Davis Determined to Keep Coaches' Trust

No player has had to work harder to gain the trust of the coaching staff than pass-catching tight end Fred Davis.

As a rookie, the former Southern California all-American caused a stir when he missed the final day of the 2008 minicamp and had to be located by team security personnel. Davis also struggled to learn Coach Jim Zorn's playbook, prompting Zorn to scale back his plans to use Davis and Pro Bowler Chris Cooley in many two-tight end sets last season.

Davis, however, impressed coaches with his approach in offseason workouts and continued to exhibit an improved understanding of his role during camp. Excited about having expanded responsibilities in the offense this season, Davis eagerly anticipated last week's preseason opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

But Davis fumbled twice and the Ravens recovered one of the balls. That's a quick way to have the coaching staff lose confidence in you, and Davis said he's determined to avoid that path again after having worked so hard to regain credibility with Zorn and the staff.

"I've thought about it," said Davis, who had two receptions for 17 yards. "But now I'm done thinking about it, and I just have to make sure to hold on to the ball. I just have to make sure it's not a habit. I don't want it to be a habit."

As a senior at USC, where he finally thrived after being converted from a wide receiver to a tight end, Davis had a personal-best 62 receptions for 881 yards (a 14.2-yard average) and eight touchdowns. Davis, who holds all of the Trojans' season and career receiving records for tight ends, was the recipient of the John Mackey Award, presented to college football's top tight end.

In Zorn's modified version of the West Coast offense, the team is expected to operate more frequently in two-tight end sets this season because the staff now has confidence in Davis, who knows this is his big chance, he said.

"They want me to do a lot, so, yeah, it's good when you hear that," Davis said. "Whenever there's a two-tight end set, I'm in there. And if Chris is out, if he has to come out for some reason, they want me to make sure I can do whatever he does. They want me to be ready for everything. I am."

Davis intends to do a better job with the ball in his hands Saturday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field.

"It's already something [other teams] notice on film," he said. "One [ball] was stripped and the other one ... I just tried to make a play before I got a good hold of the ball. I tried to make a first down, but you have to catch the ball before you go. That's what you have to do."

By Jason Reid  |  August 19, 2009; 10:07 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley, Daniels and Morning Update
Next: Cooley Sidelined by Back Spasms (Updated)

Comments

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

More TDs than Cooley this year.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 19, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

*From previous thread*

"I get no inkling from the FO that they'll let Zorn go beyond this year w/o two playoff wins"

The FO has said nothing to this regard, in fact they've said nothing PERIOD, how did you come up with such randomness??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

It's true that the FO has not said anything specifically, but I think history bears out the original statement.

- Norv. There isn't a person in here who thinks handing Norv his walking papers was not (a) justified, and (b) overdue (notwithstanding the year he FINALLY managed to get us to the playoffs)

- Marty. This could go as a negative on Danny's resume. Marty wanted too much control, but I believe Marty would have gotten us on the right long term track.

- Spurrier. Danny wanted him back for season 3 and wanted to focus on improving the D. Spurrier walked.

- Gibbs. Danny wanted him back for season 5 and wanted to focus on improving the O. Gibbs walked.

- Zorn. Unless Zorn just screws the pooch here, I don't see Danny running him outta town next year. even if Cowher or Shanahan are available.

Point is, Snidely is many things, but fast with the coach broom he is not.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 19, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm... I suppose I misinterpreted the 'Let Zorn go' phrase. I'm actually with you BeanTownGreg

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

T_E's Guide to Posting on RI:

1. Come up with a sign-on that is the complete antithesis of what you really are.
2. Cut and paste a random post
3. Argue the other side of the stated issue
4. If the poster comes up with a good retort to your argument, get belligerent and start name-calling. That'll teach 'em for challenging you...
4. Repeat with multiple posters

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, you LIST MAKER!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 19, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Nice Brownwood. A little derivative, but about what I'd expect. Oh, and the number after "4"? That would be "5". Just in case you forgot.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"In Zorn's modified version of the West Coast offense, the team is expected to operate more frequently in two-tight end sets this season because the staff now has confidence in Davis,..."

