Cooley Sidelined by Back Spasms (Updated)

Tight end Chris Cooley said he sat out the Redskins' morning practice today because of back spasms and expects to return to practice Thursday.

"I feel fine," he said. "Everything on my body feels fine; just a little muscle spasm on my lower back. A little sore this morning."

Cooley said he had a hard time "putting my socks on," but expressed confidence about playing Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field. "It'll going to calm down," Cooley said. "It's no big deal."

Clark Out with Sore Knee

Devin Clark left this morning's session with a sore knee. "I don't know what the diagnosis is right now," Coach Jim Zorn said. ... Today's afternoon session is for special teams only.

By Jason Reid  |  August 19, 2009; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis Determined to Keep Coaches' Trust
Next: Daniels Sits After Having Knee Drained

Comments

FIRST to say this offense is screwed without Cooley.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

d'arg! beeps!!

From last thred:

abxinc - you're ITA from the git-go. Follow the logic, a$$clown. Disagree all you want, but it's a valid point. There are TOnS of reasons why Zorn doesn't get the same rope JG did...

AND in case you missed it, I'm not calling for his head (I don't think anyone else did either), I'm saying the FO will dump him if he doesn't perform this year. Not exactly a contraversial opinion (anywhere else but this blog, I guess).

Are you advocating keeping him if he stinks up the joint again? Just askin' is all...
____________________________________

Back on topic:

I just tried to make a play before I got a good hold of the ball. I tried to make a first down, but you have to catch the ball before you go. That's what you have to do ugh... he's a second year pro and he needs to remember to catch the ball first?.... how about remembering to wear a helmet? dain bramage.

_________________________________

Cooley: I got a hell'uva Chinese pressure-point doctor. Fixed me up good after two car accidents. Also told me not to eat leafy green or asparagus... hmmm....

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

So lets see, Burley has a hurt knee, Clark has a sore knee, Heyer is injury prone, and Bridges has been dealing with an ankle issue since the scrimmage and Rhino has sufficiently proven he's a guard.....is there any freaking chance we could sign a tackle soon?????

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I like Carlos and I am rooting for him to do good, but like Jerry Gray says into this article, it's time to step up and hold onto a few of those balls....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If were playing a team like say the Browns maybe. Would you rather your corner have A. an int or B. have a debilitating, folding lawn chair type hit on their teams best playmaker say like a Josh Cribbs.
Im gonna go with B, lay off CR22 dropped int's are pass deflections that what DBs get paid for. Dhall has the ints covered now, Los is the punisher, one of the more respected tackling backs in the league.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I hate sleepy fred davis, PLEASE get better cooley. Sit him for a while lower back problems shouldnt be taken lightly this time of year they can linger.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I am on record for not being a big Zorn fan, but no way would be smart (wouldn't be pruuudent) to can him now or even after this season, unless its like a 2-14 stinker.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

CL, I respectfully disagree, if our offense is still stagnant to horrible, if the 2nd rounders don't progress, if JC still can only manage 13 TDs in a 16 game season and if we're still CP, Cooley, and Moss then I say regardless of the regard (barring a deep playoff run) Zorn would and should be fired. He was hired as an offensive guy with the big mandate to progress JC and make our O respectable finally. If after two seasons he can't get anything out of guys who were stars at major college programs and is unable to help a 5th year pro in his second full season in his system improve than that is a failed job of coaching.....IMO its playoffs or bust for Zorn.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

When the hell did zorn stink up the joint. The skins were 6 and 2 before injuries took its toll. Was it his fault for the injuries? I dont think so. Look what he got from gibbs. A bunch of senior citizens that are almost done with the league. What about portis. The only reason why he got so many yards is because zorn didnt have the personnel for his style of playing and handed the ball to portis a million times. His average rush wasnt that great and except for the first play of his redskin career never breaks a run

Posted by: mudman220 | August 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Is this Cooley's first missed practice as a Redskin? I know he had a streak going at this point last year. Would someone mind emailing J. Reid and find out, then post the answer here? (He does not respond to, nor acknowledge, my emails)

Posted by: Barno1 | August 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

ZJFR - who out there at tackle are we going to sign that is better than we have now? Haven't we already scoured the bottom of the barrel with BMW, Bridges, etc?

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

4th, it was pretty obvious he was disgruntled. I don't think anybody denied that.

And so far, the Redskins made the right decision. Kept Rogers, didn't deal him away, and made him an essential component to this defense.

Yep, holding on to the ball is about the only think Rogers needs to improve on. Everybody knows this. But other than that, he's an elite corner.

There was an article earlier this year from an analyst that watched every snap in the NFL with a focus on DBs, and ranked the top cornerbacks based on relevant statistics like attempts against, forced incompletions, yards per catch, TDs given up, INTs, etc. Carlos Rogers ranked 12th in the league according to his rankings, in front of other NFC East notables Asante Samuel, Terrence Newman, and Deangelo Hall, among others. Rogers is the real deal. Yes, he can improve his hands. But everything else is pristine.

Posted by: psps23

My mistake, he was actually ranked 8th in the NFL, fwiw.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

beeparoo...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Mud. The second half of last season smelled. From the bonehead plays (yes, I blame coaches for that), to the bonehead playcalling (who else would you blame for that?). If you're not ready for prime time, you're not. It doesn't make you a bad person for trying... it just makes you smelly.

