Cooley placed on IR (updated)

The Redskins made it official, putting Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley on the season-ending injured-reserve list today because of a lower-leg injury he suffered in Week 7 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Earlier in the day, Coach Jim Zorn said he planned to put Cooley on the list after he had a conversation with the six-year veteran. That conversation recently took place and Cooley's season is over.

Zorn had expressed hope about Cooley returning to play in the season's final month. But team physicians last week determined Cooley needed to be in a walking boot longer, and with the length of the rehab process after the boot is taken off, it has been clear for some time that Cooley probably had played his last game in 2009.

Cooley finished with 29 receptions for 332 yards and two touchdowns. Second-year tight end Fred Davis has shown encouraging signs recently starting in place of Cooley, and he is thankful for the help and advice Cooley continues to provide.

"It's definitely a big loss to lose a guy like Chris Cooley, he's one of the best guys at our position in the game," Davis said. "I'm just out there trying to step up for the team and do what I can do to help us move the ball.

"It would be great if we could be in there together, but you knew there was a chance he would [miss the remainder of the season] when you saw him get hurt. It's just up to all the guys to keep trying to pick up the slack for the rest of the year."

To fill the roster spots vacated by Cooley and Jeremy Jarmon (who earlier today went on IR with a torn anterior cruciate ligament), the Redskins signed linebacker Alvin Bowen and defensive end Rob Jackson from the practice squad.

By Jason Reid  |  November 30, 2009; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Proceeding cautiously, Redskins want Portis back
Next: Davis frustrated by Cooley injury, losses

Comments

1st time Zorn actually decidered something.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

2nd string TE, "Touchdown Todd" Yoder

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

3rd win of the season might be the last win

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor...you guessed it. Bama!

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

5th of Remy...coming my way!

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

6th stringers outplaying starters

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

The Redskins now have 10 players on injured reserve.

To take Cooley's place on the roster, defensive end Rob Jackson was elevated from the practice squad. Jackson could be line for playing time with DE Jeremy Jarmon (knee) also on IR.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

7th player on IR...Cooley

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

4-12 (and it looks like you might be right!)... the stuff is called RITALIN!!

lmao...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 30, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of RB's, I'm starting to become a big fan of ole boy from West Virginia: Noel Devine. Guessing at this point, I think he could be had in the 4th round perhaps. Lot's of speedy big play backs could be coming out this yr.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 30, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I've grown to hate the way JZ says things.

"I'm thinking in that direction,"

What?

"I want to work out in my mind the right way to do it."

Huh? Is there a "wrong" way to put Cooley on IR? Or were you going to work it out in someone else's mind?

I don't know why, but I find it incredibly irritating.

Posted by: p1funk | November 30, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Gerhart for Heisman...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

No need Dik. I'm calm, cool, and col....oooh, look, a winged unicorn!

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 30, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Watching Chris Johnson's 85-yard TD run where he just out-sprinted the all the Arizona DBs down the sideline made me envious...

Posted by: p1funk | November 30, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of RB's, I'm starting to become a big fan of ole boy from West Virginia: Devine. Guessing at this point, I think he could be had in the 4th round perhaps. Lot's of speedy big play backs could be coming out this yr.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 30, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

O definitely, Joe McKnight, Brandon James, Michael Smith, Noel Devine or LaMarcus Coker could be available in the 4th round and they all have 4.3 speed. Some of them are undersized but so is Darren Sproles. There are also a bunch of power backs that should be available in the 4-5th rounds. Charles Scott, Toby Gerhart, Anthony Dixon, and LeGarrette Blount could still be available.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

3rd win of the season might be the last win

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 3:06 PM

Making your bottom-dwelling screen name a lie again this year. That's okay. I'm not really much of a League Source and was a bust as a Talent Evaluator.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'h only hoping for two more wins this season....New Orleans(if they're undefeated at the time) and Dallas(of course). The rest of the season off could be good for Cooley's career long term. Davis is looking good filling in so maybe we can geta a good pick/player in a trade for one of them with Yoder still in the wings.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 30, 2009 3:20 PM |

Me too! Hell, I'd be happy if I could out-sprint you, Cork, and daggar down the sideline.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

this should have happened the Monday after the injury.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 30, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Portis return after saints, though it makes no sense to jreid, would make sense because:
1) he has pride
2) he's under contract and it's his job
3) although playoff hopes gone, it's still 25% of the season
4) jreid would call him lazy and uninspired if he didn't return
5) when reviewing portis' season 7,843 times between this year and next, when jreid inserts the clause after each mention of his name (as in "Portis, who missed the final 7 games of the season due to concussion symptoms despite other NFL players with similar injuries returning in 2-4 weeks,...", mr Reid will have to come up with a more creative dig at 26.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Trying to figure out how much CP being benched is because the spotlight on NFL and concussions and how much is the recognition that the team is in a different (albeit still losing) place right now and they don't want to mess with the 'rhythm' of playing hard in losses.

I say keep him benched let him get healthy and send him the message that his job is on the line so he'd best show a little some'im some'im in the off season.

I vote we beat Dallas and make 4-12 king of the blog.

Posted by: sfskin | November 30, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

League-Source,
I read your comments on the other string and get your point, but do we really know how much cap room the Redskins have left? When they signed Levi, they kept his contract details quiet, so I am not sure how much money they have left to spend.

