his body to try and dive into the endzone and no one gets excited. Fletcher runs all over the field putting hits on people and the D still plays soft. Haynesworth punks two O-lineman to sack the QB and the D is still flat.

We need a coach like Mike Singletary. Makes these pansies run hills and hit people. No way Heyer's marshmallow ass starts for singletary.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Friends, Washingtonians, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Zorn, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones,
So let it be with Zorn... The noble Cooley
Hath told you Zorn was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Zorn answered it ...
Here, under leave of Cooley and the rest,
(For Cooley is an honorable man;
So are they all; all honorable men)
Come I to speak in Zorn's funeral ...
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Cooley says he was ambitious;
And Cooley is an honorable man….
He hath brought many wins home to Washington,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Zorn seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Zorn hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Cooley says he was ambitious;
And Cooley is an honorable man.
You all did see that at Ford Field
I thrice presented him a MVP award,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Cooley says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honorable man.
I speak not to disprove what Cooley spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason…. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Zorn,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell here. Wanted to post some information for you all to check out.

You may have seen how upset I was on my Comcast show, and to share with my fans so they can get my insider views, I am starting up a conference service every week for my fans to participate. This is a FREE CALL.
This week will be on Tuesday, Sept 29th at 1:00 pm and then weekly on Mondays and Fridays at 1:00pm
The number to call is 712-432-8220 and enter show ID 5154 for interactive discussions with me. You can e-mail your questions to bmitch@comvl.com
prior and during the show. Talk to you more then. Thanks

Posted by: brianmitchell | September 28, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If cooley is fine with what happened, then maybe we need to blow this team up and trade him someplace awaful, let's see who needs a tight end.... oh yeah, we could trade him to Detroit LOLz

Posted by: Veretax | September 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

For all the people bashing Jason Campbell I must ask who are u watching? he is no longer our problem the guy is completing 69% of his passes almost 800 yards with a rating of 92.5%,he has a better rating then Big Ben,Rivers,Romo,Brady,Warner oh yeah and the 2 QB's the FO wanted Cutler and Sanchez.Our problem is Blache's scheme our back 4 except Horton and the running game(Portis mostly)and the play calling and mostly the Owner and VP of operations.Please lay off Campbell let's support our QB who is playing his tail off but doesn't have the supporting cast of the so called "Franchise QB's" in the NFL. Blache and Jerry Gray need to be on the hot seat not Jim Zorn it takes 2 full season's for the WCO to blossom into what we see the Eagles run now and the Seahawks of seasons pass!!!!

Posted by: robbkels | September 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed in Cooley!! He seems to not even care about how bad they played...and he didn't do anything in the game yesterday..what happened??? He's a great player but doesn't seem to have much fire or any leadership qualities to get the team going on days like yesterday when the team needed it!! Something is wrong, either the players or the coaching......something needs to change!!!

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | September 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The whole organization is a mess. Blow the entire thing up and start over.

Perhaps a reason anyone is Redskins jersey plays soft is because they've already been paid. It's hard to work up any enthusiasm for a physical job when you've been paid upfront.

Posted by: tundey | September 28, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY!

Replace him with a real GM who wouldn't flunk out of 9th grade. Let THAT guy decide what to do with the coaching staff.

Posted by: drischord | September 28, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn jumping up and down on the sideline should really instill confidence in him on the part of the players. What a buffoon. He has to go. Fire Zorn now and avoid the October rush.

Posted by: chopin224 | September 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse