Cooley, Redskins Seeking Answers (Updated)

Tight end Chris Cooley kind of went off on me after Sunday's victory over the St. Louis Rams.

By the time I made it over to his dressing stall at FedEx Field, Cooley had answered many questions about the team's red-zone problems, and then I rushed in at the end of the group session and asked about the team's problems moving the ball.

It was a poorly worded question. I meant the team's inability to move the ball once they got inside the 20, and, well, I understood why Cooley was upset. In the 9-7 victory, the Redskins failed to score a touchdown despite four trips into the red zone, getting three short field goals from place kicker Shaun Suisham. Obviously, Cooley knew what I was getting at, but many of the players are tired of the subject.

We cleared the air after the group session ended, and I went back at Cooley privately a few minutes ago to get his thoughts on the Redskins' red zone inefficiency.

"It's back to our problem of last year: Where's the extra confidence that we are going to start scoring points?" Cooley said. "That teams are not going to stop us from getting into the end zone. It's not that we can't. It's not that we don't show what we can do.

"It's just that extra over the ... I don't know. I've never been a part of a team like this that's had such a tough time scoring touchdowns."

Coach Jim Zorn has come under fire from some fans and members of the media for his play-calling since the second half of the 2008 season. The Redskins lack a home run threat at running back and there were major concerns along the offensive line before starting right guard Randy Thomas suffered a season-ending triceps injury early in the 9-7 victory over the Rams.

So is the issue Zorn's modified West Coast scheme, play-calling, the Redskins' personnel or all of the above?

"Obviously, it's a combination of everything right now," Cooley said. "But no one is
answering the questions because it's just not happening. I have no problem with the way Jim called the plays down there.

"I know it didn't work, but I don't know what happens. I just don't know. That's the fortunate thing, why I'm just playing and not coaching."

()()()

Rick Maese tweets from Zorn's presser:

JZorn on play-calling: happy with red zone calls..."I'm gonna go back, study it more and I'm going to be hard on myself as well"

JCampbell could be a bit limited in practice. Foot is bit swollen. More of a foot sprain than ankle

By Jason Reid  |  September 21, 2009; 12:36 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Sees Some Encouraging Signs
Next: Redskins Begin to Try to Replace R. Thomas

Comments

SUCKAS!!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

gringoinmiami,
I don't think Campbell is an elite QB, but I think the Redskins could win with him. They need to put him in the right situations. I think putting him in a no-huddle shotgun offense was a good move yesterday and they should try more of that. He used his legs very well and they should continue to give him free reign to pull it down and run it. I read that Zorn said Campbell did not have the option to audible in the red zone. This just sounds wrong to me. You have to give the QB a little discretion in the red zone.

I am not a Campbell fan. I don't think he's a great leader in the huddle, he holds onto the ball too long, he's got a long windup, yadda, yadda, yadda... but the Redskins could win with him if they molded the offense to fit. AND Zorn cannot exactly come forward after defending Campbell the entire offseason and say he was wrong about that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

So, in summary, it's safe to say that Cooley isn't really searching for answers.

What a misleading title!

Posted by: daggar | September 21, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn, for real, lost this team at some point during the 2nd half slide last year. His refusal to take accountability and arrogance are the main reasons I think he's lost the players.
Posted by: RedDMV
----------------------------------------
Red, you may have seen something I didn't, but I really don't think Zorn is arrogant. I think he is not very smart and too laid back. His press conferences last year were so bad I stopped watching them.

Looking at the bright side, we have a lot of strengths on this team and our Defense is one of the best in the league. Next year I expect we will have a new head coach, a new QB, and figure out how to move the ball.

Shanahan would be a dream come true at this point.

Posted by: isnadd | September 21, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Curious as to who is gonna start at RG this sunday....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If Danny Smith had actually had to pull Zorn to the ground to prevent that mis-timed Time Out, would he have gotten credit for a special teams tackle?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It is due everyone and the mother knowing we are going to run CP to the left on first down.

Posted by: jm220 | September 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV
----------------------------------------

Shanahan would be a dream come true at this point.

Posted by: isnadd | September 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"I don't believe they moved the ball "up and down" the field "throughout" the Giants game. I respect your knowledge but you tend to exaggerate a bit to make a point which weakens your argument. You're satisfied with the passing game and the QB play? Are you talking big step forward or small steps? JC actually looks better to you? He looks the same to me.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

Alright, I misspoke there. In the Giants game it didn't come throughout, but that was largely because of the lack of possessions held by the offense, as well as the playcalling. Even before his final drive against the Giants, which all of his detractors are claiming padded his stats, he was still connecting on 70% of his passes for 7.75 YPA. The lack of ball movement through the air early in the game was heavily affected by the fact that Campbell didn't have his first traditional drop back until 5 minutes were gone in the second quarter. He only had one attempt in the first, and it was a designed screen pass to Cooley.

I am very satisfied with the passing game between the 20s. By far the weakest point in Campbell's game last season were YPA and the zone between the half line and the redzone in the opponents territory. Those two issues have largely improved.

But I did say red zone efficiency as a whole looks really bad. And it does. Part of that is on Campbell, but a lot of what he's doing is correct. The issue 'plaguing' Campbell in the red zone is the same issue that plagued Campbell in the first quarter of the Giants game -- lack of opportunity provided to him by the head coach. He had 4 attempts in the red zone last game -- on 5 possessions. Four pass attempts -- and 2 of them were drops. It's tough for Campbell to put it in the endzone when the play call on two consecutive red zone drives looked like this: Portis run, Portis run, Portis pass, FG, Betts run, Betts run, Portis run, Portis run.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

BRING BACK GIBBS 3.0!!!!

LINE STARTS HERE....

Gibbs 2.0 did a better offensive job PRE-Saunders...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually, quick survey question... When was the last time you consistently had fun actually watching a Redskins game?

I was trying to come up with an answer, but one didn't come quickly to mind. The playoff run at the end of Gibbs 2.0 was a possibility, but in the aftermath of ST21 (RIP), "fun" wasn't quite the word to use.

I think I'd have to go back to the first play-off run of Gibbs 2.0 with that sole playoff win...

Mark Rypien was a long time ago, wasn't he?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde

LMAO

Posted by: jm220 | September 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

This is great stuff from the Mayor. THIS is what we need more of on this here bloggy device.

I'm not happy with the content -- I wish Cooley were complaining that he dropped what would have been his third TD yesterday in the course of a 49-7 win -- but I love the truly inside insider stuff.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 21, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

isnadd, stubbornness breeds arrogance. They are one in the same.

He's stubborn to the fact that his system is what's best for the team. A good coach would work with what's in place already.

See the second paragraph of RedSkinHead's 12:49 on this thread.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

JRyde - The last couple of Norv years were watchable....

Just sayin...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Maybe its because we run left every time we get down there and that our big receiving threats are on the bench!!!! Moss has proven he is dynamic in space and adjusts to a long ball as good as anyone but Steve Smith. He has also proved can't carry this offense and is non-existent in the red zone. ARE is an afterthought as well. A package of Davis, Cooley, MK12, and Marko or DT would at least make legitimate threats on the field. Right now its single moss, single ARE because they don't have the space they need for their speed to matter, double cooley and watch the run left.....that's not that complicated.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 21, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

*and the same

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If Cooley doesn't know what the problem is...one hopes the coaches do.

One hopes.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 21, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, IMO, and LMAO, JK, LOL, LMAO!!!!

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 21, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

When a star running back has the owner's ear...more so than the coach...that's a problem.

This whole team was set up to have no accountability. Where the blame lies (in Snyder and Vinny), they have fall guys in place while they refuse to take any responsibility for failures.

I don't blame Zorn for any of this. The only reason he's the head coach is that no one else wanted the job. I really don't think Cowher would want to come here. Shanahan wouldn't be that much better than Norv. No good coach will come here, and Vinny and Snyder are too stupid to hire someone that can take control of this franchise.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Which reminds me to ask... Is there a Roughing The Coach penalty?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is losing the team week by week. Detroit is scary for me, the mental aspect of this team psyche is so fragial now, that a team Redskins are a team ripe for the pickings for Lions to beat.

Posted by: clark202 | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

QB draw - Campbell can run. Romo - ehem - got into the end zone last night with one.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@isnadd - I agree that he is laid back and his press conferences are very boring but it was and is his style with that media that is part of the problem. Though I tend to believe like the other poster that he lost this team sometime between the Rams and Pittsburgh game last year, it came from his approach ether calculated or not of blasting players for mistakes they made and not taking much blame on himself. For all the mistakes Gibbs made in his second stint as head coach the one thing he never did was openly criticize his players. Once Zorn started letting in the WaPo and the rest of the local and national media outlets into the internal struggles of this team, I think many players tuned him out. His ability to hang mistakes even if they were justified on someone in public and not on himself put him at a distance with the team. Couple that with a QB not suited to play in this offense, the utter lack of consistency on personnel moves from the front office and in my opinion his hiring as simply another in a line of yes men at the head coaching position and you have a recipe for a team that can't put away a god awful Rams team.

Posted by: The_Spear | September 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2009 12:53 PM

Why is that the case? Zorn is a QB coach who played the position. He's credited with raising the level of Hasselbeck's play. He sees JC everyday in practice. Have you ever considered that may play a part in how he calls a game, particularly in the redzone?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

clark, can you back up that claim??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Santana's fumble was our only turnover. If we only turn the ball over once per game, we're fine. It happens. We MIGHT have gotten another FG out of that drive.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

That turnover was right before half at the 2:44 mark 30 yards out from scoring. I would say that was all Zorns fault as well using your rational, and that is crazy.

So the difference between the field goals and touchdowns is 8 pts, plus a minimum of 3 pts lost due the fumble is 11 pts.

So we left 11 pts on the field.

Would you still be upset with a 20-7 victory? Those 11 pts are on the players, not the coaches. At least that is how I see it, we obviously view it differently.
Players are paid to perform, and here are 3 distinct plays that the PLAYERS F'D up and cost us 11pts. Not the Coaches.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Mark Rypien was a long time ago, wasn't he?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think I really enjoyed watching the Saints-Cardinals-Cowboys-Eagles stretch last year.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@JohnnyRyde - If would have to be the '05 Cowboys game at FedEx, maybe the '06 Jags or '06 Cowboys games, but with the way that season played out I will stick with my first answer.

Posted by: The_Spear | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan, Holmgren, Cowher, all these big names want to be both GM + head coach.

Show me where this has worked.

Then tell me why this will work in the NFC East, where 8-8 is a disappointment and 13-3 is virtually unattainable.

Posted by: daggar | September 21, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

OK...I don't usually comment but after the last 17 years of torturous Sunday's I can't take it anymore. The play calling was bad. A few examples and solutions;

1. On the 4th and 1 we called a play that requires our lineman to stand up and run sideways. What is that??? Two alternative plays; a) Get Dock, Samuels, Rabach and Sellers churning feet forward for Portis. Guaranteed 1 yard and a first down. Keep in mind we only needed one yard, not the touchdown. b) Have Campbell's lanky body push forward on a QB sneak. We needed something moving forward, not sideways.
2. CP's half back option around the 10. First of all let your quarterback throw the ball. On those 3 "& goal" downs we did not give Campbell one throw to the end zone. Solution inside the ten...Get Campbell throwing quick routes like a slant or a fade. The ball should be out if his hand in 2 seconds and let his receivers make a play. I am not sure whether this is Campbell indecisiveness or the play call.

I hope that some of these things occur while watching film. It is easy for me to watch and criticize but some of this stuff seems simple.

Posted by: cchoughton | September 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Blache will terrorize rookie Stafford all day long, but Zorn is looking .500 at best right now, not sure if they'll beat the perenially beatable Lions with Best Team Danny Can Buy.. (shaking fist) TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!! TOUCHDOWNS NOW!!

Posted by: frak | September 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Rick Maese tweets from Zorn's presser:

WTF!!! How can he be happy with that sht he called?

Posted by: jm220 | September 21, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Other teams drop passes and fumble, but they still score TDs.
Zorn must go.

Posted by: jmy999 | September 21, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

jm, the plays he called would have resulted in 2 td's had sellers/thomas not dropped the passes, so how is that on him?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"Have you ever considered that may play a part in how he calls a game, particularly in the redzone?

Posted by: learnedhand1"

I have considered it. I don't buy it, but I have considered it. I think it's more likely that he comes from the school of Holmgren - Seattle, where Shaun Alexander could run behind Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson at will in the red zone, and when he sees Clinton Portis behind Chris Samuels and Derrick Dockery, he thinks the same.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

One comment from me on the whole booing thing. I think a lot of fans have become very skeptical and gotten to the point where they're looking for an excuse to complain.

For example, the dude sitting next to me at the game yesterday. There was a run play where Campbell did a quick pump fake and then gave it to CP on a draw. Immediately this guy next to me says "Oh yeah, like that fooled anyone". How many yards did CP get on the play? 8. He was just looking for an excuse to complain.

The real annoying part though was that this guy, along with many others in the stadium, were very quick to boo. And whether they should have been booing the offense or not is debatable, but the problem I had was that while he was quick to boo and voice his displeasure, he never actually showed his support. During the 4th quarter, when the Skins D needed fans to get loud, this dude wasn't even watching the game but instead was scrolling around on his blackberry.

Too many people are too quick to complain while ignoring anything even slightly positive.

And, for the record, I thought that booing the offense as they were kneeling down to win the game was classless. A big "W" was going up for the Skins, yet people were booing them and throwing stuff at them. Wonderful...

Posted by: -swb | September 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"The only reason he's the head coach is that no one else wanted the job."

Gregg Williams????

And also people no siht it was my opinion that Zorn might be losing the team, based on listening to players talk, watching the sidelines, seeing the play and yes my own conjecture. DUH!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

JZorn on play-calling: happy with red zone calls...

And this is my biggest problem with Jim Zorn. He never sees problems with the play calls only the execution.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Last time I had fun throughout a Redskins game was against San Fran 3 years ago. They beat them 52 to 7 and were in control of every play.

Posted by: cchoughton | September 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The fans were booing because they're coming face to face with a hard reality.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 21, 2009 1:02 PM |

Then Zorn is short sighted as are many on this blog. You have to try to score using all resources otherwise other teams will always be at an advantage because of your tendencies. Not having a more balanced play call sheet in the red zone is going to get Zorn fired. What they are doing now isn't working. Beyond that, more importantly, the data doesn't support that JC throws a lot of interceptions in general. In fact the data shows that Campbell has one of the better completion to interception ratio in the game which may mean he is too conservative with his decision making, and more likely throw the ball away than force it coverage in the red zone.

Posted by: TWISI | September 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@daggar - Even though it has never been effective, I would take a football guy like Bill Cowher over the system they have now. If hiring any of the three you mentioned means that Vinnie is out of the way or even fired, that would be a positive step for this franchise.

Posted by: The_Spear | September 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Redskins were great that November afternoon in '05 when they smashed the Cowboys at FedEx.

And the fans were hyped for that game, in the middle of a run to qualify for the playoffs, beating the hated Cowboys...

Fans had faith in that team. FedEx was ROCKIN' that day. We as fans had something to believe in.

'05 was a long time ago.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Boswell's piece today is actually very good. This team has a mediocre offense, no matter how hard the fans wnat it to be great.

What does it all mean? Well if you are a leader of this team, as any other organization, the problem needs to be addressed from the top down. So Mr. Snyder, should ask himself, as would a Warren Buffet, or steve Jobs, or Bill Gate, what can I do better?

Mr. Snyder will realize that his choice of GM, whether a nice guy or a friend, has not done a good personnel job for him. His Head Coach, while a nice man, has not done a great job preparing this team. Yes, we do not expect miracles, but we expect a full effort and when it fails, a solution.

Now, I understand that the answer is not always fire everyone and start fresh. But the answer may come after a thorough review, including a review of the reviewers! Assuming that Mr. Snyder will continue to own this team, he needs to start with his own circle and do quality improvement.

As far as a "Jason Campbell" is concerned, he needs to play better, period. Everyone can out perform their scheme and their surroundings. He needs to find out why he cannot find/reach an open receiver and make it happen. Eli Manning, you can just see, sometimes amkes plays of his own, he has a "will" to get the ball to somebody. JC shouldn't just be afraid of interceptions. That is cowardly stuff. He needs to play to win.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 21, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Note to coach Zorn,

Even though you want to keep a positive environment for your team to be successful, by not clearly acknowledging deficiencies, you lower the standards for the players.

The head coach needs to come out after the game and hold players and himself accountable for clear mistakes. Let others give you a break.

It is quite simple really. You cannot do spin and damage control in the NFL. You are better off coming out and take blame for your mistakes and blame others for their mistakes. If you can solve those problems, you'll stay, if not, you are out. Doesn't matter how much you sugar coat it!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 21, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan would be a dream come true at this point.

Posted by: isnadd

Yes, the rest of the NFC east would be delighted if the skins got him. More West coast offense. More stretch plays. More undersized Olinemen.

Great coach, wrong conference.

Posted by: TheCork | September 21, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

i think redskins has to change the quarterback. comparing him with other qb's especially the rookies, he does not have the decision-making capabilities. i understand that the coach designs the plays and call them, but it's the players especially the qb who has to execute them. jason does not know how to throw a touchdown pass. he seems scared and afraid to take a risk.

Posted by: capsfan2007 | September 21, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Campbell, if coach don't call plays for him in the red zone, what can he do?

In the 4th red zone offense, Redskins ran 3 running plays (include the 4th down run which failed to gain 1st down), and a running back pass(?!). Apparently, Zorn does not trust his quarterback, and does not want him to throw the ball.

Of course, you can blame that on the failure of 3 previous tries in the red zone, but receivers dropped the ball twice (once by Sellers and once by Thomas).

And BTW, what did Zorn say about that 4th down try? He saw Rams loaded up on that side but didn't want to change the call for fear of something might screw up in the confusion? Why not call a timeout then, since Skins still had one left? (Betts ran out of bound on the previous play, so calling timeout would not affect the clock either.)

Posted by: sagaliba | September 21, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Zorn might be playing it safe when it comes to attitudes and pointing the finger...not a great rep to have if he wants to find employment elsewhere when Danny lets him go. Better to have a good rep.

Posted by: babobeach | September 21, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

note to coach zorn:

you are the coach, so you have the right to bench players who are not performing well and put those who you think will help the team win. bench campbell, portis and devin thomas. use todd collins, mason and marko mitchell instead. think about the team. your decisions might be unpopular but if you get a win it might be a wise decision.

Posted by: capsfan2007 | September 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

It's scary to think that after 2 weeks of Redskins football Hunter Smith is tied for most TD scores on the team! That is just plain brutal. To be honest I think the most maddening thing is that we do move the ball well between the 20s and then just get one massive brain fart once we are inside the 20. The running games gets way too vanilla and there is definitely a lack of confidence there.

That being said D. Thomas and M. Sellers did drop 2 passes that should have gone for TDs. Not sure you can put those two drives on the head coach but at the same time I do think Zorn really needs to look at his play calling in the red zone and come up with some better consistent play calls.

I am not ready to give up the season at this point, but going to need my heart medication as the season progresses b/c I just don't see us beating anyone by more than single digits the rest of the way.

Posted by: dwninit71 | September 21, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

While we grow increasingly tired of Jason Campbell's habit of deflecting guilt to others, and try to understand some other people's interests in digging deep for some positive news in this otherwise dismal performance -- I can only vomit when Coach Zorn suggests that the offensive line's efforts to "protect Jason" stood out as one of the highlights of Sunday's play.

We should remember that this coach was a dismal quarterback in his own right -- and now appears to have an unhealthy tolerance for his quarterback's sustained rotten performance. (Like father, like son?)

It shows once again that while Zorn might have something to offer as a quarterbacks coach, he will never, ever be true head coaching material -- if only because he refuses to make the tough decisions like benching Campbell and getting someone -- anyone -- out there who can make some plays and score some points.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the play-action bootleg to Cooley??

Posted by: wescaddle1 | September 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout hiring Gruden?

Posted by: wescaddle1 | September 21, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Week 3..please throw the ball to M. Kelly - M. Mitchell - D. Thomas....what is Zorn waiting for?

Posted by: kdofour2000 | September 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV:

That's exactly what is wrong right now. We remember individual games, such as both dallas games in '05, or a game or two in '06, or some other bright points. There are about 5 or 6 games total in the last 4 or 5 seasons that we remember. Back during Gibbs first term we remembered whole seasons. The '91 season was probably the greatest season in Redskins history. Of course, that was a long time ago, too.

Those days are gone.

Snyder has ruined it for us.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 21, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

how can some of us say that the two dropped passes should have been tds, and at the same time attack the coach for his play calling (vs. a few play calls). those were 2 examples of good play calls and poor execution by players, one of whom (sellars) just got an extension and 600k raise. i didn't like the rb pass, but i think it was set up and the pass was a step too far for cooley. players need to execute. zorn is putting them in the right places (this past sunday, not including the 4th and 1/2yd no qb sneak)

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

clark, can you back up that claim??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse
===========================================
Yeah, the postgame interviews from a lot of the players yesterday centered around questioning themselves or the playcalling. Also for the first time, I heard instances of people placing blame on specific players or plays. Thats a slippery slope. You air the dirty laundry privately. I've seen far far worse than yesterday, but this is how it starts. And this is the kind of attitude you don't want a team to have, going into a situation against a team like the Lions are, who are desperate and hungry for win.

Posted by: clark202 | September 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Post game comments at watering hole full of Skins fans:

Will Cowher go for Snyder's dollars or the lack of owner meddling in Carolina?

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of Offensive systems. West Coast Offense, Al Saunders' Offense, Norv Turner's Offense, Steve Spurrier's Chuck and Duck...

What is wrong with drawing up some plays for your team and practicing them?

I admit, now is not the time for this, but going back to the offseason, you'd think this would have gotten done.

In my opinion, it's never too late. Add a few plays that utilize the strengths of the players.

We don't have Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, John Taylor, and Dwight Clark. Just like we never had Aikman, Irvin, Novacek, Johnson, and E. Smith for Norv's Offense.

The success of the 1980s 49ers is killing the Redskins fans, as well as many other fan bases who have to watch some "system" forced on players who are not Hall of Famers.

Coaching, apparently, is dead. You can probably get "How to Install The West Coast Offense" on Amazon for about $54.99.

I think Zorn has the Cribb Notes. Or the "West Coast Offense for Dummies."

We need a book for the fans: "How to Appreciate Your Team's Destruction and Misuse of Personnel Through The West Coast Offense"

or

"Things To Do With Your Wife And Kids On Sundays - A Recovery Guide For Ex-Redskins Fans"

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 22, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse