Daniel Signed to Saints' Practice Squad

Quarterback Chase Daniel will not be returning to the Redskins after all; instead he has been signed to the New Orleans Saints' practice squad, according to multiple reports.

At a news conference Saturday to announce the opening 53-man roster, Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, said the team hoped to sign Daniel to the practice squad if he cleared waivers.

But Daniel considered his options and chose not to rejoin the Redskins. I've heard there may have been some confusing signals regarding players coming from Redskins Park since Friday night. To be honest, I'm really not sure what to make of this Daniel thing because several people told me Coach Jim Zorn likes the kid, thinks he has some talent and definitely wanted him back. That's not going to happen.
...
Cody Glenn has been signed to Indianapolis' practice squad.

By Jason Reid  |  September 6, 2009; 5:24 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five for the Practice Squad
Next: Skins to Sign Woodson to Practice Squad

Comments

I thought we were supposed to be moving on!!

Posted by: Section104 | September 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Yet another front office blunder from Mr Cerrato. Great job, Vinny!

Posted by: sfchil | September 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh sorry...first.

Posted by: Section104 | September 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

wow I am shocked by this one. I liked the kid as well more than I liked Colt

Posted by: jm220 | September 6, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully woodson will make himself useful by helping us with the giants offense

Posted by: AdamCr | September 6, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

brian brohm was cut by the packers... sign him...now!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | September 6, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

It really makes sense for Chase Daniel. It forces the Redskins hand. If Snyder/Cerrato/Zorn really want him back, they can get him back by signing Daniel away from the Saints and put him on the 53 man roster. I think it's a pretty savy move by Daniel, and obviously his agent.

Posted by: alwayswaitingtilnextyear | September 6, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

And so Cody Glenn has the last laugh.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

And so Cody Glenn has the last laugh.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 5:45 PM |

If you cornsider being a zingo on the Colts PS something to chortle about.

Posted by: BankerVance | September 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's an puzzling thought.

I believe the redskins have a game next weekend against the Football Giants of New York.

Presumably they will be practicing defenses against the Giants offensive sets.

Who gets to pretend to be Eli Manning during practice?

Certainly not Campbell or Collins who have offensive plays to run and need to rest their arms.

And how about ARE? Well that distracts him from offensive practice.

It's this kind of attention to detail the Redskins lack that causes big problems.

I'm unclear--can practice squad players take part in practices? Would seem to be so, but I'm not sure.

If so they BETETR sign a PS QB.

If not, someone from the big squad has an unpleasant Turk visit in his future.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I blame him for leaving. When they put the guy you're supposed to be competing with on IR and they still don't give you the job, it's probably a good sign the you don't have the full confidence of the coaches. Better in that case to look for greener pastures elsewhere. I don't think it's a big loss. He size was a limitation, and I doubt he will ever be more than a backup in the NFL.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 6, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

OMFG!!!

mixed signals from the Redskin Brainfreeze?

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Posted by: mdrockjock | September 6, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

beeps and such

Posted by: bangkokben | September 6, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

beeps and such

Posted by: bangkokben | September 6, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Great move by Chase. If the Skins love him so much they will have to put him on the 53, if they dont put their money where their mouth is then Chase will learn from the best short QB in the league. Smart move all the way around for Chase, and way to F that one up vinny.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | September 6, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

NO seems like a good situation for a QB. Chase is behind Mark Brunnell who will probably leave mid-season when he starts collecting social security. Great shot at being back up next year. Here? Not so clear that his sugar daddy, Zorn, will even be around to make him #2 behind -- who?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"But Daniel considered his options and chose not to rejoin the Redskins."

I'd go somewhere else also, the kid everything he could and still got the shaft.

Lame.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 6, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Upgrade at QB! And, we gonna use him on the Ginas.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

O my gosh! Who cares if Daniel went to the Saints practice squad! This was not a savvy move, what do you think his better chance is, be in an organization that has Drew Brees, or Jason Campbell? Unfortunately, JC has not stepped up and removed all doubt here, but there is no way he touches the field in New Orleans. Signing Daniel to the 53 man roster would be completely stupid. Keeping two quarterbacks was the smartest thing the team has done in a long time. Tell me how many times over the last ten years has the third string quarterback actually touched the field for any team? No more wasted roster spots!

Posted by: hoopdawg03 | September 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Also with the way the Skins have treated JC why would any QB want to play for the Skins if they have options at other teams.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | September 6, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I think that Cody Glenn going to Indy is a bigger loss than Daniels. Glenn has a better chance of finding himself on the playing field of an actual NFL game sooner than Daniels. There's a pretty good chance that Daniels will NEVER make onto an actual roster.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Like I said... savy move. If the Redskins want Daniel, they're going to have to sign him and keep him on the roster. That means he makes a pro paycheck, not a practice squad paycheck. If he stays with the Saints, he gets to practice every day with Brees and Brunell; two quarterbacks that have been successful as starters in the NFL. That's something that cannot be said about Campbell or Collins. This move makes me like Daniel even more today.

Posted by: alwayswaitingtilnextyear | September 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

If I was told there was going to be a competition, and I threw 3 tds and my competition threw three ints...and they signed my competition, I'd leave.

There's a bonehead involved here. Me thinks it is Cerrato.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 6, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad they kept Brennan, even if on IR. Rumors were that Dallas wanted Brennan. With his potential he would have been claimed by another team off waivers though. Good luck to Chase Daniel. He could be the next Doug Flutie.

Posted by: bfjam | September 6, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

"O my gosh! Who cares if Daniel went to the Saints practice squad! This was not a savvy move, what do you think his better chance is, be in an organization that has Drew Brees, or Jason Campbell? ... Posted by: hoopdawg03"

Consider that Drew Brees is 6' and his size doesn't seem to handicap him. The coach and organization got to see Chase at NFL speed.

Posted by: fwroy | September 6, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Good for Chase....it just didnt make sense. Much ado about nothing. All that, and now, poof...both are gone.

Posted by: GoSk1ns | September 6, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

cody who and daniel who went to who to do what?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 6, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I understand the numbers game, but in my opinion, the Redskins have made a big mistake by letting Chase Daniel go.

I have followed Chase Daniel's career since high school at Southlake Carrol in TX. At every level, he has always been been the leader of the offense and one of the best at his position. And he is a WINNER, at every level.

As a QB, Chase strengths are his poise and decisiveness. These qualities are essential for a successful west coast attack. He makes good decisions and gets rid of the ball on-time. When nothing is there he remains poised. His mobility allows him to scramble to buy time for receivers or to throw the ball away. He can run for the first down as well. He is perfect for the Redskins.

We saw these qualities in his play this preseason. He ran the offense very well and did not seem overwhelmed, even with the offensive line breaking down around him (his mobility is another reason to keep him). Good QBs are hard to come by, and with experience, I could see him leading this offense. He is a diamond in the rough, even if he is not 6'5".

I can understand why Coach Zorn likes him. I just cannot understand how they let him get away.

Posted by: txfort | September 6, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel is so good. I can't believe we let him go. He is so good that I can't believe that every team in the league, us included, didn't draft him. Though I rave about how the Pats know how to build a team and stuff I am puzzled that they didn't try to sign Chase and instead head into the season with only 2 QBs.

Posted by: OrganicWater | September 6, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that some of you are chastising the organization for not putting an unsigned free agent, undersized QB, on the team!

Posted by: Jason10 | September 6, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I was just talking with a work buddy about how we love our skins, but it's so hard to put your heart and soul into the team as long as V.C. has anything to do with who comes or goes. Please, somebody help us! Make this gu feeling evaluator of talent go away. Can't D.S. find a real gm, or a coach that can act as coach and gm? Will Danny's ego let him hire someone like Cowher, and give him full control? If Dan really loves his Redskins, he must let go and give let his beloved team alone, get rid of Vinny and beg an Edwards or Cowher to take control of the Skins. Please Dan. We love our team, don't you?

Posted by: coastallp74 | September 6, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone else caught it, but seemed that on last drive of the game Thursday Daniel was completely ignoring Zorn on the sidelines. I wasn't surprised at all by the news.

Posted by: mstov | September 6, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I've said it a million times... give it up Redskin fans.... as long as Danny and Vinny are running the show - they are just fleecing your wallet, and breaking your heart. It's all about the money. Football operations are a sham - no real professionals in charge. As soon as you realize it - and show with your wallet (no tickets, jerseys etc) NOTHING will change. There was an entry earlier in the week from someone who was going to take their money and invest it where you at least FELT like the team cared - the Caps!

Posted by: 1of9000 | September 6, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

For an "insider" that was a pretty bad report. Chase Daniel didn't have a choice, he was claimed by the Saints off of waivers.... I thought that point was pretty clear.

Posted by: punchdaclock | September 6, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

What this really says is ignore the media hype and feel good stories fed by the Redskin front office and the Post. This decision shows that they were not happy with either 3rd string QB.

i know folks love the underdog simply for the sake of supporting the underdog, but Chase Daniel was not the solution here in DC. he has some football savvy for sure, but he won't ever be on a starting NFL QB nor on the cover of madden.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 6, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

In response to mstov, I did see him sort of not paying attention to Coach Zorn while waiting for the review of the TD pass at the end of the game that was overturned.

In response to Jason10, I thought that picking up a player the caliber of Daniel was a great pick=up. He ran the team quite efficiently and mistake-free, as he has at every level of his football life. I also know that other teams noticed his abilities and potential, as evidenced by the Saints picking him up. I think Zorn likes him, and that Redskin management thought he would clear waivers, and the SKins could sign him on their practice squad.

I think they should have protected Chase Daniel and cut someone else (there were others that would have probably cleared waivers). I don't rate QBs by height, I rate them by according to abilities, decision-making, poise, throwing accuracy, leadership, mobility, etc,... Daniel has a huge upside.

Posted by: txfort | September 7, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Genius Armchair GM’s; why are these blunders, or mistakes?

I’d love to read your answers but my favorite pop-up ad just appeared which will be a much more intelligent read.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | September 7, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Chase, WAMU, whatever...
My big question is why does Mike Wise make that goofy face in so many of his pics? I'm not sure if he's grittin' or just suggesting that he's not sure why he's here.
Anybody see that?

Posted by: scheermadness | September 7, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

don't all of you rocket scientists that are complaining about the Daniel decision realize that his spot was basically taken by Marcus Mason? If they'd have cut MArcus Mason you'd be on here complaining about that. Chances are a 3rd string QB isn't going to contribute much.

Posted by: BigRich1 | September 7, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that other teams can figure out what to do with "undersized" quarterbacks? The size of Drew Breeze hasn't seemed to hurt the Saint's offense very much.

I wasn't a huge Daniels fan but this just seems to be another indicator of Snyder & Cerrato not having any sort of long term plan. Why bring in somebody who you think is too small? What was the point?

Posted by: johnnyreds | September 7, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody arguing for Mason know that it would cost Chase his spot?

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

For those dissing Daniel as too short, he was measured 6-0 at the NFL combine, which makes him as tall or taller than Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer and Joe Theisman. He rallied the Skins over the Steelers, led the team in passing TDs with soft touch and precision. The Saints watched the tape. Redskins brass drop the pass.

Posted by: bearbryant | September 7, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This is another damned if you do, damned if you don't. The team can only keep 53 players and realistically all the anger on this blog report is at the front office over the 53rd player. Come on people, Daniel? Cerrato and Snyder made a major blunder on the 53rd guy? The only reason people are upset is because a guy that the Skins signed as a un-drafted FA was claimed by another team. So someone else wanted him. Happens all the time. Had he gone through waivers and come back to our taxi-squad, everyone would have thought it was a bad move to hang on to him since no-one else wanted him. We are talking about a 3rd string QB. You can't keep everyone. You people sound like someone who is upset when someone comes to your garage sale and offers to buy some of your junk. Then all of the sudden you want to keep it because someone else wants it. Just let it go. I get the underdog thing but please, it's the last roster spot. How come nobody is whining about Cody Glenn? We spent a draft pick on that one.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | September 7, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Chase is constantly catching hell over his height, but he brings things to the position that are hard to come by in QBs. He is a definite leader on the field. A true field General. Remember, he didn't get hardly any snaps in practice, and still came out and moved the time. Chase really liked Coach Zorn and wanted to study under him. But not getting signed for the 3rd QB position, opened up his thinking. New Orleans is a perfect fit for him. He's going to a team that obviously cares about ability more than a tape measure. I bet he is signed to the roster and sees the field this year.

Posted by: scout72762 | September 7, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Can someone clear this up for me (because The Insider didn't make it clear)...I thought if a team claimed a player off waivers they had to add them to their 53. Which would mean that Chase did clear waivers and chose to sign with the Saints over the Skins. The article does say that Daniel chose to sign with the Saints.

If that is the case it makes total sense to me why he would. He would get a chance to emulate a QB he very much resembles in Drew Brees. A lot of the knocks on Chase (height, pass-happy offense) are the same ones they said about Brees when he came out of Purdue. He also steps into a system and coaching situation that is more stable. I'm sure VC and Zorn were hoping no one else was going to be interested in him, but clearly he showed enough talent. Oops.

But for those of you complaining about the Woodson signing, it actually makes sense since he spent all of last year (practice squad) and training camp with our first opponent. Who better was available to run the scout team this week?

Posted by: ts35 | September 8, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse