Could punt returns be in Thomas' future?

Devin Thomas, punt returner?

The second-year wide receiver is the No. 1 flanker, recently replaced Rock Cartwright as the primary kickoff returner and has emerged as a productive deep threat while displaying improved work habits. It would seem Thomas has more than enough to handle, but he said he's ready to share the load on punt returns if needed.

"If the coaches feel confident in me that they put me in more positions to help us win, why wouldn't I want to do that?" Thomas said. "I'm happy with the role they've given me, I'm happy with getting the ball however I can get it, so let's go."

Antwaan Randle El again struggled in the role in Sunday's 34-13 victory to the Oakland Raiders. On a fair catch, Randle El misplayed one ball that rolled a long way and resulted in poor field position for the Redskins. The Raiders also recovered the ball on Randle El's muff in the fourth.

"I think he was just more frustrated he couldn't get to that ball that hit the ground," Zorn said. "And it was the fumbled kick, the fumbled punt return, that was just something that he's going to see and kick himself for."

Randle El is averaging only 3.9 yards per punt, which is not among the top 24 return averages in the league. His 18 fair catches would be the highest total in the league if Randle El had returned enough punts to qualify among the league's leaders.

Thomas wanted it made clear he was not lobbying for Randle El's job. But he would be willing to take on more work if the coaching staff would prefer to have top wideout Santana Moss, who has been used as a change-of-pace returner, to focus exclusively on offense in the final three games.

"Everybody knows El has been doing it for a long time and he's a great veteran," Thomas said. "But if they want me to go back there and help, I'm going to go back there and help. They're feeling confident in having me back there [on kickoffs] and wanting me to do a good job, and I'm going to continue to do that for them. And I'm still ready to do the punt returns, so we'll see."

Coach Jim Zorn expressed some reluctance to expand Thomas's duties even more this season. "Who knows?" Zorn said. "I'm not sure I'm going to handle that quite yet. ... But he's not out of the question."

Special teams coordinator Danny Smith will have input in the decision, Zorn said. "The big thing is a matter of trust," Zorn said. "Catching a punt versus catching a kickoff, a little bit different. The decision-making, he hasn't had to make, on that minus 10-yard line. ... We're getting there with him."

By Jason Reid  |  December 14, 2009; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quick hit: Zorn's injury updates
Next: Alexander has triumphant return home

Comments

What is all this TRUST crap with Zorn, let the best player play...for christs sake.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Jim Zorn expressed some reluctance to expand Thomas's duties even more this season"

Just when I think that JZ is starting to 'get' it, he does this...yeah, no role expanding on a 4-9 team...that crazy talk....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

His trust issues are going to cost him his job, along with being a control freak and an idiot.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 14, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Well anyone is better than Randle El. I like Thomas as KR as well... Rock is no longer needed.

BTW, I've gotten my comments in the Wash Post 3 times this season!! Woohoo! So cool! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | December 14, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I may have missed this discussion in earlier threads, but does anyone know what Fred Davis did to get the illegal celebration flag after his first touchdown?

All they showed on TV was him dancing. I've seen much more over the top celebrations not get a flag. One of the Raiders players jumped into the black hole. Surely if a dance is a flag, then surely jumping up and down like an idiot and jumping into a crowd of drunken men dressed as gorillas would be too...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

What about giving Rock a shot at punt returns or letting him be primary KO returner again so DT could do punts? DT would be good at both but that is asking a lot of him. The reason Satana does not return punts now but is due to the fact he is the #1 wide out. To have your #2 doing kick off and punt returns seems like a lot.

Posted by: B2WIN | December 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Keep Thomas away from PR duty. He needs to work as a WR, let him focus on being the best WR he can be.

Let Mason, Rock or Westbrook do PR/KR.

Or as someone suggested to Cindy this morning, forget about a return, get everyone on the line and try to block it. Its up to 3 or 4 times we've lost the ball back to the other team on a punt return.