In a way, you could argue that he inherited those first 6 wins from Gibbs...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

totally agree with you 4th

Posted by: jm220 | August 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

PSP - The article basically corrobarates (sp?) what I have been saying all along....Can CR22 focus this season while complaining about wanting to get paid. Can he put all that behind him? And will he be disappointed if his contract is dwarfed compared to DHall's? If it is, then he really would want out of here....

As to that article about the CBs, though he was high on that guy's list, he was also the most thrown at CB on that list. Hmmmm...I wonder why???? Maybe because he can't catch the ball and QBs aren't scarred of him?

Stu - From last post, I'll choose A.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mudman220 | August 19, 2009 11:21 AM

Injuries were a part of the collapse, but certainly not all of it. He did well early not just because the team was healthy, but because nobody knew what to expect from him as a playcaller or a coach. Once there was sufficient film on him and opponents were able to better gameplan him, he was done. He had no counter-adjustments and that was what cost this team every bit as much as the injuries.

Plus his back and forth with Portis didn't help.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

so its ok to have a bunch of old people work for six wins and then get worn out and hurt thanks mr. gibbs

Posted by: mudman220 | August 19, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

he had no counter adjustments because everyone got hurt

Posted by: mudman220 | August 19, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

How long are they going to beat Fred Davis up about Fumbling twice in Saturday's game? Give it a rest already! It was one Pre-Season Game... Was it frustrating? Heck Yes! But its better now then in November. Give him a chance to play a few more games...

I'm a big Cooley Fan, but I think he should be working on Upper Body Strength more... I've seen him get stripped too easily. His Lower Body Strength is awesome, which is why he breaks so many tackles, but he needs to polish up the Guns a bit... I'm sure it would also help with his blocking...

Posted by: EinVB | August 19, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM

Here is a more reasonable assessment, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Posted by: abxinc | August 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

if you want to blame anyone for the collapse its snyder and cerrato for picking someone with absolutely no head coaching or offensive coordinator experience.lets see if zorn learns from his 1 year of exp. but he should get 2 more years to prove himself

Posted by: mudman220 | August 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Um not Saturday's game... That was Thursday's game. My Bad!

Posted by: EinVB | August 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. In no way should Zorn be canned after this year... Give the man a chance. He's of a different breed. He's extremely detail oriented and thinks outside the box. What makes you think it was Zorn's inability to asjust last season?

What did he have to work with? Teams keyed on stopping Portis at the line, doubling Moss and Cooley on throwing downs... Our O-Line couldn't handle blitzes in Pass-Pro...

I'm not sure what Zorn is supposed to do when he didn't have the protection and weapons to execute the offense the way it should be. Let's hope this year is a different story!

Posted by: EinVB | August 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

check out kelli johnson's sitdown interview with chris COOOOOOOOLLLEYYY

Posted by: nattylite88 | August 19, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

The team is hurt in August?
Every one in the east has upgrade except the skins. Sure we got a big man and high profile LB but don't you feel it the Skins will STINK again this year!

Posted by: shamken | August 19, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to resign Pete Kendall. Some lineman on another team is going to get hurt in preseason and Kendall will certainly be one who is considered as a replacement. So we need to move now on Kendall.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 19, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Base Declaration of 2009
______________________________________

It appears that the Redskins fan base is partially comprised of a group of "football geniuses". These football academicians are obviously wasting their lives in their current jobs!

Moreover, I think they are wasting their time even posting here because the rest of us fans are just not smart enough to understand how terrible the Redskins are for eternity!

In order to save these football geniuses' time, I suggest we all admit the following principles so to free the football geniuses to perform other scholarly football activity.

Summary of Redskin Football Status per RFKROX and other super-smart and negative posters:

1) Redskins are the worst team in the NFL forever.

2) Redskins need a new owner, a new general manager, a new head coach, a
new set of offensive and defensive coaches. They need a new QB, A new offensive line, a new set of recievers and tight ends. Redskins also need a new set of defensive players, plus a new stadium in a new city.

3) Unless #2 above is accomplished, the Redskins will have horrible seasons forever.

4) Redskins are worst than all other NFL teams

5) All other NFL teams have better owners, coaches and players

6) Anybody who ever hope that the Redskins will have any success is devoid of any football acumen.

7) Redskins have the worst yabadabadoo in the entire NFL!

As the representative for football-dumb Redskins fans, I admit that above information is forever true. We worship the ground where the football geniuses consume large amounts of brew daily.

Based on the above admission, I ask the football geniuses not to waste their time on these boards anymore. They should start consulting other fan bases and enlighten them on a daily basis regarding how inadequate their teams are. Redskins are a lost cause, so why bother?

We have also asked the Redskins gestapo to stop holding a gun to people's head to force them be a Redskins fan.

Effective immediately, all football geniuses are thereby relieved from their state-sponsored duties to be a Redskins fan. This is true, I am not kidding. Nobody is going to be sued if they stop being Redskins fan. Moreover, people are also free not to watch the games on TV or go the stadium!! I am absolutely not making this up guys!

You all have the freedom to adore Wade Phillips and Tom Brady. Hell, you guys can even date them, both, at the same time. Feel free to take along your family too!

HTTR