So we draft a tight end with the 2nd round pick--not an agile tackle in Sam Baker, mind you--so he can be a blocking tight end?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, you LIST MAKER!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 19, 2009 10:29 AM

Not a very good one, as I put 4 down twice. Just watch, T_E is gonna harp on that and not even bother to refute the content of the list...that's his MO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Consistentcy and stability in the coaching staff make for the greatest success in the NFL. Look at Tenn, Pitt, Phil & NE.

It makes sense to give zorn his three years to see what he makes of the team. If we do not have a deep run ino the playoffs by then, we have justification for dismissal.

The musical chair of coaching is not going to get us anywhere quickly.

As for last season, I give Zorn 40% of the blame for the 2-6 finish. He failed to adapt to the personnel he had left. The other 60% goes to the FO for not having good OL backups in place.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 19, 2009 10:31 AM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 19, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

moe, didn't Sam Baker get picked at 21, so he was off the board when the Davis pick was made.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:31 AM

John...did I not call that? The minute I posted that, here he is!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:32 AM

Ooh! Another girlie slap from Brownwood!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Last one TE:

But yeah he is crappe coach who is never considered for HC jobs...

I believe the gamer kids say "pwned"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:33 AM

I think he's referencing the fact that the 21st pick was originally the Skins pick, if they don't make the trade to get those additional 2nd rounders and just take Baker at 21, this team is better of than if it gets the addition picks and wastes it on a tight end. That's what I think he's saying there...

And I totally agree if that's the case.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Fred will be a pleasant surprise this year. Malcolm is the #2. Devin Thomas will be hanging out with Charles Rogers in two years.

Posted by: brian58 | August 19, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

John...did I not call that? The minute I posted that, here he is!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:33 AM

Well, it was actually five minutes, wasn't it brownwood? Can you say "five"? That's the number right after four.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

don't you have to give the sam baker versus the triplets a little more time before you pass judgement? Its been what a whole year and all....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

got beeped:

Beaner - the 2 PO win scenario is entirely my supposition, obviously. I would easily concede a playoff appearance could keep his job. Maybe even a winning season only, though I sincerely believe that's a stretch.

However, since it's all conjecture, let me share my logic: Zorn and Soup are tied together in performance as evidenced in offseason action. Soup has been on teams with a playoff win, though I don't believe HE has won two consecutive. For the FO to accept his progression, he would need two wins. And as goes Soup, so goes Zorn. That, I believe, the FO has indicated by leaving Zorn out of the QB chase in the offseason.

Granted, my opinion only, but I believe the logic is sound enough. Happy to consider other scenarios - but all I hear is how I'm wrong, with no other scenario to fill that void. Prognosticate, my friend.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

If the two tight end set was, or is a part of Zorn's playbook, then why not trot Yoder out there and have him in the formation.

You'd think that if Davis was that bad, they could of at least still ran the set with Yoder as the 2nd TE. I don't recall seeing that formation at all.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 19, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Ooh! Another girlie slap from Brownwood!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:35 AM

Your mother enjoys it, thought you would too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

P1, there's ample evidence, besides the record, to can an HC that wasn't even qualified for the job in the first place.

You like him, fine. You want to wait it out beyond a non-winning season, fine. I don't think the FO is with you there... but they haven't said ;]

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't know where you are going with your take.

If we are talking about the past and whether it was a good move to bring him on in the first place, I would say "No". I was a proponent of promoting Grilliams, keeping Al, and letting the project that Gibbs built play out.

But if we are talking about the present/future and whether it is sensible to fire a 1st year guy who went 8-8, then I'd say that's dumb.

He spent half the year wildly exceeding expectations and then half the year coming back down to earth...not a fireable offense in my book for a guy who had never even had a coordinator's position.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:38 AM

At least you're consistent...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't have any evidence or statement or whatever, just a personal feeling, but after the 10 player draft and the $100 million plus offseason if we miss the playoffs I think its goodbye Zorn, Jc, and hopefully maybe finally Vinny and hello Shanahan, Holmgren, or Cowher.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

the silence is deafening...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Today's Feature Pissing Match:

BW v. TE; part XII....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

But yeah he is crappe coach who is never considered for HC jobs...

I believe the gamer kids say "pwned"

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:35 AM

So he was turned down for three and not interviewed for 15 others. And you're sticking with your story that “eveyone else in the league considers Grimm a solid HC candidate”?

Nice of you to concede that you're pwned. I would have settled for "agree to disagree."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Spilling over from post to post...(Brownwood, you did call it..)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"- Marty. This could go as a negative on Danny's resume.

Point is, Snidely is many things, but fast with the coach broom he is not."

Could go? Especially in the context of rash decisions, there is no other way that could possibly be interpreted.

Norv? One season.

Spurrier? Two seasons. (And I don't recall Snyder being giddy at the thought of bringing Spurrier back for year 3. In fact, I remember it being a near mutual split.)

The ONLY guy that got a long leash was Joe Gibbs, for understandable reasons.

Look, I think that Zorn as a decent shot at becoming a good coach for this squad, but I'm not blinding myself to the obvious. Snyder is far from patient with head coaches. And Zorn does not have a $25 million guaranteed contract like Spurrier did (which is probably the only reason Snyder would have brought him back for year 3, and why Snyder was far from distraught when Spurrier quit - thus relieving Snyder of his obligation). Zorn can easily be fired without much of a penalty for Snyder. Reports have already come out of Snyder flirting with Shanahan (during the Cutler fiasco).

I don't think it will take a minimum of 2 playoff wins, but I do think it will take either a top 10 offense or a playoff appearance for Zorn to keep his job. Either way, Zorn is most definitely on the hot seat.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Also just wanted to say that my take on Zorn is parallel to my take on JC17.

It's not that I particularly "like" them. I don't know what to make of them yet.

I have to admit that there is insufficient evidence to make a fair judgement.

You can't pull the rug out from under JC17 EVERY YEAR with a new coach/offense, and then criticize him b/c he falls down alot.

You can't take an 8-8 first year head coach and reasonably fire him based on an 8-game stretch.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Just from looking at the WP stats on baker, he started 5 games, had issues with concussions and missed 2 games because of it, and also had to have mid-season back surgery.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that is still more production than our 2nd round triplets gave us last year...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

second rounders? that is more productive than 9 of our 10 picks....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Getting rough up here this morning. I want to see Agnone make the team…..he almost had a highlight reel catch the other night but couldn’t quite hold on. I have not heard anything about his blocking….I like Yoder, but I guess I really wouldn’t miss the guy. If Cooley or Davis gets dinged up I think Agnone is more of a receiveing threat than Yoder is….Looked like Colt was looking his way a lot. We’ll see I guess….

As far as Zorn goes, they need to give a guy more than 2 seasons to show what he’s got. Even if they go 5-11 this year…….I also don’t join in with the folks who think Cowhwer, Shanahan, or Holmgren are any sort of answer. Took Cowher 15 years to win one, Shanahan hasn’t done JACK SQUAT since Elway retired, and Holmgen, while I can’t argue too much against him, he’s gonna run the same show as Zorn…..I would root for Russ Grimm to be hired IF they fired Zorn, but I am in no way saying that Zorn should be fired until after at least 4 years……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

agree to disagree is for losers...

First of all I never said "everyone" thats sets you up to lose. So don't hang that on me. Between this thread and the last I made a solid, reasoned, evidenced case why you are wrong.

But your assertion that Grimm is not a viable, respected, and probable HC canidate is ludicrous as its obvious you have not read the 6-8 pieces of contradictory evidence that I have posted. I am not repeating its all there if you care to go back. But continue to throw up the strawman arguement that 1 0f 15. The devil is in the details as your looking at none of the circumstances.

again, I will stick with Bill Cowher on this one OK TE?

We can agree to disagree about your knowledge/acumen/opinion/beliefs/impressions/feelings/observations on football....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Would love to see Davis turn into our Tony Gonzalez, big target in the Red Zone...gosh maybe any of our pass catchers turning into a redzone threat would be nice.

Unfortunately...I think if Zorn only makes the wild card, which will be tough this year with Eagles and Gints looking pretty solid...I think they will remove him or ask him to stay on as OC, but nobody knows what goes on it that lil head of Danny's.

I do wish Cerrato to be gone, he and ARE every night I pray they leave, every night...

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 19, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"Point is, Snidely is many things, but fast with the coach broom he is not.
Posted by: mattsoundworld"

Nicely argued, but if he's not a quick-change artist, he's doing a mighty good impression of one.

Part of the problem is the rumor mill. When's the last time we didn't hear that Dan was fascinated with this or that high profile coach or player? You have to figure the sources are inside the FO because the next thing you hear is Dan and Vinny are out at Morton's or the equivalent, meeting privately in public about undisclosed issues... I'm suggesting that Dan is one of those entrepreneurs whose favorite coach/player is 'the next one'.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

There is a thin line between insanity and some Skins fan. The question is why are some morons calling for Zorn's head at the beginning of his 2nd year? Thank goodness none of these misinformed dumb heads are in any position of power to effect any change. It seems like some idiots just write whatever comes to their insane mind without any mind to brain co-ordination. Yeah right, fire Jim Zorn with less than a month to season opener? Anyone who further post such nonsense should do everyone a favor and check into "psycho-rehab" or such individual should jail his own mother for giving him such an idiotic and useless brain.
Even the almighty Joe Gibbs did not perfect his art until 2nd season, why should Zorn be any different?

Posted by: abxinc | August 19, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

May I just state the tired addage:

Don't throw good money after bad. i.e., if you shouldn't have hired the guy, you shouldn't let him keep loosing.

Oh, & I'm not a 'fire the guy for not producing' kind of fan. Like I said - I wanted Robiskie & Lewis...

There are other factors here w/ my opinion of Zorn besides record. I keep hearing arguments that he 'deserves a chance'. Why is that exactly? 'Cause he took a job no one else wanted? What are his qualifications?!

This season is his. He doesn't need a Stuporbowl. But a melt-down like last year, IMO, doesn't warrant another chance. It warrants dismissal.

As I stated, if you want to ride a medium between 2 PO wins and an 8-8 season, I can grant you that. But as I laid out as well, the logic indicates his bar is set at two playoff wins.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I suspect we'd be wrong to think Zorn's fate (or that of any Skins coach) rests solely on the team's performance. If Abe Pollin can fire Micheal Jordan, Dan Snyder can fire anybody. He'll find a reason if he needs one.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

This is for PSP and all the other CR22 backers....

Did you know Rogers wanted to be traded and his agent told Vinny his intentions during the combine? And those disgruntled looks he was giving during the time DHall arrived until the the end of the season, that he was actually disgrunteled?

I like Carlos and I am rooting for him to do good, but like Jerry Gray says into this article, it's time to step up and hold onto a few of those balls....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

So I'm not the only one that thinks T E is a tool?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I am on record for not being a big Zorn fan, but no way would be smart (wouldn't be pruuudent) to can him now or even after this season, unless its like a 2-14 stinker.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I like Yoder, but I guess I really wouldn’t miss the guy.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Make no mistake; this team would sorely miss Yoder. He's probably their best blocking TE, he can catch, he does special teams.

So far Fred Davis looks like a one-trick-pony tight end who doesn't even do his one trick very well.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:51 AM

It would be if I had asserted that. Where did I assert that?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Almost the entire blog is speculation...why do people get so mad about other posters speculating about what they think is going to happen.

Much like people speculating about he might get fired, others speculate that he might stay...SEE HOW THAT WORKS.

The whole thing is a rumor mill, unless The "Mayor" is submitting some feedback and info from practice.

It's ok, lets all take a look in the mirror and realize that non of us our GM's, but it is fun to think about it.

Hail Skins!

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Not only hold onto some balls, but play at a high level consistently.

Apart from a 6-8 game stretch to open the year last year, CR22 has NOT looked like a #9 overall pick.

He's not a shut-down corner in coverage; he has a history of getting burned on moves; and he doesn't catch the ball.

His best asset is that he's a big/physcial guy who won't get bullied off the line and he's a good tackler - sounds more like a safety, than a corner...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hail Skins!

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Is it ACTUALLY fun to think about?

Or are you just speculating?

;}

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for posting, interesting, Rogers needs to put up/shut up this year if he wants the big dough...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

abxinc - you're ITA from the git-go. Follow the logic, a$$clown. Disagree all you want, but it's a valid point. There are TOnS of reasons why Zorn doesn't get the same rope JG did...

AND in case you missed it, I'm not calling for his head (I don't think anyone else did either), I'm saying the FO will dump him if he doesn't perform this year. Not exactly a contraversial opinion (anywhere else but this blog, I guess).

Are you advocating keeping him if he stinks up the joint again? Just askin' is all...
____________________________________

Back on topic:

I just tried to make a play before I got a good hold of the ball. I tried to make a first down, but you have to catch the ball before you go. That's what you have to do ugh... he's a second year pro and he needs to remember to catch the ball first?.... how about remembering to wear a helmet? dain bramage.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 19, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

CL, I respectfully disagree, if our offense is still stagnant to horrible, if the 2nd rounders don't progress, if JC still can only manage 13 TDs in a 16 game season and if we're still CP, Cooley, and Moss then I say regardless of the regard (barring a deep playoff run) Zorn would and should be fired. He was hired as an offensive guy with the big mandate to progress JC and make our O respectable finally. If after two seasons he can't get anything out of guys who were stars at major college programs and is unable to help a 5th year pro in his second full season in his system improve than that is a failed job of coaching.....IMO its playoffs or bust for Zorn.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

4th, it was pretty obvious he was disgruntled. I don't think anybody denied that.

And so far, the Redskins made the right decision. Kept Rogers, didn't deal him away, and made him an essential component to this defense.

Yep, holding on to the ball is about the only think Rogers needs to improve on. Everybody knows this. But other than that, he's an elite corner.

There was an article earlier this year from an analyst that watched every snap in the NFL with a focus on DBs, and ranked the top cornerbacks based on relevant statistics like attempts against, forced incompletions, yards per catch, TDs given up, INTs, etc. Carlos Rogers ranked 12th in the league according to his rankings, in front of other NFC East notables Asante Samuel, Terrence Newman, and Deangelo Hall, among others. Rogers is the real deal. Yes, he can improve his hands. But everything else is pristine.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, people.

(Hand in the chest)

Not you T_E...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If were playing a team like say the Browns maybe. Would you rather your corner have A. an int or B. have a debilitating, folding lawn chair type hit on their teams best playmaker say like a Josh Cribbs.
Im gonna go with B, lay off CR22 dropped int's are pass deflections that what DBs get paid for. Dhall has the ints covered now, Los is the punisher, one of the more respected tackling backs in the league.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

psps, I'd be interested in seeing that article

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Why couldn't we run two-TE sets with Cooley and Yoder? I don't recall Yoder ever seeing dropping a pass . . .

It would be great to get some good protection/production from Davis but why isn't Yoder in this conversation?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 19, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

tactically I think 2 TE sets would be an excellent use of our current talent and Gibb's run philosophy. 7 guys along the line with 2 who could slip out and catch passes can create great match up problems, and be that asymmetry that gives the 'Skins a tactical advantage and force teams to game plan for those sets.
If it works, Zorn could create his own strand of offense that could give the 'Skins that unique identity they need.

Posted by: pdfordiii | August 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

My guess for why Zorn would want Davis instead of Yoder in his two tight-end sets is that he wants the flexibility for either tight-end to threaten the deep middle / seam, put pressure on the safeties, and also create matchup problems with linebackers.

Yoder is a solid blocker / receiver / special teamer, but he doesn't have the speed to threaten the deep seam, or the athleticism to beat one-on-one coverage consistently.

Hopefully Davis soon proves worthy of the pick. If he can become a decent blocker as well, it gives Zorn a ton of options to run or pass out of the 2 TE sets.

It sounds like they are keeping three TEs for now on the roster.

Posted by: ts35 | August 19, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

this two playoff win crap is ridiculous. if that is the bar for zorn fire him now. the gambling world had the skins as the worst team in their division. just from an odds or statistical likeyhood perspective the vegas insiders think it is highly unlikely they make the playoffs. so getting their would be a miracle. then winning the first game, second miracle. then winning the second game, third miracle. the skins have a 1 in 10 shot of winning 2 playoff games if thier odds to wins superbowl are 25 to 1. so the two playoff wins or your fired crowd is saying that if a coach doesn't do 10 times better than he is projected to d he will be fired. Zorn work three miracles or you are out. LMAO except Danny is that stupid and keeps a coach here on average 2.1 years so zorn is onver half his life span lol.

Posted by: SmokeyBandit | August 19, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see what F.Davis can do if Cooley goes down. In Cooley, we have a great TE already. In all the talks about multi-TE sets, can F. Davis step up and be the man if needed? C.Cooley is our most consistent receiving threat, and losing him for a few games seems to me to be a lot worse than losing Moss or Portis. Would rather see Davis fumble in preseason than in the regular season. I think he is correct in that all opposing defenders are going to try to strip the ball from him going forward.

Posted by: HughGRection | August 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

SOUTHERN CAL players are generaLLY GREAT PLAYERS UNDER pete carrill'S SYSTEM, NOT SO MUCH IN THE nfl. sTAY AWAY FROM DRAFTING THEM AS A GENERAL RULE. tHERE ARE EXCEPTIONS OF COURSE. sOMEBODY REMIND ME - WHO IS A EXCEPTION FROM sc?

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 19, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Base Declaration of 2009
______________________________________

It appears that the Redskins fan base is partially comprised of a group of "football geniuses". These football academicians are obviously wasting their lives in their current jobs!

Moreover, I think they are wasting their time even posting here because the rest of us fans are just not smart enough to understand how terrible the Redskins are for eternity!

In order to save these football geniuses' time, I suggest we all admit the following principles so to free the football geniuses to perform other scholarly football activity.

Summary of Redskin Football Status per RFKROX and other super-smart and negative posters:

1) Redskins are the worst team in the NFL forever.

2) Redskins need a new owner, a new general manager, a new head coach, a
new set of offensive and defensive coaches. They need a new QB, A new offensive line, a new set of recievers and tight ends. Redskins also need a new set of defensive players, plus a new stadium in a new city.

3) Unless #2 above is accomplished, the Redskins will have horrible seasons forever.

4) Redskins are worst than all other NFL teams

5) All other NFL teams have better owners, coaches and players

6) Anybody who ever hope that the Redskins will have any success is devoid of any football acumen.

7) Redskins' yabadabadoo is the worst in the NFL!

As the representative for football-dumb Redskins fans, I admit that above information is forever true. We worship the ground where the football geniuses consume large amounts of brew daily.

Based on the above admission, I ask the football geniuses not to waste their time on these boards anymore. They should start consulting other fan bases and enlighten them on a daily basis regarding how inadequate their teams are. Redskins are a lost cause, so why bother?

We have also asked the Redskins gestapo to stop holding a gun to people's head to force them be a Redskins fan.

Effective immediately, all football geniuses are thereby relieved from their state-sponsored duties to be a Redskins fan. This is true, I am not kidding. Nobody is going to be sued if they stop being Redskins fan. Moreover, people are also free not to watch the games on TV or go the stadium!! I am absolutely not making this up guys!

You all have the freedom to adore Wade Phillips and Tom Brady. Hell, you guys can even date them, both, at the same time. Feel free to take along your family too!

HTTR