With results like that, why not go for the block?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The pats have Wes Welker, Pro-Bowl WR returning punts, and have LMaroney, returning kicks, but JZ is worried about giving these guys too much....sigh...then there is stuff like this:

"we trade for and draft injured players, surely we're not the only idiots out there.

besides, cooley is one of the most popular players in the NFL. Just look how peeps like you goe ape-crap over the idea of him not being here. Surely we can find some sucker to give a pick, or a solid player in return"

words escape me.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about decision making on punt returns being "difficult". A guy back there who made no decisions and simply fair caught everything (even returnable kicks) would be better than the guy who signals for a fair catch and then lets the ball roll 30 yards back, or lets the ball bounce off his chest or his face-mask...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | December 14, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

How about the Saints last year? They were 8-8. Would you have gotten a new QB instead of fixing the secondary?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 2:36 PM |
---------------------------

Drew Brees (and this is just since he went to the Saints):

2006 26 TDs 11 INT
2007 28 TDs 18 INT
2008 34 TDs 17 INT
2009 32 TDs 10 INT

Yeah, those are real Campbellesque numbers.

You're a fool, because you continually set yourself up to be smacked down by your own comparisons...lol

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

mrredskin21

"Therefore he (J Campbell)doesn't have a "right" to anything in this league."

This is true.

No NFL player is guaranteed anything.

But I like what Jason Campbell has earned so far.

Folks say he hasn't won on his own, and yesterday, he pulled the ball down, and ran into the open spaces made by d-backs too busy playing tight coverage to look around.

He got hit, got up, and made throws.

He's done this a lot over the past four weeks--be the guy we said he wasn't.

He suddenly has become as accurate as any quarterback in the league not named Brees or Manning.

His play is improving as the younger players around him are gaining confidence.

Campbell is and should be the face of the franchise next season--not the guy who dresses up in costumes or the blonde tight end.

The announcer C Davis pointed out that the skins are professional players in a franchise where the ownership has been anything but at times.

And the leader of the "How To Conduct Yourself Professionally When Folks Hate You" squad is Jason Campbell.

He's being a man while his detractors prefer snarky syllogisms and silly reasoning.

And whereas others might not want to, I accord him my respect for professionally putting up with the pounding and negativity he's received all year.

And that respect, is guaranteed.

After all, he's earned it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 14, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Bean,

Lackey currently taking a physical with the BoSox, and they reportedly offered a $15.5 million deal to Aroldis Chapman. Thoughts...?

Posted by: mattylight | December 14, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those are real Campbellesque numbers.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Wait, what are those? the only number that matter are wins and losses!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

PS: The "simpletons" are the ones who watch a close loss (still a loss, at home) to the Saints, then a win against a Raiders team after they lose Gradkowski, and they're ready to start handing out extensions to players left and right.

There are three gamnes left. There are no sacred cows. Let's see what they do.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

how what why where

Posted by: rachel216

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 14, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wait, what are those? the only number that matter are wins and losses!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 2:54 PM |
------------------------------

That's true too. And you'll find that Brees has way more wins, and way more TDs than Campbell.

Go ahead, PA, compare their W/L record, then compare their TD/INT record.

Then come back and ask me more insipid questions...lol

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Jason is a good runner, and this game wasnt by any stretch his first good or only running game, because he knows when to run. He really won't run if he can't go for more than 5 yards. He has displayed this trait for 2 years at least. He knows when to run.

Sliding is a different matter.

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

repost

My 2 cents on JC. As much as I like him, it really based on potential. I say that because every year, JC has gotten a little better, and I think his play will increase considerably the more experience he has in one offense, and with better players in front of him. IMO I'd sign him to a multi-year deal commensurate with the pay of his peers (Orton, Cutler, Schaub etc) w/ incentives included that would pay him better. If the FO chooses to just tender him, and risk having to shell out more if JC blows up (and saving if he doesn't) i think that's fair. After all, JC hasn't really put together a year of consistently above average production at the QB spot. However, if the past month doesn't excite you with the possibilities of JC growing with the young WRs, then you're not really being open minded about this subject.

Posted by: TWISI | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

ml, saw that, Lackey is a good move I think, Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Dice has a nice ring to is, don't know of the cat Chapman, whats his story?? Bay is pissing me off however...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Haha I don't think anyone wants to hear their coach answer a question with "Who knows???"

Posted by: REXskins | December 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

MrRedskin21,

You and I have gone back and forth about Campbell a good bit this season. I'm down with the "he's gotta lead us down the field in crunch time" argument, but from where I sit, there isn't a better QB out there right now for us to go get -- whether it's in the draft, or FA. Plus, with all the sophomores playing well (DT, MK, Davis), Campbell is elevating his level of play as well. It's a tricky situation for sure -- I'm sure everyone here will agree Campbell is never gonna be a top-5 NFL QB, but I've seen a lot from him recently, enough to warrant him getting an extension. Agree?

Posted by: mattylight | December 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead, PA, compare their W/L record, then compare their TD/INT record.

Then come back and ask me more insipid questions...lol

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I was talking about Rex Grossman's win loss record but you've already forgotten about that. I think you have ADHD so I'll get you back on track. I said W/L ratio is a stupid way to evaluate a QB. Then you posted drew brees TD numbers. Take some ritalin and come back with some better facts. Win/Loss ratio is a stupid way to evaluate a QB. Stay on track.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Drew Brees is better than JC.....we'd better get rid of Campbell then!!

all you have to do is watch the rest of the league's games and notice that there are really only 5-6 truly elite qb's in the whole league.

so unless you can get one of them, you cant upgrade over JC this offseason.

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And that respect, is guaranteed.

After all, he's earned it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 14, 2009 2:53 PM |
-----------------------------

Oh... My.... God.

Go grab a big bottle of Perspective, chief.

He's a pro athlete who has won NOTHING, in fact hasn't even led his team to a playoff game just so he could lose. So he's less than Romo.

Great guy? Sure. Humble and respectful? You bet. Tough? No question. A winner? The answer after 5 years and 3 as a starter, is NO.

Now, don't let me interrupt your maudlin posts going forward. Keep the Kleenex nearby.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

What a jackazz....he is acting like a petulant child. ARE you watching ARE?

During the 980AM presser earlier today, he refused to acknowledge or give any credit to the improved play calling. He rarely, if ever throws props to SLewis.

Zorn only referred to it as the "game planning"....as if his input is even necessary.

Posted by: ksquare | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Why is this still a story? Why is ARE still in the mix at PR.?!?

I dunno. I'm still feelin' that Zoron needs to go. How 'bout 'yall?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Chapman is seen as the next can't miss Cuban defector. 21-year old LHP, 6'4", reportedly can hit 100mph on the gun...

If I was Epstein or the Cards GM I would tell Bay and Holliday the same thing: if you really want to go play for the pathetic Mets, don't let the door hit you on the way out. We'll contend every year with or without you around...

Posted by: mattylight | December 14, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:00 PM |
--------------------------

Nah, you brought up Brees/Saints being 8-8 last year.

Naturally, when you got hit with his career numbers with NO, you wished you hadn't brought him up.

You were also talking about Jurgensen, a man who played half a century ago in the days of pot-bellies, off-season jobs, all-night drinking binges and very low salaries.

Your point?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

It's his first year EVER playing the position, and he's not been that bad.

One of the things that's working for him is that by being a LB, he's not getting worn-down and pounded by Olinemen on running plays all game. It keeps him relatively fresh and explosive when he does put his hand down to rush the passer.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: p1funk | December 14, 2009 1:49 PM

But what about the multiple times he has been burnt by a TE for a TD/1st Down? The people advocating for him wanted him as a SAM. Now, he primarily plays DE, especially with Hayneworth out.

Orakpo is on every Friday with LaVar. And LaVar and Osackpo basically said, the coaches are doing what's best, letting him play with his hand on the ground. All that B.S. he was spitting pre-draft was to ensure he got picked as high as possible. Now, he's singing a diff tune, saying he can excel in this league as a DE.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

ml, agreed, Bay can go play in completele anonimity in Seattle....

BB bringing up #84 in his presser today:

"You know how I feel about stats,” Belichick said. “Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners. We had games when I was with the Giants and we couldn’t hold Gary Clark under 200 yards passing. And some of those are wins. That’s the bottom line.”

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Zorn trusts the guy that drops the ball, misses the ball, and runs sideways when he catches it, but doesn't trust the guy who hasn't had a chance?

Let Sherman Lewis pick the punt returner.

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

nice to see the Campbell critics easing up. If he beats ny and Dallas I imagine these folks will turn into big supporters. I hope he ends all doubt by seasons end.

Nothing against parcells, but for all the reverence to that guy, how many championships has he won since 1986? He seems to be good at taking godawful teams and making them respectable, but has trouble creating consistent winners.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 14, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Are people not entitled to change their minds? I mean, until Jason Campbell leads the team to several 4th quarter come from behind wins, until he gets the team into the playoffs and wins, and until he brings home a championship we who believe he is incapable of that are right, and those that do are wrong. If he does then obviously everyone will change their minds about him. I for one was absolutely clamoring for him when Brunel was our starter. I was happy they switched to him and for the first year and a half or so I completely bought into the whole he's young, new systems, lack of weapons, and so on excuses for him. .

But after the debacle of last season's collapse and this year I think he's an average at best QB and won't take us anywhere of substance long term. That said I think he's better than any free agent option that will be available and I don't think any of the QBs coming out in year one are going to be an improvement either. I'm all for re-signing him to a incentive laden deal and keeping him while fixing other issues first. (however if I'm Jason I hope the first train smoking out of this franchise) But everyone knocked Eli until he won, people knocked Peyton until he won, people are knocking Big Ben and he has one, people are getting on Brady and he's won and JC hasn't had anywhere near their success and he's been in the league 5 years already. Until he wins games and gets in the playoffs he deserves all the critics he has. Based on team performance and win loss records he's a below average QB, make all the excuses you want for him but understand that you're arguing against the evidence and all you have are if's and maybe's to say that he's a winner.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 14, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

not sure how I feel about Lavar being in contact with BO...seems like he could have a very negative influence...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Exactly.

I think it's hilarious.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The one who should be kicking himself is Zorn for having ARE back there fielding punts. Thank god someone higher up made a call like firing the kicker. Now how about sitting ARE the fcku down during punts???

"I'm just surprised that it's turned out the way it has with Antwaan," Zorn said. "I really do trust him in there." I mean, you're joking right? Or you are a complete, absolute idiot. You trust him to do what...call fair catch, gain no yard on punt returns, and cough the ball up occasionally? I mean it's things like this that really prevent me from feeling sorry that Zorn is out of here. Good riddance, idiot.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Nah, you brought up Brees/Saints being 8-8 last year.

Your point?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

My is and will continue to be that win loss record is a stupid way to evaluate a QB.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"But a few people on here treat Campbell as if he were some mentally-retarded child who is being unfairly picked on.

I think it's hilarious."

what's also hilarious is people constantly calling for a change without being able to ever name the player we should be going to.

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis's dance was lame and he deserved that flag and it cost us.

And how about penalizing Desean for that irritating punkass river dance thing, which we get to enjoy for years to come. At least London knocked him out.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 14, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, that was a moving speech. Who is making excuses for Jason??

Posted by: AdamCr | December 14, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2:

Yes people are entitled to change their minds! I have been pulling for Campbell for a long time, but this season there was a couple game stretch where he just looked terrible. Underthowing, overthrowing.

At the time I was starting to change my opinion to thinking we needed a new QB. I still never though we should draft one in the first round, or maybe at all next year. But I was not seeing JC as a long term QB.

Now he's bringing me back around and then some. To not change your opinion when the facts change would be pretty stupid wouldn't it?

Posted by: REXskins | December 14, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

MrRedskin21

I don't get why it matter that sonny played 50 years ago. Did they have wins and losses back then? I also used drew brees and then the first thing you did was bust out his TDs. By doing that you just proved my point for me. Wins and losses is a stupid way to evaluate a QB.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

yes, and judging a QB by his stats during the last two minutes of games against prevent D's is a great way to evaluate a QB.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 14, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, that was a moving speech. Who is making excuses for Jason??

Posted by: AdamCr | December 14, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Mostly everyone......He has a couple of good games and one win against the Raiders who were very much in the game until Gradksdkekjskdjfkski got hurt and everyone is acting like JC is vindicated and has proven he should be the face of the franchise. A week after he played a great game against NO but choked in crunch time throwing a pick 15 yards from game winning field goal range......

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 14, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Are people not entitled to change their minds? I mean, until Jason Campbell leads the team to several 4th quarter come from behind wins, until he gets the team into the playoffs and wins, and until he brings home a championship we who believe he is incapable of that are right, and those that do are wrong."

That's one of the most flawed senses of logic I've seen written on this blog in a long, long time.

Good thing we now know that Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, and Jason Campbell are all incapable of winning anything of substance. After all, if it hasn't happened before, it clearly means they are incapable. And don't argue with me, because past evidence says that I'm right, and anybody that claims to believe anyone of these guys are capable of winning a playoff game are 100% wrong.

Posted by: psps23 | December 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan
-------------------------

I guess we should just completely disregard whether a QB is good in the 2 minute drill or not. Oh wait that's kind of important.

Posted by: REXskins | December 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sonny played in an era when many of the prima donna athletes of today wouldn't last. The linemen were hit in the head, the DB's shoved the WR's all down the field and the QB's actually got hit. The NFL has changed the rules to make it easier to be a QB in todays game, not harder. That's why it matters PA.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:12 PM |
---------------------------------------

Nah, the ultimate foolishness is assuming Campbell deserves a contract, a starting job in 2010 without competing for it, and a minimum of competition, i.e., don't draft a QB or get one via FA, don't let Colt Brennan have a shot, because Campbell has that DAUNTING 20-29 record.

We wouldn't want to monkey with 20-29!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

LEAVE JASON ALONE!!!! You're lucky he even performs for you bastards!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

My point was that wins and losses are a stupid way to evaluate a QB. Getting hit in the head and pot bellies have nothing to do with that.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins

Yes, it's very important if you win. JC doesn't.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 14, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

We wouldn't want to monkey with 20-29!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What if it was 38-42? Would you monkey with that? The Saints did.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

zfj:

Arguing that the Raiders were still in it is the same as arguing using the W/L record.

JC doesn't play on Defense, so if the offense scores over 30 points, I don't think there's any room to complain, regardless of the close the game is.

With the resources we put into our Defense, 30 points should be a win almost every time. That how our team is theoretically built.

Posted by: REXskins | December 14, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not in the 'Jr' naming system....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2009 12:34 PM

How about "Buttlr" ... if its a boy, maybe you could get a photo with a professional basketball player.

Posted by: dcsween | December 14, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2009 3:09 PM

How's he gonna do that? Hypnotize him?

Come on, BO is grown up. He's his own man. Maybe he'll have a good influence on LaVar. And LaVar can certainly teach him something about mistakes to avoid.

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

PA, Brees was 30-28 with San Diego.

And so far 38-23 with the Saints
Check your references more closely next time.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My point was that wins and losses are a stupid way to evaluate a QB.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The modern era qb you are looking for is Kerry Collins.

He got the Panthers to NFC title game, and I don't think anyone would consider him a great qb.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"don't let Colt Brennan have a shot, because Campbell has that DAUNTING 20-29 record."

truly hilarious, had to figure there are still Cult of Colt fans around.

lil'Colt will have his chance, if he can stay healthy thru practice next season anyway.

we'd be mourning at Colt's funeral if he played behind our oline this year btw.

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

What if it was 38-42? Would you monkey with that? The Saints did.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 14, 2009 3:25 PM |
-----------------------------

When did you invent those numbers? LOL

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

LEAVE JASON ALONE!!!! You're lucky he even performs for you bastards!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2009 3:22 PM |

Huh? We're lucky? Isn't this his job? Doesn't he get paid to do this? And doesn't his paycheck next year depend on how well he performs this year?

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Should also add that Collins lead the Giants to a Super Bowl in a season where he set the record for fumbles.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

HEY! I hope you guys aren't badmouthing monkeys. dcsween hearts monkeys (except for those really big-nosed ones ... and some of those shiny pink butt baboon ones).

Posted by: dcsween | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | December 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Psps, perhaps you struggle with reading comprehension, I wasn't saying you can't believe in him, or that you can't argue for him. And I didn't say that you can't argue with me about him. What I did say is for you to understand that you have precious little evidence in your favor when you say that Campbell can do all those things. And every year more evidence mounts against him as he fails to win games late, lead a winning team, and even make the playoffs much less win in them. Of your list there, Matt Ryan has already had a winning season and made the playoffs, Freeman and Sanchez are rookies, Vince Young already has more come from behind victories than Campbell, and Aaron Rodgers is only in his second year as a starter but has much better numbers despite being sacked more than JC and has his team at 9 and 4 and more than likely in the playoffs as a wild card team. Tony Romo I happen to think can't win anything of substance but has a much better career record than JC and has gotten the Cowboys in the playoffs. So again other than two rookies (of which Sanchez' team still has a legit shot at the playoffs and his team's offense look awful with Clemens in for him yesterday) your list there already surpasses JC in terms of success and he's in his 5th year. I'm not sure what your point was with that, but my point remains, you are arguing on potential with no supporting evidence and just have a bunch of ifs and maybes as your reasoning for saying he can do any of that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

truly hilarious, had to figure there are still Cult of Colt fans around.

we'd be mourning at Colt's funeral if he played behind our oline this year btw.

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:30 PM |
---------------------

Yep. "Truly hilarious." Like the goofs who think 20-29 is the GOLD STANDARD.

Colt = sucks (has yet to play in an NFL game).

Campbell: Deserves a contract, respect, accolades, a shot at a reality TV show, dinner with the president, because he's.... 20-29.

LMAO

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 14, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM |

dcsween working hard on referring to himself in third person. League-Source thinks dcsween wants to be seen as the new Truth.

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Sonny played in an era when many of the prima donna athletes of today wouldn't last."

Much love to Sonny, but that's old timer talk that doesnt hold merit when you see today's qbs getting up after the hits they take. Hits that would cripple the non-lifting, heavy drinking, poorly paid, pot bellied qb's of yesteryear

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

divi,

yes, the athletes of today are bigger and stronger and faster, but the QB's are more protected as are the O-lineman and the WR's. Playing QB then was harder due to those variables.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 14, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

On the Ryan v Freeman v Romo v Rodgers v Sanchez v Young v Campbell discussion, I also think different QBs can function better in different systems.

For example, I think the drop off in Cutler's performance (from Denver to Chicago) is remarkable. I don't think Cutler got worse, I think his offensive line did.

I was reminded about this watching Cedric Benson this year behind Cincinnati's line (rather than Chicago's). Its almost like Chicago has a moronic front office who completely despises offensive linemen ... wait, scratch that ... go SKINS!

Posted by: dcsween | December 14, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if Colt could play well in preseason or not get hurt, he'd have played in the reg season already.

He looks like crap most all the time and on top of it he's fragile.

but he threw for 8 million yards at hawaii!!

Posted by: divi3 | December 14, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

After reading more comments it is confirmed that the only thing JC haters have to argue is the W/L record. It's pretty pathetic.

There are so many other things wrong with the team that I KNOW you JC haters have also complained about (rightly so). Such that it makes it absurd that you should put so much on JC's shoulders alone.

It just doesn't make sense to complain about all these other things and then say JC sucks just b/c of the TEAMS record.

Posted by: REXskins | December 14, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny don't deserve JC. The Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay would love to talk to him. JC I'll help you pack. This organization and fans base don't deserve you. After all Antonio Pierce left and got a ring, so did Brad Johnson and Ryan Clark.

Posted by: classicskins | December 14, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny don't deserve JC. The Carolina Panthers and Tampa Bay would love to talk to him. JC I'll help you pack. This organization and fan base don't deserve you. After all Antonio Pierce left and got a ring, so did Brad Johnson and Ryan Clark.

Posted by: classicskins | December 14, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken Brady gets all the credit for his first SB win. Driving down the field in the last 2 minutes, he has "ice water in his veins", or insert any worn out sports cliche. But if Vinateri doesn't hit that kick, then what?

Point being Jason puts us in a position to win, other people muck it up(Suisham). He has looked great, especially in the last 2 games. I want to see him back next year, anybody who doesn't is a moron. Drafting McCoy or Clausen would not be the wisest of choices.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

LEAVE JASON ALONE!!!! You're lucky he even performs for you bastards!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2009 3:22 PM |

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse
BTW that's a reference to the fruity boy who was crying about Britney Spears, while under a sheet. You may have seen it on the internet.....Get a sense of humor.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd settle for a new Right Tackle and little more OL depth and somebody other than El returning punts in 2010.
Oh, and an RB and an FS.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | December 14, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has more trust issues than a jealous fat wife

Posted by: Istudydrugs | December 14, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The question the Redskins have to answer is do they want a QB who is in the upper half of QB's in the league and can win with a good line and decent talent at the skill positions. He'll never be a Top 5 QB like P. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rothleisberger, or Favre (too old anyways), but who's to say that any QB we draft such as McCoy, Claussen, etc. will have the same upside?

Campbell has improved each year he's been the starter and has weathered the lack of support in the front office & on the O-Line. I tend to doubt that a number of QB's would have even made it through the season in one piece with all of the hits he's taken, not to mention the poor play calling under Zorn. It is pretty obvious that with Lewis calling the pass plays that JC is more comfortable and the younger guys like Thomas and Davis have made huge strides.

The offense needs a better O-line and RB's to improve. QB is the least of our needs except maybe at backup. Campbell will be highly sought after in a week FA market and will command a contract equivalent to most starting QB's. Hopefully, the new GM that is hired will recognize this and get JC signed before he leaves in free agency.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 14, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 14, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

you would think that they would be trying ANYTHING to increase the production from the punt returns.....its so inept now....either they have given up on trying to get better or don't know how....

Posted by: outrbnksm | December 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

At this point ...i'd let Albert Buttersworth return punts !!!!!

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | December 14, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think I finally figured out why most of you want Zorn fired. You can't understand why he is so supportive of his team. The reason is that he works hard with them during the week, knows that they are working hard, appreciates them, they appreciate him and then they play hard for him. The majority of posters on this forum are angry people who want to lash out at any player who is having any problem. They think that a successful coach has to be an ass like they are. In fact, they will argue that I am wrong, that the Skins are losers and they will point to the 4-9 record as proof. Sorry, I've watched the Skins the entire season and I don't believe that they are losers. And I hope very much, though I am not naive enough to believe it will happen, that this coach who has now transformed the Skins into the very best team in the NFL East, despite the overwhelming difficulties he faced this year, is retained.

Posted by: richardshaker | December 14, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Antwaan Randle El again struggled in the role in Sunday's 34-13 victory to the Oakland Raiders."

He's struggled for the past 3 years or whenever it was he started the job. Anyone can catch the ball, dance around and get tackled for a five yard loss.

I'm in disbelief they've stuck with him this long. Zorn and his TRUST! Put someone back there that can make a play man! Stop being such a conservative wuss Zorn!

Posted by: anw821 | December 14, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

If McCoy and Claussen are the Skins only choices, then they better think strongly about resigning Campbell. I'd take Campbell over those soon to be busts any day.

Posted by: anw821 | December 14, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

deshaun jackson is no punk ass anything if washington had him he would have 8-10 touchdowns on this team now and probably on the way to the play-offs this guy just makes a big play nearly every time he touches the ball most of them over 50yds! for a person who is 5'10 172lbs he can take a hit and is NOT a fumbler like 275lb mike sellars. zorn should be fired by the end of the season he is weak and a horrible play caller and in way over his head. sherm lewis for head coach if not at least offensive coordinator.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 14, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Starters should not be returning kicks and punts unless its a critical game that can put you in the playoffs I.E. the way Gibbs would use D.Green.

Thomas is becoming a very valuable offensive weapon.
I would hate to loose him for a season, because this team is to damm stupid too develop a return man, the Liking of B-Mich or Mike Nelms.

Posted by: dashriprock | December 14, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"Antwaan Randle El again struggled"

He ALWAYS struggles! Like the time the ball hit him in the face a couple weeks ago. He's TERRIBLE at returning punts. Who can't see that? And Cartwright is great. But ANYONE other than Randle El. Let Haynesworth do returns instead.

Posted by: kls1 | December 14, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

so Jason may not be the best QB out there and he still has not gotten over that final hump, but he is def. a starting NFL QB right now with potential to become a high-performing NFL QB
the Redskins have much worse problems than QB, want proof? Look no further than our neighbors to the north in Baltimore, they are able to win with practically equal if not worse QBing, they have just built a better team around their QB while the Redskins have not
Flacco