If they have the money, here's another player for them to sign: Robbie Agnone. He still sits on the New England developmental roster so Washington would have to cut someone in order to sign him. May I recommend Renaldo Wynn?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

1) he has pride
2) he's under contract and it's his job
3) although playoff hopes gone, it's still 25% of the season
4) jreid would call him lazy and uninspired if he didn't return
5) when reviewing portis' season 7,843 times between this year and next, when
Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009

My gawd, what fools these bloggers be? PORTOISE makes more money than any RUNNING BACK in the NFL. More than any RB in history? So, what that ostensibly says is that Portis should be:

1. The consummate team player. He is not.
2. Consistently lead his offense and team to the playoffs. He has never done that.
3. He should be able to come out of the backfield and catch passes the way Rock, Betts, and say Westbrook and company do? He does not.

Portoise is a rip-off artist. Plain and simple.

Posted by: periculum | November 30, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

CLINTON PORTIS, YOU SUCK!!! STAY HOME!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | November 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

1) he has pride
2) he's under contract and it's his job
3) although playoff hopes gone, it's still 25% of the season
4) jreid would call him lazy and uninspired if he didn't return

Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Whoa...why so defensive of Portis?

Before I get into it, I know he's been a really good player here for a good number of years, taken a ton of hits, carried the ball alot, etc. No argument there.

But the guy has also thrown his HC under the bus publicly, thrown his offensive line under the bus publicly, gotten into a petty argument with BMitch on the radio, gotten into a spat with Sellers, etc. Not to mention rarely practicing, and showing up out of shape this season.

I get JReid probably has had a run in with Portis or some negative series of exchanges with CP, doesn't really care for him, and thus rags on him a bit on the blog. He shouldn't do that, but he's human, so I understand, but don't condone. As for Portis, you get a pass with all the antics until you can't cut it anymore, as is the case with any prima donna athlete. Say / Do what you want, just perform on the field, no problems. But the act gets tired when you stop putting up numbers on Sunday...

Posted by: mattylight | November 30, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone want to go to the Saints game? I got 2 tickets and a parking pass? I wont be able to attend.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

well said matty, well said.

I'm glad Rob Jackson is back, I liked him and was sad when the cut him, I hope he gets some time because he and Jarmon could and should be the guys at the DE position opposite Carter next year when Daniels and Wynn are gone.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

If they're free sure, won't pay a dime to support Snyder whilst Vinny is still gainfully employed by the Redskins.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 30, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I already paid that dime and then some to support Snyder, so you dont have to. If anyone would like to contribute to the gatorskinz fund for oh say $72 dollars. I would part with them. Thats 2 tickets at the face value of 1 + free parking pass. I can have them in the mail by tomorrow.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Matty, I pretty much agree with what you said. My problem is more the one sided opinions we get of him.

As for his contract, I wish he wasn't overpaid too, but I blame that on Snyderrato, not CP.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So who do you add to the practice squad now? Dallas Sartz is available.

On the other hand, Cody Glenn may be the first of Vinnie's draft picks to taste playoff victory. For Indy.

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Rob Jackson is back, I liked him and was sad when the cut him,

Silver-linings ... they did give up on him way too quickly.

Posted by: periculum | November 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Snyders secretary just made a reservation for Snyder and Charlie Weis at Mortons tomorrow night.

Posted by: GintheAtl | November 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the Saints game, anyone want to bet how much Greg Williams would like to embarass Dan and Vinny by decimating their offense? I am betting he had this date circled on his calendar since the schedule came out...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, same here. I also get that JReid likes Rock, Fletcher, seems to give Zorn a pass, dislikes CP, Vinny and Snyder, rags a bit on the triplets, etc. You're not the only one that sees that, and I tend to roll my eyes whenever we see a thread that contains something like "Portis, who some within the organization say is not in good shape..." or "In offseason meetings, the staff determined the faltering offensive line was to blame for the 2008 collapse, but Cerrato did little in the offeason to address it..."

What can you do though, I guess...?

Posted by: mattylight | November 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

1. The consummate team player. He is not.

Portoise is a rip-off artist. Plain and simple.
Posted by: periculum

I think that's an unfair statement. You don't become known and respected as the best blocking RB in the league without understanding its importance to the team. And yes, I understand there are the rumored practice habits.

The best RB in the league, Adrian Peterson, hasn't consistently led his team to the playoffs. Is he a fraud?

CP does catch the ball. To say he has to be Westbrook isn't fair because few are. I haven't seen Westbrook put up CP rushing yards or carries in a season either.

Is he closer to the end, yes. I believe he has two years left but we seem to forget that he's carried this offense since he arrived.

Posted by: dcwun | November 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

periculum do you think any back in the league could have consistently led the Skins to the playoffs with their o-line.

Even your hero Riggo wouldn't have accomplished much running behind this o-line.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

But the guy has also thrown his HC under the bus publicly, thrown his offensive line under the bus publicly, gotten into a petty argument with BMitch on the radio, gotten into a spat with Sellers, etc."

Posted by: mattylight

It was Zorn who threw him under the bus first and NEVER accepted responsibility for the teams poor play. If it was anyone else who called out the line or Sellers, folks would've been saying good and they deserved it, finally, etc.

Honestly, was CP wrong about the line or Sellers? Hell no!

Posted by: dcwun | November 30, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Why not dump all the guys on the roster that won't be on the team next year (R. Wynn etc..) and steal players from other teams practice squads? Kind of like a draft with no draft picks.

Posted by: 3rings | November 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 3rings | November 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 3rings | November 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 30, 2009 4:10 PM

so it's his fault then?

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 30, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"It's definitely a big loss to lose a guy like Chris Cooley, he's one of the best guys at our position in the game," Davis said. JR: You're slipping. That should be a period or semicolon between "Cooley" and "he's" -- you do know what a comma splice is, right?

Posted by: chris_zz | November 30, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye to Cooley High! Can I buy his paintings @ Walmart?

Posted by: dmlopez1 | November 30, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse